All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Twilio

Voice and messaging for your web and mobile applications

visit website

Twilio Reviews

Peter C.

Read the full review
Their customer service is amazing and they are one of the leaders in the industry. They also hold a bunch of useful features for their customers to utilize.

Svetla M.

Read the full review
Sometimes it takes a long time for a message to drop on the receiver's device or may not drop at all. Their charges are quite expensive compared to some of their competitors.

Joseph M.

Read the full review
Poor customer service made me a write a bad review.

John D. K.

It gets it done

Transcript

Rick L.: Hi, I'm Rick. I own an event company and I would give Twilio a five out of five. Before we launched...

Great product for the tech savvy

Transcript

Ryan H.: Hi, I'm Ryan. I'm the director of marketing in a marketing company, and I give Twilio a four...

The "magical" DIY (Do It Yourself) communication system

After 2 years using Twilio services, mainly phone and messages, I can say I am so happy I found this solution to handle my communications. It is so flexible, Although it has been a little bit complicated sometimes to self-learn about online phoning systems it saved me from a lot of hassles I wanted to avoid. The best benefit you get is the ultra efficient support service

Pros

With Twilio you can start from scratch to build your own online communication system. I didn't know so much about VOIP before and it is true I had to learn a few things. So far I have been able to use my Twilio french mobile number fully online even whenI need to travel abroad - with all mobile services you can expect (voice, SMS, MMS). The pricing is light and the global user interface makes the whole systme pretty easy to manage. I only use a few features from the platform but the possibilities are huge ! And they are always working on new services. And as Twilio is now really recognized as a communication company you can find additional software apps very easily and even documentation, I am thinking of the softphone app I am using on my mobile or desktop for instance.

Cons

I could customize a personal solution because I had time to test different options and as a developer I could code stuffs if needed. I am not sure everybody can do the same without technical skills.

Twilio also has a couple of secret super powers!

An amazingly well built product -- we rarely if ever had reliability issues -- the Twilio Functions were an especially useful post-purchase feature discovery -- so much so that we still use that even though we don't do any texting. We also sometimes use FracTEL, since they beat Twilio on pricing 3:1 for 1-800 texts *and* had MMS 1-800 support long before Twilio.

Pros

* super easy to configure multiple accounts for billing purposes * * Twimlets are a great way to experiment with product &/or prototype quickly - https://www.twilio.com/labs/twimlets * Twilio functions is amazingly easy way to either extend power of tools such as Zapier &/or avoid having to use AWS Lambda, etc. -- it's a super cool hidden feature - https://www.twilio.com/docs/runtime/functions * They have an auto-stop feature if you accidentally send too fast -- e.g., we accidentally created an infinite loop of texts between two phone numbers -- which they auto-stopped at about $20 (in three minutes). There are likely other Twilio features hiding in plain sight -- poke around -- one of those rare cases where reading all the documentation is likely worth it

Cons

* the login process can be annoying * help sometime takes longer than 24 hours * configuring multiple sub-accounts is confusing at first * not all functions can be done via UX -- some require API calls -- curl scripts were our goto

Great for messaging and telephony

I absolutely love using Twilio, have had zero issues in using the SIP and text messaging on the platform.

Pros

I like the pay as you use service model. I use Twilio for SIP trunks and the cost savings that I have achieved are simply phenomenal. Part of the reason is the SIP trunks, those are cheaper than POTS lines, but the other factor is the pay as you use, unless you are using thousands of minutes a month, the pay as you go model is the way to go!

Cons

If there are errors with connecting to your infrastructure, it's not always apparent (right away) what the problem is.

Tyranny of the 2FA gods!

Authy by Twilio is a run-of-the-mill 2FA app. There's nothing special about it. It works when you're not switching your hardware.

Pros

Cons

Customer Support is only available by email, not by phone, and it takes 1-3 days to hear back from them. I was in the process of integrating their OneTouch functionality into a software program I'm designing, and I finally found out why no one else integrates it. It's busted and when you go to click the "Accept" or "Reject" buttons, it gives you an error. Authy support said to reinstall my Authy app, and now I can't get back into the app until 2 days later because of their overbearing security. They refuse to get me out of the bind, and I'm unable to access any of my accounts until they lift the hold. I've learned my lesson and I'm going to use LastPass so they can't hold my accounts hostage anymore for their nefarious purposes.

