CosmoLex Logo

Web Based Legal Practice Management & Accounting Software

visit website

CosmoLex Reviews

4.7

How would you rate CosmoLex?

KK

Kevin K.

KK

Kevin K.

Cosmolex is by far the best Legal Management Software on the market. The accounting is superior and specific to the legal industry and the client management options are unmatched.

SK

Shawn K.

Cons

Then why am I paying to use Cosmolex. Lastly, the customer service has been consistently terrible.

AT

Aaron T.

The only difficulty our firm has had has been in discerning how to remove or amend charges to clients once they have been billed and once payment has been received.

CM

Cole M.

Second, when I chatted someone to find this "update" they could not find it or direct me to it. The lack of integrations (and the integrations they are getting) is really problematic.

SE

Samantha E.

The ideal system for my purposes

Pros

Cosmolex is a web based system that gives me full flexibility of where I work and on what device I access my data. Moreover, the fact that Cosmolex is a fully integrated billing, accounting and trust accounting system makes it the ideal system form my purposes

Cons

I would like to see a more robust program for the migration of all of my prior accounting data - at least for the current C/Y of conversion so that I will have a full. accurate and consistently organized set of reports to submit to may accountant at year end. I would also like the migration to cover all of the detail for all of my Trust Accounts from day one forward to date of conversion to Cosmolex. This will facilitate any and all client or other audits of each Trust Account

Hi Robert. Thank you for your review and feedback. In regards to your note about migration. Financial Migration is never an 'easy' process. While most firms choose to migrate balances from a particular cut off date (we supply many automated tools to assist with that), you absolutely can migrate all previous transaction history. For your taxes, the current tax year is most relevant, but for your trust account you may wish to import past history. That does require additional time and labor, and cost if outsourced, but it is definitely doable. Any questions, please let me know.

Cosmolex is very intuitive software.

My assistant and I have enjoyed using Cosmolex, and now feel spoiled by all the great features compared to other file management and accounting software. I have been asked by several lawyers in my city to show them the program, and I wish I was more proficient with it so I could do it justice.

Pros

It does everything you wish other programs would do. It's easy to fix any mistakes you make in your billing without having to contact the company for a complicated "work around" solution. If you do have an issue or a suggestion, the customer service department is very responsive.

Cons

I would like if bills could be further broken down into taxable disbursements and non-taxable disbursements. My assistant and I registered for the training, but were unable to log on at the assigned time, but became too busy to follow up with this, so we have muddled through on our own for the last year.

It is a very stable product that is continually getting better.

Some of the shortcomings that I initially identified as possible deal-breakers have been remedied within the short time that I have been using the product (ex. the failure of multi-day events to properly appear on the calendar system). I am hopeful that the "ease of use" issues are addressed over time (quickly). Again, a very nice product overall, that has demonstrated an ability and inclination to get better.

Pros

The integration of accounting and check preparation into the law practice package.

Cons

The calendar is not easy to view and use. Quite frankly, I merely have linked to to my Outlook Calendar and avoid using the Cosmo calendar entirely. The other "con" which surfaces each time I use it, is that when you cycle to matters or clients, you cannot simply begin to type a name and have the system go to the name in the list. Being forced to do a search each time you want to go to a listing is really a time waste.

Essential

Again, it's essential to my practice, and the built-in accounting is fantastic.

Pros

I was reluctant to subscribe to a practice management solution, but now can't envision getting along without it. It has everything I need from time tracking to accounting right at my fingertips.

Cons

I occasionally run into accounting difficulties in terms of writing off charges or editing past transactions, but I'm not sure that's a drawback of CosmoLex as much as it is my ignorance of accounting best practices.

CosmoLex has made running our office easier than ever.

I cannot imagine how much work we would need to duplicate if we didn't have CosmoLex. I would recommend it to any practitioner, but especially to those who are solos or small firms.

Pros

We chose CosmoLex for our firm because we liked the bookkeeping integration. The system is extremely easy to use and more intuitive than QuickBooks.

Cons

Sometimes getting a call back on troubleshooting items can take a day or two. Usually my questions are not urgent, but if we ever needed something immediately, my worry is that it might not happen in time.

CosmoLex is an easy program once you get going

Our peachtree program, timeslips program, and trust account (old CosmoLex desktop version) were all becoming unsupported, and/or being phased out. We did not use peachtree to its full capacity, timeslips program very slow, and not easy to work with.

Pros

After researching we were ready to go with an all in one program for the law firm. Cosmolex is an easy program once you get going. Fast and friendly customer support. Willing to take suggestions on how to improve program. There is more accuracy in the fact that advancements won't be missed when clients pay.

Cons

More training videos on the business side of the program. The day to day bills, etc. Show how you would enter a payroll journal. The business side needs improvement - a box that would come up on the memo portion of the check - for your account number for that vendor, and then the invoice that you are paying for. Being able to pay for multiple invoices from one vendor with one check.

