TMetric Reviews

4.5/5 (189 reviews)

Jonathan Nies

Easy to use and customize time tracking tool

Reviewed 2019-08-19

Pros
The relatively unofficial API support for the product is very through; if there isn't a first party support already built in for the tools we use, Browser Extension enabling ZenDesk Support, then we have some flexibility to build up additional solutions to integrate TMetric into our work flow. It's easy to create a budget for a project that can be assigned to either time or a monetary value. Time is linear, and cannot overlap; so if you need to go back and change your time because it wasn't tracked properly, you don't need to worry about readjusting all entries to make sure you're not double billing a client.

Cons
The project selection tool starts to get slow to load when you have a lot of projects in the system. The desktop application hasn't always been that reliable (crashes, the window opening) although I still run it in the background to monitor what I'm working on, so I can go back and review it at any time. Because time doesn't overlap it is relatively easy to accidentally overwrite a days worth of entries if you accidentally meant to make your start time of an entry to 3:00 PM, forgetting to add the "PM", and the system defaults to 3:00 AM, and giving you a quick "are you sure message".

Tammi Oldknow

I NEED THIS... and LOVE it

Reviewed 2019-08-19

I have used this for a couple of years and have even recommended to my clients that want to hire staff. I have some clients that want to know how every minute is spent and others that are happy as long as I am getting the task done in the time I am allotted, but TMetric takes all of the guesswork out. Regardless of what I am invoicing the client for I can send the report from TMetric so I am aware of exactly how much time to bill each client for.

Pros
I like that with the click of a button I can not only switch between clients but also sub projects for each of those clients. At the end of the week I can run a report and pull everything into a spreadsheet and send each client a complete snapshot of how much time was spend on which aspects of their business. There is even an app so if I am not sitting at my desk but doing some work from my tablet or on a call I can still click the button and track every minute.

Cons
I have not encountered anything I dislike. I use the free version and have not found its limitations

Marie Johnson

Great but missing features

Reviewed 2019-08-22

Tmetric is very basic, reporting is poor and not configurable. While it tracks time it cannot track resource utilization, project burn, costs (vs price). Tmetric support is responsive however their reply for most of the enhancements is “it doesn’t do that” which means I need to find a product that wants to improve and provide the customer experience we need.

Pros
So I use this for all employees billable or not. It is great for internal usage but it is a lot of work to transfer to an invoice for a customer. On average each employee spends two hours each week. It doesn’t track expenses, car mileage, or receipts on an account so we have to use multiple applications to get one invoice out each week. I like that I can put in each contract assign the hours to each employee but it doesn’t do burn sheets so again I need another tool. As for tracking time it’s just okay. It’s great when it work automatically on the computer. It does a great job at tracking idle time but tends to crash when in a project monitoring activity. While all apps crash the issue is you don’t know this one has because it’s hidden until you want to do a different task and then you’ve lost all your tracking. Oh there is a feature to allow customers access but I would never do that without the ability to configure it to show the customer what I want

Cons
Reliability and stability are the least favorite things

Charlotte Nystrom

Great for freelancers! Works well.

Reviewed 2019-08-19

Overall, I've enjoyed using TMetric, it far outperforms any other system I've used in the past and I'll definitely be sticking with it for the long haul.

Pros
I love that I can track time for multiple clients with just a few clicks. The end of the week summaries are perfect and allow for quick and easy invoicing without too much effort.

Cons
The software can be a tad glitchy at times, but I've found that some patience and a quick refresh usually gets things flowing smoothly again.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Anonymous

Perfect Time Tracking Tool

Reviewed 2019-08-05

Pros
One of my favorite things about TMetric is its integration with Asana. I am a freelance web designer and website manager and I use Asana to help me keep track of all of my daily tasks that need to be performed for all of my clients and when I'm working on a big project. I needed an easy way to keep track of my time so I knew how long tasks were taking me to complete. TMetric was and easy choice. The free plan gave me exactly what I needed, it was super easy to hook in to asana and my chrome browser and now I am tracking everything. I also love that I can run reports so I can see where I am spending most of my time. As a freelance designer every penny counts and the fact that I get all this functionality for free is a huge win!

Cons
I honestly have nothing bad to say about this software, it met my needs perfectly.

Leon Troitski

The Time tracker I was looking for as a freelancer

Reviewed 2019-08-19

Pros
As a freelancer (Web/Software Developent) I found almost every feature that I needed working for different clients with their respective projects and tasks. Some projects run on an hourly rate basis, others have their budgets. You can combine both. I also time track my own learning and other non-earning processes, so that in the end of the month I can see the time spent on commercial as well as non-commercial tasks. The reports are really nice. I use submit them together with the invoice to the respective clients, making my month's work transparent to them. The application is very intuitive. You see only what you really need. You have type-ahead suggestions for new tasks based on what you have already entered in the past. There are some team functionalities, which I don't use as a freelancer, but which could be pretty useful if you work in team. The app runs comfortably synchron on any device.

