Toast POS Reviews

Toast POS

Cloud-based Point of Sale solution for restaurants

4.28/5 (248 reviews)

Pros
  • It has tremendously improved efficiency and flow of our Taproom. We now have the ability to swipe a card and store credit card information; which is a huge benefit for those of us in co-op spaces.Jayelynn W.Read the full review
  • Very feature rich with a robust online delivery platform that seamlessly integrates with the POS solution.Anang M.Read the full review
  • The best part of using Toast is the fact that you can check in from any mobile device to gain access to all of restaurants core information. The UI is also very user friendly.Christopher H.Read the full review
Cons
  • Their technical support is AWFUL. Every time we have a major support issue- now only does it take them DAYS to respond via email, but they almost always find a way to deflect the blame.Gonca E.Read the full review
  • Before that, I worked in the industry for another decade. Ask ten restaurants what they think of Toast, and 9 of them will tell you how awful they are.Gonca E.Read the full review
  • Install was Worst Experience in my 45 years in this business.Mark A.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Jayelynn Willman

Incredibly Efficient!

Reviewed 2019-09-05

Overall, I'm thrilled we switched to Toast. It's simple to use, has made us more efficient, and wasn't as expensive as similar systems.

Pros
Compared to POS systems I've used in the past, Toast is a lifesaver! It has tremendously improved efficiency and flow of our Taproom. We now have the ability to swipe a card and store credit card information; which is a huge benefit for those of us in co-op spaces. Although they look bulky, their handhelds fit into your back pocket and allow us to close tabs out table side. They are shock and water resistant, plus you can log into more than one device at the same time so if you're working alone, you can close out multiple parties at once. As a GM, I'm grateful that Toast is not only cloud-based, but allows me to access the back end from my laptop or smart phone so I don't have to be onsite to make system changes. Updates are incredibly quick so there's not a ton of down time. There is also Toast Central, where you can troubleshoot issues yourself rather rather than immediately calling Support. They are helpful instructions with screenshots and videos.

Cons
Customer Support is hit or miss. I always get an answer, it's just a matter of when I get it. After hours and on weekends, I feel like their staffing is very limited which leads to delays in getting immediate help. Thankfully it's only happened once where I needed a quick answer and wasn't able to get it.

Response from Toast

Hi Jayelynn, Jasmine from Toast here. Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear how multiple features of Toast have improved your operations, and that you are taking full advantage of Toast Central as a resource!

Valentina Colman

Beware of their promises

Reviewed 2019-10-21
Review Source: Software Advice

After 6 months, I am not impressed. I am spending so much more money than I was before, and put in so much effort and time into setting everything up, but nothing is ever on point with Toast.

Pros
Nice features and ways to set up the menu for ease of use by employees. User-friendly up to a certain extent.

Cons
Most of the features promised by the sales rep were all available at an extra cost, after paying a lot of money already for the system and the hardware, you have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. Their customer support is very unreliable, sometimes you have someone great who knows exactly what you are talking about, sometimes it seems like the person has never even used the POS before... They put you on hold for 10+ minutes at a time too.

Response from Toast

Hi Valentina, Jasmine from Toast here. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we strive to provide best-in-class customer support and offer solutions for all of our customers. We encourage you to reach out to your Restaurant Success Manager so we can help your business thrive on Toast.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Leah Jones

Can't Recommend Enough

Reviewed 2020-05-19

Love the system, great customer support, love the analytics.

Pros
I can access it anywhere with my Android based phone. Check sales or help solve an issue. Editing buttons takes seconds and over all had a very easy layout. Online ordering is synced with the tablets so when I 86 an item it is out everywhere. I like that I can email or text receipts and do e-cards quickly at the terminal. There is now a new feature that if a server needs assistance immediately they can send a text to the manager on shift and it tells the manager what terminal to go to.

Cons
Learning the cash register system was very confusing.

Gonca Esendemir

Terrible Tech Support And Filled With Bugs

Reviewed 2019-10-24
Review Source: Software Advice

TOAST is actually one of the worst POS systems you can use. I have been a restaurant industry veteran on the owner's side for over a decade. Before that, I worked in the industry for another decade. Ask ten restaurants what they think of Toast, and 9 of them will tell you how awful they are. I know three off the top of my head who turned to Toast because we were using it, only to realize how awful the system is. Below are the reasons why Toast is a waste of money.

