Boardable Reviews

Boardable

Nonprofit board management software with 90-day FREE access.

4.76/5 (46 reviews)

Pros
  • I love that it is easy to use, easy to set up, and the customer service is amazing.Sara B.Read the full review
  • Boardable was by far the most affordable yet high quality product we looked at when evaluating board software. There's been good support but I haven't really needed it - it's an intuitive software.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • We've established "best practices" for administrators and end users. It has been well received and board members appreciate it's ease of use and efficiency.Kathleen M.Read the full review
Cons
  • Sometimes it's a struggle to get people to complete surveys, but that happens with any board. I have sometimes had trouble finding features on the site.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • At first the initial emails were going to a spam folder for the invitations.Melissa M.Read the full review
  • It is a little limited on a few, just a few, features compared to some other really higher prices choices. But they are continuously making changes and adding upgraded features.Joe C.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Danielle Stealy McDowell

Boardable has greatly improved the way I work with my Board of Directors

Reviewed 2018-01-29

The most impactful thing this software has allowed me to do is mobilize my board members more effectively to make faster and more well-informed decisions.

Pros
I love how easy it is to keep my core members informed. I also love that I can segment them based on committee's or initiatives to keep the 'lines clear' on only information pertinant to what they're involved in.

Cons
The company is still young; I would love to have better API integrations but I'm sure those are in the development pipeline.

Darcy Lee

Game Changing for Operational Efficiency and Nonprofit Impact

Reviewed 2020-05-14

Prior to using Boardable, our organization had disparate file storage systems and multiple channels of communication. This negatively impacted our ability to operate efficiently, and collect and analyze data. Additionally, every year we have changes on our Board of Directors (people phasing in and out). This meant information was sometimes lost, and we were consistently re-inventing the wheel. Boardable has allowed us to create sustainability for our organization, be more organized and efficient, collaborate more efficiently, and (most importantly) have a greater impact in our community.

Pros
Boardable is extremely user-friendly and easy to use. It's easy to onboard new members and get them up-to-speed quickly. Additionally, customer-informed improvements roll out on a consistent basis, which shows that Boardable not only takes customer feedback seriously, but that they're consistently looking to make it more impactful and easy to use. The ability to streamline things like communications and file storage has had a huge positive impact on operational efficiency and accountability.

Cons
There's nothing we don't like. We've consistently provided feedback and it has always been addressed.

Response from Board Management Software

Darcy, thank you for the review! We so enjoy working with you and your board. Keep up the great work, we are always here for you. Jeb

Albert Fong

It's 4 AM in San Francisco, but work hours somewhere and the site seems to be down

Used occasionally for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2018-04-26
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Very accessible, easy to use. Site has been up five of the last six times I've tried to access the in the last couple of weeks.

Cons
Website is inaccessible; appears to be down but no way to tell. Fortunately, the Board Meeting is not later today and will have time to update. Board meetings are probably pretty important for you too, so it would be good to check on uptime statistics, especially in the time zones where you work, before moving relying on this platform.

Response from Jeb

Albert, thank you for your feedback. We recently launched a new website and did have some downtime. Although we did not log any product (app.boardable.com) downtime, our marketing website (boardable.com), which has a link to login to the product, was down for some time during the launch. We notified Boardable account owners in advance of the possible disruption but it appears the communication that went out wasn't sufficient. As such, we have reviewed our advance communication process. Thank you for your user experience feedback; it's highly valuable to us as we grow and improve our processes. Thank you for being a Boardable customer and I appreciate your kind words about its ease of use. Jeb Banner, CEO, Boardable

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Tami Zuccolillo

Excellent customer service

Used occasionally for free trial
Reviewed 2020-03-23

First and foremost, the customer service experience I have had with Boardable has been 100% top notch. I have been working with several different people and each one has been extremely pleasant, very helpful, knowledgeable, not pushy, and willing to assist me in anything I need. Prior to extending our trial which was amazing, I did reach out to say we couldn't use the service at this time and I only received the most encouraging and helpful response. If all customer service could be like Boardable's, we all would be very happy!!

