Contentful Reviews

User ratings

4.4

• Likelihood to recommend8.24/10

See full reviews by rating

It has a good balance of cost and features. Their API is feature rich allowing us to extend Contentful and tightly integrate it with our systems.
Once I integrated contentful in my project, it was really easy to use and I think it's very useful and powerful.
There are aspects that are difficult, and sometimes hard to keep tabs on what is active and hard to back track if something does go wrong.
Frustrating, being treated like an imbecile with over simplified explanations of content types which still don't answer the question.

Contentful users...

Agility CMS-logocaret

Agility CMS

prismic.io-logocaret

prismic.io

How would you rate Contentful?

Robust and intuitive CMS platform

Pros

It has a simple user interface and a small learning curve. It provides a powerful open API integration that allows you to connect with any third party application. It makes it easy to configure our content workflow to fit today's needs. The tool also has editing options available for published content and preview of the changes made.

Cons

For new users navigating the pages is a bit tricky. It is necessary that they improve the pricing models and adapt them to the needs of the companies.

Feature rich, dense and mature but watch out for the hidden quirks!

Feature rich, dense and feels mature. Still, the "not so great bits" of Contentful ended up being deal breakers and made us switch to other options on the market.

Pros

For editors and copywriters the experience was intuitive enough. All I can recall are some complaints about the asset picker. For developers, I loved that there's a certification exam and a curriculum. https://www.contentful.com/help/contentful-certification/ I did the exam and that helped me structure our projects in a way that reduced development complexity – and by extension, development costs for our clients. Other developers in our company who also took it share the same feeling.

Cons

The limits on how many content types you can have on a space. https://www.contentful.com/developers/docs/technical-limits/ Unless you're running the enterprise plan, chances are your team will quickly run out of content types. This makes working with a "component" based approach painful. For instance, if you wish to port an existing design system on a 1:1 mapping and don't have the enterprise plan you'll quickly run out of components. This was the case for one of our projects and it meant the development team had to prioritise which content types were actually critical enough to create – this frustrated both developers and the content team.

Content with Contentful

Easy to use, great for the c&$

Pros

Easy to use, updates quickly when edited. The CTA flexibility was the best.

Cons

The child pages and drop down menu were all intertwined or bootstrapped to Ruby and Heroku so the ability to edit those areas was more difficult

Very inflexible when it comes to styling changes, use only if you have plenty of engineers

Pros

It is impossible for users to create elements that are totally out of line with the corporate design. Contentful also loads faster than many other CMS.

Cons

There isn't much I like about Contentful. It is impossible to copy entire pages without a lot of effort, which makes it very time-consuming to create new pages. While you can re-use existing elements, the problem is that if you change them, they are changed everywhere, and there is no way to just copy an element in order to use it as a new element (i.e., changes you make to it don't affect the element...

Excellent tool, quality service, and satisfied customers!

Contentful must provide a validated experience that is straightforward and consumer-friendly for all users, including those without any experience in website development. It doesn't necessitate any code. It enables several teams to work together on a single project. Contentful eliminates the need for newcomers to bother about maintaining and personalizing content. It's simple to use and adaptable. Using Contentful, duplicating pages has not been a problem. Think about how you intend to utilize Contentful in the longer run. If you have a team of people functioning on the CMS, the cost and functionalities might be limited.

Pros

It was convenient to get a free app. We greatly profited from moving to SaaS and headless after struggling with the operating expenses of Episerver (Optimizely DXP), which was highly costly to update and sustain owing to the PaaS service. In comparison to the WordPress option that I have used, Contentful's free edition is reasonably simple to utilize and extremely sturdy. The overall product is clean and elegant, as well as the learning curve was not too severe. It enables migrating website frameworks to a rather painless procedure.

Cons

In several areas, the UI appears to be tailored for coders rather than ordinary/generalist consumers and marketing personnel. For instance, that's not always feasible to see modifications as they would seem to the end customer, so I often have to rely on a feeling of what would look nice in the end. Yet none of these would deter me from adopting Contentful in the future.

An Excellent CMS

Overall I find it a delight to work with. Highly recommended.

Pros

I love all the following: the Infrastructure as Code that allows me to define my models through software, the SDK that allows me to load or update content via automation, the apps that allow webhook integrations such as with Gatsby, Netlify and Github. Finally, I love that it is a SaaS offering where data backups and DB upgrades are not my problem!

Cons

Thee free tier allows me to make two CMS systems. It would be nice if the free tier offered, say, up to five. The first paid for tier feels pricey if all I need was simply that third "not-free" CMS. It would be great if they had a "per CMS" paid tier that allowed a third, fourth, fifth CMS (etc.) at $3.95/month each...or something like that.

