Float Logo

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

Float Reviews

4.5

1.5K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.31/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

monday-com

Brilliant solution to allow me to manage my project resources and monitor their weekly/monthly/quarterly allocation with good reporting.
Float is super easy to use and is a perfect fit for what I use it for, which is mostly planning resources and allocating tasks for high collaboration digital projects.
Quick and responsive interface with easy filtering. All of these are great improvments form our previus solution.
I get very disoriented scroll in two dimensions through the enormous grid, it can be confusing search through such a large spread of information.
Only downside is that I'm unable to brand it up a bit with our company logo's/colours.
It's annoying when trying to put half day tasks. Sometimes the cursor from neutral turns into cursor of completion or deletion without warning.

1,597 reviews

Valerie H.

Project Manager

Design, 11-50 employees

Overall Good Product

Transcript

Valerie H: Hi, my name is Val. I work for a digital transformation agency called Mighty Citizen and my...

PK

Peter K.

Projectmanager

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Easy Ressource Planning Tool

Transcript

Peter K.: Hi, my name is Peter. I'm a project manager, and I would grade Float five from five stars....

Kavindu Githsara K.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Keep Your Business Afloat

Overall, I would recommend Float as a useful tool for managing cash flow and making financial decisions. Its intuitive interface, powerful scenario feature, and the ability to link to existing accounting software make it a helpful addition to any business’s financial toolkit. However, the cost may be a barrier for some businesses, so it’s important to carefully evaluate the pricing plans before committing to the software.

Pros

Float is a cloud-based cash flow forecasting and management software designed for small and medium-sized businesses. As a user of Float, I find the software to be a helpful tool for managing cash flow and making financial decisions. One of the primary benefits of using Float is the ability to visualize future cash flow, which is useful for planning and forecasting. One of the key advantages of Float...

Cons

One of the potential downsides of using Float is that the software can be expensive, particularly for small businesses. The pricing plans are based on the number of cash flow forecasts that you need to create, and this can add up quickly.

RB

Roger B.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Development company taking next steps in project management

A very positive experience allowing the company I work for to get better more accurate project plans and financial reports.

Pros

The ease of use as a one stop shop, browser based to allow all the development team (and subsiduary but linked teams) to see important dates like dev complete, bug fix windows, cert windows and release dates. The ability to quickly block out time for features and projects. The ability to add notes and details to tasks. Fully fleshed out holiday and time off structure. Robust financial reports possible with very high degree of accuracy for budget per project, per quarter, per annum. We used to get by with using Excel, we invested in Float and it has taken the companies' project planning to the next step. I would recommend Float for small to mid sized companies definitely, it is a great product boost and good way of reporting and seeing issues early.

Cons

it does not allow you to easily move a bunch of small tasks along in the timeline, that's my only main gripe, you can't band box select you have to shift select. Everything else is intuitive and easy.

PB

Paul B.

Float for time management

Problematic - not 100% sure this is floats problem, as it seems designed for the restaurant/service industry, and we are more a agency/service business.

Pros

I like the fact you can filter and search by people and/or project

Cons

I don't like that you cannot see 3months in advance on 1 screen. It's still laggy when scrolling, we have 70 people timesheeted and we have project managers filling this in, they find it cumbersome. The repeating tasks are not well formed, as in if you set a repeating weekly task then want to edit one week to be say 3 days, it won't let you do it. We have other awkward things around adding contractors or people leaving jobs, it would be nice if Float had more sample data as I think sometimes we uncover usecases they haven't tested for - atleast tested the UX for. I'd love it to improve, as the last speed improvement they did was a step in the right direction, but more customisation is needed.

AB

Agata B.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Great tool for planning of a numerous team

Pros

It gives the possibility to use it with a low or high level of detail of scheduling. A lot of possibilities and very flexible tool.

Cons

I don't have any issue with the product. What I like least about using Float is that not every member of the team is committed in using it so we can have some misunderstandings because for instance the colleague schedule some time-off on Google calendar but then forget to report it also in Float.

CG

Colby G.

Construction, 51-200 employees

A fantastic, easy to use software that gets the job done

Pros

The simplicity of Float was what sold it for us. As a company with around 90 very busy engineers and designers, entering workload data needed to take less than 5 minutes. With Float we can do this. Once all the data is in Float, managers can easily see who needs more work and who is overloaded. Support is also fantastic. The instant message service on the website always gets a fast response.

Cons

No major issues. If I had to nitpick, I had to create a workaround to allow all employees to be able to automatically see every project in the system sithout assigning it to them. To do this I had to make every user an admin. But this works fine.

AS

Alain S.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

The best tool for our purpose, with some issues

Pros

It gives a good overview over the planned projects, even if there are many employees in different teams. The planning, time tracking and reporting features seem to work in a stable manner. Sorting and filtering is done really well.

