DrChrono Reviews

User ratings

4.0

• Likelihood to recommend8.01/10

See full reviews by rating

DrChromo has a good payment plan compared to other similar EHR which helps to save money. It keeps improving its functionality.
I love the ability to take templates that other users have created and then edit off of those. Also like that square is integrated with it for payment.
The feature we liked best was auto posting of insurance payments. Also, the reporting package had great flexibility.
Its handled by auto generated scripts and it only gets to a live person via email, not a phone call, when the problem is out of hands and escalated by an irate consumer.
Pushy salespeople, bad experience with sales and billing staff, expensive. Took 6 months to integrate billing software with clearinghouse, poor follow up with customer service regarding this process.
We are just finishing the contract but we will not renew. This is very difficult to use and it’s very useless for medical spa.

Lauren M.

Account executive

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

DrChrono

Transcript

Loni M.: My name is Loni. I'm a licensed therapist and I give DrChrono a four rating. For more like this...

Dr Baden P.

Save thousands in upfront expenses.

I saved thousands of dollars in upfront expenses from other EHR companies and then pay update fees every year.

Pros

They keep current payers at the monthly price they started at when tasing the priced for new customers. I have been with and using DrChrono for about 6 years now. They are always improving. It is a nice system that can be used multi-disciplinary. I am a chiropractor an I used it with a a medical Nurse Practitioner. What initially appealed to me is there was no multi thousand dollar up front software like a lot of other EHR companies want to charge you, along with yearly upgrade fees. None of that here so you start off saving thousands.

Cons

The Price keeps raising every year, for new accounts. Customer service sinks and there is no direct phone number to call to have the issue solved right away, you have to email them and wait for them to get back to you.

DJ

Dr John Z.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

The ultimate software partner for your Mac computer office!

Patients save me time and charting by communicating through the onpatient portal. I can run reports and have an immediate idea of what symptoms and frequency my patients are presenting and develop educational materials that support those diagnosis. I stay on top of my day by way of daily schedule emailed to me every morning.

Pros

Seamless integration with my MacBook, iMac and iPhone. Fast, knowledgeable support. The unlimited ability to customize for my sole practitioner non-force chiropractic practice. Easy to understand video tutorials which answer most questions without having to contact support. Robust, integrated systems, such as the ability to provide credit card processing. Knowing that drchrono is a leader and partner with Apple Health.

Cons

I get frustrated when I am on a learning curve with a new part of the software. But that's my problem!

KK

Katherine K.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Does not function as advertised.

The first year or two was great. The subsequent 4.5 years have been a nightmare. Because of how hard DrChrono makes it to export charts, I feel like a prisoner to it. Read only access to charts costs $150/month and require a 1 year contract, so I can’t even gradually move my charts to a new system.

Pros

Theoretically DrChrono offers a comprehensive product with all the features you would want under one roof. It was easy to learn how things are supposed to work. The UI is not too visually cluttered.

Cons

It doesn’t work as promised. When something is broken, the help desk first gaslights you,, trying to convince you that it’s not broken or that it’s your fault it’s broken. Sometimes tickets are open for a month or two before they even acknowledge that it’s broken. They don’t reliably notify the larger DrChrono community of system level problems. The status page with system uptime statistics is...

Hi Dr. K, Thank you for taking the time to write us and for your feedback! Indeed we posted a system performance issue via the status page on November 3rd (the timeline and RCA are currently available through the incident history page). This was categorized as degraded performance rather than a full outage which is what's currently being used in automatically computing the system uptime statistic. Our team is working on incorporating additional statuses, including degraded performance, in this metric for increased accuracy of our overall platform health in the near future. We know you have been working closely with your account manager to address any concerns. We take this feedback seriously and appreciate your continued partnership! - The DrChrono Team

AP

Alexis P.

