Workday HCM Logo

An HCM system that adapts to what comes next.

Workday HCM Reviews

Suggested alternatives

rippling
dayforce-hcm
bamboohr

Overall very positive experience with a good balance between ease of use and customizability.
My overall experience was very positive. As I mentioned above it is one of the better benefits software I have used in my career.
From what I’ve observed, Workday is a robust tool and is often considered the industry standard because it is effective at what it does, even though its usability could be improved.
More cons that pros, I'm afraid. The training was long, extensive and confusing.
Because of how much functionality is in the platform, I did get lost sometimes not knowing where to go.
The buttons are sometimes confusing. For example, submitting a request for vacation seems cumbersome as there are different buttons that seem to do the same thing displayed at the same time.

1,391 reviews

Michael G.

Senior Content Manager

Insurance, 51-200 employees

Powerful Program

Transcript

Mike: My name is Mike. I'm a senior content manager. I would give Workday HCM a four out of five stars....

CG

Ciara G.

President

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Next Generation of HR

Transcript

Ciara: Hi, I'm Ciara, a community engagement manager. I would give Workday a five-star rating. And for...

Danielle S.

Sporting Goods, 5,001-10,000 employees

"Workday is the best assistant Online for HR"

You may build and grow your corporation using Workday HCM. There is no limit to what can be done. Anyone in HR or a department head may simply access and obtain employee information using their user-friendly interface, whether it's for insight into their compensation or any other data you require. More significantly, it gives HR personnel the tools they need to do their jobs better, from adding new vacation entries to collecting lists of the most frequently utilized perks.

Pros

Payroll, vacation requests, time off, hiring, performance management, and much more are all made easier with Workday. For the most part, tasks are straightforward and intuitively organized. My dashboard displays the demands made by our personnel. To charge other business units for projects and hours, we may change things like pay rate, hours, department, and project id. Direct links to applicants' Facebook and Twitter pages and the ability to select candidates by a variety of criteria, including location, experience, and current position, are all strengths of the recruiting area.

Cons

A few tasks throughout the course of a typical workday might be perplexing. The "time off" tool, for example, may lead you to believe that it displays information about your own personal time off at work, but it actually displays information about the vacation time taken by your team. You have to enter another option to be able to appreciate your free time and it is usually confusing

Alan B.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Easy to use for employee self-service HR needs

I can easily complete HR-related self-service chores as an employee. It is simple to submit a request for time off or make an adjustment to my personal information.

Pros

Workday is the most effective tool for managing relationships with customers, allowing for simple monitoring of all interactions. It's the system we use for human resources, payroll, and a plethora of other employee-related tasks and records. One clear advantage of Workday is that it makes it easier for workers to make and be compensated for their own human resources decisions.

Cons

The learning curve may be steep for novice users, but once you've mastered it, it will make your day-to-day life easier. Every time I try to accomplish something significant, I end up making a mistake, and usually it's the system's fault, because it has so many unseen and arbitrary tripwires.

PW

Paul W.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Workday is On Point

Pros

Easy to use with no downsides. App navigation is clear. Very user-friendly.

Cons

I heard that calculating and entering PTO hours had a bit of a catch to it.

CN

Chris N.

Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Straight forward but bleak

Pros

I liked that it was straight forward to use and wasn’t ever complex

Cons

I didn’t like how bleak their pages are for companies to accept applications. It’s discouraging for candidates applying to jobs

mc

megan c.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

workday review

everything is easy to use / easy to find

Pros

everything in one spot ./ tax /hours / pay

Cons

Nothing everything has been super easy to use

KH

Kate H.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Workday HCM

Pros

I liked how easy it was to learn. I also liked how there was an app for my phone so I could check while not at work

Cons

It lags, rarely lets you sign in on the first try and it never remembers your password

VR

VARSHA R.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Workday works!

Pros

Workday is a very easy tool to use and sectioned very well. Navigation is simple and also allows easy access with shortcuts

Cons

It can be faster and better suited for customization

Bk

Bridgette k.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Workday makes me productive

Pros

Workday HCM solved all my Human Resource Issues. It makes tasks such as recruiting and onboarding a breeze.

Cons

Workday HCM requires a bit of a learning curve.

DW

Dana W.

