All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Microsoft Project

Project management & collaboration software

Microsoft Project Reviews

Pros

I am about to use this software for creating reports and thankful that their customer support is very eager to help me so I can do my project and be familiar on the features of the software.

Candice I.

Read the full review
Extremely robust and powerful tool once fully understood. Fairly simple construction of charts and data visualization, and the ability to expand capabilities within the software.

Joshua M.

Read the full review

Cons

My only negative regarding this software is that it's costly.

Read the full review
The disadvantage that I see with this software is that it requires an additional license to the Office suite. This should be in the general package.

JAVIER D.

Read the full review
For beginners and someone who has no knowledge about computer, it is a bit confusing and ends up stuck on something but as they always say everything can be learned.

Jason D.

1,168 reviews

Complex and capable

Be able to have a clear vision, vision and control to make decision

Have the possibility to manage the resources, projects carptera from the initiative or idea cycle to the process and project closure. and the collaboration in external offices with the executors or other leaders is very useful to measure impacts and make decisions.

Pros

Since we implemented it, which is quite easy, it is enough to have a 2010 project server and a professional project for the stations all in collaboration with a sharepoint farm. The implementation process took a couple of months to adjust the configurations and to be able to obtain the greatest possible potential of the solution. in general we could use the graphs and diagrams in order to measure...

Cons

It is a very expensive solution, for which not all companies are willing to invest, not only in the platform but in the hours of R & D that the team must use to manage it, maintain it and work on the solution. Another point is that it is not multiplatform and this in the cases that are needed is important to evaluate it or keep it in mind. It has many features and it is a bit difficult to be an expert because of the number of functionalities that you have and you end up resorting to conventional methods because it is cumbersome to know where to find them.

No brainer for Project Management

Handles most of my large projects and allows easy reporting to people. Used for years now and don't plan on changing. Done a few online courses to learn to use it properly and well worth it.

Pros

The leading software in Project Management. Used for a few years now and it allows me to input everything i need to run projects, execute them and then monitor. incorporates all the principles of PM WBS, critical path, leads and lags. Cost management is also a worth while feature allowing you to monitor costs in detail or quick look to see current status.

Cons

Not the best for collaborative working if other staff are not trained properly. I think this is more of a company specific problem where staff are included in projects and data in put but not necessarily trained in PM

Very good tool for Project Management

Part of my work is based on the planning of tasks within an adoption plan according to each client. The use of Microsoft Project is essential to be able to carry out each of the plans according to plan, controlling that there are no deviations and being able to put together executive progress reports.

Pros

Microsoft Project is an excellent tool to divide any type of project into consecutive tasks or not, associated with the person in charge, company or necessary resource. This also allows to have an overview of resource use and task overlap for the same resource and avoid complications early.

Cons

Easy to access project tool.

I use Microsoft's Project to track the individual items that I need to manage for a major project. The best parts of MS Project are that it evolved into the easiest to use Gant chart generator out there. My personal business calls for me to track several programs at one time and as an Instructional Designer/Architect, I tend to "chunk" projects into smaller, easier to accomplish bites. The Project...

Pros

1. Ease of use 2. Fast data entry 3. Visible Gant chart

Cons

1. Columns are locked to function only one way 2. Date fields don't default to today's date 3. No means to separate one project from another

Saves time in planning and collaborating project

This software has help me and my colleague to create shortcuts to planning, creating and deploying project. The task can be marked with time frame and the system will send notification if the task is still not completed before the due date.

Pros

I really like template that are provided by Microsoft Project, it is highly customized to my project objective and my liking. The feature that i use the most can be pinned on the dashboard interface and keep it organized. Most of the user are using it, and there are no issue to shares the project file to my other colleague and they can open it without any compatibility problem.

Cons

Microsoft Project is quite pricey as we can't subscribe only the Microsoft Project itself, we have to buy all the software on the Microsoft suite to use it. If only they can let user to separately subscribing it, more user can will use it. Other thing that i dislike is, no video tutorial provided to teach user how to use the feature in the software.

