Brilliant Directories Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.28/10

Reviews by rating

They are professional and have excellent technology that fits my needs. Their platform allows for users to monetize it and Brilliant Directories is not counting my potential revenue.
The customer support people are great. Also, their Facebook page has a very active community that shares ideas and is there to help you 24/7.
No page templates to choose from. Html coded) - No Trial/Free membership - Sitemap not working with search engines.
A little concerned about the 10gigs of space and bandwidth, that seems very low for a directory.
We really don't have any major or minor complaints about the software. I was expecting that something so complex, with tons of features, would be a nightmare to set up and run.

Steve C.

These guys are truly passionate about letting normal people own productive and customisable websites

I managed to create a website which allows me to work from home and make some extra money to help with the bills. I created a top-notch website with no knowledge of programming or coding, thanks to the great work done behind the scenes by everyone involved with Brilliant Directories. They are truly passionate about their work, and it shows.

Pros

My previous website built by another company started falling to pieces due to the fact that the programmers wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for every comma or full stop I needed to add. I could not do any alterations myself, even though they had promised that I would own the code. In the end, I lost all my google rankings and it became ineffective. I was about to lose all my members and 3 years...

Cons

Even though Brilliant Directories offer website templates for most types of businesses, varying from Yellow pages type, to Real Estate to Events to Jobs, if you have a website concept that doesn't fit exactly into a template, then you need to do some customisation. For this you need to pay extra. The learning curve increases the more different your concept varies from the templates. There are so...

VS

Volkan S.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Right Choice!

Pros

I tried almost every membership and directory software in the industry. Overall, Brilliant Directories is the best solution for me. I used the free trial option for a week and loved it. It is so easy to use and it's an awesome product even without the VIP Add-Ons.

Cons

I'll let you know once I open it to the world. I haven't tested it with the real members yet.

NG

Nasser G.

So far, not bad

On the positive side, Brilliant Directories is very easy, in fact effortless, to initially get up and running. That's good. On the negative side, I'm finding it difficult to understand how to customize the system according to my needs. I am a web developer with years of experience with php, javacscript, SQL Server, etc. I just a simple set of documentation which tells me how I can access the source...

Cons

Hi Nasser! Jason Haloossim here, founder at Brilliant Directories. As a developer you have tons of access to your source code to make higher level edits, queries and more. Join me in our next Webinar Wednesday where you can get free live support on your website and ask questions about where to access things in the your admin area. REGISTER FREE (all are welcome): https://www.brilliantdirectories.com/workshop We do these about every 2 weeks and it's a great way to learn more about how BD works. I hope to see you in the next webinar and will look out for any questions from you. All the best, Jason Haloossim Brilliant Directories

TJ

Tim J.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Great

I'm now ready to take my business to the next level and we can level up without breaking the bank!

Pros

BD is easy to set up and use, and has the best value on the net!

Cons

It's not you, it's me! I just wish I had more time to utilize all the features properly. In time!

Faruk B.

Out of the box directory business model

The fact that I can test my business model is very good. I was able to quickly get a directory site up and working while I was planning other aspects of my business like the marketing etc...

Pros

With Brilliant Directories, it's very easy to get a directory business up running very quickly. It has so many templates to choose from to suit your business needs. There are so many ways you can customize your site. From the colors to fonts etc... Also, I believe that its very SEO friendly for not just me the admin but other businesses who list their business on the site. Looks very professional.

Cons

Few things I don't like. 1. Brilliant Directories hosts your websites for you. I would've liked to host my sites on my own servers. 2. Some of the VIP add-ons could've been given on the frontend for free. Just simple things like social logins should've been free. 4. Businesses can't seem to create their own categories. We the admin of the site have to create these. Would so much better if the businesses created the categories & sub-categories and these get added to the search functionality. 3. Nothing to help retain your users. Something like a built-in customer loyalty program would be really helpful to keep users coming back.

Kory B.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 employees

When I need to make Directories for myself or clients, I choose Brilliant Directories!

Exceptionally well executed and the enjoyment in building sites is increasing as we unlock and learn what it can do.

Pros

I love the backend where it is easy to navigate and you can really customize so much. The support is bar none and the roadmap is quite exciting, but most importantly, i can handle a lot of the setup and config on my own without a lot of tech/dev support.

