TriNet Logo

Suggested alternatives

dayforce-hcm
bamboohr
rippling

I love that TriNet just takes care of everything for you, they really are a full featured offering that has everything you need for HR/Payroll and benefits.
Overall we're very satisfied with TriNet - from the benefits offered to the functionality of the portal and the webinars provided to educate our staff on best practices.
They refused to confirm my employment via phone because it was against their policy.

Calvin C.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

One stop shop for most things HR

Highly positive. There is some variability when it comes to customer service, some reps are either new or not as good as others, and some TriNet people are outstanding beyond belief.

Pros

The sheer variety of options and capabilities is excellent. Very good insurance options offered throughout the country.

Cons

Trinet tends to offer large company benefits, which is great, however, some of the competing providers are offering more tailored benefits typically seen in startup companies. It's only a minor issue.

Phil P.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Great PEO and outsourced HR solution for small businesses

Overall, we've had a good experience with TriNet. The "outsourced HR" platform TriNet offers is the right decision for our small business so we don't have to invest in internal HR personnel.

Pros

TriNet helps us manage payroll, talent acquisition and retention, support for our employees, access to "big company" benefits and helps our management team with proactive risk mitigation and data compliance.

Cons

TriNet is expensive and the support we received for our company 401(k) plan was not good.

JS

Josh S.

Computer Software, self-employed

Trinet is a scam

Trinet is a scam. They have very non-transparent pricing. With all of their reports, it is next to impossible to understand what you are paying. It turns out they are ripping off their customers. My monthly service fee has more than doubled in 3 years from $500 per month to $1100 per month. My worker's compensation has increased to $1400 per month per employee when the maximum payout is $1099...

Pros

Over five years ago, Trinet used to save me money on health insurance and time on payroll. Now it provides lousy service at insanely high prices.

TS

Tom S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Annual price increases of over 10%. Hidden charges

Will not use again. Shopping for a new provider

Pros

Product is a commodity so I don’t think they do anything better than anyone else.

Cons

Hidden charges. Exorbitant annual increases.

SG

Sally G.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Product is not bad; customer service is pretty bad

Overall, TriNet is a pretty good product, and it really takes the burden off a small startup employer who wants to attract and retain talent with high-level benefits plans. It's great that the payroll runs automatically unless there are changes, and the employee self-service registration works well. Customer service is definitely their weakness, and they have a lot of room for improvement there.

Pros

I like the interface for the product; from an administrator's perspective it's fairly easy to use with no training. The payroll invoice and payroll register are very clear and easy to use. I love that once you enter an employee's basic information, the employee logs into the portal and registers for benefits, etc.; so the administrator's work is lightened extensively. The product is really good for small startups who otherwise would not have a lot of resources for HR, Onboarding, Payroll, nor access to large-group benefits plans at large-group rates.

Cons

I think the reporting functionality lacks a lot of basic reports. I do not like how the I-9 process works. I like that there is online chat for support; however, it's not always effective at solving my problem or answering my question, and the support representatives frequently seem irritated to answer questions, etc.

RM

Rachel M.

Biotechnology, 51-200 employees

TriNet is definitely worth the price!

Pros

I like that it is a one stop shop for all HR services including ATS, payroll, benefits enrollment, performance management and employee onboarding.

Cons

At times, customer support wasn't the quickest or the most detailed in their responses but other than that i have enjoyed the TriNet experience.

ac

amanda c.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Good but has issues

Pros

I like their support the most. They are actually very helpful all the time (even though the chat box will kick you out if you don't respond in 30 seconds) and the platform is easy enough to navigate. We've received help with any issue that came up pretty promptly.

Cons

There have been a number of issues we've experienced with Trinet, mostly around employees going on leaves of absence. It's pretty hit or miss.

Beno A.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 501-1,000 employees

Amazing solution but not as good as ADP

The overall experience has been good, but when comparing to using ADP, ADP takes the cake by a mile.

Pros

The best part about Tri Net is customer support. They have the best customer service representatives that are not only knowledgeable but super friendly. The solution itself is easy to use, but the app interface can be better. The app interface needs some work, they don't even come close to ADP, but still, get the job done.

