Caspio Reviews

Caspio

Build online database applications without coding.

4.69/5 (70 reviews)

Pros
  • Overall Caspio is a great platform hands down. They offer a great service and is highly customizable and recommended for larger companies with a big budget.James F.Read the full review
  • The overall Support structure is also excellent in that the transition from online help to opening a job ticket, and then on to an individual caspio expert is seamless and easy to use.William W.Read the full review
  • I am amazed how technicians including [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] are able to resolve every little glitch which I encounter. I am very appreciative of their service, professionalism, and friendship.Joseph H.Read the full review
Cons
  • The No Code Needed is very misleading. Most workflows and apps I have built or needed required some functionality that had to be "custom coded" with javascript.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • Some of the definitions for associations between fields (e.g., cascading listbox...) can at first leave a new user uncertain about how the form or data-page will function.Gordon S.Read the full review
  • We operate tour business offering custom built tours. We looked at many packages but they restricted us in managing and delivering the style and customer service levels we are known for.Col B.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Pamela Couvignou

Caspio levels the playing field for all and opens opportunities!

Reviewed 2017-01-13

I am not a programmer but am constantly coming up with business-solution ideas that require programming. Before discovering Caspio, I had to consider investing tens-of-thousands of dollars in programmers, only to end up with a compromised product that I could not make a small adjustment to without going through the programmers again. Additionally, I was under the contracted programmer's long timelines, and a compromised vision. As an entrepreneur, you want to control the speed at which your product is developed. With my basic understanding of relational databases, I was able to easily navigate through Capsio and to develop a robust functioning app. When you add to that Capsio's stellar customer support and development help, my app was better than I envisioned. Capsio has opened opportunities for new business ideas for someone like me who never imagined they would be building apps!

Karen Weisbrodt

Caspio is a robust, affordable option for organizations without in-house IT!

Reviewed 2020-05-15

A software developer for over 20 years, I help small to medium-sized organizations, mostly nonprofits, find affordable software that supports their business processes. I found Caspio when I was searching the marketplace for a low-code platform that could be used to build a type of software that does not exist in the marketplace and it allowed an organization to build their dream application in a matter of months....custom software at an off-the-shelf price! I have been impressed with all the options available as well as the excellent online documentation and customer service of the Caspio support team.

Pros
I think Caspio is incredibly easy to learn and use and it allows non-technical professionals to quickly establish a data-centric web-based application without needing to know Python, Java, or another programming language. I have been a software developer for 20 years, so for me the tool takes even less time -- and functions like triggered notifications and tasks allow me to add "behind-the-scenes magic" so one process can trigger dependent processes in a seamless way. I also love the support team's helpful and responsive attitude.

Cons
Truly my only complaint is not a bad thing, just a choice -- I wish I did not have to wrap all the Caspio code in separate HTML, mostly b/c I do not think it is as easy to teach to non-technical people. Most of the organizations I work with need help getting everything set up and launched but then can largely be trained to maintain and extend their Caspio app...and while HTML and CSS are not complicated, they are not as predictably explainable as the tables and datapage interfaces.

Craig Ray

Great potential, but stay away if you're not an enterprise client

Reviewed 2018-07-09

Pros
- Basic database builder tools have more built-in options than similar software, so it's easier and faster to build more complex setups - If you don't know code, the interface and logic is very close to MS Excel, so the learning curve isn't too bad - Easy to embed and publish applications - Has an unlimited app user model (though not administrators), which is superior to other database app builders that limit user capabilities and charge based on users. This is ideal for customer-facing applications where users need to be able to more advanced functions outside of simply viewing. - Offer a free plan that is fairly well featured, though would only be useful for internal or personal apps

Cons
- Pricing structure is highly frustrating for a small business user or team. Basic paid plans have no access to APIs, Zapier, or automation/importing, which is high for the base plan compared to similar apps. To get those features, the next level jumps over 4x higher. - "Datapages" allotted for each plan (which is the foundation of the app) are misleading since similar competitors use an allowed number of "apps". Some basic applications in Caspio need 10-20 data pages, but the basic plan only allows 5. Ultimately a large amount of time was spent figuring out how to cut out pages and combine features, killing user experience. - Had a bad experience with customer support (sales) when I accidentally deleted an entire table. Was informed that as a basic/free trial user they would have to charge me to get the table back, even though it existed. And days saved was only a few, so had to quickly decide. They were not sympathetic to my plight even as I was in the evaluation stage. - If you're a major enterprise with a large budget and some programmers, Caspio may be an ideal solution. If you're a small business, be very careful when evaluating and I'd recommend looking elsewhere. The subscription models and definitions are confusing and you may find yourself with an app built during the free trial and realizing you can't possibly afford to launch it.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Quinn Steffen

Grows with you

Reviewed 2020-05-12

I would say that one of the best things about working with Caspio is the drag and drop builder as well as their support staff.