Pros
Affordable Customer facing customization

Cons
1. Their technical support is AWFUL. Every time we have a major support issue- now only does it take them DAYS to respond via email, but they almost always find a way to deflect the blame. 2. You cannot process voids or refunds properly through the system. We have tried countless times to do this, only to have the ticket not void, causing the customer to file for a chargeback. Keep in mind, TOAST charges you a fee every time they have to refund a customer via a chargeback claim. 3. For TWO YEARS now, our delivery receipts keep printing to our self-ordering kiosk's printer instead of our cashier facing printer. TWO YEARS! 4. Every single time they do an update on their system, it almost always crashes, freezes, or goes offline, causing our employees to freak out when they can't get it back up and running. 5. Despite us paying a premium for our monthly subscription, they still cannot get the gift card or loyalty reward program working properly. 6. We have our delivery zone set to a certain zip code, yet we still receive orders outside of this zip code, causing customers to get upset with us. Overall, from a price point, with how much your monthly subscription will run you and the amount of headaches and acid reflux you will deal with- it's not worth it. Go with Revel or Clover. Pass on this. You end up paying more in lost time, chargeback fees, and waste money on a subscription that doesn't even provide you with enough support.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Rex Schroeder

Fast and Great Features!

Reviewed 2020-05-24

Love the software and so does our staff! Expansion options were a major consideration as we have more takeout locations opening so this was a winning solution for us. Works Great!

Pros
Its easy to setup! Configuring was straight forward and easy to understand. The user interface for servers is nice and offers a wide range of options to customize for the needs of your staff and restaurant. Offering a vast selection of options for takeout and delievery.

Cons
No real cons, can seem pricey at first, once we looked at others with the same features and options, the price became less of an issue.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anonymous

Toast--Support when you need it.

Reviewed 2019-05-16

We are still early in the implementation of using Toast, but thus far I have been very impressed with their customer service and professional manner in which they have trained and supported our company.

Pros
I love that Toast supports their product. You can call and get someone on the line that will help you answer your questions. They also provide the hardware necessary to run their software. They are constantly updating their software to meet the needs of their users and are staying current with the technology. One option that is particularly useful to us is printing individual labels for each shake. In other words, we could have a bus of individuals come to our restaurant, and we need to print individual labels on each shake to identify what is in the shake so that it gets to the right person. In the past, we had to individually write on each cup.

Cons
The most difficult part to swallow is the fact that you have a monthly payment for the software--even if you are a seasonal business and only open for less than half the year. Toast will make some concessions for that, but it still seems costly since our other solution we used was free and pretty much did everything we needed short of printing individual labels for the shakes.

Anang Mehta

Glad we selected this solution

Reviewed 2019-09-20

Very pleased with our decision to replace our old solution with Toast.

Pros
Very feature rich with a robust online delivery platform that seamlessly integrates with the POS solution. Synchronization is almost immediate and we have seen a huge increase in online ordering already. The self service kiosk was easy to setup and has a great look and feel

Cons
Overwhelming and we have barely begun to turn on all the other features - customer loyalty, customer feedback, delivery and so on.

Response from Toast

Hi Anang, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you have been driving online orders with Toast Digital Ordering as well as enjoying Toast Kiosk. We hope you will soon be able to take advantage of everything Toast has to offer! Please refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/ for best practices and educational material while you get rolling.

Dave Studwell

Toast is the only option for POS

Reviewed 2019-12-03

My overall experience has been nothing short of amazing. I wish I switched to Toast long before I did.

Pros
Toast offers the simplest POS interface I've ever used, if you can work an iPhone or iPad, you'll be flying through this system with no issues.

Cons
I really don't have anything to say negatively about Toast, at first I was worried about the learning curve, but that was practically non existent.

Learning curve

Reviewed 2019-07-22

decent, not thrilled

Pros
There are a lot of features and functionality with Toast, how to use them is another thing

Cons
Not very intuitive to use. Also i have not been able to get ahold of customer service

Response from Toast

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. If you're having trouble reaching Toast Support over the phone, log on to Toast Central to chat with them live during business hours. This is also where you can find Toast University, a library of all the training courses you need to be successful with Toast!

Jeff Imrie

So Great to Have Everything Consolidated

Reviewed 2019-10-14

Overall I think after a lot of research and a couple of trials Toast seemed to be the best option as a long-term solution. I believe it can grow with us over the years.

Pros
One stop shop plug and play solution! I was not interested in having to switch between systems and wanted easy reporting across the business.

Cons
Takes a while to learn all the functionality but worth it once learned. Although it’s not a problem with the software itself, either a better hard copy training manual or disk would be helpful.