Medical Devices, self-employed

Excellent and cost effective

Pros

E prescribing and charting are easy to use

Cons

Customer support . I cannot improve because there is no technical support

Hi Alexis - thank you so much for your feedback! We are sorry to hear you feel you have not received adequate support. We'd be happy to get you connected with the right person if you still need help - please either submit a support ticket here: https://support.drchrono.com/hc/en-us/requests/new or connect with your Account Manager. You can also reply directly to this message for further assistance. Thank you for being a DrChrono user!

NJ

Norman J.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Product is "Good", Service is "Outstanding"

Dr C is excellent for our practice, easy to customize templates and support is always fast and effective.

Pros

Easy to implement, great support, ease of use

Cons

Some of the features don't really function as well as advertised

Thank you for the kind words and helpful feedback!

SS

Shannon S.

Happy with our decision

Overall, Dr. Chrono has been a great value for the price. We are very pleased with the decision.

Pros

provider documentation. streamlined, looks good, customizable.

Cons

Would like it if my medical assistant could pin prescriptions ahead of time for me (the provider) to sign. That would free up time.

Edward G.

downtime

Unintuitive, clunky, unreliable. On the bright side, DrChrono has a lot of potential to do a lot of things that it doesn't realize due to poor customer service, bugs, and very poor user experience.

Pros

The e-prescribing module is the most user-friendly part of the EMR. It isn't great, however. It would be better if it would save prescription that were pending signature for signing later.

Cons

The frequent downtime, slowdowns and bugs are the #1 headache of being a DrChrono end user. Yesterday it ran so slow for 6+ hours that it was impossible to send controlled substance prescriptions. It was almost impossible to save notes. Appointment weren't getting saved to the schedule. It would take on the order of minutes to open a note. There are other glitches, like appointment reminders getting turned off, buttons disappearing, and new diagnoses getting added to patient charts. For example, many of my patient charts were automatically updated with diagnoses of ADHD and schizophrenia. There are lots of other quirks and problems: if you delete an appointment from the calendar, the note disappears from the chart. The chart shouldn't be that fragile!

Hi Dr. Edward, We appreciate your review and feedback! We know the downtime that occurred recently was frustrating, and we appreciate you bearing with us while we worked to get everything resolved. We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having with patient charts and want to be sure we work to get this corrected. Have you submitted a support ticket yet? If you haven't, you can do so here: https://support.drchrono.com/hc/en-us/requests/new If you have submitted a ticket but are still having issues, please send us an email to marketing@drchrono.com with the support ticket number and any other information you think might be helpful. We appreciate you being a part of DrChrono and look forward to further assisting you! Regards, The DrChrono Team

LB

Laura B.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! DON'T DO IT!

We used them for several years, used to have great customer service and communication and it's pretty obvious they are going under and we were overpaying for years!

Pros

Customization of templates and scheduling calendar.

Cons

Many system crashes over the last year. We decided to switch to a different EHR system that was more user friendly, better online booking system and our account manager will NOT get back to us after WEEKS of sending emails and phone calls to get notes imported to new system and to cancel the account.

Tracy N.

Management Consulting,

Easy to use program with great support

Pros

I love how very self explanatory Dr. Chrono is. I find it very easy to navigate from reporting to scheduling. The support staff is very responsive and attentive for any and all questions. Any time I needed assistance I received responses promptly. Every staff member that I spoke with always took the time to show me step by step instructions and were always available for follow up questions down the road.

Cons

The biggest problem that my clinic has run into with this software is that we have three different doctors in our practice that each have there own ways of taking payments, but because we only have one license for Dr. Chrono is hard to know which doctor the patient owes money too considering they see all three. We have worked around the problem, but it's very time consuming. Also the reporting was very minimal but has gotten better through the years

Eric W.

Great Product

Pros

i like the new addition of several financial reports that you can run to really analyze your practice with regards to billing

Cons

the support is sometimes difficult to communicate with. they are timely but ifeel there is a language barrier.

AS

Amy S.

Massage Therapist Employee at a Chiropractic Clinic

I trust the business savvy of the Chiropractor that I worked for while using this software. He did his research and chose this software despite that it is less catered to a Chiropractic office than a medical doctor's office. There are many good aspects to it. It is ultimately more than what I would need as a Massage Therapist and not enough of what I would need. It was ideal to have it for my notes while being an employee, however. I wish all software had such wonderfully customized SOAP notes!

