CosmoLex Reviews

4.74/5 (152 reviews)

Ana Gregory

Cosmolex Review

Reviewed 2016-07-18

I became a Cosmolex customer after being a customer of another practice management system and a customer of a widely known accounting software. My law practice incorporates general practice areas ranging from real estate/title agency, personal injury, litigation, family law, to probate and estate planning. With a variety of practice areas such as my firm, the challenges of practice management are complex because each area of the law has its own set of individual policies and procedures. The program I was using didn't capture my time spent on cases, nor created a detailed bill for my clients' review that completely captured all of the work my staff and I performed on their case. Cosmolex produces an invoice for the client that justifies my legal fee, which is essential to client satisfaction, and critical for ethical compliance purposes for cases that are accepted on a retainer or hourly basis. Not only do I earn more money because I'm able to quickly track time and expenses, but I also deliver a better product. Less time is spent telling my client what I did on their case but instead, allows me to focus on the particular legal matter the client hired me to solve. Further, the biggest hurdle to launching a successful law firm (I've only had my own law firm for seven months), is bookkeeping, and I have an in-house, nearly full-time bookkeeper which is also an accountant and is even qualified as an expert in a common accounting software system. However, with all of that knowledge and expertise, so much of my time was spent on accounting, and now it's spent on practicing law and a deeper concentration on my cases. This was not and could not have been possible with other accounting software systems on the market. Trust me, I tried them, and they only created problems. The other systems in the market (even those that are tailored for law firms) simply make the law firm work for the system, and not the system work for the law firm. Cosmolex is comprehensive. It takes care of the daily task delegation, case progress, and time tracking, accounting, employee performance, and reports. My experience has been an eye-opening one. My experience is mostly a relief because without Cosmolex I would still be living in the dark-ages of unproductivity and frustration. Ease of use, the simplicity of timecards, layout/design, price, functionality across multiple practice areas, ethical compliance considerations, cyber security protection, and mobility.

Michele Benkiran

Overall Review of Product- Our THoughts

Reviewed 2017-03-26

Pros: One program for almost everything. Cons: No document assembly; you can only link one person to the client portal; glitches in program- the program emailed an invoice to the wrong person; can not email through program; glitch- I had to give access to everyone for everything because the limited access features did not work; customer service is not the best; calandar portion has glitches when it interfaces with gmail and office 365.It is a comprehensive software. Its like having Quickbooks and a practice management program in one. This is the best feature.

Lynda Weeden

The staff is really helpful and friendly.

Reviewed 2017-07-12

Three software packages for billing, client accounting and back-end was TOO MUCH!Everything was in one place. I didn't have to generate bills in one package, enter them in another for tracking income, and then pay them in two places as well. It is also great to be able to write a cost check in a case and have the expense "attached" to the client's accounting file/bill in a seamless matter with just an additional click or two. We were promised an easy migration with all the support we needed, and that is what the team at Cosmolex delivered! Our accountant was also able to access the system for his end of the year work and add all of his journal entires and such and close out the books quickly and easily. The ability for us to generate P&L reports and other important accounting documents literally on demand is also pretty awesome. But the best part about Cosmolex, by far, is their incredible support team. They have never been stumped, and I've done my best to do just that! Every time I have a question, I get a prompt and complete answer, generally by phone, from one of their support staff who know me and my firm on a first-name basis. I don't think I could be nearly as effective in a dual-role position without this software!

Marc Cumbo

This is a time and money saver for any firm.

Reviewed 2017-08-09

I was looking for a complete solution to my practice management and accounting needs.I tried various other platforms including PCLaw and Clio, but they lacked in usability or functionality compared to CosmoLex. PCLaw is outdated, slow and not cloud based, while Clio lacks firm accounting functionality and though they advertise quickbooks syncing, there are major issues with the syncing that requires a great deal of work by the end user. CosmoLex is able to do virtually everything Clio can do with respect to practice management and even has a few unique features. However, where CosmoLex really shines is with its built in accounting system. As a Canadian Lawyer we require certain functionality that our American counterparts do not and CosmoLex has done a great job of meeting our needs. CosmoLex can properly deal with our HST/GST/PST issues and payments as well as offer us accrual based accounting as we are required to use by law. There is NO other cloud based platform with an all-in-one solution for Canadian Lawyers. This is a time and money saver for any firm.

