Shopify Reviews

4.44/5 (1,974 reviews)

Judah Parness

OK but MUCH room for improvement

Reviewed 2019-02-08

2014 = great 2018 = terrible I would encourage rep. to contact me.When I first signed up for Shopify 4-5 years ago I thought it was the best thing to happen to ecommerce. Gurus were knowledgeable and accessible (via phone!), the product worked beautifully and it met my needs. Now that my business has grown and I'm finding that Shopify is not set up to handle a business of high growth. Shopify has grown so fast that the average conversation with a Guru has dropped from outstanding to barely acceptable. Most of the time, the I know more than the Gurus. Follow up from the gurus is also terrible. You can still reach them by phone but if you need to speak to someome in the company with more experience, you can only access them via email and they take FOREVER to get to you. So you can forget about getting any help from someone with real knowledge of the product. The native functionality is also only good for very basic businesses. For example, if you need to ship a single item in multiple boxes, you can forget about doing that natively in the app or taking advantage of their discounted shipping rates. If you want to get a custom app built, you can forget about getting any support on the API from the gurus because they don't know anything about API. Again, there is no escalation point for customers who have a higher level of needs. Want help from the Shopify Expert community? You can forget about being called and speaking to someone local. Most won't do it, I've tried. If you get a response, the best you'll get is an email that reads something alo

Marc Perez

Learned A Lot For Free

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2019-02-03

I was watching a few youtube vidoes on starting ecommerce and dropshipping, Shopify was mentioned countless times in terms of starting one. As an unemployed college student , starting a side business with little to no commitment, and can start totally free allowed me to learn so much about what it's like to start an eCommerce business. It taught me a lot about how the online market works, and taught me valuable things such as marketing, traffic, and SEO. In the 14 day trial, I was able to further my knowledge on a business that I never even knew existed. When i get some funds, I will definitely come back with my new found knowledge, and I'm confident with the fact Shopify will help me succeed in online business, if not i know it will definitely continue teach me alot more.User Friendly - I think what i liked the most of out everything with Shopify was how user-friendly and how quick it was to use. I was able to create a functioning online eCommerce store on the day that i started. Originality - One thing i was concerned about was if my store would look like any other store online but to my surprise, there was many different themes to use and I was able to format my site into any way i would like. I think you are also able to make custom themes for your website, I used the Brooklyn theme that Shopify provides, which looks very unique and appealing compared to other eCommerce websites. Payment Methods - Shopify allows you to use any payment method you want for your customers, this allowed me to use services such as Stripe, Paypal and most of the mainstream payment methods such as Visa and Mastercard Free Trial - Shopify allows you to use their service for free for 14 days. It included all of their services and every feature you would have if you had bought their monthly plan.

Brandon Muzny

Very easy to get started with advanced features for those who need it

Reviewed 2018-10-16
Review Source: Software Advice

For the price of the software, it is hard to complain about anything. It is super easy to set up and manage, tons of usability and plugins for advanced features, great customer service.Shopify is very easy to get started with. It practically holds your hand with simple shops and the plugins make for a robust software that almost anyone can make use of. I use it primarily for selling eLearning courses. Shopify has plugins available for most LMS software. Simply connect the LMS to Shopify with a plugin, input the course identifier, with my LMS it is a string of numbers and letters that is unique to each course, then set the price and start selling. When you sell a course through Shopify, the purchaser automatically gets login information for the LMS and is automatically assigned the course they purchased. Shopify has a couple of options for setting up a shop. The first option, which is the easiest, is to create a storefront within Shopify that is like a website, just for your store. It is very easy to pick a theme and then just type in the information. The storefront through Shopify looks very professional and is worth it if you just need a simple storefront. The second option is the buy button, which I use for my companies website. This way, if you already have a website, you can just use Shopify to generate a code that will give you a button to place on your website. There are other options I rarely use such as generating a code for email which is similar to the buy button but I am sure it would be very useful for those wishing to email out their products. There are so many plugins to sell different ways that there would be too much to post in this review. The customer service is top-notch. They respond quickly and when I needed something, they worked with me until it was resolved. The last customer service need I had took a few tries to get everything going but they kept at it until it was fixed.

