ActiveCollab Logo

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

bitrix24
monday-com

I really admire it beautiful it helps me in tracking the time and essentially to ensure productivity of work in a much more convenient way.
Packs a lot for the pricing. We are super satisfied with the product and excellent customer service.
The one that I like the most about this software is the quality of service versus to the cost. As I found, it is one of the best in the market.
The lack of integration means that sometimes members of our team have to ping-pong between both products, or fail to understand what's happening there.
Lack of integration with Git or another version of control system.
The time logging structure was also a pain point compared to alternate software options we've since pursued.

JC

Joe C.

Account Manager

I can't say enough good things about ActiveCollab

Transcript

Joe C.: My name is Joe, and I'm an account manager working in digital marketing. I am reviewing ActiveCollab...

Jolie H.

Retail Presentation Manager

Sporting Goods, 51-200 employees

Active Collab makes working together simple

Transcript

Speaker 1: My name is Jolie. I'm a retail services manager in the cycling industry. I give ActiveCollab,...

Matthias J.

A sleek yet powerful project management software way above its competition

It helps me organize a great number of projects as one-man business without losing more time than necessary.

Pros

It's amazing how flexible AC can be depending on a project's needs. It can serve as a simple reminder list with great speed and simplicity but also get fully blown up for projects involving production teams and clients at once. Compared to its competition it never feels like its dictating you to use it in a certain way, it just hands you a great bunch of options and lets you use them without interference....

Cons

I personally don't like the free limitations of users. I know there's a business model behind it but I hate to delete other clients/team members just to make room for someone else.

Mavares P.

Manage and accompany to innovate

Control of project operations

Pros

In such a complex world, where the time and control factor in operations makes a difference, it is vital to have a platform that allows access to many tasks that, otherwise, would involve and coordinate many people, this type of tools allows us to save costs and reduce involuntary human errors, in everything that refers to the necessary coordination between all the members of the project. The calendar...

Cons

As with many platforms, the versions that are used in tables or smart devices show some limitations, in relation to those that are handled by PC, it would be very important to preserve and maximize the benefits when you have other devices and not limit the functions that, After all, knowledge or traditional devices for solving problems are not always available.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

A very good tool

Pros

The native features are very adapted to our uses, and we were able to add the missing features.Especially, time and budget tracking are good to have and

Cons

Not us directly, but our customers are sometimes disturbed by the UX, despite huge leap forward recently.We sometimes find it a bit slow in terms of performance - we host it so we may be to blame - and access to data (because we have a lot of projects and customers).

Matthew J.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

ActiveCollab is one of the easiest PM tools to migrate to

Overall, I really like the product and I think for any team that has been plagued with trying to find the "right solution" to their PM needs, either overwhelmed by more technical PM tools or underwhelmed by lightweights, then ActiveCollab slots in nicely as being a very viable, competitive solution. You just have to ask yourself if the pricing is worth it.

Pros

There are actually two PM tools that I absolutely love - Nifty and Ora, however, as much as I love them, they're a bit too "technical" for the layman to use. If you're not heavily invested in software development, they can be overwhelming, but ActiveCollab offers a really clean UI and superb UX that make onboarding new, casual users a breeze. The features offered in ActiveCollab are on par with the industry and mean that you can grow into the product as a team without worrying about boundaries for the most part. I only say "the most part" because I'm on a lower tier plan that doesn't include things like Invoicing (something I use a different product for anyway).

Cons

While I guess it can be seen as a "smart" business decision, I think gating things like Invoicing behind a pay wall doesn't feel great as an end user. It's just the psychological aspect of it all, right? If you said I had to pay $7.50/month for a plan and then an additional $3/month for Invoicing, I would be less inclined versus just being asked to pay $10/month for everything. I think the pigeon-holing of Invoicing being behind a plan that is also a price per member can also be a crux because the functionality doesn't really change between a 2 person operation and a 200 person operation, but the two would pay a crazy amount of difference ($6 vs. $600) just for Invoicing.

Ulric A.

Collaborative working made easy

Pros

It's a great Project Management System. We moved from a legacy system and had prerequisites for our agency: project & task management, people/roll management and time management. It does these with ease. Then it layered great collaborative working.

Cons

The recently launched "workload" feature is an add-on additional cost. As a SaaS the competition is fierce for features and benefits. I personally think this should have been part of their bundle, not additional.

Sarfaraz K.

