ShareFile Reviews

ShareFile

Secure file sharing and sync

4.46/5 (256 reviews)

Pros
  • Easy to use and has several add-ins that all seem to work great. Customer support is easy to contact, helpful and speak good english.Jamie S.Read the full review
  • We appreciate the ability to quickly and securely share files. Good accountability and super reliable, but a bit pricey.David B.Read the full review
  • It is the great platform that helps me in sharing documents with others in reliable manners. It has good security system to secure each and every file of my concern.Logan S.Read the full review
Cons
  • The desktop app seems to work well than when you access it with your PC browser. We have not had any major problems with this tool but poor internet coverage might block you from accessing files.Peter W.Read the full review
  • When we use the S Drive version, HORRIBLE. Not just horrible, but costs you so much money and aggravation in downtime, you could not imagine until you try it.Stephane P.Read the full review
  • If you have a stationary location where you do not switch between networks, i am sure it is fine, but if you travel with a laptop, go from one network service to another, it SUCKS, incredibly SUCKS.Stephane P.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Michael Weyant

Beta tester turned daily user

Reviewed 2016-06-29

I have a long history with Citrix. I beta tested the GoToAssist line of products. So they asked me to beta test the ShareFile product. In the beginning it was crap. I tried to upload my files (about 1 TB) and it croaked after 5 GB. I called support and they referred me to a company that was writing a migration tool. I beta tested that too. they asked for my honest opinion and I gave it to them. I told them Citrix should just fix their software and I shouldn't have to buy an extra tool to get my data into the cloud. Fast forward 2 years later, my Accountant tells me we are bleeding money paying for something we're not using (ShareFile) he said use it or dump it. So I download it again, started using it, uploaded my 1TB+ of data into it and was impressed. They have come a LONG way. I can even modify word documents and PDF's within the ShareFile client. Now they have an iOS app and droid app. I see improvements on a regular basis, like now they have a "save to sharefile" option on the iOS. This is Citrix after all they make good stuff. I am glad I stuck with them so long because now I have a grandfathered account type. It's coming along really well and I'm really happy I stuck with them. they used to support WebDav for windows integration, now they have a "Mapped drive app"

Pros
iOS save to sharefile Easy to use interface progress bar when uploading files MODIFY DOCUMENTS in sharefile share a file/folder for a # of downloads share a file/folder for a # of days download notifications no sharefile account? no problem you can still see my files Ha Ha I FORCE you to create an account, to see me files because I can! (or because my regulations state I have to require individual accounts.)

Cons
Relatively speaking they are coming late to the market, Box and Dropbox have been out a long time. I'm trying to think of some con's but the truth is I know they are improving the software as I type. Oh I though of one. In Microsoft word they don't have "save to sharefile" option like dropbox does, but they do have the "Drive mapper app" so you can save it to Z: or whatever. They don't synchronize with my NAS, it's deliberate. I'm a network engineer I tried all the tricks and workarounds, yes even symbolic links and hard links. They don't work. You're not supposed to do it. They're not trying to be a backup for your NAS.

Joey Pham

Secure File Sharing Solution

Reviewed 2019-08-08

Pros
Easy to navigate UI. ShareFile has an add-on that integrates into standard Outlook email platform. The add-on allows you to email large files using a secure third party FTP, where sensitive documents can only be accessed by permitted parties. It's easy to set permissions if you allow the document to be shared with others. Works well for cloud sharing documents and files where collaboration is needed. You can set a time duration for files to automatically delete themselves, so that makes managing storage capacity easier.

Cons
No real cons that I can think of. Perhaps for some people who are not tech savvy might have trouble setting up their personal preferences, but this could apply to any software. I found it easy and intuitive to set up using the web app, mobile app, and the Outlook extension.

Jeffrey Severance

Sharefile is a useful file transfer service.

Reviewed 2020-02-08

Sharefile is a good solution with a simple easy to use interface. It works well for sending large files inside and outside the company. The tool provides simple instructions for downloading files from others.

