AppFolio Property Manager Logo

Cloud-based property management software.

AppFolio Property Manager Reviews - Page 6

1,893 reviews

JR

Jay R.

Commercial Real Estate, 11-50 employees

It Just Works

It has been life changing and that’s not meant to be an exaggeration.

Pros

Everything just works, there aren’t a bunch of external modules that don’t sink, the software is constantly updating and on the cutting edge of technology.

Cons

Nothing at this point. Our experience has been tremendous.

SC

Sandro C.

Almost Perfect

Makes managing a larger apartment complex relatively easy. Bang for your buck, you can't do much better.

Pros

It has so many great features, especially integration with the tenants. We can do electronic leasing. Tenants can pay via the portal. We can capture our email and text communications within the software, when used appropriately. Overall, it is a fantastic product but it does have the usual annoyances that come with every software.

Cons

For as good as it is, it sometimes lacks the most basic features. For example, the software will automatically prorate rent for any new lease, but it does not prorate the adjustment for renewal leases. You have to do that manually. Furthermore it does not permit maximum customization of reports. There are fields that show up on some reports, but not others you might like them to show up on.

SG

Shauna G.

One-Stop Shop

Very positive. I've overall enjoyed this system and surely don't know all the cool things it does. I appreciate any education on how to better leverage the tools it offers and how to do things more efficiently. I'm glad my company switched to Appfolio years ago.

Pros

Easy to use; lots of reporting options and communication tools; functional mobile app; helpful shortcuts like delinquent payment reports.

Cons

The lack of customization across multiple users, as it relates to certain accounting preferences. For example, if one manager likes late fees immediately added to a tenant's balance on a certain date, but other managers prefer to do that manually, the system doesn't allow for individual customization from manager to manager.

RD

Robyn D.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

This program does it all!

I used quickbooks and Peachtree in the past, and they don't even compare to this one!! This one has freed up so much space on my devices too, because I don't need 5 programs anymore, this ONE does it all, and for much cheaper.

Pros

I love that I've been able to stop paying separately for postage machines, for label makers, credit and background checking, and a few others.. This one program has taken the place of 5 programs I've had to use in the past. And it's so much cheaper then paying for 5 others and their monthly fees..

Cons

I haven't found any cons about this program. I really can't say enough good things about it. Don't stay on the fence about this one, you'll be so glad you tried it out

Hi Robyn, we are so thrilled to see that you are enjoying AppFolio! Thank you so much for your review we greatly appreciate it.

DF

Douglas F.

Gold Standard in Property Management Accounting

Bottom line is it just works. Appfolio has done an outstanding job providing every feature you need to manage rental property.

Pros

Very little down time with this online software. It's very easy to use and to train employees to use. There may be a feature they don't have, but I can't think of it.

Cons

The customer support has declined dramatically over the last couple of years as they moved to chat based from phone support. What you used to be able to accomplish in minutes now can take an hour. Also the initial sales contact was so bad that if I had not previously worked with Appfolio for years, I would have moved to another product.

SD

Sandy D.

Property Management

We have had a great experience with AppFolio. We plan to continue the use of this program.

Pros

I like that we can receive help very easily when needed and everything is in one program. Very useful for our company as well as the tenants and homeowners.

Cons

The biggest issue that we have and most people using this program is that the tenants when moving out there needs to be a way to refund them their deposit through ACH. Just like we do with homeowners and vendors. These days with Covid-19 and the way the Post Office is continuing to lose the checks in the mail. This would be much simpler. Also if a tenant overpays for some reason we should be able to put the money back in their account. This would be a very helpful tool for all Property Managers.

db

diana b.

Awesome Property Management Product

Fabulous overall experience. Easy to use, easy to access necessary information, generous standardized reports

Pros

Web based platform, ease of use, great customer support

Cons

inability to customize certain features, not flexible in terms of customization

TT

Thomas T.

Hindsight is 20/20

We are a small Real Estate Company that switched to Appfolio four months ago. Non-stop problems. Importation had errors northwards of 60%. Software is very inflexible from an accounting perspective and does not allow much local control. Lack of combined client general ledgers renders large accounts unwieldy and virtually impossible to effectively service. Out of the box we had to design workarounds...

Pros

Good marketing product, nice integration with applications, lead generation, and designed website.