Response from Toast

Hi Jeff, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you are enjoying your all-in-one, Toast POS System! For helpful training material, encourage you to refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Michelle Tapscott

Why I chose Toast

Reviewed 2017-03-30
Review Source: Software Advice

With now being in business a full year now, I have and I still am learning pro and cons of doing business. I have worked in restaurants but I have never been on the manager/owner side and it's not as easy as you think it is. When running your own business for the most part you are on your own! I sat down with a computer tech to figure out the best POS system for my business. There are SO many out there and being unfamiliar with them a lot of research was done! I attended the Gordon Food Show a month before we opened and I got to see first hand how Toast worked. I was very impressed with the system and how easy it looked to operate (remember I've never been on this side of the business) and we had decided to work 100% with Gordon Food Service because of their support and looking at our best interest for starting our business. Now a year later, I could't imagine being with another POS system so no regrets here on choosing Toast for our POS!

Pros
Customer Support! - I rate them 100 on this!! Any questions I have big or small, they are just a phone call away! If my call isn't answered right away or I get busy, they have the feature to leave your number and they will call you back ASAP. Customer Service - Being a tech and answering some of the crazy questions (I'm one who probably has the most) they are always patient, friendly and very professional when answering questions.

Cons
Credit Card Processing Fees - With other Processing companies out there some are cheaper but overall with Toast, they win. It's the hidden fees you have to watch. Toast fees appear to be higher but what you see is what you get where with the other guys you have to read the fine print.

Rachel Brewer

Great POS for restaurants

Reviewed 2020-02-10

After over a year the restaurant is still super happy with the switch

Pros
I was hired to help customize, train, and implement this new software at a friends restaurant. I have worked with a few different POS systems and this was by far the most user friendly. Easy to customize their menus and check preferences. Easy to update if we figured out how we originally entered in an item needed to be changed. Cloud based so when not on sight I was able to fix remotely when not at the restaurant. Also the handheld option is great for taking orders and splitting checks on the fly. Also were able to implement gift cards with the new system.

Cons
No real cons. The only downside was the initial few days after switching for the staff to get used to it.

Response from Toast

Hi Rachel, Mora from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear that you've found Toast simple to teach and easy to update. Thanks for the review!

Chelsea Hahn

One of the most user friendly POS systems!

Reviewed 2019-12-14

After about a year of use, Toast has proven to be one of the most trustworthy and reliable POS systems. With it's integration with Hot Schedules, it has made scheduling and payroll tracking a breeze. Highly recommended to restaurants looking for a change in POS software!

Pros
- User friendly - Intuitive - Fantastic customer support - Self updating - Good price - Integrated with most scheduling platforms

Cons
There's not much I dislike about Toast. With that said, it can be a bit glitchy at times. It's also a relatively new company, so some of the functions haven't quite been worked out perfectly yet.

Response from Toast

Hi Chelsea, Mora from Toast here. We're so glad to hear Toast's Integrations are helping enable your restaurant to thrive! We pride ourselves in building an intuitive, easy-to-use platform. Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate the opportunity to improve our product.

Ann Stippec

Toast POS has everything you could want in a POS system!

Reviewed 2019-07-29

Toast is easy to use which makes training new employees a breeze. We rarely experience issues with Toast, but if we do, customer service is very attentive and solves the problem quickly. I don't have any bad things to say about the POS system or the Toast team!

Pros
The inventory feature on Toast has revolutionized the way we track our products. Being able to enter recipes, add invoices, track waste, etc. - and do it all in one place - is awesome. And the fact that it is all so easy and user friendly is just a bonus!

Cons
We receive a sales report from Toast each morning, which is great. It would be nice if in this email there were a few specific reports that were pushed to you, as opposed to having to click "full report" and pick and choose what you'd like to view on the website. For example: weekly sales summary, hourly sales, payroll detail, etc.

Response from Toast

Hi Ann, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear about how Toast Inventory has made an impact on your operations! We appreciate your feedback on the daily sales report, thanks for the review.

Jill Tucker

Daily Toast POS User

Reviewed 2020-01-05

I find it to be a simple platform that is very user friendly.

Pros
I enjoy how many items can be displayed throughout the system within endless categories. It is very simple to edit the spelling of a product, the price or the quantity you have remaining. Adding more products is just as easy and for the food and bar industry we all know how many modifications guests request (and you can never have that many buttons), so the "special request" option, which allows you to type and charge whatever you would like below a certain item ordered is a lifesaver.

Cons
It is frustrating that Toast categorizes every product alphabetically. Additionally, our company has had better credit processing company offers but we are locked into Toast's credit processing and higher fees.

