All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Square Point of Sale

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

Square Point of Sale Reviews

Pros

I love being able to create different locations and taylor the products, pricing and taxes to each location individually. Integration with Craftybase is excellent.

Anya B.

Read the full review
I've only used square point as the person who is paying. It is so easy, seamless, and i love that it can send you a text message or email as a receipt.

Read the full review
Good pricing and customer support available. Great hardware options - Android and IOS Capability.

Read the full review

Cons

The only thing that has ever been slightly frustrating is the traditional card reader being sensitive when swiping cards. Sometimes I'll have to try 3-4 times to get it to register.

Allie L.

Read the full review
I'm unsure if this is my error or the unit itself. Always works after i unplug device and plug it back in.

Brandy M.

Read the full review
I've needed to replace the swiping device a few times now and it can sometimes be difficult when trying to read a card out in the elements.

Heather C.

1,225

1,659 reviews

Easy to use, no commitment

Transcript

Kim: Hi, I'm Kim. I am a naturopathic doctor and I give Square point of sale a four out of five. For...

Square Is the Best on the Market

Transcript

Jennifer: Hi, my name is Jennifer. I am a general manager in the hospitality industry, and I rate Square...

A huge help when running estate sales

Square point of sale has been a great asset allowing us to take card payments not only in person when we run an estate sale but also over the phone for clients who wish to pay their invoices with a card versus a check. The option of a text or email receipt is also very helpful for those who want proof of purchase/payment when we don't have a printer onsite.

Pros

It allows us to take card payments for any amount using the app when a customer doesn't have cash instead of the risk of taking a check.

Cons

The processing fees are competitive with other services such as PayPal but still high and cut into our profits.

Square POS offers new and flexible use

Overall, I would 100% recommend Square for new businesses. Start up costs can be next to nothing and it doesn’t require someone to install it. And NO CONTRACTS :) You can then add on their additional features which should be able to sustain your businesses growth for as long as you need it too. In terms of switching to square, make sure your existing equipment can be reused .

Pros

Square is offering a software that is versatile and also nearly free for a new business that doesn’t have money to spend on start up costs or an existing business that has been ripped off from an expensive POS company. You can literally just use your iPhone with a card swipe. Or for the brick and mortars use their new and sleek looking square register. In terms of interface, Squares basic dashboard is free to the public and can be set up as fast as signing up for a email account. You can learn it’s navigation in a matter of minutes and you are able to subscribe for the extras you need like loyalty, gift cards or marketing. Very simple, very user friendly, and the support is actually helpful.

Cons

Switching from a POS company that requires a lot of upfront infrastructure and training, I don’t have a lot of bad things to say about squares POS and software other than the existing equipment they told us we could use hasn’t necessarily been easy to re use. Also you are not able to get as granular in customizing some features as other softwares

Square is definitely the best POS ever

Overall my experience with Square is excellent. Is the best POS, the best customer service, the best rates, I never had any troubles. And I use ir more than 7 years already.

Pros

The software is easy to use, has a lot of functionalities, reports, low rates, referral program, it’s all good.

Cons

I don’t have any complaints. Square is the best POS I ever saw. Has everything a company needs and more.

Great features but not the most reliable

Square has amazing features and is easy to use. It's also great to take on the go. I would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for the issues with buffering and transactions not going through. Because of these issues, Square was too unreliable for me.

Pros

Square was really easy to set up and use. It has a lot of great features like analytics, sales reports, manual credit card entry, and more. It's also really easy to set up and edit your menu. The fees that Square takes on credit card payments are not high and are very reasonable. Square is also excellent for on-the-go sales and is very portable. It's easy to take to different venues and events.

Cons

I encountered a lot of problems with Square. I was mainly using it to sell goods at my local farmer's market. Often after swiping a customer's credit card Square would be stuck with the loading symbol and the transaction would never go through. There were many times I had to shut down the app and reopen and ask the customer to swipe again with another credit card. There have been times where the customer...

Great software

I do continue to use Square point of sale for my customers in-person as well as on my website. Overall, I do enjoy the software as it is very detailed and everything is done for you. You get invoices for each purchase.

Pros

I downloaded Square Point of Sale for my book signing. I loved it! It was easy to navigate for myself as well as my customers.

Cons

What I liked least is the percentage that it takes from the purchases. Also, it did appear with that first purchase, it required a few extra steps.

Square POS app

This has been great with no problems! It allows me to bill anywhere and review my billing history. It gives me a breakdown of new clients and how many returning. One thing I would like to see change is the 1099 form. It only gives me one if I sell more than $20K in products a year. I would like to be less and more flexible for small business owners!

Pros

This is portable and accessible from anywhere. I also like that I can send invoices, schedule a time for it to send and set up reminders to the client!

