Gusto Reviews

4.71/5 (1,135 reviews)

Bryan Halper

Low Cost, same issues as full-service

Reviewed 2018-12-24

This system wins on cost and that is about it. It is a very low priced alternative to the full-service shops, which are extremely overpriced for what has become a very automated technology focused service. It comes relatively highly recommended simply because of this.This is a very low-cost solution for self-service payroll. It allows you to pay your Employees and Contractors and handles virtually all of the taxes and processing of payments to the taxing authorities. The interface is extremely intuitive. Employees are emailed all end of year documents automatically. The company also offers access to two-day payroll processing.

Pamela DeLong

We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning

Reviewed 2018-08-14

I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Brad Henderson

I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about

Reviewed 2018-07-02

1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right. 2- Saves time: It automates many of the functions that shouldn't ever be done manually. And because of that I don't have to do as much or I don't have to pay as much for routine services that don't add value to my business. 3- Saves money: As a startup, you feel like you need to figure out a lot of things a normal business would normally just pay for because you can't afford it. Gusto is affordable enough that it's doable for a young company all while doing enough work that it's easy to justify the cost, which many services fail to do. It's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm! I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.

Miriam Mueller

Want to hug Gusto

Reviewed 2016-07-28
Review Source: Software Advice

I am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.

Karla Geldmachr

Super Payroll Solution for Small Businesses

Reviewed 2018-09-08
Review Source: Software Advice

This is my go-to solution for any client whose payroll we are involved with. We use it ourselves and highly recommend to small businesses. If you go through your accountant there is a discount on the subscription price. The subscription can be paid by the client or the accountant.This is a cloud based solution with a subscription price that is less than the big payroll companies. I like that you can have employees "onboard" themselves by filling in their personal information and bank information for direct deposit. This increases accuracy and preserves the employee security. I also like that the business HAS to have the payroll tax payments withdrawn with the payroll submission thus enforcing compliance. Gusto does all the Payroll Tax Return fillings, you can log in and get them. There is no need to print or deliver paychecks, which saves money and time - employees can get their stubs and W-2 by download. It integrates with your accounting software for automated recording, another time saver that increases accuracy. Support is excellent, and they deal with any notices resulting from transactions on their watch. If payroll is the same each time you can set to autopay!

Neha Tewari

Awesome payroll support for small businesses.

Reviewed 2018-06-19

Gusto is a perfect and easy to use payroll portal both for employer & employees. It has a self on boarding system, for employers to send new hires their offer letter and paper work through its portal. Employees can easily update their address, direct deposit info, withholding all in one place. Previous month’s pay stubs can also be accessed easily. Employees can easily load W2 directly into turbo tax through its website. One can also keep track on the taxes paid. Gusto also offers detailed description and helpful tips of required information to be inputted. Its editing process is also very simple & straightforward when any changes need to be made to employee info or business features.

Gusto changed my world!!

Reviewed 2018-04-16

Gusto saves me so much time and worry. I know that our benefits are managed correctly and that we are always in compliance. I also know that everything on the payroll side is taken care of and if there is an issue or mistake the super amazing customer support team is ready to help!We love using Gusto for not only our payroll but they also manage all of our benefits. Gusto managing our benefits has been such a life saver! I don't have to think about being in compliance anymore I know that they are keeping everything up to date. I get reminders when it's time to run payroll, when new employees need to sign up for benefits and when we need to renew our benefits.

Nicole Boddam-Whetham

Head of Business Improvmenent and HR

Reviewed 2015-06-30
Review Source: Software Advice

Support. They see every issue through as if you're the most important or the only client. They're thorough and they tolerate you if you're on a learning curve (we're an Australian business setting up our US operations and health etc benefits is a new and unnatural thing for a business to grapple with). The software is flawless and usability is perfect. We run our payroll in a few clicks, and that's because we don't choose autopilot. Used to run benefits thru Zenefits who made a lot of errors, and zenpayroll stepped in without hesitation or complaint and ran every correction. It's complete, not half cooked. It's how software and support should be done.