Shopify is a Clean, Responsive E-commerce Solution

Reviewed 2018-04-04

Helped a friend setup multiple online businesses.If you want to stick to just basics and you need a clean, responsive E-commerce site, then Shopify is for you. No programming knowledge is required and there are many fine templates to choose from, and you can always find more. If you are interested in starting online, Shopify is a good choice because it offers a PCI compliant and secure shopping cart and payment gateway solution. Adding products to Shopify is surprisingly fast and easy but you are limited to 100 Variants. Shipping integration with USPS, UPS and Fedex is included and integrates with many popular software via Add ons. Things like email marketing, product feeds, and popups are easy to find and setup. And you can export your products to Google, and setup customer reviews with some other add ons. Having all these extra with add ons is both good and bad, and customers should be aware of the small downsides to Shopify.

Jaron Hall

I have successfully built 5+ websites with Shopify

Reviewed 2018-06-25

If you want to build an ecommerce website and you have little to no experience with web development, then Shopify is your place to go. Anybody can easily get something set up in less than a day and begin selling immediately. I have created multiple websites on Shopify for myself and it is a very user-friendly platform with a lot of basic functionality that you will need in your business. Shopify can automate many steps in the process of selling products, and it will also act as a central hub for all your customer and product information. If I wanted to set up a website from scratch or piecing together other applications, it would take a lot of time and proabably cost me a lot more than the monthly cost of Shopify.

Ryan Russikoff

It is a good software- would recommend to try it out

Reviewed 2017-10-04

Good UI but some of the simple options available with other ecommerce products are unavailable or cost extra. For example, if you want to calculate shipping for each item (as opposed to a flat shipping charge) you have to pay extra monthly. Also, you cannot adjust image sizes. If you want a different size image for the category page and the product page, you have to upload 2 images.

Vishal Naik

Best E-commerce platform in the market

Reviewed 2018-08-17

I have tried several similar platforms but Shopify is hands down the best E-commerce platform in the market. Definitely will recommend to all new entrepreneurs who are trying to learn drop shipping.Shopify is the best platform for drop shipping and also for retailers who want to take their shop online. Anyone with no previous experience with web designing can also easily set up a shop and start selling globally. The dashboard is very user friendly and they also have tips and instructions displayed upfront to help you set up easily. It also has a 14 day trial that allows you to set up things and check out if your products are working. The customer service team is also quick to respond, I was not able to attach my card to one of my stores due to some issues with my bank and when I informed them that I was not able to take my shop online because of this and the trial period was about to come to an end and they extended the trial for me in just one request made via email. Once your website is set up it also has additional applications to help you add inventory, up sell products, send automatic emails, track orders, basically all that you will ever need to run an online store is taken care off all under one platform. I would rate it 10/10

Jennifer Jordan

Best Value for your Money

Reviewed 2018-12-14

Shopify provides you with the solid framework to create a successful webstore very easily and for a good value. The templates they have available are reasonably priced and allow you, if you have an eye for design and a head for layout and organization, to make a very high quality and professional looking webstore with only a little effort. I really appreciate that Shopify provides a "all in one solution" for small businesses like mine to manage their web presence. Shopify has the basic reporting I need (at the basic level, advanced reports are available with bigger plans) and integrates with many apps for reviews and customization and planning and management etc. Shopify also provides you with your code base so that you can REALLY customize if you have a programmer at your disposal. However, I LOVE that it CAN be an all in one solution for anyone with basic computer skills. Their customer service, the two times I needed help, was responsive and helpful - so thats another plus. Without Shopify we couldn't have gotten our business off the ground - so we can't say enough good. I've tried both Wix and Big Commerce, but for an easy to use and fair priced website - Shopify is the BEST value for your dollar, hands down!

Kevin S. Orbach

Great potential and possibility, but cannot skip tech spend

Reviewed 2019-01-09

Shopify is riding a popularity wave right now which makes integrations plentiful and easy. Their CDN is fast and dependable. If you dedicate a decent development contractor budget, you'll be fine. If you try to do it solely on your own, it is very time consuming. The interface is easy enough to understand that, even if a programmer has rewritten the entire site in unique liquid code, someone unfamiliar with the platform could verify order information, write blog posts, refund customers, etc. Businesses require collaboration so this is certainly advantageous. Plugins/apps don't crowd the original UI so your main menu will always stay the same. Finally, Shopify is a major, for-profit market force which compels older applications to update to become compatible, and also new entrants elect to work solely with shopify. WooCommerce users demonstrate that they don't want to pay for even basic expenses. In this way, it separate to two extremes what wordpress tries to meet in the middle. WP has a short, steep learning curve with a lot of interface changes with plugins.

