TestGorilla Logo

TestGorilla

Pre-employment testing software for HR professionals

TestGorilla Reviews

4.2

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.01/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

The product is pretty useful for the purpose we use it for - mostly in the recruitment process. Integration to our process was easy enough, which is a great plus.
Overall it was very satisfactory, you can have your first assessment created, and shared within 10 minutes, and the screening questions, welcome video and anti-cheating functionality is great.
Easy to set up, the customer service is astounding. Love the variety of tests and assessments available.
There question library and test for. NET technologies is somewhat limited, and the intermediate level questions are more difficult than expected.
This makes scoring somewhat opaque, and it is hard to judge if the tests are 100% aligned to the knowledge/skills you are looking to test for.
Using test Gorilla has cut down on a lot of the administrative burden of assessing candidates.

JW

Janelle W.

Director of Recruiting

Construction, 51-200 employees

Test Gorilla is exactly what we needed

Transcript

Janelle W.: Hi, I'm Janelle, I'm a director of recruiting and I give TestGorilla a five out of five....

DS

Deb S.

Training and Recruitment Manager

Outsourcing/Offshoring, 1,001-5,000 employees

Recommended!

Transcript

Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Deb. I'm a training manager, and I give TestGorilla five out of five, and for more...

Dina M.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Time Saver

It served it purposes and definitely helped me make two critical job placements in 2021.

Pros

In a small company I wear many hats and do not have time to set up assessments and tests to get proper review of candidates. This allowed me to set up what I needed to sift through candidates to ensure I was bringing in the proper person for the job.

Cons

I'd like to see the questions the candidates answered.

Hi Dina! Thanks a lot for leaving us your thoughts on TestGorilla :) So glad to hear we were able to help you make 2 important hires in this past year, that's great!

Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees

Challenging Assessments to Filter

Pros

TestGorilla is actually really good when it comes to challenge applicants to perform really well, as the overall difficulty of the assessments makes the test unforgivable as you have to be like really concentrated. This helps us a lot because it makes the filtering process easier to advance in other steps of the recruitment process.

Cons

The only thing that I think makes the assessment a little bit complicated for the applicants is the full-screen + camera monitoring, for us it's actually really good because it ensures that the test is done by one person, but for the applicant's side, makes them uncomfortable and may affect a little the whole recruitment overall experience.

Hi there, and thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear that you have been able to screen your candidates effectively using TestGorilla. Regarding the webcam - your candidates are always asked for permission to access the webcam before the assessment, and they have the option to refuse if they feel uncomfortable.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Not very useful

Using this tool to screen candidates for software engineering jobs will not give you a reliable or relevant metric to work from. People who can pass a test like this have memorized a lot of stuff they don't need to know, or are simply cheating. They need to find better ways to assess peoples' real-world skills.

Pros

It's simple to set up and use and pretty quick and secure.

Cons

The test questions and sections are poorly aligned with the job they are testing for, and mostly rely on rote memorization of things people would normally look up in documentation.

AB

Aarzoo B.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

An easy-to-use platform with great features for assessing candidates.

Pros

I like the ease with which you can either invite candidates to a assessment and also send them reminders for the assessment. Saves time and effort. I also like how you can change the status of a candidate to "Interviewed", "Candidate withdrew application", "Rejected" etc. Also the Anit-Cheating monitoring is super useful.

Cons

I would only say it is a bit expensive. There is nothing else I can think of in terms of improvement to the product. Maybe an option to also save candidate contact numbers and Linkedin URLs so that the dashboard can be used to directly to make calls etc.

Hi Aarzoo! Thanks a lot for your feedback. And thank you for your suggestions. I'll be sure to pass those along to our product team, who are always looking for ways to improve our customer offering :) Thanks for being part of the TG community

JP

Jocelyn P.

Telecommunications, 201-500 employees

Streamlined the Screening Process

It has definitely saved us time and the calibre of interviewees means are conversion form interview to hire has improved drastically.

Pros

Being able to direct our candidates to a branded assessment centre, which then takes a lot of the leg work out of CV screening, giving us the ability to quickly select the best candidates for the role. Having the options to create different assessments for different roles is great.

Cons

Unfortunately it does not link in to out recruitment software.

Hi Jocelyn, thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us your feedback on the platform. Great to hear that we helped you with optimising your hiring process, and that you appreciate the flexibility of the platform. Regarding your recruitment software, we are currently integrated with 10 different platforms, and there are more on the roadmpa for Q4. Can you share the name of your specific software? I can take a look and see if it is on the current roadmap :)

Staffing and Recruiting, 11-50 employees

Powerful toop

Over great experience!

Pros

The app is easy to use and integrates already a great number of tests and questions ideas. It clearly makes the implementation easy.

Cons

The app misses some flexibility in terms of answer durations, amount of questions, etc. The candidate review process could clearly be improved (switch from one test to another, avoid popups, etc.).