Contentful is useful and wonderful

I'd like to recommand contentful as it is easy to use, and easy to config store data for develop a project.

Pros

stable, friendly configuration, data structure is clear, and have api auto configuration

Cons

navigation is a little bit tricky, like when duplicate an entity, it lost the original entity's position, so have to go back and track the entity again

So long, WordPress! Welcome to the future of nimble web development!

The free developer plan is amazing, and overall Contentful has made my life SO MUCH BETTER. I no longer have to worry about updates, databases, or clients breaking their sites.

Pros

The UI of Contentful is superb in its own right, but especially when compared to other similar CMS interfaces. Everything is laid out neatly, and it's easy to sort and edit your content. When paired with a static site generator like Gatsby, Contentful is WAY more safe, dependable, and low-maintenance than WordPress (which I'm sad to say, after being a WP dev for years, is a complete mess).

Cons

Modeling content can be tricky at first, especially since you can't have differing fields within a content type. But once you understand the general concept of "referencing," it becomes quite easy and even enjoyable to structure nested and/or complex data.

All about Contentful

I like to recommend you to use Contentful, because it is user friendly, and more professional in developing your projects.

Pros

The user interface of Contentful is great in comparison to the other sites. The user interface is easy to use. It is very easy to locate content. Best API capabilities.

Cons

I'm really satisfied with Contentful, but the interface can be improved to the best.

Contentful Review by the client

i am pretty happy with the overall experience my company having with the tool

Pros

being it the Headless CMS has helped out a lot

Cons

we would still need the software developers

Enterprise website management platform for organization’s with lot of data

In the few years that we have been working with various CMSs, Contentful has been very successful and one of the safest and most well-designed decisions is being made for your organization. They are both safe and have a great status.

Pros

I like Single Sign-On for easy and secure access of team members, It is also a great platform when you’ve got a lot of content and data for your organization and need a professional platform for categorizing your data in the shortest time. GraphsQL is great, and at last, Contentful is user-friendly and easy to understand for newbies.

Cons

Because a team is working on a project in a short amount of time and maybe working two or three shifts to edit the content of several people, a more professional and secure log is needed to record all events in detail.

Contentful CMS is not only easy to learn and use but also easy to scale and maintain

Contentful is a very cost-effective content management tool if you're not planning to add tons of content. It's easy to scale but can be pricy.

Pros

I have worked with a number of different CMS platforms but I like Contentful for its ease of use and scalability. It can help you manage large amounts of data with minimal effort. It works great for static websites as well.

Cons

There's a fair bit of a learning curve, but benefits outweigh time investment. I'm not a fan of the pricing plans. The lowest tier is very affordable but other options are very expensive.

Contentful - Best CMS

Overall i can say best experience.I can highly recommend this to everyone.

Pros

I have used contentful from past 2.8 years and it is the best CMS.We can do content modelling easily as per the project requirement and add the data in the content is also easy.Any one can learn easily.There are localisation also which helps us to do multiple localisation project data entering insertion in one project space.Also we can provide the user roles as per the need.

Cons

One thing which i want to highlight is when we want to copy one space to another space the locales should be same than only we can clone the data.So this should be more user friendly as sometimes we cant change the locales if we have started working in some other locale and than want to copy the data from some other space.

Contentful is an agile 'CMS' and overall easy to work with

I can create a small site without bothering with a traditional CMS and allow the client to access important text copy and the same content could be repurposed for another platform, which is good to know for the future.

Pros

I should clarify that I am speaking from the perspective of a developer so I can't vouch for the experiences of a content contributor. As a developer, I really appreciate being pointed in the right direction with their Gatsby starter kit and Netlify. This has been a great intro into the trend of static react based sites and I love it so far. I will try to stay focused on Contentful though. As someone very familiar with the traditional LAMP stack CMS world, I appreciate that they try to keep CMS best practices and dispense with the countless technical issues plaguing the old school approach. I have only used it for a small site though, but I am psyched to try it out with a larger project to really use it to its best potential.

Cons

I was going to say that it is totally painless, but there are some adaptation pains involved. If, like me, you just jump right in with a Gatsby Starter Kit, you may do some newbie things here and there. But I never really got stuck or blocked, and always learned when going back to improve something. Like I said, I haven't dug deep enough to have had a real issue. The worst negative could be that there are some cross sale situations where you may feel obliged to purchase a plugin to work with your content. I don't know if I can really fault a business on this though. Depending on your dev skills, you can always figure out a way to get your Contentful content to work without necessarily buying a shortcut from a third party.