Pros
Our company was looking for software that would enable us to launch clean, professional looking website features quickly. Caspio offers a fairly simple used interface that allow rapid development of new ideas and their features are well rounded. They have some of the best support staff around.

Cons
Some of the features we need are only offered on costly plans.

Elena Mason

So Impressed

Reviewed 2020-01-06

oh the customer service both on chat, email, and phone, is a cut above the rest. I don't know how Caspio manages to always be there for me... so impressive. Way better than the big guys.

Pros
This cloud based Database management solution is really helpful for non-coders like me. So many features that really made my consulting business excel in the competitive industry like mine.

Cons
There should be a multiple check box feature, where the choices can be pulled from other fields. Also, the rules for conditions are very limited. For example, if you want to disable other check boxes when one check box is selected - you will never be able to do another conditional rule for that check box that you have said should be disabled. I mean, there should be an ability to apply multiple conditional rules on a field.

Mark McConway

Caspio - Partners for The Long Term

Reviewed 2020-05-21

I've now been using Caspio for over 12years and have to say that, as a company, they've matured over that time. Customer support is definitely above average.

Pros
Speed of project development from idea to deployment is, for me, the number one attraction as a Caspio developer. You can try things out for real very quickly and ask clients for their thoughts/opinions as you go along. Caspio's low-code platform makes it possible for someone to provide robust, mission critical data-driven systems without having a background in coding.

Cons
I have very few issues with using Caspio and any that I have are either minor - or get resolved quickly.

Trenton Fox

Customized Data Reports

Reviewed 2020-05-26

We were able to work with the project management team to build a productivity, waste, and uptime reporting tool that streamlined our process and cut many labor hours out of each week.

Pros
The software is web based, so you can reach it anywhere.

Cons
If internet is down, the software is not usable.

Nepal Patel

Digital Transformation out of the box!

Reviewed 2020-05-15

It's great. We manage millions of records and have started to revert from an in-house data warehouse to Caspio as it provides no code administration, and a secure layer a data protection we don't have to strategize around.

Pros
Drag and Drop table relations gives you deep data mining capabilities, and the datapage wizard allows easier setup of a search interface but allows complex customization in later stages. #1 win for us is the secure surrounding caspio offers our data.

Cons
limited ability to build on an iPad. That would be very useful for on the go adjustments and configurations.

William Winkel

caspio has an excellent Support Team

Reviewed 2020-05-11

Pros
I cannot say more about the caspio team that provides online help 24/7. They are very professional, competent, and are not afraid to engage in resolving the problem at hand. The overall Support structure is also excellent in that the transition from online help to opening a job ticket, and then on to an individual caspio expert is seamless and easy to use.

Cons
This is not a "con" per se. The caspio software has a lot of functionality. As expected, it takes a little time to understand how the platform functions. The Support staff makes the learning process very easy.

Pusit Ketmayoon

Excellent features, Superb support

Reviewed 2019-12-16

For more than three years with Caspio we don't have a major complaint in any area. I would give six stars for the support. Often we need urgent support while we are working from different time zones, there is always someone (real human not a bot) standby to answer our urgent questions. Regarding features, Caspio always keeps us exciting with their regular updates and new out-of-the-box features.

Pros
Features: Caspio has almost everything we require to complete business solution applications. Pricing Model: Clear and competitive pricing model. There are even more plans released lately. Support: Superb! Always someone's there, in the online support section. All tickets are handled in a short time. Respect user privacy, asking for permission before the support gets in the sensitive area with the "User Login Support".

Cons
Options for style and GUI. They are too plain (even they look professional) and simple, not bad but not so fancy. This is the comment from users. However, it's customizable but required extra work.

Oliver Norman

More than meets the eye

Reviewed 2020-05-25

Caspio has more than made our flagship application possible for us without having a team of programmers. It has widely extended the possibilities of the application and helped inspire features and the overall scope of what our application is and can become. After years of working with Caspio, I have learned to use the platform to much of its potential, and yet I still haven't found the limits to what it can do. The platform specialists are very skilled, and with expert sessions available, you can accomplish things on Caspio way beyond what it appears to offer. It is, indeed, much more than meets the eye.

