Zen Planner Reviews

Zen Planner

Comprehensive Member & Business Software for Gyms + Studios

4.34/5 (212 reviews)

Pros
  • This is a beautifully made system, the apps definitely need work and more ease of use, functionality, but the desktop version is beautiful.Bennie C.Read the full review
  • I love the easy to use back end and the app is something that my students absolutely love - it is so easy for them to book into classes.Kelly R.Read the full review
  • It is not only about issues but also about functionality questions. They are super friendly and useful.Juan Ignacio C.Read the full review
Cons
  • The Dashboard processes the sale, then you have to process the payment separately in a different step. In the beginning we lost sales because our staff was confused.Beth G.Read the full review
  • Their front house version of their software is crap. Their customer service is terrible, they basically tell you that there isn't a way to do what you are asking.Jordan B.Read the full review
  • Email function does not work. After sending several email out to my clientele, I discovered today that all they were getting was the title and no body.Barry H.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Mike Cronin

Cheaper, better, friendlier

Reviewed 2019-05-27

I love their service and how much they've helped me. I would like the ACH only option for memberships though!

Pros
The customer service and ease of use, especially that everything you would essentially need is included with ZenPlanner, unlike MindBody or Triib. It's also cheaper because of PaySimple's merchant integration and I don't think most fitness businesses need the add ons that MindBody has and that you would pay for. I think being a good business owner, setting clearly defined roles and tasks for employees, and making sure they do them will lead to more sales than a email/text bot from MindBody.

Cons
I think the client facing side of signing up for memberships could be a little easier, for instance: you can't have a ACH only membership option, you do need an iPad or computer of which to then use ZenPlanner's Front Desk for, but I do know ZenPlanner is teaming up with PaySimple to possibly release a device to use instead of an iPad or computer.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and kind words.

Alejandro Lopez

Excellent product with futures that are practical, easy to use, and visually appealing

Reviewed 2018-07-13

Endless , independence and function. Being a small business owner it allows me to run and automate many things such as financial reports, workouts, attendance. Reservation, automations of emails for customer retention , sales funnel , customer support, technically forward thingkong woth use of apps for iPad and iPhone to allow me to function on the run , away from the office, in the field, and manage coaches.

Pros
I love zenplanner. They started out with few features and no apps but they promised to improve regularly and they deliver. In the short 4 years I have been using they have incorporated a staff app for the iPhone, a users app to reserve, keep track of workouts , PRs, billing and much more. an app for the front desk to use as checking in, reserving, adding new clients at ease. On each of these products they improve and incorporated new needed features faster than any software I have ever used. Their customer service is truly second to none. Helping you not only in the set up stage but anytime you need help and they work to resolve your problem immediately. The software not only is packed full of great functions for financial, workout writing and publishing, emailing automation, reports of attendance, finances , and mass email intervention but it does it with a sleek appearance that is not only visually appealing but with an easy of use that it's simple and powerful.

Cons
Software is still growing and some features , not many anymore, can be improved. This is truly the worse thing I can think off as I have tried many many others do never been so satisfied and impressed with them delivering a great product and on a regular bases truly adding features to improve it without making it more complicated for the user.

Jen Schafer

Customer support is outstanding

Reviewed 2020-02-20

I'd give it a B- on a grading scale. The customer support is outstanding but any time you want to go beyond just keeping track of how many students you have, things become way too complicated.

Pros
Customer support really is top notch. The on boarding team is fantastic and truly went out of their way to ensure we had every available resource for success. Any little quirky issue or question we have is answered quickly and professionally by the customer support team. They are fantastic.

Cons
The basics are great but it seems to go from "ok to use" to "I have absolutely no idea what to do here" the minute any complication arises. There does not need to be a "staff user" and a "kiosk mode" on the Ipads, it confuses everyone and wastes a lot of time. Converting reports to pdf feature should be a breeze, but doesn't convert the entire report and is useless. It should have a much easier pos system as well. No real way for instructors to leave notes for students, why not? Never use the mass email or text because its just too complicated-these things can be fixed if they gave it some attention.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks, Jen, we'll pass your good words on to our customer support team!

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Maribel Torres

Keeps me organized

Reviewed 2020-03-11

I'm not the most organized person and doing all admin, billing as well a coaching my clients, Zen Planner helps to keep the back end of my business organized and running smoothly. The automations are great if they're set up correctly. Their customer support is amazing!! Not much waiting time and my issues are always resolved. When I started, they're pricing was pretty competitive. Although, they've gotten much pricier over the past year.

