Filevine Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.1/10

Reviews by rating

Overall experience with Filevine has been amazing. Everyone in the office seems to love it and it works very smoothly with what we use it for.
Everything can be customized. The text features are great too, it's always so nice to be able to read back and reference texts between the client and attorney or the client and myself.
The flexibility of Filevine to match our firm's specific needs has been wonderful. The Filevine Outlook extension is particularly helpful in aiding communications.
I made an error by entering some info into the wrong project - I was unable to delete it.
They are unresponsive to these concerns, with their standard response being that we should just do more training. The system is clumsy and the customer service is awful.
So in addition to wasting all the money we spent on training, we wasted a full day of work.

Daniel C.

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

Was exactly the fit we were looking for and seems to constantly be adding new features.

Pros

The best thing about this product is the fact that it's fully web-based. Gone are the days of needing a beefy back end and/or an SQL server to host the databases. Now all of your data is secure and in the cloud for easy access for attorneys and their staffs.

Cons

The biggest con with this software was the setup. They sold us on a seamless integration, which is never the truth, with a dedicated handler. To put it plainly, our installation was not pretty. Lots of delays and having to really push to have certain items exported from our former client management system and entered into the proper fields within theirs. Was it worth the headache of making the move, absolutely, however it could have been handled much better in my opinion.

EP

EOWYN P.

SO MUCH BETTER THAN MOST

ALTHOUGH THEY ARE VERY NICE, THEY DO NOT NEARLY HAVE ENOUGH STAFF. THEY ESPECIALLY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH KNOWLEDGEABLE STAFF. IMPLEMENTATION WAS A STRUGGLE AND I HESITATE TO ASK FOR ANYTHING BECAUSE NOTHING HAPPENS. HOWEVER THE PROGRAM ITSELF HAS BEEN GREAT NOW THAT IT IS IMPLEMENTED (IT TOOK OVER 9 MONTHS FOR US TO GET UP AND RUNNING AND COST A LOT IN ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE AND OVERTIME FOR OUR STAFF).

Pros

CUSTOMIZATION (A BIG ONE), REPORTING, EASE OF TRAINING/LEARNING FOR STAFF, KIND CUSTOMER SERVICE, SYNCING WITH OUTLOOK, DOCUMENT DRAFTING AND ORGANIZATION, STAFF PRODUCTIVITY MONITORING, DOCUMENT MERGING AND EASE OF CREATION OF TEMPLATES (ALTHOUGH MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT FULLY BEFORE YOU BEGIN OR YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE THEM OVER AND OVER).

Cons

CERTAIN THINGS DON'T MAKE SENSE AND CAN'T BE CHANGED. EX. NO SPOT FOR SUBRO LIENS IN THE DRAFT CLOSING TAB, SORTING OF REMINDERS IS OLDEST TO NEWEST AND YOU CANNOT FILTER FOR OPEN REMINDERS (SO YOU HAVE TO SCROLL FOREVER ON AN OLDER CASE TO GET TO THE OPEN REMINDERS), CAN ONLY ASSIGN ONE COST/TRUST ACCOUNT PER ORGANIZATION FOR SYNCING WITH QB (EVEN THOUGH IRS REQUIRES A SEPARATE ACCOUNT PER CLIENT...

Hi Eowyn, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry that implementation was a difficult process for your firm. We hope to continue making improvements to our implementation process so that things are smoother in the future, but we're glad to see that you're getting value now that everything is set up. We read through the issues you reported and spoke with our team. Your Customer Success Manager and our Head of Support said they had a few ideas in mind to could help. Our Director of Solutions Engineering also mentioned they'd be happy to take a look to find ways we can improve the setup or workflow. Let us know if you're interested in hopping on a call. Thanks again for being an awesome customer. We hope that we can continue to make Filevine even better for your team.

RW

Richard W.

Used other for 1-2 years

Run - Do Not Walk - From Filevine

Using Filevine was a waste of a year that I wish I could have back. A complete disaster. Make sure you have a backup of all documents you give them or upload into Filevine. My experience with Filevine is that they check ethics at the door and will say and do anything for a sale. They only hold the keys to all of your practice's information and documents, so best of luck with that.

