Donorbox Reviews

4.68/5 (41 reviews)

Lauren Wright

Donorbox's Customer Service Sets Them Apart

Reviewed 2019-07-24

Overall, I would definitely recommend this product. Donorbox has helped my organization raise lots of money with their simple and easy to use platform.

Pros
Donorbox is a newer, free platform for allowing donors of your nonprofit to make a gift to your organization. By far, the best thing about them is their customer service. If you or your donor(s) has an issue, you submit a ticket through email and they get back to you generally within one hour. They then work quickly with you to solve whatever problem you're having. They have sent out surveys to clients and asked what features we would like to see added.

Cons
Donorbox has a login system for recurring donors, but none for donors who make a single gift or are regular givers. It would be great if that feature was included, as other companies that offer this type of service have. It would allow my organization to be more efficient and timely in other things we have to do.

Donor box review

Reviewed 2018-11-03

Even if text-to-give is not yet an option, I'd still recommend Donorbox over other donation systems. It's rare, from my research, to get this much of functionality, simplicity, safety, and speed for so little financial investment.

Pros
Really appreciate that Donorbox is so simple to use and so affordable. It's very helpful to have the option of suggested donation amounts as well - since starting to suggest amounts to our donors we've noticed an increase in donations! Really value the integrations with Salesforce and Mailchimp as well. This has allowed us greater functionality while keeping the cost of a donation system low.

Cons
There are many great things about Donorbox that I thoroughly enjoy. However, a built-in text-to-give technology would really take it to the next level.

Response from Donorbox

Thank you so much for your kind words! It¿s always great to hear that we¿ve helping our customers be more productive and successful.

You¿ll be happy to know that we¿ve actually already started plans for a text-to-give feature.

As soon as it¿s ready, we¿ll be sure to let you know. We¿re always working to make Donorbox better, so your feedback is really helpful and much appreciated.

If you have any other ideas or features that you¿d like to see, please feel free to let us know. We wish you all the best with your fundraising efforts.

Ed Grant

Off the Charts Useful!

Reviewed 2018-12-04

After nearly 2 years use, it has been amazing to see the ongoing options added to this amazing software.

Pros
Searched for a solution for a non-profit website donation page and found DonorBox interface. I was very happy with what I found, and have been even happier since starting use. From super easy end user experience, to simple implementation on websites, Donorbox rocks! Users can donate via bank card, PayPal, or bank account. No fees are charged by DonorBox unless $1000 per month is processed. Other merchant processing fees apply as usual. DonorBox loves mobile users too!

Cons
Only regret is that I didn’t find it sooner!

Response from Donorbox

Thank you so much for your sterling review of Donorbox! It really means so much to our team when we hear that our customers are enjoying their Donorbox experience. Our goal has always been to give organizations and donors alike the best donation platform possible. So, it's awesome to know that Donorbox is helping to make your workload just a little bit easier.

We welcome any suggestions you may have for us. It could be anything like a feature you'd like to see or perhaps there is something that we can do better. Your feedback would be really appreciated. And, it will help us make Donorbox even better.

All the best with your fundraising! And thank you again for your wonderful review.

Karen Geresy

Easy to setup several giving campaigns

Reviewed 2018-11-11

Pros
Love this tool because it is so simple to setup multiple campaigns that each have their own progress tracking and details. Embedding on my website is easy and just works. Set it and forget it type of thing. Pricing is simple. Entering donations received outside of the tool is easy.

Cons
Wish it had some additional integrations with my email tool or CRM.

Response from Donorbox

We¿re so glad that you¿re enjoying Donorbox. It¿s always great to hear that we¿ve helping our customers be more productive and successful.

I¿m not sure what email tool you are using, but Donorbox does offer a MailChimp integration as an optional extra feature. And I¿m happy to let you know that we do have future plans to develop our very own CRM feature. We¿ll keep you updated on that.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Chuck Baddley

Great Software and Simple to Use

Reviewed 2019-10-22

We have a non profit website and have run various fundraising projects from our site and Donorbox makes it super easy to set up custom donation campaigns and take payments. We use Wix as our website and it was very easy to set up on our site. Also, Donorbox makes it very easy to connect with our payment processor (Strype). In short, donorbox is awesome and critical to enabling us to take donations on our website.