Cons
The app design is not well suitable for a small viewport (smartphone). It gets horizontally scrollable, which is not really comfortable. Probably it's a general problem for timelines, but I hope there could be a solution for that in the future. A mobile app would be nice too.

Samantha Groff

Time Tracking Made Easy

Reviewed 2019-08-19

We needed to see how long we were taking on specific tasks to determine if we were charging enough for our services.

Pros
I liked the straight forward interface which everyone learned quickly.

Cons
What I least like is that only admins can add people to projects. There are occasions when it would be nice to just have someone login their time on a project without having to be added to the whole team process.

Joshua Ede

The only time keeping software I'll ever use!

Reviewed 2017-02-21

When I started as an employee as a website developer and IT Support Officer I wanted an easy way to keep track of my time and how I use my time. I asked myself: That takes up the majority of my time and how often do I change tasks throughout the day? The system that was originally developed was very manual and required the required only journal for start and finish times. After trialing a large amount of software and solutions on the market I started using TMetric and have had my best time management experience. Not only do I now keep a time log of my work but I can also analyse my time history and provide my employer with instant reports within seconds based on my key words (Tags) and/or Project and/or Client. The amount of options is amazing. I have submitted development requests and have seen some of my great ideas developed within Tmetrics online application. With the product continuous being improved, I won't be moving away from TMetric. TMetric has helped me organise my website developing skills into a development areas. The recording of website development time segments has helped better prepare for more accurate quoting for website customisations.

Pros
Segmenting of tags for accurate reporting along with: Automatic starting and stopping.

Cons
Starting a new time for a project needs to be very accurate (within 2 minutes) otherwise a break forms when I don't need one.

Samuel Stevenson

Best timetracker I've found

Reviewed 2019-08-05

My time tracking is more accurate now than ever. I'm not having to fabricate time entries when they were missed.

Pros
App provides a solid set of ways to start timers (Chrome extension, web app, mobile app) but if you forget to start the timer, which I often do, the desktop activity monitor makes it so easy to fill in the blanks.

Cons
It could have a prettier UI. The PC app in particular. And the PC app could have features allowing a timer to stay on screen in an unobtrusive way.

Ben Danby

Data is power

Reviewed 2017-02-21

TMetric is a innovative tool, that initially I was extremely resistant too, as I didn't understand the value in recording time. After 1 whole month of recording time, I immediately saw the benefit. Even though I have been working in a similar way for a long time, I did not truly understand how much time I lost. I knew there was parts of my day to day work I needed to improve, but couldn't fully pinpoint where the churn of time was. Luckily, Tmetric allows me to see just how much time I TRULY spend with tasks not important to my real work, and where I can best spend that time instead. The UI is brilliant now. Other then the below improvement suggestion, it is actually very smooth to use. Easy to learn and easy to master. Improvements: I would like to see it better predict what tasks I am putting in. There are some tasks, especially in the morning, I feel it could be smart and know I always have a stand-up at 9:30AM in the week if i log time that day. Then, If I happen not too, it would be easier for me to remove, rather then keep selecting this on a day to day basis.

Pros
Time logging Reporting Group subsets of tasks Finding work churns Truly understanding resource allocation

Cons
Could better predict a user's day to day tasks Reporting UI took a while to understand how to view tasks...

Vinicius Andrade

Fundamental

Reviewed 2019-08-19

It's a must to have time tracker for teams, I know if a I'm being productive or not. I can share the log with my team and make adjustments. I can estimate better the next jobs and provide the ideal due time to clients and to the board.

Pros
The product has improved a lot since they started. It's simple to use but full of features, as you can read in others feedbacks. I don’t need to edit all stuff, it knows where I’m am and what a I’m doing. I just need to add a title and labels and Tmetric supply me with a day or week relatory as I wish. The interface is easy to use, quick to learn, very easy to visualize the informations and the interactions respond instantly without delays.

Cons
Too much grey in the UI (but I’m a designer so maybe not the focus group user) It's just a time tracker after all, I have to use other tools for other kind of work management (so I have to end up to administrate a lot of tools at time).

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Elizabeth Jansen van Vuuren

Simple, easy, effective

Reviewed 2019-08-05

Tmetric has saved me buckets of time, effort and frustration in keeping track of time spent on a range of projects and tasks. I'm naturally bad at record keeping but with Tmetric time tracking is a breeze.