Easy and Comfortable Planning Software

Project Planning , Cost Calculation, Cost Control , Optimizing resources to optimize project output ,

Pros

Task Adding Feature of ms Project is very Easy and We can Easily Edit order Without Any Problem, simple planning and scheduling

Cons

Cost Of resources Added Feature is Less also there must be option for creating Some regulate chart like planned progress vs Actual progress , Sn Curve Etc

effective project management of the company

I use the program for a shorter time and in the meantime I get used to all the options it offers, but it is definitely a great benefit for the company in my opinion.

Pros

The program allows easy application to Microsoft office (PowerPoint). The connection between employees and the sharing of details via the web is very well solved.

Cons

We had to spend quite a bit of time implementing the program. Occasionally, there are errors when loading the latest templates, but they are fixed through Microsoft support.

The quickest way to organize your project

There is a tendency in construction for a structural or architectural design change which can in turn affect how project resources should be allocated. This software has enabled me to organize project work on short notice whenever such situations crop up.

Pros

This software is a valuable tool for determining allocation of resources for a construction project. It has all the key features including critical path, lags and leads and also generates a fantastic gantt chart for visual representation of project activities. Entry of data is also easy due to its similarity to Excel format.

Cons

The software is a bit difficult to use even with a good grasp of project management principles. There is a considerable learning curve before it can be used regularly.

Track It All!

Efficiently handles your project tasks and generates graphs and charts. A highly recommended tool for the professionals .

Pros

My experience with Microsoft Project has been an amazing one. It is a great tool for the Project Management. Helps you to keep a track of all your project activities and schedule all your tasks. The tool is easy to use for beginners and helps to understand its working with less time and great efficiency. Having an overview of the cost management , resource usage, visibility of Gantt Chart, setting your milestones and fast entry of data are the most important and useful outcomes of the software.

Cons

I think they should provide the general package of the software. Also the cost of license is a bit high for the students to use it. Except for this it is one of the best softwares for Project Management purpose.

MS Project

My overall experience with Microsoft Project has been positive. It is a powerful tool for project planning and tracking.

Pros

Microsoft Project is a powerful project management tool which allows comprehensive project productivity tracking.

Cons

Microsoft Project is expensive and has been cost prohibitive for me to use in my small business in the past.

Microsoft PowerPoint - By Abraham Chongkit

So far my overall experience with MS Project is a little more unique then expected and I would probably prefer more clarification on its compatibility and uses from Microsoft and their retail agents around the world before purchasing. The installation was pretty straight forward and I have not had any issue in regards to the application functionalities, and features. However, it did take me long to learn how to use MS Project and I would probably suggest that the help and instructional features could be adjusted to accommodate other users similar to my situation.

Pros

The great thing I like most about MS Project is that it's interface is quiet similar to that of other MS Office products, such as MS Excel. This familiarity gives me the confidence that the product I am about to use, is very similar to other MS Office products that I use on a daily basis. MS Project integrates well with Office 365 which allows me the space that I need to work remotely from anywhere...

Cons

The least thing I liked about MS Project is that it took me a while to get used to the menus, and features such as the interface when i first started. It took a lot of practice and further research on how to use the product faster and efficiently because my first impression is that MS Project was not really user-friendly at the beginning. I think MS Project is a bit expensive and you need to plan and...

The Project Management Tool for the Microsoft Power User

Overall, Microsoft Project does a really good job of allowing experienced project managers to create complex project plans for both large and small teams. The platform offers extensive schedule and resource management - enabling teams to accurately allocate their resources in order to achieve maximum efficiencies. My experience with Project has been positive. I work in a small to mid-sized team that creates implementation plans for customer recommendations. I have enjoyed the synergies that working with other Microsoft tools provides. Furthermore, Project has enabled me to be effective in those pursuits. It definitely takes some time to learn more complicated aspects of the program - but that time and training and can really benefit a team.

Pros

The greatest strength of Microsoft Project comes in the name. Microsoft develops some of the most popular and effective tools for modern businesses. Project integrates extremely seamlessly into the overall Microsoft ecosystem of work. This enables the platform to truly maximize on all the efficiencies created by keeping your work within one platform. Project also does a fantastic job of allocating and scheduling resources. Furthermore, identifying critical paths for a project is relatively straight forward. Project managers can do specific call outs for key steps along the way as well. There are also a lot of additional benefits for project that help the quality of life for anyone in control of a project.