Computer & Network Security, 11-50 employees

Excellent product

Pros

Easy to use and eases productivity. I love how user friendly it is

Cons

Nothing it is all great! Wouldn’t change a thing

NW

Natasha W.

Professional Training & Coaching, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Workday--the User-Friendly Software

Workday does a good job making HR's job very easy. It works seamlessly with the protocols and ensures that everyone is paid on time.

Pros

Workday is very user friendly. It has just the right amount of functions, so it's not overwhelming yet manageable. It made onboarding very easy with its completion icon. Also, I was able to submit payroll and see prior submissions.

Cons

If you get distracted easily, there is a lot of information and icons on the landing page or "dashboard."

KS

Kyle S.

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great For HR, But Lacks For ATS

While nice to have one system of record for HR across the organization, Workday often lacks when it specifically comes to recruiting/ATS needs.

Pros

It's nice to have the ATS built into your HRIS functionality. Both systems can communicate between each other with relative ease. This can make it nice for employees to have a one-stop place for all things HR. Because external applicants/hires apply through Workday, there is an initial profile built that carries through after hired and onboarded.

Cons

The ATS functionality of Workday was clearly an afterthought to the HRIS function, and was created/bolted on after the fact. Because of this, it lacks the intuitiveness, functionality, and features of industry leading ATS's. Often times you have to edit and limit your workflows to what Workday can do, meaning it may not be the most efficient.Collecting data/metrics, especially when trying to break down to a micro level is very difficult, and sometimes impossible for what you're looking for. The data visualization also lacks far behind other ATS's.Employee referral tracking is a pretty bad experience. It actually creates more work, and makes it more difficult to hire and track referrals. We use a completely separate program for these.

PJ

Patrick J M.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Experienced Architect Required for Success

I have configured Workday daily, for the past 7 years. I have configured every module from payroll to benefits to recruiting and you'll be hard-pressed to find another Workday expert with as much experience as me.

Pros

Workday is the best HCM software in THE world. Nothing and I mean nothing is superior. We can argue about the competency of individual modules, especially payroll, but as a core HCM platform, no other software can compete. Anybody that says otherwise does not know what they're talking about. Anybody that complains about usability is probably not working with a quality Solutions Architect. To successfully implement and maintain this application, it is absolutely required that you employ at least one experienced, rockstar Solutions Architect. The application is expensive and is crucial that you fully leverage all of the technology that the app offers. Use its sophisticated features to optimize your HR department.

Cons

Workday knows that they have a real gem here. As a result, their attention to customer support has consistently declined as the popularity of the application has increased. Unless you're a major client oh, you're not going to get good customer support. What do I mean by a major client? I'm talking about the Google's the Facebook's the Adobe's, and even then, the support can leave something to be desired....

MT

Mihail T.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 10,001+ employees

Approved game changer software. Workday HCM is an effortless treasure.

Efficient and profound. Try Workday HCM for excellence, flexibility and transparency. I am a happy user.

Pros

I can talk about the benefits of Workday HCM all day. It is very efficient and reliable tool. It has given us control over activities revolving around payroll, payroll audits and payroll calculations. Workday HCM is also very user-friendly and easy to use. One unique feature about Workday HCM is the urgency it treats my work with. It is quite fast and accurate.

Cons

Cheers to the good work Workday HCM. I am contented with what it offers. I cannot complain.

AO

Anthony O.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Workday Review

Pros

It is user friendly . The interface is clean and straight forward.

Cons

It was different than Peoplesoft. it took some time getting used to but then it was fine.

NH

Nolan H.

Retail, 10,001+ employees

Workday HCM Review

I support a team that focuses primarily on data driven tasks, and within that world its' really import to step away from the numbers and the data and focus on what my employees are excelling at individually and see what challenges they are facing. I love that the employee is the one to input their goals and results, as that holds them accountable for any challenges they are facing. The email reminders are very helpful for both me and the team I support. It's a great tool that helps us connect and drive forward!

