Square Point of Sale Logo

User ratings

4.7

1.7K
  • Likelihood to recommend8.95/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

Square is an awesome piece of software to use. The retail side has great capabilities for sales, inventory, gift cards, rewards, and much much more.

Brian C.

Square is very simple to learn and use as an end user, and it has gain a lot of popularity recently, customers feel more and more comfortable with this system.

Easy and inexpensive way to take credit card payments for my small business. This provider is awesome, and helps my small business to easily accept cards.

If I am to complain about something I would complain about the percentage I am giving back to square but that it the cost of doing business.

The only thing that has ever been slightly frustrating is the traditional card reader being sensitive when swiping cards. Sometimes I'll have to try 3-4 times to get it to register.

Allie L.

I dislike that it fails sometimes and it is not accessible at many different vendors and restaurants.

Square Point of Sale users...

PayPal-logocaret

Shopify POS

PayPal Commerce Platform-logocaret

PayPal Commerce Platform

Compare both
How would you rate Square Point of Sale?

1,794 reviews

Kim A.

Naturopathic Doctor

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Easy to use, no commitment

Transcript

Kim: Hi, I'm Kim. I am a naturopathic doctor and I give Square point of sale a four out of five. For...

Square POS User Review

Transcript

Daniel E.: Hi, I'm Daniel. I'm a senior pastor, and I give Square Point of Sale five stars out of five....

Square Makes Running My Business so Simple

I am a big fan of any software that does a lot...and man Square Point of Sale does A LOT!!! It has seriously made running my business so much easier, and even kind of fun. I love how much I can customize it, how detailed I can get with it, but also how easy it is to create invoices and things on the fly. I can use it across multiple devices, making it useful ANYWHERE.

Pros

I like how much I can customize it; that I can use it across all my devices; I can use it anywhere; it creates records for me, helps with taxes, saves client info. All that stuff that can fall between the cracks.

Cons

I'll admit, I haven't come across anything that is a major flaw so far. Any complaint I have is the sort of thing I would encounter with any online POS and/or accounting software - things like the tediousness of entering product/service items to be saved and other repetitive tasks like that.

Simple and easy

Pros

I like that this is so straight forward and easy. It’s very simple to use and they don’t try to hide a bunch of fees. So clean and simple!

Cons

The only thing that’s sometimes a little frustrating is running reports, it won’t download as pdf. So I have to save it as an image.

Terrible service

It’s been the worst experience ever. Would not recommend to anyone. It’s put me in a pinch trying to wait for the payment processing and ended with refunding the money because I was sick of waiting on customer service a week later and the refund will be another week and then processing payment with another company service qb. Payed for material and employees and all said and done this will be a 3-4 week process sense starting the job. As a small business this can make or break you.

Pros

Nothing.. they hold onto your money if it’s a large amount for over 7 days. Their customer service sucks. It’s expensive for card processing.

Cons

Everything.. I just signed up for quick books and it’s a way better platform and you can do bank transfers or card payments right from the invoice. Quickbooks is worth every dollar for there monthly service. It saves you money in the long run.

Best Choice, Hands Down

My experience has been really really good. This is an ideal product, designed simply to make life and business easier. And that's exactly what it does.

Pros

The simple design and ease of use is my favorite! This made taking electronic payment so easy and effortless. Especially during a time where everyone was already stressed enough, contactless payments meant one less stress on everybody.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about this product! It delivers, and for a fraction of what the competitors are charging. What's there not to like?

Super Simple and Works Great

I've had a great experience. No matter where I am, I can make a sale. This option has truly changed how I sell and get paid. My life is a lot easier and I am making more money just by using Square.

Pros

I had my account and POS device set up in minutes. Literally only took like 10-15 minutes total and I could accept payments anywhere.

Cons

I do feel the customer service could be better. Maybe more direct customer service options to make it easier and more effective.

Most Important Tool

Pros

I cannot say enough about Square. This tool single-handedly changed my business from cash only to full merchant services.

Cons

The different fee rates for each form of payment. While these rates are comparable to other vendors, it is just confusing that a different rate is charged based on method used.

With Square my business transitioned!

Pros

Before square, I was clueless, Now with square, I am able to keep everything up to date!

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about square, I am glad I have it!

