SmartRecruiters Reviews

SmartRecruiters

Top rated ATS and recruiting software

4.24/5 (116 reviews)

Pros
  • We ended up moving to another vendor, which I am much more impressed with. Smartrecruiters is good for a basic job posting system, but beyond that, it is clearly lacking.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • I was very happy with SmartRecruiters. When I have roles to fill on my team, I'm eager to use it more.Andy K.Read the full review
  • Being able to review candidates, add a grading/rating, pass to another reviewer or back to the HR team were all really great features and super easy to pickup with no training whatsoever.Andy K.Read the full review
Cons
  • We have had problems where mails were not received by candidates, if this was sent from the system directly, but the support team fixed these errors.Karien v.Read the full review
  • Smartrecruiters is a forward-thinking platform that neglects the fundamentals of recruiting needs.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • The lack of reporting and pipelining of candidates.Jonathan M.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Joanna Bergeron

A collaborative platform that is advancing our talent acquisition strategy

Reviewed 2018-03-29

Pros
simplicity of interface, enabling collaboration of hiring managers, open APIs to integrate with other platforms, likeness to other social tools that enables ease of use and adoption, and ability to customize and create platform adjustments without change ticket costs or depending on the ATS provider to make the changes.

Cons
Our HCM solution has an ATS that we chose not to leverage because features were behind SmartRecruiters - yet, we have to build integrations for solutions that integrate with HCM

I love Smartrecruiters!

Reviewed 2020-03-26

I helped implement and get Smartrecruiters going. There is so much to learn and discover, but once you get the hang of it, it's very straightforward.

Pros
Smartrecruiters provides the best experience for a recruiter. It is so easy to use the website and provides you with a quick snapshot of where candidates are at in the interview process. It makes scheduling and creating interviews so easy with their calendar integration. There is also awesome integration with Docusign to make signing and completing offer letters so easy for candidates.

Cons
There needs to be some improvement with the self-scheduling feature within Smartrecruiters, but overall, it has been such a great experience.

Matthew Clark

Smart Recruiters is, as a whole, a fantastic company/software. That sums in my thoughts.

Reviewed 2018-03-21

The intuitiveness /usability of the system is a huge benefit. We're able to move candidates through the process very easily. A complaint though, the included job aggregators are pretty irrelevant

Pros
The BEST piece about this software is the fact that new features (taken from the community of SR users) are constantly being developed and we get monthly releases. Obviously, the user interface is very intuitive and easy to teach new managers. We just completely overhauled our entire Recruiting process, and the easiest part of that herculean effort was changing the process in SR.

Cons
Notifications are kind of a bugger. There's a feature that allows constant notifications, but the only person that can get those constant notification is the hiring manager. Why not the Recruiter too? Recruiters at my company live in this system day in and day out, hiring managers hop in and out as needed, so we're the ones that need the notification (along with the hiring managers).

Rachel McKinley

Highly Recommend SmartRecruiters!

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2020-03-26

Using SmartRecruiters was a great experience considering how easy it was to use, and it was easy for other departments to be engaged using this platform. We recently transitioned into a different recruiting software due to an acquisition, but our team still continues to rave about how awesome SmartRecruiters was to use!

Pros
The best part about using SmartRecruiters is that it had a smooth layout that was appealing to use! My team always had great customer service, it was very user-friendly.

Cons
Sometimes the webpage would be down, which caused issues for applicants applying, but typically this issue was resolved fairly quickly.

Reviewed 2018-03-23

A functional ATS that integrates with our other software and timely customer support.

Pros
I like the ease of sharing candidate and job info with internal employees and the simplicity of storing and updating all data within the system. Smartrecruiters integrates well with our other software and is an effective "one-stop shop" for our recruiting process.

Cons
The "open" nature of the software and the inability to customize manager and interviewers' visibility into the recruiting process. Anyone attached to the hiring team can see confidential candidate data (such as salary requirements and the results of screening investigations), as well as emails between recruiters and candidates which is extremely problematic. It is also not a functional tool for reviewing candidates- you constantly have to restart the process because of how the software redirects when you are dispositioning people and it requires too many clicks and opening of new tabs to be an efficient process. Scheduling is simple but making edits to interviews is very manual and time-consuming-- the software really misses the basic functions that makes an ATS usable and helpful to the recruiting process.