Pros
Having automated billing, emails and scheduling. Being able to pull billing reports at a moment's notice to see where my finances are is a plus.

Cons
Having so many options for reports and automations. It can be very confusing at times and sometimes having two steps to accomplish a task isn't clear.

Kris Herbison

Very poor software with appalling customer service

Reviewed 2017-04-14

We are a martial arts school who used the software for 3 years, on the basis that while the software didn't do everything we were looking for they were putting in product feature requests to make improvements, and to fix the many bugs in the software. After 3 years they finally came back with: "I do not have a timeline for release on features that you have suggested. Any changes or additions we make to Zen Planner need to be commonly requested, and fit into the Product Team's vision for our software. As a result, some features you have requested may never be implemented." However I have seen many other martial arts schools request similar changes. So after initially promising everything to get you signed up, they then back track if you keep following up with them trying to get a straight answer. Continuing to try and hold them to account results in: "Zen Planner is not for everyone, and it's important that you find a system that works for you. This message is providing you with notice that your Zen Planner account will be closed" and I have also heard from several other users that this has happened to them as well. So they misrepresent their software, then promise to get it working, take your money - and you invest a significant amount of time setting it up, and then more time every week doing manual workarounds waiting for a fix they never intended to make. Then they just cancel your membership without giving you enough time to transition everything, particularly changing over your billing for members. Some of the issues are: parents signing up their kids for martial arts classes is very difficult and confusing for members. They can't use the same email for their children - who can be too young to even have their own email - and then automated emails don't send as there is no email for the member. When they try it often results in an error and they try signing up multiple times, bloating the database with duplicate registrations and memberships, which are tedious and difficult to combine, that cause errors while completing. I ended up doing more admin to fix this than signing them up manually. Then booking classes for kids is so difficult I ended up doing it manually for parents. Also a main feature they promote is be belt progress skill tracking - this is designed for entering a single workout for a cross fit box, and so trying to enter results and comments for a grading against all the skills is totally unusable.

Pros
For existing members, once you have gone through the lengthy set up process, it processes payments automatically for you, but making changes is very difficult. It is easier to just use the payment gateway provider directly and use a manual system to track it. They did have financial reporting - but I found them to be more trouble than they were worth, but I am a Chartered Accountant and might just have standards that are above minimalistic offering available on Zen Planner.

Cons
It is extreemley difficult for parents to book classes for their kids, especially for more than one child, for more than one day - as the calendar defaults to the parent -with no classes as they don't have a membership. They need to change to the first child then click on one class then reserve a place, then go back to the start for the next class & child. Also for automations to work the child needs an email entered, and you can't use the same email as the parent, or link them to the parent. Apparently this change is too difficult as many members asked, but they won't fix it. When the automations don't work, parents think there is an error and start another registration, which creates many duplicate records in the database. Manually combining them, updating profiles, and manually sending the "automated" emails takes more time than just doing it manually. The skill tracking system is also very badly designed, it is almost unusable, and takes a huge amount of time to enter if you want to record results against all the skills a martial arts student needs to know in a single session, such as a grading or pre-grading. Members can't even see what skills they need to pass if no results are previously entered, or a summary of their skills.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Gavin Van Vlack

Tried the others, using Zen Planner

Reviewed 2020-02-11

Extremely positive.

Pros
Extremely user friendly. I could figure out how it worked quite easily and i am not a tech Wiz which I found to be quite pleasing.

Cons
the common problems that happens with all of the software like it. when the whole system goes down. It is not unique to ZP it has happened with others as well.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the good words, Gavin!

Ricky Semiglia

Game changer

Reviewed 2020-03-06

Just amazing! I truly have been very excited with this software and I enjoy interacting with it in a daily basis.

Pros
What I liked most about this software was the amount of things that it can do to not only help manage the numbers but keep the clients engaged and happy. I am also always amazed by the competence of the customer support team who I have called several times with questions I thought would be complicated but were not to them! I really appreciate this software and I really think my customers do again. I would recommend to anybody in the martial arts industry!

Cons
I couldn't think of anything in particular that I didn't like but if I had to say something it would be that I wish it would be more engaging with my actual website. The thing is that it probably can, I just don't know how to yet.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you Ricky!

