Autotask Reviews

Autotask

IT Business Management Software Platform

Autotask

Review Summary

Pros

Great tool for tickets and helpdesk, but need to have better support. There were things that could have been resolved if support payed attention to the issues presented.

Sam L.

Katie K.

Great user interface and the functionality of this software is superior.

Cons

It has most of the functionality I need, but it is just frustrating to use. The UI changes enough every release to make it hard to keep up.

Amanda D.

It was not what we needed - it was difficult for us to customize and I had to do a lot of manual work manipulating data in the system.

4.3

We use it daily and couldn't live without it!

We run our entire business out of Autotask. It does everything for us as an MSP.

Pros

Autotask is about automation. It makes ticketing and billing processes standardized and automated. It has become our central repository for information. All service related issues, time spent, contracts, hardware, etc goes in there. I tell my team all the time, "If it doesn't exist in Autotask, it didn't happen."

Cons

Autotask support has historically been difficult, but is getting much better. Reporting is very powerful, but also VERY difficult to get your arms wrapped around it. It isn't something you do on a whim. If you have time to spend with it, you'll get good data. If you don't have time to spend, make sure you pay for some Autotask consulting time to help you.

Great for Large Teams

Overall I enjoyed using the Autotask PSA for most things, but it was not a good fit for the team I was working with.

Pros

Autotask PSA is a great option for large teams. It is fully customizable, offers a wide array of features, and has an excellent, hands-on onboarding process. It is a great option for large teams.

Cons

This software required quite a bit of manual set up for tasks I needed -- things such as automatically sending emails to clients on ticket updates, changing fields from required to not required, etc. For a very small team, onboarding was a bit onerous.

It's a leading PSA that needs work

Pros

The integration of multiple components (sales, ticketing, RMM, leads, quotes) is nice to have and is ideal in today's world where managed services providers need all innone solutions

Cons

Every feature unfortunately seems half baked. Some examples of this are: There is no direct integration with quoting resellers like Ingram to get sales data (unless you buy a 3P module such as QuoteWerks), deleting tickets is a colossal nightmare which can't be done via their API. Their APIs in general are fairly poor as they don't let you do basic functions such as deleting configurations or tickets, setting a ticket creator or setting the name of the person that is doing a note or comment (these features are only available via their email gateway or through the portal itself. There is no ability to truly lock down a user account, help desk users are able to pull reports of other members utilization and work being performed even if they are not queue owners.

Good Software... Need Help to understand it

The integration with Datto RMM is a plus. They work hand in hand. I am able to track my clients and time I spend doing tasks down to the minute.

Pros

This software has been great. It took me a while to get the hang of it. I am still learning the ropes, and I am into it for 2 months now. The staff has been very helpful in getting me onboard. I have not used all of my included support call time yet.

Cons

The learning curve is steep. You are only allowed 3 hours of free phone support to get started. Be careful with utilizing it to the fullest.

Amazingly comprehensive managed services

The AutoTask \ Datto AEM software is one of the best RMM products we've used. We originally were looking to swap to something from Hounddog when it was expensive years ago and this did everything HoundDog \ GFI Max did but much cheaper and that was just on the monitoring side of things. It also added, remote management, auditing, bulk updates, patch management, reporting, which we weren't getting from Hounddog and we've been with AutoTask ever since. Each time we look to replace it with another RMM tool, when we compare the features and the price per device we just can't beat it.

Pros

Ridiculously low resource footprint Easy to add devices for management The amount of detailed information you get from the auditing is amazing Push out deployments in bulk

Cons

The inbuilt reporting is being massively improved over the next few months \ iterations, as currently it leaves something to be desired. There's a huge wealth of auditing data that is captured by the software but you can't easily pull this out. Sure you can filter devices by the info, but to actually pull a report, its painful. 3rd party patch management is also something they're working on developing further as there are competitors out there who do it much better.

Autotask psa for MSP's

Proffessional services automation and control

Pros

It controls the whole business from tickets to Accounting and getting paid. COntrolling stock, organising engineers, it runs our whole business

Cons

It is quite expensive but i do think that for the benefits we couldnt live without it really (Dont tell AT they might put our prices up)

Quality platform for the Support Ticket lifecycle.

Pros

The user interface is information rich yet friendly and easy to navigate. It allows wide customization of the widgets and workflows can be setup to automate much of the process. This is a great tool for anyone providing support or managed services.

Cons

The email-to-ticket functionality is limited, and we ended up making our own development to integrate to AT. It is recommended for someone to champion the implementation from the user side, to assist with administration and understand all that there is to learn about Autotask.

Good PSA but the API requires major developments and functionality enhancements

Overall a good PSA however needs major improvements to the API because right now it feels like they made it just to show off they have an API because it has so many limitations.

Pros

Feature rich.Good for documentation and tracking tickets and device details. The workflow system is good.Mostly flexible.

Cons

Not user friendly- takes time to learn. API needs a lot of development - cannot merge using API, Attachment size limit that doesnt make sense at all? Reporting section can be certainly improved. Allows only three IP's to the warehouse.