Laura Oldenburg

It is easy to get around the program

Reviewed 2017-07-07

I like that it is easy to get around the program and many things are self-explanatory. I also appreciate the tutorials that are available.

Sarah Vingoe

They are always innovating

Reviewed 2017-10-09

I wanted something that combined both the accounting and matter management in one place. What I like the most is the Customer Support. If I'm having a problem with taking a payment from a client, I can get on the phone and have them resolve the issue without delaying the client. I also like that they constantly ask us what other new functions we'd like to see. They are always innovating, and don't "drop" you once they've got your payment.

Alyssa Lindburg

Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients...

Reviewed 2017-10-26

Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients down from 2-3 days to 2-3 hours.The ability to add charges on the go is a huge plus for the attorney. He can bill his time while in court.

Christine Freeman

Easy and Complete Legal Accounting Software.

Reviewed 2018-10-10

I am collecting fees and costs more easily and without having to see the client or talk to them on the phone. They can pay directly through their invoice or reminder emails sent by the program. Same for the trust retainer. Links are easily sent to clients to deposit directly to trust. The program makes the accounting entries for you on in the general ledger and the bank accounts.It does both front and back office capabilities. It is easy to access everything about a client. All time, billing and any other information needing to be entered is in one software application. No need to have Quick Books and some other legal software. Invoicing is easy to facilitate and clients can pay through links on the invoices. This program interacts with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Google, LawPay and many others.

Rebekah Roper

Made specifically for law firms - cool!

Reviewed 2017-01-25

For many years our firm used a number of different back office software products. For example, we used Easy Trust for trust accounting, Quick Books for financial accounting and payroll, and Timeslips for time and billing. These are all products that run on individual computers. About 3 years ago, the company that produced EasyTrust quit supporting that product. For the last 3 years we have basically been on our own regarding trust accounting. It has worked out okay to date, but at some point we knew that we would encounter an operating system problem or something and we would have had a substantial problem and the program would've stopped working and we would've had no support or help.When we started looking for new trust accounting software, we saw that your product was made specifically for law firms - cool! It also combined trust accounting, financial accounting, time and billing, which was the most appealing aspect. But the fact that Cosmolex is cloud-based, cinched it for us. Because our office manager (who oversees and reconciles the trust accounting -- that is, the software is on her computer) telecommutes from her house. So every time I needed to enter credit card payments, Trust deposits, write checks, etc., I had to drive 3 miles to her house. So being able to do a lot of that work from the office, has been wonderful.

William Mack

Excellent Law Practice Management App

Reviewed 2016-08-01

have been using Cosmolex since its introduction and am very happy with the application. I started using the software just for trust accounting, but found its easy-to-navigate interface so easy to use that I started keeping time and expenses and using the billing function as well. Then Cosmolex added full back-end accounting functionality and I ditched my QuickBooks app altogether. Cosmolex continues to add functionality and compatibility. It's a great app for managing your law practice.Easy-to-use interface Accurate trust accounting Broadening functionality Complete integration of functions Growing compatibility with other class-leading applications

Pierce Adkins

This App is Geared More Towards Transactional Law Practices

Reviewed 2018-07-23

Cosmolex is easy to use and to implement. Initially, Customer Support was great, but now not so much. Customer support is still better than any other legal accounting product I have used from Lexis or Westlaw, even Clio. The company is generally pretty good about responding to its customers inquiries; but, you typically have to wait about 4 to 6 hours or the next day or two for a technical support person to call you back and sometimes they don't. The billing features are great for a small transactional law practice or family law practice, but not so much for a firm that handles heavy amounts of civil litigation for commercial clients, which requires reporting and data feed back. Trust accounting on Cosmolex is fantastic and allows for contingency fees in PI cases. Overall, its ease of use and simple interface is why we continue to use it. Compared to most legal accounting and billing software, training employees is easy and they offer tons of opportunities to attend free webinar classes and are great at assisting you in getting your employees up and running. Altogether, it is not bad if you have other software or services to cover document and case management, but is expensive considering its deficiencies in this area.

Morgan Strow

Billing is great! Case management, not so much.

