Marketo Engage Logo

Marketo Engage

Marketing automation for digital marketers

Marketo Engage Reviews

User ratings

4.2

• Likelihood to recommend8.03/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

Great for triggering any action you want really and so useful if you are sending out large volumes of emails every month. Integration options are great too.

Its almost intelligent interaction with prospects allows our team great confidence in engaging and in capturing quality leads.

LC

Louis C.

Marketo customer support team is very responsive and always available to help, this is something I like the most. Marketo's simple and easy user interface is amazing and very easy to use.

MD Masoom R.

Here are a few cons which shouldn’t be ignored. Reporting of Analytics of Marketo is very bad and in addiction smart list designs are not flexible and it is very difficult to design them.

PR

Praveen R.

With customization that is available, it is possible to get a bit lost in the hugeness that is Marketo. Lastly, there are no customizable reporting options which can make things hard.

Dylan C.

Not much return on investment here; very basic functionality, and problems with our website getting clocked as spam form our target cusotmers.

LB

Act-On-logocaret

Act-On

Mailchimp-logocaret

Mailchimp

How would you rate Marketo Engage?

Ramin S.

Senior Partner Marketing Specialist

Industrial Automation, 5,001-10,000 employees

Marketo Marketing Automation Review

Transcript

Ramin S.: Hi, my name is Ramin. I'm an enterprise marketing manager, and I give Marketo Engage a four...

Great marketing automation software that can integrate with anything

Transcript

Dylan C.: My name is Dylan. I'm a Demand Gen Manager, and I rate Marketo Engage a four out of five. For...

Most powerful and usable marketing automation solution

I've used Marketo and the other two large marketing automation tools over the last 7 years. All the platforms are valuable, but where Marketo really stands above the rest is in its rich feature sets and ease-of-use. It also has a fabulous user community, the best that I've seen of any software solution. The very active and helpful user community even rivals that of Salesforce CRM, and S CRM has a LOT more users in their community. I do a fair amount of side consulting, and whenever I'm making recommendations for marketing automation software I first recommend Marketo.

Pros

1. Super feature rich. 2. Very scalable - I can clone and launch new programs, webinars, nurturing drip campaigns, etc. very quickly. 3. Best user community around.

Cons

While the user community is an excellent resource for finding solutions to problems you may run into, I don't feel like their support is as fabulous as the rest of the solution. While support is good, it's not amazing - and amazing is something I've come to expect from Marketo.

Marketing Automation Manager

I have use Marketo for just about 4 years. I have found success in implementing new strategies through Marketo and increasing MQLs, SQLs, and customers because of it. Marketo will definitely be able to adapt to a dynamic company.

Pros

Marketo is easy to use and can be as custom and complicated as you need it to be. They have an extensive community that gives endless advice and will answer any questions you have. It is perfect for any sized company that is looking to grow and optimize their marketing operations.

Cons

I would like to see a little more from the analytics and SEO, but I believe the new UI will be enhancing these areas of the product.

Marketo is great, but you need the manpower

Pros

I love how powerful Marketo is! If you have the time and manpower to run creative, thoughtful campaigns and automation, you'll be a marketing rockstar and your sales team will be closing leads all day! The Salesforce sync is fantastic, as well as additional plugins and integrations that you couldn't even dream up yourself. Seems like they've thought of everything.

Cons

It requires quite a bit of manpower and effort to be able to use Marketo to its fullest potential. A small marketing team could struggle with new ideas, troubleshooting, and having the time to fully analyze the product's ROI.

Streamlining - A targeted, process oriented approach for multi-channel marketing automation

It's as much a powerful resource for sales as it is for marketing in an integrative approach so I'd involve key stakeholders from sales in evaluating. The online demos are worth reviewing.

