Sumo Reviews

4.06/5 (48 reviews)

Anthony Eshun

Sumo Review

Reviewed 2019-10-07

Sumo has helped me double my email subscribers which helps me convert them into customers. I have been able to share my own content with my audience on all my various social platforms like facebook, twitter, etc. to make them aware of new contents. This increases the engagement of my contents hence increasing my traffic as well.

Pros
After looking for a simple tool to increase my website's traffic and collect emails for marketing I found "sumo." It is very simple to integrate into my website. The settings are so simple with many preferences of your choice. It helped me add social share buttons to my website and helped me grow my email lists at a faster rate. The attention of any visitor is easily caught to interact more with me and my website. Sending emails to a bunch of subscribers in my chosen groups look simple when using sumo. The pop-up subscription box and the social share buttons are not intrusive and it has an automatic welcome message for all my new subscribers which saves my time of welcoming them with messages all the time.

Cons
I haven't been able to send emails to individual subscribers. It allows me to send marketing emails to only those added to my groups and I don't know why. I therefore believe because I am using the free version that is why I have been limited to that. I would like to be a premium member soon.

Emily Byer

Great, easy pop-up tool

Reviewed 2019-03-12

We have had a great experience with SUMO. We use it on multiple sites as an email capture tool, and our email subscriptions have tripled since adding this pop-up on our site as the first thing people see when coming to the site.

Pros
Sumo was a great addition to our company website to help gather email addresses through a pop-up when someone comes to the site. The pop-ups are easy to create with either custom imagery and their wizard, or using their basic templates. There are many options for the type of pop-ups that they offer. Implementation is immediate and was something that I could do without needing an HTML programmer. The pop-ups do not interfere with any other tracking or plug-ins on our site, and I like that I can set the frequency to not overwhelm frequent visitors.

Cons
I like the reporting functions, but I would like to see more data as it relates to the success. You get the impressions and actions taken, but I would like to know how many times an individual sees the popup before finally entering their email, if more than once, as an example. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this tool.

Jake The Film Guy

I use Sumo's free suite of tools on my Squarespace site, and I have been 'em for nearly three years.

Reviewed 2018-06-03

A pain-free way to collect emails that go above and beyond what Squarespace and/or Mailchimp can offer to a startup/small business? Sumo has your back, hands down.

Pros
I love the (even at the freemium level) assorted tools they have for capturing emails. With a little bit of coding, you can customize your lead magnets, both in terms of appearance and delivery.

Cons
My only complaint with their suite of tools are their sharing tools, and this is nitpicky. I already have built-in share buttons on my CMS that look great on mobile and on a desktop. The Sumo tool was a real bother when I was using it (2015-2017). It even caused one of my followers to email and let me know it was a nuisance with this lagging (yet persistent in its following) behavior.

Response from Sumo group

Thanks for your review! We're constantly working on improvements and appreciate your feedback. If you ever would like to test out new features, here is a link to our Ecommerce plan free trial: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T
Good luck with your business!

Sachin Ellcock BSc.

Stop Leaving Money On The Table!

Reviewed 2019-01-03

Sumo which when I first started using was referred to as SumoMe has proven to be a worthy addition to my website arsenal and a valuable tool to recommend throughout my digital marketing consultancy. This set of tools has boost some of my clients email acquisition strategies as a number of clients where established brick and mortar stores but online virgins. SumoMe interface was really intuitive and presented very little headaches for my clients to wrap their heads around with a number of them collecting list of 1,000+ plus emails after previously struggling to even get 50 emails in the beginning. These tools definitely adds value to any arsenal !

Pros
Grow your email list seamlessly Address cart abandonment concerns Ability to collect email address from user on exit Discount Codes (ecommerce plan offers unique codes) Autoresponder And more

Cons
Free version advertises on your website Plans can be costly if site offers little ROI

Douglas Calandrella

Enhance Your Website Visitor's Experience While Also Gaining Greater Insight

Reviewed 2019-09-07

Setting up Sumo on each of my websites was very intuitive and easy to accomplish. There are features that allow you to personalize the look and the experience visitors to the site will each have. Once set up it then runs on autopilot to track some helpful metrics on those visitors and what they do while on each site. Sumo enhances the look and functionality of the site on which it is installed while providing helpful functions that improve each visitors experience.

Pros
I like best the ease of use in setting up this program to provide my website visitor's with a better on-site experience while also providing me with detailed metrics on those visitors.

Cons
I've been using Sumo on two websites for more than a few years and have not found anything about that I do not like.

Shashu Aych

Great Plugin For My website

Reviewed 2019-01-05

Pros
I am actively using SUMO on my website now. It's a great tool for my site. I've recommended it to many of my business connects. I use it for signups and newsletter listserves. I like that you can group signups by the promos you're running. The interface is easy to understand, it actually "guides" you through the creating process. It asks your desired outcome and where you'd like the signup box to appear, when, and what it will look like. You can turn on and off the sign-ups at any time. You can also send tests to see what it looks like when someone does sign up. You can check your website analytics with Sumo which is a great perk!