Pros

Workday HCM has been a big part of my employee success tracking since my organization made the switch. However, with my entire division switching to a remote / work from home model, it's been imperative to keeping my employees on track with their career development. Workday makes it simple and streamlined to create monthly, quarterly & annual goals for my team, and my favourite thing about the software is when an entry is needed or overdue from them, they receive a message to their inbox (so I don't have to send a ton of reminders - nobody likes doing that). On my end, I get updates regarding completion status of performance tracking, and I really like the transparency in terms of my employees receivng a notification when I have completed their forms on my end as well.

Cons

I find it a bit difficult to access previous performance reviews, and I somehow never get there on my first try when I try to access the previous quarters or months. If there was a much more obvious option on the dashboard that would make the Workday experience even better.

Philanthropy, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Finally getting away from PDFs

Pros

The best part of about Workday Performance Management is the ability to get away from manual processes. Previously at our company, we had to write our self-evaluations in a PDF document that was submitted to our managers. Then the manager could choose to write something completely different or utilize what was already written by the employee. Ultimately, the manual process left out information....

Cons

The biggest con for me is the lack of stating what can be improved. This could be a customized field that my organization failed to incorporate. If that's true, then maybe the improvement could come from WorkDay itself on best practices. But every employee wants to shine a light on all the good they did throughout the course of the year. It is just as important for each employee to shine a light on the things they could do better, or improve upon for the next year. Another con for our organization was the length of time it took to implement WorkDay within our systems. It was far from an easy task that took thousands of man-hours to implement. However, now that it is implemented and people are using it, it seems to have been worth the effort.

Kelly S.

Restaurants, 10,001+ employees

Workday helps our company recover payroll benefits

We are currently implementing Workday HCM across the organization for onboarding, benefits, staffing, time monitoring and absence management. We will be enabling the administrator self-management feature shortly. We will appreciate the ease of navigation and module features we started with Workday. I have previously used three workforce management systems - PeopleSoft, UltiPro and ADP. I consider Workday...

Pros

Our first experience was open enrollment last year. Those who tried it, stated that it was very simple and easy to use, Workday's interface. Accountability and visibility for absence monitoring. Managers have the ability to look at each team member's time off, as well as each team member's balance. Our company encourages employees to control their personal information and gives them the ability to set up and assign by pay type their direct deposit, federal and state withholding. In addition, everyone has a different perspective on their payroll, focusing primarily on salaries.

Cons

Out of the room, we didn't know what we didn't know. It took about 4 months to work out some of the personality issues and link the pieces together. Know how business processes affect each component individually. Some components are very finicky. In order for the system to work properly, there needs to be someone who is the in-house maintenance and troubleshooting specialist.

TS

Tiffany S.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Very User Friendly!

Pros

Workday is very easy to maneuver through, you can self-teach yourself pretty much how to do anything in this software. The categories are self-explanatory, its easy input/output for reports, great for payroll and timecard management. I highly recommend Workday to all businesses.

Cons

At this point in time, I cannot think of anything that I didnt care for with this product.

Kavindu Githsara K.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Why Workday HCM is the Future of HR Management

Overall, Workday HCM is a powerful HR management solution that offers a wide range of functionality and integration with other business systems. While there are some challenges associated with using the software, it is an excellent choice for businesses that require a comprehensive HR management tool.

Pros

Workday HCM is an enterprise-level human capital management software that provides various HR services. As an admin user of the software, I found several advantages to using it. First and foremost, it offers a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate. This makes it simple to access and manage HR functions such as payroll, benefits, and performance management. Additionally, the software has...

Cons

However, there are also some drawbacks to using Workday HCM. One of the biggest concerns is the complexity of the system. While it offers a lot of functionality, it can be overwhelming for new users.

Shannel M.

Think Tanks, 11-50 employees

Workday HCM, a victory in managing workforce.

Generally the experience with Workday HCM has been so beneficial to the entire organization both the employees and to the performance of our organization. It allows us to have well managed and orchestrated workforce which leads to us getting optimum results from all our work especially matters community awareness and development.

Pros

A valuable aspect about Workday HCM that we have really benefited from is how flexible it is as this allowed us to set it up in way that it perfectly matched with our nature of work. It allows us to get more productive results from individuals by aligning someones capabilities with the right kind of work roles. It has very reliable insights about workers which makes it easy to offer excellent work conditions which benefits both the company and the employee.

Cons

Despite Workday HCM being such an important product for managing workforce, all this comes at a cost. Also the user interface could be improved to get more intuitive.

