Contentful Reviews

Contentful

API-first Content Management System

Contentful

Review Summary

Pros

I like to recommend you to use Contentful, because it is user friendly, and more professional in developing your projects.

Mohamd E.

We've been using this product for a couple of projects now - glad to mention we're a happy customer. Recommend this to everyone who wants to create a flexible CMS powered web application.

Karan S.

Good for scalability, advanced validation would be a great next feature.

Andy B.

Cons

There are aspects that are difficult, and sometimes hard to keep tabs on what is active and hard to back track if something does go wrong.

Elisa R.

Ben B.

Jan P.

4.5

Contentful is useful and wonderful

I'd like to recommand contentful as it is easy to use, and easy to config store data for develop a project.

Pros

stable, friendly configuration, data structure is clear, and have api auto configuration

Cons

navigation is a little bit tricky, like when duplicate an entity, it lost the original entity's position, so have to go back and track the entity again

CMS Contender

Compared to other CMS platforms out there, this one isn't a bad option to have.

Pros

If properly set up, it's easy to find and navigate sections and areas of your site you'd like to edit.

Cons

You can get lost if you don't know what you're doing.

Easy to implement and powerful tool to manage content.

Little training for the team to get running. Easy adding any media. Love the ability of customizing modules.

Pros

Was very easy to implement and adapt to our workflow. Enables our team to work more efficiently and easily suited to our custom workflow. Very flexible tool when creating and managing content models. Easy to set up editorial workflows and a lot of helpful documentations how to do that. Love the design.

Cons

All good so far with the performance of the tool.

Very inflexible when it comes to styling changes, use only if you have plenty of engineers

Pros

It is impossible for users to create elements that are totally out of line with the corporate design. Contentful also loads faster than many other CMS.

Cons

There isn't much I like about Contentful. It is impossible to copy entire pages without a lot of effort, which makes it very time-consuming to create new pages. While you can re-use existing elements, the problem is that if you change them, they are changed everywhere, and there is no way to just copy an element in order to use it as a new element (i.e., changes you make to it don't affect the element...

An Excellent CMS

Overall I find it a delight to work with. Highly recommended.

Pros

I love all the following: the Infrastructure as Code that allows me to define my models through software, the SDK that allows me to load or update content via automation, the apps that allow webhook integrations such as with Gatsby, Netlify and Github. Finally, I love that it is a SaaS offering where data backups and DB upgrades are not my problem!

Cons

Thee free tier allows me to make two CMS systems. It would be nice if the free tier offered, say, up to five. The first paid for tier feels pricey if all I need was simply that third "not-free" CMS. It would be great if they had a "per CMS" paid tier that allowed a third, fourth, fifth CMS (etc.) at $3.95/month each...or something like that.

Taken a load off our team

We switched to Contentful as a way of consolidating our CMS from three to one. Development is currently ongoing, but I am over the moon with how effective it has been for us to work with Contentful. We're planning a significant relaunch of our product later this year with all curated experiences powered by Contentful.

Pros

The ability to flexibly model content according to what our output needs are, rather than being constrained by a pre-defined model. The ease of adding translations. The customer service we have received.

Cons

Only that the way that the pages are represented could be a little more visual when relating elements together. But it's a very minor thing.

So long, WordPress! Welcome to the future of nimble web development!

The free developer plan is amazing, and overall Contentful has made my life SO MUCH BETTER. I no longer have to worry about updates, databases, or clients breaking their sites.

Pros

The UI of Contentful is superb in its own right, but especially when compared to other similar CMS interfaces. Everything is laid out neatly, and it's easy to sort and edit your content. When paired with a static site generator like Gatsby, Contentful is WAY more safe, dependable, and low-maintenance than WordPress (which I'm sad to say, after being a WP dev for years, is a complete mess).

Cons

Modeling content can be tricky at first, especially since you can't have differing fields within a content type. But once you understand the general concept of "referencing," it becomes quite easy and even enjoyable to structure nested and/or complex data.

All about Contentful

Pros

The user interface of Contentful is great in comparison to the other sites. The user interface is easy to use. It is very easy to locate content. Best API capabilities.

Cons

I'm really satisfied with Contentful, but the interface can be improved to the best.