Cons

On the initial setup, my profession was not setup up properly so I was not able to accept HSA or FSA credit cards. It was because there was no option for me as an alternative healthcare provider. Customer service helped me and my issue was fixed!!

Excellent POS Software

My overall experience with Square POS is amazing. I have recommended this app to so many people. I’ve known about this product since it’s beginning back when you could get a card reader for free on the mail. This app has always been a saving grace for me. Honestly I will never use any other POS.

Pros

This software is so EASY to use. Literally it’s a no brainer. I have used this app in conjunction with StylieOne which was an appointment scheduling app and it made collecting payments from my clients so simple. I love the sales and transaction reports that I have access to because it makes my life easier come tax time. Also this app sends you daily sales reports to your email. The equipment to use with the app is inexpensive.

Cons

There aren’t any cons to the service. Honestly it’s a great service all around. I can’t see how anyone would be disappointed.

Good Day, Bad Day

I’m a bit sad. For 6 years I have been using “Shopkeep” as my point of sale software provider. This is my cash register, and where I enter my inventory descriptions, quantities, prices, customer data and pretty much everything about my business. My sales histories, credit card transactions and, most importantly, 6 years of sales and customer info is stored on a distant Shopkeep cloud…. I think? Six...

Pros

It operates just like your mind works. It is so logical. It was so simple to upload my inventory and customer data.

Cons

No option for another color system. The white color sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, I would say they nailed it.

Square is so convenient

Super easy to navigate and user-friendly. Customer service has also always been very helpful.

Pros

I love how portable and easy to use the hardware is. It makes all the difference being able to be mobile and also look professional.

Cons

I don't like that it doesn't integrate with Wix. It's less convenient when I have to toggle b/w Square and Stripe.

Easy to Use POS

I love how easy Square is to use and implement into a new business.

Pros

I love the mobility of it. I can use it from anywhere and also have the opportunity to send invoice right away.

Cons

I find that sometimes it’s hard to work if the internet connection isn’t good. I also don’t like the way you have to cancel a series of invoices. It’s a multi step process to cancel them correctly.

Love Love Square

Overall, I prefer square any day over stripe and PayPal payments.

Pros

Love live square. Love that it can be used for both in store and online payments. It sync with my quickbooks which saves me a whole lot of time. It gives detail daily reports which includes best seller of the day, number of sales, number of products sold and what type of product sold, taxes paid, types of payment the customers used, plus it syncs with my online store inventory. Square gives you all the detail info you never realized you need till you need it all in one place. So easy to use and tailored for retailers. Love the Apple Pay feature too.

Cons

My big con with square integration is it doesn’t sync well with bigcommerce. By that I mean, my online sales gets imported as a custom order so there is no itemized list of what the customers bought. Also with bigcommerce, there is no way for me to take Apple Pay or other digital wallet payments. Square does have digital wallet payment options with their square space shopping cart. Fingers crossed they will fix this custom import stuff soon.

Easiest and simplest way to start taking credit card payments for your office

Great. Simple and easy to use. People have said that their customer service is extremely hard to get hold of, but we have used it for 3 years and have had no reason to contact customer service.

Pros

Square POS was very easy to set up. The first card reader you receive (a simple plug in to an iPad or iPhone) was free. We created an account online, attached a bank account, and created a menu of items/services we provide. Then we simply chose photos for each service or product category so that it looks nicer in the app for our employees. The result was a very simple set up and a very clean looking...

Cons

Square does take 2.75% of your transaction each time. You can find cheaper alternatives, but not with the ease of set up and use that comes with Square. The bigger con about Square POS is that if you have take a payment over the phone and manually type in their credit card information instead of typing it, they charge extra at 3.5% of the transaction. Also, the first card reader they send you is a...

Great for anyone wanting to start a business.

It's hard for me to find anything wrong with Square. We have never really been tempted by the competition, and I doubt we will be anytime soon. Perhaps if you are running a store with more products or customers you may benefit from a different system, but I would suggest Square to anyone starting out. You can get set up today, and your customers already know how to use it.

Pros

I was working as a barista in a new coffee location in my local town. The owner of the shop was pretty new to the industry, and didn't have a lot of business experience. She needed a way to run cards, and she was looking at a few different solutions, but I mentioned Square, and she ran to CVS and bought one right away. She wasn't very tech savvy, so I volunteered to get it set up. It probably took...

Cons

Some of the reporting features can be confusing to read, and more than once have resulted in us blindly refunding customers. Sometimes the card readers gave us problems, but this was usually solved with a quick reset.

Own a business? You NEED this product!

If you're a business owner and you sell products or services, especially if you have multiple sites and/or have a mobile sales force, this product is a must. The access is easy, the interface is friendly, and the payment system is quick.