I found the user interface modern, straightforward, and easy to learn.

I came to Cosmolex because I was invited to a meet-and-greet with the CEO. He was great and really seemed passionate about the product, and that inspires passion in others. I saw him interact with other users and take into account their feedback and the changes they wanted to make to the product. When I tried it out for myself, I found that passion reflected in everyone else I talked to at the company and that's a great thing. It means that support really wants to help you, instead of just get rid of you. CosmoLex is a product that's updated regularly and that seems to really take into account what their users want to see, and that's perfect for me.

Pros

I found the user interface modern, straightforward, and easy to learn. It was also cloud-based, which is a plus, and I found support very helpful.

Cons

The UI can be very slow when moving from page to page. Certain tasks are difficult because pop-up windows exist only within the frame of the page and you can't move them around to reveal other data you might want to access to fill things out (like copying a regularly-used hard cost, for example). Some of the banking stuff was more difficult than necessary because it didn't let you enter things. For example, if a bill was paid by someone other than the client.

One of the most intuitive and robust programs out there.

Pros

Incredibly easy to use. We use it to manage our trust account (although I know it does so much more), and the reporting complies with the multiple states in which we hold licenses.

Cons

Why can't the font be easily changed for the address printing on checks? Due to the font, we cannot use a window envelope when mailing; we have to address another envelope. Also, would like for it to separate different trust accounts out easier to run reports.

I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks

I decided to hang up my own shingle, so I needed software to handle the management of my office, especially since it was going to be just me by myself to start out.

Pros

I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks to handle the money management aspect. Nothing against Quickbooks, but I don't have experience using it, and being a solo practitioner and needing to maximize the time I have, I appreciated not having to learn Quickbooks. I also think the interface is user-friendly, and I love how everything can be tied back to a matter. I also really like how my bank...

Noah's Review of Cosmolex

Overall, Cosmolex is easier to use than TABS. Certain elements are great, but the slowness of the website and lack of features regarding specialized billing can be frustrating. The single best part of Cosmolex is their customer support staff that is always quick to help.

Pros

The best features of cosmolex are A) The intuitive nature of the platform. The categorization makes sense, and makes searching matters, seeing outstanding balances owed, and viewing trust fund balances easy. B) The accounts payable section is well put together and easy to use. C) Customer service is great.

Cons

I don't like how slow it runs - seems as if the website could run faster, also there are occasionally glitches and I need to close the browser and restart. Also, there is no feature for running bills for outstanding amounts due for clients without billable time for the month, and there is no feature for running courtesy bills for clients with no active time or amount due, but monies in trust.

We are very pleased with the overall experience

We are very pleased with the overall experience and moreso that CL has certified vendors that understand the software. This is how we found our current bookkeepers.

Pros

Bank Feeds make the consolidation between billing and accounting easy and we don't have to purchase two pieces of software.

Cons

While we are a small law firm, we do bank work and have lots of matters, meaning lots of invoices (We typically have 150-200 per month). The Cosmolex interface struggles with this, especially when it comes to batch invoicing and emailing bills. The system often lags or completely stalls when generating batch invoices.

User Friendly Product

My overall experience with CosmoLex has been excellent. The initial onboarding process was very useful and the data migration from my previous accounting software program was quite seamless. The technical support has been excellent, both from their quick responsiveness and their ability to solve any issues I may have.

Pros

Having a web-based platform is important so that I can access it from anywhere. CosmoLex has a user friendly interface compared to the previous accounting software I used. It also suits my needs for having one platform that includes accounting software and practice management.

Cons

The two features I would like to see are a client intake form (which might already be part of the platform; I just haven't found it), and a scheduling app where clients can see my available time slots and select which times work for them. Having said that, CosmoLex will sync with programs such as Outlook, which is useful.

I like the integration between the accounting and billing, something that was lacking with the program at my prior firm. I also find it very easy to bill time and generate invoices. I looked at a variety of programs when I opened my own practice and CosmoLex seemed to be the most user friendly.

Pros

It was less expensive than other programs I looked at while still having all of the features I need. I like the fact that it is cloud based which allows me to access it from anywhere. I live 20 miles from my office and can do my accounting work from home of an evening rather than take away from billiable time to do so or drive back to the office after hours. The training videos are great.

Cons

I would like to have the ability to bill more than 8 hours. While hardly an every day occurrence, when I am in trial, I may be in the Courtroom for ten or twelve hours depending on the Court. Right now I have to break that time up. I also have some large clients that want me to send bills to more than one address, depending on the project. Right now that is rather difficult to do automatically as I can only set up one billing address per client.

Legal Billing Done Easy

CosmoLex makes our billing and time keeping for our law firm easy! I'm able to input my with ease and work with my staff to make sure every client matter is billed appropriately and timely. I use this software daily and can't imagine switching.

