Planning Center Logo

Planning Center

Church management software with Mailchimp integration

Planning Center Reviews

User ratings

4.7

1K
  • Likelihood to recommend9.02/10

See full reviews by rating

We love and enjoy nearly all of the products from them. They are so great to work with and they are always open for feedback and much of the growth and change has come from using its users opinions.
The People Module is the best. I love the ability to update the people/family information on the fly is great.
This is a great tool of scheduling volunteers and laying our the plan details. This is super helpful if we have a wide variety of things going on and its easy to list them all out here.
Additionally, the inability to get support personnel on the phone is a pain at times. Having to run support strictly through email can be a huge barrier and waste of time.
The user experience isn't conducive to those who have no tech experience and can be very confusing.
The one negative I have run into is it is not as customizable as other software I have used.

1,064 reviews

Eric M.

Pastor

Flexibility and Accessibility makes Planning Center my choice

Transcript

Eric M.: My name is Eric and I am a pastor in the nonprofit industry. I give Planning Center a four out...

AJ

Adam J.

Campus Support Team Director

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

It's the standard for church software for a reason

Transcript

Adam J.: Hi, my name is Adam and I work as a multi-site church director. And I give Planning Center a...

Tyler H.

So. Much. Better.

I was the XP at a church that used Planning Center. I went to another church that used one of their main competitors. After 18 months, we are on Planning Center. I'm much happier and the rest of the staff is much happier. I think that pretty well sums it up.

Pros

When we switched from our previous software to Planning Center, I worked with our staff to see how it was going. The responses I got were always akin to "well, it is frustrating learning a new system...but this is better than what we were on." Basically, in one or two days our staff was less frustrated with Planning Center than they were continually with a system we had been on for three years. As...

Cons

To my understanding, Planning Center set out to make a great stand alone tool for Check Ins, a great tool for Registrations, a great tool for Giving, etc...to do this, they set up separate development teams for each module. I understand this, having worked with some tools that started as a great online director or great giving tool or great event tool and tried to expand to do much more. The result...

JA

Jonathan A.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

The best option for church database management

Since we switched to entirely managing our church database through Planning Center, we have much better buy in for online sign ups and registrations and all our data is linked and much more accurate and up to date. Young and old learn how to use it quickly.

Pros

Professionally developed platform with advanced features that are also well thought out and user friendly for both back end and front end users. They are regularly adding features and developing their host of apps.

Cons

Some of their products are more basic, but they focus on where it counts.

KN

Karen N.

Part of it Works for Us

At this point, it is used in a minimal way, to lay out our order of service and schedule 2 ministry teams out of the 10+ teams that serve at each of our services.

Pros

Makes scheduling and organizing our order of service very simple for the administration team. When an item such as teaching changes from 30 minutes to 40 minutes, the modifications are easy to implement without having to recalculate the time of day from one item to the next. When that same item is moved someplace else in the order of service it's a simple drag and drop and all times for the service are automaticallly adjusted.

Cons

Not a great tool for our volunteers. The scheduling module is a little difficult to train volunteers to use. They all give it a shot but most revert to using excel spreadsheets. Report templates, unless you are an html programmer, aren't flexible enough to give me the layout I am looking for. We tried to use it to check in our children but the unreliability of connecting and printing name tags caused huge delays, aggravated our parents and frustrated the volunteers. I am advised they have resolved that problem, however, due to their prior experience our children's church isn't willing to give it another chance.

Hi Karen, Thanks for the review! Our support team is able to help you with some parts of coding those reports if you'd like to reach out to them for help, and give them an example of how you would like your report to look. They would also be able to give you some tips for making scheduling volunteers easier in Services. Sorry to hear that hardware issues were keeping your Children's Ministry from using Check-Ins efficiently. If they're willing to give it a second chance in the future, we'll be glad to help troubleshoot those problems up front.

