Basecamp Logo

Basecamp

Flexible project management & team communication tool

Basecamp Reviews

4.4

14.4K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.01/10

Reviews by rating

Our company likes the ability to share content with the entire team no matter where anyone is in the world. Simple secure login from any computer and poof instant content for all to read & share.
Basecamp is a professional software, but I like its simplicity. It is very very nice to connect with.
I like this app because it is user friendly which is important but most important is the pricing.
I believe the roll out of this new website and way of tracking our progress was poor and has cause a lot of frustration, discouragement and even loss of membership for our older members.
At times it can get confusing and files seem to get lost in the shuffle.
You know how you have to have check your email and phone regularly. You can just add Basecamp to the list, but it's worse, because at least you get notified of emails.

14,435 reviews

Jakob B.

International Development Manager

Sports, 11-50 employees

Not as flashy but a great solution for a specific type of organization

Transcript

Jake: Hi, I'm Jake. I work for an events company and I do international development, and I give Basecamp...

Troy H.

Founder at SoTellUs

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

We use it every day!

Transcript

Troy H.: Hey, my name is Troy, and I am the owner of a software company. I would give Basecamp a five...

Faisal Faruque R.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Basecamp made managing my team members easier than ever!

You can call it the Jack of All Trades. Before using Basecamp I had to use a lot of apps for different purposes. For example, one to-do app, another file-sharing app, another messaging app, and so on. It hampered my productivity. But luckily I found Basecamp and this thing got me covered. Now I can have fewer meetings with my team members and save time to do something productive. The integration with other app made it the real hero. I can automate my tasks on Basecamp by using popular integration services and those work seamlessly with Basecamp.

Pros

I have been using Basecamp for a while now. I am genuinely in love with the overall user interface of this platform. It is very easy to use and intuitive. The free plan of the Basecamp is quite generous and it is enough for most of the users. This is why I love this tool so much. But there are some other features that are really helping me to manage my remote team. I can easily assign tasks with deadlines. The email notification system and the mobile app added to the overall value of this tool. I observed that it loads faster on any device with a slower internet connection. This is why my team members even from countries with slow internet can easily access this tool. Overall, the experience is top-notch and I recommend everyone to use this tool.

Cons

There is nothing that I hate about this product. But I think the amazing developer team behind this tool can bring some improvements to the existing features. The price for the Business Plan is quite affordable for large teams. But if they can bring some affordable paid plan for the individual users it would be so much helpful.

Curt C.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Basecamp helps us streamline project/account management and increase our efficiency

Overall, we're very happy here at my startup marketing agency, HypeLife Brands, with Basecamp...we've been using it for a VERY long time and haven't looked back or considered anything else really. I think the 37Signals team has done a great job with the product from the beginning.

Pros

The ability to manage a team, often in multiple locales, especially in the days of COVID now, much easier than any other alternative out there.

Cons

Sometimes a conversation for tasks becomes non-linear though Basecamp is setup in a linear fashion, so it can be a bit tricky to manage that without the ability to thread comments, but this is more of an advanced user need I think :-)

RM

Regina M.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

Adequate, better than nothing

Adequate, at best. Better than nothing. More work than it should be, after 5 years of use. I'm not sure this is the best product for as many users and as many projects as we have... maybe ok for a handful of users/customers and 5-10 projects at a time.

Pros

It's better than an excel spreadsheet. I consider it to be a 'starter' PMS. Sort of like a starter home, or first car (if you're parents aren't rich).

Cons

None of our users can use it properly no matter how many times I instruct them, send them cheat sheets, walk them through the process, justify my requirements for how to use it properly. There's too many places for users to put things, too many ways to make it confusing. Nobody seems to be able to find a thread to continue a conversation, and they just keep starting new messages for everything. If...

SR

Shri Ram V.

Computer Software, self-employed

Basecamp Review

Using Basecamp has been a really fruitful experience. It made working on remote projects easier and more productive for us, as there were no communication problems. Basecamp provides a shared dashboard that displays all project details, including plans and progress, which further aids in keeping us all in the loop regarding the project activity.