Liz Birch

Finally! A quick and easy resource for paychecks.

Reviewed 2018-12-28

It is so hard to find a simple platform with a clean interface when it comes Payroll but Gusto has achieved that. I have used several different programs and Gusto is by far my favorite because of the ease of use. I also love the email they send on payday that says "Hooray! You got paid today." Gusto seems to know what the typical employee wants when they log into their payroll application - as soon as you sign in there is a big blue button that says "See your last paystub", super helpful and saves time! You can also easily access your PTO time, year to date statistics on your wages, taxes, net salary, hours worked, and other helpful statistics. On just a small fun note, their graphics on their website are adorable.

Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician

Gusto makes payroll stupid easy

Reviewed 2018-11-29

Gusto makes payroll incredibly easy, makes integrating with Quickbooks simple, and makes the entire payroll process very transparent. I can add bonuses or commissions to any employee for any payroll period and I get an easy breakdown of where all the money that is drawn out of my business account is going. Any time I've needed help or support Gusto has been fantastic either on the phone, via email or with Live Chat. I don't know how other payroll companies do things but I know that I love Gusto. Taking care of payroll each month takes literally just seconds. My company is small, so maybe a larger company with a lot more employees might take a little longer. But probably no more than a couple of minutes. Plus, I love how Gusto gives an entire breakdown of what is being paid and to who so you can see exactly how much the employee gets and how much does to his/her taxes, and also how much in payroll taxes the company is paying.

cary cecil

I think this is one of the best software programs if you have to do payroll and filing

Reviewed 2018-06-19

Awesome software for keeping your payroll on point and it also allows employees, contractors etc etc to look at all their past payroll history any time they want. You can handle all kinds of situations with this software including notifications with money deposits, or if you need to turn in a time off notice you could do it through this software,First of all I believe Gusto is more user friendly than any type of Quickbooks related software program. This program will literally keep your payroll organized and on point It actually gives me the exact amount of payroll that I owe every other week which helps me stay on track and eases up some of my frustrations crunching numbers and physically doing it myself. It literally does everything for you once you have the specific information entered, especially filing and organizing your payroll

Raghu Yadav

Great product for payroll

Reviewed 2018-12-23

Gusto Zen payroll does everything for my business, this software is face is getting access to high-quality, yet affordable, software, particularly in HR for our business, it as given a huge demand for my business, it can be used in health sector also, thanks for such a wonderful product, gusto gives a lot more packages for your needs, it's an ideal management online payroll gives our business to gain profits...Gusto provides a cloud-based payroll, benefits, and human resource management solution for businesses ,Gusto helps in handling payments to employees and contractors and saves time, it can manage electronically as of paper work to the client needs, Gusto benefits administration and compliance management platform. Designed to serve mainly small businesses across world , gusto mainly works for payroll system and human resource for your business i strongly recommend this software it's number one product for your businesses

Beth Maeyer

Gusto is a miracle tool for payroll!!!!

Reviewed 2017-10-10

This software has made payroll and hiring such a breeze! I used to dread new hire processing- but with Gusto the new hire do all of the work! And the interface makes it totally easy for them. =)I am obsessed with this product and the support staff that comes with it! I have tried Intuit and ADP before finding Gusto. Gusto was a total game changer for me. The software is easy to use and really makes payroll a breeze for those of us who have businesses to run! You can upload a CSV file with that week's hours and any other payments and BOOM- payroll is done. I also like that they give me the exact amount I owe each week for that payroll- no monthly or quarterly surprises to budget for. And I have opted to roll in my workers comp payments as well. SO EASY. They also offer AMAZING onboarding options that mean every time I hire, I only enter a new employee's email address and they do the rest. I then verify that things look ok against their ID, e-sign the i9 and it's back to business for me. Everything looks modern, fresh and fun- and that makes my company look polished and put together! I literally do not know how we managed while using the other companies. We love Gusto!!!!