Reviewed 2016-07-07

We are a two attorney firm with one paralegal. We chose Cosmolex for the trust accounting feature. We were looking for a program that could do it all - keep the books and manage the cases. I love the billing and trust accounting features. Cosmolex really shines with maintaining the operating and trust accounts separately as well as generating invoices for our billable work.

Pete Weinman

I can't imagine practicing law without this essential tool.

Reviewed 2015-03-24
Review Source: Software Advice

My practice is focused primarily on residential real estate in NY and NJ and I represent a lot of lenders, so I have been relying upon Easy Soft’s hud-1 program and their billing/trust accounting program for years, so when I learned about everything CosmoLex had to offer, I was excited to jump in. What really separates CosmoLex from the others is that it’s completely cloud based and also offers a full IOLA/IOLTA accounting system. I’m able to login from the office, from home, and even on the road from my smart phone to add billable events, log and print checks, or search for anything I need. Because I’m a sole practitioner, I don’t have an IT department to help me install/upgrade my programs and the people at CosmoLex actually converted my existing data and had me up and running in about 15 minutes. Knowing that my data (and the programs) are off-site means less to worry about if and when a computer at my office should fail - and not having to worry about re-installing and restoring data (just knowing that it’s always safe and ready to access) makes sleeping at night a little easier. The controls are intuitively setup and searching for matters by client or other keyword or searching transactions by dollar amount, etc., could not be easier. I’ve already watched some of their online tutorials and when those did not help me understand something, I contacted tech support for personalized support and training that did the trick every time!

Jeanne Woodard

CosmoLex was the only one I found that had accounting built in

Reviewed 2017-06-02

Our former practice management software was outdated and no longer supported by the developer. We were looking for something that would allow us the features we were used to in our personal technologies, such as cloud based storage and usability on multiple platforms, not just desktop PC as our old software required. We've been more than impressed with the bells and whistles, many of which we realize are features we now can't live without!Built in accounting was the biggest deal breaker for our choosing CosmoLex. As the bookkeeper, fed up with our clunky old software, I was looking for a new system that would be a modern and practical take on practice management and CosmoLex was the only one I found that had accounting built in. Being cloud based allows us to bill time or check in when out of the office and though we had looked at another program that was cloud based, CosmoLex offered greater flexibility and it looks great, to boot.

Robert Roseman

The ideal system for my purposes

Reviewed 2017-07-19

Cosmolex is a web based system that gives me full flexibility of where I work and on what device I access my data. Moreover, the fact that Cosmolex is a fully integrated billing, accounting and trust accounting system makes it the ideal system form my purposes

Brenda DeChick

CosmoLex is an easy program once you get going

Reviewed 2016-11-01

Our peachtree program, timeslips program, and trust account (old CosmoLex desktop version) were all becoming unsupported, and/or being phased out. We did not use peachtree to its full capacity, timeslips program very slow, and not easy to work with.After researching we were ready to go with an all in one program for the law firm. Cosmolex is an easy program once you get going. Fast and friendly customer support. Willing to take suggestions on how to improve program. There is more accuracy in the fact that advancements won't be missed when clients pay.

Alex Burton-Vulovic

I found the user interface modern, straightforward, and easy to learn.

Reviewed 2018-11-27

I came to Cosmolex because I was invited to a meet-and-greet with the CEO. He was great and really seemed passionate about the product, and that inspires passion in others. I saw him interact with other users and take into account their feedback and the changes they wanted to make to the product. When I tried it out for myself, I found that passion reflected in everyone else I talked to at the company and that's a great thing. It means that support really wants to help you, instead of just get rid of you. CosmoLex is a product that's updated regularly and that seems to really take into account what their users want to see, and that's perfect for me.I found the user interface modern, straightforward, and easy to learn. It was also cloud-based, which is a plus, and I found support very helpful.