Pros

Basecamp provides a really helpful group chat feature that lets us communicate in real time, no matter where we are in the world. This enables us to have extremely fruitful conversations, particularly while working remotely, which produces outcomes that are just as good as those obtained when working on-site. It gives us access to a shared dashboard where we can monitor the work that has already been completed, the work that is scheduled, and how our job is to be completed. It's simple and extremely safe to share files and other materials.

Cons

Nothing about Basecamp bothers me the least, primarily since everything about it has been working really well.

Nichole P.

Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 employees

The best all in one HQ for remote teams

Overall, I love the way it feels like a virtual headquarters for your company where employees can chat, stay up to date with projects, and post all related docs and files, and integrate schedules, but in order to get the best experience with running an office remotely there is such limitation and little customization available. This is a great start, but you still need to use other tools to get a comprehensive set of tools to run and operate your business.

Pros

I love the fact that basecamp feels like a virtual office. The dashboard looks like virtual rooms that one can enter depending on the department you want to access. Basecamp has many features to make it feel like you're at the office like the different departments with access to files, chat, project management , to-do's, groups, and a link to schedule your time and tasks and keep track of meetings.

Cons

There is very little customization that can be done besides adding a company logo, and setting up your departments, groups and selecting which features to incorporate into the department tiles. I would love to be able to custom colorize the look and feel to make it more unique and visual, but there are limitations. Each tile that can be used for departments or projects, also have very little room for customization and you're not able to create any unique features besides your standard to dos, schedule, chat, and files.

Ryan W.

Marketing and Advertising, 501-1,000 employees

Basecamp allows me to track my team's progress easily and efficiently

I've used Basecamp for my team for several years now. The communications solutions, file management services and archival features are all excellent. As an administrator and user, I highly recommend Basecamp for any organization with several ongoing and simultaneous projects.

Pros

Basecamp is a project management solution that allows me to stay on top of my team's projects with ease. Projects can be categorized and organized so that only members working on a particular project are exposed to the communications and back and forth. We use Basecamp as our primary solution because it is easy to implement and onboard, simple to use and has a robust set of features that are among the best in the industry for what we need.

Cons

My only complaint is that the different versions of Basecamp have different features. For example, the version we use does not allow for time tracking. While this is not necessary, as we don't bill out by the quarter hour, it would be a nice feature that would allow me to better understand how long certain tasks take my team members. If Basecamp had universal features across all versions, this would be a miracle solution.

HL

Haleema L.

Human Resources, self-employed

Basecamp usage from a freelancer's perspective

Excellent. Would highly recommend it to other freelancers like myself.

Pros

It had a simple UI which was easy to use and always on point. It did not have any fluff and it did not require me to spend an additional 5 minutes to interpret each page. It was also easier for my clients from smaller towns (who were not as tech friendly) to adopt to.

Cons

The page would look cluttered at times when it had too many tasks and schedules put together. For someone like me who puts a high priority on UI, this was not very appealing. Incorporating grids/tabular format could have made it appear more organized.

SS

Sam S.

Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

Great for some users

Pros

I liked the simple design and functionality. The software works how it is supposed to and isn't trying to be more than exactly what it is.

Cons

If just wasn't at good at some of the things it did than other specialized tools. It wasn't as good as Slack at chat and async collaboration in chat. It wasn't as good at task management as Trello. It could do those things, but our team just preferred having multiple more specialized/feature-rich tools.

KS

Kristina S.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Basecamp

My experience has been a good one with it.

Pros

I really like that I am able to communicate with all of the other staff member easily and and can go back on that communication to see what was said if I need to.

Cons

There's not much I don't like, overall it is a great app

John Frank R.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Basecamp, Great for creatives

I did like the system for communicating with creatives on building a new website, however, other software has come out that seems to flow better.

Pros

I liked the ability communicate with our design team using this software.

Cons

It lacked project management and task assigning in terms of notifications and ease of use.

KB

Kate B.

Internet, 201-500 employees

Easy, Affordable Project Management for Your Entire Team

Since we started using Basecamp, our project intake process has become much more organized and it's way easier to see what everyone has on their plate. It's also helped us get approval from key stakeholders since everyone at every step of every project has to-dos assigned to them. I also love the integrations. We sync with Everhour so we can keep track of exactly how long it takes to complete each step of each project, which has helped us become more efficient and also see where we're spending our time.