Amy Tilton

Makes payroll easy for a newbie

Reviewed 2018-11-15

As a small business owner, I just hired my first couple employees last year. I was completely new to the whole thing, and was a bit intimidated by all the requirements of doing payroll. After looking into a few payroll software options, I went with Gusto and am glad I did. It walked me through everything, in a very user-friendly way. It has helpful articles about the various requirements of payroll taxes, steps for hiring employees, forms to fill out, etc. The setup took a bit of time, but was a pretty reasonable process. Now that it's all set up, I don't have to spend hardly any time at all on payroll. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes every two weeks on payroll, and then don't have to think about it. Gusto handles all the payroll taxes (filing, paying, etc), and employee direct deposits. It honestly couldn't be easier.

Robert Dawson

Cheapest, fastest, best service

Reviewed 2016-07-27
Review Source: Software Advice

Their pricing is not only competitive, but scales linearly with the size of your organization - beating many other services handily price-wise for smaller companies, especially if you run bi-weekly or weekly payrolls. The ability to pay Gusto by month rather than by the payroll gives me flexibility in paying our employees more frequently without added cost. To top it all off, their customer service reflects their aim of taking on their relatively enormous competitors - they have an incredible support team.

An HR-solution revelation for employees

Reviewed 2018-09-16

I wish the HR solutions at my previous companies had been as helpful as Gusto has been. So many other providers create such needless headaches when looking for the most basic employment (pay, benefits, insurance, 401k, etc.) information. Gusto's been a revelation.As an employee, it's been such a revelation using Gusto. It's so easy to get so many HR-related things done (check pay stubs, change tax exemption status, see benefits, etc.) in a friendly, well-designed solution that it's mind-boggling that some of the older, entrenched HR solutions have been getting away with such a painful UX for so long. It's one of those companies where they really seem to lean into their brand promise in every little interaction... even when I emailed them to ask a question about COBRA coverage, they responded sooner than expected with a friendly, personalized, helpful response. It felt like I was talking to someone who represented the company and genuinely cared about my experience with them. (Unlike, say, an outsourced call center person.)

Alex Lipscomb

There's a reason why they call it ZenPayroll!

Reviewed 2015-05-02

After trying out the Big Guys is payroll I was lucky enough to stumble upon Zen. Sign up was easy and implementing it into our business was a breeze. Everything can be done online so it saved a number of hours getting important data into the system. They also have an amazing contractor portal where independent professionals, temp staff and other workers can see their whole payroll history. My favorite part about ZenPayroll (other than the incredibly great support) is that they handle all of the filing for you. Working with the EDD can be a paperwork nightmare and ZenPayroll takes all the pain out of it. I love getting our quarterly filing notices that say "No action is required from you at this time." It's like having a dedicated person to handle all of that boring, yet necessary and legal paperwork of hiring, taxes and payments, who always knows what to do and when. I truly believe no one does payroll for small business better than ZenPayroll.Quick. Easy. Efficient. Completely cloud based. All the filing and heavy lifting done for you. Great user interface and paying employees and contractors is super easy. I also really like the price. You get everything for one flat rate, and you only pay for the employees that you have and the contractors you pay for that month.

Gusto makes payroll, benefits, and HR refreshingly easy.

Christopher J. Ferretti (冯克林)

Say goodbye to Toby from the Office and say hi to Gusto

Reviewed 2018-10-17

I get paid through it and it was easy to get myself set up and I help people set up their payroll on it. It's incredibly easy-to-use. Not much I can say after that. Oh and their support is great. Gusto is the easiest, and most user-friendly app to manage people, payroll and benefits. At work, I train people on how to use this product and it takes me under 30 minutes to do so. It's incredibly user-friendly, and if you ever have issues that would typically require an HR person (i.e tricky HR cases), you could reach out to Gusto and they could help you navigate through it as the business owner.