Great Online Store Builder for Beginners

Reviewed 2018-09-12

I will say the first time I used Shopify I was very impressed with how easy it was to work in. I got a call from a friend who runs a non-profit. He had his designer bail on him after saying he would start the project in Shopify. I took at look and after getting into the system it was clear the other designer had done nothing with my buddy's web site. I had never used their system before but the interfaces were very easy to work in and we had his full site created with all of his products (about 30+) listed online and selling by the end of the day. It was pretty sweet to get that knocked out for him and because of that experience I have been using and recommending Shopify to clients where the system fits their needs. I definitely would not recommend it if you run retail stores with more the one location or if you need true inventory control, or accounting software syncing. Shopify is designed for the small retailer or business owner who is looking to get selling online for the first time. It works great and is very affordable for what it does. As you grow it may not be a fit anymore, but if you have sales coming in then you hopefully have the money to pay for switching to another system as well.- Really easy for beginners to build an online store; you can literally build a store in a matter of minutes - Does not require any coding knowledge - Excellent interface to work in - Great built-in tools for working with social media networks - Fantastic choice if you have a small inventory and are wanting to dip you toe into the e-commerce world cheaply

Gayana Igityan

the BEST e-commerce software available

Reviewed 2019-02-08

THE BEST PERIOD. no other e-commerce platform compares.Shopify has many benefits: 1) extremely easy to navigate platform - they make everything so user friendly and beautiful. tons of images to visually keep you engages and interested while using 2) shopify blogs, help articles, education portal, and resources are AMAZING. This is the single best company I've ever seen that offers so much education and help for FREE. This is very helpful for a small business owner doing everything yourself. 3)thousands of apps available to further the shopify experience and add to your store to do anything possible. 4)cost effective - they offer so much for the most basic plan and you can even pause your subscription whenever you need to

Berry Dahlin

Shopify Perks & Shortcomings

Reviewed 2017-04-12
Review Source: Software Advice

Overall, Shopify is the clear leader in their industry. Do they have shortcomings? Sure. But compared to their competitors, the shortcomings are few and far between. After all, no system will ever be exactly perfect to your unique business unless you decide to build your own software which comes with the glitches and lack of functionality that building your own software entails. AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE. Shopify is entirely unparalleled in this regard. Their live chat option is not only convenient but staffed by PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! They are not an outside tech support and it is clear how well each of them is versed in the system and its capabilities. Another amazing feature about Shopify is the plethora of apps that are available in order to customize your system (many of which are free!). This means that if Shopify is lacking in any way in terms of your particular business needs, there is definitely an app for it.

Anonymous

A pretty good option for a small business!

Reviewed 2019-01-26

Overall, Shopify has made it simple to showcase and sell our product to customers all over the world. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone considering opening a small business.As an employee of a (very) small business--just me and one other full-time employee, and a handful of part-time folks--I was so relieved to find an e-retail option that had just the right amount of functionality. We only offer a couple hundred products, so we didn't need something exhaustive. And because a number of our employees were part-time, we needed something with a low bar for entry. We found it! It's Shopify. Shopify makes it easy to add, edit, and update product pages, giving our online store a sleek and simple look that's easy to navigate. It also has a ton of handy guides for updating your site and ecommerce tips overall. I learned so much from their features on social media!

Yemin Kim

Great service but you need to be careful

Reviewed 2018-01-18

We saved a lot of time and money to build our own website. Most importantly we can be assured by the stable service. 1. Easy to use and hassle free. Analytics is super helpful. 2. There are some learning curves but it is easy to get accustomed. Shopify constantly add up new features like social network integrations, new sales channels, added security and so on. 3. A lot of Apps to try although it is the double-edged sword. It is easy to determine which app you will pick based on a lot of reviews compared to different platforms. 4. Their default payment system - Stripe is very easy to set up. PayPal and Amazon Payment integrations are also very easy to set up. 5. Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram shopping integration is awesome. It is really helpful either send more customers to your website or real sales on those platforms. 6. Amazon and eBay integrations are not that great but worth to try.