The best option for a headless CMS

Pros

It is truly cloud-first for a headless approach. You can build your content model and control your input with easy validation (min/max/regex) and even dependencies on other models. It is truly headless and integration with node, react, asp.net, and php have all been relatively easy. Node was definitely the easiest integration.

Cons

I would have said migration between environments, but they recently released a solution for that. I haven't verified it but I'm excited about it. I think the other thing is dealing with deleted fields, it makes it a bit challenging that you have to remove it from view and then delete it to make sure it won't break the existing model. I also get frustrated when I make an existing field that is required and there is no notification that the content doesn't match the new criteria.

Interesting content management platform

I work with a team of translators in many different languages, and we are often required to update sections or paragraphs of different articles we wrote previously. We've started to use Contentful in the beginning of this year and it showed really useful with regard to this matter.

Pros

Contentful comes really handy when you need to edit portions or paragraphs in your website. Besides, it supports a wide array of languages, which is a big plus when working with a multilingual team.

Cons

The full website is managed through Contentful, which means a lot of different pages and content listed, and at times it can get confusing retrieving a page or even a paragraph you are looking for.

Easy to implement and powerful tool to manage content.

Little training for the team to get running. Easy adding any media. Love the ability of customizing modules.

Pros

Was very easy to implement and adapt to our workflow. Enables our team to work more efficiently and easily suited to our custom workflow. Very flexible tool when creating and managing content models. Easy to set up editorial workflows and a lot of helpful documentations how to do that. Love the design.

Cons

All good so far with the performance of the tool.

Taken a load off our team

We switched to Contentful as a way of consolidating our CMS from three to one. Development is currently ongoing, but I am over the moon with how effective it has been for us to work with Contentful. We're planning a significant relaunch of our product later this year with all curated experiences powered by Contentful.

Pros

The ability to flexibly model content according to what our output needs are, rather than being constrained by a pre-defined model. The ease of adding translations. The customer service we have received.

Cons

Only that the way that the pages are represented could be a little more visual when relating elements together. But it's a very minor thing.

CMS Contender

Compared to other CMS platforms out there, this one isn't a bad option to have.

Pros

If properly set up, it's easy to find and navigate sections and areas of your site you'd like to edit.

Cons

You can get lost if you don't know what you're doing.

CMS solution that lets you publish content simply and easily

Pros

Contentful is a content management system solution which has a great API focus and allows us to develop our own data relationships and data structure. It provides us complete flexibility within projects and gives us the capacity to distribute to different types of platforms with less hassle. The user interface is straightforward and really simplifies the process for our backend system.

Cons

When used in Firefox browser, there are some occasional glitches. However, it works perfectly well in Chrome and Safari, so it’s not really a big problem. When I contacted support, they reviewed and tested it but they said it might just be a plugin issue.

Easy To Use But Limited

Overall easy but I’d recommend a Webflow or Wordpress as a more elegant toral solution for content management.

Pros

I use Contentful to manage content for our website. Editing text and starting new templates is intuitive. Uploading images is easy. In fact, I learned HTML coding through add and editing Staff bios. Publishing and editing content is also easy although it’s not clear why un-publishing still requires you to delete content from categories/buckets even though the content isn’t live.

Cons

The things I like least are the tools that I didn’t know exist. I didn’t know there were collaboration tools and I think image editing is limited. The UX on the platform itself is not good and features are buried.

Great for developers, great for non-developers

Pros

I love the ability to completely customize the content types so that the editors are only able to edit exactly what you allow them to.

Cons

I would love more customizable paid plans. Since I use JAMStack static site generation I don't need a ton of API calls per month, however I would love to add users, locales and per-user permissions.

Takes some time to get working with it

We use Contentful to manage content on more than 10 websites in multiple languages.

Pros

The layout is clean. It helps us managing content in many different languages in one place.

Cons

It took me quite some time to figure out how Contentful works with all kind of layers in translations, products, pages and attributes. Sometimes you lose track of where you are in all those layers. Another thing is that it sometimes takes a long time for updates to go through the publishing queue. Especially when more people are working on it at the same time.

Good for scalability, advanced validation would be a great next feature.

Easily got content libraries up and running, good API for pulling content into other platforms. Customisation doesn't feel the easiest and advanced validation would be good to be built in. We have been able to scale as we add additional partners easily.

Pros

Easy API Integration, good search and filter with customisable columns, comments from other users, different content models rollback and version ability.

Cons

Custom Validation didn't allow us to cross compare fields, different user levels is only available on higher plans.

Be Contentful

Pros

Ease of use and seamless integration allows users to navigate the interface without much training.

Cons

Make sure you have a solid wifi connection to ensure quick load times, it can lag sometimes.