CosmoLex Logo

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

soluno
practicepanther-legal-software

The technical support has been excellent, both from their quick responsiveness and their ability to solve any issues I may have.
My overall experience with CosmoLex has been excellent. The initial onboarding process was very useful and the data migration from my previous accounting software program was quite seamless.
Cosmolex is by far the best Legal Management Software on the market. The accounting is superior and specific to the legal industry and the client management options are unmatched.
Then why am I paying to use Cosmolex. Lastly, the customer service has been consistently terrible.
The only difficulty our firm has had has been in discerning how to remove or amend charges to clients once they have been billed and once payment has been received.
Second, when I chatted someone to find this "update" they could not find it or direct me to it. The lack of integrations (and the integrations they are getting) is really problematic.

Excellent Cloud Based Software

Pros

I most like that the accounting software is integrated.

Cons

I least like that I cannot create word documents or any documents within the software.

SS

Suresh S.

Thank you CosmoLex!

Great experience to support our law firm's needs!

Pros

CosmoLex has provided practice management support for Suresh Law to client our with with their technology, business and real estate law needs.

Cons

Plaid integration fails at times and needs resetting for bank feed.

AT

Aaron T.

Time to Switch to a New Service

I regret everyday not simply using Quickbooks and Clio like a lot of other law firms do. We are going to try a demo with a few other products, Abacus and CaseManager, but I really don't think you can go wrong with Quickbooks especially if you want the payroll integrations. We're basically paying twice the price of Clio and other time-management options for accounting software that does not work.

Pros

We liked that it appeared to have a bunch of services wrapped up into one--time-keeping for billing, accounting software similar to Quickbooks with an automatic feed into our accounts, and email archiving/practice management. The time-keeping component works well although you would think it would be easier to do mixed-fee or alternative fee arrangements given that these are the fastest growing in the legal industry.

Cons

The accounting system is a joke. The bank-feed regularly just stops syncing with no notification. We have spent so much time reconciling our books this year as a result of issues that Cosmolex refuses to address claiming its the result of their third-party vendor. We recently needed to transfer a file, and in going to export the emails, we learned that we would need to go into each email, print to...

LW

Lynda W.

The staff is really helpful and friendly.

Three software packages for billing, client accounting and back-end was TOO MUCH!

Pros

Everything was in one place. I didn't have to generate bills in one package, enter them in another for tracking income, and then pay them in two places as well. It is also great to be able to write a cost check in a case and have the expense "attached" to the client's accounting file/bill in a seamless matter with just an additional click or two. We were promised an easy migration with all the support...

Cons

I can't think of anything additional at this point; they have added all MY wishlist items! I think the only thing they could add at this point is a "hotline" 24/7!

SZ

Susan Z.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

CosmoLex does everything needed to keep our firm under control

We saw the biggest impact in time and billing -- it's easy to mark down the "tiny" slices of time because you are already in the file. Less chance of not documenting phone conversation or expense as you don't have to exit one program to enter into another.

Pros

Billing/Invoicing/Payment management and Account reconciliation features are what I like best -- easy to stay on top of the flow

Cons

I don't have a "least" -- I find CosmoLex easy to use and it does everything I need to keep our office well managed!

KM

Kristen M.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

CosmoLex for Law Firms

Pros

CosmoLex is a very helpful software to have in a law firm. It has been perhaps my favorite software throughout the handful of law firms I have worked at. The case management feature is great as is keeping tasks available to see in order to follow up on time-sensitive items.

Cons

There really is not much I dislike about CosmoLex.

Cosmolex works well

I like Cosmolex in most ways better than my old software but Cosmolex could still take some steps to improve the functionality and robustness of the software.

Pros

I like the online nature of the software and how easy it is to use.

Cons

There are some serious deficiencies with the functionality of Cosmolex especially for use in Canada. There are many reports that it won't generate. Trying to deal with GST is extremely difficult.

Hello - Thank you for your response and candid feedback. There is a full deck of tax reporting as well as Law Society Compliance Reports available for use in the reports section. Our users' experience is our top priority so please reach out to us at support@cosmolex.com to further discuss, or receive assistance in navigating the various reports we provide.

Easy for Me, but Difficult for Clients

Pros

It has IOLTA reporting and I like the features for the price compared to Clio.

Cons

Sometimes the clients struggle navigating the client portal, so it is inconvenient taking the time to guide them through the process.

Danny H.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Overall I am very satisfied.

Pros

It is Easy to use and has logical organization.

Cons

Certain features are very difficult to correct mistakes in, and the existing videos and articles are not helpful to me in resolving.

Deborah R.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Cosmolex was an easy choice

Pros

Cosmolex lets me have the bigger picture in one piece of software. I can easily see how my business is doing from the dashboard.