Pros
Very easy to set up, manage and create donation capabilities on my website. Also, super easy integrations with my third party payment processor. I also like the data and reporting. I can see all of my donors, their status, their history, etc.

Cons
I would like to see some improvements to email capabilities. Emails are easy to set-up, use and execute but they are pretty generic. Would love to have some template options to chose from.

Abigail Wright

Easy and Effective

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-10-22

The non-profit theater company I volunteer for did not have a good way to solicit small donations from members of the community, so I searched to find software that we could link to the company's website. Once I found Donorbox, I was able to set up an account with Stripe, set up our donation page, and then launch the site with the Donate button. We put a Donate link in our email newsletters, and have been receiving a steady stream of small (and sometimes not so small) donations. Though there are a couple of steps to the process (all clearly outlined by Dropbox), it took only a little while to link up all the back end stuff. Now, my colleagues are thrilled and amazed to watch the donations pour in.

Pros
I am not a web designer, I am a civilian. I volunteered to set up a donation button for the website of a theater company of senior citizens. It may be the greatest compliment of all to say Donorbox can be used effectively by people who are baffled by the internet. I don't think I can elaborate enough on why this software is simply the best. The instructions are clear and simple; everything works on all browsers; the interfaces are crisp and easy to understand. I have no trouble finding stuff on the dashboard. I can easily administer our team. When a donation comes in, the emails goes quickly to everyone that I've designated, so that the donors can be thanked.

Cons
I can't come up with anything; everything works.

James Bishop

Donorbox is a great starter donation software that takes minutes to get running.

Reviewed 2018-07-13

Pros
Donorbox is simple and intuitive with great instructions to help get setup. One of my favorite things about Donorbox is that I'm able to keep donors on the site, through an embedded Donorbox form. I don't need to send them to a landing page off-site. That's a big deal and keeps donors comfortable finishing the process of giving.

Cons
Donorbox is still maturing and some features that I think ought to be built-in, they charge for. Like integrating with an integration software... I have worked with multiple other softwares that simply allow integration, and none of them charge, including other donation platforms.

Response from Donorbox

Thanks for taking the time to review Donorbox on Capterra!

We truly appreciate your honest feedback. Since we aim to keep our fees as low as possible, we only charge when absolutely necessary. We are, in fact, working on building features so that some integrations won¿t be necessary any more. It will be built into Donorbox.

We¿ll be sure to keep you updated with our progress.

We've also recently launched our API and Zapier integration that lets connect with any number of other platforms.

You can check that out here - https://donorbox.org/nonprofit-blog/blog-announcing-integration-zapier

Carolyn Kuchinsky

Support our needs very well

Reviewed 2019-10-23

I can now do trending analysis through the extract function - although need the above enhancement!

Pros
It's ease and simplicity is what I like best!

Cons
I submitted a request that would make SO MUCH difference and I'd like to know if it's in the works - Specifically, I want an "account" id to be captured for each donor - which I did add as comments. However, in order to capitalize on this - it has to be added to the TRANSACTIONAL extract I do each month so that I can LINK that account id to my monthly off-line transactional reporting - Please feel free to contact me for more clarity.

Response from Donorbox

Hi Carolyn!

Thank you for your feedback and your kind words. We're really glad you're enjoying Donorbox. We certainly understand how your request would improve the way you handle donations. Our team has been busy with some new features (Text to Give is almost ready), but we will look into your request when we can. If you need our help with anything else, please let us know at https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

suryad prakash

Best Fundraising Software

Reviewed 2018-11-03

Initially, we were sceptical of investing into a donation system, even affordable one, since we're looking for ways to save on all fronts. We thought we could just use PayPal. However, only when we switched to Donorbox we saw all the benefits of a donation system (i.e. the ongoing support, the variety of payment options, the suggested donation amounts etc.). Really recommend trying it out and seeing for yourself!

Pros
We have an international presence and also partner with a lot of companies so it's great to be able to accept company donations, accept multiple currencies and customize the donation forms in many different languages. It offers tons of features for a fraction of the price!

Cons
Although Donorbox offers the Salesforce integration, it'd be great if the Donorbox dashboard could be a bit more detailed and functional.