Cons

There is some learning curve and that is being off-set by the BD team's advancements in the UI UX and Page editor, for example.

Jack C.

E-Learning, self-employed

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Make your life easy with a Brilliant Directory

Pros

We had been looking for a way to build a couple directories to complement our current business. A business partner had recommended this platform a while back. They had also provided us with the opportunity to demo their test platform. The UX is easy to navigate and they have very detailed help files and tons of tutorial videos for most elements. The fact that we now have 4 active directory with the optional VIP add-on activated is the ultimate proof that we believe this platform is worth the investment or both time and money.

Cons

We haven't tried all the add-on yet and might be missing something but from what we've seen so far it looks like the filtering of categories and sub categories and so on could be improved. We also find that the customer facing pages could look better. For example on a 4K monitor only about 1/3 of the screen is used on most pages.

Yakin S.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Best software to build a business directory

Pros

All the tools needed to launch a directory in same day

Cons

More payment gateway options which works in recurring payments is missing. More design of layouts of home, search results and members profile pages required to match today's need..

Tess W.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

The Perfect Directory Builder Software for the Non-Techie Newbie!

I've never built a directory or listing site before but when I finished, I was so impressed with my work that I couldn't even believe I built what I was looking at! If I had blog content already completed, I literally could have launched the first night I first started working with the software.

Pros

I love this software because it is easy to use and has the perfect format for building an online directory. It is also easy to customize and personalize. I didn't have to know anything about what a directory should have as they've included everything. All that's missing is your original content.

Cons

I prefer front-end builders. I normally use Divi, Elementor, Blocksy, etc and I can move so much quicker. It took me a while to finish which was due to the constant flipping to the front to evaluate my work.

Arnaud M.

Internet, 1-10 employees

Start a profitable business with an incredible income/investment ratio

I saved a lot of time and money. Indeed, Brilliant Directories offers us a very successful nocode solution that allows you to set up a lot of business based on the user community.

Pros

The product benefits from several years of development in which everything has already been thought out for this type of business. I have not yet had a single idea that could not be implemented with Brilliant directories. But I will find one! :)

Cons

Mainly the design of the brilliant directories site which is starting to need a refresh. But this does not affect the rendering of the client sites. So it's only a "luxury" discomfort when setting up our business.

VB

Victoria B.

1-10 employees

Good software, but must know HTML, CSS and Javascript to get the full benefit

There was definitely a learning curve with this software. I was not aware that so much HTML knowledge was necessary. Even the support is answered in a way that tells you to go in and change some HTML, which I think is misleading. I am not that knowledgeable in programming languages and I'm finding it difficult to go in and make some of the changes I need to make. The term 'widget' is also misleading....

Pros

I like the payment features, especially the fact that members can upgrade their plan on their own. I also like that the software comes with payment processing built right in. The geolocation is also a great feature.

Cons

As I stated above, too much programming knowledge is needed to get the full use of the software. I think future updates need to address this issue and help make it more user-friendly. Also, it is difficult sometimes to find where you need to go to make certain updates - the section titles are not clear.

Hi Victoria, thanks so much for your feedback! The Brilliant Directories platform was designed so that anyone, despite their experience level with HTML or CSS, can successfully launch and manage a directory website. While more complex edits and customizations do require the editing of some HTML or CSS, the majority of the website settings are either point-and-click or drag-and-drop. We truly do value your input and will be sure to keep your suggestions in mind for our future updates. Many of our upcoming updates do reflect your suggestions to incorporate even more point-and-click options that don't require any HTML or CSS knowledge. We love hearing what our users have to say so that we can continue making the platform even more easy to use. Thanks for the review!

CR

Ceslovas R.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Finally I have made a decision!

I have been looking for a platform for creating business software and its vendors directory. I analyzed many Word Press Directory Themes available on the market and decided not to compile my system from numerous plugins but to use integrated platform devoted for this purpose. After comparing Market Grabber, eDirectory and Brilliant Directories platforms I have chosen the last one. Pros: 1. Convenient...

Pros

1. Convenient directory structure. I will use Listing feature for Vendors and Product feature for software systems. 2. Continually developing leads generating module. 3. Perfectly developed users training and support system (videos, documentation, community forums').