Joey Jackson

Modern Interface with lots of flexibility

Reviewed 2020-02-20

The onboarding process was thorough. I did have to be persistent in explaining some needs that were different from what they expected.

Pros
This product can be customized in many ways to meet the specific operation of your business. The interface is slick looking and makes good use of screen real estate. The interface is fast and responsive. The universal search button lets you get to what you need quickly.

Cons
The mobile app features are quite lacking. Although it is customizable in most ways, there are some ways it is not, and when you mention these to support, they can't fathom why you'd want that. There is a feedback option to submit feature requests, and they always reply to them, but it seems the dev cycle is VERY long.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the good words, Joey!

Magda Hernandez

Reviewed 2020-03-03
Review Source: Software Advice

Customer support is why I'm writing this review. Everyone I have talked with has been so respectful, patient, professional and knowledgeable. Plus, quick to resolve any issue I was having.

Pros
The customer support that comes with the software is so essential. While there are many features, the customer support team helps to navigate through it all. One can tell this team is efficiently trained because they do not skip a beat when it comes to walking you through the system.

Cons
So many features can be overwhelming. The webinar offerings are a good idea to tackle that obstacle.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the review, Magda!

Raeleigh Harris

Outstanding back up support

Reviewed 2020-02-13

I am pleasantly surprised by the support in getting this all set up - great communication and very patient and informed team!

Pros
easy to use- straight forward set up lots of customizable options

Cons
like everything it takes a little while to get familiar - layout and set ups are different but this is not a negative it's just part of the process

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you Raeleigh, we'll pass your kind words to our support team!

Teagan Ketchum

Finally Found the Right System

Reviewed 2019-10-08

This software has made this much more simple and allowed us to enhance our customers experience in our facility!

Pros
-Set up was detailed step by step process and had video reviews that our staff could go back to -Customer service is the best that we have seen -Hotline always has a person you can talk to (have answered every question we have had and has taught us how to solve the problem should it ever come up again) - Hotline is available 7am-7pm -Email (you can send a detailed email and have it answered within one business day) - Our on-boarding assistant fallowed up with us after a month to make sure everything was running - Has easy quick reporting - Great schedule (imbeds into website so you do not have to leave company page) -Great point of sale (imbeds into website so you do not have to leave company page) - Mobil app is simple for customers and makes scheduling simple

Cons
online mobil site cannot work with out cookies which most smart phones automatically disable so we needed to send out an email with instructions on how to enable them

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the review, Teagan! We're glad you've found the right system for your business!

Kim Robins

You can't beat their support team!

Reviewed 2019-09-18

I am love the people at ZP. There isn't one person I've come in contact with that hasn't been helpful, positive, encouraging, understanding and cheerful. I went to their office because I was starting a new program and wanted help with the set up of the program and the membership. They set me up with one person to be my helper that day. Now what company will do that? I can tell you that no other software company I've used would've offered me that. Also, love the Zen Academy. I learned about so many more things the software could do for me that I wasn't either using or doing in a google spreadsheet . So now ZP is helping me save more precious time and I'm learning more about my business in the process. Thank you reports and automations!

Pros
Honestly, their customer support! However, I don't have to call often as the on boarding team set me up wonderfully to begin with. But the support articles answer almost all my questions so I don't have to call. I am a small studio and don't have a front desk staff but ZP does it all for me (well, allows my clients to do it all for me). It is super easy to use on all fronts.

Cons
I have't run into anything that I don't like. I use ZP on my laptop in a web browser and I've found it confusing to try the staff app on my phone or tablet. This old dog struggles with learning new tricks :) So we can't blame ZP for that.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for your feedback, Kim!

Beth Gold-Bernstein

Good Overall Studio Management Software

Reviewed 2019-07-10

The migration process was rocky. About 30% of the database has inaccuracies. They need to improve and automate this process. Tech support is excellent. Customer support was slow to resolve a billing issue I had. They refused to speak to me on the phone and did not return emails. But everything finally got straightened out with persistence on my part, and an effort to make up for the issue on their part. Overall, customer support is generally very good. The software works well, is not buggy. Overall, I really like the software except for the way purchasing works.

Pros
Reporting is excellent, the best I've seen. I like the fact you can create your own reports. After learning how to use the system we have been able to create any reports we need. That is definitely not the case for Mindbody or Wellness Living. The Kiosk application is nice to have and our clients like it, but needs some improvement. The Front Desk and Kiosk Applications are easy to learn which is helpful as we have 10 teachers at the center.