Pros

In today's fast paced, multi-channel environment where the abundance of information people receive in any given day exceeds the ability to process it all, I can't imagine running any kind of digital business without marketing automation. Marketo's offering is intuitive, integrates well with another cloud-based email, CRM, social, etc and has inherent capabilities to leverage best processes throughout an entire marketing/ sales lifecycle. I have only demo'd the product, used as a user, and been trained on, but have evaluated for a start-up where I would consider it essential for those embarking on digital campaigns to drive multi-channel sales.

Cons

I have not been involved in a full implementation, roll-out, and integration as a purchaser (only in business development), so I can't speak to that or any long term outcomes from initiatives, although the value is quite clear.

Great at automation, good community support, needs a better email and landing page builder

Pros

For email automation, Marketo is a very robust platform. For creating engagement programs and smart campaigns, I have never had any limitations from Marketo. If it can't be done via the GUI, you can script it using Velocity. The Marketo community is very helpful and you can typically get answers for almost anything there.

Cons

The landing page and email builder needs to be better. I find myself spending a lot of time in html even when I use the packaged templates for emails. A true drag and drop email editor would make building emails much easier.

Easy to use but often frustrating and not dependable

Pretty decent CRM software with a few time wasting features. I'd like to see more product updates.

Pros

I've been using Marketo for 5+ years now. It's really easy to navigate, manage leads, create campaigns, and get basic reporting.

Cons

it can sometimes take upwards of an hour for the system to process leads and send an email to a larger sized list. Email reporting could be better. There have been several outages in the last year where everyone was unable to login to the system, all site forms were down, and anyone with emails scheduled to go out during the outage were pretty much helpless.

Does it all!

Increased demand generation and marketing-driven pipe.

Pros

The interface is really easy to use. It also can accomplish A LOT - nurture, email, lead scoring, landing page and form creation, reporting. This is a great one-stop-shop when you're getting into marketing automation.

Cons

Our database made the program slow. Most of the time I felt like I was working faster than the application. Additionally, it's a REALLY powerful tool, which can be overlooked with the ease of use. Make sure that whoever is in the system has the correct permissions and is properly trained.

Can't say enough good things!

I got time back. This software made my job so much easier and I could spend more time focusing on other aspects of my role.

Pros

The easy of use. The platform is easy to navigate and you can send out beautiful emails whether you have no coding knowledge or you're a pro. With several templates to choose from there is certainly something for everyone. The community of users they have built is also quite impressive. Not only does customer support respond expectionally fast, but there is always someone in community to help with troubleshooting.

Cons

I wish it was easier to modify templates without the need to dive into the HTML. If there was a base of modules that you could select, drag and drop in, that would be truly amazing.

Flexible, powerful tool for demand gen.

Pros

I have used Marketo for the past 7 years and I have always found it flexible enough to do what I needed it to. It has strong integrations with most leading marketing apps and is pretty easy to use. For simple marketing automation tasks (lead scoring, lead routing, nurture sequences, etc.) it's worked great.

Cons

Because the tool is pretty flexible, sometimes there are almost too many ways to configure and set-up programs. The email/landing page tool is starting to feel a bit dated and at times it can be a bit slow to search/query.

Higher Sales Conversion with Marketo

Pros

When we started using Marketo for our Marketing Automation, there was an increase of opportunities with our leads. We were able to trim down and focus on the right market and were able to convert leads to sales by 10% on the first month we used Marketo. It is easy to use and templates are good. We receive daily update and marketing news on the latest trend and tools for marketing. Digital marketing is new and Marketo is complete with the right tools and guide on how to effectively tap your market and generate leads through social media.

Cons

Everything in Marketo is amazing. They have tips and guides for their products. Though ofcourse the price is costly compared to other email automation or newsletter creation that can be accessed or used at no cost. Free trial would be something i should also recommend for Marketo.

Helping us scale up our marketing

Pros

With an easy to use interface, and a great onboarding program, we were able to get up and running with Marketo pretty quickly. It only took about 6 weeks before we were ready to run our first campaign, which completely changed how we followed up with event leads. It has a great integration with Salesforce. Setting up web forms, landing pages, nurturing streams, and managing data is all really easy. Marketo's community and resources are also a huge plus.

