PEX Logo
PEX

Expense management for controlling employee spending

visit website

PEX Reviews

4.9

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.4/10

Reviews by rating

The overall PEX experience has been great. I would recommend this software to anyone needing a simple way to distribute money to employees who need to purchase items for the business.
I have had great experience with PEX. It is easy to use and easy to put money onto it.
When there is fraudulent activity you don't receive the funds back until the case is investigated and decided in your favor.
The only CON is the delay in funding the account. You really have to plan ahead do account for the 4 day delay.
Pex took the risk out of our company spending and simplified our finance processes.

Stephen P.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Completely revolutionized the way we track spending on film productions

Pros

In the past we used 3" Binders, Paper, tape and Excel to track every expense on our 30+ projects a year. End Users hated the antiquated process, so did our Supervisors and we were running out of valuable space to store/find binders. Enter PEX which captures expense data automatically and has mobile photo uploads of receipts, completely revolutionizing our process.

Cons

Some vendors/film crew do not have the ability to accept credit/debit cards/online payment processors and instead prefer check or cash. Adding the ability to cut/mail checks like a standard Bill Pay offered by most major banks or ability to withdraw cash at an ATM would help keep all expense tracking under one platform!

MD

Mark D.

Renewables & Environment, 51-200 employees

PEX Cards: Simplifying your Employee Purchases

Excellent. Setup, support and adding users is a breeze.

Pros

It is simple to use and saves so much accounting time to track employee purchases. We used to spend days collecting receipts, figuring out who made the purchases and which GL Account they should hit. Plus we had tons of digital copies of receipts all over the place taking up valuable space on our drives.

Cons

I can't think of anything that we didn't like

CS

Cody S.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

We love PEX

Spend management, audit trails, and reporting are critical to our accounting functions. We have control of all 3 with PEX and it is so easy to use.

Pros

PEX is great for our business. We issue hundreds of cards and are able to easily control and manage each card with only 1 person at the helm. The reporting is fantastic and easy to use.

Cons

We really have no cons with PEX. The only complaint we have is that it is not yet compatible with our accounting software. But they do have connectivity to many softwares, so I would put the blame on us for using older software.X!

HI

Howard I.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Does the job

Seems very worthwhile so far.

Pros

I like the new vendor card function. There are a few issues but this is a developing product that we have started to embrace.

Cons

Difficulty setting up some vendor accounts

PB

Paul B.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Great cash management tool

Anytime I've had to work with a customer service rep I've got my problem resolved. Love the software and the service

Pros

I love how easy it is to use for both my users and my administrators. It's been very easy to manage each card separately without having to call in and wait on somdone to do it for me. What used to take a lot of time now can get done in seconds.

Cons

The cards are magnetic stripe cards. not sure if new users are getting the chips or not but that would be a great upgrade.

Thanks for your review, Paul. We will be rolling out chip cards in 2019. Stay tuned!

JN

Jennifer N.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

PEX is a great alternative to reimbursement checks for regular volunteers

Having a PEX account has allowed key ministry volunteers to have a set amount of funds to use toward their ministry needs without the need for reimbursement checks or handing out too many credit cards. I would caution that recordkeeping is easiest when an individual only needs to use the card for a single expense account area.

Pros

PEX is very intuitive to set up and use. It is easy to navigate the process of requesting a card for a new user, initiating a transfer, funding individual cards, and closing accounts. Receipts can be easily uploaded on the app by the cardholders so they don't have to turn in physical receipts for recordkeeping purposes.

Cons

I wish transfers didn't take four business days to complete. Regular transfers are free, but it would be nice to have an Instant Transfer option even if there were a small fee involved for times when a last minute need arrises.

SN

SUZY N.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Great Debt Free Resource

Pros

We love PEX because we can fund employee company spending debt free. We can control how much each employee is allowed to spend, on what and where. Customer service is fantastic and very responsive.

Cons

Thanks for reviewing, Suzy. PEX offers a Same-Day ACH transfer option, and we are checking to find out if your account qualifies based on your bank. This is a faster transfer option which takes as little as a few hours within the same business day. Glad we could help your event business run smoothly!

KK

Katie K.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Keeps our Costs down, and our Crews Funded!

Pros

With 9 Crews on the road PEX is the lifesaver that keeps them funded for daily job needs, but keep our costs in check. With Daily Spend rules and limits, we can control how much is being spent each day. One less thing to worry about during the day to day grind! Very easy to set up and use. Crews use it just like a credit card.

Cons

Takes 1-2 weeks to get new cards. No issues other than that.

JR

Jeanette R.

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Recommend PEX Cards for Ease of User

Pros

PEX Card is easy to use and reconcile receipts. Fast processing for card funding. Complete expense control through set up, restrict certain purchases by users.

Cons

Sometimes it takes longer than anticipated for a new card to be received in the mail. Had to order multiple cards before because cards were not being received.

KC

Kathy C.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Pex is easy to get started and implement

Pros

Very easy implementation was a PLUS. Card ordering and shipping process was smooth and intuitive via the PEX portal.

Cons

Integration into our contingency management solution was straighforward

CB

Cathryn B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

One of the best decisions we made

This has helped us track our spending and actually get our receipts. Something we struggled with for years.

Pros

Can Instantly add money to a card, or remove it. Can determine where the money can be spent.