Pedro García de Juan

Excellent eCommerce platform from MVP to full scale

Reviewed 2018-03-13

Quick and cheap setupReally easy to setup without any technical knowledge and very cheap options. I find it ideal for startups beginning their journey and business that want to go online with very low investment needed. It has also a wide ecosystem of plugins that you and add for the non out of the box functionalities, a lot of them for free and really easy to install and configure. Also one thing to remark is that you don't need to worry about hosting or capability as you scale the business as they take care of all of that + CDN for best perfomance. Also it has a more professional suite just in case you need more support.

Anonymous

Shopify is a powerful and empowering e-commerce platform

Reviewed 2018-10-24

Shopify has comprehensive features that are super easy to use. It offers everything you need to get your online storefront up and running quickly, and many more advanced features that allow you to integrate with other vendors' tools and platforms, e.g., Facebook shopping, Google shopping, Google Analytics, Klaviyo email marketing, etc. There are a ton of Shopify developers out there if you want help customizing your storefront, or you can choose from a bunch of existing templates - both good options. This is the second business in which I've used Shopify, and I think it pays to work with the leader in the space because of its flawless existing integrations with other platforms. You may be able to find something a little cheaper, but if you do, you will likely experience much more difficultly as you try to expand your business.

SAVIOUR YAO DORVLO

Shopify is the best ecommerce platform

Reviewed 2018-10-11

As far as am concern, ever since I moved my store to shopify, I've not encountered any glitches. My sales went up due to their inbuilt SEO features which drives me more traffic naturally. I always recommend shopify to people who want to start their online storesShopify is a great place to start! Whether you are a small seller with a few items, or a huge company, It has everything you need to have a successful online store. Shopify is arguable the most popular platform for creating unique online stores. My number one reason for choosing shopify over other platform is their security and up-time Ever since i started using shopify I've never encountered any cyber security issues with them. The platform has a wide variety of themes which some are free and paid version. The themes are very easy to edit due to the drag and drop feature which was introduced not long ago. They platform also has lot of apps which you can use to extend the features of your store. In all I chose shopify over WordPress' woocommerce after trying my store on both platforms

Santiago Altriaga

The best option in the market for e-commerce.

Reviewed 2019-01-12

I have had an experience that has exceeded my expectations. By hiring their services, you receive a very intuitive platform that offers everything imaginable so that your business can be at the same level as the existing large brands. I really like that I can work with a team without geographical limitations thanks to the Shopify platform. I have saved a lot of time in the programming, they offer you many options in their templates so you can build your store with the details that you like, it is a great experience.It seems fantastic to have in one place, everything you need for electronic commerce, I have a year of use for the people who work and it is great all the benefits it offers. You can, in a few minutes, upload a product for sale completing everything that your intuitive interface is requesting, then you can, within the same platform, use the SEO service to position your products in browsers, it's a wonder, , you can immediately post any products on social networks. I have worked with other platforms and none compare with Shopify. It has everything you need to succeed in digital entrepreneurship. Another important element in e-commerce is the analysis of statistics, with Shopify you have just one click, you can see the origin of web traffic and know from which electronic device people access your store.

Jon Prillwitz

Fast, straighforward, and functional software to lauch an eCommerce store

Reviewed 2018-08-28

I have had an excellent experience with Shopify. Straightforward billing that doesn't nickel and dime you. They have very little downtime and anytime there are issues, they are quick to resolve them. We are using Shopify for a new product line we launched several years ago. We didn't want to use our existing platform as it was too cumbersome and was setup to sell a fairly different product line. Once we decided on Shopify we were able to have our new product line launched within a month all while starting from scratch. We also like the ability to connect and sell our product on other channels such as amazon and eBay.The best features of Shopify is how easy it is to get an eCommerce store up and running. They walk you through the steps to get launched. Everything is simple. They have many free and paid website templates to select from and you don't need to know how to code to have a great looking website. They also have many 3rd party apps available to solve most of the features that are lacking in the main Shopify backoffice.

Scott S. McGeary

An extremely powerful and easy to use e-commerce platform

Reviewed 2018-08-01

Ease of use and endless opportunity.Shopify has been providing a very easy to use and powerful SaaS e-commerce platform for years. I can't even imagine using a non-SaaS shopping cart these days and Shopify is my go to product - even for sites that don't sell anything - purely for the ease of use of the content management (blog, pages). With a massive amount of site themes and 3rd party add-on apps, so much is possible. And, with help from a knowledgeable programmer, you can really make Shopify do anything with it's native language, Liquid. I think the real defining moment with Shopify for me that continues to happen is when I turn a less technical client onto Shopify and they don't call me for help because they intuitively figured it out. That alone is a massive accomplishment. But, I love all the other very thoughtfully engineered things like automatically connecting to GoDaddy to setup a domain.