Cons

Importation and set up was an absolute mess. Importation team coded 60% of accounts wrong. Monthly issues arising from bill coding, lack of combined general ledgers for clients with multiple properties. Lack of centralized general ledger showing clean accounting. Complex and unwieldy client statements. Contentious unhelpful customer support that takes 48-72 hours to respond and frequently with non-solutions. Lack of local data control. Lack of local bill coding control. Clients complain frequently that statements are confusing, badly designed, and the lack of a client general ledger makes large investment accounts virtually impossible to track cleanly.

Dear Tom, thank you for providing this feedback to us, we value your thoughts and hope to improve your experience! A manager will be reaching out to you to work with you towards solutions for these challenges.

Dawn R.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Appfolio - Completes the management package!

Appfolio has allowed for all of our management records, tracking etc; to be held in one very convenient location with peace of mind.

Pros

We use Appfolio daily, even when away from the office. Appfolio has continued to adapt to the ever changing technology and real estate fields. Our tenants have full access to their tenancy and are able to communicate to us through our system - not only expediting any tenant requests but also documenting for our records! A real time saver for us.

Cons

Many advances in the program have increased the cost of the service, or make the service unobtainable to us smaller companies because of the cost. It would also be very helpful if they offered a report writer, something that allows us to fully determine and create reports based on our needs and our management agreement. There are plenty of reports to choose from and customize, but in the end - they are still not the exact report that we desire.

KH

Kylie H.

Family Business

This software has streamlined our operations and increased our ability to handle a greater number of properties. It has also improved communication between us and the tenants and us and the owners, therefore improving on relationships.

Pros

Very organized, the tabs on the left make it very easy to jump from category to category, and you can limit what certain people have access to. It’s very easy for the tenants to pay rent and report maintenance issues, and for the owners to see everything to do with repairs, rent, their pay outs and other fees. It also makes documenting communication easier for reference, and makes it faster to get information to the contractors and vendors we use.

Cons

When a tenant moves in on any day other than the first of the month, the accounting system automatically lumps the first months rent and the prorated rent together. This can’t be changed until the first of the following month, this has proven to be confusing for the new tenants. Also, we can’t search work orders by property, we have to go into the owners ledger to see what’s been paid for each property.

Hi Kylie, thanks for the review. It's great to hear you are finding greater efficiency with AppFolio. In regards to your work order issue, you should be able to search for work orders per property on the work orders tab. You should also be able to change your proration settings to negate that issue. Someone from our team will reach out to assist!

KC

Kris C.

Fomer Yardi User

I could not do the job I do today without AppFolio. There is no other property management software that integrates every aspect of the business. The customer service is the best I've encountered over the years. There is definitely a core value at the top management at AppFolio that filters down to everyone we interact with. Awesome company, awesome product.

Pros

Follows the flow process of property management. AppFolio easily allows me to complete the tasks for three employees. There are redundancies that prevent common and costly mistakes. Having an advertising module built in is fabulous. We only use AppFolio for advertising, The maintenance module continues to grow in functionality and the electronic Lease process reduces time and work required from our Leasing Agent.

Cons

IF I had to say something, I would say that changes for the sake of changes can be counterproductive. Just when I feel comfortable with a new feature or process, it changes. I think this is due to shift in mobility demands from the new generation moving into the work force and AppFolio has to meet these demands or become just another past property management software.

Dear Kris, thanks for your awesome feedback, we appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us! We understand the need for balance between new features without it becoming a distraction, our teams are always trying to make the transition of new releases as smooth as possible while still bringing you the latest and greatest technology!

CP

Clayton P.

Very glad we got Appfolio

We really enjoyed being on Appfolio for the past five years. We have appreciated the upgrades and in and added functions that they have done over that time. And I feel like the support that we were given is really very very

Pros

Appfolio has saved us a tremendous amount of time in our monthly tasks. It puts our financials at our fingertips. And it allows us to share the financials with the people we need to very easily. The system for scheduling and paying vendors is very easy and wonderful to have integrated into the recordkeeping for the units. The various functions used with renting new properties renting properties to new tenants is great to work with. The system for communicating with tenants once they are in his real great. From maintenance request to being able to contact the entire buildings tenant is really easy and leaves a good record. I’m the one who writes our leases and amendments. I really like the way the system works for that. Overall we are very happy working with the system

Cons

I think the accounting functions are a bit more cumbersome than they need to be for us. They do provide for a very nice audit trail on each of the elements, but there are some aspects of it that even our accountant gets lost in. It has a built-in inspection Report function which we have been on able to use effectively.

TB

Tamra B.

