Smokeball Logo
Smokeball

All-in-one legal platform to boost revenue and productivity.

visit website

Smokeball Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.2/10

Reviews by rating

I love the ease of use and the ability to always have access to documents even after they are deleted.
As a sole practitioner I need software that helps keeping my files and billing organized. I have used Smokeball for a few years now and I really appreciate the ease of use and friendly, helpful staff.
Now I completely love that there are a lot of components to it. I absolutely love that SB is integrated with Outlook to save emails right to the client matter, this way I never forget to save them.
Missing deadlines while using this program are hard to come by.
Sometimes It can be slow to operate and the interface annoying.
Lack of notification about the messages inside the network.

JG

Jennifer G.

Partner

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Smokeball makes managing a legal practice simple.

Jennifer, thanks so much for your 5-star review and recommendation. We're thrilled that Smokeball has made your daily practice so much easier and streamlined. Also happy to hear that you utilize our ongoing feature updates and integrations. We're always here for you!

Sarah O.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Allows for easy systemization saves time increased profit

Smokeball is an excellent system that has allowed me to streamline my Estate Planning and Elder Law practice. They systems I have put in place through smokeball have allowed me to increase profit in each practice area. And my team can sleep well at night knowing things won't get missed or fall through the cracks.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to implement. Customer service is excellent they are always willing to improve their product and help with issues and questions. We have systemized every practice area so we don't forget steps and can sleep at night knowing the system has our back.

Cons

hybrid cloud and desktop was helpful in the beginning. It is nice to work when not online, however it slows the system a little and going completely cloud based would probably remedy that issue.

JH

Joseph H.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Smokeball has made a lasting impact

Overall, Smokeball has been a great addition to our firm and we thoroughly like it more than our previous case management software.

Pros

What I like most about Smokeball is that it is a user-friendly case management software that helps streamline workflow by integrating various interfaces, which significantly increases work productivity. Moreover, the automatics time tracking insures that I am making the most out of every document I draft, review, and revise.

Cons

The one thing I do not like about Smokeball is the timeframe it would take for their support team to create our templates into forms. Accordingly, my colleagues and I have had to divert billable time to create these "form" documents so that it further streamlines work productivity. Moreover, creating a "form" document is too simplified when certain forms require more complex coding.

We're so glad that our user-friendly automatic time tracking, workflows, and document automation are helping you be organized and productive. We appreciate your feedback around the timeline for templates. We're working to decrease the turn-around times on these. Thanks for your review, Joseph!

LP

Lee P.

Law Practice, self-employed

Smokeball does not have legal forms as advertised; and does not interact with G calendar

I foolishly jumped in and signed up for a one-year deal with Smokeball. After I explained the shortcomings of their product and my need to buy additional software to make their software work, I asked to be released from my one year contract. Somkeball denied the request. I would strongly look for a product that is less expensive and has some type of money back guarantee.

Pros

The staff is friendly and tries to assist.

Cons

I bought the software for the forms library that you could use in your practice. I am a small practitioner in Oklahoma. However, the forms library for Oklahoma, and most states, is non-existent. Smokeball costs more than other practice software packages. I purchased it for these forms, but had to buy forms elsewhere. Smokeball does not interact with Google products including Google calendar even with work-arounds. My work was all automated through Google calendar. I worked with trying to use the work-around recommended, but none worked. To use Smokeball, I would have had to buy additional soft-ware. This made the one stop shop advertised by Smokeball not work for me at all.

I'm incredibly sorry to hear this, but want to clarify two points for any likeminded readers here: (1) It is true that we have more forms in some states than others. That's due to how many active users we have in each state; obviously as we grow in some states we add more forms. When users, say in Oklahoma, sign up and see that they need more forms, they can request that our dedicated Content team...

JG

Jennifer G.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Smokeball makes practice management easy

They have great customer service, each time a new feature comes out they help with acclimation, and they are big enough that they have integrations with basically all components of legal practice, which makes the software even more valuable, and true practice management.

Pros

We started using smokeball many years ago when they had less integrations, but it was great for keeping all client documents in once central place, and for document automation. Now they have integrations with many other products we use, like Chicago Title, Court filings, billing, which make the software even more useful. The interface is really easy to use and did not have much of a learning curve

Cons

The billing software is not super intuitive. I also do not like that the price keeps increasing.

Thanks for your review, Jennifer. We're so glad that Smokeball is making your work life easier and more efficient. We're always here for you!

KD

Kristi D.

Best Legal Practice Software

Smokeball has been the best lawfirm software yet! We have gone through 3 others and finally found the one! It has everything and is easy to navigate. All of our files are stored online making it easy to work anywhere. I highly recommend!

Pros

All of our files are stored online making it easy to work anywhere. Form automation, court rules integration.

Cons

whenever we dislike something or want something to add to our program they typically implement it at some point with updates.

Kristi, so glad to hear that Smokeball is making your work easier and more integrated. Thanks for your 5-star review!

NB

Nadine B.

Best Software for Legal Document Management

I have nothing but great things to say about Smokeball. It has made the practice of law easier than its ever been.

Pros

I've been waiting for a document management program like Smokeball my entire legal career! I liked many things about Smokeball, but in particular is the ease of use and variety of features.

Cons

It takes a bit of time to load when first powering up in the morning.