Pros

I love how intuitive Basecamp is to use and how easy it is to keep track of upcoming projects and set priorities. I'm new to project management and it's been so easy to set up every project and teach new employees how to navigate the system. You can set different projects for different teams and even invite clients to view projects. Plus, you don't have a limited number of seats so everyone in our organization can access it without us needing to purchase anything additional.

Cons

There are too many places to communicate within Basecamp so it's important that you have a clear process. You can comment on an overall project thread, a group and in each individual to-do so sometimes it's hard to tell where a comment is located. However, it does show you which to-dos have comments within them and there are easy-access notifications at the top of your screen at all times so as long as comments are recent, they're easy to find.

EG

Ellie G.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

A Really Good Project Management Tool!

Bringing Basecamp into the organization wasn’t difficult. The system was easy and simple to integrate. My team loves it! We hare very satisfied with Basecamp.

Pros

Prior to basecamp, my organization was unorganized and working organically, there was no structure or timelines to our projects. Basecamp brought all that and MORE! It’s so simple to use and assign team members the tasks. It has a great user interface structure. There’s not a day that goes by where I’m not on Basecamp. It made such a positive impact in my organization!

Cons

When it comes to tracking, Basecamp doesn’t give a good overview of this. You need to consistent check what tasks have been completed and which ones aren’t. I hope they make an improvement on the Gantt Charts along with full project reports!

CC

Clayton C.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Hands-down my favorite project management software

I really love Basecamp. It is simple, powerful, and gets out of your way so you can get work done. It has replaced about three other apps (including Slack) for our team. In Basecamp communication is now centered on getting things done and improving our products versus just chatting. There is an ideology to understand when using Basecamp but if you can adopt that you will be more productive and less stressed about getting work done.

Pros

Very affordable especially considering how many other solutions it replaces. Very clean minimal interface that gets out of your way and lets you get work done. Very fast and reliable. The mobile app is fantastic as well.

Cons

There is a little bit of a learning curve with the single page interface but that is be design.

SR

Sridhar R.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Decent project management tool for small teams!

We started Basecamp in v2 and still using it for smaller internal projects. Basecamp does a lot good when you are working with smaller simple focused projects which are run individually. Most of our clients are now demanding to be in Slack or MS Teams as part of collaboration so we have to move to newer tools and apps as required by clients. As part of 2020/2021 vision, we are now targeting to move all our artifacts and teams to Slack or MS Teams and service most of our collaboration/discussion/file sharing

Pros

The most important and stand out feature of the product is the fixed pricing. Its use all you can and no per user seating billing makes it absolutely a product for internal smaller teams. We have used this product for little over 2 years now and is used by various teams inside the company. With basic features like tasks, calendar, file sharing, we found it relatively smaller projects which does not involve too many requirement changes or too much of pre-start documentation required.

Cons

Handling large multiple projects, tracking each project activities, and above all tracking individual contractors work/ timesheet tracking has been a pain point with this product for us. Check-ins work great for a product company but since ours is a technology services projects where work really has to be tracked and detailed at most levels has been a challenge for us. Most of our clients are already on or they prefer/recommend apps from slack and MS Teams and demand to use basecamp in their ecosystem is not very in demand for us.

ER

Evan R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Unburden your Inbox!

I encourage you and your team at least test this system. If you find yourself sorting through constant emails to find where you left off on a project- this is for you! For our team, this dissipates stress in the workplace and I have found it permit clearer communication across departments, providing for an amplified experience when teams meet in person- more productive meetings.

Pros

As a non-profit end-user, there are multiple projects I will have on my plate on any given day. In 2020 alone, I was managing the implementation of database training, following-up with Q&A from my colleagues while also navigating new tech integrations for our CRM. With so many moving parts coupled with a shift to heavy remote work, Basecamp provided an ease in transition, permitting us to keep pace with our current systems so that we would not lose the full measure of impact we have on providing aid to at-risk children during the pandemic. In short- less clutter in your standard email inbox and rapid collaboration within secure channels.

Cons

You do not have the ability to archive content, which can make sorting difficult if you are use to this dynamic in say Gmail.

MH

Michael H.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Basecamp is the best tool for simple to do list.

I have left basecamp and went to Teamwork.com, after a while, returned to basecamp. I have left basecamp and went to Monday.com, after a while returned to basecamp. That shouls tell you something.