Good for scalability, advanced validation would be a great next feature.

Easily got content libraries up and running, good API for pulling content into other platforms. Customisation doesn't feel the easiest and advanced validation would be good to be built in. We have been able to scale as we add additional partners easily.

Pros

Easy API Integration, good search and filter with customisable columns, comments from other users, different content models rollback and version ability.

Cons

Custom Validation didn't allow us to cross compare fields, different user levels is only available on higher plans.

A great CMS

Overall, Contenful is a great content management system that's easy to use, secure, and scalable.

Pros

- Contentful is exceptionally easy to use for engineers and non-engineers alike. - Contenful is a headless CMS, which comes with endless benefits.

Cons

Previewing content prior to publication is limited. It's also less flexible for the non-engineer than other Content Management Systems (though this is probably a good thing).

Contentful is an agile 'CMS' and overall easy to work with

I can create a small site without bothering with a traditional CMS and allow the client to access important text copy and the same content could be repurposed for another platform, which is good to know for the future.

Pros

I should clarify that I am speaking from the perspective of a developer so I can't vouch for the experiences of a content contributor. As a developer, I really appreciate being pointed in the right direction with their Gatsby starter kit and Netlify. This has been a great intro into the trend of static react based sites and I love it so far. I will try to stay focused on Contentful though. As someone very familiar with the traditional LAMP stack CMS world, I appreciate that they try to keep CMS best practices and dispense with the countless technical issues plaguing the old school approach. I have only used it for a small site though, but I am psyched to try it out with a larger project to really use it to its best potential.

Cons

I was going to say that it is totally painless, but there are some adaptation pains involved. If, like me, you just jump right in with a Gatsby Starter Kit, you may do some newbie things here and there. But I never really got stuck or blocked, and always learned when going back to improve something. Like I said, I haven't dug deep enough to have had a real issue. The worst negative could be that there are some cross sale situations where you may feel obliged to purchase a plugin to work with your content. I don't know if I can really fault a business on this though. Depending on your dev skills, you can always figure out a way to get your Contentful content to work without necessarily buying a shortcut from a third party.

The best option for a headless CMS

Pros

It is truly cloud-first for a headless approach. You can build your content model and control your input with easy validation (min/max/regex) and even dependencies on other models. It is truly headless and integration with node, react, asp.net, and php have all been relatively easy. Node was definitely the easiest integration.

Cons

I would have said migration between environments, but they recently released a solution for that. I haven't verified it but I'm excited about it. I think the other thing is dealing with deleted fields, it makes it a bit challenging that you have to remove it from view and then delete it to make sure it won't break the existing model. I also get frustrated when I make an existing field that is required and there is no notification that the content doesn't match the new criteria.

CMS solution that lets you publish content simply and easily

Pros

Contentful is a content management system solution which has a great API focus and allows us to develop our own data relationships and data structure. It provides us complete flexibility within projects and gives us the capacity to distribute to different types of platforms with less hassle. The user interface is straightforward and really simplifies the process for our backend system.

Cons

When used in Firefox browser, there are some occasional glitches. However, it works perfectly well in Chrome and Safari, so it’s not really a big problem. When I contacted support, they reviewed and tested it but they said it might just be a plugin issue.

Great for developers, great for non-developers

Pros

I love the ability to completely customize the content types so that the editors are only able to edit exactly what you allow them to.

Cons

I would love more customizable paid plans. Since I use JAMStack static site generation I don't need a ton of API calls per month, however I would love to add users, locales and per-user permissions.

Takes some time to get working with it

We use Contentful to manage content on more than 10 websites in multiple languages.

Pros

The layout is clean. It helps us managing content in many different languages in one place.

Cons

It took me quite some time to figure out how Contentful works with all kind of layers in translations, products, pages and attributes. Sometimes you lose track of where you are in all those layers. Another thing is that it sometimes takes a long time for updates to go through the publishing queue. Especially when more people are working on it at the same time.

Content Management done right.

After deciding to integrate an offline experience to our mobile shopping app Cash to Code I started looking at syncing solutions for mobile. Shouldn't be too hard to find something, many apps have to have this problem - or so I thought. Well, not that easy as it turned out. What was out there at that time was unfinished, limited or just broken. By accident I found Contentful and their API focused CMS. Now...

