AppFolio Property Manager Logo

Cloud-based property management software.

AppFolio Property Manager Reviews - Page 5

1,893 reviews

NS

Nicole S.

User friendly, efficient

It is easy to use, easy to navigate, and I like the app feature on my phone to use while I'm out on the property. This makes building work orders easy and can be completed with photos for staff.

Pros

Daily functions as a property manager with placing work orders, entering rent checks, lease renewals and sending tenant online forms to electronically to sign. All of these tasks save time & are efficient being available as online options. This even is convenient for prospective tenants coming from out of state.

Cons

The unit transfer functions could be more seamless. When a resident is moving apartments within the property, the charges and credits/payments often have to be carefully reviewed when completing a transfer to make sure the new unit's tenant ledger is correct.

ML

Margo L.

Commercial Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Appfolio: The Cutting Edge Experience

I have been using the Appfolio software for 18 months now and I am still learning ways to customize reports so that I only see pertinent information. I discover ways of inputting information and narrowing my searches for information, such as finding information about appliances, which SKU we purchase for the apartments so I can give this information to the vendor which saves me and their employee valuable time and frees us up to serve more customers. I <3 Appfolio!

Pros

Appfolio is a property manager's 'one-stop shop'. I am the office coordinator, partnering with the property owners and maintenance manager. If our employees can't find the information they need about a tenant, application, report or work order, then we need to train better because Appfolio provides the templates to input any information needed to screen applicants, communicate with tenants, manage work orders, locate a property by link to Google maps. Every page has a feedback/suggestion link at the bottom of the page. We receive regular notifications of updates by the Appfolio team. I don't work with accounting, but if a vendor calls about payments or account information I know how to access it and even narrow my searches.

Cons

It would be most helpful if work orders could be categorized since we have maintenance employees who specialize in plumbing and HVAC. It would also be helpful if a work order that has been marked 'Urgent' pulled to the top of the list or color-coded red so that it was instantly recognized as urgent by our maintenance personnel. There just aren't a lot of cons from the aspect I work from.

Dear Margo, thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We love partnering with you and it's great to hear that AppFolio is your one-stop shop for property management!

MM

Miriam M.

Great product overall

the overall experience with Appfolio has been a positive one. it has really showed what people are truly capable of given software that works.

Pros

This software is easy to collaborate with teh whole team on even if you are spread out across the state or simply working from home

Cons

I would LOVE to see the ability so sync with Quickbooks!!!!!!! for a midsized company it is hard to stay on top of all the transactions that happen that need to be brought down to Quickbooks

KA

Krickett A.

Best decision we've made

AppFolio has made our business more efficient which has enabled us to provide a higher level of customer service not only to our clients but our customers as well.

Pros

There are several features to the software that make it a great product for our team to use. #1. The ease of use and overall aesthetic functionality is hands down best I've seen. #2. The ability to have all of our property management activities done out of one centralized location has increased our efficiency. #3. We love the conversational component of AppFolio. Being able to communicate with...

Cons

If I were to say there is a feature I like the least about AppFolio it is that we can't yet have the vendor communication recorded anywhere but the vendor page. I'd love to have all vendor communication link back to the work order for a more complete conversation log.

DH

DARLENE H.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

You won't be sorry you looked into this one :)

AppFolio has eased our In-Office staff requirements and offers more information to our Tenants and Owners than they had previously. It provides excellent bookkeeping function and data entry flows so easily.

Pros

It is intuitive, it "finds" and owner, property, tenant, vendor, even an email with minimal keystrokes. I can start a function and "tab" it at the top to look at another bit of info and go right back to where I was. No needing to close and open and close and re-open like I had with previous software. It has a refresh tab so changes are immediately appreciated. Of course Cloud based software is critical to efficiency as your tenants will want to do what they can online themselves ! This saves data entry and phone calls. AND the support team is 2nd to none.

Cons

The Accounts Payable function is driven by whether there are enough funds available in a property to pay each bill. This is not a feature I use and would prefer to be able to select Payables in Vendor order rather than Property order. I would change the Journal Entry process to allow more than one property per JE. Same with "other receipts".

Cheryl S.

Easy Program to Learn!

Pros

I started in property management in 2015 with absolutely no experience with PM or PMOS! My boss and I went over running owner reports and monthly statements, but that was about it. Everything else I had to learn on my own. I'd say I was at 80% of mastering all the features and systems within about a week. Luckily, the "support" system has become much more efficient that my predecessor's notes said....

Cons

While I can allocate certain payments, I can't seem to allocate charges. I'd like to be able to do that. Also, transitioning tenants from one unit to the other is confusing. It's not hard to do, but I don't follow the logic. That might just my fault.

PS

Patricia S.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Awesome Property Management Software!

AppFolio has made our company more efficient. I have used this software for 9 years. It is always evolving and new features are added on a continuing basis. Customer support listens to your concerns and tries to implement them if there is a huge need. Very efficient and timely customer support! I have used a few different PM software programs and this is by far the best.