Response from Donorbox

Thank you for your feedback regarding our dashboard. We¿ll definitely take this to the drawing board and see how we can improve.

If you have any specific capabilities that you¿d like to see on our dashboard, please feel free to let us know about them. We wish you all the best with your fundraising efforts.

Jonathan Koop

Great for getting started with online donations

Reviewed 2018-12-18

Pros
Easy setup for nonprofits or churches with recurring giving and low costs. Combined with Stripe, you can get pretty decent rates for payment processing. Easy to use interface and multiple giving pages can be setup.

Cons
Lacks a lot of the donor management features that other tools offer.

Response from Donorbox

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're glad you are having a good experience with Donorbox.

We'd love to learn your thoughts on what donor management features you'd like to see in Donorbox. Any input you could give us would help our Development team. We're always looking for ways we can get better, so your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Rachel Sanders

I’m So Glad I Found Donorbox!!

Reviewed 2019-10-22

Because of you, my nonprofit now has a wonderful donation form that I feel confident using—and so do my donors!

Pros
Ease of use, affordability, very professional design, customization for integration on website, multiple options for embedding donation form (eg, button, pop up, webpage), and the option of accepting reoccurring donations and multiple payment methods.

Cons
Not as much customization that I would prefer on making a campaign, for example, adjusting what part of the background picture displays.

Kim Scanlon

Donor Box is easy to use

Reviewed 2019-10-24

It's very easy to use.

Pros
This software is very easy to use and helpful in directing donations our way

Cons
It has an ongoing cost associated with it.

Christina Perera

I am a non-profit Christian ministry and donor box has mad collecting ad accepting donations easy!

Reviewed 2017-10-03

So many benefits which include donation processing online, multiple donation accounts to keep track of specific events, built in donor management, automated receipts, and so much more! Love donor box, for the non-profit I would highly recommend it over PayPal!

Pros
Free processing up to 1000 dollars per month, automatic reoccurring donations, ease of use, built in donor management system, receipt automation and so much more!

Cons
It is hard to find something but if I had to pick it would be the ability to sell tickets along with donations. Adding this feature would be fantastic and about the use of other ticketing sits like eventbrite.

Response from Donorbox

Thanks for taking the time to review Donorbox on Capterra! We¿re so glad you¿re enjoying using our donation platform. You¿ll be glad to know that we¿ve already been making plans to develop a ticketing functionality into Donorbox. We¿ll be sure to keep you updated with our progress.

Anonymous

Donorbox is exactly what I needed

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-10-22

I looked hard for a way to accept a small number of monthly donations in small amounts that didn’t involve incorporating a business or doing a lot of overhead. Donorbox solves my problem!

Pros
It’s a free and easy way to accept automatic monthly donations.

Cons
I wish there was an app or at least a good mobile-friendly site design for the admin side of things.

Lyndall Bryden

Easy to use.

Reviewed 2019-11-06

I like that the user chooses how they pay to donation, the money is automatically paid into our account, the receipt is issued and all I have to do is log the donation into my excel spreadsheet.

Pros
It issues receipts so reduces my workload.

Cons
I'd like users to be able to write their campaign name in when donating so I know if the donation is on behalf of someone's birthday on the email I receive.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Jenna Nand

A great option for small organizations

Reviewed 2019-10-22

Donorbox was great for taking online donations, which is all that we needed. We didn’t have to pay too much out-of-pocket, which was helpful. I think this is an appropriate platform for a small political races like ours.

Pros
We liked that it was cheap and accessible, especially compared to competitors like ActBlue, whose monthly rate would’ve been too much for our small race.

Cons
I do not like their process of bundling your donations in the beginning and then depositing them only at certain times of the month, sometimes we really do need that money fast and having some sort of 24 hour or 48 hour deposit window like Zelle would be much more helpful.

Christine Howell

Invaluable resource

Reviewed 2019-10-22

I can’t imagine how we would have raised the funds we have and had the opportunities that have been created for us without DonorBox. It’s without doubt the best donation software for charities.