Response from Toast

Hi Jill, Mora from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear Toast's menu options have made entering orders a more simple and efficient process for your team. I would like to suggest the "Item Order" section of the article "Menu Items", available on Toast Central (central.toasttab.com) for guided instruction on customizing the order of your menu items.

Lindsay Miranda

Not the best, not the worst

Reviewed 2018-12-06

Overall my experience is indifferent. While I am occasionally irritated with this system other days it functions fine but overall it is still mediocre. I would recommend it to someone with a strong encouragement of researching the program to see if it is the best system for your business.

Pros
Toast POS system has a VERY short list of pros from my time using it in my restaurant. One of the only pros is the easy-to-read menu set up. While There are not many features or anything about the system that I found unique or helpful, there are not to many bad elements that stand out either. It is a simple and mediocre system.

Cons
The biggest con of this program to me is the ridiculous amount of time it takes the systems to download and log on, not just first thing in the morning but periodically throughout the day. There are also issues with set times and online orders being updated because all systems must sync variously throughout the day as well. The system is not user friendly or easy to use right away and takes more time getting use to than past systems I have used.

Response from Toast

Hi Lindsay- thank you for your feedback. We may be able to help troubleshoot the loading issue you are having. Please work with Toast Support by calling (617) 682-0225, or log on to Toast Central to chat with them live.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

One of the most intuitive POS systems I have encountered

Reviewed 2019-01-14

When I began using Toast there was fear of a learning curve however I immediately adapted to it as it seemingly was designed by the professionals in the industry who use it. Everything is where it needs to be and it is incredibly easy to train new employees on the system even without previous experience working with a POS system.

Pros
Very intuitive user interface Incredibly easy to pick up and go with previous POS system knowledge Very responsive clicks Great organization tools for menu options Split check function is much easier to use than other systems Credit card transaction time is very fast

Cons
Training entire staff over to a new POS Other than the cost of training and time for adaptation there is no reason this POS should not be ranked alongside the industry standards like Aloha and Micros

Response from Toast

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. It¿s great to hear that Toast is helping your restaurant become more efficient and that it is easy to use and integrate into your restaurant. We are glad some of our features, like the split check function and quick credit card transaction, are helping your operations. We're excited to continue to help you to thrive!

heather mojer

Toast is a modern and still growing POS and restaurant management product

Reviewed 2019-03-28

Toast has helped us organize and stay nimble through aggressive company growth. Looking forward to the next period with Toast where we adopt their HR, payroll, and scheduling features.

Pros
Toast allows users to log on to its website to edit menu items, run reports, track punch-in's. In the past, POS systems were loaded into desktops in the back office. It's so refreshing to update, edit, and from anywhere because it's based off a website. The devices that Toast has selected for installation in the restaurants are modern, slim, and highly functional.

Cons
Toast can slow down, which isn't good news when the restaurant is busy. The sales tracking is still not as robust as I would hope from a product that does so much else so well. For instance, it can be hard to get results on the sales of a menu item for an entire year.

Response from Toast

Hi Heather, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear you are seeing the benefits of a cloud-based software and enjoy our hardware. We also look forward to continuing to work with you and helping your restaurant thrive!

Amanda Pawneshing

Does literally everything I want it to do

Reviewed 2020-01-18

I was a POS technician back in the day and this is some of the best put together software I've come across. Seriously.

Pros
Like the title says, it does literally everything I want it to do. I have the options for gift cards, online and mobile ordering, and I just got the inventory management module and it's just a freaking dream.

Cons
It's got a few bugs -- one is updating the current inventory without our permission. It'll suddenly give us a heads up that it's decided that we have 4 plain bagels when we clearly have sold 3 of the 5 we received in the morning. I'm sure I've got a setting messed up in there some where that's making it do that.

Response from Toast

Hi Amanda, Mora from Toast here. We are thrilled to hear that Toast has been exceeding your expectations. Thanks for the review!

Alexander James

Toast POS: The Modern Day POS System You Should Be Using

Reviewed 2019-04-11

Overall Toast is the future of the POS game. As evidenced by its recent fundraises, Toast is anticipated to take over the market. It may take a bit of time for larger, older organizations to adopt the technology given the amount of time they have input into older systems, but it's only a matter of time before the switches happen.

Pros
Toast is a phenomenal POS system that blows the legacy players such as Aloha and Micros out of the water. Toast is very easy to set up, manipulate on the fly, and track relevant data. The handheld devices allow for a more streamlined ordering system, shaving precious seconds off the time to perform a transaction--something that is essential in a restaurant environment in which throughput is core to success. Toast is much more intuitive than other POS tools and the day to day users have found it to be excellent.

