Sumo

A free suite of tools for growing traffic on any website

Sumo Reviews

Pros

I like best the ease of use in setting up this program to provide my website visitor's with a better on-site experience while also providing me with detailed metrics on those visitors.

Douglas C.

Sumo has a killer free option for creating a very effective email capture form. It has very detailed analytics and it intergrades with the popular platforms wordpress and shopify.

Douglas C.

Cons

We only wanted to use ONE popup and couldnt. Horrible customer support with limited knowledge about their own product.

You can't integrate with HubSpot until you pay for it. Managing it manually now, but could be a problem in the future.

Xand G.

Sumo added popup in the footer without letting us know (ON A PAID SUBSCRIPTION!). We lost days to enable the implementation, and yet, the product isnt function.

4.1

I use Sumo's free suite of tools on my Squarespace site, and I have been 'em for nearly three years.

A pain-free way to collect emails that go above and beyond what Squarespace and/or Mailchimp can offer to a startup/small business? Sumo has your back, hands down.

Pros

I love the (even at the freemium level) assorted tools they have for capturing emails. With a little bit of coding, you can customize your lead magnets, both in terms of appearance and delivery.

Cons

My only complaint with their suite of tools are their sharing tools, and this is nitpicky. I already have built-in share buttons on my CMS that look great on mobile and on a desktop. The Sumo tool was a real bother when I was using it (2015-2017). It even caused one of my followers to email and let me know it was a nuisance with this lagging (yet persistent in its following) behavior.

Thanks for your review! We're constantly working on improvements and appreciate your feedback. If you ever would like to test out new features, here is a link to our Ecommerce plan free trial: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T Good luck with your business!

Sumo saves your time and allows managing you websites sing up forms on the go.

So far Sumo free version is installed on two our websites and everyone is happy with is.

Pros

Code is easy to install via GTM. My favourite feature is smart mode for visibility, which really is helpfull when you need to add a sign up form to your website quickly.

Cons

Sumo is probabbly not that easy to use for new users or those who never used similar services or edited images.

Easy to use tool

Worth the money.

Pros

A very easy-to-use tool for generating leads. Friendly interface, great possibilities of testing various graphic variants. Very useful ready-made pop-up templates.

Cons

A bit unintuitive way to change templates in tests, although perhaps the problem has already been solved.

Easy to set up, but a bit clunky

SumoMe enabled me to get started free with an email marketing automation that would require a paid account with Mailchimp. It was a good way to get started testing things out. As I grow, I'm looking into moving to Mailchimp though.

Pros

It was easy to get started with my email campaigns and it was free. Automation was easy to get started even in the free version.

Cons

The interface leaves a bit to be desired. More guidance would be helpful. In the free version, stats are only available for 30 days. Integration with ThriveCart would be great.

Capture emails from day one

SumoMe tools helped me quickly add the necessary e-mail capture features to a website, and I didn't need to worry about missing paying customers from day one of having the website live.

Pros

You can set the e-mail capture windows on your site in no time and you can do it for free. It's great for new content websites or blogs which you need to test for lead captures without spending additional budget.

Cons

I think it could use some reprogramming, sometimes I think the features load to slow and can make the whole website experience go down.

Stop Leaving Money On The Table!

Sumo which when I first started using was referred to as SumoMe has proven to be a worthy addition to my website arsenal and a valuable tool to recommend throughout my digital marketing consultancy. This set of tools has boost some of my clients email acquisition strategies as a number of clients where established brick and mortar stores but online virgins. SumoMe interface was really intuitive and presented very little headaches for my clients to wrap their heads around with a number of them collecting list of 1,000+ plus emails after previously struggling to even get 50 emails in the beginning. These tools definitely adds value to any arsenal !

Pros

Grow your email list seamlessly Address cart abandonment concerns Ability to collect email address from user on exit Discount Codes (ecommerce plan offers unique codes) Autoresponder And more

Cons

Free version advertises on your website Plans can be costly if site offers little ROI

I really like sumo. I use a lot of its features on my blog. It helped a lot.

It helped incorporate features on my blog with ease that I wouldn't of been able to do otherwise.

Pros

I love that a lot of its features are easy to use. They come with very easy to use directions. It has a lot of features that costs money on other programs.

Cons

I use the free version, and I wish it had more choices for that. I also wish it had better choices for email. I have to use another program for that.

Hello, Colleen! Thanks for the warms words. I noticed that you are using our free version and would love to see more features and options under this version. We currently offer free 14 day trial of our Ecommerce plan. Check it out and see if it has what you are looking for: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T

One of the best marketing tools I ever used

Before using Sumo, I coded the forms myself or used other very poor plugins. After using Sumo, my email list grew much faster and my sales increased.