Pros
I love the options for scheduling and for different tiers of communication for Boards and Committees without one seeing the other.

Cons
I haven't used it enough yet to find anything I don't like!

Response from Board Management Software

Tami, thank you so much for the kind words and review! We really appreciate you taking a look at Boardable for your board. Also, I will pass along the praise for our customer support team. They are working hard to get back to everyone quickly and cheerfully so this is great feedback to hear. Thank you! Jeb Banner, CEO, Boardable

Cathy Allen

Break the ridiculous email chains: move your board to Boardable

Reviewed 2019-06-27

As a consultant who works with several nonprofits at a time, I really needed a way to stop the email madness. Too many of the boards I work with struggle with being responsive to each other and I am more and more convinced that the problem is more related to email than to people being too busy or over committed. Once it is built out, Boardable has everything a person needs to fulfill their board obligations in one location. It is well-organized and attractive to look at, allowing the board member to focus on their responsibility itself, rather than on just all the time generating and answering email. I convinced two of my boards to try it and it took quite a bit of effort to get everyone past their resistance and using the system, but with leadership from those who were eager to learn, we eventually got it working well. Another thing we had to do was to project the Boardable screen on the wall in the boardroom so others could follow along that way. Two thumbs up for the customer service team. They were delightful in chats, phone calls and trainings. Very helpful.

Pros
Boardable is a web portal designed to support the governance function of nonprofit boards of directors. By logging in, a board member can find all of their documents, prepare for meetings, engage in between-meeting discussions, co-write documents, assign tasks, schedule meetings and events and more. It is all in one location and very well organized.

Cons
Getting everyone from the team to log in, take some training, and start using it. Some people still resist, which creates extra work for everyone. I do not know what the software makers could do to improve this.

Katy Kitchen

User friendly product

Reviewed 2019-09-30

Pros
We work with a diverse range of 200 users from many backgrounds and experiences so a user friendly system was important. When researching different board management products, many were complicated. Boardable offered a great system at a great value that is easy for our users.

Cons
Sometimes there are quite a few clicks for an administrator to get items where they need to go.

Crystal Grave

This is a great tool that eliminates the need to send lots of documents to Board members.

Reviewed 2017-09-21

The software reduced communications, hunting for documents and collecting Board votes for online voting. I like it a lot.

Pros
The Boardable platform is great for several things. 1. It eliminates the need to send emails and attachments to Board members in the hopes that they will get them all and read them all before the meeting. 2. It cuts down on problems a lot of Board members face at larger corporations with blocked file sharing tools like Box, Dropbox or Google Drive. This isn't an issue because it's out on a server. 3. It cuts down on so much wasted paper from Board packets. Rather than print things out and then toss them after each meeting, Board members can now be responsible for reading and accessing their own Board information. 4. It keeps a record of Board attendance, Board votes and Board meeting documents, all sorted nicely. 5. You can do online voting between meetings - known as polls.

Cons
I think there are some opportunities for some small design changes, and some opportunities to add in other tools that would make sense like screenshare, conferencing, committee communications, etc. Having said that, I like this tool enough that I have recommended it to other non-profits in the area, and do speak highly of it frequently. I think it's got legs to be something pretty great with a few more iterations.

Darcy Lee

Game-changing for Boards

Reviewed 2018-05-11

Pros
Centralized communication has been key to moving our organization forward. It's helped with accountability and tracking, and allows us to communicate between board meetings. Polls are great for gathering feedback, etc.

Cons
I want to be able to use Boardable for my committee functions as well. We have started to do this, but find the feature set is limited. I believe this could be fixed by changing the way we look at member, observer, and administrator. In other words, I want my committee members to have member-level access but only within their defined group. As it stands, committee members can't assign meetings, upload files, etc. because they are limited by their user status. Also, file storage can get hairy. There should be more instructions on storing files, attaching them to meetings, access, etc.

Mechele Hodge

Great product for all levels of users!