Pros

The ease and simplicity of bookkeeping aspects. Even with little accounting experience, AppFolio is easy to use. The help section is phenomenal as it has videos and written tutorials, so you can learn whichever way you are most comfortable with! The maintenance area has everything a vendor or property manager needs to assess issues and relay them to the vendors. Reporting is top notch. So many reports to choose from and tailor to a company’s individual needs. Very easy to upload and download documents in PDF, jpeg, Word. Love that entries are time, date and user stamped. The texting function is extremely helpful and e-mailing within AppFolio for a record is awesome. Search function is terrific as the system will list everything that corresponds to what you typed in.

Cons

There are some accounting entries that the system seems to override in areas, thus transactions are not entered properly. Sometimes these are not caught until an owner receives a monthly statement. Having a forecast feature for income / expenses for future years would be nice.

JS

Joseph S.

Appfolio experienced user

I watched it grow tremendously over the years. With the growth being influenced by current trends of modern technology in relevant markets and the continuous implementation of users request. Appfolio is growing the right way.

Pros

User friendly, quick customer support and the ability to pull/create custom reports. The awareness that we the customer are always being heard.

Cons

Only thing I can say as a paying customer is we would appreciate some discounts on new products or at the very least a free trail run with some type of commitment from us some where later down the road

JW

Jason W.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Better than all others we've looked at

This software allows us to be mobile and have all info we need at any location.

Pros

Continuous updates, caring staff to help solve problems, simple menus, multiple ways to get things done.

Cons

Can sometimes have too many options for certain tasks. Once a new way of doing something is achieved, they need to remove the old option.

JD

Julie D.

Appolio Review

Overall it a good solution for our property management process for 743 managed properties, some of the simple processes have too many steps and the user profiles do not always meet our companies needs.

Pros

Intuitive menus and ability for customers to access information remotely

Cons

The number of steps to complete simple processes such as writing a check and the rigidness making error correction somewhat difficult. Not all functionality supports different business units within one system

CF

Curt F.

Appfolio

We use both Appfolio and the Appfolio Plus add-on and it runs our entire business. We use it for maintenance, for running the management books, and for our resident communication. The ability to use it on the web or a mobile app means I have access to everything I need no matter where I am at or what I am doing and for a distributed workforce, this is huge.

Pros

I love that it is easy to use. While I personally come from a technical background, the entire company must be able to effectively use the software daily, and getting up and going only takes a day!

Cons

It is a closed system. You cannot easily use it with other software aside from exporting reports.

JH

Julie H.

Coldwell Banker Danforth Property Management

Pros

Ease of use for everyone involved in our property management business--ownership, management, staff, external property managers. AF stays ahead of the market and proactively provides solutions. Customers input matters to AF.

Cons

Would like a way to see what tenants and association homeowners see on their end to help troubleshoot portal issues.

TH

Tim H.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Generally it has been really high quality. It has no double made our business more efficient and more effective. Digital inspections are awesome. Real-time updates are great. Reporting is moldable. The Excel connect tool is almost great. Certainly helps.

Pros

Its ease of use. It is very intuitive, there is only one role and it is really quick and easy to learn.

Cons

Tenant screening is a complete farce. AppFolio knows its a complete farce.

RO

Rick O.

Terrible customer support!

Again simply terrible and simply absent customer support.

Pros

Nothing.

Cons

From top to bottom as a user of this platform for over 5 years I simply must say its one of the worst software systems available. I've used this system and for more then one property management company. DO NOT USE IT. The cost doesn't support the value and the customer service is atrocious

IB

Ira B.

Real Estate, self-employed

Great choice

Overall I cannot imagine doing property management without the assistance of the software and the support.

Pros

That’s tuff to just say 1 thing . 1) receiving rent 2) taking applications 3)one click and goes to advertisement And much more

Cons

The commercial section of it needs to be improved plus offer the same type of advertisement when they vacant .

NP

NICHOLAS P.

AppFolio Property Manager is A+

We used to use a separate system to receive rent payments and would have to manual enter them into Appfolio. By using Appfolio for all payments it has cut down on human error with the data entry and saved HOURS of data entry. We have also saved time and issues by having the tenants enter their maintenance request instead of them telling us and then us entering it. This way they explain exactly what the issue is and can't say I said this or that when we entered it. Just a better way of running a business. Oh and the owner statements pull everything from the system instead of us keeping a spreadsheet with the payments and charges - save time and possibly more human error.

Pros

There are so many features that are great, but there are too many to list. It is great to have all the information in one location from the guest card to the leasing. Having all the online rental payments go right onto their ledger saves so much time. We love also being able to pay owners and vendors from the same system. There are so many features we have not even begun to use and it is just a great system.