Cons

1. There is not possible to set up hierarchical structure for products feature. 2. Products rating and review functionality is missing. 3. Not very flexible pricing setting system for different membership levels. It would be nice to set additional payments for every category and service area.

Hi Ceslovas. Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you've found our training and support resources helpful. We are constantly adding new material to our Support Center to make sure our users have as many resources at their disposal as possible. I also appreciate the cons you laid out - these help us improve the software. Regarding the pricing system for your different members, while individual membership levels are limited to the pricing options you set for them, you can create more niche/specific membership levels for certain categories or service areas. You can then set different payment options for those - just another option :) Thank you again for your feedback!!

WB

William B.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

I highly recommend Brilliant Directories!

I have been with Brilliant Directories for several years. Their platform is the absolute best for running a powerful directory. Working with reps. is really phenomenal. It is really amazing to me that I can easily set up and run a powerful membership website. What I love the most about Brilliant Directories is their outstanding support staff, hundreds of online step-by-step videos, Webinar Wednesdays,...

Pros

Having the 50+ dynamic add-ons provides me a website comparable to those of billion dollar companies.

Cons

My experience with Brilliant Directories has been PERFECT.

DF

Doris F.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Brilliant and Caring!!!!

I'm grateful that I found brilliant directories, the fact that the support team is so patient, understanding, and eager to help my business grow is amazing. I feel like I not only found a great product, but I'm a part of a business family that's down to earth, and genuinely want my business to be successful. I'll never forget what Jason did for me, for anyone to take the time to give valuable help and advice at no cost says a lot to me about that person's character. I'm just so thankful to have found a company that's not all about just making a quick buck off of you, but that really wants to see your business succeed. Thank you so much Jason, and the entire support team, you guys are AWESOME!!!!!

Pros

I like most about this product is the ease of the video tutorials, and the prompt response from the support teams, they really helped me set up my directory with minimal stress.

Cons

I don't like that I'm not able to understand the development side of the software. Things that I'd like to implement into my site I'm not able to, because I don't know how to read codes, and scripts.

Hi Doris. We can't thank you enough for your amazing feedback. We're thrilled that you've been successful with the software. Regarding the major customizations that may require some coding, we hear your complaints. This is our development teams number one priority at the moment. We truly do appreciate your honest review. It's what helps us continue to improve the software for our amazing users like yourself :)

jw

jj w.

My opinion of Brilliant Directories

I would like to share my brief opinion of Brilliant Directories Our team have looked into many directory softwares before we decided on BD. We are experts in WordPress sites and have created and still run a number of WordPress based directories We have purchased 3 FULL licenses from BD as we fully believe this is the best directory software available. BD is 99% ready to go live from...

FF

Frank F.

Brilliant Directories - The Best the Internet Has to Offer

I have just activated my second directory with BD. I activated my first one after months of searching for a platform that would meet my needs and the second one after maintaining my impression that a more robust, feature rich and easy to use product for creating your own on-line directory does not exist. - anywhere at any price. Period! Everything required to run a successful and profitable directory...

DM

Dan M.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

My BD Site experience

Exceptional with BD people not so great with the partners or ex BD employees - seem the system is held up for ransom from these folks

Pros

Affordable, ease of use, adaptable for several projects I have developed

Cons

That the BD team is reluctant to provide more support and make us poor souls rely on the partners who have found a way to monitize a wonderful product. The support and new features should stay within BD and it could grow even bigger. I would rather pay BD the support fees than people who run away because they are not fully committed to the product - just there to capitilize on something great

RJ

R J.

Brilliant Directories is brilliant!

I've been helping a budding entrepreneur consider launching an online business. She wanted to launch an online local directory of her hometown with the purpose to improve both online to offline opportunities for local businesses and the community. The only problem was she has no technical background. I recommended Brilliant Directories to her because offers a simple turn-key website solution with...

EM

Elvis M.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Simple to use software that our clients like to use

Pros

Setting up the Consultants directory and deploy to the production was super easy. We had some special requirements, and our developers were able to modify templates with minimum guidance from Brilliant Directory support. Consultants we invited to the directory liked the platform very much and were able to get familiar with it in no time.Our Partner Channel Manager likes the options and analytics insights very much. He finds them a useful and valuable source of information, important for the further development of the Consultant Directory program.