Reviewed 2019-09-26

Overall, Boardable has been a great asset to our organization in helping to streamline communications. No regrets!

Pros
This product has streamlined not only our board meetings and materials, but across the organization it has become a tool for internal meeting groups. The best thing about Boardable is that it is super user friendly no matter what the technology comfort level might be. Also, with a larger board, this product has made ease of access to information readily available without having to search through multiple files or reach out to request information.

Cons
There really is not a significant con as Boardable is always enhancing or bringing on new features.

Response from Board Management Software

Mechele, thank you so much for your review! We really value having you and WFYI as Boardable customers. Jeb Banner, CEO

Dione Chambers

Must have software for Board organization

Reviewed 2019-09-28

Pros
We reviewed a number of platforms before we committed to boardable and top features included, document storage and organization, ability to perform polls for a quick response from the board members, ease of use, mobile app and calendar integration.

Cons
For us, the only inhibiting factor is the cost. We were able to qualify for the non-profit rate which helped, however, it would be the only reason the organization would ever discontinue use would be based purley on if there was room in the budget.

Kathleen Moore

Revolutionize your Board Meetings with Boardable!

Reviewed 2019-06-07

We are the business office for an Episcopal bishop. Boardable has revolutionized how we communicate with our governance bodies. All board members are volunteers. Many have full time careers. They appreciate the ease of use and efficiency of Boardable. No paper mailings, no postage , no worries about forgetting to bring your meeting packet, the ability to reference and view documents from a previous meeting, creating task lists and conducting polls for an unexpected urgent meeting have been invaluable to us. The majority of our boards fall under my purview as the bishop's executive assistant. I can't say enough about the amount of time it saves me managing all these various groups.

Pros
Boardable is an efficient, organized, and effective tool to manage governance bodies. Currently we are managing six separate governance bodies and expect to add several more soon. Best features include agenda builder, ability to write your personal notes and reminders in the agenda for your eyes only, meeting minute template, attaching documents directly in the agenda, pooling feature, and, most importantly, it serve as an excellent document repository. We've established "best practices" for administrators and end users. It has been well received and board members appreciate it's ease of use and efficiency. Tech support is extremely helpful and very responsive. The Boardable team is always open to our idea and suggestions.

Cons
One limitation for our use is the inability to have different titles and terms when a person serves on multiple boards. Having the ability to format our own documents would be helpful as well.

Carol Smith

It has streamlined our board communications and document storage in one convenient place for board meetings and committee communications.

Reviewed 2018-03-13
Review Source: Software Advice

I love this software; it has eliminated the need for dozens of emails before a board meeting. It is only a little over a year old, so they are still perfecting it and are very responsive to questions, requests for help and are open to users requests for changes in the way they do things.

Pros
The ability to announce meetings of any kind, attach all documents in the board packet to the meeting and giving the board the ability to respond if they will attend. Can create multiple committee folders in the Document Center Can limit accessibility to some folders Has a People Directory for your board and can add photos and personal information Can download from your hard drive, Dropbox. Google Drive, and One Drive to a meeting Unlimited storage capacity

Cons
So far can attach only one document at a time; they are changing this to multiple document attachments If a document is attached to a meeting and you want to store it in the Document Center, you can't. You have to attach it again. Can only download from your computer to the Document Center, not the cloud drives. Limit of 20 users.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Tiffany Bogle

Simple and Easy to Use

Reviewed 2018-06-22

Pros
I love how Boardable has everything we need in one place. I really like using the scheduler to find a meeting date instead of having to us another program to do that. They are constantly evolving and building enhancements to the software making it very easy to use and intuitive. I like the security features that allow each group to only see information pertaining to their particular group. This helps to ensure that sensitive documents are secure within the software. Members of our board love how the software is self-explanatory and easy to navigate through. The transition from our old software was very well received because of this.

Cons
There are still a couple enhancements that I would like to see, but their customer service team is very open to hearing new ideas that will ultimately help everyone using the software.