Internet, 1-10 employees

Planning center best tool for managing charismatic groups and churches

Planning center allowed me to better know all the members of the organization to which I belong and to know how to enlist them in the work for a common good.

Pros

What I liked most about this software is its ability to manage religious groups.

Cons

What I liked least is that it is not easily usable by new religious organizations.

Hi there! Thank you for your review. You mentioned having a bit of trouble getting started as a new org. Our Support Team is a great resource for help in tis area. Hit the '?' icon in the upper-right of the screen when you are looking at your page. Send us a message and our team will jump in to help. Thank you!

ML

Mike L.

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

Worship Planning All In One Location

Pros

This program is essential for our worship planning team. Everything we need each week all in one location.

Cons

Limitation of space and number of users without an upgrade in price

Hey, Mike! Thank you so much for taking the time to review Planning Center. We've tried to make Planning Center an effective tool churches can use for doing ministry each week. We're delighted to hear that Services has been a tool you've benefited from. We wish you the best as you continue Kingdom work.

MD

Melissa D.

Planning Center: Learning Curve

Pros

I like being able to utilize the features of Planning for promoting events, managing volunteers, and creating service plans.

Cons

Planning Center is a major learning curve and takes a lot time to understand in order to fully use it to its full potential.

GB

Gregg B.

Amazing Worship Planning Software

Overall, PCO is an incredible product that any worship team should use to take their planning to the next level. It’s a critical component to making our worship and production team run and be on the same page!

Pros

This tool is vital to the worship planning and helping everyone be on the same page. We use almost all of the worship features and love them!

Cons

I haven’t run into issues on planning center. I always laugh though, when we transpose a song using the feature and the vocals sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks. The rest of the band and music sounds on point and helps our band be prepared.

Lyndale H.

Best Church Management for People

Pros

This program is great for people management and connection. Makes tracking people easy. Volunteer management is incredible.

Cons

Really no complaints. Reporting features take a bit to learn but still good.

LS

Lisa S.

Must Have for Worship Leaders

I think this is such an amazing product! It makes my job 10x easier!

Pros

I love that my music is stored here for future use. I love the ease of connecting with my worship team. They can see/hear the music that is chosen! It is perfect for us!

Cons

Sometimes I struggle with different features. There are a few things that aren’t intuitive. Fortunately, the help department has great articles to help!

José F.

Oil & Energy, 1,001-5,000 employees

The best platform collaboration for worship

In general, it is a good platform that provides availability, coordination, and planning of all the songs to be presented in the services.

Pros

The speed and coordination in which the praise group and direction of TV, events, or services can share lyrics, and notes of the songs.

Cons

It does not have a trial version, it only has member management available for free, it would be nice to have more modules available in order to have the possibility of testing.

JV

Jennifer V.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Planning Center is an all in one software that makes management easier.

Planning Center is easy to learn and manage. It has helped our church navigate managing over 200 members. This includes using online giving, member database, scheduling, music, emailing members, managing attendance to events and conducting background checks. Planning Center certainly has made our life easier in the office!

Pros

I like how it is versatile and allows us to plug in other services that help us navigate our business efficiently.

Cons

I wish we could have access to a live person quickly if assistance with the program is needed.

Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your kind words! You mentioned wishing you could have access to a live person. We are here in the wings ready to support you. You may be surprised how quickly we respond! Our Support Team is a great resource for help in that area. Hit the '?' icon in the upper-right of the screen when you are looking at your List. Send us a message and our team will jump in to help! Thanks!

JS

John S.

Great church management software

Pros

We've been using Planning Center for years now, and have steadily been adding additional features. One of the best parts is how everything is fully integrated: all of the names from PC People transfer to PC Services and PC Check-in. It makes the use of new services seamless and easy. It's super helpful to have different levels of access, especially in PC Giving. I can get a snap shot of all the financial information for our church without having access to specific donor information, which provides helpful boundaries and financial accountability.

