CAKE POS Logo

CAKE POS is built for restaurants of all sizes.

CAKE POS Reviews

Suggested alternatives

toast-pos
koomi-pos
gotab-pos

Our onboarding specialist [SENSITIVE CONTENT] did a great job and walked us through any difficulties as we learned and installed. Our Customer Success Manager [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has been awesome.
I love that I can customize the system as I want and edit very easy. I like that there are tons of options to create and easy to find.
Ease-of-use I find it very easy to train your employees on it everything is super simple and customer service is excellent.
Wife got cancer, covid hit hard and had to close for over a year. Tried to reconnect device but can't because of 3 missed payments prior to covid.
Sometimes it's hard to get support on the phone when something does go wrong.
The cash drawer and the insert in it are not built for the type of abuse they can take in some operations. I wish there was an option to purchase extra drawer inserts.

JI

Jason I.

IT

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Great Overall POS for Restaurants!

Transcript

Jason: My name's Jason. I am IT at The Saloon restaurant where I also manage and I give CAKE four stars....

Hey Jason! Thanks for taking the time to draft a video review. Love it! Looking forward to several more years of partnership as your business expands and grows. Thanks! CAKE Team

Ed Z.

Affordable, Effective, and easy to use POS System

I got an affordable, and effective solution for my POS system needs. We all have found the menus and programming to be easy

Pros

The price is the most attractive feature, as well as the ease of use. The flexible and affordable monthly payments are nice too.

Cons

Can't use terminal when someone is using the manager functions on other terminal. There are some short delays in running reports at times.

Thanks for your review, Ed! We are happy to hear that you are finding a lot of value and ease of use with your CAKE Point of Sale. We appreciate your feedback, I will pass this on to our Product Team. I know we are working on making a few improvements to reporting that will be coming out soon.

ML

Molly L.

Cake POS is sweet!

It's a phenomenal product - I've recommended it to many other restaurant owners!

Pros

Ease of use, ease of configuration, affordable

Cons

Back office / admin settings get a bit complicated and some are configured on POS and some through Admin Portal - I wish they were all in the same place!

PL

Patrick L.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

POS technology is behind. Customer Service is very poor.

You can contact me directly or follow the reddit thread regarding Cake POS. I have continued to update my experience with Cake POS and it is bad. Consistently poor experience at every turn and every new challenge of the restaurant.

Pros

It is a simple product but it is not for a table-service restaurant. Best for a simple counter service operation.

Cons

Customer service has been horrible. Bad attitudes, lack of help, and terrible at resolving issues.Tripled charged me for additional POS system.TERRIBLE installation strategy. Self-Installation with no assistance if it doesn't work. WHAT?Fabio blamed ME for the installation not working. It is a simple plug and play but what happens when that doesn't work. They shrug and say it is your fault. Wow. I've had much better experiences with LightSpeed/Upserve and SpotOn at my other restaurants.Avoid this at all costs.

BM

Barry M.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Hard to beat, I've used several systems.

Everyone that touches it learns it almost instantly. Programming it is almost as easy too.

Pros

Simple and covers all the bases. Cake has actually impressed customers! How often does a customer look at a cash register and think it's cool? Well, cake has, especially 4 years ago before everyone had an iPad. But we still get comments.

Cons

Can't put my logo on the receipts, would love to be able to shop for my own credit processing. I know that's not going to happen. But my logo on a receipt should be able to.

AM

Aaron M.

Cake(MadMobile) POS Review

Very solid, they have earned my respect and trust. I have appreciated the help getting everything going and the simplicity that the software provides.

Pros

Cake is an easy software to understand and use. Compared to Toast or Square the setup is straightforward, the interface is clean and the POS equipment is very high quality. Reports are instantly available, customer service is top-notch, and transactions are smooth and hassle free.

Cons

Customizing the online ordering screen as well as the second screen for the POS. Both are very limited and don't allow me to alter font, or layout/style. I'd like to represent my image better and I can't do that if I can't alter the fonts and add graphics.

KE

Kelly E.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Sometimes hard to use, sometimes not

Pros

The customer service people (most of the time) are so helpful with whatever to need

Cons

Sometimes it’s extremely confusing on what to do when a problem arises. Also wish it did timing features to different stations on the line

Hi Kelly, This is very helpful feedback, thank you for sharing. We are glad to hear our support team is helpful. Please never hesitate to reach out to support with any questions! Thanks! CAKE POS Team

DK

Danielle K.