Cons
I hate that many times you have to re-login to sumo when it's connected through your website. Like I have Sumo linked as a plugin and I always have to re-login and I wish it would stay logged in. Also, when you are checking the analytics, I feel it could be more in-depth. I wish that I could use more than one signup at a time. The unpaid version, of course, is limited. If you don't have design skills, you cannot make a "pretty" "pop-up" box with ease. But, if you're tech/design savvy, you should be okay.

Colleen Wool

I really like sumo. I use a lot of its features on my blog. It helped a lot.

Reviewed 2018-06-06

It helped incorporate features on my blog with ease that I wouldn't of been able to do otherwise.

Pros
I love that a lot of its features are easy to use. They come with very easy to use directions. It has a lot of features that costs money on other programs.

Cons
I use the free version, and I wish it had more choices for that. I also wish it had better choices for email. I have to use another program for that.

Response from Sumo group

Hello, Colleen! Thanks for the warms words. I noticed that you are using our free version and would love to see more features and options under this version. We currently offer free 14 day trial of our Ecommerce plan. Check it out and see if it has what you are looking for: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T

Magnus Okeke

Recommended for Leads Collection

Reviewed 2019-02-02

I also connected it to Google analytics to show overall page views and organic searches.

Pros
I use Sumo on both bookclubs.com.ng and a client's website I had set up on WordPress a few years ago. If you plan to collect emails on your website with pop-ups and other campaigns then I recommend it. My dashboard also shows me comprehensive statistics such as Top 5 visited pages, conversions rates and all my subscribers. They also make it easy for you to export subscribers

Cons
This feels really small to add to a review but logging out of Sumo completely will take an average techie awhile. I was looking for the log out button the first time I used it. It was so frustrating. I ended up going on their faq page on their website to find it. 'Click the "X" icon on the Sumo control panel (blue tab) while holding down the shift key to completely log out'. Why does it have to be so difficult?

Experience with Sumo

Reviewed 2018-09-11

Great product. Have set it up for a handful of clients to build out their email lists.

Pros
Sumo gives users the ability to do one of the most important things an online business needs to do: collect emails to grow their list. They do so with great pop-ups, welcome mat, and smart bars.

Cons
Some of the functionality is a bit clunky. They seem to go wide vs narrow, i.e. trying to do everything instead of becoming the best at a few things.

Response from Sumo group

We're happy to have you as our customer. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous

Great solution for growing email list and recovering sales

Reviewed 2019-11-19

Sumo is a nice service and is generous with features and amount of subscribers, even on its lowest plan. Sumo is also easy to use and offers great looking emails and popups. The limited amount of integrations mean you may need to develop your own extension for certain integrations.

Pros
One of the best things about sumo is there are no limits to how many subscribers (even on lowest plan). Although there is a limit on how many emails that can be sent in a given month, it is usually a sufficient amount for those starting out or those operating a small business. Being able to use cart abandonment features on the lowest plan, is also a big plus and sets it apart from its biggest competitor. The emails and popups are professional looking, easy to setup, and shows analytics on dashboard which is helpful. I also like the value added tools they give out such as the website social share buttons and smart bar that can be integrated into pages.

Cons
The amount of integrations may be a bit limited. This means a custom module would need to be built for many people. We found we had to use a custom built extension to ingrate with our website since they did not have one for our platform. At time of this writing, there are about 5 official integrations that are available, whereas their biggest competitor has 40 official integrations.

Lee Mitton

The Easiest Way To again Customers

Reviewed 2018-11-16

Superb customer service.

Pros
Easy to use once fully set up. Very important to me is the ability to A/B test promotions and change pop ups, banners and welcome mats according to my current promotions.

Cons
Very little. I have a Pro Account but would like access to a few more “add-one” namely Short Cuts and Cart Casino. These are minor negatives and they would be available if I upgraded my account.

Tal Lior

They have some bugs but i tried the free version and they keep getting better and add capabilities

Reviewed 2018-09-17

Good. Gave me what I needed, free

Pros
Easy to use, great guides, helps achieve many marketing goals, combines analytics ontop of your website, great features

Cons
I encountered several bugs that didn't make me purchase but I'm pretty sure the paid version works great. They are a very good company, brand

Response from Sumo group

Thanks for your review, Tal! We are always improving our plans and hope you can feel more confident in using them :)

Anonymous

Good looking forms, but the asynchronous loading doesn't help the business

Reviewed 2018-05-23

Pros
Note that I've only used the SumoMe forms. Ignore this review if you're using their other tools. The forms look good and you have the option to customize them in more-than-you-have-time ways.

Cons
The SumoMe forms aren't a bad tool, just that... You're at a conference and you have a single page with a SumoMe opt-in form for people interested in your product + some bad internet that you can't control. The page you worked on only loads the rest of the content and people scroll past the form (the form that doesn't load, because it's made to load asynchronously and it prioritizes the rest of the content before the form). So basically people just leave because they didn't see the form. Now imagine the same thing, online, and all the users and their internet speed that you cannot control. That was the end of our story with SumoMe. And it had the potential to be a good story.