Cons

Thanks for your review. So glad PEX could help your organization grow more streamlined and simplified, Cathryn!

CC

Candace C.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

PEX is amazing!!

The overall PEX experience has been great!! I would recommend this software to anyone needing a simple way to distribute money to employees who need to purchase items for the business.

Pros

PEX is great for companies, churches, groups etc that have multiple people who spend money. I use this for our church and it is so easy to transfer money between cards and as long as you have the money in the PEX account you can transfer the money for your people and they have it immediately! It is also nice to have so many people drawing from the same account and they get to upload their receipts so no messing around with turning them in paper version!

Cons

The only thing I don't like is how many days it takes for money to transfer from the bank to the PEX card account. I understand it's probably just like when using a debit card and it doesn't always show up right away.

SF

Stephanie F.

Security and Investigations, 51-200 employees

Great Access to Cash

We have employees located outside of our headquarters who have quick access to make purchases for items that require immediate payment.

Pros

Easy cash access for purchases with low liability by only funded what is needed.

Cons

We have had an issue lately with fraudulent charges, but that can happen with any credit card.

SC

Steve C.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

The flexibility it gives me as the account manager to painlessly manage my team while empowering them to lead their departments.

Pros

It's so easy to manage the whole team's finances. I love that I'm not having to micromanage every single purchase but can easily see all the purchases that were made by each employee and manage limits and overall budget.

Cons

I honestly can't think of many. This has been very helpful software for our team and has even enabled us to empower our volunteers and give them cards as well.

AK

April K.

PEX for the Win!

I highly recommend PEX to anyone who is looking for ways to simplify their employees per diem usage.

Pros

Its fast, easy, and convenient . Customer Service is awesome!

Cons

We have been using PEX for 2 years, and have had zero issues. No cons for me to report!

DD

Dawn D.

Efficient

We use PEX as per diem cards for traveling employees. It is very convenient when a sudden trip comes up & we can load the card from anywhere.

Pros

Very easy to manage. Not complicated at all.

Cons

I honestly can't think of a negative issue that we've had to deal with.

JP

Jason P.

Facilities Services, 51-200 employees

I use the software in my current role

Being able to have all the transactions with detail information.

Pros

I like that the software is easy to work with and its able to provide detail information on all transactions.

Cons

I would love to be able to print the receipts that I uploaded to the system. That would make it so much easier to just print them out when its time for a report instead of keeping track of them individually for extended periods of time.

Hi Jason, thanks for your review! Just wanted to let you know that we¿ll be working on an enhancement for that exact use case in the next few months.

Kelly W.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Pros

I use this to manage my prepaid PEx card when I work promotional modeling gigs. I will buy products with my PEX card and have to enter the info of what I purchased within the app.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about this software.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Perfect product for our department heads

Pros

Ease of use, multiple cards, easy transfers

Cons

I wish there was an auto-reload option that would allow a predetermined amount to be transfered from the bank to a card on a certain date.

Thank you for your review!

SC

Steve C.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Using PEX with Aplos for Church Accounting

After a month of use, moving card holders from credit cards to PEX cards, has been extremely well accepted by card holders.

Pros

1 - As Treasurer, I now reconcile 1 PEX account instead of 4 credit card accounts.2 - I can confirm correct Fund account (non-profit using Fund Accounting) as expenses are incurred and approved.

Cons

The difference between card Activation and card Registration for new card holders could be made clearer to this Administrator.

Thank you for your review Steve! We are pleased that you've had a positive experience with PEX so far. We look forward to continuing to work with you and your organization in the future.

Dusti K.

Broadcast Media, 501-1,000 employees

Great Product!

We use PEX for purchasing product needed at our events. All event staff has a PEX card that is loaded before their event and allows them to purchase the product needed without having to front any of their own money and wait for reimbursement. This is especially helpful and also makes it easy to track.

Pros

I really like this system and how easy it is to use. The app is very user friendly. You can easily add receipts to your transactions and all of the information is loaded automatically. It also updates instantly. It really is a timesaver not having to do elaborate expense reports.

Cons

Not much bad to say about this. At first, I did have a little difficulty figuring out the right place to add my receipts, as it seemed there was more than one location, but I have sense then figured it out.

LW

Lesa W.

Food & Beverages, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Great product

Pros

This card is easy to use and can be used in any store. Great product

Cons

There has been one store I cannot use the card as a credit, I have to use it as debit. The rest of the stores I can use it as credit.

Thanks for your review Lesa! We hope the simplicity of the PEX platform helps you to organize and grow your business.

SS

Samir S.

Awesome solution to managing your company's employee's expenses

As a startup, we had to find a solution to control our contractor's expenses using our company's funds. At first, we had to trust our few starting contractors to use our company funds. But then when we grew, we needed control and most importantly reporting and analysis. As it was something relating to our company funds. Pex card was the solution to this problem. They're easy to use simple dashboard tells you everything.

Thanks for reviewing.

KD

Knalidi D.

Food Production, 501-1,000 employees

HR Generalist/Recruiter

Pros

It's a decent product. Mostly intuitive.

Cons

Have to call customer service to order new cards

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

PEX Review

It's so easy to use. I am out buying supplies, I snap a pic of the receipt, upload it to PEX, code it to the right budget, and voila!

Pros

The ease of uploading a receipt and image as well as coding it. So easy!

Cons

I have seen a purchase not go through on the app.