Paddles Coffee

After hearing nightmare stories from others in the coffee industry with other POS systems, we wouldn’t change a thing. We are more than happy with the experience so far, and we are excited for the updates and changes we’ll see in the future.

Pros

Very easy to set up the menu; customer service has always been top notch; online reports include the information you need to run a business effectively; POS terminal is attractive and customer friendly.

Cons

Would love to see stamps integrated between POS and online ordering; accessing older reports is time consuming; some of the reports are buried within other reports and can be hard to find.

RH

Robert H.

Cake is the Best yet

Cake handles everything we need for daily operations

Pros

Ease of use, self input of new items, reporting in real time for on the fly decisions.

Cons

None, there isnt anything yet we have had issues with or had a question about that wasnt resolved.

MV

Mitchell V.

Cale POS Review

Great product. Great prices, great customer service

Pros

Easy access to back of house numbers. Great comparison categories.

Cons

Wish i could place an order to be picked up later and put a time on the check to print to kitchen . Also wish i could have at least 2 different service charge sliders straight from the ticket .

BT

Brenna T.

EZ as Cake!

Fantastic!

Pros

I love the simplicity and sleek design of the actual terminal and the software is amazingly easy to use and really lives up to it's name! It's easy as CAKE!

Cons

I would like to be able to have my gift cards expire.

JK

Jeremy K.

Absolute Garbage !!!!!

0 stars, horrible, would not recommend

Pros

user friendly and easy to use/program. pulling up reports anywhere anytime is nice, to bad they do not stand by their equipment, and have no loyalty to their long term customers.

Cons

Horrible customer service, junk equipment. I am placing my order for a new P.O.S. with square today after 4 years with Cake. they sell you faulty equipment and then over inflate the price on the replacement equipment. stay awayy!!!! I wish I did. $250 for a replacement router that connects the P.O.S. with the ipads, dead after 2 years, while paying monthly subscription fees per tablet too. what a Joke.

RD

Roman D.

Restaurants, 1-10 employees

Started out as a great solution but something has changed

Started out great but the recent missed credit card deposits are alarming and there seems to be a breakdown in communication internally. Might be the transition over to madmobile but something is going on. As a business owner shopping for a POS solution, I would give this time to see where this goes before jumping in. I'm in the process of shopping for a possible new solution.

Pros

Very easy to use and robust. Great reporting and features.

Cons

We are experiencing multiple instances of our credit card deposits not depositing on the days that they are contracted to deposit from Cake and it has impacted payments to vendors and payroll. There almost seems to be an disconnect between support and understanding the very real problem that this presents to a small businesses.

JL

John L.

Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees

Cake promises undelivered

While it functions fine for the ordering and set up. The back end portion for controls of labor are not in place. You also do not have a choice on who processes your credit cards. Twice in a month we were delayed credit card processing deposits into our account. While I do believe that it was probably the 3rd parties processing fault we have 7 other locations that have not experienced this problem at all. Maybe its time for Cake to change processors! When you have pending checks to clear and you don't get your planned deposit for your credit card processing it can be stressful day with banking.

Pros

The product was recommended by Sysco. The cost and the features explained was the selling point.

Cons

There is no partnered labor control ap that works with clock in of your employees on the Cake system . With Labor control being one of the largest cost factors and with all the new features that others offer. Cakes only partner is with 7 Shifts and for that you pay a hefty price even to be able to schedule on it. If you have one location maybe you can get by with the old paper schedule but with...

Hi John, thank you for taking some time to leave a candid review. First off, thank you for acknowledging our ease of use by giving us a 5-star on it. With that said, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that the delayed deposit caused. We understand that running multiple restaurants can be stressful enough. Our intention is to make life easier for our operators. As for your concerns in regard to labor control, we have and are making concerted efforts to push features that would be beneficial to our operators. In our 6.28.1 release, we added the feature to prevent early clock-ins from breaks. university.cake.net/s/article/What-s-New-in-6-28-1-0 Although we do not have overtime alerts, we are able to allow automatic clock-out times.

MA

Mike A.

Great experience, amazing support and the right way to buy software

Pros

We were using an older text driven system before that ran on an older OS on XP and we needed something that was Windows-oriented, vendor supported, and took support off of management's hands and handed it over to the people who are actually on the floor doing the work. Frankly the old system also broke a lot, and we needed something more technologically advanced. CAKE has been fantastic. Developing...