Cons
Toast does not allow for the same level of customization that legacy players do, so you can't change every aspect like you can on those tools. Further, the handheld devices rely on excellent Wifi connection, so you may struggle if there is a lag or an outage on the internet. Further, some changes take a little longer than you would hope to update on the handheld devices.

Response from Toast

Hi Alexander, Jasmine from Toast here. Thanks for the review! I'm happy to hear you have found the ToastGo to to increase efficiency of your servers - we know how important that is in the fast-paced restaurant industry.

Fast, Intuitive, Easy to Use

Reviewed 2019-07-17

It's been great. The last POS that we used was not nearly as efficient and easy to use on a day-to-day level. The split check options is GREAT and the credit card transaction time is much faster than with our last POS.

Pros
Easy to learn how to use. Easy to teach others how to use. And it's a great value.

Cons
The fact that it's cloud-based can be a bit of an issue if the internet goes down.

Response from Toast

Hi there, thanks for the review! Did you know that in the event of an internet disruption, Toast's Offline Mode allows you to continue to place orders, print tickets and receipts, and take credit card payments until the connection is reestablished and you are back online Learn more about Toast's Offline Mode here: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Offline-Mode-Overview-1492794307880.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Kelly Vega

Toast Review

Reviewed 2018-08-30

The back end entry saves HOURS out of my week, and my employees are much, much happier with the ease of functions they use everyday (splitting checks, transferring tabs). I also enjoy the community and keeping in touch with Toast. It's not like one of those systems where a salesman comes into your restaurant, sells it to you, and never answers your call. Toast is constantly finding new ways to be a partner to us.

Pros
I most liked upgrades. With our previous systems, you bought them and that was it. We suffered for years without functions we wished we had. With Toast, if they don't already have it, you can bet it will be in a future upgrade.

Cons
It's what I like least but I appreciate: It's a LOT to learn, and it's constantly evolving. You really have to stay on top of it to get the most out of the system, but paying attention and a little research goes a long way.

Response from Toast

Hi Kelly - We LOVE to hear that Toast is saving you hours every week. We are committed to being a partner in your business. We hope you'll utilize the monthly video newsletter and training materials to help stay up-to-date.

Elizabeth Hyman

Great for Remote Access

Reviewed 2019-09-02

Pros
Toast POS is the best cloud based tablet POS out there. Their reporting is easy to use, and accessible anywhere this is an internet connection. Everything is laid out intuitively and on the front end, the staff find it very easy to use.

Cons
We wish their support team were more responsive. Several times we have reached out with a question and haven't received an answer.

Response from Toast

Hi Elizabeth, Jasmine from Toast here. We love that you love being able to access your restaurant's real-time data from anywhere!

Samec Segura

Quick software with minor setbacks

Reviewed 2019-06-03

Overall I have had a fairly positive experience using this system. While navigating it may be a bit tricky at times I have been more efficient using this software than other POS systems out there.

Pros
Perhaps my favorite thing about this software is the clean interface that is presented by the platform. It is not messy and makes creating orders fast. The user can easily see that there is a clear path and structure that the user must take in order to fulfill any orders- therefore making the process efficient.

Cons
This system can get complex at times specially at times when time is limited. The amount choices that is presented by this software can make navigating for the user a bit difficult as it can get seemingly overwhelming. However, this is only at first when the user first begins operating this system.

Response from Toast

Hi Samec, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear you find the user experience of Toast to be intuitive and our POS has made your restaurant operations more efficient.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Anonymous

After using so many POS systems this is my absolute favorite

Reviewed 2019-02-16

We use Toast as our jazz club and every single employee absolutely adores the system if they have any experience with another point of sale systems. It is much more professional than a system such as square in my opinions and seems like a wonderful middle-ground between an industry standard like Aloha and a more intuitive and user-oriented solution like clover.

Pros
User Interface is absolutely gorgeous So much more intuitive than other systems (seems like it was designed by me) Very fast transaction and screen speed easy to add things to menu/change prices Works very well so any sized restaurant makes splitting checks way easier that most POS systems

Cons
Receipt printer that we got from Toast could have been a little nicer. Was very light and moves around a lot.

Response from Toast

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear you are in love with our UI - I love how you said "it seems like it was designed by me". That is exactly the user experience we hope for everyone to have. We appreciate the feedback on the hardware!