Cons

Project is a complicated piece of technology. While creating initial project plans seem easy, there are so many features of project that not only go unnoticed - but also can be incredibly cumbersome to learn and master. An additional pain point that I have experienced has related to working on multiple project resources while also viewing the Gantt chart. Finally, sharing a project also holds its own difficulties as well - as users must have Project installed on their own device.

Manager for the control and development of projects of great impact in the company

Based on the experience of the use of the tool, the organizational capacity is more efficient and effective in each task, as well as the security and the status of the results offered by each member of the project. Another element to highlight is communications and how this allows improving the flow of information, thus improving the willingness of managers to take corrective action at the best times.

Pros

Of the positive things that Microsoft Project & Portfolio Management has, is that you can use a driver prioritization module to develop workshops in which executives openly discuss the issue importance of each business controller and thus be able to prioritize the strategies according to the established objectives. that's why it's an advantage to be able to prioritize commercial drivers at any level within...

Cons

One of the difficulties is the development of the chronogram of the different projects and the information that is offered to the teams involved in the different projects, as well as the possibility of associating one or more plans for the execution of the project and a baseline for the project. supervision, development and management and thus be able to generate changes in the various levels in a corrective manner. In addition, the implementation of the schedule change and operational capacity is difficult and prevents providing the project teams with an updated map for the execution of their tasks and therefore the delivery of a new baseline to verify progress and manage the change programmed by the bosses.

Is a valuable project management resource suitable for projects of any size

Since I have been using Microsoft Project, allows me to quickly adapt proposals and ideas into organized projects. This very helpful when I need to present proposals because I can give a solid overview of the project's idea, estimate, in the early stage, and to control during the execution, all the resources and manage and predict risks. The linkages, not only are easy to use but also help me when dealing with complex tasks. During presentations, the Gannt window allows me to show timelines versus the lines of tasks and clarify any doubt and even make corrections. I am a fan of the shortcuts, and filters, they help me to zoom over critical points. I really appreciate the fact that I can import and Export tasks in excel formats, it makes my daily work and reporting very easy.

Pros

For any user used to Microsoft's Software Family, the interface and tabs of the software will be very easy to understand and to use. The drag and drop function for schedule makes it easy to modify any resource. It has the most important features that any project management software can have and It is very useful that you can track all the necessary changes, manpower loading, deviations on time, and...

Cons

The first I must say is that you need a strong background in project management theory (critical path method, evaluation techniques and so on) in order to master Microsoft Project and smoothly use all the features and capabilities of the software without having a complex learning curve. Besides, it's not an intuitive program so it is adviced taking a training course, but yes, you can learn to use it...

Essential for all users of MS Project who have multiple project files that share common resources

The benefits to the organization have been phenomenal! Prior to the implementation of PPM it was impossible to see what individual team members were doing. The team leaders were 'king' and could do what they liked and when they liked. Our aim in implementing the product was to preserve existing process but to take the planning and execution of tasks to a new level. We found it easy to use...

Pros

I like the way you can use it for managing resources. It is very easy to assign resources to multiple projects and to see resource assignments and resource capacity. I use resource assignments in PPM to report project progress and I find the reports easier to understand and more meaningful that the reports that generated in standalone MS Project. I also use this resource assignment ability...

Cons

It hasn't kept the pace with competitor projects and the various new releases don't differ substantially with previous ones. Here are a few things I don't like. I know it asks for only one, but I'd like to share some of the challenges. * You can't send messages to resources from within tasks * There is no place for discussion in a task apart from Notes, which are cumbersome and you can't then search for text in the note. * You can't sort the list of files backed up. That makes restoring files a bit of a challenge as you need to be really careful before you restore a file. * After all this time, the product is still not stable and there are still intermittent bugs to which there don't seem to be any solutions. * the filter capability of the views is limited and you can't use brackets.

My experience in Microsoft PPM, a tool for the control of Projects in an efficient way

I would recommend it extensively because it is useful to the final user, to be able to know the tool before it can be acquired and to know the opinion of a true user who takes advantage of each component every day, I am very pleased to participate in this program and thus contribute my experience.