Cons

An ad-hoc reporting capability would be nice. The existing reports are substantial and you can download them into excel, but I would like to be able to create my own.

Thank you Mike for your great review of CAKE! CAKE Point of Sale makes it easy for you to work faster, more efficiently, and with less overhead. We¿re glad to hear your staff is loving it as much as you are!

SH

Shaun H.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Gives greater control over your point of sale and tracking!

Order accuracy and data tracking

Pros

Conversation Summary/Sample Review: Before we started with CAKE, everything was done by hand so we had to write stuff down which posed a challenge because now you had to know what went on everything and how much things were to charge for extra. There was also no way for us to track anything, really. Now we can track sales of items in general as well as hourly, and there is even an option to track by...

Cons

It would be great if customers could order online and pay with PayPal. An app for remote access to the system would be amazing.

Thank you Shaun for a great review! We do offer online ordering, and an app for remote access to the system. We've contacted your Customer Success representative to ensure that CC Diner and Ice Cream gets your just desserts! We're happy to hear CAKE Point of Sale saves time for team and adds more money to your bottom line.

TG

Tara G.

Great customer service

It is a good system, well supported by your representatives like [sensitive content hidden] .

Pros

The 24 hour customer service. Your representatives like [sensitive content hidden] , go the extra mile to help with any problems that occur. This gives me peace of mind and helps me deal with other issues.

Cons

Things seem to change in the menu when I have not changed them.

Thank you for the 5-star review! We appreciate your continued support. Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns!

BH

Bryan H.

Cake Review

This is my first POS system. I think its expensive but I think the system has help me recover at least part of the cost and now I know a lot more about my restaurant. The tech support team is very good. I have had the system for about 4 months now and I am still learning. I know the software people are in this to make money but for small companies you can't afford the add ons because the cost is too high. They don't explain about the add on pricing up front. I thought time tracking, scheduling and inventory would be standard. Overall I do like the system but I will know what ask and look for when my contract is up.

Pros

- Easy to use - Easy to change the menu - Online ordering is available - Keeps track of items left if I put in the quantity left - Tracks all kinds of things such as discounts, comps, etc. - System was fairly easy to set up - Tech support is very good

Cons

- Online ordering will not let you track the number of items left. If I put on the POS I have 3 special left that won't reflect to my online ordering so I have to manually turn it off. This has been my biggest beef because I have limited items on some things and I can't sell them online because the system can't track how many are left. - Credit Card money is slow to go in, we have not tried paying...

LT

Loc T.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Streamline and solid POS employee facing screen

Remote reports I can download or pdf a copy. Menu changes that is remote along with daily emails on sales summary. Easy to setup menu also.

Pros

I liked the system because it had a customer facing screen. I also didn't want to buy my own POS system so I could get updates from the software holder instead of getting stuck with outdated software. I like how they do send us updates and try to improve the system, constantly trying to make it better. I do everything remotely so there are a lot of new features that help with that too. I can pull reports quarterly and sales reports, look at tips and do all the payroll without a different system. Everything can be forwarded directly to my CPA. Even though there are things to improve on, I do recommend the system and like it a lot. I was very careful to pick the right one for the flow of the business, it feels right and after 2 years using it, it still feels great.

Cons

More frequent updates to remote manage since I usually work off site. Already does a good job, but lets keep the updates coming. I want to able to edit employee incorrect login times since I am always getting a text from an employee to help them fix it and be able to make discount changes remotely as well.

CAKE appreciates your thorough and thoughtful review, We're glad more than two years later you are still getting great value from CAKE Point of Sale. We keep innovating our products so that tips and payroll are a snap. We hear your needs about more robust remote management, and we'll send your thoughts to our product development team.

LJ

Lawrence J.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Why I Love Cake!

overall the CAke support team has been great. and like i said the hardware rocks although a bit complicated to install so many different pieces.

Pros

Let me start out and state, I LOVE the hardware. I hate those POS systems that you have to flop around or twist for the customer. This hardware looks professional and works well. Our customers like it to as I sanitize after every transaction and they can see what I am doing. For the most part the software runs well.