Pros
Sharefile allows people outside and inside our company to upload files via a secure link. These files can be targeted to specific individuals. It also integrates well with Microsoft Outlook as a plugin which provides a good user experience. It is really useful because it allows us to share files without having to make a user account.

Cons
The process when logging into it using our corporate single sign on solution may be interrupted at certain points in time. This can cause frustration when using it's GUI.

Ravinder Beniwal

ShareFile - Easy to use file sharing and secure data storage app

Reviewed 2019-12-23

We used Sharefile to share large files (typically in Gigabytes) with our clients and internally. Earlier, we used emails and FTP for the same which is kind of very tedious task, but with Sharefile sharing large files have become an easy task and saves a lot of time.

Pros
ShareFile is one of the best platforms to share large files with your clients, vendors and even internally within your company. It allows you to organize files in different folders. To share a file, users have to upload the files into the right folder and then the user has options to give access to the files wither via a web-link or you can share an entire folder with a group of people. Files uploaded on the Sharefile account can be accessed seamlessly from any endpoint including a mobile app, desktop or web-browser. In terms of security, Sharefile is equipped with two-factor authentication and single sign-on feature. Other important features include integration with third-party software such as office 365, Microsoft outlook and Gmail via plugins which allows real-time co-editing and co-authoring of a document.

Cons
Sharefile subscriptions come with very different pricing options with varied features. So, if you go with a basic plan you would only get basic features like storage and sharing. Other plans are a little bit costly and include features like Office 365 co-editing, Gmail and Outlook plugins, encryptions, and electronic signatures. The set of features in the Sharefile mobile app is limited and allows only basic functions. Integration with third-party software such as embedded video player, Image viewer can be improved.

Tim Barber

THINGS ARE CHANGING

Reviewed 2018-02-22

Well, after around 10 years of using Sharefile without any issues and only using customer support about 2-3 times we were told that the charges would be basically multiplying by ten times the amount and if we didn't like it, TOO BAD!!!! No negotiation, no warning period (don't consider a 30-60 window after being told you're screwed to quit service or pay a valid warning), no understanding, just "do this or else... don't like it, we don't care.... see ya later scrub." Very unprofessional and in my opinion can and maybe will break your company. With a marketing plan/ploy like that where you corner customers and then on top of that don't care about them in the slightest sense you are heading for disaster.

Pros
I liked that it was affordable, easy to use, and we could do more if we wanted to. The actual log in and navigation was easy to use for the most part after some updates and the customer care used to be okay the few times I needed it.

Cons
They have now hiked up the prices basically telling Small/Medium Businesses to pay up or leave (only about a 30-60 day window to decide do I want to pay more or not). For most small businesses it's an easy choice as alternative affordable pricing is out there all over as I found. I guess they only care about big time companies now that they are "Big Time". Lol, while searching for them I see that they were one of best in 2017... big heads? Seems to be the case. I think this new change will make everything they were doing go down hill fast... good luck shareholders (if they are public).

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Greg Paulus

Very versitile and easy to figure out program

Reviewed 2019-08-16

overall experience was very good and will continue to recommend it where I work and for my clients.

Pros
The software includes a number of additional features, including secure email, and the ability to easily and affordably add more. I have used this software now at three different companies. Set up was easy and the help center guidance was very good.

Cons
Set up of folders was a little tedious and slightly cumbersome but was very easy to figure out and add/subtract people as needed.

Noah Genatossio

Noah's review of Sharefile

Reviewed 2020-01-15

Overall, for the price (billed quarterly), it's not bad. They seem to be the most prominent secure file sharing service, and I'm not sure if their competitors are able to offer the same quality of service at a comparable price. For the time being, I would say Sharefile is a safe bet.