Wanna grow buisness, have Square point of sale

Pros

the feature I like the most is that I can use a mere cell phone to take orders while sitting in my pretty car. isn't it amazing!!

Cons

Well speaking honestly that there is nothing that needs to be improved except the font used in this software. it must be eye-appealing

Decent, But Has Gotten Overcomplicated

Overall, it’s reasonable. I don’t love the high fees taken out, but it’s a familiar set up that i’ve been using for awhile.

Pros

I like that Square has customizable features that allow you to add your own business branding.

Cons

I do not like that Square has really over complicated itself with so many things in one program, yet separate apps for everything virtually. It seems like things are constantly moving and it’s hard to keep up.

Easy to use built for small business

Pros

Square instant direct deposit to your bank comes in handy. Cash flow is important for a small business and waiting for the bank to clear the funds can be an issue, sometimes we need the cash immediately.

Cons

No complaints, I enjoy using Square and haven't had any issues with it.

Square gets the job done

My overall experience has been good. Square POS gets the job done. The user interfase could be more intuitive though, but in general it's ok.

Pros

I use square POS, but also as an online payment processor linked to Wix. We started using the simple and small POS at our organization, but then we upgraded to the one with the big screen and that was a big change. I particularly like about this one that the client is the one swiping the credit card and has privacy deciding on the tips. It allows to start and end the cash drawer, which helps to control the cash better. I also like that when there is no connection it goes to offline mode and one can still run transactions with it.

Cons

The part that I am unsatisfied with is that the integration with WIX does not capture names of events in the description of each transaction. Therefore it's tricky to categorize those transactions in the different income classes for our books. I have to do that by reconciling manually wix reports with square's.

Square POS offers new and flexible use

Overall, I would 100% recommend Square for new businesses. Start up costs can be next to nothing and it doesn’t require someone to install it. And NO CONTRACTS :) You can then add on their additional features which should be able to sustain your businesses growth for as long as you need it too. In terms of switching to square, make sure your existing equipment can be reused .

Pros

Square is offering a software that is versatile and also nearly free for a new business that doesn’t have money to spend on start up costs or an existing business that has been ripped off from an expensive POS company. You can literally just use your iPhone with a card swipe. Or for the brick and mortars use their new and sleek looking square register. In terms of interface, Squares basic dashboard is free to the public and can be set up as fast as signing up for a email account. You can learn it’s navigation in a matter of minutes and you are able to subscribe for the extras you need like loyalty, gift cards or marketing. Very simple, very user friendly, and the support is actually helpful.

Cons

Switching from a POS company that requires a lot of upfront infrastructure and training, I don’t have a lot of bad things to say about squares POS and software other than the existing equipment they told us we could use hasn’t necessarily been easy to re use. Also you are not able to get as granular in customizing some features as other softwares

Square POS app

This has been great with no problems! It allows me to bill anywhere and review my billing history. It gives me a breakdown of new clients and how many returning. One thing I would like to see change is the 1099 form. It only gives me one if I sell more than $20K in products a year. I would like to be less and more flexible for small business owners!

Pros

This is portable and accessible from anywhere. I also like that I can send invoices, schedule a time for it to send and set up reminders to the client!

Cons

On the initial setup, my profession was not setup up properly so I was not able to accept HSA or FSA credit cards. It was because there was no option for me as an alternative healthcare provider. Customer service helped me and my issue was fixed!!

Excellent POS Software

My overall experience with Square POS is amazing. I have recommended this app to so many people. I’ve known about this product since it’s beginning back when you could get a card reader for free on the mail. This app has always been a saving grace for me. Honestly I will never use any other POS.

Pros

This software is so EASY to use. Literally it’s a no brainer. I have used this app in conjunction with StylieOne which was an appointment scheduling app and it made collecting payments from my clients so simple. I love the sales and transaction reports that I have access to because it makes my life easier come tax time. Also this app sends you daily sales reports to your email. The equipment to use with the app is inexpensive.

Cons

There aren’t any cons to the service. Honestly it’s a great service all around. I can’t see how anyone would be disappointed.

Good Day, Bad Day

I’m a bit sad. For 6 years I have been using “Shopkeep” as my point of sale software provider. This is my cash register, and where I enter my inventory descriptions, quantities, prices, customer data and pretty much everything about my business. My sales histories, credit card transactions and, most importantly, 6 years of sales and customer info is stored on a distant Shopkeep cloud…. I think? Six...