Pros

EASY to set up and use! In short time, we were able to set up our entire library online and make it simple to purchase and sell products. Once set up, everything is available to every member of team, so that one of our book sellers in California has access to the same products as a book seller in Michigan the moment the product is placed online. I also love that we can easily create multiple price...

Cons

Honestly, there is little to NOT like about this system. I've tried several others and since switching to Square 5 years ago, I've never looked back.

After research, seemed like best choice on a small nonprofit's limited budget.

Our previous credit card processor charged us PCI compliance fee but didn't help us with our compliance issues. They were happy to charge an additional price. PCI noncompliance fee for more than a year. Switching our four physical locations and website to Square resolved those issues and saved those fees. Square Retail would no doubt help us more with inventory management, but we can't afford the extra monthly cost for the multiple locations. Software Advice and other review sites were very helpful in sorting through the hundreds of options and convincing our board that we could afford to make the switch to Square to help staff reduce time spent to manage both sales and inventory.

Pros

Fairly intuitive and forgiving (can back out of most screens if not sure where to find function you're looking for). Sales and national park visitor center staff really like the system, and have had little difficulty learning it. We have it set up with wi-fi on AT&T U-Verse and satellite internet and on a Verizon wireless-enabled iPad. Offline mode has worked during power interruptions and automatically...

Cons

Would be extremely helpful to have searchable, downloadable start-up and user guides instead of having to cut and paste from web pages, which doesn't work well. We had to make a lot of phone calls to tech support during initial set-up, particularly for uploading inventory, because we couldn't find instructions online. Very time-consuming and tricky to upload inventory spreadsheet files that include...

Square delivers plenty of features at low cost

Pros

I have run a brick-and-mortar for more than 19 years, and got rid of my traditional merchant account about 5 years ago when fees became outrageous and unstable, and I also needed a mobile payment system as my bank did not offer one. I did some research and settled on Square. The product is intuitive and easy to navigate, and the cost for processing credit cards is reasonable at 2.75% for swiped and...

Cons

I have found very little to dislike. I have seen comments online about deposits being held, a lack of ability to communicate easily with Square (initially, they had no phone customer service, but I always got very quick response from their techs via Twitter in the early days), and difficulty in raising deposit limits. I run two small businesses using Square, and for one of them had to ask for a large increase in daily deposits as my business grew. This was handled easily via email communications and took only a few days.

Square Point of Sale for Gift Card Sales

Over all, having the ability to sell E-gift cards from my existing website without a monthly fee was a huge game changer for my salon company! We went from selling $200-$300 per year in online gift card sales to well over $2000 the first holiday season my company offered E-gift cards. I believe the increase was due to the great look of the gift card choices, the Square name that everyone knows and how easily I could added the service to my company website.

Pros

I love how easy and fast it was to set up and link into my website. Square gave me the exact dimensions my photo(s) needed to be for the custom branded E-cards for the Square point of sale. In addition, my main reason for choosing Square Point of Sale for my online gift card sales was that there is no monthly fee to offer the E-cards, my company only pay for processing sales.

Cons

Square Point of Sale continues to improve the software for the E- gift cards, however I wish the system would notify me, the owner, when a customer has purchased a gift card. Customers would bring in their digital gift cards for services and since Square Point of Sale did not integrated into our booking software & our company did not realize the card had been purchased staff would have to search to find the purchased card. I wish the gift card sales and the reporting of the gift card sales was more streamlined.

Not perfect, but a big improvement!

Pros

Sales staff really like it compared to cash register and credit card terminal (or old-fashioned knuckle-buster imprinter for our remote locations). Predictable fees, which have been lower than for our previous traditional credit card processors, especially for in-person purchases and for American Express. No monthly fees or PCI compliance issues. Square Community is a helpful resource. Dashboard with a variety of reports works pretty well, and it's handy to be able to generate sales reports or search for individual transactions quickly.

Cons

Lack of good integration with Magento Community web software (only bottom line charge comes through). No ability to easily transfer inventory from one location to another. Problem with cash total on drawer report not matching sales report. Usually cash drawer is correct, which means sales are not recorded properly. This problem has existed since at least August 2016, while their engineers work on it....

Great as a user and business owner

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an easy to use and up to date transaction platform.

Pros

My first experience with Square Point of Sale was a couple years back as a Receptionist in a Fitness Facility. On a daily basis, we used Square Point of Sale whether it was to buy merchandise, memberships, snacks or sign up for special workshops. What I particularly loved most about Square Point of Sale was its easiness to use and software platform. We could receive payments from the company cellphone,...