Cons

We do not like that we are not able to download the ledger with a total of charges and payments at the bottom of the ledger. They used to offer it and when tenants or cosigners had questions it was a huge help. Another issue we have is not being able to send the letters via email to the cosigners. Most of our tenants are students and the cosigners pay the rent and we need them to get the email letters. Few other things but the PROS outweigh the cons by far.

VM

Vida M.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Back to customer service focus

The customer service was amazing when we started and for many years after. Now the generic e-mails in response to questions and issues are taking away from what made the company special. The added prices for the add-ons are showing that the company is more revenue focused. I recently had a conference call with someone that was so condescending. Our office was shocked. Has the company changed hands? It's just disappointing.

Pros

Easy to use. Product is always changing, improving with technology.

Cons

The products are always improving but they are being rolled out before talking to more users of what they are looking for in the new product. It seems to fit some but not all. It's becoming "yardi like" with each add on costing more and more. Things used to be included and now it feels as though the company is more profit focused.

TI

Toi I.

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

It’s Effective and Efficient

I love it! I prefer it over Yardi! It can be used as an accounting program, property mgr program, marketing program, affordable housing certification/ recertification. Communication with residents and leads.

Pros

Being able to market specific units by adding videos/ photos and an auto generated marketing description based on tags added to each individual unit based on its own unique floorplan

Cons

Sometimes different financial reports do not speak to each other so one report can be misleading from the other

LT

Lijun T.

My Thought

Good, will continue to use it.

Pros

Easily to use, online for tenant/owner, rent tracking,

Cons

Too expensive, cannot create customized reports

JM

Jason M.

Appfolio

we love Appfoio

Pros

Appfolio is easy to use, the software is easy to navigate and they are always coming out with new helpful features

Cons

I wish there could be better integration with management forms. I wish we could upload videos for inspections. The inspection module in the mobile app is slow uploading pictures.

DK

David K.

Excellent Property Management Software, but there is a learning curve

It has streamlined and automated a lot of the processes that Yardi could never do. And the customer support is incredible.

Pros

All the modules, (maintenance, accounting, applications etc.) work together seamlessly. The automation processed for converting applicants to tenants, work order flow, marketing and the tenant portal are all incredible.

Cons

There is a step learning curve. The tutorials are great, but it takes awhile to get the feel of the system. Sometimes, AppFolio is a little too efficient and doesn't give you a chance to correct an entry error before it posts. It would be great if we could have an offline AppFolio where we could try different processes and procedures without it impacting our live database.

KJ

Karen J.

Perfect for Property Management

This software saved me hours and hours of work when we started using it! I love this software for managing long term properties.

Pros

Ease of paying owners monthly, tenant move in and move outs are much easier to track and record

Cons

transferring funds around can be a bit difficult if you make an error

MH

Morgan H.

Commercial Real Estate, 1-10 employees

I love AppFolio

Pros

The ease of all of the features. I love the program and what it does for our company. Customer support is also a huge plus! They're always fast with getting back and follow up with you to make sure your issue got resolved. They just go the distance to make sure you understand the issue you may have or answer any questions about new features you haven't used.

Cons

Some features are confusing and don't make sense. Could be "dumbed" down a bit without having all the extra steps. There are also some features that I feel like we may be able to get use out of, but they aren't high lighted as much. Like the inspection aspect, I feel like we'd be able to use it but there's things in there that needed to be added. Also we would love to be able to write down keys/fobs that each tenant may have in their "units", but it only gives you the option of the key number. Just a couple things that need to be tweaked for us to use them efficiently.

Dear Morgan, we're so glad you love AppFolio and the diligence of our Customer Success Team! We always welcome product feedback to help us build out new and current feature offerings. We'd love to hear from you! Please post your suggestions regarding mobile inspections or your ideas for simplifying other processes on our Product Suggestion Board (linked from your AppFolio database). In regards to Key...

GM

Gina M.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Started off strong and falling off the wagon

Pros

It handles a lot of the issues a PM needs

Cons

In the beginning we loved appfolio. We used it at our old company and immediately signed up for this one. Previously, my only real complaint was how complicated it is to mess up accounting. Now, it seems a lot of things are off. There are requests PMs have made for years other software companies have that are critical and still not implemented. The prices keep going way up and service is going...

MR

Merritt R.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Appfolio is easy to use and they actually care!

Great interface to use, new hires catch on quickly. Support is a quick turn around and they constantly ask you the customer for feedback. New features rolled out almost daily and we the users can submit and vote on upgrades we think would benefit the industry and the database most. Cloud based so there's never an outage and the online resources this system provides makes business easier as well as more productive as our residents can pay rent online, submit maintenance requests, even buy renters insurance all through their portal. A one stop shop that makes our jobs easier and makes follow up and follow through a breeze.

Pros

Ease of use and easy customer serivce interactions

Cons

important features to our company aren't implemented soon enough but at least they have the option to submit and vote!