Legal Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Powerful, but cumbersome

Powerful tool, but there is a huge middle ground between basic and pro users that need to understand how the platform works that have no access to training materials and little support from Workday itself. Has a lot of potential, but marred by clunky and antediluvian UX

Pros

Reporting - almost limitless functionality in terms of getting reports on salient information. Can pull just about anything, and as long as the data is clean at point of entry, it will come out in an Excel file very readable and easy to read Linear Process Maps - particular processes are very well laid out and structured if done right the first time around Employee landing page - bright, vibrant, presentable

Cons

Cumbersome - quite slow. Redundant graphics slow down page transitions, reports take a long time to pull if you are looking for a fairly normal size file, some processes can turn into roundabouts Navigation - back buttons for some, but not all pages, which doesn't make sense (have to go back to home page if you click through to the wrong area). No real logic to how hyperlinks work in platform, leading to rabbit holes while trying to follow a papertrail to its conclusion

BJ

Ben J.

1,001-5,000 employees

Difficult to learn without paying for courses but still a solid option

I have only been using Workday for a few months. After taking all of the integration courses and starting to build integrations I am reasonably comfortable with the back end but no front end knowledge which is required to test at least the inbound integrations. Be prepared to spend days researching certain topics before coming up with answers. I recommend hiring a consultant to help in house developers learn the tools and functionality if you decide to go with Workday.

Pros

-Basic functionality for end users is intuitive and easy to use. -Lots of options for integration with third parties -Easy to use, custom, report capability with the option to expose reports as services (RaaS). -Fairly easy to learn and use add-in for Eclipse for complicated integrations (Workday Studio).

Cons

-Training is expensive and is basically required to do an implementation due to lack of available reference material. Recording the online training for future reference is not permitted -The workday community site is cumbersome (searches are not ranked according to relevancy and it can take many hours to find what you are looking for). Some workday studio components don't seem to be documented at...

EC

Erika C.

Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 employees

Workday has , is very good

You to see that you’re able to contact certain individuals and what contacts are individuals that hand with who and where exactly does the Chena command lead in fall in the company dynamic which is really good and gives the building for employees to have access readily to make changes if needed on their own, or access, associated programs or departments

Pros

It is very easy to use, and, like it says, in a teamwork day, gives the overall function and ability to manage anything that you need to when it comes to daily operations, and overall employee productivity

Cons

I don’t like how some information does take time to get updated. It could definitely be more cost-effective if things were given better time management to see such information available immediately.

DC

Douglas C.

Insurance, 10,001+ employees

Great Tool for People Management and is Very Easy to Use

Workday HCM has been excellent. Very easy to use, lots of capabilities, and allows employees and team members to use the software to learn more about themselves and opportunities. It has been great for learning about my performance and seeing how I can grow and succeed. Whenever I see my payroll, I also always check the breakdown to see if everything is correct. I love the transparency and all the good documentation in the software, so nothing is lost on your employee file.

Pros

I like how intuitive the software is in the company and how easy it was implemented and adopted by the company. There are many, many features that are very useful for the day-to-day or week-to-week activities of our employees and team. I really like how every step is transparent and it shows you the hierarchy each decision goes through. For example if you are taking time off, it shows you who needs to approve next and the chain of command. This software is really a one stop shop for all Human Capital management in terms of performance, payroll, expenses, time off, training, and career management.

Cons

I actually don't have any negative things to say about workday HCM. It is really easy to use, and the documentation is really good on my employee file. If I need something, I can find it on my profile.

JW

John W.

Defense & Space, 10,001+ employees

Workday Recruiting will slow down your recruiting and confuse you. Not Intuitive

I've been a recruiter for 14 years and this is the second company that I have worked for that has WD Recruiting. I thought I could give it another chance, you know, maybe it would be better than a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it is worse!

Pros

None that I can speak of. I guess it integrates with back office systems, but don't they all. Reporting function is useless.

Cons

Workday is over-engineered, Not intuitive, obviously designed by people who have not recruited! It is confusing for applicants. Simple things like finding an applicants email address require vast navigation. I'm not sure who the people are who rated this product in this article, maybe an outsourced WD office overseas? But, this product will slow down your recruiting team with screen after screen...