Pros

Literally nothing. At the end of the day, Filevine was the most expensive version of Dropbox or Box - not a practice management solution - possible, so, if that is of any interest, read on.

Cons

Filevine indicated to me that they were very experienced at migrating data over from the practice management software I had been using. A YEAR AFTER retaining Filevine, it was still NOT done and was a complete disaster. If you ever want to see your documents again, run - do not walk - from Filevine. A YEAR after retaining Filevine, they still had not done any of the customization that they promised,...

Hi Richard, in looking at your experience, we'd love to address a few items. We reached out many times and were unsuccessful in reaching you, and even flew our Director of Implementation to San Diego to help you design your template to fit your needs. The visit was pre-planned and confirmed with you, but we are sorry if it still seemed a surprise. These efforts, along with many trainings and hours...

JH

Jessica H.

Overall Thus Far...

I really enjoyed the training. I'm looking forward to learning more about utilizing FV to its full potential, tips and tricks to help in customizing our firms FV to make it work more conveniently and effectively for our team and our firm.

Pros

FV seems very user friendly and efficient. So many capabilities allowing you to stay w/i FV and ie share folders, send out for electronic signature, PDF edit, combine, etc. All really cool features to be more effective and efficient.

Cons

Surprised that when saving a document into a companion case that is already linked to the primary case that you would have to search each case to also "copy" the document there as well instead of a "copy to all companions" option. Like you can save a "note" across the board to all companions attached.

MR

Mariel R.

The Best!

I lover it!

Pros

I love how friendly usage this program is! Very up to date, very new and fresh! I will recommend it to anyone with my eyes closed.

Cons

I wish we were able to view CDs like MRIs, X-rays and etc.

JW

Jerry W.

Functional and Reliable

The system has been very beneficial for our purposes. We have not fully implemented and utilized the billing and settlement features.

Pros

The Filevine Software was integrated into our law practice with all the modifications we needed. It provides features that allow us to maintain all our client information in one system with designated users. This software even allows us to fax, text and receive messages from clients, providers and others through our mailroom feature. It is truly an innovative expandable package with good technical support for any purpose.

Cons

Integration into our business was an extended process requiring our personal involvement. The least likeable feature thus far is the import of external files from outside the system.

SM

Savannah M.

Office Manager Review

I think Filevine is an amazing product and we are all extremely happy. While there are definitely some features that we would like to see added and integrations that would be helpful, we wouldn't think of switching to anything else.

Pros

Filevine is so user friendly! It is easy to teach to new employees and really does a great job at keeping the staff on track! I love the Taskflow and our ability to customize it to fit our systems.

Cons

I am not a big fan of the Organization of documents. Maybe our firm just needs some training on how to make this work for us, but so far it is not helpful.

AD

Adam D.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Great software; billing needs help

FileVine has been a vital addition to our company and we love it!

Pros

The ease of use is by far the nicest aspect of the software. I also like how frequently the product is improved and new features are added.

Cons

As a law firm, the billing, timekeeping, and invoicing could use more flexibility like the rest of the software; i.e. being able to export as an excel spreadsheet or word document; allow for more malleability with tracking dollars and hours and utilizing those factors in reporting; being able to view by hours or by dollars. Etc.

AC

Ann C.

Great case mgmt. software

Pros

Filevine has made a huge difference in our law firm, and has helped us tremendously. It's very easy to use. Has amazing features. It comes in handy when you're not close to a computer you could just log on in your phone.

Cons

To be honest I haven't encountered any difficulties throughout the time we have been using this case mgmt. software.

KB

Krista B.

Filevine - The perfect "virtual" Case File

Very satisfied.

Pros

So easy to navigate throughout. VERY customizable per legal field. Integrates wonderfully between other legal platforms.

Cons

Updates are often hard to adjust to after we conform our process and procedures around the features of Filevine.

