All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Act! Reviews

Scott F.

Read the full review
Really excellent technical help if you want it. We use it for monitoring our membership, probably only using a few of its features.

peter M.

Read the full review
Easy to use and easy to setup, the software is ready direct from installation and the built in reporting and functionality is fantastic.

Brian W.

Read the full review

Cons

Sometimes switching between databases causes the software to crash. It has been a problem with most versions we have used.

Dawn E.

Read the full review
We have been frustrated over the years by the number of crashes and freezes. Occasionally an import will not import correctly and the data in put into the wrong fields.

Angela T.

Read the full review
In my business my CRM is my navigator and used as a main part of my business day. The down time is ridiculous.

Sherilyn R.

Read the full review

Its okay - there are better cloud based options...

Good As A Contact Manager, Not As A 2020 CRM

Love the ease of use for both entering data and retrieving info

I use it to track my clients and prospects and I can tell anyone the last time I made contact, what that was - letter, Email, Phone Call, etc. and it allows me to connect important info to any of my clients, prospects, friends and family.

Pros

The fact that I was able to use the product immediately with no instruction was a great pro. Entering data and retrieving info about a client is easy, and building history of calls, Email messages, letters in a record is great.

Cons

I am not happy with support as all they do is provide a fix when there is a problem, but not direction in how to build reports or use other functionality. I have had to fix the same problem with direction from their service group several times. If I ask for help with reports they tell me I need to find a consultant for that.

ACT! for Insurance/Financial Advisors

I love all the features that meet the needs of financial advisors. The customizable fields are beneficial and improve the overall use of the software. It has probably just as many features as other customer relations management programs but cost is substantially less. Very happy with my selection.

Pros

The Act! for Advisors software has been modified to meet the requirements of a financial advisor which includes being able to input information regarding insurance contracts. The new Marketing Automation is an great way to send out Newsletters, etc.

Cons

They have lots of online resources/video's to learn the Marketing Automation. You can also speak to customer service but they recently cut their remote access where you can have customer service work on your computer to help answer/show you how to do things with the marketing automation.

Act! through the years

I love Act!, the functionality, the ability to customize, detailed reports. I run my single jobs, AR, AP, reporting, generate documents, calendar, follow up, email all through Act! and have micro control of every document and report. I have several users and the addons are endless.

Pros

I began using Act! 20+ years ago the draw for me was the ability to customize the product for my companies needs. I have run my company's database with this software from start up and I have made it work through the years. In the earlier days I was able to automate functionality to stay ahead of trends and have robust productivity far a head of my competitors. As the years have gone on and the product was sold and resold they have updated and brought general users more but have left lifelong users in the dust for profit.

Cons

Subscription services that cripple my ability to utilize the fully purchased/owned product. I feel that the company sold out for recurring subscriptions. I don't care that they want to go to subscription but I do care that I have my feet held to the fire because of it. Users like myself enabled their progress and continued success.

22 year plus customer Sage / Act

Years ago Act software helped me build a tremendous mortgage business. Out of that experience, I am reaching out to offer some effective criticism to enhance your product. Good luck! Feel free to contact me anytime.

Pros

I was probably one of the first purchasers of Act. It is a great program that needs a company to put some serious thought behind making it work better. After shopping several other CRM software's I still think it is above the rest in both user friendly and functionality. You price for the product is more than fair (in fact, I think low) but the software runs like it is somebody's part time job.

Cons

Customer service is the worst. The guys in India are great and I have nothing bad to say about them but is there some reason I need to sit on a phone 45 minutes waiting to speak to the representative? Again I think Act could be the CRM leader but I don't see much improvement over the past few years. The principles of this company have sat back and let opportunities walk by not focusing on the customers needs. With all the apps and technologies available Act should have more to offer.When I purchase a product I do not expect to have to spend hours chasing down my answers through videos.

One of the easiest CRMs to learn yet very robust

Pros

I really like the layout and tab system for quickly navigating to relevant data and files attached to the case you are working on. ACT! Was the first CRM I learned to use and it has only gotten better with age.