Response from SmartRecruiters

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your candid feedback. Regarding the inability to customize manager and interviewers' visibility into the recruiting process: our Spring 2018 enhancements include many changes regarding this issue. Admins can now create up to 5 custom system roles, and configure each custom role's access and permissions with high granularity in three general areas: access to 'Configuration' and Admin settings, access to 'Analytics' (and reporting), access to 'Jobs & Candidates'. The Analytics and Jobs & Candidates areas are further broken down into product areas: company settings, compliance reports, analytics, report builder, create a job, hiring team, access all jobs, access group.
For each area, Admins can assign a specific level of access to each custom role: 'no', 'view only', 'limited' and 'full access'. There is much more information available in the help center and especially the page regarding the Spring 2018 enhancements. I hope this helps!

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Stephanie Opoku, SHRM-CP

This ATS has streamlined our recruiting process and allowed us to manage everything in one place

Reviewed 2018-04-05

More efficient process and less time spent having to account for data and manage a spreadsheet of candidates.

Pros
It's very user-friendly and has a social media look and feel to it so most people can relate to the functionality.

Cons
When I export certain reports into excel, they don't always come out clean and I have to do a lot of deleted and un-merging of cells, but once I get that done, the data is very useful.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Madlin Sattler

Handling approx. 30 job pipelines simultaneously is fairly simple with SmartRecruiters.

Reviewed 2018-03-26

Moving the organization around the recruitment process in one tool, communicating with the hiring team on a candidate's profile and setting it as private notes has been of great value. Also the cost per hire becomes more and more attractive even though many websites we publish job ads are not yet integrated. The analytic section however, is very helpful indeed and most of the times shows accurate data.

Pros
Inviting a whole hiring team, scheduling interviews in the tool, comparing candidates based on a score card.

Cons
Missing an option to upload files to a job pipeline, missing search filters in the PEOPLE tab which seem so obvious but aren't there. These two things make the handling of 100+ candidate difficult.

Response from SmartRecruiters

Dear Madlin,
Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your candid feedback.
Regarding your inquiry about search filters, there are many possible search filters in the people tab, and you can even combine them. You can filter candidates by location, proximity to the location, title, status, candidate groups (active, past, leads, referrals, internal), the type of candidate (employee, recently viewed, deferred, pending rejection message) the source, tags, `applied to¿, the application field, the recruiter, the created date, rating, company, school/university, rejection reason, withdrawal reason. If you feel like the current filters do not satisfy your needs, do tell us as we take your feedback very seriously. As far as adding files to a job pipeline is concerned, file uploads can only be made to a candidate profile. I hope this helps!

Scott Entwistle

Perspective from an agency

Reviewed 2018-10-10

As a recruiter it's made my life a bit easier with submissions, but other than that it didn't do much for me. However as an external user of it, that's not all that surprising.

Pros
I like that SmartRecruiters gives me one place to login to work on reqs for a particular client. They can add and remove me as they need to, and being able to submit resumes there directly into their process is nice.

Cons
My clients didn't particularly love the software, and the look of it is a bit dated. Other than submitting resumes to make sure they're in the right bucket, I don't get any other use out of it. The resume parsing is OK, not great. It gets mostly the name and everything right, but often times messes up the paragraphs in the experience section.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Michael Foster

Great ATS with Built-In CRM Software

Reviewed 2019-10-30

Pros
The software is user friendly, is extremely candidate driven, and allows for all necessary features. We have thoroughly enjoyed using this product as our sole ATS to move candidates through our recruiting process

Cons
It hasn't integrated with my other software, but with homegrown software I have come to expect that.

Sarah Engle

Reviewed 2019-12-03

Pros
As a new manager, I find SmartRecruiters an easy system to use to research and contact applicants. I like that applicants can post multiple resources to their profile and I can easily access them (there's no need for me to save their resume on my computer). It's also fantastic that I can send them messages through the platform and keep a record of their responses that I can access on the site itself.