Pros
The services provided by Sharefile that I like the most are: A) The "send a link" option for emailing confidential documents to clients. This allows me to quickly upload the documents, copy a link, and paste it into an email, without cluttering the email with a large graphic or anything of that nature. B) The ease in which you can set up notification email forwarding. I like to keep track of what other users are receiving from clients, and Sharefile makes it easy to set up a system where I get email notifications regardless of the user in our firm who is receiving documents.

Cons
I dislike the outlook extension for Sharefile. When inserting files to share into an email using the outlook extension (not the "send a link" option), a large box autogenerates in the body of the email that disrupts the format of the email. I also dislike the fact you have to have purchase a certain "tier" of membership in order to upload folders to clients through Sharefile. Without being able to organize files into folders, the burden of organization falls upon the client.

Cristian Sebastian Fernandez

Easy and useful

Reviewed 2019-08-09

I use this software to store and share documents on the go, It is easy to use, A good tool to me.

Pros
Easy to set up and easy to use, easy to share.

Cons
I think this is a good software and as long they keep it running good I think it will be fine.

Tim Janosa

Program Review

Reviewed 2020-02-20

Pros
Easy to use and easy to train new employees to use.

Cons
Too many steps in some of the specific features.

Rebecca Bashore

We love Citrix

Reviewed 2019-12-23

We have had great success with ShareFile. We love the integrations with RightSignature and Outlook and how it fits our office perfectly.

Pros
I love the integration with outlook. Most programs do not pair well with Microsoft Outlook, if they even offer that feature at all!

Cons
It was a little difficult to learn in the beginning but once you figure it out, its a great software!

Great as a File Storage System

Reviewed 2019-08-03

We put Sharefile in place without an IT admin or any IT specialists on hand. A group of four of us tackled the transition from our university's shared drive, handling the data migration and the set up of folder structures. Because of this, I'm sure we didn't have all file storage best practices down pat. I don't know that Citrix provides much in way of recommendations for how to structure the data; that said, we only purchased Sharefile rather than a more enterprise-minded solution. I am sure with heftier purchases that there'd be more consultation and interaction. For the several-thousand annual price we pay for a team of around 40, the benefits of Sharefile are immense. As with any system of this size that's cloud-based, there's a bit of a learning curve to get comfortable with the more in-depth features and functionality, but once we learned how certain aspects work, it's been great and has become a core part of how we conduct the sharing of files with clients.

Pros
Cloud-based and easy to understand web interface is nice. Onboarding and implementation was good and inexpensive. The check-in and check-out file features are nice, as are the abilities to share files with external users. The security and uptime as well as ability to resolve any system-wide outages quickly.

Cons
Some frustrations in features that I was expecting to be more fully fleshed out, such as workflows or ability to work on documents online without the lag of connecting with 365 and handling some of those handovers.

Anonymous

I deployed ShareFile on my platform

Reviewed 2018-07-03

Pros
ShareFile is easy to use. The Outlook plug-in allows an easy way for customers to send secure files as well as secure emails with a few short clicks. Users are able to create their own folders and we share folders with our clients. There are templates for subfolders as well as retention periods for files. We are able to send attachments beyond Outlook's size limitations and ShareFile helps scan for potentially dangerous content. You can also control what network users access their ShareFile account. There are a lot of options available if you're looking to protect information that leaves your company.

Cons
There can be issues with downloading a lot of files at once from the browser. However; Citrix makes a ShareFile desktop app this helps speed up this process. You can turn two factor on, but you have to have each user go to their account and manually enable it. That makes us work with each user in order to enable two factor. The cost can be expensive, but we had reduced rate. Its well worth looking around for a good deal if you decide to implement ShareFile. A small downside is when a user goes to preview a password protected document, they have to download the file because ShareFile's website cannot prompt you for the password.

Levi Ferguson

Turned a file sharing mess into an easy to use hub for our plants.

Reviewed 2018-07-10

It cut down the time it took our workers to properly catalogue and upload video records. It also was easier to track down mis-labled records and put them where they needed to be. Having switched all our plants over to Sharefile, we are better able to view and respond to issues promptly. It's ease of use has left us with fewer errors in our documentation.