Cons

I don't like that I cannot access numbers that are not within 120 days. That is a pain as I like to compare figures and also need data from earlier in the year. I hate that. Also the note system should be better and should allow you to add info whenever you need to ... sometimes that is after the transaction and i have to resort to handwritten notes. not fun.

ls

lorenia s.

good program

Pros

When we switched from our old POS to CAKE, we were looking for something faster and easier which is exactly what we got. Our old system had a server and all the data made it super slow. We like having the ipads that take orders faster right at the table. It's a lot easier to update the menu or make changes and I can actually change it from my computer so I don't even have to be in the restaurant. I can do it from home the night before and it'll be ready the next day. I also look at sales reports and employee hours from home a lot too. There's not a lot of user error, and it makes things in general a lot smoother.

Cons

the connection with iPad has to refresh often , that means the waitress has to check iPad before going to tables i am not sure is because the system or our connection is very poor.

CAKE is happy to hear the Avenue Cafe is working smarter, faster, and more easily with CAKE Point of Sale. We make it simple for you to update your menus and manage your restaurant from anywhere, so you get more done while going about your busy day. It sounds like your OrderPad is having some technical issues, It sounds like your OrderPad is having some technical issues, if you¿d like to reach out to support@trycake.com we'd be happy to help you work through the issue so your hardware is performing as intended. Thank you for choosing CAKE!

JK

Jaime K.

So Easy to Use!

Pros

CAKE was our first POS for this location. As far as changing menu items or modifiers or printers it's super easy, hands down way easier than any other program I've used. It's also very easy from a user standpoint for staff members to ring things in and find items. Because it's not overly complicated and just very straightforward it was super easy to get the restaurant up and running when we started...

Cons

I honestly do not have anything negative to say. However, adding a stylus to the signature pad would be helpful for guests less savvy with tablets.

Thank you Jaime for using CAKE for the 8th Street Filling Station. CAKE Point of Sale was built to be intuitive and user-friendly for you restaurant. Our reporting makes it easier for you to make data-backed decisions on how best to run your restaurant. Thank you for recommending CAKE Point of Sale!

SK

Steven K.

Mad Mobile Restaurant POS

The system is awesome with very few issues and the support received is very good and quick. I have had the system for over 2 years and are extremely happy with it.

Pros

As the owner I like the analytics and reporting. Easy to find and easy to understand. Everything I need to help make educated business decisions. As for the employees using Cake everyday, very user friendly and they love it!

Cons

Occasionally there are random little silly things that come up but there is literally nothing that we don't like about the system.

KK

Kyle K.

Love CAKE!

Pros

My restaurant has been open for 4 years. We started with CAKE POS, and have no plans of switching anytime soon! Never had any issues with the hardware, still using the same touchscreen units. Software has been great, never crashes or loses data or info etc. Very user friendly, straightforward. I have personally programmed our menus and modifiers. We use order pads, just the same as base POS, no learning...

Cons

Honestly I can't really think of anything glaring. At times we were like "why can't we split a single food item between two guest." But customer service always offered a solution, even temporary, while developers were working on updates for small complaints like that from customers.

RW

Ryan W.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

Overall, it's a piece of CAKE!

We have found that we can easily pull reports (daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly) anytime. Which helps with deciding what menu items to keep or replace. Despite a few hiccups here and there, we were able to overcome them after reaching out to customer service. Our experience has been positive.

Pros

Ease of adding/deleting menu items. Additionally, that its overall easy to navigate. One of my absolute favorite things though is that if you make any changes and upload them (publish them) it happens quick and easy. There's no having to restart the systems and terminals and then wait for them to reload.

Cons

I really dislike that you cannot re-open a server "check out" once they've clocked out. Many times we have had staff missing receipts and then locate it after they've clocked out. Makes them feel like they worked for free. I've used ALOHA in the past and that was a great, frustration saving, feature.

TC

Tammy C.

CAKE IS GREAT

When we can pull a report to tell us the last time a "Tuna Sandwich" sold, that explains why the container as aged out....reports like this help us make menu decisions based on numbers and not just we thinks.

Pros

The overall CAKE experience has been great from day 1 of asking questions to now 2+ years in business and using it daily. "Patience and care" that we knew what we were getting and the knowledge to work it was the deciding factor for our choosing CAKE.

Cons

I miss some of the features from the reports prior to the most recent updates but I like a lot, like the date range being as long or short a time frame as I want, of the new reports. I like the original "Employee Clock-Out Report". I still use it because the new "Payroll" report prints to lightly and is too busy with un-needed columns for my payroll purposes.