Cons

We only have the Spark package, so there's a lot to be desired with analytics and some of the other features we're missing out on.

This reviewer only left a rating

I can't express how much easier Marketo makes my life. I am the events manager at my company, and I use Marketo's lead management functionality to send out my invitations, set up my registration pages and manage my attendee lists. Marketo was great before - but now, with the new Programs & Events release, it is AMAZING! We have a small marketing department, so I am responsible for every aspect...

Perfectly integrated with Salesforce to

Saves time on emailing potential leads by setting up multiple flow chart paths that leads can go down, i recommend Marketo for large organisation or sales teams with huge databases of leads that are low percentage in terms of converting.

Pros

Used Marketo as a plugin for Salesforce for our sales and "freemium" service. All potential leads were setup on multiple different email campaigns where we can view stats on whether they have read the emails and clicked or not. We also used Marketo to sign off on contracts by attaching T&Cs to one of the templates and having a button integration where they could signup or request more info. Marketo enables you to basically setup multiple funnel charts for emails, depending on the recipients chooses in what they open and click. Makes contact easy when you have thousands of potential leads to followup with.

Cons

No cons, Marketo is way ahead of the curve and when i started using it a few years ago there was no other competitor that had the same functionality in my point of view.

Marketo helps us keep our customer's email preferences updated

The most important benefit of using Marketo is that we keep all of our users in one place and that helps all of our teammates to work in an organized way and avoid wasting time.

Pros

Marketo has helped our entire team to keep all our subscribers in one place and it's very easy to manage the customer's email preferences just with a click. Marketo is one of the easiest tools we've used to keep track of our distribution centers, and we definitely save a lot of time just by searching a customer's name or email address.

Cons

Marketo is sometimes too slow when downloading a list of subscribers. Since Marketo keeps around 10,000 of our user,s it's acceptable that sometimes it becomes kind of slow.

Makes my day to day as a sales ops professional easier

As someone who works in sales operations, I was always intrigued with what happens to a lead outside of the normal sales cycle. I was able to get approval for training for Marketo and with my knowledge in Salesforce (admin certified), bridging the gap between both systems have been a game changer for our organization. I have really been able to take advantage of how a lead is marketed and nurtured...

Pros

The Marketo widget in Salesforce is great. It lets a seller know exactly what pages they visited on your website, which emails they opened, what they've downloaded, including dates and timestamps. This REALLY helps a seller prepare for an initial call and sets them up for success. Marketo's integration with Salesforce is great and because I was already Salesforce certified, it was pretty easy for me to learn Marketo.

Cons

It can be a bit slow to do some stuff in Marketo, it's not as fast as Salesforce.

Easy to use marketing automation - not the most powerful

It’s easy to use, and if you have pretty straightforward automation needs, it will get the job done.

Pros

Marketo is really easy to use. The basic structure of the system is quite easy to grasp because it’s simple. The UI is also very navigable which makes it quick and easy to make your way around the system.

Cons

I don’t feel that Marketo is the most powerful marketing automation system out there. If you need super granular targeting or advanced actions, this may not be the system for you.

One of the best Marketing Automation Tool!

Overall Marketo is one stop for all the digital marketing activities, database, and analytics. I simply love it!

Pros

Easy to use, One solution for all the marketing leads, nurturing campaigns, pulling different reports, and ROI calculation. Integration with different tools like salesforce etc., makes it even easier for the marketing activities.

Cons

Sometimes it gets trickier to create programs and a smart list. Too many filter options might be confusing.

Easiest, most complete marketing automation platform I've used

Pros

You can do almost anything you want. You can easily do the basics or you can build very intricate fine-tuned campaigns to support all your needs. Other platforms may be easier to do smaller things, but can't scale the way Marketo can. Content recommendation per unique user is changing the game of integrating with websites.

Cons

Reporting and analytics can sometimes be a bear -- but they've made strides to improve this already, and more to come.

