Donorbox Logo

Donorbox

Online fundraising platform & website donate button

Donorbox Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.13/10

Reviews by rating

We have been using Donorbox as the donation page for our website since we launched the site. We love the software so much its been such a huge help to us.
I can’t imagine how we would have raised the funds we have and had the opportunities that have been created for us without DonorBox. It’s without doubt the best donation software for charities.
We loved giving donors the ability to login to recurring gift management. It also allows donor to cover processing fees (and they use it if it's there!).
I struggled a bit to set up my payment method.
If you are not technologically proficient it can be a little intimidating.

Bonita S.

Owner

Alternative Medicine, self-employed

Excellent Customer Support

Transcript

Bonita: Hi, my name is Bonita. I'm a web designer. I give Donorbox five stars. For more reviews like...

PW

Pam W.

PhD Researcher

Higher Education, self-employed

Can't get along without Donorbox!

Transcript

Pam W.: Hi, I'm Pam, I'm director of operations, and I give Donorbox a five out of five. Click below...

Jennifer B.

Proven results

Pros

Ease of creating campaign pages. donor managementeasy to pull reportsrecurring donation portal is super helpful set upflow of site is easyvery responsive support team.QR CODES had expanded our ability to fundraise onlineSaw a huge jump in online gifts since starting with donorbox!Saved on employee time and headaches!

Cons

After donation page should be HTLM editable to allow for creative control. Ability to deploy a thank you video through the donor management system, that would then update through Salesforce (maybe by creating a link to the video?). That would be a big benefit.

RD

RussAhna D.

Individual & Family Services, 1-10 employees

Great Service | Would Recommend

I had a great experience with Donorbox because Donorbox values people and individuals doing work like our organization and it shows in how they operate and how their services work. Set up and implementation were a breeze and the Donorbox representatives emailing me always gave me clear, honest, and direct answers to all inquiries.

Pros

I like its accessibility most. Between the price, the pay options available to donors, the multiple notifications for contributions, and then the fast and friendly customer service, it was definitely a great choice for the needs of our organization.

Cons

I do wish the donor-facing page for individual campaigns would have more styling options. A few more font options and a few more background options would do it for me. I think that wouldn't be too much to change, while still recognizing the service I used was free. Additionally, though I received a quick and thorough response about this from a Donorbox customer service representative, I also wish the information about Paypal and Stripe fees were a little more clear during set up. This wouldn't have changed our choice to go with Donorbox but it would have given us more room to prepare to add this information to our budgeting documents.

AW

Amanda W.

Political Organization, self-employed

"Free" tier is not free!!!

Money was held for a long time, may have cost me the election as a small grassroots candidate. Stripe fees were also terrible. If I run again, I will not be choosing Donorbox. It's only for big-money candidates, apparently.

Pros

Ease of use, at least at first. Liked the plugin option for website

Cons

Fees are excessive compared to other platforms

Hi Amanda! Thank you for your feedback. We're really sorry you didn't have a very good experience with Donorbox. Regarding your fees: Donorbox is actually amongst the lowest-priced donation platforms available. Other platforms usually appear cheaper because they aren't always upfront about mandatory fees. We use Stripe and PayPal as payment processors, as many other platforms do. You can find...

GB

Gwendellin B.

Education Management, self-employed

Happy Donorbox User

It’s efficient, simple, and American. Makes me feel more secure about payments.

Pros

The tools are easy to navigate and simple. User friendly and intuitive.

Cons

I haven’t seen anything I don’t like about the software.

JM

Jake M.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Donorbox: the Patreon alternative you didn't know existed!

Honestly, much better than I expected. Super easy to use. The design of the home landing page didn't scream 'quality' to me, but once I signed up I realized I was wrong. This is a very professional group.

Pros

I LOVE that Donorbox was so easy to set up. And their customer service was so quick to respond, answering the questions I had. Basically, I am a for profit, but I use Donorbox for general support of my media production content. Patreon supporters wanted a backup, and Donorbox offers that, and also offers the ability to get one-time payments for supporters.