Karen Miller

I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks

Reviewed 2017-06-14

I decided to hang up my own shingle, so I needed software to handle the management of my office, especially since it was going to be just me by myself to start out.I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks to handle the money management aspect. Nothing against Quickbooks, but I don't have experience using it, and being a solo practitioner and needing to maximize the time I have, I appreciated not having to learn Quickbooks. I also think the interface is user-friendly, and I love how everything can be tied back to a matter. I also really like how my bank accounts are linked with CosmoLex, so reconciliation is easy to complete, and I also appreciate how the software works with Casemaker for tracking research for a specific matter. The best thing about CosmoLex, however, is the customer support. Not only are there humans available to help whenever I need assistance, but CosmoLex also provides a fantastic library of videos and FAQs, as well as weekly live training sessions. I don't ever worry that I'll be stuck without any help...they are always quick to respond to any issue I encounter.

Christopher Cooper

We are very pleased with the overall experience

Reviewed 2018-11-29

We are very pleased with the overall experience and moreso that CL has certified vendors that understand the software. This is how we found our current bookkeepers.Bank Feeds make the consolidation between billing and accounting easy and we don't have to purchase two pieces of software.

William Lowe

Reviewed 2017-06-12

I like the integration between the accounting and billing, something that was lacking with the program at my prior firm. I also find it very easy to bill time and generate invoices. I looked at a variety of programs when I opened my own practice and CosmoLex seemed to be the most user friendly.It was less expensive than other programs I looked at while still having all of the features I need. I like the fact that it is cloud based which allows me to access it from anywhere. I live 20 miles from my office and can do my accounting work from home of an evening rather than take away from billiable time to do so or drive back to the office after hours. The training videos are great.

Susan Fentress

I started my own firm...and had to implement an accounting system.

Reviewed 2017-10-25

I started my own firm in January and had to implement an accounting system.I am happy with the customer support. They call me back ASAP and fix the issues. The invoices can be customized as so many of the clients have very specific billing requirements.

Graig Corveleyn

I like the ease of functionality the best.

Reviewed 2018-11-26

I have been using Cosmolex for about three and a half years. I was an early adopter and I really like it. I probably don't use as many of the functions as I should but what I do use, I really like. I have recommended it to people in the past and will continue to do so. I like the ease of functionality the best.

Ronald Felder

Reviewed 2015-07-01

After years of searching, I have found the tool that has taken my company to the next level. That Tool is Cosmolex. This Streamline program has not only saved my company thousands of dollars in the first few months of use, but it has also driven by profits rapidly with ease. Cosmolex has given me a peace of mind and the ability to work on the go with ease. With a world class product, and dedicated, impeccable, and expedient customer service Cosmolex is now one of the Associates in Felder & Associates Investigations. As the owner of Felder & Associates Investigations I would like to personally and publicly thank the following staff members of Cosmolex. Teresa Kolbinskie has been a great leading support in my interactions with Cosmolex. In the beginning I was skeptical about moving to a cloud base product for my company but after several phone call full of questions from me and my staff and no knowledge of this or any other program except Microsoft Word and Quickbooks Pro, I was set in my ways, not to move forward. During the trial period of Cosmolex, Teresa has been not only well versed and educated about the program but very patient, responsive, and courteous to me and my staff. I tried hundreds of programs for my private investigation firm and not one company has decided to integrate their product to fit and work with my company. Although many companies have customer service Reps. hands down Teresa Kolbinskie, Fonda Harris and Terrance Morgan are impeccable, hardworking, and dedicated when it comes to the growth, success and peace of mind of small companies like mine.

Jeffrey Feldman

CosmoLex is central to the daily business of my solo law firm.

Reviewed 2018-12-11

It's economical, practical, integrates well with other software and financial products, and is easy to use. I've recommended it to other lawyers that are looking to go out on their own. Why pay for multiple software licenses and learn multiple platforms when CosmoLex does it all, from anywhere, for less?Single solution, cloud based, eliminates the need for separate software licenses, LawPay credit card processing integration, OneDrive integration, ease of use, Android app

Colin Sullivan

Currently the only viable option for the Canadian marketplace

Reviewed 2017-11-14

As a new solo lawyer I was looking for Canadian options other than PC Law. Cosmolex fit that bill.The ability to deal with practice management on the go through my smartphone. Cosmolex is currently the only viable option for the Canadian marketplace without having to use cumbersome workarounds and fixes to integrate with Accounting software and it hasn't disappointed. The support has also been very responsive in the switch over process and the team seems to be responsive to new suggestions.