Cons
As of right now, there's not a hiring need that I have that SmartRecruiters has been able to fill. Perhaps if there were video or chat recording software that could help me code responses... then that could be amazing!

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Anonymous

ATS that allows you to keep on track with your hiring at ease

Reviewed 2018-06-22

all recruitment processes kept in one place

Pros
I can manage all of my hiring projects in one place, different levels of collaboration, integration with a huge variaties of job boards, easily customisable. you can create all types of templates for different flows from rejection emails, to offer emails. integrates with other systems like video interviews or assessments which creates a smooth and easy flow. they are now introducing a new feature - an AI assistant and that should be a massive addition to the functionality - the system will now be able match your JD with the most suitable candidates

Cons
it might feel a bit overwhelming with a lot of features that you don't necessarily use. there's lots of functionality which is great for bigger companies but which I personally don't use and they sometimes slow me down, though I totally understand the necessity of those. I'm lacking notifications to respond to the candidates if I haven't been in touch with them for a while

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Great value!

Reviewed 2018-11-27

Pros
When I discovered SmartRecruiters I worked for a smaller mom and pop business. We didn't have a prior application tracking system. This product significantly improved our processes. It allowed us to post positions easily and manage our applications and share applications to other users. It was easy to set up and to post once and distribute these postings to the job aggregators we chose. The support team was very friendly and trained us. As we expanded our business this software kept up. I highly recommend trying it. We were able to improve our KPI with time to fill.

Cons
I really don't have many cons system. I really enjoyed using this software.

Anonymous

Excellence, always upgrades, meets my needs

Reviewed 2018-03-28

SmartRecruiters worked exceptionally well for our company and our needs. As a newly created HR department, SmartRecruiters was able to help us become more efficient in hiring and tracking our applicants--while remaining user-friendly and effective.

Pros
I am able to work as the only recruiter for our 160 EE company. Without it, we would not have been able to provide the high level of satisfaction to our candidates and new hires.

Cons
Not very Canadian friendly for extras such as paid postings, assessment tools, screening. Would like better onboarding. Can be a bit frustrating for candidates

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Anonymous

SmartRecruiters is innovative, mobile friendly, social media integrated game changer!

Reviewed 2018-03-30

The number of applicants received has doubled over the previous year (prior to switching to SmartRecruiters). The candidate experience has vastly improved due to social integration and mobile friendly use.

Pros
I like the ease of use for candidates and users alike. Social media integration, hiring team collaboration, and customizable applications enhance the candidate experience. SmartRecruiters Hiring App is perfect for on the go candidate review, messaging, and calling. Job postings are easy and automatically push out to multiple job boards.

Cons
The marketplace is great for integrated add-ons including assessments, reference checks, and background checks. However there are additional costs for the add-ons.

Lisa McIntosh

Every Recruiter or HR person should try SmartRecruiters!

Reviewed 2015-04-23
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
The SmartRecruiters platform is seamless. I love that I can create a job posting and post it to a host of job boards, then pay for it in one simple step. SmartRecruiters will also post the job on a host of free sites. Our hiring Managers can access the system easily with minimal training. Candidates can apply quickly via their mobile devices and it is simple which attracts more candidates. If I ever have a question, their priority support responds immediately and resolves any issues. Bottom line is SmartRecruiters saves me time and money and makes my job easier.

Cons
Nothing. The team at SR listen to my needs as a customer and work to give a solution for all customers. The system has only been even more perfected over time.

Anonymous

I love this platform! it allows me to track my recruiting process and find the best match!

Reviewed 2018-03-28

As I told before, I can track my recruiting process including customer and candidate feedback, in a very easy way.

Pros
I like the availability of tags and notes to find candidates based on specific words. I can manage candidates that are in active search but not assigned to processes, and match them based on their skills.

Cons
The free version is great as it is, but if I 'd like to migrate, it would be too expensive if I compare con local suppliers that offers similar options.