Cons

No cons. I like how it integrates with Stripe to be honest. Easy to set up.

Hi, Jake! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. We really appreciate your feedback and our team has made note of it. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

LA

Linda A.

Used monthly for 2+ years

For Online Nonprofit donations

It has worked for us since 2016 and appreciate how stable it is.

Pros

It is a One click donation platform that works for Donors

Cons

A challenge to figure out how to get to customer service

AM

Andrew M.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Donorbox: the best way to receive online donations

Truly a set it and forget it type of service, after initiall setup, we rarely have to mess with it at all. which frees up my time as the program manager to deal with more issues and not to have to worry about the electronic payments receive. Donorbox is the type of system that just works. We never have errors or issues with the service and we've been happily using it for several years. also it meshes well with most of the bigger CRM type services like salesforce, monkeypod.

Pros

We love how easy to use donorbox is, once we got it setup it just always runs in the background and is always gathering data, which proves invaluable when we apply for grants, and when we try and expand our program. it allows us to very easily display all of our donation metrics. Also it truly is a set it and forget it type of service. We rarely have to perform any maintenance

Cons

We wish that there was a way to export data and have it easily sync with systems that dont have a built in sync up with donorbox. Luckily most of the services we use have a built in option to link up with our donorbox. But for those that don't it can be a little difficult for someone who isn't very tech saavy to pull that data and import it into other databases

ZM

Zina M.

Highly Recommend!

I really love this app. It is so easy to use, and you can run multiple campaigns simultaneously.

Pros

Ease of use. Ability to run multiple campaigns at the same time. The ability to fully customize what information you want to collect and donor levels, also that you can put descriptions next to donation levels. For example, if you are fund raiser for a particular item, say a backpack, you cam say $20 - 1 backpack, $40 - 2 backpacks, etc.

Cons

Customer service can only be accessed through email, but they are very good about getting back to you.

MA

Marty A.

Terrific fundraising tool

Donorbox tracks donor info that we have to report, and that saves HOURS. If we took donations directly we'd have to keep that database by hand, risking compliance problems and adding a bunch more work.Website integration is very easy.

Pros

Simplifies setting up a donation campaign and tracking donor information.

Cons

Very little to complain about, but it would be nice if there were an easy way to tabulate net receipts--donations minus fees--for a campaign. Would also like a cheaper way to do in-person cashless donations, keeping in mind that we have extremely stringent donor reporting requirements (have to track name, address, employer, and occupation for each),More options for payment method--particularly Venmo--would be nice.

JH

Jeffrey H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Easy to Use

We've had great success with customer service answering our questions and solving any issues.

Pros

Once we were set up, it was easy to use. We like the option to send out yearly receipts in a couple of steps. We also like to option to add offline donations.

Cons

Nothing to improve on. Your services is what we like and look forward to using each month.

BS

Bonita S.

Computer Software, self-employed

Excellent Customer Support

Donorbox requires only a little learning to get the backend interface. It displays a beautiful donation box on the website, and it doesn't charge for features that other programs do. For a nonprofit, I think Donorbox is the best possible choice!

Pros

It was easy to set up. One glitch at the beginning that was dealt with in record time as soon as support was notified. It has been stable ever since. The organization had some questions about the way the fees work, and support went above and beyond to explain the fees and to suggest a way our nonprofit could apply for a discount with PayPal and save on fees.

Cons

I wasn't happy about the glitch that occurred that stopped the donor boxes from displaying properly on the website when I first set them up. They worked, and then, they didn't, and our account was not recognised in the system. However, as soon as it was brought to Donorbox tech support's attention, it was rectified, and the problem has never recurred. Hiccups happen, and since it has been stable ever since, I consider that a minor issue.

AW

Abigail W.