Pros

Generally within the environment where I perform this tool is very useful, because your way of organizing work is excellent, to me as a professional in the area of technology adds incredible benefits, allows me to see tasks in a single presentation, resources, project execution times, remaining time, as well as progress, at the management level it has the advantage of making the most accurate decisions regarding reallocation of resources, time and other elements that intervene in the projects that I control from my area. It is great as all the work team that is under my charge is integrated to the use of this tool and we can be synchronized under the same objectives of the institution.

Cons

Despite being a great tool for project control, there is no way to measure the productivity of the work team or individually, this would help a lot or a lot to give the incentives to achieve jointly, departmentally or individually, even more when you want to highlight the merits of the team. Likewise, the cost of this tool for a medium or small company would be difficult to acquire or would be underused since in small environments the management of the projects would not have as many elements. However, I am very pleased with the kindnesses I have found in it.

The best project management tool in the industry!

Microsoft Project is undoubtedly one of the best project management tool in the industry, whether you are working on projects in different fields such as IT, Marketing, Finance, Construction, etc. As long as I can remember, MS Project has been helping me deliver projects successfully. It's a software that is ideal for collaborating with my team and it aids in effective planning as well as allocation...

Pros

Ease of use, visually presentable (especially when dealing with many tasks), most common software in the industry

Cons

It takes some time to learn the software so it can be intimidated to new users

This is the reference for Project Planning but you might find better options

I used this product at a large bank and they used this to keep track of every.single.thing. developers did, so it was really time consuming updating everything on a daily basis. PMs had a nightmare maintaining everybody's schedule and making little changes to the plans so they would adjust to minor variations and unexpected stuff. The bank had build an automation engine for Project so every file was crunched by it and used to calculate everything from bugdet updates to productity bonuses. It was really a grim time when some tool told you the bonus wouldn't be available to you in the current quarter.

Pros

Microsoft Project is the 200-pound gorilla that most enterprises use, mainly because their companies already have all the Office bundle and this software might come included. Make no mistake, this is a compelling and thorough piece of software, but sometimes it's a little overkill for simple, quick tasks (like sketching a project while it's being pitched) and it really focus on being a good-for-everyone...

Cons

Like most MS software lately, this can be a memory and CPU hog. It really has tons of features so finding the right tool can be time-consuming. The usability could be much better, especially for my use case which is quick prototyping of projects in order to create budgets and proposals.

enterprise project management (EPM) system

Microsoft project is a famous and old tool for planning and controlling projects. I’ve used MSP in different IT and construction projects. It has almost all the necessary features for a project team. Project scheduling, cost management, resource management, risk management and portfolio management are some of its features. Also Earned value management (EVM) provide different Indicators for project...

Pros

As a Microsoft tools it has a great integration with other MS solution as name above, but it’s hard to integrate with externals apps.

Cons

MSP is a classic project management tools that support different standard for project management, like PMBoK. But it’s not a tool for agile project management such as Scrum and Kanban.

MS Project Review

With Microsoft project Manager my company can complete weekly and monthly milestones; we are changing our web-based applications for Hospitality Business Intelligence tool and using Microsoft project Manager we can accomplish deadlines and make our product better and clients happy. More and more issues are getting resolved faster with using Microsoft project Manager because we can tackle those daily tasks at hand. Microsoft project Manager is easy to share the project within our organization and anyone can edit it.

Pros

Microsoft project Manager is one of the best suitable software for getting customizable reports for any project. I am able to create milestones, goals, and set timelines within my department at work to complete daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly tasks. If in an event I have to move a task over Microsoft project Manager can determine automatically how long the milestone will be completed based on the due dates and timelines. Microsoft project Manager comes with the Microsoft Office Subscription, but that is only if you purchase the full or pro version. Moreover, Microsoft project Manager makes projects organization very easy and quickly make positive impact is business problems and management.

Cons

Microsoft project Manager can take time to learn and get adapted to different features of the product; Secondly, the product is pricy Microsoft project Manager does come standalone, but included in the pro version of Office is actually cheaper, the standalone can cost a lot.