Ben Szelest

The best is yet to come

Reviewed 2017-07-20

Blazing fast developments, more customers, more earningsShopify is a platform focused on product and inventory managment for your online sales. It allows you to tack your inventory and have reports on your sales. You might say "well, others can do that as well" and the answer is yes, but can they do it better? Shopify is a software as a service, self hosted with a monthly pament. For setting up a quick shop for someone not tech saavy at all Shopify is perfetc, just a few clicks and you're earning money. If you have a physical store the POS is free! Customer service people is always happy and gentle.

Kenneth Miller

SHOPIFY FLEXIBIITY FOR THE MOBILE MERCHANT

Reviewed 2018-10-04

The Shopfiy system continues to impress us daily as we continue to find new features or they update the software with new features that make our retail management easier. The system is continually in a spiral development and I assume adapts to client provided feedback. The latest function we found that impressed us is the ability to utilize our mobile phones to scan a bar code on a product when processing a transaction and have it added to the cart of the client. We have bar code scanners that we use, but this was a nice backup feature in case our bar code scanner is not working and we are at a remote event site away for replacement bar code scanners. Utilizing Shopfiy for our retail management has been an incredibly wise decision for our business model. We operate both an online store but also an in store retail operations as well as a mobile retail when attending events. Shopify's flexibility to meet all three of these requirements has been second to none. The system has allowed us to have more frequent promotional sales, highlight retail items for special pricing for inventory clearance, and allows for special discounts. The inventory management capability has allowed for much more accurate inventory monitoring and reordering of retail items. This list of things we like most goes on and on.

Viktor Metodiev

Shopify is hands-down the best ready-to-go eCommerce platform

Reviewed 2017-11-12

It's really easy to integrate different applications and tune-up your store. Thing is, some of the applications are very cheap and very easy to implement because they're made for the platform- That's the real beauty of Shopify for me. Custom platforms are the best way to go when only you're ready for the investment they require, and I, having over 6 years of experience with website management, would definitely not recommend that venture especially if you're a starter. You cut very key costs and just pay subscription- a whole building of Shopify company-hired developers work to make the platform better. Shopify is just easy, and it is very scalable which makes it a great choice for a store that sells a lot of different products. If you're selling 1-5 products, I would recommend a funnel.

Muneeba Feroze

Shopify makes you manage and create your own store easily

Reviewed 2018-01-02

I have benefited a lo from Shopify. Shopify has surely helped me in running my online business. I haven't earned much yet through this platform because I feel I'm still new to this online realm. I have more online presence with an increasing customer base. I can sell my products easily without any hassle. The return I am getting from just a small investment in this portal, this is just astonishing. As everything is online, I don't have to give this business a lot of attention as I know it still keeps on running without my intervention. The analysis feature helps a lot in marketing my product to the right market further bringing in more income for me. My inventory is well managed, payments are received securely and also my customers are growing. Clearly this is quite beneficial for the expansion of my business-Shopify lets you sell via your Facebook page -Allows you to use Shopify in a physical location to sell goods / manage inventory -Gives you access to Shopify's Buy Button, which allows you to sell goods on an existing website or blog. -Top notch security measures keeping my transactions secured -Brilliant customer support team -Keeps a track of my inventory in a much effecient way -Get detailed analysis and reports on my sales and forecasts -Easy to use and understand software -Interface is well designed making me addicted to the software -Integration with Paypal -Value for money

Stephanie McDonald

Shopify POS is easy to use and great for places with distinct items

Reviewed 2018-06-26

When using it to process payments, it's intuitive to use. Simply use the search bar to search product name or SKU and relevant products with photos comes up. It's best used for products with few variants or with detailed variants. In our cafe, it allows baristas to show all customizations of drinks right on the receipt which increases efficiency in our store. We can also adjust what tax applies on each order or product in the order, and can create discounts on the spot. Also, it offers a 'quick sale' function which allows the staff member to add a product without going to the back end of the system. Additionally, customers can be added to the order meaning that our stored customer information can be added once the customer is ready for checkout. This is particularly useful when some customers have credits on their accounts, or have tax-free status.