Max Sinclair

Beautifully thought-out software

Reviewed 2019-06-26

From the sales process to Tech Support/Customer Service, they have been fantastic.

Pros
We have been using Boardable for a year now. It is incredibly easy to use, and has a clean, uncluttered interface. When our CEO started using it to create meetings, agendas, and documents, I expected a lot of questions to help her through the process. Instead, she immediately was able to use it without help. It's that intuitive. Almost all of our board members signed up right away; they are now able to see meeting documents *before* they show up at the meeting. The phone app is still new, but so far I'm very impressed.

Cons
No complaints. Boardable does not have all the bells and whistles of some of their competition, but we're a local not-for-profit. We don't need those features (nor do we wish to pay for them).

Anonymous

Boardable as a group connection tool

Reviewed 2019-05-29

I've been consulting with a board that is trying to become more board-driven. This tool has been very useful for setting up responsibilities and tracking meeting dates/times. It's helped tremendously with the board's monthly phone conference; having all the documents in one place attached to the right spot on the agenda is great! Sometimes it's a struggle to get people to complete surveys, but that happens with any board. I have sometimes had trouble finding features on the site. I will say customer service has been quite responsive.

Pros
It's a good central place to keep information. It's nice to see who has RSVPed or filled out a survey about setting a meeting date without scanning through emails.

Cons
Some parts of the website are not intuitive. Board members who are not computer savvy tend to stay off the site, and some who are skilled still can't easily find all the features.

Response from Board Management Software

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback on the usability. We are about to launch our iOS and Android apps and we hope that they help address any usability issues that your board members might have. And please keep the feedback coming, we regularly update Boardable and appreciate any and all feedback. - Jeb Banner, CEO, Boardable

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Lucia Downton

Boardable software is so easy to work with for our users and volunteers. It's priced right for NFPs.

Reviewed 2017-09-18

Saves a lot of time for our team members in preparing meeting packets and sending communications for our Board and volunteer committees. Boardable helps to keep us better organized and is easy for our volunteers to interface with our organization and with each other.

Pros
Boardable team is very open to our suggestions for enhancements. They have been a great partner to work with to improve functionality of the app. We explored many different volunteer management software systems but most were not affordable since we operate on a very tight budget. Boardable was priced right and is saving our team lots of time that used to be spent on a manual process preparing for Board and committee meetings. Since starting with Boardable we have discovered a few other programs that easily benefit from using Boardable's functionality. Boardable is a great tool to use for collaboration with external partners.

Andrew Brill

Boardable has made organizing board activity incredibly successful.

Reviewed 2018-06-12

Easier board management and consolidation of processes.

Pros
Lots of features that are incredibly functional. Calendar is very clean and easy to use specifically when it comes to checking who has replied yes to the meeting invite. Polls are helpful when tracking board decisions. File management is incredibly useful when giving access to Board members to past files and minutes. We also upload audio files of past meetings making it incredibly easy for members that miss meetings to stay engaged. Easy to control members and invites easily adding groups to calendar invites and sharing files.

Cons
With most upstart tech companies they are building the software through customer recommendations. Which means the product is a work in progress and does not have total functionality right now. They are doing a great job updating and adding features but it takes time.

Zachary Alexander

Boardable is such a user-friendly software. It really helps organize and streamline communication.

Reviewed 2017-09-20

Pros
Boardable allows members to communicate in between meetings, which means that work isn't solely done at meetings, but also in the interim. Everything is only one or two clicks away and new users are able to access all the content they need through the easily navigable system. Instead of clogging up your inbox, communication is archived through the Boardable platform. Working with other board management software, Boardable is by far the most user-friendly and attractive to use.

Cons
Because Boardable hasn't even been up and running for even a year, sometimes bugs occur. However, the Boardable team is always so quick and diligent about responding to feedback and improving their product to make it the most efficient, most impactful software for its clients.

Kate Swanson

Love having our Board documents, reports, minutes, attendance all organized in one place!