Janine Sickmeyer

Exceptional Customer Support!

Reviewed 2018-12-31

I love that Gusto does all of the HR work for me and that my team can log in anytime to download a past pay. It's easy to make payroll and team member updates and add bonuses or commission on the fly. Any time I've had a problem I've been able to get in touch with a friendly helpful person on the phone immediately and that is SO important with a payroll company!

Erin Quarles

Easy and Flexible Payroll and HR Management

Reviewed 2016-08-29
Review Source: Software Advice

This product is very user friendly. It allows you to manage various types of employees in various locations with easy. I could easily manage salaried and hourly employees and it allows hourly employees to enter their own hours. It also allowed employees to set-up their profiles, which saved time on my part in the back-end. Instead of copying a lot of personal information and making constant W-4 updates, the software allows employees to set themselves up with information they know well and make changes that streamline during the payroll process.

Edmond Lorts

Easier than having an accounting department write checks!

Reviewed 2018-09-27

Although it's just a way to pay people, it matters a lot to the recipients. It's a neat and clean way to show your employees that you care by making payday (the reason we all show up) a bit easier to understand. This service makes it VERY easy for all our employees to see not only when they were paid but a breakdown of their check. The stats offered are really helpful for employees that want to know where every cent goes that's not being directly put in their bank account. Their payday emails are fun. They are colorful, full of charts, and even include a bit of trivia. These fun emails help employees take an extra minute to review their current info so there is complete transparancy between employer and emplyee.

Stacey Myers

Gusto is excellent software for the management of labor payrolls

Reviewed 2018-12-02

This software has allowed me to successfully manage the payroll of my small company, besides not only limited to human resources but also it has made it much easier to keep up the payment of the taxes that the law demands, so I avoid delays and penalties for not making these payments at times. I love this application and I recommend it, you should only improve the support and assistance to the user.This software offers the possibility of managing a large number of business factors of the branch of human resources such as hiring, time management, and training among others. The best thing is that it allows you to program payroll payments and the release of benefits, saving time and in a very simple way. You can also calculate and pay the payroll taxes established by law.

chloe faller

This is a great software, very good and ideal for everything related to payroll in companies

Reviewed 2018-12-07

Personally I had a good experience I think it has facilitated certain tasks so I should not complain, I really like it and I think there are many benefits, I really feel very comfortable with this softwareI think that this is good software has served me a lot, I think I like it a lot, it saves a lot of time when it comes to managing the entire payroll part of any company. It is quite useful Gusto because it allows to have programmed the nomida payments and everything that should be canceled to the workers, also I can generate reports to know what there is and what I owe, something really efficient I like it because it is simple and it is not difficult to understand, I can keep an order and know how the organization is

Nolan Hodapp

Very easy-to-use, simple software that does everything I really need it to.

Reviewed 2018-01-16
Review Source: Software Advice

Like I said, I'm not sure what changed, but when we first started with Gusto (mid-2017), the response rate on emails were fantastic. Now, the only time I can get a response via email is if I submit a question and end up calling multiple days later. By the time my email is responded to, I typically have the answer from some other source or from a phone call. Good software with the potential to be great.--Very easy to use overall --The dashboard is nice, especially with the notifications --Love the intertwined tax forms --Ability to customize reports --Number of different reports you can run --For the most part, support is very knowledgeable

Anonymous

Payroll services for small business

Reviewed 2018-08-21

The biggest benefit it gives me as a small business is the ability to not spend time on worrying about payroll, taxes, documentation, etc. I like Gusto because it links to another service I use for time cards, it's trustworthy and my team can upload their own direct deposit info, pull their w-2 and change their w-4 as needed helping me to avoid the need to be full HR while trying to run a business. It sends you several reminders to run payroll before the deadline so you can meet your team's timing expectations. They file documents for you with the State and Fed government as well.