Cons

Square Point of Sale is excellent for receiving payments and I don't have any negative experience with the platform. The only thing I wish would be that the analytics and reports that I receive for all payments and invoices would be easier to read. I have a bit of trouble understanding them. Other than that, overall great platform.

Love Square POs

Pros

The POS system is simple and easy to use hands down. The use of our POS integrated with online, loyalty program, marketing, and payroll is a one stop shop integrated and makes life simple and streamlined!

Cons

We paid the original higher cost for the register when it first came out. The price just dropped $200 this week. Our rate remains lower so it will pay for the difference over time since grandfathered in....not much we don’t Ice about this wonderful easy, all in one system!

A cheap, easy, & convenient CC processing alternative.

We take all of our credit/debit card payments through Square, as well as Apple Pay, Android Pay & Samsung Pay. The ability for a customer to pay, sign, and get a receipt e-mailed to their phone while they are still standing in front of me brings a nice sense of trust and completion to each sale.

Pros

It is free to set up and implement initially. Square will even send free card processors (they're the cheap ones that let you take a card payment from your phone/tablet, but it will let you start swiping cards immediately). They help keep track of your sales/accounting for non-card payments, too, as long as you enter in the sales data for them. Additionally, the ability to edit & customize withdrawal options is very helpful. I can get funds deposited on a schedule or whenever I choose to (even instantly, although this incurs an additional 1% fee). It is much cheaper and more convenient than a standard CC payment processor, so anyone with a small or mobile business would be wise to check this out.

Cons

The customer service is a bit lacking. I've never had a real issue with them that didn't resolve itself pretty quickly, but there's been one or two times where I have an issue and get what appears to be an automated response about it. Not a big deal, but when you Google it, on the Square help forums, this kind of response seems to be the norm for most questions/concerns. Fortunately, their system is pretty self-explanatory, that additional personalized help isn't usually needed.

Great POS System for new companies.

Square has done wonders for our small business, it has almost everything you would need for a new business but there is somethings I didn't quite like. The system is great but there are some issues. To actually have track your inventory and have it sync up with Quickbooks required us to purchase Quickbooks online to be able to track our inventory and sync our daily sales. It was a little of a hassle...

Pros

Efficient, reliable, on the go app, easy to use, great for any store, easy to track your sales, keep costumer information that are repeats and order frequently, design and layout is simple and very easy on the eyes, it has two versions to layout your items, either a grid or a list so it is a personal preference of which you like to use, deposits your money that night.

Cons

Can't sync with Quickbooks unless you have Quickbooks Online, sometimes takes a while to start up and get going, the card swipe is very picky you HAVE to swipe it straight through or it doesn't accept the card (something that should be resolved soon I hope!) I just wish it wasn't only able to be used on Apple too. I am not a huge fan of Apple products. I would prefer to use a Samsung or Andriod tablet rather then a Ipad, but that is just a personal preference.

Excellent as a cash register for small businesses

At the ice cream parlor I work at, the register is programmed with all of the items we sell. You can program buttons to create discounts either by a percentage of the sale or with a flat dollar amount. This program tracks sales by day and by product sold. We have used this for probably 2 years now and it allows us to track sales from the years past to see what the trends are. For example, how busy...

Pros

This is an easily programmable software that can be used to create a point of sale register. I work at a coffee/ice cream parlor and we use the software for our register, and it stores our sales information and has been very helpful in marketing and determining what products have been selling well or poorly

Cons

I don't know if there's anything I don't like about this program. It's user friendly and I haven't really found any limitations or holdbacks to our business because of this

In combination with an online shop, Square has more pros than competitors

As stated above, Square has had numerous pros for me when it comes to my apparel business.

Pros

I love Square and have been a loyal user of Square POS & Square payments. For starters, Square is what helped pave the path for me to be able to launch my clothing / apparel business outside of Etsy. I wanted to launch my own site, have independence away from online marketplaces, and have control over my payments, sales, invoices, etc., and Square is what gave me this opportunity. I am able to do everything...

Cons

I have no cons; Square has been my go-to payment processing software and I will not switch in the future.

Square is the best solution for being able to accept credit/debit cards for small businesses

Like I said, it was rocky to start with because smartphones and that kind of tech were not openly out in everyday life. but once that changed, acceptance of Square did as well. Wonderful product!

Pros

- It's easy to use. - I have never had a situation where something had to be refunded. - I've never heard of a complaint from someone who's card was used for a transaction. - super affordable! - Intuitive

Cons

when Square first came out, people were cautious and skeptical. I maybe only performed several transactions in the first couple years. then I stopped using it entirely for a bit, not because of square, but because the public in our area was just not up to date with "modern technologies" lol. Now in the age of technology where everyone has a smart phone people are more than willing to pay somewhere that uses Square.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.