Pros
The extent to which I can customise each of our fundraising appeals is a huge benefit. Every appeal we have looks so professional and it’s so easy to create a bespoke appeal and loaf it onto our website

Cons
It’s hard to find anything to criticise about the software

Nate Evans

Perfect For Nonprofits

Reviewed 2019-10-25

It's been perfect for my nonprofit. Ease of use, little to no fees and a track record of donations.

Pros
- I love how easily it intergrated with my squarespace site. - They process donations for free if the monthly amount is under a certain threshold. - Different options for giving. - Look of it on my website

Cons
- Slow to add other options for giving. - Back end interface for giving could be easier to search and use.

Maya Berlin

Beautiful donation widget that works great!

Reviewed 2016-11-16

I've upgraded to Donorbox after using Paypal for the last 4 years for my nonprofit. After a few months, I noticed the difference when I reviewed my donations for my quarterly reports, and noticed an increase of 20% in recurring donations. Definitely recommended!

Pros
Recurring payments, integration with Mailchimp, Very easy to install!

Cons
More languages! Or custom languages, I saw you had German, Spanish, and few others, but what about Russian?

Response from Donorbox

Thanks Maya! Good luck with your nonprofit!

Ilma Ibrišević

Simple and Effective Donation System - Great Solution for Nonprofits

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-10-17

Finding a system that is simple to set up, effective, that integrates with our website, and allows us to manage donors - all for a fraction of the price of some of the other systems is hard. This is why we appreciate Donorbox!

Pros
Donorbox is very affordable and the process of setting up is very easy and user-friendly. I also enjoy that the forms are quite clean and uncluttered. They are very minimalist so and I can customize them according to my own brand. It's also great to attract and retain recurring donors. Highly recommend trying it out!

Cons
I would want the dashboard to be a little bit more comprehensive and sturdy - but Donorbox is still developing and constantly improving.

Lexie Norman

The best software for non profits and monthly donors

Reviewed 2019-10-22

I have been so happy with donor box in every aspect.

Pros
Donor box manages all of our monthly sponsors and reminds them of a payment is missed or needs to be updated . Our supporters like the easy of use of signing up

Cons
Nothing! This is the best software for non profits!

Jeremy Bachly

Best Recurring donation plugin for Wordpress

Reviewed 2017-02-03

I've switched to Donorbox about 2 months ago , and I can't be more happy with the results. The forms are simply beautiful, and really help in increasing conversion rates for donations and monthly commitments.

Pros
The look & feel of the forms. Very simple to make recurring donations

Cons
Waiting for the option to do test donations.

Response from Donorbox

Jeremy, thanks for the kind response.

Barbara Ma-El

It works, is easy to use and looks great!

Reviewed 2019-10-24

Pros
It's free for NGOs! The interface is elegant and modern, without being too clever. It's easy for us to set up and even easier for our contributors to use!

Cons
We have not encountered any Cons at all.

Anonymous

Inexpensive and simple donor-management platform

Reviewed 2018-09-29

Pros
Donorbox is the most inexpensive program I found when researching donor management software. Its pricing is exceedingly fair, and the setup process is very easy and user-friendly.

Cons
I wish the dashboard was a bit more robust, but it's nothing major. I also wish that I could import past donations via a spreadsheet rather than having to enter past transactions individually.

Response from Donorbox

Thank you for your feedback on Donorbox. We're always open to suggestions on making Donorbox better, so this is really helpful.

The CSV Import feature is something our developers are already considering for the future. We will keep you updated on that when it's released.

Regarding the dashboard, what other functionality would you like to see on it? You can always contact us at https://donorbox.org/contact

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Bobbi Cohen

Donorbox could be a good addition to your non-profit website

Reviewed 2018-09-12

I originally resisted adding this software to our arsenal because it could add additional expense. However, I believe it will encourage donations as it creates a simple and beautiful interface right to our webpage. It is much more flexible than using PayPal alone, and probably interfaces better with other payment vendors.

Pros
Ease of use, flexibility, seamless integration to our website.

Cons
Ran into one snag today where I added a feature twice and couldn't figure out how to delete the duplication.

Response from Donorbox

Thanks for taking the time to review Donorbox on Capterra!

Our goal is to create the best possible donation platform for our customers.

If you¿re still experiencing the duplication issue or need our help with anything, you can drop us a support ticket at https://donorbox.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new.