Reliable text notifications for customers

We've had great experience with Twilio. Our users sign up for text notification and we use Twilio to deliver them information. That experience has been well-received by customers. There's more to Twilio than that but texting is what we use it for. The system barely ever goes down and always shows us accurate information of our usage.

Pros

Barrier to entry is so low; it's so easy to get started with Twilio. It took us one afternoon to test it and we were running production-grade systems the same week using Twilio. It's documentation is so good that we don't need to call into support for anything. Billing is clear and analytics is clear as well. We have enjoyed Twilio.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Twilio. I do feel that Twilio can create widgets for non-technical customers to sign up customers for text notification. We have development staff that understands Twilio well enough. I do see small mom-and-pop shop owners who'd love to keep customers informed of sales through text messaging. If Twilio advertised more or somehow helped such audience, that'll be really neat.

Easy to integrate with any platform

I was able to create a driver with LUA, and integrate SMS feature to Control4 Home Smart System. I wanted to receive messages every time certain events occurred, and Twilio is really accurate and helpful. I had to minimize the amount of messages so I could spend less money per month.

Pros

- It has an API Rest and a 5 minutes to implement rule, which is quite true. - They have a quick start for many platforms / languages. - SMS Feature was exactly what I needed, fast send/receive messages. - Besides having excellent docs, they have something called TwilioQuest, which I found really funny and entertaining.

Cons

- Price per SMS seems to be high, at least in my country. I guess it depends on what are you building, and the value you give to this feature.

Amazing text messaging automation for non-developers

Pros

I cannot thank Twilio enough for coming out with their product called Studio. I'm a digital marketer with limited developing skills in coding but I love using their API. I have always struggles to make sms chat bots and programmable voice systems until they introduced Studio. Even better yet, they give amazing tutorials on how to use it step-by-step. I highly recommend Twilio.

Cons

Very much a UI for developers and for people that are familiar with coding.

An easy to use sms sending tool, easy to integrate with other solutions

Easy to use sms sending solution that integrates well with many third party solutions, for a fair price. Sending of messages is pretty fast, there is log of messaging activity and overall this is a great tool to extend your marketing messaging.

Pros

Twilio is very easy to onboard. Have integrated it with 2 different tools which connected to Twilio and Twilio was sending sms based on data passed by those tools. I can say that account sign up was very easy, the interface was fairly quick to understand, the pricing of sms is fair and support was quick to respond. It does support sending sms for many countries.

Cons

When there is some error with the sms sending (due to integration issues or other), the errors are not very intuitive and may take some time to nail out the issue. But otherwise the tool has worked great.

An amazing communication api

We have been using Twilio for our Whatsapp integration, SMS, email (Sendgrid) and for creating phone numbers for our Customer support team.

Pros

The best thing about Twilio is that once you get used to their API you can solve all your communication problems using them. They have integrations and tools for everything that you could imagine.

Cons

I think that Twilio's API documentation could be improved. When you first start using them you can get lost in the documentation before understanding how it is setup.

Great Platform for sending automatic SMS

I'm quite satisfied using Twilio as a programmable SMS, before using Twilio I've been using local platform and the performance is not good.

Pros

Twilio is a reliable platform for the programmable message, the have other feature but I only use to send SMS.

Cons

information for the error is minimum, so we can't get more information why the sms is not delivered. also the price is quite high to send 1 SMS

Outstanding Platform for Businesses Using WhatsApp

Overall it has been positive so far. We are launching our software globally now and so far they have been a solid partner in the countries we have been going to.

Pros

We used Twilio to be the backbone of custom cross-platform messaging software we built that connects people in different countries around the globe. We used it to send automated messages alerting the users that someone in their area wants to talk to them and then to continue to facilitate the conversations through our software and the WhatsApp API protecting the user's identities. The API was very...

Cons

The only challenging issues we had really involved WhatsApp and getting them to verify our Facebook Business listing, then approve us for a WhatsApp number and finally approve our message templates so we could use Twilio to send messages through their platform. I wouldn't say any of that was Twilio's fault and their staff was excellent at doing everything they could to help us. The only thing I would like to see is a better more laid out navigation on their admin dashboards. You have to click into menus to get to a sub menu to then scroll around and try to find what you are looking for. It would be nice if they had a master link tree like Amazon does on their AWS dashboard.

So easy it almost seems too easy.