AutoTask is Absolutely Wonderful Product

You can keep track of open, closed tickets. You can set different categories for your tickets with different priories and urgency. It lets you search by company name, contact or even ticket number. Within the tickets themselves you can create ticket, templates, link computers by name, categories by different issues, hardware, software etc, also the notes section and add attachments is great. I love this site

Pros

This is a multi use site. We manage multiple companies and it organizes it perfectly.

Cons

Sometimes it goes down during maintenance or a glitch, otherwise good

You don't know what you have till it's gone...

It did the job it was supposed to do, integrated well with other titles, and is a polished, mature offering.

Pros

Autotask can do alot. In fact, it can do so much that you can be overwhelmed at times. Also, it almost always works, with very few service delays or interruptions. It wasn't until I switched PSAs that I realized how good it is.

Cons

It's pricey. Doing a single operation can open 3 to 4 windows. Not always super intuitive. Inventory doesn't support UPC codes.

A PSA to handle everything from ticketing to invoicing; Extremely customizable

My overall experience with Autotask PSA, from implementation to daily use, has been very favorable. I would highly recommend this software due to its versatility and ability to be customized. Our company was not taking full advantage of all modules (contracts and invoicing, specifically), which was detrimental to our overall efficiency. My recommendation would be that anyone considering this software look to implement all facets of the software for the best result. Autotask PSA has an extensive FAQ library, webinars (live and recorded) and tutorials for new Administrators and users. Customer support was also very helpful when we had specific questions or issues, and there is a handy scheduling feature for technical support chats.

Pros

Autotask PSA is an extremely customizable tool. Different departments can have customized ticket categories, including Issue Types, priorities, resources, ticket status, due dates, workflows and notifications (and more) to fire off based on the rules associated with each category. The updates to the software in the last 18 months have improved the user experience. For example, when viewing a ticket,...

Cons

There is a large learning curve when implementing this software. It is a common mistake to create a lot of customization (UDFs and workflows) because the Administrator is not familiar with the modules or the best practices of the software. Creating custom reports can be very cumbersome due to the vast number of options and fields available. When creating a new ticket, time entry or activity entry, a new window opens in the browser (which was an annoyance for some team members).

Best MSP out there!

Pros

There's really nothing out there I've found that's comparable. The integration with other programs like N-Able, QuoteWerks and QuickBooks pretty much make AutoTask a one-stop-shop. I love that AutoTask has so many features that allow me to service our customers all in one place. I've been using AutoTask for over 4 years and I'm STILL finding new features available! They also seem to value its user's input. Over the years I've seen them make many improvements to their user interface, and a lot of them were highly requested by users on their message boards, so it's nice to see that they read those and make efforts to incorporate much-needed changes.

Cons

The fact that AutoTask has so many features does make it difficult to navigate and set up the system initially. Because of that, most of the problems we've had with AutoTask have boiled down to being user-errors, which I can't fault AutoTask for. As an admin, it's just that there's SO much you can do and customize in AutoTask, it becomes very overwhelming knowing where to start, and knowing how to set up all the pieces in a way that will make the system easy to use for our normal tech users.

Very effective ticketing and project management tool

Pros

Ticketing with Autotask saving a lot of time and efforts, it facilitates the communication between all stakeholders including our clients, allows internal notes on the ticket controls what the client can see and what is not, adding user defined fields allows us to generate more meaningful reports related to our business and our needs. Managing projects is very productive with Autotask, as I can...

Cons

Why there is no feature to generate Project management charts like, network diagrams, WBS, Gantt charts from the current open projects?

It isn't the prettiest or sleekest looking, but AEM provides a deep toolkit for the IT professional.

AEM makes it easy to organize multiple off-site locations and set up hardware monitoring, apply a scheduled server restart for patches, and the ability to quickly and easily apply scripts to remote computers without ever logging onto them.

Pros

AEM makes it easy to monitor, set up scripts, or even connect to countless computers remotely. You can drill down to a computer on an individual level, or group entire office sites into resource monitoring or apply your custom written scripts to them, either one time or schedule a time for them to reoccur. AEM really lets you apply the full capabilities of your knowledge to managing your computers. I've never felt held back by it.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like there's just too many levels, and it can take awhile to get where you need to be. Luckily the software is not slow to respond, but it's still a few layers to drill down to get to the computer you need. There also is a bit of a learning curve compared to other similar management systems, however AEM does reward you for learning all its in's and out's with a vast array of customization features to manage the computers exactly how you want.

Used this program for two years as the department service management system. I was named a champion

Was able to fill the service management needs of a large field service division.

Pros

Had a wide variety of modules and a solid work flow engine. Made appropriate recommendations for additional and followup actions. Front end was a intuitive GUI .

Cons

Work flow engine made decisions that could not be easily reversed. Constantly opened asset tracking modules contrary to our data collection strategies. Unable to integrate material purchasing and reporting software hence autotask produced invoices that had to be exception ed out of inventory. Accounting software engine was based on quick books hence it was never able to integrate with the one write enterprise accounting software. Independent financial auditors were not willing to verify accuracy of the spread sheet nature of the accounting software. Our work around was to abandon the accounting module, AutoTask did not give a refund.