Pros
While Caspio is a low code platform enabling fast development of very high quality apps, it does not stop there. What has been important to me, is that the platform is virtually unlimited in potential. The versatility and quality of this platform makes it the perfect choice even for high complexity applications.

Cons
Simple apps may be developed very swiftly, while maintaining high levels of security and quality. More complex apps require more capacity and in depth development. While this is a low code platform, it does not prevent the use of code, and with it, the possibilities seem limitless. And it still has all the benefits of not having to code from scratch, ease of use, high security, etc.

Joseph Healy

A Canadian pleasure to receive Caspio's help, service, security & support

Reviewed 2020-01-07

My overall experience with Caspio has been absolutely wonderful and extremely favourable, and I would never consider leaving Caspio except that if the cost of maintaining my table was too costly for me. I am very, very proud of how Caspio has been able to tailor my table needs to the precise and exact style of what I want, and what I want my clients to learn from exploring the table. My table is modern, accurate, colourful, precise and as I have said I am very proud of it. I am also very conformable about the high level of security which Caspio Bridge provides for my table. Security of my table is very important to me. Thank you.

Pros
First, I am extremely pleased with the affordable cost of Caspio Bridge provided to me by Caspio which allows me to continue my historical research and record my work on a table which is open to all of Canada as well as the whole world. I am a senior citizen with a limited income so the cost is very important to me. Secondly, I sincerely appreciate the dependability of Caspio Bridge because my table has never failed my thousands of clients. Since I first started with Caspio many years ago, my table has never failed. Thirdly, I value the dependability of Caspio Bridge support including the expertise of [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who have the ability, knowledge and skills to improve the performance of my table. I am amazed how technicians including [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] are able to resolve every little glitch which I encounter. I am very appreciative of their service, professionalism, and friendship.

Cons
I can only think of one issue, and that is the complexity of the 'styles'. This is one area that I always need help with as the learning curve about 'styles' is too steep for me. In the case orf 'styles' I always ask for and receive help from Caspio, and I thank you.

Dominique Conterno

Living in the low-code age

Reviewed 2019-11-29

There is no doubt that Caspio allows you to create robust cloud applications very fast. As we have now entered the age of low-code and that the opportunity to have SaaS systems, that used to be reserved to large enterprise and government bodies, is now reachable to man small to medium size enterprises. In this respect, Caspio has played out an important and critical role by offering a reasonably priced and powerful platform to them.

Pros
Caspio is a very flexible tool for creating and maintaining SaaS systems for your company or for your customers. You need a basic understanding of relational database and how to work with them. Once you are there then, maybe after a few hours, you are ready to go. Everything else when it comes to creating queries and views, unless you want to create something unusual, is straight forward. Designing datapages is also quite easy and only requires a minimum of learning time. Publishing the datapages on your website is also excellent as Caspio offers different options for achieving it, depending on what web publishing tool you are using.

Cons
As we are doing solution prototypes using MS Access, we tend to upload the application database into Caspio to speed up the process when implementing a solution. The drawback with this method is that although we can upload tables and data, we cannot upload views. This is mostly due to the fact that Caspio does not handle views in the same way as MS Access, in fact not allowing a few functionalities such as calculated fields. Caspio, over the last few years, has come up with means of addressing this shortcoming by adding extra functionalities in database management.

Gordon Schaeffer

Extremely Useful Resource

Reviewed 2019-11-13

We use Caspio to help distribute data, to inform stakeholders, to allow users to narrow results and answer their questions, and to hopefully allow for a stronger understanding of what we do (our business plan) and how we do that (our business model). Ultimately, as a public research university's academic program, we need to provide transparency and accountability.

Pros
Ease of use, ability to develop skills within and while using the software. Online tutorials (including YouTube videos/projects) are very helpful.

Richard Dickinson

Caspio - The Best Database Platform On the Market

Reviewed 2020-05-13

Thanks to Caspio, our project developed into Security Patrol Track Inc., a first class Security Guard Management system for the use by security company managers to track and document the activities of their security officers. Although I had 35 years of financial experience in the security industry, when we first began our project, I had no experience with database systems whatsoever. I tried several platforms but couldn't even understand the terminology and never was able to actually create even one table. I then found Caspio and within an hour, was able to build a table, a submission form to enter records into the table and a report to pull the records out. It is truly a "No Code" platform! Our original app has now grown to 250 datapages and we have over 18,000 users.

Pros
It is truly a "No Code" platform! Our application, however, would never have been so successful (due to my lack of knowledge) without the support of the Caspio Customer Service and Professional Development staffs. They are all truly invested in the success of their customers.