Cons

At some points, we got stuck due to platform limitations and were forced to rely on Brilliant Directory partners, although we have an in-house development team.Some basic features like Sitemap should be included right away in the platform rather than as a payable plugin.

ah

andrew h.

The platform is good, but if you need help support is pretty rubbish.

Pros

Easy to use, if you are a complete beginner with no experience you will have problems. Can be quite easy to customize if you know what you are doing.

Cons

Support is bad. I have only ever had the same 2 people reply to my support tickets. If you are based outside the USA like me, then you will have to wait for a reply, sometimes 2+ days for a simple question. The forum is a waste of time, no one ever on there. You might be lucky and get a reply back within 2 weeks. The hosting is another issue, they host the site on their servers so if you have any problems with the site being down, again you are at the mercy of their support.... if you can call it that. This is a main concern for me, running a business with their software you need BD to offer 24/7 support. They keep saying they are going to make changes, still waiting for that.... I don't think I would buy from them again, unless they buck their ideas up.

SL

Sandra L.

Construction, 1-10 employees

The most comprehensive hosted membership software on the market.

Overall, it is an amazing system. BD is constantly improving and developing, and I am thrilled to be a part of it.

Pros

BD has been around for so long that you automatically receive so much value from all the features they have already built into their system. They have created a sustainable business over many years, making me much more comfortable investing my time and money in developing my membership business on their platform.

Cons

It can be time-consuming to get your ideas and concerns elevated to a level where they can be addressed. For example, while many customer service agents are the best in the business (truly, the best), others are clearly not reading or comprehending your messages. After tons of back and forth, you will be asked to start over again and take your idea, suggestion, or problem to a separate forum. There must be a way for a support ticket to automatically be turned into a feature request without all of the redundancy that currently exists. I believe that some of their most valuable feedback is lost, buried in support tickets that are never resolved.

JK

Jotham K.

Robust Credibility Driven - Directory Business Software

When I conducted a "Service Needs Assessment" for my Niche Market Project, it became obvious that the Niche has a severe shortage of: 1. modern Cutting Edge Technological tools to drive (CRM) Customer Relationship Management strategies, 2. it also lack (CMS) this is Content Management Systems to inform customers and support customers 3. above all it lacked a well organized networking environment...

KW

Kurt W.

1-10 employees

Off on the Wrong foot

So far I have not been able to get a proper receipt for one of the packages I purchased. I wrote back to Billing yesterday and I have yet to recei8ve a reply . I spoke with Kelvin yesterday as well, and he attempted to make it happened but it was not executed properly and I am reluctant to disturb him again as he claimed to be extremely busy with world wide clients.

Pros

Very comprehensive. Has all of the features I need to make great websites.

Cons

So far, nothing stands out as a dislike, but it would be nice if their was a better library of high resolution photos. So far I have not been able to locate any of the photos as seen on the Brilliant Demo.

Hi Kurt, I apologize that you did not get your receipt right away after your purchase. We have double checked with the team and a copy of it has been sent to you for your records. I'm glad Brilliant Directories has all of the features that you were looking for! A great place to get high quality stock photos is Adobe Stock (stock.adobe.com). You can use images licensed from Adobe stock on your website, and you won't be infringing on any copyright laws. Thank you for the suggestion regarding a font preview feature! We'll work on this and see if it's something that we can implement. Thanks for all of your great feedback. We use feedback from users like yourself to constantly improve the Brilliant Directories software.

JN

Jennifer N.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

My Experience

Excellent. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is also super responsive - I email him and he gets back to me instantly. That's great customer service and means a lot.

Pros

Add-ons like the coupon are great. Lots of features, too.

Cons

The admin/dashboard could be streamlined. I find I have to go to different areas for menu items, for example, rather than having things in the same spot. It would be great to get an "emergency" ticket in case something goes terribly wrong, like your site is down etc. Everyone should be able to export their members - I don't think that should be an add-on.

AB

Angele B.

Best In The Industry

When the Government of Canada, Department of Canadian Heritage, and the Office of French Language Services of the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care financed our interpretation application for the ministry of health, we needed to find a platform that allowed us to easily and quickly build, customize, and manage our website and mobile app landing page. We first tried using WordPress but...