GW

Ginny W.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

BUYER BEWARE - FALSE, MISLEADING STATEMENTS TO GET CUSTOMER TO PAY & SIGN FOR 3 YEARS

We had a terrible experience with Filevine. The representatives are outright dishonest and lying to the customer just to make the sale. After countless hours of training we were told their forms software was a link to a California Judicial Council forms website. We were going to use the software for forms and billing. We tried to terminate the contract during the training phase within the first few months because the software is significantly deficient and Filevine had outright misrepresented its capabilities. They refused to terminate the contract initially and then agreed to terminate contract but kept our money.

Pros

Billing software was easy to use. Customer service was good until a conflict arose due to Filevine's major misrepresentations to get us to sign contract based on false statements. Their demeanor changed once contract termination was requested based upon their fraudulent conduct.

Cons

Does not have promised forms software which was one of the primary reasons we signed the contract.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Filevine did not meet your expectations. We do our best to inform our clients and provide them with information to make the best decision for their firm in their purchase. We do wish to reach an amicable solution and continue to stand ready to work through this.

ER

Efrain R.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

A good all around product but needs some more work.

Overall it's better than most software I've tested/demo, but pricing is a bit out of tune with smaller firms.

Pros

The customization and ability to control many aspects of the projects from top to bottom.

Cons

There are many hurdles to get from point A to B when the idea isn't implemented into the software. Also, the way you make everything a la cart for services.

GC

Gloria C.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

Best Case Management System

I enjoy using Filevine. It has allowed for our office to become really productive.

Pros

What I like the most about this software is the bcc email address associated with each project. I can bcc the filevine project and it will appear in the activity for that project.

Cons

I think I need more involvement in what roles actually do for our firm.

TM

Timothy M.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

Cutting edge document management software

It's been much easier to save docs, store docs, and also retrieve files thru the search engine. The activity feed is a must have feature and is simple to add. I also love the ability to hashtag certain docs with passwords such as for medical records and the various views you can see docs in (one page, side by side, etc.) Our overall experience has been excellent, looking forward to continuing improvements and continuing to master the software.

Pros

The product was easy to use and was installed and integrated with the assistance of our IT professional. The features I find most impactful are the search capabilities between individual client folders, the ability to see multiples calendars at once without overlapping. I also love the activity feed to post and get up to date on the latest events in every case without having to search endless folders and screens. I could go on and on but it's also very simple to upload docs as it's a simple drag and drop from anywhere on your PC directly into the specific client folder you need.

Cons

The one thing I continually don't like is when I open a client folder, I'm unable to sort the documents in date order. At times, I need to go back to a certain date and the docs don't sort in that fashion or stay in any sort of order. I like how the docs tend to group by how you name them, but would love to see a date sort added.

MT

Michael T.

Used other for less than 6 months

Horrible Waste of Money

See above. The entire experience was awful.

Pros

The option to turn on a texting feature for a matter was nice. Of course, the text would end up in a spot of the file that was unhelpful.

Cons

My experience with Filevine has been atrocious. It started with what can only be described as deliberate misrepresentations during the sales process. They do a demo of a product and then you get your product and it's nothing like what they promised. Here's a glaring example: I go into the system to start keeping time and send out invoices and I can't get into the billing section. When I report the...

Hi Michael, Filevine is invested in long term partnerships. Communication is important and it appears that the understanding between the parties was not clear. We do want to take the opportunity to address your concerns. I am aware of the Training you are referring to and it is not the full training our clients receive, rest assured we are happy to ensure that happens at your convenience. As for the functionality of our billing, and email features, we have some exciting releases in the near future and are continuing to release advancements. We would encourage a conversation and the opportunity to make things right. Thank you for your feedback, it helps us improve our communications and the future experience of our clients.

DC

Deborah C.

Law Practice, 51-200 employees

Great Software for Case Management

Overall, I think Filevine is a great program. I love handling files digitally. I have worked with other programs and this is by far my favorite. I think since we started using Filevine that our cases are moving more smoothly.

Pros

There are several features I like about Filevine. First, I really like the daily feed which tells me what is due, who is working on the tasks, and if the tasks is accomplished. Secondly, I like the ability to pull up a case and see exactly what is going on. The activity feed is awesome. I like being able to get a complete view of the medical expenses and providers.