Cons
Although it may seem to be sort of a contrived response, I really cannot think of a criticism of the Caspio system. The typical criticism of a technology company would be their inadequate customer service. However, as discussed above, their support personnel are almost always available, always knowledge and will always go out of their way to find a solution.

Anonymous

Definitely not "no-code", but still low-code and very powerful

Reviewed 2019-10-31

I felt very empowered with Caspio, but kept running into walls. I don't know Javascript or HTML so anything code-related that wasn't laid out exactly within a tutorial was frustrating to tackle. I also struggled to build out a front-end that looked good and tied to the datapages I was building, and the templates Caspio provided me still required that I knew web development to get running, and I did not know how to customize them. I did appreciate that pages could be easily embedded within Wordpress or other website builders. If I knew how to code, I would definitely use Caspio though. It gets thing up and running sooo fast. Using as a base for the backend is a great idea as it is 100% customizable. In that case I would totally recommend.

Pros
It is 100% customizable, and there are tutorials for just about everything. The community forums are also active, with Caspio support actively participating. Professional Services seemed very capable and able to do just about anything for you if you needed it.

Cons
For just about everything I wanted to do there was some need for a "custom" solution, and I was heavily dependent on my account manager who was always ready to refer me to Professional Services for even simple integrations.

Response from Caspio

Thank you for the valuable feedback. While many complex applications can be fully developed using Caspio's point-and-click and drag-and-drop tools, the ability to extend the platform via industry standard languages such as JavaScript, HTML, CSS and SQL opens up additional capabilities to innovate and build something truly unique. Thank you again for your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it on to our team internally.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Tzofit Goldfarb

Amazing Service from Caspio!

Reviewed 2019-11-20

We have made so much internal data available to our employees that they can search on their own to get the answers they need. The best part is not having to rely on our IT department to implement these projects. From start to finish, our department can do it on our own and customize it the way we want. We are about to launch an internal Records Management System -- if we would have bought something out of the box and used IT to implement, it would have cost us in the six figures. With the help of Czar Zurich Placente, we have been able to build this system in a few months with ease. Czar has been so unbelievably responsive and professional throughout the entire process. His knowledge of every aspect of Caspio has been amazing. I absolutely love working with him and already thinking about other ways we can use Caspio to leverage our other internal projects -- with Czar's help!

Pros
I love Caspio because it is so easy to use. We have several databases running off of Caspio, and I could not have done it without Caspio.

Cons
Nothing! Sometimes there are some features that require custom coding, so that can become frustrating, but for a minimal price, you can get help with Expert Hours.

Anonymous

Definitely not NO CODE, add-ons kill value, good for basic apps.

Reviewed 2018-07-13

Quick "basic" web app and form creation.

Pros
Tough review because I like Caspio. And the support is generally pretty good. Basic apps and workflows are pretty easy and intuitive.

Cons
The No Code Needed is very misleading. Most workflows and apps I have built or needed required some functionality that had to be "custom coded" with javascript. There was no out of the box option for some database/app functions I thought would be standard. If you look at the support forums there are a lot of people stuck needing special code written to make it do what they need: https://forums.caspio.com/forum/49-caspio-javascript-solutions/ And calls into tech support often ended with "you will have to have some custom code written to accomplish that" for a fee. If you are a Javascript guru, you will be much better off. But the friendly pictures on their website of small business owners touting no code I'm not sure is a reality for most. If you are going to use it I would recommend the pro level because the costs add up after you use 5 data pages. Other seemingly basic options also come at a cost. To be able to select previously uploaded files in a report to download them was an additional feature. I think its more for businesses with some tech staff that needs out of the box apps built but then they can code to tweak. Average Joe, not so much.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Eric Timm

Great tool to create online applications

Reviewed 2020-05-27

We collect data for benchmarking, and have built a data collection website for our customers. Over time, we have created new products using Caspio. One of the main benefits is that a small, 2-person team can create and implement business applications that have a high degree of functionality.

Pros
We have created several applications for our customers using Caspio, including our internal process management system. We have staff in several remote offices and need to have a shared management system with workflow capabilities. One of the main benefits of Caspio is that we can do the development work in house, saving us money while allowing us to quickly add new functionality.

Cons
As with any software program, the trick is figuring out how to do what you want despite the application's weaknesses. We have found Caspio to be highly featured, but also highly customizable. The user community is great at helping provide input to extend the application functionality, so any issues can be overcome.