Pros

The SOAP notes were amazing. Being able to customize how to use them in terms of using intensity number scales, images, drop menus for frequently address muscles and more. It would also flood notes from a previous session, since there are often a lot of similarities, while allowing for easy changes to everything that could have been different that session. Well through thew, easy to use. The best SOAP notes I have ever used from Millennium (2 versions), Clinic Sense, MassageBook, Vagaro & Mind Body. Dr. Chrono is a land slide winner.

Cons

1) The system does not allow for varying appointment times for different types of practitioners. For instance, clients trying to schedule a 10min chiropractic adjustment & 60min massage ONLINE, would have their massage session only block off 10mins of the MT's schedule. (When the MT only had 15mins between clients, the client was led to believe they scheduled their 60min!)This created a lot of confusion...

JC

Jessica C.

Responsive Support, and an Improvement-Focused Team

My regular interactions with DrChrono's support staff and management team were consistently wonderful. The software could be a little more intuitively designed. I appreciate the magnitude of the service DrChrono strives to provide, and how challenging it must be to create a software that covers all bases.

Pros

DrChrono is very powerful software that aspires to provide integrated solutions to many or all needs of a medical office. The customer support is absolutely the best part of DrChrono. It seemed clear to me that DrChrono was invested in listening to customer feedback and making updates to better serve their clients. Each page provides a great deal of information. It's worth investing the time to learn how to make the most of the software.

Cons

There was one day when significant updates had been made to the software without any advance notice to the users. Left work one evening, started getting messages about the changes from struggling staff the next morning. That said, this happened only once in two years, and was not typical of the software experience. Training period recommended. This is not necessarily pick-up-and-go software for most...

MA

Michael A.

Great Foundation, Good value - Feedback is not heard

Pros

Web interface is very good, particularly with the introduction of advanced task management. Easy to track electronic communication. Appointment templates are very helpful. App interface is great for physicians, but limited since it requires an iPad. Ideally, our Doctors could use a Surface device and have access to app interface and web interface as there are benefits to each interface. Billing Team - staff and support is rock solid. Responsive, polite and respectful of the importance of timely A/R processing and communication. By far, the Billing Team is the best representation of what DrChrono could be. The basic system is strong, robust and could be a truly excellent product with some relatively simple tweaks to managements attitude towards customer concerns.

Cons

DrChrono does not have empathetic listening skills for business concerns, outside of the billing staff. Any and all criticism is dismissed and blamed on the user (see their responses to reviews here). Simple measures that would save their customers time and money (like a Windows app) are ignored. They act like Apple is their biggest customer (no Windows or Android support despite requests...

AP

Amanda P.

Better than any other EHR I have ever tried

I like that they pay attention to suggestions and they are VERY polite and courteous. They always have a very pleasant attitude, very optimistic and helpful. Whenever I am addressing a concern, I feel that they pay attention and try to solve it if they can. The fact that they don't have a phone number doesn't concern me. My former EHRs DID have a phone number but you would wait on hold for 10 minutes before anyone picked up and then you'd just have to leave a message for the right person to call you back. DrChrono is very quick to respond to emails and it is about the same as if you had called them. Plus, when it is in email format, you can go back and see the answer to a question anytime because it is documented in email.

Pros

To me, it is very straightforward and easy to use and navigate. If you are computer savvy, you could be up and running during the same week that you purchase this EHR. I like how the iPhone app DOES have a schedule for the day (despite what a previous review said) and it is super-easy to take pictures of insurance cards and pictures of the patient or their problems. The fact that it is cloud based is nice because I can operate it in the 35 different nursing homes where I practice. I have used 3 other EHRS before (OfficeMate, My Vision Express, and Crystal PM - for optometry) and they all had less capabilities than DrChrono. The ease of e-prescribing and e-faxing is also wonderful, and the claim filing is much easier than with the other EHRs.