An easy to use and well integrated solution for IT companies

I lead a team of 8 technicians. Distributing and managing tickets between them can be very frustrating with an average of 50-100 tickets a day for my team. Autotask makes it very easy to manage with the customization throughout the program. From my dashboard, I am able to monitor ticket openings for my team, overall closures per technician, ticket priorities and SLA clocks, and escalations. I really like the way I can build reports in any method I want with just a few clicks. Reviewing timesheets is also much faster for me with the layout in Autotask.

Pros

-A sharp looking, customizable dashboard -Multiple ways to view ticket queues and monitor technicians -Client Portal -Easy to build knowledge base -Attractive report views for every business need

Cons

-Frequent crashes and freezes -More complicated to implement then ServiceNow -On average is a higher dollar amount than other industry leaders -Long contracts as well as yearly rolling contracts

Needs more focus on documenting

Pros

I really like the interface in Autotask. It is clean and easy to navigate where I need to go. The number of applications that we use that integrate directly with AT helps us to work smarter not harder. Everything from RMM tools to accounting packages all have very solid integrations. The help function is responsive in what it returns on searches and I can usually find something to answer my question quickly.

Cons

Things I dislike include: the low set number of tickets I can have in a search list show at one time, the CRM module is antiquated and unused by us, the project module could be much easier to work in regularly and the mobile app needs to be revamped.

Great overall system

Pros

I really like the templates for tickets and other automation that can be done with this system. I don't use this for any billing or project management anymore but have in the past. I was not impressed with either of those two feature sets but it has been about 2 years since I've used them. The basic reports are good for getting a fundamental view of your ticket metrics

Cons

Inline image support should be extended. Should be easier to email out attachments from ticket notes. Email parser seems to have some intermittent problems where the email is not converted to a ticket. Reporting capabilities need some serious overhaul - only the most basic reports/info are available.

All you need to make a tickets in one page

Pros

A very helpful tool for working into the online world and have a controll for all your transactions ith the clients no matters the place in the world they are. The UI is really nice, thouhg is not the most pretty, have the most frecuently tools in ne page and make the proces faster. I work with people allover the world and this app help us to integrate our work and make a more faster process

Cons

One of the most problematic issues that i see is in the securyty, is not real levels, everyone wit acces can do anything they want to, so you must have complety trust in the person you give acces, but in bussines fully trust is not enough. Also dislike the fact that they use te user computer time becouse i work with people in diferents time zones and that make some notes and tickets get to confuse

A great way to coordinate your client information and workflow with your team

Pros

Scheduling, ticketing, invoicing are all in one place. The dashboard shows the schedule for all of the techs and employees, making it easy to schedule tasks for people. It also keeps track of productivity of the team, and finally parses everything into an invoice which is easy for the client to read

Cons

The reporting functionality is confusing at best. We've had to call for support on many custom reports that we've tried to make. The built-in ones work well. It would be nice to have nicer looking client-facing reports, which seem to be lacking in this system aside from the invoicing.

Powerful Helpdesk

Pros

This helpdesk has a lot of functions. With all the data teams enter in the working day this can help accounts departments with invoicing in bulk with time constraints.

Cons

For the end user there are a number of fields to input. For example in an MSP work environment, you need to enter the company before the individuals name. Having that requirement slows down input and confuses the customer. The mobile app needs improvement. More investment on making this easy to use on mobiles and tablets is key to allowing engineers to work in the field.

Very easy project scheduler app

Very productive project management app especially, the scheduling and the reporting part

Pros

It avails a very productive and professional dashboard, it organizes huge communications on tickets and projects very easy, it facilitates in-line scheduling for phases and related tasks very easy, it allows customize very productive reports and you can schedule when you need to receive these reports automatically.

Cons

We sometimes face problems with the integration with Autotasks APIs, as sometimes it works and sometimes not.

It gets the job done

Out of the box, it has a lot going for it. But the setup time is not short. It's great for getting quick access to information about your customers, tickets, billings, etc.

Pros

It's industry specific, so it has a lot going for it. We need something that is already designed for our industry so we could hit the ground running.

Cons

It's cumbersome and pricey. The per user price is not cheap. We are starting to outgrow it. We regular have needs to go outside of what the built in limitations are of different modules with no options to expand.

Autotask make managing our IT department a piece of cake.

Pros

This software has allowed us to centralize a number of system we used to have as separate systems, and also ties seamlessly into our existing ERP software. It's changed the way we handle our work flows, and project management, and made ticketing and billing simple.

Cons

The only down side I can really see that we had with the software was the learning curve. It was a little different to get used to at first, but not I'm not sure what we did without it.

Great user interface and the functionality of this software is superior

We can multi task using the autotask dash board,this allows us to manage all aspects of the service desk including the financial spectrum of the business. This program is a vital part of our day to day routine and we would be lost without it.

Pros

I really like the interface of the website and the depth of functionalty to assist running a service desk is really great. Superior software for the price.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. I highly recommend this product.