Pros

It operates just like your mind works. It is so logical. It was so simple to upload my inventory and customer data.

Cons

No option for another color system. The white color sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, I would say they nailed it.

Love Love Square

Overall, I prefer square any day over stripe and PayPal payments.

Pros

Love live square. Love that it can be used for both in store and online payments. It sync with my quickbooks which saves me a whole lot of time. It gives detail daily reports which includes best seller of the day, number of sales, number of products sold and what type of product sold, taxes paid, types of payment the customers used, plus it syncs with my online store inventory. Square gives you all the detail info you never realized you need till you need it all in one place. So easy to use and tailored for retailers. Love the Apple Pay feature too.

Cons

My big con with square integration is it doesn’t sync well with bigcommerce. By that I mean, my online sales gets imported as a custom order so there is no itemized list of what the customers bought. Also with bigcommerce, there is no way for me to take Apple Pay or other digital wallet payments. Square does have digital wallet payment options with their square space shopping cart. Fingers crossed they will fix this custom import stuff soon.

Easiest and simplest way to start taking credit card payments for your office

Great. Simple and easy to use. People have said that their customer service is extremely hard to get hold of, but we have used it for 3 years and have had no reason to contact customer service.

Pros

Square POS was very easy to set up. The first card reader you receive (a simple plug in to an iPad or iPhone) was free. We created an account online, attached a bank account, and created a menu of items/services we provide. Then we simply chose photos for each service or product category so that it looks nicer in the app for our employees. The result was a very simple set up and a very clean looking...

Cons

Square does take 2.75% of your transaction each time. You can find cheaper alternatives, but not with the ease of set up and use that comes with Square. The bigger con about Square POS is that if you have take a payment over the phone and manually type in their credit card information instead of typing it, they charge extra at 3.5% of the transaction. Also, the first card reader they send you is a...

Great for anyone wanting to start a business.

It's hard for me to find anything wrong with Square. We have never really been tempted by the competition, and I doubt we will be anytime soon. Perhaps if you are running a store with more products or customers you may benefit from a different system, but I would suggest Square to anyone starting out. You can get set up today, and your customers already know how to use it.

Pros

I was working as a barista in a new coffee location in my local town. The owner of the shop was pretty new to the industry, and didn't have a lot of business experience. She needed a way to run cards, and she was looking at a few different solutions, but I mentioned Square, and she ran to CVS and bought one right away. She wasn't very tech savvy, so I volunteered to get it set up. It probably took...

Cons

Some of the reporting features can be confusing to read, and more than once have resulted in us blindly refunding customers. Sometimes the card readers gave us problems, but this was usually solved with a quick reset.

Own a business? You NEED this product!

If you're a business owner and you sell products or services, especially if you have multiple sites and/or have a mobile sales force, this product is a must. The access is easy, the interface is friendly, and the payment system is quick.

Pros

EASY to set up and use! In short time, we were able to set up our entire library online and make it simple to purchase and sell products. Once set up, everything is available to every member of team, so that one of our book sellers in California has access to the same products as a book seller in Michigan the moment the product is placed online. I also love that we can easily create multiple price...

Cons

Honestly, there is little to NOT like about this system. I've tried several others and since switching to Square 5 years ago, I've never looked back.

After research, seemed like best choice on a small nonprofit's limited budget.

Our previous credit card processor charged us PCI compliance fee but didn't help us with our compliance issues. They were happy to charge an additional price. PCI noncompliance fee for more than a year. Switching our four physical locations and website to Square resolved those issues and saved those fees. Square Retail would no doubt help us more with inventory management, but we can't afford the extra monthly cost for the multiple locations. Software Advice and other review sites were very helpful in sorting through the hundreds of options and convincing our board that we could afford to make the switch to Square to help staff reduce time spent to manage both sales and inventory.

Pros

Fairly intuitive and forgiving (can back out of most screens if not sure where to find function you're looking for). Sales and national park visitor center staff really like the system, and have had little difficulty learning it. We have it set up with wi-fi on AT&T U-Verse and satellite internet and on a Verizon wireless-enabled iPad. Offline mode has worked during power interruptions and automatically...