Anonymous

An ideal way to start building a list

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-04-24

Great starter product, ironically with the type of offers provided by appsumo you'll probably end up ditching this for something else in the long run

Pros
Sumo allows you to quickly and easily grow a list using intuitive opt in forms You can build a large list of subscribers and then email them all within the free plan, which is great for starting out

Cons
Once you outgrow the free plan it starts getting expensive It improved over the time frame in which I was using it, but it did seem a bit sluggish

Mateusz Pliszka

Great way to engage website's users

Reviewed 2018-07-11

Pros
Free to use, easy to set well-designed, discrete pop-ups, sharing features engaging content shares on social

Cons
The settings interface could be quicker, sometimes it's difficult to handle settings, e.g. if you have a live chat installed at your website.

Daniel Etele

Easy Email Collection

Reviewed 2019-04-03

It’s a great experience with this software. It has boosted my email acquisitions strategies. It’s user friendly interface has given few, but little headache.

Pros
It has a pop-up feature that collects email from visitors. Easy to create pop-ups with images and wizards. It has the ability off setting frequency not to overwhelm visitors.

Cons
Adverts are placed on your site when using free version. It comes with costly plans when small amount is offered on ROI.

Melissa Benaroya

Sumo makes getting new readers easy

Reviewed 2019-04-11

Pros
I have used Sumo on my site for 2+ years. It has allowed me to capture new followers that I would not otherwise have added to my mailing list. I love the design of the pop ups.

Cons
There isn't anything that I would change about Sumo

Luca Renga

Sumo Group is a Big Gift for Entrepreneurs

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2019-10-18

I have been using it for years and I tell you to try it now!

Pros
I am a fan of what Noah Kagan and the sumo group team is building. Sumo is an amazing tool and I recommend it frequently to friends and foes.

Cons
Nothing I can think of. Sumo is one of the most used and appreciated softwares in the category for a good reason!

Great tools + great content

Reviewed 2018-11-08

Get more optins. It helps with this.

Pros
Easy to set up. High converting templates. Lots of different tools included.

Cons
On a previous site the code made the site slow but I think they have improved this now. Also Initially the export feature was not free but I understand the thinking behund htis.

Response from Sumo group

Thanks a bunch! We're working on additional features that would be available to our new and existing customers very soon. Stay tuned. Great updates are on the way ;)

Good Concept, Terrible Execution

Reviewed 2018-07-02

Pros
I like to concept of the product and the abilities it has to incorporate popups to your website without adding more than a script to your site.

Cons
Everything else. Their help service is the worst and they often treat you as an idiot. Even with photos and indepth information about issues, they still are unable to understand the problem. We went round and round with them for 4 months about an issue to later find that it was a bug on there end. Using the product is hard and the data you're provide on your popups is limited.

Response from Sumo group

Hello! Thank you for your review and I am sorry you've experienced issues with the software. We've made lots of updates to our service and hope you can reconsider using Sumo for you business. I highly recommend trying out our new Shortcuts feature :) Here is a link to free trial for you: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Crystal Ignatowski

Many Tools in One Tool

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2017-09-12

Pros
There's a lot going on with Sumo. Sumo comes with many features that help improve your website: a welcome mat, floating share buttons, heat maps, content analysis, etc. I originally wanted Sumo for the floating share buttons, but then realized it could do a lot more.

Cons
Had quite a few issues with the floating share buttons conflicting with our website theme, BUT, Sumo has great customer support, so they overcame that con and turned it into a pro.

Joanne Wadsworth

A plugin for my Wordpress website.

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-04-11

I've been generally happy with the product. It can help grow your email list and to generate more sales.

Pros
Sumo has been a tool I've used to help grow my email list and to generate more sales.

Cons
There is a free version and a paid version, the free version not syncing the emails into certain email newsletter software platforms. That can be annoying when wanting to trial the product before buying it.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Sean Foo

Good Straight Forward Way To Build Your Subscribers

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2018-06-26

Pros
Great plugin for wordpress sites, helps to let your readers quickly share your articles & content to the rest of their network and the while. Perhaps the easiest tool to use to help get more subscribers - very user friendly sharing bar too.

Cons
While Sumo is great, it is not fully compatible with quite a few website platforms and builders that include Wix.

Andrey Rusev

A wonderful tool for lead growth

Reviewed 2018-11-29

Sumo helped me to learno more about the behavior of the visitors.

Pros
My experience with Sumo is when I implemented it to a Wordpress site. The implemantation was very easy and all tools wored quick.

Cons
I don't have any complaints with Sumo but if yo want to keep yor site from any form of distractions, then better not use that tool.

Response from Sumo group

Thanks for your review, Andrey!

Amon Schenk

Lead Capture tool

Reviewed 2018-10-29

Pros
This simple tool took me about 10 minutes to setup and has won me over 300 email subscribers on my website! I like the ease of setup.

Cons
When wanting to view subscribers it seems to be 3 clicks to many to get where I want to go. I wish their was a more direct root.

Response from Sumo group

Hey, Amon! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! <3