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to leave us your review, and glad to hear that you are finding the platform easy to use and integrate into your existing process. Welcome to the TG community!

Sovan D.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Liked it!

The software is easy to use and quite efficient

Pros

The software is easy to use and quite efficient

Cons

Nothing yet, good to use by candidates, can work on interface

Hi Sovan! Thanks a lot for taking time to leave a review. Glad to hear that you are having a positive experience with TestGorilla so far! Hopefully we can help you to make your hiring process even more efficient so you can find some really top talent for your company. Welcome to the TG community

Mosé T. B.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Valuable tool to take unbiased decisions while hiring people

I was looking for a candidate with average numerical skills. Testgorilla helped me to waste time and interview people without that skill. Moreover, I am submitting the test before doing the first interview. If the candidate is not taking the time to do the test, he is probably not interested in the job position, and I am not wasting my time with him.

Pros

There are plenty of tests. It is so easy to submit them to the candidates.

Cons

I did not get any notice when candidates ended the tests. Besides most of the time, the test seems to be not ended yet, but in reality, the candidate was done.

Thanks, Mose! Glad TestGorilla helped you avoid wasting time with unqualified candidates. We do have a notification feature for when tests are completed now.

EL

Edward L.

Automotive, 51-200 employees

Good product

The candidates that we hired so far are successful and deliver best

Pros

Easy approach to shortlist candidates by evaluating their aptitude upon decsion making abilities

Cons

Less choices of tests available, involving Automotive trade

Hi Edward! Thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us a review, and glad to hear you are having a positive experience with TestGorilla so far.

KJ

Keshena J.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Get it Now!

Been good so far!

Pros

As a recruiter, this software is of great help with tracking applicants and issuing assessments

Cons

The user interface- could've been better

Hi Keshena, Thanks a lot for your feedback :) Glad to read about your positive experience so far, and happy to hear that we are improving your recruiter experience.

DO

Daniel O.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Easy to configure, but quality of the coding tests is not great

We use TG to assess developers after we've had a first interview with them.

Pros

It's easy to create your own test suite, and selecting predefined tests helps with getting started quickly. I also like the as-they-type code view - it helps to get an idea of how the developer constructs a solution - and I appreciate the automated screenshots (to my surprise all the candidates accepted video captures). I also like the logical thinking tests, although there's not really a way to see the users responses (this goes for all the questions).

Cons

I found some of the tests to be lacking in quality, sometimes resulting in frustration from the developer, or unhelpful results. For example: * the advanced SQL test is not a realistic scenario, and only has 2 outcomes: success or failure. It makes it hard to get an idea of the developers grasp of the subject, because it's just 1 giant assignment. If you get 90% right, you score 0 points. * the Laravel...

TW

Tisha W.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

New User

Always some room for improvement for every software, however I tested multiple competitors and found TestGorilla to provide the best experience for the assessment taker which was our highest priority.

Pros

We choose TestGorilla for it's expansive test library and user experience.

Cons

It's fairly new so still developing, looking forward to feature updates in the future.

AW

Andy W.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Waste of time and money

It did not go well at all.

Pros

The user interface is nice and professional. It's easy to administer

Cons

They claim to offer a "free trial where you can test anything". This is misleading - they make it appear you must upgrade your plan (minimum of $300) in order to try the tests. It is not clear you can test premium features without upgrading. I upgraded so I could try a couple of the tests (Laravel, PHP). I sent the tests to myself and realized they are terrible tests and don't provide any useful screening....

Hi Andy, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback..even though it's unfortunate that you didn't feel that TG was the right fit for your needs. We pride ourselves in being a customer focussed company, and we're sorry you didn't enjoy your experience. However, we do feel that it's clear from our website and from the in-platform info that it's possible to test all the premium features and tests for free on internal users, including the Laravel and PHP test and the custom test feature. Please know that you are welcome back to TestGorilla at any time, and we wish you the best of luck with your hiring process!

JC

Jasper C.

Motion Pictures and Film, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

I wish we had known about this sooner!

Awesome!

Pros

After running my own company for twelve i know how much my success hinges on hiring the right people, but also... how costly (to the point of destructive) it can be to hire the right people. We relied a lot on CVs, referrals and ‘gut feeling’ in picking someone. But this software really made us see the power of test results to help preselecting which candidates to interview. Excellent! We’ve hired...

Cons

Its a community platform on which members can also upload their own tests, but since it hasnt been around that long, i’m looking forward to seeing more test options come available. Still you’ll find more tests on there right now than you could probably take. We’ve found relevant ones (leadership, intelligence, creativity, sales, seo, social media etc) and we’re in a niche sector (advertising and film making)

Love to hear that you've made some great hires with TestGorilla! We use it internally and have noticed the same things you mentioned. We've been able to identify great candidates who we might otherwise have missed. And our Test Library is always growing, so keep an eye out for new tests. We're at over 100 tests now and growing fast!