Cons

I had a little difficulty figuring out how to get the datasets i needed to query properly but that wasn't a problem with their platform, it was a lack of knowledge.

A GOOD STABLE BASE FOR CRM ... JUST WISH ENHANCING WAS A LITTLE EASIER

We need ACT, and it is the core of what we do. We would like to see ways that we can add depth and richness to a good platfrom

Pros

I like the fact that a team of 5 can share effectively in real time, I like the ease of changing layouts and adding fields, and with Seamless the ablity to easily prdcue high quality documenation. It's link to outlook and ODBC is good and it is a stable, which being at the core of our business is a good thing

Cons

There are many things I think we could do to be more productive but can't, and we do see fields being changed or lost "by themselves". The web version was a poor version of the Pro, and we haven't been able to make it available when offline, which is a frustration.

Great product, a lot of capabilities!

Great! I have zero complaints. I do need to take some time to learn more functions but that is on me, not the program.

Pros

Ease of use. I have used it in the past so familiarity.

Cons

The remote app is not as user friendly as some I have seen but it works.

Good As A Contact Manager, Not As A 2020 CRM

ACT! was very helpful in moving our business forward at a time where we mainly needed to focus on contact management. Now that I need a true CRM, there are better alternatives for us.

Pros

I used ACT daily for years. It works well as a contact manager and can help track email conversions through an Outlook plugin.

Cons

The program lacks the advanced functionality you would expect with a modern day customer relationship management software. The design is also extremely dated.

2021 ACT v22 Review

Overall, from 1991 up until summer 2020, has been pretty seamless using ACT and upgrading from previous versions to current versions. The last v22.0 upgrade I installed, gave me the impression that someone at ACT was more concerned about getting their bonus and 'rushing' out this new version, than making sure an 'error free' product was released. This combined with the elimination of service contracts, gives the impression they're going to "milk the cow" and end up closing up the business and leaving customers stranded.

Pros

Familiar as I have been using ACT since 1991, starting with v2.0 and now have v22.1.

Cons

ACT worked 'great' up to and including v21. Since the release of v22, I get ACT "NOT RESPONDING" messages 6-8x per day and need to completely reboot my laptop. Also with v22, I have randomly and periodically had (2x) my template for Contacts changed/rearranged. This combined with the elimination of service contracts, makes using ACT and potentially upgrading to the next version of ACT "unattractive".

Try Another CRM

We utilize Act to track our communications with customers/leads and track sales metrics based on activities done within Act.

Pros

There isn't much I like about using Act. It is clunky and there are a lot better CRM tools out there that are much more sophisticated and are better for integrating multiple programs. It is a relatively easy tool to use although it does not do a lot of what we would like it to be able to use.

Cons

Act seems to be patched together from add-ons over the year and has not had a comprehensive UX refresh. It also is not simple to integrate with our other software like a lot of other software tools are

Long Time User

Because we have at least 3 people involved in one transaction, the relationship tab helps us tie them together to the transaction. We can toggle back and forth easily without having to search another name. It's quick and efficient. With our customized fields, we can easily see years of history for a client on one page. We have been frustrated over the years by the number of crashes and freezes.Occasionally an import will not import correctly and the data in put into the wrong fields. The support help and support page of the marketing automation is very poor and lacking in depth training on creating/sending eblasts. There are is no advanced level training for the eblasts and drip marketing.

Pros

This is a robust software program. We have added many custom fields that allows us to track a lot of data really dig into for trends and statistics. We love how history is captured a for all the activity we do for and with a client. We rely on the relationship tab heavily as multiple people are involved in a transaction. We are really enjoying the new Marketing Automation. It has a lot of robust features that we are just beginning to tap into. We also like the groups feature. We have hundreds of groups that we can run reports and create statistics from. We can see how many groups a contact is part of which helpful as well. I like the statistics ACT generates from drip marketing. Knowing what emails bounced back or who opted out helps us improve our data.