Pros

API. Sync endpoint. People.

Cons

No Data

I've used Contentful to develop the project of a corporate website.

A fast, rich and 100% reliable development experience.

Pros

Contentful offers number of useful features and it's incredibly smart and simple to use. I also appreciated the great discussion I had with one of Contentful main programmer on Github : it helped me to go way beyond my expectations for a CMS.

Cons

There could be one more step in pricing for small projects like the one I often deal with. I can't really find any reproach.

Make new pages for your custom front end, without being a developer

Content makes me feel like a web developer without knowing how to code.

Pros

First, let me say I am not a web developer. With that said, Contentful makes me feel like one, as it allows me to create new pages for my company website easily, without infringing our standardized UI and UX. The biggest benefit of Contentful for my team is that it has allowed our web developer to focus on larger initiatives, while handing the power to create high-quality, visually-appealing web pages. He created the parameters, effects, buttons, etc inside Contentful, and now it's a sandbox my team can use to create new pages without bugging him. This saves a tremendous amount of time, and multiplies our effectiveness as a team. If we need a new landing page for an event, we can do that all on our own.

Cons

The only negative I can think about with Contentful is the learning curve for the team. Because it is a sandbox type environment, it may take a few meetings for everyone to get on the same page with what can and cannot be done. That said, it makes our lives so much easier now that we have it.

Contentful is so easy to use and integrate. I had my website up and running in no time!

Pros

The ease of use and functionality, paired with a great user interface. The fact you can create your own data structure and data relationships is so useful and enables complete flexibility within projects.

Cons

That it hasn't got anything that really annoys me :-) But, it could do with a better dashboard or something rather than the current "Space home" page.

Incredible content management system

Pros

Contentful is a fantastic tool for writing and managing content. It makes it easy to edit content dynamically. We used it to populate copy and graphics for a Facebook-based chatbot. The interface is intuitive and quick. 5 stars!

Cons

Nothing. It's tremendous. Takes a bit of time to learn how it works (like any new software).

Contentful localization is the bomb!

Pros

Contentful makes it so easy to localize content and to have a fallback when a translation doesn't exist. We're using this extensively to globalize our content and it's fantastic.

Cons

It would be helpful if Contentful provided a means of accessing rendered pages through a proxy. We had to stand up a separate application for this functionality.

The perfect solution if you're looking for a flexibel CMS for your projects

We choose Contentful for our project after comparing many other CMS solutions , whom all seemed to make the process more complicated rather than easier. Contentful on the other hand is a very flexible, straightforward and easy to implement backend system. It serves your data back in JSON which makes it perfect to connect any kind of frontend, without being limited by any predifined layout or formatting. The CMS interface itself is also very easy to manage. You define your content-types, lay them out exactly how you want them, and, in our case, let the client do the rest. All in all a perfect solution if you're looking for a flexibel and easy to use CMS system, and even more so when working with multiple platforms.

Pros

No Data

Cons

No Data

Contentful...

WYSIWYG interface is ok, but nothing crazy. Uploading images is a real pain and can only be done effectively (seo) by adding images one by one. How and when content appears when published is still a mystery to us. Technical limitations not mentioned, poor support.

Pros

No Data

Cons

Support says it all: "we only commit to offering community support in your current subscription plan". Even when you find-out your plan does not work. Check this post if you want to know more: http://bit.ly/2dWl5by

Content providing for the 21st century

DAU proof of servicing content; GraphQL -> Gatsby & Contentful: just great to work with, maintenance a breeze; quick prototyping; webhooks!

Pros

Ease of use; interconnectibility -> Netlify, Gatsby, GraphQL, etc.

Cons

Please re-think monetization for spaces. For small companies....

A greate headless CMS

We've tried Contentful as a alternative to our custom backends. We ended up going with an open source alternative that was enough for our needs.

Pros

Contentful is a very easy to use solution for managing your content without having to develop a custom backend. It has many moderns features and a nice access control for your data

Cons

Compared to other solutions, it has a poor support for translations and the entry price is too high.