Cons

We recently started using ProPresenter for our Sunday gathering visuals as well as our live stream. PC Services does integrate with ProPresenter, but our Director of Gathered Worship said he doesn't use it because it seems somewhat finicky. We may just need to do some more research into how to best use the products together :)

Hi John, Thanks for your kind words! You mentioned having some trouble with the ProPresenter integration. Our Support Team is a great resource for help in that area. Hit the '?' icon in the upper-right of the screen when you are looking at your List. Send us a message and our team will jump in to help! Thanks!

CP

Ceci P.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Necessary for worship/service planning, other features could integrate better

We actually like Planning Center a lot. It has its issues, but overall it's nice to be able to integrate every area of our church in one database. I do like that it's a sliding pricing structure and you can choose what you need and what you don't. I wish it were cheaper, but I get it.

Pros

The worship planning software (Services) is unmatched as far as I can tell. It pretty much contains everything we would want in a database solution, the Giving portion is fairly easy to use, Groups and Registrations both work pretty well and our congregation doesn't seem to have a lot of trouble with signups through those. Scheduling volunteers is very simple through Services. Their customer support seems to be pretty consistent and helpful.

Cons

2 things: 1. The individual modules for Planning Center, though I like that you can select which ones you need and don't need, don't seem to integrate super well with each other. The fact that you need to re-import people from the database portion into the other modules can be annoying, and the navigation among them as a whole doesn't seem to be totally cohesive. 2. (My biggest pet peeve) It is ENTIRELY too easy for people to add themselves as a duplicate. We've had 5-6 profiles with the exact same email and name, and people can just create a new profile over and over again. If this could be solved, I would honestly be a lot happier with Planning Center.

DA

Dave A.

PCO as full ChMS

We have been very pleased with a fully-integrated solution that is continually improving with a great support team at a price that saves us money!

Pros

When making the switch to PCO as our full ChMS I was concerned at first because there is no dedicated implementation process. However, I was amazed by how smoothly the implementation went. It is extremely intuitive and the support team is amazing. The online help is very useful, the support team responds quickly (I think their target is within 2 hours), and the Slack channel helps glean ideas from other users. We saved about $3,000 per year compared to our previous solution and have a better product.

Cons

PCO is not perfect. There is not a perfect solution. I don't think we've found any issues that we can't work around so far and I've really been impressed by the development team and the rolling out of improved features.

Cameron M.

Great Church Management System for Small - Medium Sized Churchs

My title says that it is a great ChMS for a small - medium sized church, that is just because that is the size of the church that volunteer. Planning Center also has the potential to be great for a large church as well. So far we have been very happy with the transition to planning center, my next project is going to be integrating our website with their API so that we can sync the events and other features of Planning Center.

Pros

I like that Planning Center has all of the features that we need integrated into a single suite. Previously, we had 2-3 tools for membership management, communication, and online giving. We have been able to consolidate that down to a single system and saved money.

Cons

The member directory in the mobile app can be a little confusing for some of our members that are not tech-savvy. To overcome this, our technology team has been promoting our digital outreach and making ourselves available to the congregation to assist with getting them setup in the directory and using the mobile app.

Hi, Cameron! Thank you so much for your kind review. We're delighted to hear that you've had a successful switch and that you're able to use Planning Center as a unified system. Should you soon venture into using our API and have questions navigating through that process, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team for help. All the best!

RD

Rick D.

Planning Center Makes Scheduling Easy and Transparent

Planning Center is a great piece of software, with a lot of very powerful features for a church. It has made planning so much easier as a facility manager of my church. Also, being able to access the member's information is vital, and so much easier. As a congregation member who volunteers as a reader, usher, and worship assistant, being able to see my worship schedule and all the information I need is a great plus. I am very satisfied with Planning Center

Pros

I mainly use it to schedule rooms and events at our two campuses. Our church also has a Preschool through Jr. High, and I need to know who is using what room, and when, in order to schedule facility work, or to schedule groups who use our property for various functions. This can be complicated with the schools using the property, as well as church events, and outside groups. I can easily look on the...