E-Learning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Streamline Your Team Collaboration with ActiveCollab

Overall, my experience with ActiveCollab has been positive. The software is user-friendly and easy to navigate, making it simple to keep track of tasks and projects. The interface is clean and intuitive, and the ability to assign tasks to team members and set deadlines is a great feature. The dashboard gives a clear overview of progress, and the ability to integrate with other tools like Google Drive and Slack makes it even more efficient. The customer support team is also responsive and helpful. The only downside I have found is that the software is a bit expensive for the small business.

Pros

One of the things I liked most about ActiveCollab software is its user-friendly interface. The interface is intuitive and easy to navigate, making it simple for my team to quickly access the features and tools they need to manage our projects. Additionally, the software is highly customizable, allowing us to tailor it to our specific needs and workflows. The ability to create custom workflows and labels helped me to stay on top of my projects and keep everything organized. Another feature that I liked is the ability to collaborate with team members in real-time and leave comments on tasks, which helped to streamline communication and keep everyone on the same page. Overall, ActiveCollab software is an efficient and productive tool for managing projects and teams.

Cons

One of the things I liked least about ActiveCollab software was the lack of flexibility in customizing the interface. While the overall layout and design was user-friendly, I found it difficult to make small adjustments to suit my team's specific needs. Additionally, the reporting feature could be improved with more detailed and customizable options. Another downside was the limited integration capabilities with other tools and platforms. Overall, while ActiveCollab offers a solid project management solution, there is definitely room for improvement in terms of customization and integration options.

Bryan M.

Design,

A great project management tool for design studios

Pros

We've been using ActiveCollab since version 1. We needed more features and flexibility than other project management systems provided and we also were looking for an invoicing system. ActiveCollab provided all of that in one package and we could buy a license to run on our own server instead of paying monthly fees. This pricing model was very attractive for us along with the extra features to make the system fit our project management workflow, made ActiveCollab an easy choice.

Cons

The mobile app isn't the best. For those who heavily rely on using their project management system on mobile, this might be something to consider. I'm not a fan of the themes in the theme option, but if using the self hosted version, then you could potentially adjust styling to fit your business better.

Khothatso M.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

ActiveCollab is a very Comprehensive Tool.

Pros

ActiveCollab ensures that I meet my deadlines and deliver quality work always. I can manage my work and collaborate with my team effectively and hassle-free. Its interface and design offers simplicity and helps me manage everything on one platform from tracking tasks, file sharing to planning on my calendar. I am really impressed with it and it is really helpful in terms of communication. I can recommend it to anyone.

Cons

I found it difficult to integrate it my calendar when I first started using but so far I'm pleased with it.

Mike T.

Feature-rich, flexible project management with great support

Flexible, robust project management with great support.

Pros

While some project management systems try to force their own project management paradigms, ActiveCollab allows you the freedom to decide how you will manage your projects. Kanban? Click a button. Gannt? Click a button. You can easily manage milestones, tasks, files, discussions, time-tracking et al. however needed and have every feature you'll need or want available. Their support and development has been amazing. Quick replies, quick changes to the core product for quality-of-life requests.

Cons

Rich text could use some work as adding formatted content will sometimes yield awful results. Needs a better way to sort/view items in "My Work" based on tags and deadlines e.g., view all tasks due that week or all view all time based on job types. A responsive design and more fluid UI would also be a welcome change.

Stuart S.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

ActiveCollab is worth it for us.

It does what we need for the most part, at a reasonable price.

Pros

ActiveCollab is pretty straight forward for our needs of project management.

Cons

We like being able to create templates for projects, however, there is no ability to copy a template and adjust it to be a different template. Every template needs to be made from scratch, and there's not an easy way to even copy and paste things from other templates. A lot of our templates are similar but have variations. We've contacted support multiple times and they like our idea, but they haven't done anything about it in about two years of asking.

JD

Joshua D.

This system is the very bedrock of client collaboration in our company. We simply need it.

Pros

Diversity of features. It covers calendar integration, task management, expense and time tracking, client estimates and invoicing is integrated, discussions with clients are threaded and neatly organized at all times, file uploads that act as a mini-Dropbox for yourself and your clients, notes, facebook-style timeline of the activity within each project... And I haven't even touched on the level of...

Cons

The iOS and Android apps needs some work. They don't do as much as the desktop version, so they feel limited. They don't really take advantage of features like gestures or multi-touch, which every smartphone has. We'd really like to be able to upload more than just pictures from the camera roll; some kind of file picking, or option to upload to ActiveCollab from another app (share sheets) would...