We use Twilio Programmable Voice for a number of different use-cases. It is used to create trackable phone numbers for ads, internal phone/sms systems for sales/support and also integrated directly with our marketing automation platform, Autopilot. All of this had a fairly steep learning curve for a non-developer, but taking the time to do the work through Twilio (rather than a 3rd party software built on top of Twilio) has saved us a large amount of money and preserved a great deal of operational flexibility by preventing unwanted layers in our broader communications stack.

Pros

Twilio programable voice lets you build localized internet phone systems using numbers from anywhere in the world. I don't know of another comparable solution that isn't just another interface built on-top of Twilio. More importantly, it lets you customize these phone systems in every way imaginable (from drag/drop coding in Studio to custom apps) in just a few clicks. In terms of cost and flexibility, it is the clear winner in this space.

Cons

The product is trying to become increasingly friendly to non-developers, but it is still really positioned as a developer-first platform. It is a true platform technology, which is the root of most of Twilio's benefits – but that does come at the cost of being intimidating/less user-friendly to non-developers.

Powerful Control of Marketing & Data Analytics For Text, SMS & Video Sending

Wonderful people, always replay within a few hours of my late-night support emails. Reducing the bills is fantastic, and the tool plugs and plays with everything else nicely. Super happy with them for sure!

Pros

Love their COSTS... Some of the lowest in the industry, gives better control of budget. Utilizing Twilio we were able to navigate away from other tools that were costing us hundreds of dollars a month in per minute or per text overage fees. Provides more numbers at a cheaper cost per month by far, the whole system is powerful, inclusive, integrative of all tools and solutions through zapier and webhooks, and just a powerful system.

Cons

The UXI is a little heavy, when creating sub accounts and viewing the analytics, it is so powerful you can get lost, but that is a very minimal issue for I am sure someone with more knowledge can fly through the site and know what they are looking for much faster.

Best Communications API for Voice and SMS

Overall, it's highly recommended that every startup or business should go with Twilio as their backbone communications layer. Recently they added more services like email through SendGrid, so it is really powerful.

Pros

Using Twilio services for programmable voice and SMS means that we do not have to build that infrastructure, and can build features on top of that at a quick speed. I like how reliable the services is, which is a major draw and value for money with the costs. At occasional times when there are issues, they are resolved speedily. The team is super friendly, and will always be there to help answer our problems. Otherwise, the API documentation is great and easy to implement.

Cons

It doesn't work or work so well in places like China though, which is understandable. The admin console is largely usable but can include for features for less tech savvy people, understandably, not really their audience.

Great for Triggered Text Message Notifications

Overall, very happy. Great value for the money. Would highly recommend.

Pros

We've been using this system to send text notifications to a distribution list when someone visits our website and completes a form to request information. We typically receive emails from clients who send 3-5 similar, if not identical emails to multiple tour operators. By dramatically decreasing our time to contact the potential client and answer questions via email or over the phone, we saw a marked increase in booking conversions. Using the Zapier integration between our Website form tool "Gravity Forms" and Twilio, we now can respond to online inquiries a matter of minutes, and secure a booking before our competitors can even open their email.

Cons

In the Zapier setup, it is a bit of hit and miss to get all the custom text to layout like you want in a single text message.

One of the best platforms for call/text integration

I have led teams that integrate Twilio as a text notification service for various events from medication adherence to support ticket alerts.

Pros

Twilio provides a very straightforward interface to programmatically integration calls and texts in to software applications. Configuration and set up is super easy, and Twilio provides a variety of options for regions and countries to set up your phone numbers for. They provide a number of SDKs in popular programming languages, making integration super easy.

Cons

The price point for calls and texts are a bit on the high side. Some of the more complex configurations might be a bit hard to set up, although their documentation IS quite thorough.

Always on the Go with Twilio!

Pros

Competitive rates in the market is being offered. We use this in the company as the main tool for SMS messaging platform tool for our devices so it's cheaper compared to the rates we would be paying if we are to use the services offered by regular major carriers. It also allows use via API so very convenient and easy to set up in the backend for operational use with different platforms.

Cons

Lately, there's an issue when viewing/searching for SMS transaction logs. When you search for the logs using phone number as a search tool, sometimes the results will not show up. I think it's a bug. Also when the sub menus were changed from the previous version, it got confusing. Navigating the menus on the site got more complicated compared to before.

Solid for Salesforce integration

generally speaking very happy we haven't had any significant issues with twilio and it's allowed us to accomplish our texting needs seamlessly in Salesforce.