Performing Arts, self-employed

Used other for 6-12 months

Easy and Effective

The non-profit theater company I volunteer for did not have a good way to solicit small donations from members of the community, so I searched to find software that we could link to the company's website. Once I found Donorbox, I was able to set up an account with Stripe, set up our donation page, and then launch the site with the Donate button. We put a Donate link in our email newsletters, and have been receiving a steady stream of small (and sometimes not so small) donations. Though there are a couple of steps to the process (all clearly outlined by Dropbox), it took only a little while to link up all the back end stuff. Now, my colleagues are thrilled and amazed to watch the donations pour in.

Pros

I am not a web designer, I am a civilian. I volunteered to set up a donation button for the website of a theater company of senior citizens. It may be the greatest compliment of all to say Donorbox can be used effectively by people who are baffled by the internet. I don't think I can elaborate enough on why this software is simply the best. The instructions are clear and simple; everything works on all browsers; the interfaces are crisp and easy to understand. I have no trouble finding stuff on the dashboard. I can easily administer our team. When a donation comes in, the emails goes quickly to everyone that I've designated, so that the donors can be thanked.

Cons

I can't come up with anything; everything works.

Hi there! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. If you ever need our help or have any suggestions on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

RN

Rowan N.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Excellent option for non-profits to raise funds and manage donors and members

We are a small volunteer animal rescue charity based in the south of France. We needed a straightforward way to manage our membership programmes and also ad hoc fundraising campaigns by us and our supporters. Donorbox fits the bill perfectly, and I would thoroughly recommend it to similar organisations.

Pros

The ease of setting up, visual simplicity and ease of use, particularly on mobile was what initially attracted me. Also, the flexibility over cost, and how payment can be passed to donor and be adapted according to the campaign.The more I use it, the more I appreciate it's powerful reporting, ability to segment supporters and the fact it can be integrated into other packages like Zapit.We have also just started campaigns, both set up by ourselves, and also on behalf of our supporters. We can give the fundraiser access just to their campaign, so they can post update stories.

Cons

Very few cons we have come across, just a few functionality that we had previously or decided it would be useful, for example, having honorary members (currently there is a $1 minimum fee for members). But in the grand scheme of things, this is very minor. And the response came back quickly that they thought a useful function and would consider it :)

JD

Josephine D.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

A very helpful product, but a little tricky to set up if you want some control over options

Overall it was good, although it took much longer than I had expected. The website for Getting-started-with-Donorbox was extremely helpful and took you through the steps. But later, to modify information, it wasn't clear where that data was kept - Donorbox vs Stripe. Having to define my business and name an Executive Person was complex - and loading a .pdf for a utility bill kept failing (I had to make it a .jpg!).

Pros

For the user, the product is very easy to use, and it was up and running quite quickly. We began to receive donations quickly. Excellent! Creating Embed Code for us was extremely helpful. It was pretty well designed for ease of setting up.

Cons

Being from a computer background, but also a user in this case, I found the details about how information is used to be inadequately described. Specifically ... how the different e-mail fields will be used. Our main email is the church's, but we wanted finances and donation information to be to a separate e-mail address (for confidentiality purposes). In the end, this didn't work out. The boundaries between Donorbox and Stripe weren't clearly defined to me. The fee structure (Stripe and Donorbox) was not very clear in the end - what the rates were and who charged what.

Hi, Josephine! Thank you so much for your review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback. I'm afraid that we don't have much control over Stripe's signup requirements for uploading documentation, but our team will certainly look at how we improve our documentation to be more helpful. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Great product!

Our online donations have increased since using it. I love DonorBox.

Pros

-Pricing -Easy to set up donation forms -Mobile responsive, makes it easy to give -Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, round up donations -So many nice features!

Cons

It doesn't integrate with other things that we would like it to, so integrations are a little limited.

Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We're thrilled that you've enjoyed your experience with us and we appreciate your feedback! If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

MM

Michael M.

A Must-Have for Nonprofits

Several volunteers use this software and it is VERY easy to use. The reporting is quite robust and provides us detail that QuicksBook cannot. We regularly recommend Donorbox to other nonprofit organizations. The support for chat/email is fast and friendly.