Construction, 1-10 employees

AppFolio

The product overall is a very nice product for a residential management application. User friendly, decent functionality, clean look. Sales and implementation teams are very responsive; the continuation teams are not quite as responsive or accessible. They have a user forum where suggestions, questions and answers can be submitted and reviewed. They are continually improving the product and consider...

Pros

Very user friendly; clean look; multiple search functions; decent reporting; user portal functionality; great implementation team; decent support; continually adding new features and enhancements; affordable - great value for the investment

Cons

Very limited for commercial property management applications; accounting platform does not adequately support multiple or independent accounts for individual properties; tenant and owner profile info pages are very limited for a commercial

Hi Tamra - Thank you for posting a review, we appreciate your willingness to share your feedback as we are always seeking to improve our offering! When your company decided to leave AppFolio in April, our Customer Success team learned in detail about the challenges you had with our system. Since then, we have improved the tenant portal experience for commercial tenants and are continually making improvements to our accounting and reporting workflows. We have many happy commercial property managers using our system and hope that you will consider us again in the future!

DL

Dana L.

My Experience with AppFolio

Easy to get data out of the product. Don't need to be technical.

Pros

I am a CPA and have a Masters Degree in Management Information Systems. I've used AppFolio for 15 months and was instrumental in the selection and implementation process. This software company excels in customer service and software ease of use. Many of the functions are intuitive and those that require a learning tool, AppFolio has live training sessions and training videos. When support is needed, I have yet to have a bad experience with them. The staff is very knowledgeable and listen to what your issue is. They are improving the software periodically. Most current feature I have seen is their software will read an invoice and try to place the correct data in the correct field. The more you use it, the smarter it gets.

Cons

No Conversion program from Skyline. We had to store historical data externally.

Luana K.

Appfolio - The UP & COMING in Property Management Cloud Based Services

#1 in response and communication hands down - since day one their response time has been better than any others I have heard of - Bar NONE - Overall we enjoy it. A couple problems with call center person not understanding we are not in California so have different rules, BUT, overall - Love them!

Pros

Appfolio is relatively new to the industry compared to Yardi and others however, the strides they have made in such a short time are remarkable! I researched 8 software providers when I started my company and went with Appfolio in 2014 because I saw their vision. While it has been a bit clunky at times when rolling new features out, the fact that they have made such huge strides in the 4 years I have been in the industry is amazing. I think I might see it more than others because I come from a background in software engineering so it gives me a better insight to how much actually goes into the process. I am looking forward to more in the next 4 years!

Cons

The accounting is a bit clunky and can be a problem for other states that have different laws than California. It takes 15 steps when it should take 3. The maintenance really needs inspections for tenants to fill out online. Owner management agreements need to be online. More flexibility to creating documents for all parties. Better tracking methods for move in move out procedures.

KT

Kenneth T.

AppFolio De-brief

We are ahead of the market with our reporting, communications and capabilities.

Pros

The ability to run reports for our clients and send them via the system, ease of communicating with boards and owners, excellent web site support, very good technical support

Cons

Transition team could have been a bit more helpful.

BW

Brett W.

simple and sweet

its a quality software that solves all areas of property management from advertising to web integration for leasing, maintenance, paying rent, turnover, vendors, insurance, etc. nothing is 100% but Appfolio is darn close, you wont be disappointed you can run your entire business from your cell phone! I Do... whats not to Love...

Pros

cloud based the information quick and its easy to access with in the program our entire staff works with it

Cons

all software has limitations we do not get some of the information we would like out of some reports but that is with all software, the ability to come up to speed with changes and updates, reading is the only way you will find out about them... there in little to no customer support in that area of training no videos or guides....

TG

Tony G.

Commercial Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Fantastic Property Management Partner

Pros

What we love about AppFolio is simply not just the software but having a trusted and dedicated partner in managing our properties. This cloud based solution is easily accessible from any PC or Mac, tablet or phone. With constant enhancements and updates the database stays well ahead of the curve in answering demands we have yet to make. The engineers and coding experts at Appfolio often provide...

Cons

Hi Tony, we're so glad you love AppFolio! Listening to our customers in order to provide enhancements that make your lives easier is one of our main goals. We are thankful for your partnership with us and we look forward to many years together!

GC

Gina C.

AppFolio is an all-around good property management software

Pros

Appfolio is great for single family and multi-family property management. I have used it in the leasing role and the manager role. In both cases, I found it to be intuitive and easy to use for individuals with a variety of skill levels. The maintenance portal was probably one of the best I've seen. I can start with a resident's service request, send it to my vendor, make notes along the way,...