Reviewed 2017-09-18

Pros
It's brilliant to create a central place for all board members to have access to everything they need to be a successful and active part of any board. The platform also provide a great way for boards to communicate without drowning in the email ocean.

Cons
As a nonprofit, we are frugal with our well earned dollars. Although, I see great benefits to using Boardable, this is an added expense for our organization.

Anonymous

Affordable way to centralize Board Communications

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-09-27

Pros
This is a dream for keeping your board communications centralized. As a board liason, I used to send many nagging emails -- now Boardable sends reminders and when asked for documents I can say, "That's in Boardable!" ... better yet, I can link directly to those documents without downloading them. I took minutes using their tool during a meeting for the first time this week and loved that you can enter either a note, a task, or a decision -- then tasks and decisions are summarized at the end. Fantastic.

Cons
You can't set a time zone specific to a meeting, which is challenging for us because we have meetings in different locations throughout the year. I'm still learning to use the minutes management so I can't speak to that yet.

Response from Board Management Software

Thank you for your review and feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you think of Boardable. Thank you for being a customer, Jeb Banner, CEO

Holly Klindt

A very useful tool for my board

Reviewed 2019-06-17

Boardable has made it possible for board members to access documents and ask questions at any time from any location. The document center has been very useful and the personnel list has cut down on time when trustees need to contact each other. By making a folder in the document center for executive session that is accessible only by trustees, we have finally found a solution for storing those documents in a place that all trustees can easily access.

Pros
The ease of use - even my tech-challenged board members have leaned in and are appreciative of the features it provides. I also love the minute taking tool.

Cons
I would have said the lack of a mobile app, but this has recently been fixed!

Joe Caruso

Simple, affordable and does what it needs to without the high price point. Great for small boards.

Reviewed 2017-12-20

Single online portal that is accessible to all our board members. Centralized storage and documentation center as well as discussion board. Integrated calendar and polls work well to keep all members connected in between meetings. And everything has permissions settings to allow/ disallow access to pretty much anything you like.

Pros
It's simplicity. Very easy to use and has a quick learning curve. Tech support has been very responsive to any questions or requests. Was able to get out working and all our board members online in less than 10 mins. They offer a free trial which makes this choice a no brainer.

Cons
It is a little limited on a few, just a few, features compared to some other really higher prices choices. But they are continuously making changes and adding upgraded features. This was the only reason I didn't give the features 5 stars as it wasn't the perfect solution (for our needs) , but hey, nothing is ever perfect. Extremely close though and wouldn't really consider this a con.

Gary Vought

Using Boardable over the last few months has been a great improvement for us from paper handouts.

Reviewed 2018-03-21

Organization of board documents will be especially helpful during any transitions. Board members love having all their information in on place.

Pros
After researching several online board portals, we found Boardable to be the most economical for us. It has all the basic features we need.

Cons
All functions of the software work fine. We would really like to see the app for tablets and phones, a way for board members to make notes on documents as they review them. And the agenda in the meeting page, not as a separate document would be very handy.

Response from Board Management Software

Dear Gary, thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear Boardable has helped your board members move away from printed materials. You are in good company regarding wanting to see the agenda in the meeting page! We've heard this feedback from others and we're working to address this in an upcoming product release.

-Julie Heath, VP of Customer Success

Karissa HUlse

Easy to use, big impact on communications

Reviewed 2017-09-29

Pros
It's offering a one stop resource for our 2 boards of directions and multiple committees. With a tiny staff of 4, this is a huge impact for us.

Cons
Honestly, the biggest hurdle is how much the software is still developing. As a start up, they are releasing updates often, on one hand, it's hard for me to keep up, but every step is making the software work more effectively too!

Shellie Pfohl

We research several board portals and Boardable won out on best value for the money

Reviewed 2018-03-13

We were able to go paperless for all board meetings and communications.

Pros
It is easy, not so complicated, so our board can intuitively log in and find what they need. We are a smaller non-profit and it has everything we need.

Cons
It may lack a couple of bells and whistles that some of the more sophisticated products have, but for the money it wins out BIG time.