Cons

There are some UX problems which are just plain weird. Scheduling time for an employee is tedious because the planned time affects the duration and vice-versa. We do our planning on a weekly basis instead of day-to-day, so we're often entering time planned like 0.4h/day which is more complicated than we would like it to be. There are some weird issues with the API as well, where some fields are not being applied correctly, or behavior changes with updates.

Martijn D.

Design, 1-10 employees

Great tool!

Overall we love to use float. We especially like the time logging features.

Pros

The interface has a great overview. Adding projects and tasks is intuitive and the colours make every tasks and project stand out. Logging time is really easy. We were not interested in a "log-per-minute" type of application but rather one where you can just log bigger blocks. Float helped us plan and log our time better.

Cons

Planning a project is not super extensive. Float has some tools but the tools are a bit limited. The time tracking feature is the feature we use the most, it is a shame that is not available separately.

Thanks for your review, Martijn! Excellent that Float is helping you plan and track your time better. We have some exciting new time tracking features coming soon, stay tuned!

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees

Great tool for roadmapping personal/team schedules

It has definitely been a step in the right direction for our business using float and has a better visual to some alternatives such as monday.com.

Pros

It is easy to see what myself and my colleagues have got scheduled to help make sure that resources are managed effectively.

Cons

There is not much integration with other applications that we use which means at the moment it is a stand alone product that we use in our business. If there was more integration then we would be able to utilise the functionality more effectively.

Hi, Thanks for your review! You can check out Floats direct integrations, including a Slack notification app, on our website here, https://www.float.com/integrations. We welcome hearing any other integration requests you have. Please email support@float.com. Cheers, Siobhan

Pauline I.

Good ressource management software

Pros

It's a good software for scheduling people's time on projects, seeing at a glance who is available and when, and who is working on each project. We can easily categorise people into teams, roles etc and then do quick searches. It's also really easy for every employee to log their time spent on projects so that we know what to invoice to clients.

Cons

It's not great for managing the budget of a project: the reports are really limited so you have to do a csv export if you want to do in depth analysis.

Thanks for your review, Pauline! Great to hear that Float is increasing visibility of who's doing what and when on your team!

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

Accessible task management via Float

In general, Float has assisted us in moving across from one system to another without disruption.

Pros

The presentation of all the features makes use of the software easy for technical and non-technical users alike. That reduces time spent in training users.

Cons

I guess the need to log in is a very mild pain point, but a necessary one.

Thank you for your review!

MA

Mohammad A.

Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 employees

Float is your management tool for a good business.

Monthly cost is very low, services are great, support is wonderful, interface is a wow.

Pros

Sync. of Float with other calendars such as Outlook and google makes life easier to work. All the reminders sent are great.

Cons

Could not find anything wrong with this software.

RH

Rawiri H.

How Float works for us

After using the Trial, we found the best way to apply it to our business and implemented quickly for Live usage. We have been using Float daily since and it has been successful in providing a complete overview of staff workload and availability. It provides clarity for future scheduling.

Pros

* Provides an overview of scheduled work and staff availability for forecasting and scheduling * Ability to assign consultants to specific projects, while also assigning individual tasks. * Minimal duplication of work as the system maintains the lifetime of the projects * Ability to link to Jira tasks * Easy to schedule timeframes * Can view based on teams or individuals

Cons

Not a lot we didn't like, but it would be great to have; * Task breakdowns * Two way Jira linking (Currently only from Jira) * Pull more data from Jira (Timeframes etc)

BK

Ben K.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload

We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros

Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons

Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

Hi Ben, Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team. I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking. All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float. If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at support@float.com. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

MM

Marco M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Great software for planning but missing some features.

Overall I am very satisfied with Float, as it allowed me to save a lot of time in my planning activity and provided the company with a tool that everyone can use.

Pros

I really like the possibility of having a global view of the activities and the possibility of having a fast (very fast) synchronization with the Outlook calendar. Furthermore, it is really useful to assign different roles to people in order to define planning permissions.

Cons

I am not crazy about the graphic style of the calendar / schedule view. Hiding over the weekend it is difficult to see at a glance the separation between the various weeks. Also there is no translation of the portal in Italian, not a serious deficiency, but if there were it would be better :) It also lacks the ability to view your schedule in a daily agenda format in order to have a more precise schedule of your commitments, as you can do through outlook.

AV

Alex V.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Minimal and polished UI, but not lacking in features

Pros

As a developer it's easy to get sidetracked. That's why we have project managers and Float. Float helps me not only keep track of what I should be doing and when I should be doing it, but it also helps me keep track of what my colleagues are doing. Especially now, when working from home is the new normal, it's really easy to check if one of my colleagues is working and if they might have some time available for me. All that without having to add 20 filters and navigate a complex UI. Float has all the features in all the right places but still manages to keep a minimal looking UI.