MT

Marek T.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

ActiveCollab Review

Overall, my experience with ActiveCollab has been positive. The software proved to be a reliable and efficient project management tool. The intuitive interface and robust task management features helped in organizing and prioritizing work effectively. The ability to collaborate with team members, share files, and communicate within the platform streamlined the workflow and improved productivity. Despite the limited customization options, ActiveCollab offered a solid foundation for project management and facilitated seamless coordination among team members. In summary, my overall experience with ActiveCollab has been productive and satisfying.

Pros

One of the things I liked most about ActiveCollab was its user-friendly interface and intuitive project management features. The software provided a centralized platform for organizing tasks, collaborating with team members, and tracking project progress. The ability to create and assign tasks, set deadlines, and monitor the overall project timeline made it easy to keep everyone on the same page. Additionally, the interactive Gantt chart and visual overview of tasks and milestones allowed for effective project planning and resource allocation.

Cons

While ActiveCollab had many positive aspects, one thing I liked least was the limited customization options in terms of design and layout. The software offered a clean and straightforward interface, but there were minimal options for personalizing the look and feel to match specific preferences or branding. Additionally, some users might find the reporting and analytics capabilities of ActiveCollab to be less advanced compared to other project management tools. However, these limitations did not significantly impact the overall functionality and usability of the software.

JC

Joe C.

I can't say enough good things about ActiveCollab

ActiveCollab keeps our company organized, on task and on budget. From tracking work and projects to tracking the financials surround ing those projects, we couldn't live without ActiveCollab. I love how ease to use it is and how easy to navigate it is.

Pros

Active collab is intuitive, easy to use and easy to navigate. There are MANY other project management tools out there and I've used a number of them. Active Collab is the best in my opinion in light of the integrations and ease of use.

Cons

There are a number of more in-depth features that are sometimes hard to find in ActiveCollab. Nothing a simple support ticket can't solve though.

CM

CINZIA M.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

A life changing tool!

Overall ActiveCollab makes my life easier.

Pros

Active Collaboration is super intuitive and affordable. Before switching to Active Collaboration a few years ago we used WorkFront and it was an absolute nightmare. After 10 months of getting templates set up and trying to learn how to use them our team was so frustrated that I knew that I wouldn't be renewing that tool for another year. Active Collaboration is so easy to use, it literally takes 10...

Cons

I wish there was a feature that if you change a task date there's an option to move out all the dates at one time.

CK

Clay K.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

ActiveCollab Review

Overall I cannot recommend ActiveCollab enough. The application is extremely user friendly and the support staff is extremely responsive and very helpful!

Pros

I love how easy it was to implement across our IT team. We started using this for our project management and it has drastically increased our efficiency and communication.

Cons

The only thing I have found that I dislike about ActiveCollab is there is no due date for overall projects. You can create due dates for individual tasks, but it would be nice to set it for the project itself. In no way has this impacted our performance, it would just be a nice feature to add.

Graphic Design, 11-50 employees

Cheap alternative of Basecamp for small team

Pros

Timelines.

Cons

Not reactive interface. Terrible iOS app. ...

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Active Collab is helpful in keeping everyone on the same page and up to date on tasks

Overall, I really like ActiveCollab as a project management tool. We have been able to onboard folks to it quickly and again, I like to have one place that I can go and see all my active projects and current tasks. You are also able to see past projects and tasks.

Pros

I like that I can go one place and see all my tasks for the projects I am a part of. It is easy to tag people and the software is pretty intuitive. It allows many people to be part of the big picture and stay up to date on the progress of projects. It also cuts down on the number of emails I need to send because I can follow up on items within the program and tag people.

Cons

The customer support often leaves something to be desired. When issues arise it is not usually a quick fix and when Active Collab is down, our project management comes to a halt because this is the key to our success. The everyday support for quick answers is fine, but when major issues arise the solutions are not always quick.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

We wake up with ActiveCollab and close the work day with it :)

10000% happy camper

Pros

It's been more than 10 years using ActiveCollab since the day they had this 90s looking masterpiece of project scheduling platform. Today ActiveCollab grew sooo much and we love the minimalist style, the fact that they keep integrating and updating new features and functionalities making it every next day better and better.

Cons

I've tried so many other Project planning and Teamwork platforms but this one is the best I've ever seen for what we need - combining teamwork, with project planing, milestones progress, resource scheduling and time tracking.

Higher Education,

After extensive research, our team settled on AC for its simple interface and robust structure.