Theodore Borley

Caspio for Logistics

Reviewed 2020-05-16

I have found that the team at Caspio and the application builder itself are rock solid. Extremely reliable, willing to help with the very small issues that have come up. I could not ask to work with a better organization.

Pros
It is so quick and easy to build data entry forms, surveys and reporting. Many of the applications I use take less than an hour to build from completion of planning to putting in use by our team at the warehouse.

Cons
There are little things that you need some programming help with, like column justification in reports or adding colors, but they are minor and the support is out there to help the "non-programmer" get the job done.

Jennifer Victor-Larsen

Incredible value - We came to try it out, and now it's been 6 years

Reviewed 2020-05-14

We thought we would build a proof-of-concept on Caspio but ended up building a platform that has served us (and thousands of nonprofits through us) for 6 years. I could not recommend more highly for start ups, nonprofits and others starting on a shoestring and that want to prove a concept before spending big development dollars.

Pros
We created a nonprofit that connects people with donations to organizations that need them. For that, we needed a database. With no budget, we were able to launch. With no IT background, I was able to get started from the tutorials and with helpful staff, have updated and upgraded over the years.

Cons
Starting out without technical experience, it did take some time to learn, but we started with the free plan and it was an incredible value - worth the time investment to learn. There with challenges that the architecture we built as we wanted to grow and change. The Caspio support team has helped us solve many of those with creative workarounds.

Anthony Martina

Great product, expensive for what you can do.

Reviewed 2017-06-11

Great database, you can make almost anything you want.

Pros
-It works great -Easy to learn, takes maybe 2 weeks to learn, it's not as easy as using email but you can build very great stuff with it. -You can almost do whatever you can think of.

Cons
With basic version, which you can do almost nothing with, 5 data pages not much, you can maybe build one useful thing or two. -ONLY 500 MB, used it in first week trying to learn how to work with all the 5 datapages. -Went over with 250 MB charged another amount. Really expensive. -If you have a small company I would NOT recommend caspio, if you have a bigger company and can pay for monthly that would be great, maybe then you can outsource to a company in India also -Basic NO unlimited support, 5 cases (which would be oke if you got more datapages and MB). -Support is difficult because you have to explain with chatting what the problem is, try that with a database, it's just really difficult, yes you can give them permission to access your database and help you out but they don't really do it. Yes, they have a free option for 3 datapages and 250 mb which you really can't do much, in 3 days just by logging in you would have used it up). I think caspio is great but the pricing hinders them from becoming the most used online database. I do hope they lower the price in the future or just fix their pricing structure each time we have to pay it just sucks the joy out of the database. We don't mind paying but the value and the price are not in sync. I did not find a better option yet for databases, but will probably be designing our own.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Jackson Yu

Caspio: A Superb Database Solution

Reviewed 2019-11-13

A recent update (v19) impacted all the database applications created in Caspio. However, after using the ticketing system (1st in 2 years of licensing), they responded with fixes immediately within 1 business day. Impressive customer service on that front but not so much with testing of updates/patches.

Pros
Caspio is very flexible allowing users to easily create many types of databases (submission forms, search engines, web pages, CRMs, Analytics etc).

Cons
There is no easy backup solution. Caspio allows for 1 complimentary restore but will charge for additional. If they allowed the user to self backup and restore, this would be a bonus.

Scott McDonald

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is a genius!

Reviewed 2019-12-16

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing to work with. She took our ideas and built databases to meet our need in only minutes. Her knowledge of the product is off the charts. Every suggestion we threw at her, she was able to make happen for us. I can't recommend her enough. She is a huge asset to the Caspio team.

Pros
Once established the program is very easy to use. The major advantage for us over our old Access database is you can log in from anywhere. Also, Access slowed down as it accumulated data, but Caspio has kept the same processing and retrieval speed. Finally, it looks much better and is easier to navigate.

Cons
It can be hard to learn how to create the tables and datapages, but they do offer training to teach you how.

Ron Brumbarger

Caspio used to in a cold case homicide to organize massive unstructured data

Reviewed 2019-10-30

Given the power of the Caspio platform and my experience with the product, within 6 hours, I had a functioning portal that enabled us to manage a large amount of unstructured data fully deployed.

Pros
Caspio was the perfect platform by which to organize a massive amount of unstructured data while Apprentice University helped the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department attempt to solve a 14-year old cold case homicide.

Cons
I've been using Caspio for approximately 10 years... I know the platform *really* well and, as such, I know where to push the product and where its limitations are. I did have to find an alternative solution to create an X-Y scatter plot as the Caspio tools fell short of my needs in this case, but otherwise, there was nothing I disliked about the platform for this application.