Pros

Very easy to set-up a pop-up form for getting people to sign-up to email lists. Easy to integrate with most used email management services such as Mailchimp and others. Email Automation included in the free plan.

Cons

Could not find the option to disable the forms on specific pages but maybe it's there. Other than that this tool is pure gold.

Good Concept, Terrible Execution

Pros

I like to concept of the product and the abilities it has to incorporate popups to your website without adding more than a script to your site.

Cons

Everything else. Their help service is the worst and they often treat you as an idiot. Even with photos and indepth information about issues, they still are unable to understand the problem. We went round and round with them for 4 months about an issue to later find that it was a bug on there end. Using the product is hard and the data you're provide on your popups is limited.

Hello! Thank you for your review and I am sorry you've experienced issues with the software. We've made lots of updates to our service and hope you can reconsider using Sumo for you business. I highly recommend trying out our new Shortcuts feature :) Here is a link to free trial for you: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T

We use Sumo to add social buttons to our Wordpress sites and to grow newsletter lists

Pros

I like that is collects all the data on social buttons and on newsletter subscriber acquisition fields all in one place.

Cons

It often feels buggy, and the changes I implement on the backend don't always show up, requiring me to repeat steps sometimes.

Thanks for your review, Megan! We're constantly working on software improvements and value your input. If you experience any issues with the website, please don't hesitate to contact our Support Team.

Sumo Review

Sumo has helped me double my email subscribers which helps me convert them into customers. I have been able to share my own content with my audience on all my various social platforms like facebook, twitter, etc. to make them aware of new contents. This increases the engagement of my contents hence increasing my traffic as well.

Pros

After looking for a simple tool to increase my website's traffic and collect emails for marketing I found "sumo." It is very simple to integrate into my website. The settings are so simple with many preferences of your choice. It helped me add social share buttons to my website and helped me grow my email lists at a faster rate. The attention of any visitor is easily caught to interact more with me and my website. Sending emails to a bunch of subscribers in my chosen groups look simple when using sumo. The pop-up subscription box and the social share buttons are not intrusive and it has an automatic welcome message for all my new subscribers which saves my time of welcoming them with messages all the time.

Cons

I haven't been able to send emails to individual subscribers. It allows me to send marketing emails to only those added to my groups and I don't know why. I therefore believe because I am using the free version that is why I have been limited to that. I would like to be a premium member soon.

Great, easy pop-up tool

We have had a great experience with SUMO. We use it on multiple sites as an email capture tool, and our email subscriptions have tripled since adding this pop-up on our site as the first thing people see when coming to the site.

Pros

Sumo was a great addition to our company website to help gather email addresses through a pop-up when someone comes to the site. The pop-ups are easy to create with either custom imagery and their wizard, or using their basic templates. There are many options for the type of pop-ups that they offer. Implementation is immediate and was something that I could do without needing an HTML programmer. The pop-ups do not interfere with any other tracking or plug-ins on our site, and I like that I can set the frequency to not overwhelm frequent visitors.

Cons

I like the reporting functions, but I would like to see more data as it relates to the success. You get the impressions and actions taken, but I would like to know how many times an individual sees the popup before finally entering their email, if more than once, as an example. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this tool.

Enhance Your Website Visitor's Experience While Also Gaining Greater Insight

Setting up Sumo on each of my websites was very intuitive and easy to accomplish. There are features that allow you to personalize the look and the experience visitors to the site will each have. Once set up it then runs on autopilot to track some helpful metrics on those visitors and what they do while on each site. Sumo enhances the look and functionality of the site on which it is installed while providing helpful functions that improve each visitors experience.

Pros

Cons

I've been using Sumo on two websites for more than a few years and have not found anything about that I do not like.

Great Plugin For My website

Pros

I am actively using SUMO on my website now. It's a great tool for my site. I've recommended it to many of my business connects. I use it for signups and newsletter listserves. I like that you can group signups by the promos you're running. The interface is easy to understand, it actually "guides" you through the creating process. It asks your desired outcome and where you'd like the signup box to appear, when, and what it will look like. You can turn on and off the sign-ups at any time. You can also send tests to see what it looks like when someone does sign up. You can check your website analytics with Sumo which is a great perk!

Cons

I hate that many times you have to re-login to sumo when it's connected through your website. Like I have Sumo linked as a plugin and I always have to re-login and I wish it would stay logged in. Also, when you are checking the analytics, I feel it could be more in-depth. I wish that I could use more than one signup at a time. The unpaid version, of course, is limited. If you don't have design skills, you cannot make a "pretty" "pop-up" box with ease. But, if you're tech/design savvy, you should be okay.