Pros

- Simple, clean UI - Easy to learn - Clear structure (teams, projects, categorized task lists) that works well for us - Ability to sort things in the My Work list, so I can arrange my priorities for the week and then easily reorder things as tasks are completed. - Integrates well with Dropbox - Powerful customizable reports (ex. can easily see what got done in the past week on project A, or can get a clear portrait of what employee B did for the last month) Also, when you're in the middle of writing something (ex. a comment or a note) and get interrupted, it *retains* what you wrote (even if you didn't submit it and no one else can see it). This has saved me so much effort, since it's hard to juggle doing things with documenting them.

Cons

- The Asana importer didn't work for me. This resulted in a huge amount of effort migrating projects and tasks by hand. - AC emails you every time you're added to a project, and you need to be part of a project to see what's going on in it - we use this for workplace transparency, so there are a lot of projects and the notifications are irritating - Can't easily transform a task into a project - The My Work interface doesn't automatically refresh when there's an update on one of my projects, so I can be in AC all day and still miss some notifications (unless I enable email notifications, which I dislike).

ES

Emma S.

Writing and Editing, 11-50 employees

ActiveCollab is great for keeping in touch with colleagues around the world - makes it fast and easy

Ease and speed of use, ability to tag co-workers, review discussions easily and keep track of tasks.

Pros

I love the fact that it's linked to my email account, so if there is a new post I know about it quickly! It's also great that I can reply to threads directly from my email, that feature is so helpful. I like that the threads within ActiveCollab are easy to keep track of, so no more wading through emails trying to find a reference to something! The interface is quick and easy to use, and it's great being able to tag co-workers in threads to grab their attention.

Cons

There isn't much to be honest, but I suppose I would like it if the software took me directly to recent activity, as when there are a lot of projects sometimes I find it hard to navigate my way to the thread I'm looking for. But that's a minor quibble! Other than that, I really enjoy using the software.

AG

Aaron G.

Very intuitive for our daily use. Our 4-person team is able to keep everything clear and organized.

Workflow efficiency. Team project management. Time-tracking for hourly clients.

Pros

The robust features that are at our disposal should we scale up or change the way we work. Discussions, notes, tasks, lists. Third-party app integration if needed. I like that we have room to grow. I also very much like the reports. As the business owner, it's key to see how efficiently my team is performing, and how to keep our workflow profitable.

Cons

Day-to-day, the timer app is buggy. It's frustrating when I can't scroll through our long list of active jobs, or when the status doesn't appear in my toolbar for easy reference. We've also had issues with days going by with time records not being logged, having to take screencaps and re-enter by hand (if we're lucky enough to no re-start the app). A better timer app would be very welcomed.

Elizabeth H.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Great features when they work.

ActiveCollab has a lot of potential because it offers great features, but it's very buggy and doesn't work properly quite often.

Pros

ActiveCollab has a ton of great features - tasks, messages, time tracking, etc. I like that you can have both internal and external teams and choose what the clients can and cannot see.

Cons

Different features break all the time. Time that you've tracked will be deleted with no warning, tasks will show up with the wrong due date, you won't be able to upload files to the message, etc. Customer Service is quick to *respond* to a support ticket but actually getting the problems fixed usually takes days or weeks.

AS

Andreas S.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Flexible project management tool with many features

Pros

The project management tool has many advantages and features. We've been using it for many years. A big advantage is the link with Slack and Google Drive. This gives us an optimal overview of every customer. In addition, our customers can create tasks independently and communicate with our entire team. Since the new version it is clearer and more intuitive. We can only recommend it and will continue to use it intensively.

Cons

The app itself is expandable and also the software for time recording is relatively unreliable. The recurring tasks should include more options.

Tomasz C.

One of the best project management software

Pros

+ faaast + intuitive, easy to use + almost everything that small company need in one place (projects, tasks, time tracking, expenses) + invoicing + 3rd party integrations (stripe, xero) <3 + did I mention that is fast ;) Highly recommended, not only for software development. It's highly configurable and as most of the things that you have to work on is "like a project" - you can use it everywhere.

Cons

After over two years, I see that lack of simple crm is probably only missing feature. You can use internal notes, but I don't feel it now.

Ginny H.

Packs a lot for the pricing. We are super satisfied with the product and excellent customer service!

Pros

The software is easy to use and easy for others to figure out. We have a campus like environment and are able to work on projects for various departments without having to have so many meetings. All skill levels have been able to easily figure out how to utilize the product. It's been a real life-saver for our department.

Cons

I would love to see the completed projects being able to sort and view better. It gets hard to go back to a job and see what we've done before or re-open. Also, copying the entire job itself would be great.