Cons

The integration training we received was excellent, but there is so much to learn, that you have to learn as you go, like any software or system. I would simply say that there is so much that this software can do, it all takes a lot of steps, and learning these steps takes a great deal of time and effort.

HR

Hunter R.

My favorite ChMS

Planning Center has helped our church get back to focusing on people. We used to focus on managing people and administrative tasks, but with the ease of use Planning Center offers, it's allowed us to get back to the people on a more personal level.

Pros

Planning center has many apps, all centered around a common database that serves as the backbone for the entire ecosystem. All the apps reference People, the database app, to add users and administrators to each app. Apps include: Groups: Create and manage small groups. Services: Create service line-ups, worship setlists, and manage volunteers for every team your church has all from one platform,...

Cons

There's so much flexibility with this ChMS that it's hard to know where to start. It's like trying to write a book, and you're staring at a blank page. You know you have something good to write, something worthwhile to say, but you don't know where to start because of the endless possibilities of starting an amazing new journey.

Hi, Hunter! Thank you for your kind words. So glad to hear you're enjoying Planning Center!

David C.

Setting a high bar

We use Planning Center for online giving, service planning, check-ins, and registrations for events and services. We have had great success using all these apps for managing our church.

Pros

Planning Center's suite of apps work together very well, and they integrate into other programs that we utilize, too. They have been flexible with so many of the COVID-related issues over the last year, with great customer service and continued support.

Cons

There are some features that I don't think we take full advantage of because they are buried under other useful features, or they are a little less intuitive for some users.

Chris S.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

The standard for church management software

Having used almost every Planning Center product, there is nothing else that I would recommend. Our entire team uses it weekly for worship, planning, check-ins, de-briefing through reports, congregant database, volunteer team emails, and so much more. Planning Center does a fantastic job and only keeps improving.

Pros

The ease of use is its best feature. Ease in adding people, features, reports, etc. is unmatched in the industry. Also, Planning Center has a modern look and feel that many of its competitors lack. The worship software with the SongSelect integration, planning tools, database, key management, ability to add various media, etc. it is a must-have product for any church that values communication, strategic planning, and excellence. Every Planning Center Product that I have and continue to use remains the standard for church management software.

Cons

Running reports in "People" is cumbersome and time-consuming to get to the exact information you are looking for. It takes a thorough amount of trial and error to extrapolate the intended data by getting the variables just right.

Hey Chris, thanks for the review! If you're willing, we'd love to see if we can help make pulling reports simpler for you. Shoot some details to support@planningcenteronline.com and we'll take a look!

TA

Tanya A.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Upgraded our Planning Center subscriptions...what a difference!

We're increasing engagement to and from our congregation. Adding these additional subscriptions has improved the ways we interact with our church community.

Pros

Our church has used Planning Center Services for some time, but we recently made the move to Planning Center Giving and Groups. What a difference for our staff and congregation! This platform is user friendly, very intuitive. The move from our previous software was done with ease.

Cons

If I were to list any cons it would really be nitpicking. We are very satisfied with our overall experience.

Hey Tanya - thanks so much for the review! So grateful we've made life easier for your staff and congregation! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions. :-)

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Best service planning software around

Around Services and Check ins, Planning Center has been exceptional with customer service and helping us sort through issues. Their tutorial videos are also great. We didn't have great luck with customer service around the financial module, hence the choice to go another direction with our overall database while continuing to use Services.

Pros

Planning Center Services automates really helpful admin and communication work and allows teams to learn and grow with all of the resources they need. From an administrator's perspective, the ability to schedule and view services in matrix mod and keep track of multiple teams of volunteers with various limitations and requests using the preferences and blackouts is easily worth the monthly cost. Services is the backbone of planning center, and there's good reason that it's the standard in mid-sized and larger churches. The interface is intuitive and easy for volunteer users to figure out, and they do a great job of continuing to innovate features and usability.