Pros

I think the simplicity of basecamp is wonderful. Almost everyone can ue basecamp, take a new user and throw them into Monday.com or TeamWork.com and they will get lost and faiil. But with Basecamp, it is so easy and intuitive, everyone succeeds!

Cons

Reporting especially email reporting is very weak. also, printing can be improved greratly.

Russell S P.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Great idea for team management!

Allows my team to stay organized, communicate effectively, and accomplish tasks all from one platform!

Pros

Basecamp is classified as a project management platform, but I see it as more than that. It's a digital space that enables your team to all be on the same page and up-to-date. Here are some things I love about that platform: - It has a very simple design and feel. It's extremely "boiled down" and there's no reason to worry about less techy folks getting lost. It's easy to learn to use and navigate...

Cons

Basecamp is not too technical, it feels human-friendly! But because of this, you do occasionally find yourself looking for something more, a feature that would really be helpful. For example, the to do lists could be a little more robust (graphics, attachments, etc.). Another idea would be to add a bit of customization. I understand the desire to maintain simplicity, but just the ability to add your brand would be a nice feature or even change the color designs. Not crucial, but would be nice.

WS

Walter S.

Wholesale, 11-50 employees

Organizational Tool - but not export or import friendly

Overall, Basecamp is a good solution easy to manage but its inability to export into different formats, which its competitors do provide, might cause most of their users to switch to another platform, like us. Apart from the issue highlighted above, I think basecamp is a great tool to add, update, notify and manage any task, be it tech-related or sales related. As I have been through technical support, sales and then e-commerce sales of my company I think this tool would be very handy.

Pros

It is easy to enter, search and assign tasks in this online tool. As an E-Commerce Manager, I find it easy to enter our online order information, keep track of them with due dates, assign tasks to my team members and update our higher management on the goals and their progress.

Cons

The Export feature of this online tool is the worst!! I have tried contacting their support about exporting my tasks to excel or CSV format and they informed me that they do not have that option. We receive over 200 to 600 + orders a month which we have to keep track of, this helps us do that, but when our account manager asks me to get him details of orders then my life goes to hell. It takes me 2-4...

TT

Tamara T.

Public Relations and Communications, 10,001+ employees

Basecamp - Great for young people, not user friendly for older generations

I had to give a presentation on Toastmaster's Pathways and navigating to and through Basecamp and I realized we are not utilizing a lot of the great features Basecamp offers. Again, a lot of the members I've spoken with (both local and international) all say the same thing, that it's confusing to navigate through, the look of the website changed and the headers are confusing. The word Basecamp didn't...

Pros

I use this software for my Toastmaster's Club and it has a lot of great features that aren't being utilized because of the confusion of maneuvering through it. I can: leave feedback or ask for feedback from other members, track my progress via pie charts, access multimedia learning materials easily, store documents related to my project for historic record or for easy recall.

Cons

Toastmaster's is an world renown organization that has a very even mix of younger and older or retired members; the oldest member in my club is 92 years old. As of June this year, everyone was required to get a Pathways account and log into their Base Camp. I am one of the younger members (39 years old) and even I didn't find Basecamp to be clear cut or intuitive and was frustrated. It got so bad,...

Higher Education, 10,001+ employees

Great for Project Management

Love basecamp. Easiest software to use to project manage. We use this every single day. Don't foresee that changing anytime soon!

Pros

Such an easy way to communicate with teammates on a project, track our progress, share files, and project manage. We also use the basecamp calendar to track all of our marketing emails, social media ads/posts, print marketing, and events. It allows for easy "Traffic control" of marketing efforts. I also love that when you want to communicate on a project/task, you may have for example 10 teammates on the project but you can pick for your email notification of the new message/post to only go to specific individuals among those 10 included so it still tracks the conversation but only notifies those needed without overwhelming others with tons of email notifications.

Cons

Honestly nothing. This software has so much to offer and they have amazing notifications and tutorials that are 5min or less to learn more to better project manage and take advantage of everything it has to offer. If anything (and to be honest - perhaps they have it and i just dont realize), it would be great to have a quick way to review marketing pieces and comment on needed updates/changes made to a document vs. as almost like a "chat"... we separately use inmotion to review marketing pieces while also using basecamp to project manage.

yk

yogendra kumar s.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Basecamp is an online collaboration app.It is Very user friendly Project management software.