Cons

I don't like their app or online interface. It is not user-friendly and you have to really look at where you are clicking or you have to start all over again from the main hub.

CP

Chris P.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Disappointed in Changes

I used to really like TriNet and the personal service they delivered. However, they have changed their customer service model, and we are not happy with the changes they have made.

Pros

I really liked the personal service TriNet used to provide. However, they have changed their Customer Service model to more of a call center instead of having two people assigned to each client.

Cons

I really do not like the new Connect 360 they have recently adopted. I also find working with their reporting module somewhat challenging

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

A good tool for HR designed for small companies

Pros

Easy to use, you can access all your HR documents in a few clicks.

Cons

The PTO tab is a bit hard to understand, it could be improved.

KB

Kimberly B.

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

I am paying how much per person for what?

This is not for you if you want things done right and easy! I have used sooo many different HRIS and payroll systems and this hands down was the worst I have ever experienced!It's better to pay more for insurance and get better plans, and then use Bamboohr or similar for $12 a person (payroll, onboarding, offboarding time management, pto and benefits, performance management all included) you end up with better plans and save money.

Pros

Insurance pricing is good. That is all I can say good.

Cons

Insurance plans are not good, time tracking is separate from system and does not integrate well. PTO tracking is very confusing. Customer service is awful. I have spent 1.5 weeks trying to get our PTO corrected, they do not know the laws in your state, you pay 116$ per person per month, and you have to keep them in check because they do not make sure you are compliant. Payroll is harder than it needs to be. There was a glitch in there system and one of my employee's got paid $0 for 80 hours. Not acceptable. I let them know of the issue, and was promised they could correct and get employee paid on time, That did not happen and I had to talk to 7 different people to get it corrected. So many issues!

SM

Sandra M.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Worst PEO_ Run!

Worst experience of my life, almost could not get the 1st payroll done with them due to glitches, sales people ignore you once they sell the product (selling a product they did not have, this system does NOT job cost)

Pros

The people who work at this company are nice, but the systems they make you use are terrible. They changed the format, sent out two new beta versions, made us the guinea pigs. The programmers create reports that are useless, was told initially they could job cost, they cannot. They lied.

Cons

Everything, not user friendly, terrible reports, very time consuming to enter payroll as you have to use the mouse and keypad. TSheets had to create a custom report for TriNet (their programmers did not know how) to upload hours from TSheets to TriNet, TSheets had to do this FOR TriNet....

Andy A.

Internet, 11-50 employees

Quite possibly the worst company we work with

My experience has been horrendous. I don't have enough time to list them all but here are the highlights: (1) They have made several serious mistakes in payroll that caused my and my team countless lost hours. (2) They no longer have a personal rep who knows your account, you now have to go through "Connect 360." I was just in a chat session and the rep said "hold on, while I research your issue"...

Pros

I have found nothing that I like about TriNet.

Cons

When I was "sold" on using TriNet I wasn't told that their technology was some of the worst I had seen. They did upgrade some of the web software but there are still places where you click and find yourself in the old horrible software that is klunky and difficult to use.

Hi Alan, we received your message and confirmed that a member of our team has reached out to you.

AK

Alex K.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Love This Platform!

Pros

Tri-net makes it easy to get any information related to my benefits with my employer at anytime. They even have a mobile app so I can get info. on the go.

Cons

There are no drawback that I encountered in my 7 years using this software. Any time I had an issue, Tri-Net came out with a fix.

GT

Garret T.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Expensive for the Lack of Service

Pros

I like the concept of a PEO, especially for our company that has employees in several states.

Cons

The support team is less than helpful. Questions receive links to knowledge base instead of having a personal relationship with anyone at TriNet. Upon a termination of an employee we were given bad instructions which cost us $1400 in exit costs. The fees to process are expensive compared to Gusto or other similar providers. The technology platform to understand the different health options is not great. Not intuitive and no one available to help you decipher any of the information. Save yourself a headache and a pile of cash by using a different PEO.