Cons

There are some glitches in the software. For example, billing for a self-pay item is tedious and time consuming and if you accidentally enter the wrong amount as what the patient paid and have to change it later, the computer can't handle the change and gets everything mixed up and says the patient has a credit when the patient does not have a credit. Sometimes you just have to delete everything and start all over if you come across a billing glitch like that.

JJ

Jimmy John N.

Medical Practice,

Excellent EHR when I started my practice

Pros

I was one of the early users of drchrono EHR when I opened my neurology practice back in 2010, when it was the first truly user friendly and mobile platform to take advantage of the iPad and their features when they were recently released, and I knew then that it had a lot of potential. The ease and efficiency of making your own templates and documenting notes, etc. definitely not only made my transition...

Cons

I still wish there is a better way to allow practitioners who no longer are practicing or no longer needing to keep their drchrono EHR account active, to be able to store their records and still have access to them per medicare guidelines; I'm still having difficulty syncing them to my Box account as instructed.

HO

Hugo O.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Had a good run but it's time to move on.

Overall, my experience with DrChrono is neutral. It started off as a great product but went downhill quickly towards the end.

Pros

When we initially became a user we loved the customization of the software. Even though it was geared towards medical professionals we were able to create daily note templates, appointment templates, etc. that were unique to our chiropractic practice.

Cons

Ever since a software update earlier this year (2019 at the time of writing this) the software has been slower and floundering in certain areas (i.e. daily note generation, scheduling, and authorization tracking). In addition, the support provided by DrChrono went from being top notch to lacking in that we would wait for up 24 hours before hearing from someone only to have our issue not resolved.

We are sorry to hear about any technical problems that may have impacted your practice. Please feel free to reach back out to your account manager so that we can swiftly resolve any issues you may still be experiencing. We look forward to hearing from you!

NV

Nadeem V.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

The most extensible and best value EMR on the market

Over the last seven years, I've seen a progressive improvement to an already excellent software platform and have considered myself lucky for starting with DrChrono from the beginning. I wouldn't be able to run my office without it. I couldn't imagine my office without it.

Pros

Drchrono is so extraordinarily customizable that it can be modified for any specialty, even one as subspecialized as mine. The practice management module makes billing so easy that I can do all the billing tasks as a solo provider by myself. The API integrates into several third party apps that extend the capability of the system beyond the base system. The iPad first interface is perfect for a tech forward practice. And the price/feature ratio is the best on the market, in my opinion.

Cons

Occasional outages, worsening performance in the live claims feed for billing, and schedule performance issues recently.

BM

Bella M.

Great EHR

Our practice has been Dr. Chrono for almost 5 years, and it was one of the best changes we have ever implemented. When the physician I work told me that we were switching EHRs, I was hesitant and nervous about learning how to use a new software. To my surprise there was little to no learning curve, when it came to learning how to use Dr. Chrono. Not only was it easy for staff to learn how to use Dr....

Pros

Being able to access our schedule and patient records from anywhere on any device has made it easier to work in and out of our offices.

Cons

One feature that I would like see improved is the "send e-mail" feature. Our office likes to send e-mail newsletters to our patients about every 3-4 months. It is nice that we can use Dr. Chrono, because all of our patient's e-mail addresses and mailing preferences are already in their records. Dr. Chrono is a bit limited when it comes to adding any e-mail content beyond simple text. It would be very helpful, if this was updated and eliminate our need to have another company that we use for sending e-mail blasts.

LM

Lee M.

Simple, Powerful, Intuitive, Affordable

I am a family physician in private practice. I have been using EHRs for almost 2 decades, and DrChrono for over 5 years now. DrChrono's developers are constantly evolving and improving their product in response to customer feedback. Their customer-support and training staff are excellent. They have a great library of short "how-to" videos for self-training. DrChrono's subscription plans are very affordable, and I have found no other EHR that offers more bang for the buck.