Deirdre Jennings-Holton

Responsive, knowledgeable customer service and easy to use product.

Reviewed 2018-03-28

Value for money. Increased coordination within hiring teams. Detailed information on candidates. Ability to quickly review and respond to all a high volume of candidates.

Pros
Easy to configure and use. Extensive training isn't needed to get up and running. For those who require it, there are online tutorials for every part of the system.

Cons
Candidate search functionality isn't very robust. It is limited to predefined fields (e.g., location, degree, etc.) instead of allowing customer to define the fields from the candidate profile to use for searching and sorting (e.g., technical expertise, field of study, industry-specific terms, etc.).

Deanna Tran

This is the most user-friendly and efficient recruiting platform ever

Reviewed 2018-03-21

- ability to get managers to participate in sourcing - easy candidate management - publishing jobs to numerous job posting sites espacielly the major ones

Pros
- User friendliness - extremely high quality, efficient and fast customer service - constant improvements and new smart functionnalities without disrupting daily usage or minimal disruption

Cons
Nothing to say. The market is very competitive now with all the AI. With a lot of hope, SmartRecruiters is agile!

Jennifer Patterson

This ATS makes it easy to organize candidates through the process and make notes.

Reviewed 2018-03-21

It makes it so easy to track and organize applicants in one spot. It also allows other members of the team to pick up where one person has left off.

Pros
I love the easy of use with SmartRecruiters. It makes it easy to post jobs, move candidates through the process, and save notes for future reference.

Cons
If people apply for multiple jobs over years or months, SmartRecruiters does differentiate between resumes or other uploads.

Anonymous

I have a great experience, makes easy and faster my daily work

Reviewed 2018-03-26

Pros
I like the way you can do the whole recruiter process, make notes and share with coworkers everything about candidates and how you can use the analytics to have a better view of the results in every process.

Cons
I like everything, I think there is nothing to improve for now, but maybe would be nice if the administrator is able to delete other users when they are not in the company anymore.

Exceptional Product, and Leading ATS

Reviewed 2018-01-12

Pros
Feature-rich but delightfully simple, SmartRecruiters was built with the hiring manager and candidate in mind. SmartRecruiters has redefined how we invite talent into the organization and has made a significant impact on our Company's success.

Cons
With rapid and high volume hiring across multiple locations in similar roles, it can be a challenge to mass-modify job postings.

Sam Tavarez

SmartRecruiters makes it easy to have control of our application flow.

Reviewed 2018-03-23

Organization and easy communication.

Pros
Easy communication with hiring managers. Great tool to stay organized. What I like most is being able to interact with an applicant in a timely manner and being able to communicate with them wherever I am.

Cons
Would love the platform more if I could streamline basic tasks: setting follow up reminders with applicants, reminders for hiring managers, etc. I would like to be able to keep the same message thread when having conversations with an applicant, instead of having to go back and forth from my email.

Syed Yaseen Ahmed

It has been very useful in posting the jobs over different platforms from SmartRecruiters. Easy 2Use

Reviewed 2018-03-28

Pros
Sharing the jobs to different job boards in one click. Rating the candidates, saving the notes for future reference.

Cons
Earlier I was able to post n number of positions, but no it has been reduced to 10 which I did not like. The adding of location is been very complicated now. Please change it as it was earlier! Eles it the best out in the market :)

Sarah Rowan

Used this for our company applicant site and to post our career opportunities

Reviewed 2018-07-04

Pros
It was originally a free site which we used to post career opportunities and application site. The system was easy to navigate and to search for candidates.

Cons
It didn't offer a variety of features at the time we needed and we changed sites because we needed a system to integrate with our onboarding and payroll program

Hussain Ahmad

It’s promising product but raising subscription fee abnormally

Reviewed 2018-08-17
Review Source: Software Advice

Should introduce economical packages for SMEs

Pros
Reliable and ease of use stands at the top. Job boards are very effective and we get quality resume.

Cons
It’s started as free app with all the features. The promise of SR was it will remain free. Though it’s still free but full functionality admin controls are now restricted to pod users