Pros

We have been using Donorbox for several years and it has brought us into the 21st Century!

Cons

Nothing--they keep making regular improvements!

Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

DB

David B.

Political Organization, self-employed

Campain

Great

Pros

Easy set up. Easy for users. Easy to log in.

Cons

Need employer address. Hard to upload different pictures.

GP

Grady P.

I'm Grateful For Donorbox

I'm happy with Donorbox and don't have any complaints. Their customer service was quick to respond to my questions.

Pros

We had a year to transition to our own fundraising and donation platform. I'm no computer expert but was able to put all the pieces together to make it work.

Cons

If I could improve anything I would increase the amount allowed for ACH donations.

CK

Carolyn K.

Broadcast Media, 1-10 employees

Support our needs very well

I can now do trending analysis through the extract function - although need the above enhancement!

Pros

It's ease and simplicity is what I like best!

Cons

I submitted a request that would make SO MUCH difference and I'd like to know if it's in the works - Specifically, I want an "account" id to be captured for each donor - which I did add as comments. However, in order to capitalize on this - it has to be added to the TRANSACTIONAL extract I do each month so that I can LINK that account id to my monthly off-line transactional reporting - Please feel free to contact me for more clarity.

Hi Carolyn! Thank you for your feedback and your kind words. We're really glad you're enjoying Donorbox. We certainly understand how your request would improve the way you handle donations. Our team has been busy with some new features (Text to Give is almost ready), but we will look into your request when we can. If you need our help with anything else, please let us know at https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

NE

Nathaniel E.

Perfect For My Nonprofit

They have been a great partner for nonprofit. Our donation page looks professional and sending out tax receipts at the end of the year is as easy as it gets. I recommend them to other nonprofits.

Pros

- Charge very minimal and fair fees for my nonprofit which really helps. - Responsive and helpful customer service. - Easy integration and looks good on our website.

Cons

- Have to download a csv and navigate Excel to track specific fundraising goals.

KM

Katie M.

Easy to Use and Does the Job Well

Overall, I highly recommend. Customer support is quick to answer, forms are easy to create.

Pros

I had no prior knowledge in setting up forms like this - the step by step process was so simple to follow and allowed me to add in all of the questions needed specific to our Foundation. Our online giving has increased by over 300% in the last year!

Cons

Nothing I can think of - I did a lot of research on price, and this is one of the best. Especially if you don't get a lot of gifts online, you don't get much taken out.

SM

Stephanie M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Love using Donorbox to Manage my NFP!

Pros

Ease of use & signup! Provides a platform for even the smallest & newest of Not for Profits! The ability to ask donors to pay the fee with their donation helps cover the fees.

Cons

I don't have any Cons to report. All experiences have been positive.

JK

Jonathan K.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Great for getting started with online donations

Pros

Easy setup for nonprofits or churches with recurring giving and low costs. Combined with Stripe, you can get pretty decent rates for payment processing. Easy to use interface and multiple giving pages can be setup.

Cons

Lacks a lot of the donor management features that other tools offer.

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're glad you are having a good experience with Donorbox. We'd love to learn your thoughts on what donor management features you'd like to see in Donorbox. Any input you could give us would help our Development team. We're always looking for ways we can get better, so your feedback would be very much appreciated.

JS

Jea S.

Civic & Social Organization, self-employed

Customer support is outstanding!

My experience with Donorbox is fabulous! Every time I reach out, help seems to be there magically and immediately. The people at Donorbox go above and beyond to help me with every single detail. They never lose patience, are polite, friendly and remain professional.

Pros

It's well designed aesthetically, works well, offers a lot of options and is concise.

Cons

I'm not able to make changes on my own. It's difficult for me to grasp the concept/procedure. I always try to use it first on my own but ultimately, need help from support to accomplish my goal.

GB

Gina B.

Fund-Raising, 1-10 employees

GVCF review

Brilliant

Pros

Really easy to add to the website and use.

Cons

Nothing as it works very well, we have no complaints at all