When I Work Reviews

Miguel Gonzalez

Scheduling Resources Has Never Been Easier

Reviewed 2018-06-24
Review Source: Software Advice

When I Work is truly a great tool for scheduling. Use it for forecasting as well to determine where you can make the best use of your resources across one or more projects. This tool also helps you understand what your organization is capable of handling. It will definitely save you from scheduling headaches and the potential issues around delivering work when you are better able to have full visibility across all your teams and the projects they are working on. A great stand alone tool, as well as a great integrated tool.When I Work is a simple and truly effective time scheduler for resourcing projects in your organization. You can track across one or more projects, as needed, and identify time availability for the work that needs to get done. This is often one of the most challenging aspects of keeping projects on track and very few project management tools can help you like When I Work can. Unlike the "capacity" view of other applications, When I Work gets down to the most granular details. It allows you to identify when and where a team member will be used, including time-off, breaks, lunches, meetings, etc. You can use these categories to identify how best to allocate their time. The scheduler allows you to see teams based on shift or positions (roles). You can track un-paid breaks and time off, as well as customize schedules and create templates for reuse. You can even create specific shifts for one time or recurring use and maintain notes on each entry. It also provides high level visibility of total individual team member capacity as well as what is scheduled and what has already been used. View your teams across one or more projects or job sites and distribute resources across them all as needed. It offers program-like management of projects and does not restrict you to individual projects, which can become cumbersome when re-allocating time of one team member across two or more projects. When I Work is a great tool for planning, or simply use it in addition to your project management application. Its scheduling features make it a powerful tool that lets you forecast as well, by easily making changes in schedules as needed. You will spend less time manually calculating your resources and where to place them, saving you time and money. Changes to any schedules are easy to see and the responses are easy to manage. When I Work also offers features like task management, which allows you to manage projects of less complexity in the same application. And if you are looking for integration, yes, you can use their library of APIs for that. But, you need to click on the developer link at the footer for more details. Their integration features are not prominently displayed on their website.

Anonymous

Great scheduling app with tons of features!

Reviewed 2018-03-08

Scheduling is EXTREMELY easy! Long gone are the days of paper postings and random email messages. It is VERY nice being able to reference your entire schedule from the moment it is posted, going all the way back to your initial employment. Even those with little to no computer experience can use it fairly easily.It is EXTREMELY easy for the end-user to utilize this software. There are also some pretty good mobile applications that it offers which makes tracking your schedule very easy!

Pam Scheske

When I Work made scheduling and communicating to all employees a breeze!

Reviewed 2018-02-01

The ease of the program. It was very user-friendly. Scheduling used to take 2 hours, but it was cut down to 30 minutes with WhenIWork. I love that I could customize the shifts. I especially loved that employees had to acknowledge their shifts. There was no more miscommunication that an employee didn't see their schedule. It's also been a great tool to get staff on the same page. The ability to message everyone at once was awesome. Plus the program tells you which employees have viewed the messages. It also has the option for employees to clock in via the app and you can link it with payroll. Employees are able to submit requests for time-off or vacations. Everything you need is in one place. The customer support team is available immediately through their live chat. They have always been very helpful and friendly. Absolutely a wonderful program!

Deborah Kelloway

The software has made the impossible, possible for scheduling employees

Reviewed 2017-12-22

I think scheduling would not be managed as well without this software. I love that employees can indicate when they are available and when they are not available. I love that they can put in requests for time off which helps me not rely on myself for remembering. I love that there are additional features for rate of wage. I like the attendance and I can see if employees are showing up late or getting into overtime. There is a budget feature which I have not used but think would be very helpful in the future.

Nicola Mercer

Does what it is supposed to

Reviewed 2016-09-09

I loved this product until a setting (that I didn't touch) mysteriously changed itself, causing my subscription to increase significantly. I didn't notice it for 14 months. When I addressed this with When I Work, I was told that their policy is to not provide credits or refunds - in this case even when it seems it was them that had overcharged. I have gone from a very satisfied long-term customer, to one who feels like When I Work is not there for its clients at all. And I am suspicious that others would have their background settings changed as well (I didn't even know what or where it was).It's visual and simple. It schedules down to 15 minute increments. It makes a very dynamic schedule like ours, easy to manage and understand.