Cons

There are only minor annoyances I have with Float (they're more like nitpicks anyways). A filter to hide projects that aren't being worked on in the current week/month would be nice. Also, there's a lot of freedom when assigning colours to a project. Maybe some predefined colour palettes would work better and stop our our schedule from looking like a lego brick wall ;)

BW

Brad W.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

JB

Joseph B.

Environmental Services, 501-1,000 employees

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros

Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons

The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur...

Aidan D.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Beautifully simple and easy to use

Float is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.

Pros

Float's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.

Cons

The only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.

KM

Klara M.

Public Relations and Communications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Makes capacity juggling so much easier

Pros

The tool has a simple overview, visually similar to already known calendars. This means that you don't need any time to familiarize yourself with it. Just click and add entries.If you work with many different customers, you can create them once and then easily add individual projects within these customer folders.I especially like the fact that I can tell my clients apart right at first glance using the Color Coding feature. But when I need more information, I can also click on the entries and have access to the job number, the available budget, and any other information that might be available.Thanks Float - you make my daily work so much easier :-)

Cons

What could be improved:Currently, when I enter vacation, my projects in the same time frame just disappear from the schedule. This is quite inconvenient and should be fixed. It would be more practical to at least be warned and transfer the projects individually to someone else from the team, or be able to specify vacation substitutions so that the projects are automatically transferred.Also, it would be great if you could duplicate blockers via copy & paste. The split tool is often a bit impractical to use.

SC

Suhas C.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

best project planning and resource management software

Float takes care of all of my project management and resource management needs. It is the one place i can go to to keep an eye on the projects that my team is working on, and to see what the next 6-8 weeks looks like for my team and assign work/projects accordingly.

Pros

I work in consulting and manage a team of 6 consultants. I find Float really useful to be able to manage scheduling for my team as well as forward plan based on upcoming work and team availability. I also work with a wider team and need to be across what other projects are happening and where my wider team might have upcoming availability that I might be able to use for my upcoming projects. I can use tags to be able to filter based on my preference, i find this feature extremely helpful.

Cons

I can't really think of any. It works as it should for my needs. It has an intuitive user interface and super easy to use.

AK

Aaron K.

Animation, 51-200 employees

Empowering Efficiency: A Scheduling Product that Masterfully Handles Prioritization

Pros

What sets this project management software apart is its exceptional user interface. Navigating through tasks, timelines, and reports feels intuitive and user-friendly. The visual representation of project timelines and progress is a standout feature, making it easy to grasp project status at a glance. This visual clarity has significantly enhanced our project planning and decision-making processes. With this software, complexity is simplified, and managing even intricate projects becomes a breez

Cons

In my experience with Float, the aspect that has the most potential for growth is the mobile app. While functional, it could benefit from more robust features and smoother navigation. Real-time updates and more comprehensive task management capabilities on the mobile platform would greatly enhance the product's utility for users on the go. Despite this, Float's desktop version remains a reliable tool for managing schedules and projects effectively.

RL

Renaud L.

Great scheduling tool

Pros

The scheduling tool and time tracking is top-notch.The reports are great and easy to follow.

Cons

Task management is a bit fiddly and either too or not enough restricted.Having multiple way to define certain information (pricing) is great but can sometimes lead to a lack of clear vision.

JW

James W.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Good tool for team visibility and managing flex in projects

Essential daily driver for project management.

Pros

Float is a super quick way to make sure everyone knows who's working on what and when. Easy to quickly re-arrange scheduled to adapt to changes in projects.

Cons

Interface misses some simple things (e.g. why can't I right click to copy/duplicate a task?)being able to converse on a task and track billable/non billable time would probably mean we could ditch some of our other tools...

Design, 1-10 employees

A must have for all manager

very positive

Pros

Float makes managing a team's workload easier. I would be lost without it.

Cons

I don't have any issues with Float. Perhaps I need to explore the functionality further as currently I only use it for scheduling.

SD

Shivang D.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Project timeline management made easy for our team

As always, coordinating between projects, especially in consulting, can be difficult. We started using Float last year to support our firm's efforts across multiple client projects. Generally speaking, it's been a pleasure using Float to better manage project timelines. In particular, my firm's managers appreciate Float's ability to make resource management easy to visualize and understand with a quick glance.

Pros

Overall, the visual resource planning with Float is superb. It's very easy for our teams to track progress across projects. Project managers have high transparency and visibility into 'resource' (aka analyst/associate) staffing, and this has made delivering projects on time much easier than before. Assigning resources between team members is also very easy.

Cons

There was a slight learning curve for some of our team members, but that's really the only drawback we experienced.