Cons

When searching for a person, it doesn't give you the option of having similar names - the spelling must be exact. It crashes when we are in the social updates tab. Customer Service: Often the techs are hard to understand. The time we spend on the phone with customer service on average lasts about 1/2 to an hour depending on the issue. That is a big interruption to our workflow in the office. One thing I wish ACT would do is send to 2 emails at once. When sending out an eblast, it pulls from the email field. If there is more than one email address followed by a semicolon, it won't send to both. It bounces back.

Very versatile

I have been using it non stop since the earliest versions - that should tell you that I am very satisfied with it.

Pros

I have been using ACT for over 25 years and have seen lots of versions. I like its flexibility and that I can put users into multiple groups, It would be impossible to design a program that did everything everybody wanted it to but ACT comes close. I use it for sales, marketing, personal groups I coordinate, keeping track of some of my customers' customers. It can interact with Outlook and Google's...

Cons

I wish it had more options for the ID/Status cells. The group function sort of does that but not like I need it to. Having 3, 4, 5 or more ID/Status cells would be very useful. Most of my clients fall into more than one category.

Customer relationship management in a neat little package!

Act has become a valuable database of information for our teams, storing all manner of customer and company information that we can utilise for various means. It is a valuable asset for us and will no doubt continue to be in the future.

Pros

There are multiple benefits to using Act as reported by our users. The Act database allows for a large quantity of information to be stored, meaning we were able to decommission several other systems holding various bits of customer data by merging it into Act. We have found pricing to be competitive on a per-licence basis which suits us as a small team working within a non-profit organisation. Act...

Cons

We have found it somewhat difficult to integrate Act with our current systems and have resorted to manually exporting CSVs with information to import into our systems. This is a legacy process and may have been improved upon however, we haven’t looked into this. We have also had to purchase add-ins to enable certain features such as opportunities tracking, but Act plays well with these add-ons, so this is not too much of an issue for us. From an admin’s perspective, it has proven difficult to set up an automatic installation that works with our MDT deployments, but we roll out images with Act on rarely, so this isn’t too much of an issue. Perhaps in future, updates could be made to the UI to make it look a little less dated and bring it up to clean, modern, standards.

Act! is a flexible tool to track data the way you want to see it.

Act allows us to manage a vast database of over 85,000 contacts and 15,000 companies, as well as over 100,000 Table records between the two, with ease. Any information we need to find or update with these records is as easy as it gets, and makes our customer service team's jobs a relative breeze. There are hiccups here and there, especially with newer features to the program, but there's never been any issues that interrupt work or cause data loss, and the tech support available is very handy at resolving any issues we might have.

Pros

Everything in a Contact or Company record's layout can be customized, moved around, hidden on a per-user basis, and otherwise manipulated however your organization needs it to be. My company makes heavy use of this feature, having multiple team-based layouts that present the most important data to those teams prominently. We also greatly enjoy the software's ability to perform advanced queries on the data that can be saved and re-run with a single click to provide accurate reports and drill down to specific needs in moments.

Cons

There are quite a few features that feel incomplete or at least not fully integrated. For example, the software comes with the ability to create and Mail Merge templated emails that imports information like a contact's name, and the Smart Tasks feature allows you to automatically perform certain tasks including sending an email to a contact, yet for some reason you can't do both - that is, you can't set a Smart Task to perform a Mail Merge to a templated email and send the result, meaning that the automated emails cannot contain information personal to the contact such as their name.

Value of using Act

See What I liked most.

Pros

Started using Act about 25 years ago. Have added contacts since and used most of the features. Over time the use of certain features such as mass mailings to customer lists have faded, and now occasionally by e-mail. Over time I have come to value how I can locate someone that was a customer years ago, and have a complete record of a transaction, conversation or specific subject we were involved...

Cons

Many features that I never use, but see how others would. Don't like having to use MS Outlook for e-mail. Would like to access completely by phone, but my database is too big.