Pros
The web interface was easy to pick up on. We migrated to Sharefile from another large file sharing site that was falling short in what we needed for our multiple plants. Sharefile gave a central space to the large amount of video files we use for inspections and documentation of various equipment that we own and lease. Having a central space to record and track all inspections was fundamental to our business needs. What impressed me most about Sharefile was the cleanliness of the website and the ease of use that it exemplifies. It took less than an hour to get all our workers on board with the how to use the site and catalog our files.

Cons
The only real down side is with the gross amount of folders we have, you have to wait for the page to populate when you reach the end of the first set. Enabling a manual shortcut (like typing in a folder name to take you to that folder) would be a great benefit.

Michael Carpenter

Great file storage and management that has grown along with our organization

Reviewed 2018-04-15

Since jumping on board with ShareFile in 2012, the platform has grown along with our organization and has allowed us to reliably request, store and manage client advertising materials for our publication. It has also helped automate our internal and external communication processes regarding advertising material.

Pros
One of our most-used features of ShareFile is setting up our clients with individual folders to allow them to upload and store their advertising creative. This is similar to FTP, but ShareFile allows us to receive notifications based on upload, download, etc on a per-folder and per-user basis. We also set it up to notify the client when their ad is downloaded by a member of our team, thereby completely automating the ad delivery process for our publication. The other great feature of ShareFile that we use is desktop app synchronization. This allows ads to be curated by our ad manager and delivered to our production team automatically.

Cons
The web interface can be a bit hit or miss at times, and performance can also vary. The desktop sync apps also are a bit sluggish and would benefit from an improvement in responsiveness.

Matt "Griff" Keller

Webhosted Data Storage

Reviewed 2018-11-13

Departments did not want to have files hosted locally due to potential server outages as we did not have a great server setup. This was achieved, but with internet outages it makes it difficult to access those files.

Pros
Sharefile at it's most basic a cloud hosted file server instead of hosting one within an office or company. It does allow also the ability to send download links, given the right permissions, for customers to upload or download specific files. Being hosted offsite, it definitely gives an upside for not having to maintain servers or an IT rack within the office.

Cons
If your outside internet connection goes down, then you have no access to your file structure. This happens to if you are a remote person trying to access an office hosted server. The other issue can be bandwidth for uploading/downloading to Sharefile. When we first started using it, it was also very slow and cumbersome, taking several times longer to upload or navigate than a locally hosted server. We also experience at least 1-2 internet downtime events a month, so people cannot access their work for certain periods of time.

Anonymous

Sharefile is a quick easy way to manage, store, host, receive, request, and transmit documents.

Reviewed 2017-11-08

This software gives me a peace of mind I couldn't get through many other document repository sites. I suppose the only issue is some of my clients aren't sure how secure transmissions of unencrypted data is via the site.

Pros
I don't ever worry about Sharefile glitching. When my coworker experienced trouble syncing, she told me the support team she called stayed on the phone with her and walked her through everything and waited to make sure the issues resolved. It puts my mind at ease, which is very important when talking about all the documentation for everything I do. My business relies on my documentation. It's great knowing it's also cloud-hosted so I don't have to worry about losing access due to any potential hardware malfunctions.

Cons
I don't have much to say in terms of cons related to Sharefile's service and product. It is so straightforward and user friendly. It's intuitive - my boss was shocked when I had downloaded, synced, and set up the whole company Sharefile on my new device before he got the chance to explain what I needed to do. I attribute that to the intuitive, consistent, helpful design.

Justin Houck

Works just as we hoped

Reviewed 2019-09-04

Pros
This product was a part of a bundle deal we purchased with Podio. Podio was the original program we went after, but when we realized this would be part of the deal, we were very pleased. Before we had been storing files on everyone dropbox and google drive accounts, and it became tedious to keep up with all of the logins and which account the files were on. Now, all of our cloud files are in one place. It is very easy to share large files with other companies or our field crews through sharefile. It also has an addin for outlook that will automatically generate a link if the attachments in the email are too large (user defined size), which is fantastic. It takes out the guessing game of, hmm....I wonder if this email will go through or not.