Cons

I would like to have a report that shows trends and exports to excel so I could create graph charts. It would also be nice to be able to produce an invoice showing the work put into a fixed fee matter.

2 Years Wasted

Cosmolex ended up being a major disappointment. Too many of the supposedly great features turned out to be practically useless. Clients can only upload one document at a time and then only if the name is 64 or less characters. Clients can only download one document at a time. The API is closed so automation is much more difficult and expensive. Email communications cannot be shared through the portal. The platform whereby custom invoices are created/modified is archaic and difficult to use.

Pros

Document Integration with OneDrive and integrated billing

Cons

The most important components of the software were rendered useless due to lack of most obvious features.

MW

Matthew W.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Great for small firms, not so great if scaling up

We've been using CosmoLex for 2+ years so they haven't scared us away...yet.

Pros

Client portal is a terrific feature (when working), the ease of time entries is terrific. Very simplistic interface for invoicing and collecting fees. Integration with LawPay is cool.

Cons

There's lots of bugs and seemingly easy fixes that get overlooked and/or ignored. The portal will shut down unexpectedly and/or clients cannot access multiple matters without additional email addresses. There is no function for recurring billing (i.e., ongoing or payment plan clients). Customer service is a nightmare to deal with and takes weeks to complete simple tasks.

MB

Michele B.

Overall Review of Product- Our THoughts

Pros: One program for almost everything. Cons: No document assembly; you can only link one person to the client portal; glitches in program- the program emailed an invoice to the wrong person; can not email through program; glitch- I had to give access to everyone for everything because the limited access features did not work; customer service is not the best; calandar portion has glitches when it interfaces with gmail and office 365.

Pros

It is a comprehensive software. Its like having Quickbooks and a practice management program in one. This is the best feature.

Cons

Lots of glitches: (a) it emailed an invoice to the wrong person; (b) user restrictions do not work in my office; (c) calendar is not on the main page- usability is difficult for some tasks; (d) you can only have one person assigned to the client portal. Does not have email capabilities Does not have document assembly Does not have automatic assignment of matter numbers. Limited reporting features- you can not tailor reports (financial)- very limited.

Hi Michele, We appreciate your feedback related to your experience with CosmoLex. In regards to the issues you are having, please reach out to our support team directly at 732-595-9015 so that they can see first hand the issues you are experiencing, and assist with resolving. I will be entering the requests you have made as well, so that we can keep you up to date on their progress. As an additional note, we will be releasing Document Assembly within the next few months and are always open to hear your suggestions on improving our current reporting. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you.

WC

William C.

Great Product

My experience with Cosmolex has exceeded my expectations. I did a lot of research on what is out there in the market and Cosmolex came out on top, primarily because of the integrated backend accounting so that I did not have to deal with QuickBooks. Over the last couple of years, using Cosmolex, has been awesome. Being able to keep track of my time with the timer, bulk entry of Timeslips, ease of sending out invoices, invoices with a link to pay electronically, inclusion of law pay as a part of the subscription, etc., etc., etc., are all wonderful parts of the experience.

Pros

Super easy to use. Billing with a timer, bulk billing (was added after I requested), super responsive customer support/chat, great reports, full back-end accounting

Cons

I can often think of new features I would love to see but obviously they cannot add everything I want immediately.

KK

Kristal K.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature

Pros

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature along with the other case management features as well as its interplay with Lawpay.

Cons

I would like to be able to search the calendar for a particular name. For example, if I am trying to determine when I met with a potential client, I would like to be able to search their name. To add to this, I would like to be able to add the potential client to the calendar entry when I add a consult so I can search the PC and determine when I met with them. As to the documents, I would like a way to search all the documents in the system. For example, I would like to be able to search for "Motion for Guardian ad Litem" and have all documents with that title, regardless of whose matter it is connected to. I would like to be able to pull matter balances from the app.

Thanks for your feedback, Kristal! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the advantages of an integrated accounting and practice management system. We're always looking to optimize our solution, so please feel free to make a feature request on our support site. Thank you!

HG

Heather G.

CosmoLex

It saves me time each month on billing and invoicing.

Pros

CosmoLex made going out on my own much easier. I particularly like that I don't need additional software on the accounting side of things.

Cons

I would like an easier method of doing conflict checks. I wish there was a stand alone tab for adding consultations in for conflict check purposes only.

RB

Rebecca B.

Love it!

Very well. Customer service is excellent. Very user -friendly.

Pros

We swapped from Abacus to Cosmolex a few years ago and its a MAJOR improvement. I love how it is continuously updated to better the program. It is very user-friendly and I love how customizable it is. I also LOVE the upgrade with the new spell check!