Cons

This software would not be ideal for a company that participates in the LIHTC/Section 42 program. It seems to be sufficient for use with residents that participate in programs like Section 8, though. Some data sets also require that you pull two or more reports to see all of the data you need. The reports are highly customizable, once you learn how to use them, but some of the data is just not available from one report to the next.

TD

Thomas D.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Stay far away. I miss managing over 160 properties with excel.

Pros

Integration is available for an upcharge.

Cons

🤬Signed up for AppFolio in December, 2019 was pushed to sign off on the setup by the end of December before it was ready. After 6 months of trial and error I was able to get the system functional enough to work. Unfortunately this lack of support and customer care has not changed. For example, a owner credit was incorrectly applied to a suppressed charge. This caused an accounting error. This error...

DS

Daniel S.

Appfolio Highly Recommended

Pros

Appfolio continues to improve and bring value to the property management company as well as the tenant. Entirely web based, it includes many features that other software packages charge additional for. My company has been using it for 4+ years and it's been an integral component in our ability to grow rapidly. Highly recommended.

Cons

Appfolio is a closed eco-system, meaning they do not allow API's and outside developers to create third-party apps to improve the functionality of the software. This limits the ability for the software to improve exponentially with the help of 3rd party developers. This is a major drawback that they should reconsider.

EC

Elizabeth C.

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Must Have

This makes my job a lot easier. AppFolio is always innovating and coming out with new improvements. I enjoy using it for it's ease of use for us as property managers as well as for the tenants.

Pros

I don't know how we ever functioned without our tenants having the ability to make payments online or place maintenance requests online, truly a game changer. Texting the tenants is also more useful than I would have expected. I also have found the resident forms very helpful, however, I wish we had the option for more tenant signatures because we have properties with up to to 28 tenants.

Cons

I would like the tenants to be able to see notes for closed work orders. Tenants have to call in to ask questions about closed work orders. I would like more customizable bulk actions like: Changing pricing/descriptions for multiple addresses or at least multiple units at the same time. Right now, we have about 1500 units. When we change pricing it is very time consuming and requires a team dedicated to changing those. Deleting tenant portals for tenants of a unit all at the same time. To individually delete each tenant portal when a unit moves out and then opt them out of the tenant portal so they don't get future emails is very time consuming.

EK

Eileen K.

Overall Does the Job

Pros

We were able to streamline some processes with the features offered by AppFolio.

Cons

You should be able to adjust the security deposit balance on a past tenant when the move process was not used. You should be able to delete journal entries that have not been reconciled.

Hi Eileen, thank you for your review and feedback! You can make adjustments without the move out flow for a security deposit but but would encourage you to reach out to support via chat to gather some more info on what exactly you are trying to accomplish. As far as journal entries, those cannot be completely deleted but can be reversed which is the equivalent of deleting! I hope that helps answer any questions.

LG

Lisa G.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Very user-friendly with frequent updates

We manage a lot of different properties that have a variety of owners. AppFolio helps our company keep all the data straight and easy to work with. It also has lots of safety features built in to help us make sure we are doing everything correctly. I would highly recommend AppFolio to anyone with a buisness on a scale of our sized company or bigger.

Pros

AppFolio is easy to use and is great at keeping data organized and searchable. It is constantly being updated to help make it function better on mobile devices. The more I learn about Appfolio the more ways I find that help me function better at my job. The safety features and warning boxes are very helpful to make sure changes aren't made that would effect data incorrectly.

Cons

The formatting changes are hard to get used to when you have a system that works well for you. But over time you get used to the changes and they work out fine. I enter lots of tenant receipts and the auto-recall feature is not as intuitive as I would like it to be. With the most recent changes the calender feature does not move on the screen with the scroll bar.

Thanks for the review, Lisa! AppFolio's new layout gives you more room to view important content, a consistent experience across devices and maintains ease of use as we continue to add new, valuable features. We'll look into the calendar to make sure you can continue to find the capabilities you depend on.

BR

Bethany R.

Flexible, Intuitive Software

Overall, we love the software and appreciate that the product is constantly being improved.

Pros

The features are easy to use, and offer many avenues for communicating with tenants, vendors, and staff. I appreciate how easy it is to keep track of information.

Cons

We hoped to integrate a project management software in order to streamline our communications. The option was not available without doubling the amount we would pay for Appfolio, which is not in our budget. Most of the innovations lately seem to be regarding training/turnover. This is not something we need. We are a small staff that has little to no turnover. We would like more options for our current staff to be more supported and organized.