Media Production, 11-50 employees

Very User Friendly

Pros

TriNet is incredibly helpful for viewing and downloading my bi-weekly paychecks, accessing my retirement plan portal, submitting expense reports, viewing my health benefits, and tracking time off all in one place. I especially appreciate the "Estimate Balance" feature on the Time Off page, which allows you to view the exact date at which you will hit your earned PTO cap. This has enabled me to always make sure I take off time before I hit my cap, and avoid losing out on well-earned PTO. The TriNet mobile app also gives you access to most, if not all, of the same features that the web browser version offers, so you can check any work-related details you might need to on the go.

Cons

There is honestly nothing I dislike about TriNet. Our company had no cohesive, one stop shop for all of the services TriNet provides until we switched to TriNet, so it solved all of our problems with one software.

AB

Anthony B.

Information Services, 51-200 employees

Used other for less than 6 months

Had high expectations from the sale and they completely failed to deliver

Horrible Lack of integration capabilities manual process lack of automation

Pros

The fact that they would handle payroll tax filings and the ability to help offer diverse benefits

Cons

Their team does not back up what their sales people pitch at all what so ever!

JT

Jared T.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

TriNet as a Professional Employment Organization

TriNet is ideal if you have a small business that cannot get a good small company health insurance quote (usually less than 10 employees). However, once you get over the minimum threshold to compete in the insurance market, then TriNet is of little value.

Pros

TriNet is easy to use and provides all you need from a payroll, benefit and HR perspective.

Cons

The overall cost is high and the health insurance benefits are low to average quality, with fairly high deductibles and poor coverage.

BT

Bonnie T.

Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

Excellent for Outsourcing

Pros

I really liked that the implementation was extremely easy. Everyone was very helpful and the sales team stayed in contact to make sure everything was done correctly

Cons

This is was an expensive tool. We were utilizing it to cut the cost of our healthcare which is did help with but I couldn't imagine pitching the added cost to a company that didn't have that problem.

MD

Margaret D.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Benefit selection for Small companies is excellent

Other than the excellent benefit selection, i dont love it.

Pros

Benefit selection for Small companies is excellent - variety and pricing. Our increase in rates over the past 2 years has been only about 5% per year.

Cons

The platform is limiting and nothing can be done retroactively. But more importantly, the customer support is very difficult. Its tough to get to the right person, sometimes it takes up to 3 days to get a response, and the quality of the CS in frankly, not good. I assume that is because they, like everyone else, have a staffing shortage.

JD

Juliette D.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Smoke and mirros

Don't waste your time.

Pros

Their front end is built to copy market leaders like Justworks, meanwhile the backend is a legacy behemoth.

Cons

Major bugs and engineering issues - don't let them tell you otherwise.

CW

Chris W.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Full featured suite for payroll and employee management

Its was comparatively easy to setup and once its all up and running it's really easy to manage moving forward.

Pros

Cons

It's a little cumbersome to use, their integrations are very obviously just tacked on as an afterthought.

UK

Usman K.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201-500 employees

Everything in one place

Overall I was happy with Trinet. The main thing was that everything was accessible through the single dashboard which makes all the difference.

Pros

I liked that all employee benefits were under the trinet system. I have used other systems where health stuff may be viewed from one dashboard but let's say you want to look at your commuter benefits, that may be in another system from some other company. Trinet had everything under a single website/dashboard and I only needed to remember that one login.

Cons

The UI could be made better. It definitely has aa learning curve and seems very corporate and slow. It also reminds you a lot of HR.

LG

Lynn G.

Telecommunications, 1-10 employees

Valuable HR & Payroll Partner

Pros

Communication has been superb. TriNet has created a modern platform that helps us get answers quickly both for admins and the employees. The portal is easy to use and functionality meets our needs.

Cons

Cost is a little high - they are not a low cost provider but the service has been great.

Celexsy A.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Best HR platform I've had

I have had a wonderful experience with TriNet as an employee. Having worked for small to extremely large organizations, I have to say I wish more large organizations used it.

Pros

I signed on with a new company and they were proud to say they used Trinet. I didn't think much of it, but once I started using it, not only was it super user friendly, but the real people behind chat are EXTREMELY competent and easy to work with. I have used the chat function many times to address issues and always had them resolved on the first try.

Cons

No real cons. Everything is easy to use and very simple. I don't like that I couldn't find some of the benefits information easily - like pricing when you go to sign up is not published anywhere until you go through the sign up process.