Cons
Having used this product for over a year now, at least weekly, I have not had any issues with the software. We did not shop around too much for cloud storage services, however, I cannot speak for certain to the price and features of the competition out there.

maxime delespaul

Sharefile : A good product with unresolved bugs for years !

Reviewed 2019-04-01

Overall, it's a very good/solid product, with usefull features and good UX/UI. Sadly, the persistent bugs and the slowness of the upload for multiple low volume files make Sharefile impossible to use as repository : it is a good tool to share 1/2 files with clients via emails, nothing more.

Pros
Ease of use, basic functionnalities do work properly, connectivity with Outlook (via Sharefile plug-in)

Cons
The recurent bugs / issues that see no corrections (for years). The first ones that come in mind : - every 4-6 months, you have to reinstall Sharefile desktop because the app is not the same anymore. Same for the Sharefile plugin for Outlook. - ~90% of the time, you have to launch Sharefile desktop twice to start it. It happens on all computers I've tested Sharefile desktop on (rouhgly 20 computers with different setups) - With 'double validation' connexions, you'll receive as many as 3 SMS, most of the time I receive 2 of them (only one containing the right validation code). Same happens for many Sharefile users I know.

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Marco Falzone

Very flexible business

Reviewed 2019-01-23

ShareFile is the business application that tries to replicate that "Dropbox Look and Feel" loved by millions users. Thought for organizations, it offers premium features like Workflow and highest security standards. The desktop app allow to sync local and cloud folders easily, and a plugin for Outlook is available too (it's a share link generator, embedded in the mail client). Main benefits are surely linked with security, because ShareFile can be implemented within the IT infrastructure, and becomes the safe-but-easy-to-use bridge between internal file servers and outside users (customer / providers / consultants / auditors / banks / other stakeholders).

Pros
- Dropbox Look & Feel - Multi platform (Desktop apps + Mobile apps for Win / Mac / iOS / Android) - Advanced sharing option (like expiration date / upload-download notifications) - Users management (granular privileges can be assigned to any folder or file) - Versioning feature

Cons
No downsides or weaknesses, so far. Both desktop and mobile apps are pretty stable and servers uptime on clouds is near 100% (no issue observed in the first year of continuos use).

aanchal vashistha

Best tool to share big files!

Reviewed 2018-03-31

Pros
The feature that I love the most is that I do not have to checkin any document. Its simple drag and drop feature makes it very easy to use. Every time I have a big file to share, Sharefile is always my first preference. Unlike other file sharing tools, Sharefile lets you share a direct link with anyone. The person at the other end does not really have to worry about the whole file structure, the only thing visible is the one particular file that has been shared.

Cons
Though the tool is extremely easy to use, there is no lock feature available. If the environment were to be accessed by multiple users at the same time, there could be version related issues. Though the different versions can be seen easily yet this tool does not seem to have the required amount of sophistication required for a very professional setup.

Customizable, Secure, and Beyond Simple

Reviewed 2018-11-25

We began looking for an enterprise solution to file sharing/signing and was hoping to reduce user burden by having the solution serve a host of functions. We were particularly intrigued by the prospect of secure file collaboration but this feature was not as user friendly and compared to Google docs, there was a lot lacking. While this prevented widespread implementation, several teams nonetheless still rely on sharefile. The continued acquisitions by Citrix also make one wonder how Sharefile will continue to improve/integrate over the next iterations.

Pros
Being able to send clients to a personal, branded client folder to access whatever they need (with my customized security settings and email alerts) was amazing. Also a huge fan of the send me a file link that can be embedded into email signature blocks

Cons
The 2 main shortcomings of the product are what keeps it from being an Enterprise wide solution (though it is nonetheless superb for secure document sharing and signing). I did not test the Outlook plugin, but the Gmail plugin was not nearly as easy as it was made out to be.