How act is helping me working at 74 as a sales man

I have been using ACT's since 1999 and this year I turned 74 and I'm still selling with the very best of them. I sell power supplies to industry and without ACT there is no way I could compete in the world of sales today without ACT, I put everything and anything that helps me sell more in a very competitive field including emails, quotes, power supply spec, and notes. I see so many people who will...

Pros

Without ACT I could not compete as well as I do in the sales world for it is changing every day. I need ACT to help track my customers my orders my RFQ's and so many other things without it I wouldn't have a job today. I see so many salespeople who won't invest in ACT who sales numbers could be so much better I tell them about ACT but they don't seem to want to invest in their future and their future sales that could be so much better.

Cons

I cannot find one thing wrong with ACT I have been using it approximately 20 years and never had a problem I cannot say this about other database programs I have had to use when I worked for other companies. Some of them were super complicated took hours of work just to get your data in whereas using ACT it was a breeze putting data in and saving data of all kinds.

I may be prejudiced but I love this product

I have used Act personally and for my business almost since its inception. Full disclosure: I have written 7 books on the product as well as the training videos for lynda.com/LinkedIn. I also do consulting work for several other CRM products and wrote a book on SugarCRM. For the money, you can't beat Act. Act has all the power of the "bigger" players without the expensive price point. As newer features...

Pros

Perfect fit for mid-sized businesses. Great price point. Only truly hybrid solution that allows you to use Act both on your desktop and in a hosted environment.

Cons

ACT is a great software product that allows you to integrate your database and track your clients

ACT is worth the price and worth the training to get educated on it. Unfortunately you need to spend some time figuring out the details, but once you do, it is off to the races and you will love the system every day. It really is a great product.

Pros

This product allows you to integrate the basic and most complicated processes within your business. I love the email link feature, any time I send an email to a client (who has their email in their account profile), the system automatically saves that email in the client profile. You don't have to search for it in your inbox, or click an extra button to push the details over to the profile, it all happens automatically. The icing on the cake, is now that it is in the client profile, other members of my team can see what emails I have communicated to client, and when they were sent. It helps to keep my team all on the same page. This is by far the best Client Database system I have ever used. AMAZING!

Cons

The biggest downside to ACT is there is not a built in funnel email system. You have to select the group or type of clients that you want to email, export that to another database and then send the communications from there. The system will still tag your emails as long as they are sent from your domain, but having to export the list an use an additional software or service to send the mass email notifications is a little frustrating. If they can fix this option, it would make my life a lot easier.

e-marketing, marketing automation

I would pay twice if I will be able to go to previous abilities that ACT has

Pros

Act itself is as a good database software. Compering to previous version synchronized with Swift Page it has a better platform to create a template. There are other things you improve but for our small company we do not use them (like several times of sending same e-mail to one customer)

Cons

In Marketing Automation: - you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template - you can not send an e-mail from the template to one person (only to the group) - you can not sent an e-mail to lookup (every time you must create the group from lookup) - may e-mails is getting lost (in our 2 campaigns about 20% e-mails were not delivered) In e-marketing - you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template ****** In your previous version of ACT I was able to add fields from my database SAVE them in the template and send them to lookup without a need to create the group. ****** And your customer service ??? I believe you can do better work. For example - I wrote an e-mail to you about month ago - with totally no answers from you.

Andrew, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the new Act! Marketing Automation. Please email me at mbowers@swiftpage.com and I will escalate your issue. Thanks again.

ACT functionality in 2019

Functional software for contact and opportunity management that has been in use for over 20 years with a consistent interface. All contact management software requires a learning curve to effectively use the software. My consulting clients do not use the marketing component of ACT, so those features have not been evaluated as of yet. ACT has gone through a number of owners, and the current owners seem to be putting in the effort to keep pace with Microsoft Outlook. Quickbooks integration could still be better though, but cooridnating with third party vendors will always be a challenge.