Cons

Would be extremely helpful to have searchable, downloadable start-up and user guides instead of having to cut and paste from web pages, which doesn't work well. We had to make a lot of phone calls to tech support during initial set-up, particularly for uploading inventory, because we couldn't find instructions online. Very time-consuming and tricky to upload inventory spreadsheet files that include...

Square delivers plenty of features at low cost

Pros

I have run a brick-and-mortar for more than 19 years, and got rid of my traditional merchant account about 5 years ago when fees became outrageous and unstable, and I also needed a mobile payment system as my bank did not offer one. I did some research and settled on Square. The product is intuitive and easy to navigate, and the cost for processing credit cards is reasonable at 2.75% for swiped and...

Cons

I have found very little to dislike. I have seen comments online about deposits being held, a lack of ability to communicate easily with Square (initially, they had no phone customer service, but I always got very quick response from their techs via Twitter in the early days), and difficulty in raising deposit limits. I run two small businesses using Square, and for one of them had to ask for a large increase in daily deposits as my business grew. This was handled easily via email communications and took only a few days.

Not perfect, but a big improvement!

Pros

Sales staff really like it compared to cash register and credit card terminal (or old-fashioned knuckle-buster imprinter for our remote locations). Predictable fees, which have been lower than for our previous traditional credit card processors, especially for in-person purchases and for American Express. No monthly fees or PCI compliance issues. Square Community is a helpful resource. Dashboard with a variety of reports works pretty well, and it's handy to be able to generate sales reports or search for individual transactions quickly.

Cons

Lack of good integration with Magento Community web software (only bottom line charge comes through). No ability to easily transfer inventory from one location to another. Problem with cash total on drawer report not matching sales report. Usually cash drawer is correct, which means sales are not recorded properly. This problem has existed since at least August 2016, while their engineers work on it....

Square Point of Sale for Gift Card Sales

Over all, having the ability to sell E-gift cards from my existing website without a monthly fee was a huge game changer for my salon company! We went from selling $200-$300 per year in online gift card sales to well over $2000 the first holiday season my company offered E-gift cards. I believe the increase was due to the great look of the gift card choices, the Square name that everyone knows and how easily I could added the service to my company website.

Pros

I love how easy and fast it was to set up and link into my website. Square gave me the exact dimensions my photo(s) needed to be for the custom branded E-cards for the Square point of sale. In addition, my main reason for choosing Square Point of Sale for my online gift card sales was that there is no monthly fee to offer the E-cards, my company only pay for processing sales.

Cons

Square Point of Sale continues to improve the software for the E- gift cards, however I wish the system would notify me, the owner, when a customer has purchased a gift card. Customers would bring in their digital gift cards for services and since Square Point of Sale did not integrated into our booking software & our company did not realize the card had been purchased staff would have to search to find the purchased card. I wish the gift card sales and the reporting of the gift card sales was more streamlined.

Bad service good product

I love it for everything, even non business activity when my mom is trying to send money for my kids sports. I just manually enter her card, transfer to my account and go get their sports stuff but it really helps the business alot. I think the actual cash register conputers are nice as well as the headphone jack swipe style. Uniquely created for all. The business is growing with all the offered payment options

Pros

I love how easy it is to use. Very easy to put products into the pos. And I love being able to get the square reader when opening an account. Being able to enter cards manually is great too! Invoicing is easy for others to able to pay online. Its a very well rounded system.

Cons

Even though I like the security features square uses, they are also the downfall. Sometimes they put holds on your account when there isnt any suspicious activity and then you have to call and verify and make a big run around mess to finally get your money. It's a pain with customer service but the security is nice so I don't mind too much. Could make that a little easier to deal with though

Great as a user and business owner

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an easy to use and up to date transaction platform.

Pros

My first experience with Square Point of Sale was a couple years back as a Receptionist in a Fitness Facility. On a daily basis, we used Square Point of Sale whether it was to buy merchandise, memberships, snacks or sign up for special workshops. What I particularly loved most about Square Point of Sale was its easiness to use and software platform. We could receive payments from the company cellphone,...

Cons

Square Point of Sale is excellent for receiving payments and I don't have any negative experience with the platform. The only thing I wish would be that the analytics and reports that I receive for all payments and invoices would be easier to read. I have a bit of trouble understanding them. Other than that, overall great platform.