Cons

I wish the system captured injuries differently. I would like to see a tab just for injuries which would allow for notes from dr's records, client communication, etc. Also I would like to see a "planning" tab which would allow the attorney and paralegal to indicate plans for handling the case and the client.

KK

Kevin K.

Efficiency

I am able to manage more cases as an attorney because of this software and live a less stressful life.

Pros

I like the way this softwares allows you to pull reports to your liking and allows you to cutimize the reports. I am a big fan of the mobile app. Simply things like being able to text from the software is a huge help and lastly the interface is amazing.

Cons

I would like it to be easier to edit documents right from FV , but maybe there is a way and I am not sure of it.

SD

Scott D.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Not ready for prime time

Its as shame because Filevine could truly be great. But they do not seem to focus on meeting their customers needs.

Pros

Filevine is very customizable. It is very easy to ad documents to the system from outside sources and its reporting capabilities are pretty good.

Cons

The customer service is useless. They will not talk with you. You have to send them a detailed message and then they eventually respond with a vague response that does not address the problem. Load time to view documents is extremely slow. They refuse to connect with third party PDF software so they can make more money charging you for their clunky PDF software that does not work. Using their document assembly system is cumbersome because they do not have merge fields. It is extremely difficult to customize the system. There is more but there is not enough space to describe all the cons.

AV

Aneta V.

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

Thrilled user

Overall experience has been amazing. I would suggest that everyone use this program. you can manipulate it to do anything that you need it to do.

Pros

There is nothing NOT to like about Filevine. It is user friendly, easy to use, convenient, simple.

Cons

There isn't anything i can say that i liked least about FV.

BH

Ben H.

I love Filevine!

My overall experience with the system is fantastic and it's helped our firm become light years more efficient than my previous firm.

Pros

I love the organization of case notes, text to client, emails to and from the file, organization of meds, doc gen of pleadings and discovery, and much more.

Cons

It takes some time to customize it to your specific firm needs.

CL

Cassidy L.

Filevine

So far, so good. I am hoping that my DOMO rep reaches out soon.

Pros

I like the customization. Also like the faxing directly from the system.

Cons

Implementation was a long process. Would have preferred instruction on how to customize and edit the software first. Felt like the meetings were sometimes a waste.

NS

Nicole S.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

This software checks all the important boxes for case management and document management!

Our business runs more efficiently with the use of this software. While the cost is higher than some alternatives, we couldn't find anything else like it on the market.

Pros

This is an intuitive software that allows for great customization. It's as good as your team makes it with ongoing upgrades released regularly.

Cons

PDF editing could be better with improved features and more intuitive menu. The calendar syncing to Outlook still needs improving.

MS

Mitchell S.

Filevine for Case Management

Once you figure out how to best use Filevine for your particular business I feel this to be a great case management product. Would highly recommend.

Pros

Purchased product in December 2018. Once it was determined how best to utilize Filevine has become indispensable. User friendly. Checks all the boxes for what we had hoped it would accomplish for our firm.

Cons

The only negative to speak of was the rollout itself. Not alot of guidance back when we purchased the product. Finding our way around Filevine for implementation was pretty much left to us.

JL

Jane L.

Filevine is the Bomb Diggity

It is awesome and perfect! We love it!

Pros

The integration - being able to fax, save as a PDF, preview and rename documents, & send secure documents (such as contracts via Vinesign) directly from the case is amazing and saves me more time than I could have ever imagined. Not to even mention texting directly from the case and a secure email address that delivers right to the case, and settin gup the TASK list... Filevine has become part of my daily life - I come from a Needles CMS platform and Filevine was so easy to learn!

Cons

Probably the Mailroom - not because of anything you guys did or did not so, but because it's always full! :)

AE

Ana E.

Filevine Review

Definitely useful and great to use.

Pros

Everything is all together and easy to find. Tasks are always updated and good to keep up with.

Cons

There are a lot of days with it going down and unusable, and there are a few days that there are lags or issues. But it is getting worked on.