I think it is a very efficient software, it has been an indispensable tool to plan my projects.

It has brought me many benefits, among them it has allowed me to plan my projects in a faster way, since with this tool I can take control of the execution time and the budget with a clearer and more global vision, it has been a tool for me great utility and has more functions than those used daily.

Pros

The software has several advantages, mainly it organizes my projects in a more complete way, because before using it to my Excel plans, with the difference that Project has daily the progress of the project with graphs and diagrams for a faster analysis, Without exceeding the available budget, also plan from small to large projects with the great advantage that I can link them or work them separately. I find it interesting that the project control allows to save the line of the original project to compare it with the modifications that are made in time. On the other hand you can save the file in other formats to facilitate printing.

Cons

In my personal opinion Project is not easy to use for beginners, initially I found it a bit complicated for the basics of the program, even for other more advanced functions it should be easier, for example at first I did not understand because Project sometimes my activities with a duration in decimals even when I assigned him the full day. I think it could be used by students as a tool to plan their activities so that later in the professional field they are more familiar with the software, but for that it must be more user friendly. On the other hand, I think that its biggest disadvantage is that the activation of the license is a bit expensive.

It ensures the full management and productivity of the projects.

For me , it has already saved me tons of time and allows me to be more productive and able to manage the projects in a quicker way. We can easily mold a rough draft of our work into something much more valuable and viable with the help of this tool. It has allowed me to perform various operations of managing my tasks in a much better way.

Pros

Microsoft Project Management offers the most easy and viable solutions to sort out our daily routines tasks and implements a total calculated solutions for our projects. We can input the required info and get the detailed and visually aid solutions for our projects. We can easily view progress better, collaborate in an efficient way. We can easily set out tasks and keeps a thorough surveillance of our work. It allows us to make decisions independently.

Cons

In order to gain full advantage of this tool, one should have a fine knowledge of using this tool. So it requires a training and sound knowledge of operating the management tool. Just because of its complex operations, one can have difficulty in operating it. The overall license purchasing expense is a bit higher and it gets bit difficult for us to measure the overall productivity of the projects.

PPM is a powerful tool for program management

Pros

As a Program Manager I used MS Project and Portfolio Management full suite of product quite extensively. I managed multiple projects ranging from small to large projects. Our network spanned across multiple groups domestic and global. Our initial project only used MS Project in the early stages until the full suite of PPM was available. Projects were easier manage and it helped us stayed within budget. The tools were not as easy as I anticipated to integrate, however with the right planning I’m sure it can be integrated fine. It’s important that the program team is knowledgeable about all the capabilities so it can be used in their projects. We used the entire portfolio in all our programs.

Cons

Setting up the entire system is not as easy as I had hoped. It took several iterations in order to get the right process in place and to make sure the program team are properly trained to utilize all the features that are available with all the tools. All tools must be integrated correctly. It’s best to plan and take your time setting it up right.

Microsoft Project, Good tool for an average budget

For the cost per licence and the ease of use, Microsoft Project is my go to tool for Project Management Software.

Pros

Most business have some form of Microsoft Suite, Project doesn't come in the standard suite but so adding additional licenses for Project is more cost effective than most Project Management Software. Because it is a Microsoft product, the user interface is like most Microsoft products, so learning how to navigate around Project doesn't take a lot of time. There is so much to this tool. You can do small and/or large project on it. The capabilities that it has are endless, you really can do a lot with this tool.

Cons

It can be a complex tool, when I first began using Project I had a manager working with me on the Project and helped me get used to Microsoft Project. She had been using it for years, so she had a wealth of knowledge that she shared with me. Without her help, I do think it would have taken me a lot longer to get used to it and be able to use it to its full ability. That being said, the tool can do so much more than I ever thought it could.

General porous Project Management tool

General porous Project Management tool and not applicable in the complicated projects

Pros

Windows application is really user-friendly. I love the recurring task facility for creating repetitive tasks without the need of creating each task separately. Supporting the different relationship between tasks including FS. SS, SF, and FF

Cons

I wished it supports backward resource-leveling. It doesn't support the whole areas of the project management body of knowledge including Quality management and risk management in the best way.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.