Pros

Super easy for our team to use. We actually use a third party UI called Mogli. Twilio is the back end for our tool though.

Cons

It was a bit of a pain to set up a tool like this on an invoice basis instead of a charge as needed basis.

Awesome tool for sending sms and voice calling

Pros

Twilio enables the users on any platform to send sms and make voice calls internationally via its well documented APIs which can be integrated very quickly on the platform by the developers. The SMS can be sent reliably on any international or local phone number once the phone numbers are bought with the required services enabled on it. Twilio also provides phone number masking for making voice calls. All in all its really an awesome module to use in your product for availing all of the Twilio services.

Cons

Twilio should provide sms and voice calling as a testing feature on the trial account which can really help people to be more convinced about its awesome services.

Full featured easy to use

We've grown over time with Twilio to take advantage of more and more of their services. As we've done so they almost always have a solution for what we want to do. Additionally I do want to give their support two thumbs up - they've always been fantastic.

Pros

Twilio has made it extremely easy to use even without an extensive technical knowledge. Their documentation is outstanding and they've build a lot of UI based tools on their website to setup fairly complex workflows without having to code. Of course our engineers are able to use their APIs to take advantage of a huge amount of functionality as well.

Cons

There are some quirks to some of the areas of their products (sorting/searching doesn't work in some places, no ability to mass-refile errored messages, etc). These can generally be worked around but would make the overall experience better and more efficient.

Powerful yet complex

I was able to create a call center script using this service and it worked great. Customer support sucks. If I were to rate Customer Support: 2 stars. Documentation: 5

Pros

You can create almost anything with their voice prompts. Both inbound and outbound calls. From IVR to automated calls. You can host your scripts on their platform or your own server using the REST API.

Cons

Documentation is all over the place. There are two main ways to send commands. Twiml or API (your language like PHP or C#) but the documentation jumps back and forth. One step of a tutorial is in Twiml. Then the next thing you want to do is not. It uses the API. And trying to find the same documentation in the other language is hit or miss.

Service enhances functionality of host softwares

I have been very satisfied with my experience using twilio, stable software that enhances functionality to our software we created.

Pros

I love that twilio provides a texting feature which can be integrated with 3rd party software's to enhances there ability to better suit business needs. Twilio allows seamless integration which allows outgoing and incoming SMS messages to and from the client. Using the twilio portal we can check logs on which messages were sent and failed helping the host keep track on SMS activity of there software.

Cons

Setup and configuration is a bit of a tedious process however once completed, it works well. Sometimes servers go down for twilio which causes disruptions for our texting feature, however this can be expected for any software company that provides a large scale service.

Api is very easy to use

Overall use the api and setting up was a peace of cake, the subscription price and the option to create custom project for the client was great and watch how to use it thru a tutorial was not longer then 5 min, my client was conform with the integration of sending SMS and MMS to his customer and it did not required additional hardware.

Pros

You can either setup a new project with their own tool or just create your project on your own language programming of your preference, using the api is very easy and you can create the necessary tools to customize and ready to use for the end user, in my case I stored and encrypted withing the database, and explain the end user the price this company use and is not that expensive, it doesn't required additional hardware to use. only internet and is ready to go.

Cons

There limited Hispanic countries when I tried but I see the list is still expanding, for the moment my specific country was not yet available, so I have to use the USA number which the client was not that happy about it, but agree to use until our country was available.

Extremely easy to set up and get going!

The software was able to solve for a business requirement. Price point was reasonable. Performance is very good.

Pros

As a lead architect, I am always on the look out for stable, easy to integrate tools and services for our various Enterprise solutions. With Twilio, I was able to get a fully functioning Enterprise level SMS Notification Microservice up and running in under an hour. The ease of integration, it's simple API and documentation is what any developer would be happy with. The price point is also very reasonable and I would highly recommend this solution to anyone who is looking to evaluate or use this service.

Twilio Platform = Solid

Pros

Even though I am not a developer, even I can get Twilio services working. I have helped a few local businesses in my area drop the traditional POTS lines and migrate over to Twilio and have heard nothing but great reviews. That platform has even given me the push to sign up for a couple dev classes to get even more out of it.

Cons

Some of the documentation can be extremely vague. I understand that it is made for developers/programmers but there is a big portion of potential users that would love to use some of the features, but just don't have the coding background/knowledge to make it come alive.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.