Pros
I have tried various online productivity tools, and Tmetric is the only one I've stayed with. Easy, intuitive and responsive interface, so little time and effort required. I use Tmetric to track my own billable work time and the report I generate within seconds at the end of the month within seconds, fully meets my needs.

Cons
Honestly for the use I put it to, I've not come across any challenges or shortcomings.

Xander Wouters

Time tracking essentials without the bloat

Reviewed 2017-02-07

After another free time tracking app we used completely overhauled their UI in favour of providing lots of features we didn't really need, we went to look for an alternative solution. We stumbled upon TMetric, a new time tracking app seemingly still in its early stages. This is great because the team behind it clearly focused on the essentials first without bloating the software with feature creep. The core interactions required for a time tracking app are all very polished and unlike the competitor products. I personally really like the timeline and seeing my logged work hours and breaks so visually. It's also really intuitive to add breaks or worklog items after the fact. Integrations with common project management software are plentiful and the one I used so far works seamless ly (GitLab). The only shortcomings are in the billing rate options, these are still very basic so having multiple different rates depending on task type etc is not possible yet (as far as I know). However, Devart has a support portal where they are reasonably active and you can request features there.

Pros
Very simple and intuitive, visual timeline for your worklogs and breaks

Cons
Billing rates are very basic (only one rate for your account and a team member rate)

Daniel Lambert

Perfect for a Startup

Reviewed 2017-02-21

I've been using T-Metric for months, and it has been my go-to time-tracking software. It is currently offered for free so its value for money is superb.We'll see how they choose to charge for their service in the future. For now, it being free and having a nice Chrome extension that plays well with Asana, as well as its extremely easy-to-use interface and simplicity are what drew me to it and keep me here.

Pros
Simple, free, easy to track track time and generate reports.

Cons
In my specific case, the limitation that prevents employees from entering time more than 3 days late has been troublesome. I would like to see an option to control this functionality, as well as perhaps a time-approval process that can be done on a weekly basis, where employees submit their time and have it approved by a supervisor.

Phillip Lanos

Worth it and it's seamless.

Used monthly for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2019-08-19

Extremely responsive customer service and the product has a solid build that hasn't ever bugged on me.

Pros
I love everything about it, there are only two softwares I use in conjunction due to missing functionality, I use Trello for the Kanban view of tasks and I use Planaway to synch the calendar so that my tasks show up as part of my day in my google Calendar to avoid scheduling a meeting during a time I blocked out for tasking. It would be awesome to have a client login for them to check on the overall tasklist without having to share my own account login which would expose my other clients info.

Cons
It's pretty damn good. Nothing to complain about.

Darren Lee

GREAT Timekeeping tool

Reviewed 2019-08-05

Pros
Simple design Tracking Detailed report is very useful

Cons
It crashes sometimes. It runs more than 12 hours and ask user to fix the timer next day.

Brandon Zell

Nice Straightforward Time Tracking App

Reviewed 2017-02-12

My favorite thing about TMetric is the day view. This is the main view where you start and stop tasks. It's incredibly simple and has a fantastic graph showing all logged work for the day. This lets me easily see: - How much I've been working on a task during the day - How much time I've logged for the day - By hovering, I can see how long each break I took was. I've used several other time tracking services, and none of them made it this easy to cover those basic features. -- Pros: - Great day overview graphic. - Easily see how long breaks where. - Free for up to 5 users! Cons: - The UI isn't the most intuitive. Once you understand how things work, it's easy. - Desktop app is for Windows only, so I can't take advantage of their automatic tracking. - Reports don't generate any graphics, just line items with hours. Currently the reports tell you things like "You spent 40 hours on this project", but I don't see a way to see a graphic that would tell me when I worked those 40 hours. -- Overall, this a great tool for time tracking. My one piece of advice if you're thinking of trying TMetric: Commit to trying this for a week. You need to push past the initial setup and slight learning curve to enjoy how easy TMetric is to use.

Pros
The thing I like most about TMetric is the "Today" page. It provides great information and makes time tracking quite simple.

Cons
The reports are fairly barebones... just the data. Wish the time tracking data was used to create graphics of how much work was done on each day/week/month for different projects.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anonymous

Easy to use, minimalist time tracking software

Reviewed 2019-08-05

Note: using free version, manually reporting time from TMetric to clients and manually putting time from TMetric into invoicing

Pros
Clean organized and minimalist design. Easy to start and stop timers Easy to edit timers Notifies you if a timer ran overnight and asks you to correct it You can customize your projects and labels You can easily see time spent on projects using any timescale you want (weeks, months, days, year) Quick and responsive UI I know it integrates with Quickbooks but have not used it yet You can track time by when you worked on it, not just by how much time you worked on it in a day.