Anonymous

Sharefile for ease of access to files across networks

Reviewed 2019-11-17

It has been great working with Sharefile. We have cut down IT infrastructure costs by a huge amount. We are very happy with the functionality and how we can continue to share files across the wide locations of our organisation.

Pros
Sharefile was pretty straight forward on the implementation side for our accounting practices network which is located in different offices across the continent. We did not need to hire expensive IT professionals for this task. We did it using our internal resources. Being cloud based we also have not had to invest in any extra infrastructure. It plugs in well with outlook making it much easier for us to send retrieve and send files from Outlook with just a few clicks. Overall for the cost this has been a great solution for us.

Cons
I have no real cons with this software as it is effective and does what it does. Some of our people on the network complain of speed but this is probably more a problem caused by their internet speed and connection.

Magali Slagle

Yоur реrfесt fіlе shаrе рlаtfоrm

Reviewed 2019-02-20

Pros
Thіs аррlісаtіоn hаs а lоt оf рlugіns sо уоu саn іntеgrаtе іt wіth dіffеrеnt рrоgrаms аnd соllесt уоur dаtа frоm sоftwаrе lіkе Mісrоsоft Outlооk оr Gооglе Chrоm. Bесаusе I wоrk wіth сlіеnts, It іs vеrу соnvеnіеnt thаt I саn sеnd thеm bіg fіlеs thrоugh thіs аррlісаtіоn аnd thеу wіll bе аblе tо ассеss іt wіthоut аnу рrоblеm. Alsо, іf I wаnt, I саn hіdе реrsоnаl fоldеrs frоm mу со-wоrkеrs whісh іs vеrу соnvеnіеnt аnd mаkеs wоrkflоw smооthеr.

Cons
Oh, sаdlу, thеrе аrе sоmе thіngs, thаt I dоn't lіkе аbоut thіs арр. Fоr еxаmрlе, I dоn't thіnk іt іs еvеn роssіblе tо wоrk wіth PDF fіlеs оn thіs рlаtfоrm whісh іs а trеmеndоus lеtdоwn. Mоrеоvеr, fоr sоmе strаngе rеаsоn, dеsktор арр hаs fеwеr fеаturеs thаn thе brоwsеr vеrsіоn аnd vеrу оftеn іt саusеs сhаоs аmоng соwоrkеrs оr еvеn сlіеnts. And іf уоu, fоr sоmе rеаsоn, dоn't wаnt tо usе thеіr рlug-іn іn Mісrоsоft Outlооk аnуmоrе, уоu саnnоt dеlеtе іt, whісh іs strаngе, tо sау thе lеаst.

Kevin Holt

Great if you need HIPAA compliant sharing

Reviewed 2019-08-23

The biggest issue we had was that we needed HIPAA compliant file sharing, and it fits the need perfectly.

Pros
As a Citrix product it carries the usual value for the price, ease of use, and reliability you can expect from them. A huge plus is that it is also HIPAA compliant, and was the most cost-efficient solution we found that was.

Cons
We haven't had any negatives at all with using ShareFile so far, and we've been using it for about 2 years now.

Tapan Jain

Sharefile - File sharing made easy

Reviewed 2018-01-31

Pros
Sharefile has attempted to enable the users share files larger than what their email servers support without doing anything different than the usual. They can still attach a large file using Sharefile plugin and send the mail to the recipient. It also provides an option to upload the file on their server and then share the link to the file with the intended recipients. It facilitates file access from anywhere and any device for the recipient. Files are always secured by encryption while they are stored in their servers as well as during transit. One can be in complete control of their content and change the access permissions anytime from anywhere.

Cons
It doesn't provide a feature to add another layer of protection such as 2 Way Authentication which can make the user feel more secure rather than just rely on Sharefile's security expertise. Also, it doesn't have a software client which can be installed on the machines which hampers the ability for all the contents in a folder to be in sync at all the devices.