Pros

•ease of use (intuitive user interface) •all physician and nurse documentation can be done from iPad •built-in speech-recognition •easy to customize templates •large library of templates •continually updated "how-to" videos on their YouTube channel as new features are rolled out •friendly, patient trainers and tech support staff •extensive Mayo Clinic patient education resources •optional comprehensive medical billing services

Cons

•The name. DrChrono is just embarrassing to say, and I can't make myself write it in all lowercase. •100% cloud-based (which generally is WAY BETTER than self-hosting the data, but if your ISP goes down, you are essentially back in the stone-age) •clinical decision support features are inconspicuous and difficult to navigate •knowledge-base articles are sometimes out of date •Mayo Clinic patient education resources are not well-indexed

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Very good, support can be faster, down time is a problem, what is better?

Overall, I don't think there is a platform that is a better "value" for your money from BOTH a practice management and charting prospective. If you take the time to set up your system properly, it will work very well for you. Unfortunately, with their fast growth they are having server issues that is slowing the system down at time. This should be resolved and there should be less downtime.

Pros

It is very customization, more than nearly any other option, although there are a few limitations. The clearinghouse is built into the software, which is their best feature. It is easy to use and new providers can be trained in hours (that is correct).

Cons

Billing is not as easily accessible as other areas (a few more clicks than is needed). Logs for lab specimens needs improvement. It needs to be programmed to be used (it is not like an iphone where you are good to go right out of the box). There is downtime that slows or stops practice up to 15 minutes every 3-12 weeks, which is awful. Support is not readily available as it used to be.

KL

Kevin L.

Great improvements over the last few years

I have been a drchrono customer for the last four years (really since the beginning of their time) so this review is my honest opinion of the previous years with drchrono. drchrono has really stepped up their game - I am happy I stayed with them. I use to wait days before someone would get back to me when I had an issue. I have been blown away that within the last year I haven't had to worry about...

MW

Marcus W.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Good product, hopefully working toward getting better

I have used DrChrono for nearly a year now. I appreciate its iPad functionality and its overall capacity to mesh the daily documentation experience with the billing side essentially seamlessly. I frustrate a bit over some details and features that would seem to be present and requested by the average user, but often are missing. Discussions with tech support can be challenging, as they are always...

Pros

Workflow Ease of use Ability to customize chart templates (or create your own) iPad compatibility Attractive interface

Cons

Missing/imperfect features and details Tech Support can be frustrating to engage System template glitches (syntax and flow) Obviously designed by computer programmers with little input from healthcare workers

SE

Sarah E.

DrChrono for EMR

Used this EMR at a Physical Therapy clinic. I was able to create my own template with rationales to support my billing CPT codes and the care I gave. The software is easy to customize, easy to use, and cuts down on my documentation time because there’s no superfluous information or boxes to scroll through like many types of EMR softwares have.

Pros

Customizable templates. Ease to use. Multiple functions and features to use to create a template that cuts down on documentation time while still providing all necessary aspects for solid documentation. Incorporates needs rendering or needs supervising for documentation sign-off. Auto-save feature is awesome!

Cons

Can’t think of any negative comments about the software. However the IT Support is not the most reliable or quick if and when any issues arise.

RS

Richard S.

2+ year using EHR, 1 year using billing services, and 16 years as podiatrist

In my time as a doctor and a business owner, I was switching between programs and billers trying to make my practice successful. I have been dissapointed to say the least in terms of having a program that has been easy for both my staff and me to use. I believe I am going to be a life long user of DrChrono. I had put way too much effort in trying to learn how to use other programs and not enough time...

JR

Jason R.

Medical Practice,

Best EHR for multiple practice types

Pros

This software is constantly being updated and improved, but is already head and shoulders above other platforms. After using DrChrono for a year, we spent nearly two months looking at 19 other EMR systems. None of them came close to DrChrono on usability/scalability, customizable features, and price point. The sales staff worked with us to develop a custom set up for our clinic (cash-based laser therapy...

Cons

Like any cloud-based system, there are rare times when the system slows or goes offline. This has happened twice over the last four months, but was resolved within 30 minutes each time.