A solution that continuously adding value to their offering

Pros

In addition to their technology offering, Marketo has amazing community and support team. The solution is flexible enough to enable the marketeers to adopt the solution to their needs.

Cons

They are going thru some growing pains which resulted in some performance issues. The main issue I have experience was around the upgrade they are doing to the backend processing which resulted in inconsistent performance between their smart lists and campaigns.

Marketo is recommended for lead generation

Improved my lead nurturing activities. I no longer use spreadsheets to track leads. Marketo nicely logs all activities.

Pros

Marketo is a complex lead generation software but if configured correctly it can do magic and automate your marketing like no other. Since using Marketo we experienced increase in sales revenues and 50% increase in lead conversion. Marketo also nicely integrates with Salesforce and you can see where your leads are in their lifecycle.

Cons

There is a learning curve to it. Also getting certified in Marketo has more complex than before. Lead nurturing, streams, and center of excellence can be hard to set up.

A solid tool with a lot of functionality and good direction

Pros

Marketo has a lot of companies that partner with them. They are a great company for Enterprise businesses.

Cons

All Marketing Automation tools are growing and have their own pros and cons. Marketo doesn't really have the whole Social tie in piece like Hubspot does, but it is able to tie into many via API. There are also some latency issues on the data processing side that gives us issues when we're bulk updating records or sending a large amount of emails.

If you're looking for a Marketing Automation Platform - you must consider Marketo

Pros

Very easy to use interface and very flexible and easy to scale whether you have a small or a large business to support. Lots of help available from Marketo and also via their extensive community section. I've made lots of friends and learnt lots of things from other users - even competitors.

Cons

Some area's need improvement including Reporting and Analytics but you can get the information you need with a bit of digging.

Marketo- streamline, automate, and align sales and marketing efforts with demand-generation

Pros

Allows the seamless integration of sales and marketing processes from campaign strategy, creation of demand generated marketing campaigns, leads, and the entire sales process. It takes a more strategic approach to targeting prospects with better precision, overall internal organizational alignment, and integrated processes. It allows internal teams to collaborate more effectively, reduces time spent on more administrative task by automating the burdensome up-front tasks, and allows sales and marketing to focus on more strategic objectives - higher quality interactions with the customers, partners, etc. I can't imagine sales/marketing organizations today not leveraging demand-generation and the kinds of SaaS automation that Marketo offers.

Cons

Working with the solution in an existing organization and in demo for a start-up, we have never actually deployed it, so I can't speak to ease of integration. Not a con - just of note.

Not beautiful, but necessary

I used Marketo as a lead generation manager at the first startup (15 person company) I worked at. I was the primary tool evaluator, and chose it over Pardot and Hubspot, because our focus was on outbound emailing (Hubspot is not) and we needed a high level of customizability/flexibility (2 years ago I found that Pardot was not flexible enough). Marketo has its own language and way of doing things....

Pros

Super flexible in what you can accomplish

Cons

Clunky, un-intuitive

Fantastic product that gets the job done

Pros

Marketo is a very easy to use platform. With no prior marketing automation experience, I was able to master the functionality of the product by reading the documentation and reaching out to the members of the Marketo community. The level of customization you can build into Marketo allows me to scale the marketing efforts of our team from a systems standpoint, whether it be workflows (smart campaigns), building email and landing page assets, or integrating with other Launchpoint vendors or the Marketo API, I am able to use Marketo to implement scalable solutions to my company's automation needs.

Cons

The integration with SFDC Custom Objects is great, but not complete in my opinion. For companies that use a lot of Salesforce custom objects and want to utilize the data on those objects for marketing campaigns, expect to need some assistance if you aren't a developer. The Analytics section of Marketo (not speaking to RCE here) is very much "out of the box" reporting that doesn't allow for too much customization. Typically, I have to pull reports into Excel for further analysis. This is why it's extremely important for first-time Marketo customers to set up a proper naming convention to make reporting a bit easier in Marketo and for circumstances when you need to pull data into Excel.