Lindsay Hull

We started using When I Work to do scheduling and time clock for our 130 desk-less employees

Reviewed 2017-11-14

It saves us a lot of time. We have 130 college students that work for us and they are always swapping shifts or need a shift off for an exam or something like that. They can do all of that through When I Work and I don't have to be the middle man in any of that anymore. It also helps hold them accountable. It makes them acknowledge their shifts and tells them that they are still responsible for the shift until someone accepts it (and notifies if/when it is accepted). It is nice that they get that reminder every time they need to drop a shift and I don't have to find them and remind them all of the time. We love the fact that our employees can access it on their phones. Our employees are college students, so being able to use it on a mobile device is crucial. Our old program didn't have that functionality. I also like that I can go in and move someone's shift to "open" for any other employee to accept. Since our employees are college students and anything required for a course is excused from work, so it is really nice to be able to go in and move a shift for an employee that has an exam or something like that. I also like that employees have to acknowledge their shifts.

Lisa Dale

Makes scheduling super easy!

Reviewed 2018-02-05

This product is super straight forward and very user-friendly. It is very easy to use the scheduler as well as keep up with employee hours on the Time Tracker. You can easily edit attendance if your employee forgets to clock out and sending messages to the whole group is super easy with the group message feature. The online based platform is great and the app is the perfect way to post the schedule without having to send out emails of spreadsheets etc. Notifications come straight to your phone regarding scheduling changes, shift swap requests, time off requests, and even when your employees forgot to clock in. Notification alerts are easy to change in settings. There's even a setting to get a reminder 2 hours prior to your shift so in case your schedule is constantly changing, its so easy to keep up with it!

Allison Mucherino

Scheduling Made Easy and Quick

Reviewed 2018-10-25

The site is very easy to understand especially for a software that is so robust. I can't tell you the value there, but it is so much appreciated. We have saved a lot of time and miscommunications while using When I work. The attendance notifications help me to keep track of where our team is hour-wise on an individual basis and as a whole. It's nice that I am alerted, one less thing I need to remember to check on. In conjunction with the Forcast reporting, I have a very clear view of the week ahead. The apps are handy, especially from the administration side. I am able to update time clocked hours on the fly, check everyone's schedule and separate out my own, I can even handle time off requests. I haven't ever attempted to schedule through the app, although knowing how intuitive everything is through their online site, I would venture to guess it would be a piece of cake. I know our team members enjoy having their schedules and hours readily available in their pocket as well.

Timothy Stewart

Great tool for managers and employees!

Reviewed 2018-01-25

The ease of navigating the app. Being able to put the scheduling software directly on the phone of the employees is outstanding. We also really enjoy utilizing the messenger tool. Its a great way to speak to everyone in an efficient manner.

Rachel Beckerman

Love When I Work. Easy to use, and the customer service is outstanding!

Reviewed 2018-01-29

Being able to go paperless was the biggest benefit. Also, the ease of the software makes it easy for Supervisors to make schedules and track hours. Love the ease of the software, super user-friendly. Also, like that it is easy for all generations to use. Love that all requests can be made online, helping to eliminate paper.

Jeremy Morris

When I Work does a great job @ scheduling basic & repetitive schedules & an ok job when it's complex

Reviewed 2018-04-19

Scheduling of our complexity is more or less possible with this software. It would be a huge headache otherwise. It simplifies communication with staff and freelancers, pushing updates to them en masse. It is an attractive UI and the app functions pretty well. Support is responsive and communicative.

Sarah Bethel

When I Work was a game changer for our scheduling needs

Reviewed 2018-04-19

This is a very user friendly software. We are able to quickly create, edit, and distribute schedules to our large staff. We love that the staff can quickly submit time off requests, send us messages about their schedules, and even drop/swap shifts if necessary, within moments of the schedule being published.

Ken Tashoff

When I Works works for me!

Reviewed 2018-08-03

I do not have many employees on my schedule - only 10, but Incan whip up a schedule from scratch in 5-10 minutes.It makes scheduling a simple task AND adds features like schedule templates open shift offering that are icing on the cake! Customer support is responsive and very helpful.

Bob Burns

Could not preform my job with out When I Work

Reviewed 2017-10-13

I work on small and large project. When I work helps to project how long man power will be tied up on large project, which helps forecasting, cost of labor, project schedule, when we can schedule the next project. On small projects is makes a clear line of communication between the project manager and the field personal, so that everyone is on the same page when it comes to scheduling.Create's a standard line of communication between management and field personnel. Also helps the field personal to be prepared for their next task.