Cons
The POS system does not work like all other online systems (choose what you want, put in user info, payment info then press complete or check out and credit card is charged), and works differently in their different interfaces. The Front Desk software does not allow for discounts (that is being addresses in a future release). The Dashboard processes the sale, then you have to process the payment separately in a different step. In the beginning we lost sales because our staff was confused. Many of my teachers are still unsure whether a sale goes through or not. When the Front Desk application can accept accept discounts and credit card swipes it will greatly improve the POS process. The client kiosk does not include a form for entering info for new clients and signing a waiver. For some strange reason that is on the staff side of the application. We keep it on the staff application but it means after a client signs the waiver they could get to a screen that offers a free class, which we do not actually offer. I have a hard time understanding why that is baked into their software, it is not considered a best practice. We have found work arounds for these issues but would like to see an updated and more robust kiosk application. The automated emails are very good and it integrates with Mail Chimp. You can also implement a retention process with tasks assigned to different people.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the feedback, Beth!

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

drew spangler

easy to use to run my business for apointment settings

Reviewed 2019-07-19

this has done wonders for my business I dont need someone to confirm appointments

Pros
when setting apointments customers can do it online and it sends out confirmations and reminds of appointments so they have no excuse to not miss an appointment

Cons
could be cheaper per month. sometimes is slow but does the job

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the kind words, Drew!

Alyssa Royse

Best Customer Service On The Planet

Reviewed 2017-05-04

Sanity.

Pros
Zen Planner seamlessly integrates everything we need as a gym. Although there are still key features we would like, what is there works well and allows us to keep all customer data and interactions in one place, which makes our life easier. Perhaps most importantly, best customer service on the planet. No matter how small an issue, they respond immediately. And when we recently had an ENORMOUS problem, that was totally our fault, our rep worked on it over the weekend for us. He saved our sanity, and thousands of dollars. I can't imagine that kind of service anywhere else.

Cons
My only real gripes are things that don't exist and need to. I would like my members to be able to purchase retail items and check-in using their app. Both of these features exist in the staff app, but not the member app. Also, I would like an option to NOT have a gender field at registration. I find the gender binary pointless and it's offensive to our trans and nonconforming clients.

Paul Dyck

Happy to be back!

Reviewed 2019-03-28

The reintroduction to Zen planner has been great. I'm learning new things and I'm excited about the dashboard that will show me exactly what's going on every day at first glance. It's exciting that I can customize it as well! I can't say enough good things about my onboarding coach. She was and continues to be amazing support with Zen Planner. I appreciate all of her patience and genuine interest in helping me utilize the software to its​ maximum potential for my business. I'm looking forward to growing with Zen Planner

Pros
I left for about four years because I felt like the software was missing some integral parts for my business. Now I was needing something different and looked at Zen Planner again. The​ changes they have made over the past four years has been amazing. This is not a company that sits idle and is content with the status quo

Cons
The system is a little complex but I believe it's more to do with the novelty of it and all of its features.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you are enjoying the new features and updates!

Brian Kotoka

Great Fitness Specific Software

Reviewed 2019-11-07

Love it. Never going to leave them.

Pros
Cost for sure, ease of use, the user experience for client is also very simple.

Cons
I can't say there are any other "cons" - If i'm being nit picky they could give a bit more time towards automatic PDF invoices. Some of their invoicing procedures don't have a simple suer experience.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you so much for the review Brian, we really appreciate it!

Jayne Yemma

Great Software, Even Better Customer Support!

Reviewed 2019-05-30

If I ever have an issue with the software, or a question on how to do something (like create a custom report) the customer support is always outstanding.

Pros
I have been using Zen for 10 years. The program is so easy to use & I am always finding new things to do with it.

Cons
When creating reports for attendance or payment history for a client, I would love to have our business name show at the header.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you Jayne, we appreciate the kind words!

Alejandro Lopez

Awesome and they continue to work to add new and wanted fuctionality

Reviewed 2017-05-11

One stop shop for managing my business. Automation. And the ability to do a lot with little or no staff.

Pros
Easy to use, easy to manage. It has a great modern look and they don't try to bundle everything in one app. They have different apps for sing in, staff use, and member. I love the reports, and the face check in. Easy to find athletes by their face. Great for when you have new staff. It truly is a great bundle for workout tracking, integration with current website, and integration with marketing emails. All things other companies charge extra for. I would and have recommended this software to other gym and martial art owners.