Cons

While the other modules across planning center have great integration, our church found that the finances side lacked necessary features, meaning we are now running a separate database/CRM while still running planning center services. We wanted to be able to add financial information (givings) into the database without the person entering the data seeing previous data - essentially the ability to enter data blindly. I suspect many other churches are running different databases as well as planning center services, and the multi-system approach isn't ideal, so it would be nice to have a more responsive development team as planning center's interface is generally well built and user friendly.

BT

Brent T.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

The only church software you need!

Pros

I've been using Planning Center since all they had was the Services app. Now with the recent additions of everything else you need to manage church administration needs, I'm even more impressed. The best is you can tell everything was built by people who know what it means to work in a church environment. Not only does everything just work, but it's built with volunteer training in mind. It's intuitive...

Cons

It can be a little glitchy sometimes I've noticed when you have a lot of volunteers scheduled in one plan. Sometimes names will disappear or notifications will change. But it's few and far between.

Darien C.

Impressive Church Management Software that is constantly improving

Planning Center is a life-saver for our organization, freeing up our time to focus on the people that truly matter. Planning Center has allowed us to implement robust systems to manage a lot of our administrative work; simplifying our lives and helping keep our teams on the same page.

Pros

Planning Center offers a robust set of applications that help create a comprehensive church management platform. Combining the useful features of PC People (such as workflows, forms, database management, etc) with their Service management system (Services), Group management system (Groups), Calendar application (Calendar), Attendance tracking systems (Check-ins), Giving platform (Giving) and event...

Cons

Planning Center is a platform that is constantly growing, which of course means that there are always areas of improvement. The beauty of PC is that they are constantly monitoring what is missing, and working on improving in those areas - so anything I list here really are minor issues that will likely be addressed in the near future. Two crucial things that they are missing are a few back-end admin...

AS

Aaron S.

Organization Made Easy!

Overall, Planning Center has helped our church in organization while also providing a great, resourceful, easy to use, customizable, and cosmetically pleasing choice of apps the work so well together and free up our time to work in other needed areas. It also has helped all of our staff be on the same page when going forward in our various ministries and events.

Pros

The variety of different apps that can help with all of our organization needs has been amazing. All the apps are easy to use, come with detailed tutorials so anyone can learn quickly, was able to be implemented into our website well, you can pick and choose which apps you want and skip the ones you may not need, and the customer service was fantastic at replying to support emails. Plus the church center app that can go on your phone makes utilizing these apps easy and cosmetically pleasing. There really just isn’t enough space to write all the pros that this product has.

Cons

The only 2 problems that can be found with this software is that when using the registration app, we are unable to make an event for one day but have multiple time slots to choose from and have to instead make 3 different events with those time slots which takes up more time. The second problem is that the price can be a little daunting and can start to add up quickly when choosing different apps at their various capacities which can limit some of the churches who might have interest.

WH

Wesley H.

Church Done Right!

Planning Center has streamlined our ministry operations and has allowed us the freedom to operate in a way that helps grow smaller churches into larger ones without skipping a beat.

Pros

Planning Center Online (PCO) has been amazing for our church over these last several years. PCO Services gives us what we need to schedule and plan our Sunday services without any trouble. We love the templates that PCO allows us to set up in order to duplicate a service style easily. Easter and Christmas every year are a breeze with PCO Services. We also use PCO Giving, Check-In, People, and Groups as our foundation of running the behind the scenes of our ministry. The user interface (UI) of each module is similar and easy to use, understand, and follow. I tell pastors about PCO all the time. Especially the People account, which is Free!

Cons

I do wish that PCO would create an app for each of its modules, such as groups. It would be a little easier for a Small Group Leader to access all that PCO Groups has to offer without having to open a computer. Also, the cost of each module seems to be adding up quickly. A "small church" with a tight budget may be put off by the cost. However, I can say that it is worth every penny if that church is a planning church.