One unique feature in Basecamp is Automatic Check-ins. Automatic Check-ins ask team members to essentially submit a short report answering a question, like "What are your priorities this week?" or "How many attendees have enrolled in the conference so far?" on a recurring basis that you (or the team lead) enters. The options are highly customizable, so you can ask the same question every Friday in...

Pros

It has very simple interface so I can easky understand.Graphics of this software is too good.It is effective software to manage projects.Take less effort to setup this software.I like that Basecamp takes mere minutes to set up. On-screen tutorials walk you through the process with clear and concise pointers. During the setup, Basecamp suggests things you might need to add to your account, such as an...

Cons

Basecamp offers several ways for people to collaborate with one another. Within each team or project are a message board, task list, schedule (for events), and place to upload shared files. While the message board helps for keeping track of ongoing notes and conversations about the overview of a project, you might also need to ask colleagues more pointed or more general questions that don't belong on the board for all to see. For that, there's Campfire, Basecamp's chat room.

Joel T.

201-500 employees

Basecamp is simply the best at what they do. Easy to use, logically designed, totally in love!!!

Pros

It's simple interface makes managing multiple projects a dream. As a Marketing Manager, I'm over seeing everything from product launch to creative development. I have a larger team working on a broad array of projects. Basecamp let's me go in, add tasks, easily check progress and get updated on everything in a manner of minutes. If I let my notifications go untouched for most of the day, Basecamp is...

Cons

Basecamp has taken a minimalist approach to software design and as a project management tool. In some cases, I do find myself wishing for certain features. Ultimately, I've tried other software and though they may do what Basecamp does while also including those other features, Basecamp is simply the best at what they do, even without the other features, so I have never considered switching.

KS

Kim S.

Events Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used other for 2+ years

I have used Basecemp to communicate with independent contractors, internal creative team and clients

Keeping all creative edits, documents, client information in one place was great. It was very organized and helped me to be organized and retrace my steps when needed.

Pros

I mainly used this product when I was working in advertising but we still use it for the design of our program each year with our Communications team. You can create projects and determine who can see them - so, for example, I have a client (X) and my internal team (Y) and independent contractors (Z) for Project A. I can have an ongoing project named Client X where I've added all my internal resources...

Cons

When I was in advertising, the main issue I noticed was that people who don't take the time to learn how to use Basecamp are it's biggest downfall. For example, we have everything from Account Managers who respond via email (which works, but inserts their signature unnecessarily into the comment every time) to creatives who create a new thread everytime they have an update to a project, which defeats...

Gurbir Singh S.

51-200 employees

Amazing Project Management Tool

Proper management of projects in my company. Upto date client reviews/feedbacks and more.

Pros

I am using Basecamp since 2014. One of my friend from Dubai introduced Basecamp to me. It's simple and ready to use. No puzzles to do settings. Simple team member invitation. Simple client invitation. Create project easy. Tagging teammate is an awesome feature. we can simply tag our teammate in comments, to-do items, team chat, personal chat etc same as we do on Facebook. We can appreciate someone...

Cons

Ammm.... Truly I have nothing which I like least about the Basecamp. Yea, more features can be added. Like invoicing, proposals, lead management and few other services. Because we have to find other vendos for all these services. It's complex to manage multiple vendors. Oxibase Software is one in all. They have invoicing, lead management, proposals, payment collections, project management, HR all in one. So, I would suggest basecamp to include some more features in it so that we don't look for other softwares :)

Subarna D.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Simply the best Project management tool

In our company, Basecamp is mostly used as a project management tool that helps us to track our progress smoothly. It makes overall team collaboration effective and members can express themselves better.

Pros

One fantastic aspect of Basecamp is that you can just simply make your workgroups for different teams and its very effective and consistent with how you can communicate with other team memebers. You can have effective interactions and work can be allocated efficiently. It's incredibly beneficial for collaborating with your team

Cons

Because of how responsive the customer support service through the contact us they've responded very rapidly. Every feature that is offered is simple to utilize. I have only seen Basecamp's positive aspects and I haven't yet seen any drawbacks.