Cons

Nothing right now. We are loving the latest updates!

WB

Wendy B.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

The accounting is very easy to use which saves time.

It helps all of our staff stay on the same page and everyone knows what is happening in each case.

Pros

I like that the program has both accounting features and has the ability to hold all of our client's information in one. The accounting features are very easy to use. The support videos are very easy to use and if I need to speak to anyone they usually call the very same day.

Cons

I would like the calendar to be able to send emails to all of the attorney's as right now when I calendar an event in one attorney's calendar it will not let me send him/her a reminder unless you put the event on another person's calendar. The point of putting stuff on the calendar is so they see the event and they have reminders

Hi Wendy, thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your comments.

CL

Carlo L.

Law Practice, self-employed

Accounting is more precise and up to date.

Pros

I chose CosmoLex primarily because it is both a client management system and accounting system in one solution. Additionally, CosmoLex pays my monthly LawPay access fee. All of this really helped my small, but growing practice save some money, while getting all the tools I need.

Cons

I had to take down my website credit card payment link, but CosmoLex "prefers," and everything is recorded easier when, you process credit card transactions through their portal. There should be a way for me to accept credit cards on my website, like through native LawPay, or on the app.

Thank you for your feedback, Carlo! It's great to hear that you're enjoying all of our practice management and accounting features, as well as taking advantage of our LawPay offering. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review; understanding the pros and cons of our solution from a user's perspective is invaluable in our efforts to constantly improve.

PC

Peter C.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

2 year Cosmolex User

Having a cloud based system during Covid and into the future allows our firm to be flexible and current. Although pricey, the value is still there and we enjoy using this software.

Pros

Cosmolex integrates the accounting software and features we needed with the management of our law practice. Support takes care of any issues that arise quickly and efficiently.

Cons

Some parts of customization are not intuitive and assistance from customer support is sometimes required. Luckily, customer support is quick and easy to access.

WM

William M.

Excellent Law Practice Management App

have been using Cosmolex since its introduction and am very happy with the application. I started using the software just for trust accounting, but found its easy-to-navigate interface so easy to use that I started keeping time and expenses and using the billing function as well. Then Cosmolex added full back-end accounting functionality and I ditched my QuickBooks app altogether. Cosmolex continues to add functionality and compatibility. It's a great app for managing your law practice.

Pros

Easy-to-use interface Accurate trust accounting Broadening functionality Complete integration of functions Growing compatibility with other class-leading applications

Cons

The only thing I am wishing for is the ability to generate documents from the Cosmolex database, but this is coming I am told!

OA

Olufikemi A.

Very great Practice Management software

It has been very easy for me to create a matter, do my billing and invoicing, and the client portal is a nice touch that makes my clients believe that our office is sophisticated.

Pros

I love the instant live support chat function. It helps a lot when i have absolutely no idea how to navigate

Cons

The pricing is very high compared to the Canadian counterparts

TR

Talon R.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Switched from PC Law in December of 2019 and never looked back.

Pros

Integration with other software is key to its value.

Cons

As they roll out new features, I sometimes encounter bugs. They've got a great response time and great customer service though when that happens.

RR

Robert R.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

The ideal system for my purposes

Pros

Cosmolex is a web based system that gives me full flexibility of where I work and on what device I access my data. Moreover, the fact that Cosmolex is a fully integrated billing, accounting and trust accounting system makes it the ideal system form my purposes

Cons

I would like to see a more robust program for the migration of all of my prior accounting data - at least for the current C/Y of conversion so that I will have a full. accurate and consistently organized set of reports to submit to may accountant at year end. I would also like the migration to cover all of the detail for all of my Trust Accounts from day one forward to date of conversion to Cosmolex. This will facilitate any and all client or other audits of each Trust Account

Hi Robert. Thank you for your review and feedback. In regards to your note about migration. Financial Migration is never an 'easy' process. While most firms choose to migrate balances from a particular cut off date (we supply many automated tools to assist with that), you absolutely can migrate all previous transaction history. For your taxes, the current tax year is most relevant, but for your trust account you may wish to import past history. That does require additional time and labor, and cost if outsourced, but it is definitely doable. Any questions, please let me know.

EE

Ed E.

Essential

Again, it's essential to my practice, and the built-in accounting is fantastic.

Pros

I was reluctant to subscribe to a practice management solution, but now can't envision getting along without it. It has everything I need from time tracking to accounting right at my fingertips.

Cons

I occasionally run into accounting difficulties in terms of writing off charges or editing past transactions, but I'm not sure that's a drawback of CosmoLex as much as it is my ignorance of accounting best practices.