Pros

Consistent interface through the years, reliable functionality and easy to resolve simple issues. Even in a small business, hosting the database on a consumer grade PC and operating system still provides a functional and fast connection. The ability to create an offline database that can then be synced with the master database is very useful for laptop users. Finally in ACT 2018/2019, the interface between Outlook 365 (aka Outlook 2016) and ACT! is finally more reliable.

Cons

The time it takes to create a large offline database seems way to slow. Some troubleshooting issues require support from ACT!. I strongly recommend a support plan with ACT!

ACT! 19 much better than 18

Have been an ACT user for over a decade. Works well, but syncing with Outlook and Gmail has been rough. Version 19 is much better, but still needs some work. It would be nice if ACT provided tech support for the first 90 days without paying all the time. Also would like to see contact photos added as it is in Outlook.

Pros

Organization and logic

Cons

Syncing with Outlook and Gmail can be difficult.

Hi Fred, Thanks for your review! Did you know it is possible to add a photo to an Act! contact? You can edit your contact layout to include a picture field. Once this has been added, you can display any photo you like within the field. Regarding the Outlook email history attachments, there is an icon that looks like an envelope with a red X which will display in your taskbar if there are some...

Solid and Reliable CRM Product

I've used ACT! in one form or another for over 15 years now, between several different companies, starting from when they were owned by Sage. ACT! has always been a solid, well-designed and well-performing product that puts managing customer's contact information, records and sales first and foremost. While some platforms have broadened their reach, ACT! has always stayed true to what they do well, which is manage clients and sales opportunities, which is what really makes sales.

Pros

ACT has been around for a long time, as has Swiftpage who aquired them. The software itself has continued to evolve and improve, but hasn't lost the overall feel it has always had. What I like the most is that they have cloud AND desktop platforms for those that might not need cloud services. They also have a large number of plans available, are affordable, and there are a good number of independent technicians out there that can help you with your data, and design third party add-ons too.

Cons

The recent change that does not let owners of much older versions of the software activate what they already own has me concerned.

Best featured and Best value CRM for Small business

Firstly, I'm an Act! Certified Consultant and I sell and provide services around Act! and have done so since 2001. Although I'm not a client, I have continually had to make an assessment about whether Act! is the right product for our prospective and existing clients. My personal experience is that there is no single software product that is suitable for every business. If you are a big enterprise,...

"Get Your Act Together"

I am keeping my Insurance and Retirement Planning business running with it and I believe I first started using ACT in 1994. The basic functions that I use it for are easy to learn and use. I sure wish I would have had the chance to take courses on ACT, Excel, etc... while in college but when I graduated in 1979 there were no such things.

Pros

What's not to love? It keeps my contacts names, numbers, addresses, emails, etc... sorted. I can mark/tag them for different groups, find them, note them, write them, sort them... I can schedule me calls, meetings, to-do's with alarms to remind me. I LOVE MY ACT!

Cons

The only reason for the 4 stars is because this software will do so much and I being age 60 and not growing up with computers all thru school... I am probably not doing one tenth of what I could be doing with ACT and yet it is still a LIFESAVER! Without ACT, I would NEVER be able to keep my "ACT" together... lol. It makes me feel a little incompetent knowing there is SO MUCH MORE it could do for me if I knew how to do it.

Product Great but Tech Support Stinks

I've been using Act! since the early 1990s, in three different industries. For the first industry, it increased my close ratio of willing qualified buyers from around 80% to over 95%. In the second and third industries that metric was not easily measurable because of long relationship lead times, but it dramatically assisted efficiency.

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility of design, reports, ability to track relationships across multiple contacts, and mass mailing abilities

Cons

Seems a little unstable at times for some features, and tech support is a game of Russian Roulette with perhaps one person in 10 who can troubleshoot a problem and fix it. The rest seem to be untrained, seem to have no analytical skills or trouble shooting abilities, seem to be reading off knowledge base scripts, and often make or recommend changes that end up making matters even worse. The product is WONDERFUL when it works properly, which is most of the time. But lookout for 2-7 days of downtime if you hit that problem that is too much for the low level tech support people.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.