Cons
The apps are great for managing but missing some fuctionality such as being able to schedule privates on the app. They where missing staff clicks in, retail sales but they have recently added those. Hard to find much I dislike and what I do they don't seem to be standing still, adding new function all the time.

Justin Okeson

Workhorse

Reviewed 2019-07-20

zenplanner does exactly what you need a CRM tool to do most, it manages your current customers. Sure it integrates well for other uses such as lead capture, retail purchases, payroll, etc. Bit what I love is that it never fails at what we really need it to do, allow our service to be used by our customers, collect payments and evaluate customer data, allowing us to retain more members.

Pros
Reporting capabilities are immense allowing us to evaluate our business’ performance metrics and understand exactly what to focus on improving. Customer service is the best out of any service our business uses.

Cons
It is very hard to learn how to use on your own. But, if you take the initiative to ask for help and training, the staff will teach you and save you hundreds of frustrating hours.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the good words, Justin!

Mary Ellen Cleary

Solid Product for Crossfit Gyms

Reviewed 2019-10-29

I do not use it for my business, but have used it as an avid fitness enthusiast for over 2 years. It is nice when gyms all over the country use this software. I can have multiple gym memberships under 1 zenplanner account and switch between them.

Pros
I have used this program at 3 crossfit facilities and have enjoyed it for viewing WODs, signing up for classes, and storing workout information and PRs. I enjoy the leaderboard feature and the support you can give your gym mates.

Cons
I wish you could add features like workout videos for various exercises that are scheduled. I find some gyms do not utilize all of the features correctly, and that can make the app rather pointless. If you are not using this app to sign up for classes, log workouts, not using the leader board feature, you really aren't getting your money's worth.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the review, Mary Ellen! We've recently integrated our software with SugarWOD to improve our WOD experience even more!

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Chris Acklan

Constantly surprises and improves

Reviewed 2019-05-31

Pros
The more I learn about this software (partly due to their fantastic customer help team) the more I love it and the more it gives me back time! I still think I have barely scratched the service In its capabalities and I'm excited to learn more.

Cons
There is a bit of a learning curve but thats the same for all software. The basics at first is all you will need.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks Chris, we think our support team is pretty fantastic too!

Juan Ignacio Calderon

Best Customer Service I ever experienced

Reviewed 2019-07-26

I run all my programs, classes and appointments. I also use it to bill my customers and record all my expenses. It is a perfect solution for a gym of sport facility, we are a fencing club with over 100 active members.

Pros
It covers all my needs, but the best part of it is the Customer Service. They helped me for every step over the implementation and they have always been available over the 3 years I have used the SW to solve all my questions. It is not only about issues but also about functionality questions. They are super friendly and useful.

Cons
The SW is very good, sometimes I would have preferred a few things to be organized differently but it is not a good deal.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the review, Juan! We'll be sure to pass along your kind words to our customer service team.

PENNY KING

ABOUT ZENPLANNER

Reviewed 2019-08-13

THEY HAVE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT CAN SOLVE BASICALLY ANY PROBLEM WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE SOFTWARE. THEY ARE ALWAYS AVAILABLE WHEN YOU NEED THEM AND SO HELPFUL.

Pros
THAT IT MAKES MY JOB EASIER BY AUTOMATING PROCESSES

Cons
DOESN'T HAVE ALL THE FEATURES I NEED. ALSO TOO HARD TO LEARN ALL THE FEATURES SO I'M NOT MAXIMIZING IT'S FEATURES. THERE ARE LIMITED ON BOARDING SESSIONS SO WHEN THEY STOPPED, SO DID MY LEARNING

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you, Penny! We think our customer service team is pretty great as well!

Colin Darling

Solid software, great support.

Reviewed 2019-04-07

Zen Planner takes care of our membership tracking, payments, scheduling. It can be a powerful tool if you know how to use it.

Pros
We've used Zen Planner in our gym for six years, and it's been pretty uneventful overall - which is what you want with such software. It does its job with a minimum of drama. Any issues we've had have been dealt with in a timely fashion. We do not use the workout programming feature (we went with SugarWOD for that), so I can't comment on that particular feature.

Cons
Zen Planner is good about making constant improvements, but there have been some things over the years that are a bit clunky and not necessarily intuitive to use. It's likely a function of building incremental improvements into existing software rather than starting with a clean slate.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the feedback, Colin!