Cons
Since a recent update, the Firefox add-in no longer works so I have to use Tmetric in a window Installed desktop app is not as nice as the web-version (items not organized alphabetically)

Renelene Jay Camba

An Easy-to-Use Freelancer Time Tracker and Summary Report Tool

Reviewed 2019-08-20

I initially used Tmetric in digital marketing. As we all know digital marketing has a broad set of tasks that needs to be segmented especially on reports. It helps me to prioritize set of tasks within its respective period. It also helps me to easily connect with the client. At first, I doubted its capability as time tracker as I was confused on how to use it. But as I understand its real purpose, I then started enjoying its use especially on summary reports. Kudos to Tmetric!

Pros
What I like most about it is its simplified yet detailed reports on a chosen time period. You can actually enumerate the different tasks you have worked on within your preferred timeline(hour/day/week/year). You can also choose as to how your summary reports will be shown—will it be by projects, by tasks, by team or by whole. Nonetheless, you can also fix your reports even after the period you have worked on. If you feel that your report lacks some tasks you finished, you can always review and rewrite you reports for a more accurate summary.

Cons
So far, all the features on its free plan have benefited me, my client and my work. I can't see any least of it.

Stacy Maguire

Long time user

Reviewed 2019-08-05

I like using Tmetric. It's easy to track my employees. the tech support is pretty responsive.

Pros
I like that I can easily pull up information on a certain project, a certain time frame, a certain user, or a certain client. I can get an overview of what projects are active and how much I can expect to invoice.

Cons
It's not always intuitive, there is a bit of learning curve. And there is no dashboard! I wish there was a dashboard that gives an overview of all the projects and users.

Attila Nagy

Helped me to spend less time on accounting

Reviewed 2019-08-05

I have to account for my time amongst some projects and report back times spent. TMetric's browser plugin makes this accounting a very easy and time-saving effort.

Pros
The best part is multi-device integrations, you can use your phone and browser plugin and they are all in sync. I also like that the browser plugin can fetch data from the current context (like adding a button to a Jira ticket and filling up everything when you click on that). Hm, no, the best part is for basic accounting the free version is enough. And if you need more features, you can always opt-in to the paid plans. But frankly, the existence of the free option made me to start using it.

Cons
It would be nice if the browser plugin (firefox) could do search as you type (for searching past tasks).

Robin Van Cauter

One of the best time trackers available

Reviewed 2017-02-07

Time tracking is hard, I've used 2-3 other time tracking apps on a daily basis for a couple of months and the only piece of software that really nailed the core functionality for me was TMetric. The interface is put simply, a pleasure to work with. On top of that, I don't even use the main interface that much, because the Chrome Extension integrates neatly with almost every (webdev) project management tool we've used (Github, Gitlab, JIRA, ..) The only thing that would be a nice to have(having used Harvest as well), is billing rates per tag or task categories. We bill certain types of tasks within a project differently to our customers and creating a project per type of task for every customer seems like an akward way of achieving this. I know a few companies that would switch to TMetric instantly if this feature was available. Overall I love TMetric and it's simplicity!

Pros
- Lightweight interface - Simplicity

Cons
- No per task type / category / tag billing rates

Pablo Luna

A perfect tool for track my daily task

Reviewed 2019-08-05

I had used tools like this in my desktop enviroment for years but I lost time every day writing the name of the task, project etc.. Since I use tmetric I can focus in my work without afraid of lossing my time because i didnt write.

Pros
The most important thing for me is that you have not to write anything. There is a perfect integration between tools like redmine, github, google anf tmetric. So you don't need to do anything, just click on "start time" and the program do everithing.

Cons
Nothing. I think this is a perfect tool for mine.

Ali Nuraldin

I always choose TMetric for any new team or project setup for years

Reviewed 2019-08-05

We are tracking time of developers and reviewing their work according to TMetric data and it really helps us to manage our team and product development. Also TMetric is part of our KPI calculation.

Pros
It' easy to use - the UI/UX is so intuitive. Last months it even became more available thanks to multi account support.

Cons
Sometimes it has shutdowns. Sometimes it happened during really important period of time, where I needed it the most.

Daniel Lambert

Indispensable Tool for Intuitive Time Tracking

Reviewed 2019-08-05

Pros
It’s extremely easy to use. It also behaves in intuitive ways, like adding breaks which, by default, automatically end at the time you press the button.

Cons
I don’t use all the bells and whistles, and the pro version may be leas affordable for teams which are small and still trying to get funding, but it’s nonetheless a great product. The staff also works with you to extend trials in extenuating circumstances. They’re great people.