Recommended for Leads Collection

I also connected it to Google analytics to show overall page views and organic searches.

Pros

I use Sumo on both bookclubs.com.ng and a client's website I had set up on WordPress a few years ago. If you plan to collect emails on your website with pop-ups and other campaigns then I recommend it. My dashboard also shows me comprehensive statistics such as Top 5 visited pages, conversions rates and all my subscribers. They also make it easy for you to export subscribers

Cons

This feels really small to add to a review but logging out of Sumo completely will take an average techie awhile. I was looking for the log out button the first time I used it. It was so frustrating. I ended up going on their faq page on their website to find it. 'Click the "X" icon on the Sumo control panel (blue tab) while holding down the shift key to completely log out'. Why does it have to be so difficult?

Experience with Sumo

Great product. Have set it up for a handful of clients to build out their email lists.

Pros

Sumo gives users the ability to do one of the most important things an online business needs to do: collect emails to grow their list. They do so with great pop-ups, welcome mat, and smart bars.

Cons

Some of the functionality is a bit clunky. They seem to go wide vs narrow, i.e. trying to do everything instead of becoming the best at a few things.

We're happy to have you as our customer. Thanks for the review!

The Easiest Way To again Customers

Superb customer service.

Pros

Easy to use once fully set up. Very important to me is the ability to A/B test promotions and change pop ups, banners and welcome mats according to my current promotions.

Cons

Very little. I have a Pro Account but would like access to a few more “add-one” namely Short Cuts and Cart Casino. These are minor negatives and they would be available if I upgraded my account.

They have some bugs but i tried the free version and they keep getting better and add capabilities

Good. Gave me what I needed, free

Pros

Easy to use, great guides, helps achieve many marketing goals, combines analytics ontop of your website, great features

Cons

I encountered several bugs that didn't make me purchase but I'm pretty sure the paid version works great. They are a very good company, brand

Thanks for your review, Tal! We are always improving our plans and hope you can feel more confident in using them :)

Good looking forms, but the asynchronous loading doesn't help the business

Pros

Note that I've only used the SumoMe forms. Ignore this review if you're using their other tools. The forms look good and you have the option to customize them in more-than-you-have-time ways.

Cons

The SumoMe forms aren't a bad tool, just that... You're at a conference and you have a single page with a SumoMe opt-in form for people interested in your product + some bad internet that you can't control. The page you worked on only loads the rest of the content and people scroll past the form (the form that doesn't load, because it's made to load asynchronously and it prioritizes the rest of the content before the form). So basically people just leave because they didn't see the form. Now imagine the same thing, online, and all the users and their internet speed that you cannot control. That was the end of our story with SumoMe. And it had the potential to be a good story.

An ideal way to start building a list

Great starter product, ironically with the type of offers provided by appsumo you'll probably end up ditching this for something else in the long run

Pros

Sumo allows you to quickly and easily grow a list using intuitive opt in forms You can build a large list of subscribers and then email them all within the free plan, which is great for starting out

Cons

Once you outgrow the free plan it starts getting expensive It improved over the time frame in which I was using it, but it did seem a bit sluggish

SUMO is the king

Pros

Tried several tools but definitely SUMO is the best solution to grow my business. Easy to use and implement with a lot of documentation.

Cons

I can’t fin any cons. They are improving continuously their product and fixing everything that can be a con.

Great way to engage website's users

Pros

Free to use, easy to set well-designed, discrete pop-ups, sharing features engaging content shares on social

Cons

The settings interface could be quicker, sometimes it's difficult to handle settings, e.g. if you have a live chat installed at your website.

Easy Email Collection

It’s a great experience with this software. It has boosted my email acquisitions strategies. It’s user friendly interface has given few, but little headache.

Pros

It has a pop-up feature that collects email from visitors. Easy to create pop-ups with images and wizards. It has the ability off setting frequency not to overwhelm visitors.

Cons

Adverts are placed on your site when using free version. It comes with costly plans when small amount is offered on ROI.

Sumo makes getting new readers easy

Pros

I have used Sumo on my site for 2+ years. It has allowed me to capture new followers that I would not otherwise have added to my mailing list. I love the design of the pop ups.

Cons

There isn't anything that I would change about Sumo

Sumo Group is a Big Gift for Entrepreneurs

I have been using it for years and I tell you to try it now!

Pros

I am a fan of what [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the sumo group team is building. Sumo is an amazing tool and I recommend it frequently to friends and foes.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. Sumo is one of the most used and appreciated softwares in the category for a good reason!