Pros

-Simplicity of Billing -Wonderful User Interface -Easy Search options and client intergration

Cons

-Timekeeper allocation and changing from fixed fee to hourly billing can be tricky to change

Thanks for your feedback, Ford!

2 Years Wasted

Cosmolex ended up being a major disappointment. Too many of the supposedly great features turned out to be practically useless. Clients can only upload one document at a time and then only if the name is 64 or less characters. Clients can only download one document at a time. The API is closed so automation is much more difficult and expensive. Email communications cannot be shared through the portal. The platform whereby custom invoices are created/modified is archaic and difficult to use.

Pros

Document Integration with OneDrive and integrated billing

Cons

The most important components of the software were rendered useless due to lack of most obvious features.

Amazing!

Pros

Cosmolex is very user friendly. I like that everything is all in one (calendar, tasks, matters, billing, documents, etc.) Everything is right in one spot. Cosmolex has made our firm very efficient.

Cons

We have recently been having some issues with adding documents. But customer service has been super helpful! Besides that, we have not had any major issues with Cosmolex.

The only software my law firm needs to operate

The value of Cosmolex is in its integration, from calendar and client mamangement to accoutning and banking, and document management, this product allows me to seamlessly switch tasks in the many hats I wear as the owner of my own small law firm.

Pros

With mobile and online access, including accounting software and a client portal for secure access to documents, Cosmolex is the only software I need to operate my small law firm.

Cons

Lag time on customer service return calls, I wish I could get someone to help me right when I call, not wait for them to return my request.

Truly a “one-stop shop”

I began my law practice with CosmoLex so I wouldn’t have to start on paper then transition to law practice management software. CosmoLex gives me the comfort of knowing that I have all facets of my law practice organized in one place.

Pros

I chose CosmoLex over other law practice management solutions because it is truly a “one-stop shop” for all of your law practice needs. I specifically like the integration with LawPay, and it’s built in accounting functionality.

Cons

Maybe I don’t understand how the DropBox sync feature works, but I thought it was automatic, not manual.

Thank you, Erin! We're glad you were able to start your practice with us! If you ever have any trouble with any of our features or integrations, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team for help.

Great All In One CRM for Lawyers

It's been a great experience and I would highly recommend Cosmolex. I've used Clio as well and greatly prefer Cosmolex to Clio.

Pros

The functionality of the system is good and is relatively easy to use. The support features and articles are great. I've been able to solve most of my own issues without the need to submit a help ticket.

Cons

The accounting portion of the software integrates well, especially with trust accounting. However, the actual accounting side is clunky and harder to use than alternatives such as Quickbooks.

Cosmos Lex Review

Pros

We love the dashboard and the ability to use the app on my phone.

Cons

I would like to be able pay bills each month directly from Operating retainer once the bill is finalized.

I started my own firm...and had to implement an accounting system.

I started my own firm in January and had to implement an accounting system.

Pros

I am happy with the customer support. They call me back ASAP and fix the issues. The invoices can be customized as so many of the clients have very specific billing requirements.

Cons

Software to manage payroll , as I use a different service for for payroll tax and employee escrow and direct payment of employee. It would be great to integrate as I have to enter the payroll payments directly into the accounting program.

Hi Susan. Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions. We have payroll integrations coming soon, so keep an eye out. That will allow you to use a service to process the payroll, and then those entries will be made on your GL in CosmoLex for you.

Cosmolex works well

I like Cosmolex in most ways better than my old software but Cosmolex could still take some steps to improve the functionality and robustness of the software.

Pros

I like the online nature of the software and how easy it is to use.

Cons

There are some serious deficiencies with the functionality of Cosmolex especially for use in Canada. There are many reports that it won't generate. Trying to deal with GST is extremely difficult.

Hello - Thank you for your response and candid feedback. There is a full deck of tax reporting as well as Law Society Compliance Reports available for use in the reports section. Our users' experience is our top priority so please reach out to us at support@cosmolex.com to further discuss, or receive assistance in navigating the various reports we provide.

I cannot imagine running my practice without this software.

Makes day to day billing and invoicing so simple and easy. I also like how you have everything in one place software wise.

Pros

The ease in creating invoices and time keeping features. When I first started looking for a software this was the only one with the integrated quick books features.

Cons

The software doesn't always fit to my specific billing needs. Also it can be tricky to go back and edit past invoices.

I like the ease of functionality the best.

I have been using Cosmolex for about three and a half years. I was an early adopter and I really like it. I probably don't use as many of the functions as I should but what I do use, I really like. I have recommended it to people in the past and will continue to do so.

Pros

I like the ease of functionality the best.

Cons

I think the accounting is more difficult than the legal end of it, but I am not an accountant.

Love it.

Pros

I love the functionality and design. Very easy to use. Great customer service as well.

Cons

I am not sure about how secure the software is. I would love to learn more about it.

Thank you for your review, Sujung! We're glad to hear that you're getting the most out of our product. Feel free to reach out to our support team, or check out our knowledgebase, with any questions regarding security.