Corey Allen

Simple and Dynamic Scheduling

Reviewed 2018-10-08

Overall a great and functional software, yet could certainly be cheaper to be more competitive. Easily the most attractive thing about this software is the approachability and ease at which one can create a dynamic employee schedule as well as an open line of communication between employees. Everything about When I Work is very intuitive and malleable, and thus is a good solution for those operating a business.

Helen Windeler

I love this product, have looked at others that are similar but I still think this is best in class.

Reviewed 2018-05-04

it is not THE answer to scheduling numerous part time staff around their shifts, but it is definitely than paper or excel spreadsheets. staff can access everything remotely and easily. Drop shift and pick up shift function is great. I have just started tracking hours and I really like that feature. ease, functionality, rollover capability , copy and paste function, excellent customer support. Staff really like the app function of the software. I prefer to do things on desktop, I enjoy that. I can easily add/remove/assign staff as is necessary. I can block days easily. requests arrive immediately.

Tiffany Paino

Where functionality meets community

Reviewed 2017-11-30

Increased communication with employees, beneficial blog posts to pass along to our management team, and a system where we have experienced no down timeWhen I Work seems to be the culmination of every scheduling manager's "But I wish I could......" statements. It is intuitive, flexible, and easy both during set up and for the end users. It also helps that the customer support and company culture are inviting and informative.

Brice Alexander

Managing time tracking and schedules for roughly 50 people

Reviewed 2018-05-09

Easy Staff SchedulingIt is really easy to use and employees really like being able to see their schedule and coworker's schedules/time off and that they can be notified when something changes. Setup was really easy too, and so is the maintenance of positions and shifts - so much better than paper calendars and pencil.

I Love This App

Reviewed 2018-09-10

This app has been great to us. It saved me hours of work i was previously doing in Excel. Also it expedites coverage by alerting the staff of open shifts. This app takes all the hassle of building schedules and covering shifts completely our of the operation. It's versatile working across iphones and droids, has a web interface, and can even send direct text messages to your employees. I'm a big fan of the approval process for managers regarding time off and shift swap. I also like the employee export features that show time off used and (a different kind of export) a quick contact sheet when needed.

Makes Scheduling Simple

Reviewed 2018-09-19

Overall When I Work has been a great tool for me and I would definitely recommend it to anyone in charge of creating a schedule each week. It will make your job so much easier!When I Work makes schedule making so simple. I love the fact that I can just copy over the previous week to the following week rather than starting from scratch each week. It has made scheduling a painless task now. The ability to drag and drop each shift to the appropriate employee is also another great thing about this app.

Terry Brockman

Easy to use with multiple functions

Reviewed 2018-09-23

Very easy to use with lots of handy features.I can view my schedule as well as the full staff schedule. It's easy to request time off, even months in advance. When signing in and out you can add a note and I can access it anywhere! Also easy to go back and tally your hours.

Anonymous

When I Work is flexible and easy to use!

Reviewed 2017-12-01

Flexibility in scheduling and the ability to access different schedules for multiple locations all in one screen.Both teenage employees and retirees are able to use the program with limited difficulties. It also allows flexibility in programs and cost which is ideal for a season company like ours. We have over 100 employees in-season, and less than 10 in the off-season and we make adjustments all year long.

Noah Langnas

Support staff is phenomenal! Very professional program.

Reviewed 2017-10-27

When we first opened our business 2 years ago we were doing the schedule on a spreadsheet. It took hours. Now I can schedule 40 people in 5 locations in about an hour! Additionally it allows us to be more professional and accurate. I also love the new app update that when I open my app it brings me right to todays schedule as opposed to before when it brought me automatically to the start of my week.The new update that allows me to open up my app and see todays shifts right away. Makes looking at my daily schedule so easy. I also like the ability to create holiday schedules and save them as templates.

Scarlett Blackwell

Amazing and easy to use. Also the customer service you receive is 5 star service.

Reviewed 2018-04-23

I love how easy this software is to use for all of my employees and myself. It has taken scheduling to the next level and I can't imagine using anything else now!

Melina Abreu

Great.

Reviewed 2018-10-04

It makes scheduling so much easier with the "copy previous week" feature. Also, the fact that employees are able to edit their own availability helps the scheduling process go smoother.