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

My experience of testgorilla

Pros

The user experience is very handy and looks clean

Cons

There’s no feature to add due date for exam

Happy to hear TestGorilla is working well for you! You can't add a due date right now, but you can archive the test when you don't want people to be able to take it anymore (but you'll still be able to see everyone's scores and information). Hope that helps!

EO

Eveline O.

Management Consulting, 10,001+ employees

Bain & Co Amsterdam

Pros

User friendly, no/limited prep required for candidates (length of assessment given it's short), gives clarity on cheating, easy to navigate, ability to score/ rank candidates on multiple dimensions, flexibility to add/ take-out assessment elements

Cons

No option to provide candidates with preparation to practice

RP

Reili P.

Human Resources, 1-10 employees

Good tool for candidate testing

TestGorilla site is easy to use for English speakers, we mostly use it for use language assessment but because narrow choice of languages we also have to use other service providers.

Pros

Quick way to send several tests at one and make your own assessment. Possibility to send the reminder. Good customer support.

Cons

Because of some banking security certificate problems TestGorilla had, there was not possible to pay with card ad the pre-payment invoice was a cost of "gold". Narrow choice of language tests.

Hi Reili! Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Glad to hear you had a good experience with customer support. Languages and localisation is a big project for us and it is coming down the tracks very soon. We have a road map on our site, where you can see exactly what's in development and being released in the near future - https://help.testgorilla.com/tests-in-development Thanks for being part of the TG community!

NB

Nasia B.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

A real timesafer!

I am very happy with this invention and will definitely keep on using it!

Pros

I love this tool! We used it to find a Customer service agent for our company Sukhi: we had over 1200 applications! Can you imagine how much work it would have been if we had to go through their CVs and emails one-by-one? The average test score is my favorite tool: a great way to distinguish between the candidates. Plus the option to ask the candidates to add a video: it gives a very good first impression combined with their test results.

Cons

The software is very clear and logical, no negative feedback.

1200 applications?! We're so glad you didn't have to pore over them one by one :)

Conrad E.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Test Gorilla Review

Very good - gives us more confidence in our new hires - new hires we have brought on are performing very well.

Pros

Ease of downloading to excel and PDF files.

Cons

Testing levels are subjective - Intermediate level people end up doing senior level coding reviews for example. Testing levels should mimic the market. for example Python Coding challenges should have the titles of "Junior" "Intermediate" or "Senior". Also - please add more testing for machine learning and AI applications - this is the future and it's already here:)

DM

Dee M.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Great product and great value for money for short period use.

It was easy and good value for money so I will use it again this year and have recommended it.

Pros

Ease of set up, simple to read and analyse results, good management tools and excellent price as I could stop the subscription after one month when I was finished testing.

Cons

some seemed a little short - too many questions for the time frame.

VT

Volker T.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees

Could have been a helpful software if it worked and there was a customer service

With virtually no existing customer service, a waste of money and effort and a damage to the reputation of the user. Stay away!

Pros

I liked the simplicity and the ease-of-use.

Cons

The administrator could not add a second email address for the recruiter because the recruiter had previously opened a demo account with TestGorilla. TestGorilla was not able to fix the problem and after a day, did not reply to any service requests by the administrator and the recruiter anymore. So a number of job openings ended up with the recruiter not beeing able to perform his duties and job applicants turned away. Besides, Myers Briggs personality test ("16 types") returned 3 times ESTJ out of 3 candidates. Questionable.

Hi Volker, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your experience. We fully accept that you waited an unusually long period of time for your issue to be resolved. This was a period of increased ticket volumes, for various reasons, and it took us longer than normal to answer. This issue was solved on March 10 for you, 6 days after the ticket was submitted. We wish you the best with your hiring for the future, and hope that TG will be part of the process.

MM

Melih M.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Affordable and fair product

Successfully targets different kinds of developer positions.

Pros

-Pay as you go option -Not expensive -Huge amount of exam types

Cons

-Can't pick questions from the question pool

Hi Melih! Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback. We're happy to hear you have had a positive experience with our product so far, and you appreciate the number and variety of tests in our library - over 150 and counting!

AS

ABHISHEK S.

Retail, 51-200 employees

Great Experience.

Very good

Pros

Very friendly for recruitment, covers tests for all positions.

Cons

Better filtering optimization to scan old tests

RR

Rob R.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

Great tool for assessing candidates

generally very positive

Pros

Tests are fantastic -- we are a web development firm, and the ability to assess a candidate across disciplines (soft skills, technical skills, even coding!)

Cons

The system doesn't notify us when someone has taken an assessment, so we have to keep an eye on it when we've invited someone to partake. This prevents us from fully automating this process.

JN

Janneke N.

Venture Capital & Private Equity, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Great!

Love it!

Pros

I love that you can truly assess somebody's skills. A CV only tells you so much. Especially in VC if you want to hire people that come from different industries and backgrounds testing their skills is key.

Cons

Would love to see how candidates do compared to similar roles.