Nadine, it's so awesome to hear that Smokeball was the solution you were seeking your whole career! Glad you're finding it easy to use. Thanks for the feedback on the slow load time. We're working on updates to address this, which should be released early next year.

Jessica F.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

The BEST software for small firms

We have two offices that are 200 miles apart, so the Communicate and Task features help us stay connected and working as a team. Our efficiency has grown, as well as the ability to keep up with retainer replenishments.

Pros

Smokeball is the best case management and billing software I've used during my 6 years as a paralegal. I am with a small firm, and my time is extremely important, so the AutoTime feature is my absolutely favorite part about Smokeball. It has saved me countless hours on billing.

Cons

The mobile app does not track your time, so we don't use it often. We have been told that Smokeball is working on that feature.

SS

Samantha S.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Smokeball is smokin its competition.

My overall experience with Smokeball is rated a 10/10.

Pros

I love the functionality of Smokeball. It's so easy to use. The customer service is so helpful and quick to respond.

Cons

I'd like a better integration with Quickbooks.

So glad that Smokeball's easy-to-use functionality is helping you excel Samantha. We'll reach out to get more details on what you'd like to see in our QuickBooks integration. Thanks for your 5-star review!

Spensyr Ann K.

I am a happy Associate!

This is by far the easiest to use platform with the most robust time capturing options that I have ever used!

Pros

What a time saver! Smokeball is by far the easiest to use matter management and timekeeping platform I have used in my career. As an associate I really appreciate all the bells and whistles I can access that make the admin portions of my work (especially timekeeping) so much easier! This is a huge benefit to me, the firm, and our clients! And I can access it on my iPhone in a pinch!

Cons

I only wish the automatic time capturing also captured my time spent in research online and in Lexis! Then practice life would be such a breeze!

Patricia V.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

So happy I made the switch

They made it easy to migrate from our other system despite the lack of cooperation from Abacus. They train the staff and make sure that we are aware of all features. Our productivity has increased significantly since leaving Abacus.

Pros

It automatically tracks your time and gives you time report through email. It is easy to link to your emails in the matters. You are able to customize workflows and documents. It integrates with Zoom and ring central. I am so happy that I changed to Smokeball

Cons

No cons to date. This product is easy to use and easy to learn. They are responsive when we have questions about the product.

Thanks for your feedback, Patricia. Feel free to reach out if you need anything!

JH

James H.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Great platform, great Outlook email syncing, just no ability to automatically monthly invoice.

My experience with Smokeball was great. If Smokeball had the features I needed that MyCase had, I would have stayed with Smokeball. I liked the look of Smokeball better.

Pros

It was very user friendly and looked easy to use. Very customizeable. The Email syncing feature is great if you use Outlook. You can not only send emails when you're logged-in to Smokeball (which connects the email to the matter), but you can also send emails out of Outlook and you can click on a button on the bottom of the email screen and connect that incoming/outgoing email to a Smokeball matter. Can create custom fields. Can set-up intake forms with fields, that can be sent to the potential client for them to fill-in that automatically in-loads to their contact info in Smokeball.

Cons

Not able to set-up automatic repeat invoicing. If you have a client (such as a criminal defense client that needs to make monthly payments and want to, when you're setting up the client's case, set-up future invoices to go out to the client for them to be able to pay on-line, Smokeball can't accomplish this. The only platform I found that was able to do that is MyCase. This is a lifesaver for my criminal-defense firm. It only syncs with Outlook and not Gmail.

Thanks for your review, James. We are constantly looking for ways to improve the user experience with our software, so this feedback is very much appreciated.

SF

Sarah F.

Fantastic CRM

Awesome!

Pros

The tech support is spot-on and extremely reliable. The integration of Word & Outlook is very user-friendly. I became very familiar with the Automation, so I was able to modify my own forms very easily. The only downside to the software is that it is expensive and the price rises each year. The price goes up because there are so many new features that are added each year. We don't use most of the new features because our firm doesn't use many of the features for our area of law. The software that I do use is very reliable.

AC

Amber C.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Great time tracking, billing and case management system

I have been extremely happy with the move to Smokeball over a year ago. My billing has increased and the usage of the system helps me coordinate and keep up with my case load.

Pros

The time tracking and integration with MS Outlook and Word.

Cons

The start up of the program takes a little bit.

CW

Carrie W.

Smokeball is a Keeper.

Very positive. The software works and whenever there is even a small glitch, the Smokeball team is quick to fix the issue.

Pros

Ease of access across multiple devices. Ability to interface with staff to keep work product flowing.

Cons

Internet based, so if the Internet is down, we cannot work.

AF

Alan F.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

If you are serious about case management, and wanted a billing program, that will blow your mind!

Fantastic!

Pros

Smokeball ability to track all of my activities throughout the day is a game changer. When they tell you it will pay for itself, they are not kidding. But they don’t tell you is how Smokeball intelligently generates to-the-second-accurate billing entries without the need for additional data entry.

Cons

I haven't found a feature that I do not like, but I have one client who doesn't want to use the communication portal, and an occasional opposing counsel who needs some assistance, accessing files set through the portal

Alan, thanks so much for your glowing review. We're thrilled you agree that Smokeball is a game changer that pays for itself. If you ever have feedback, please share with your account manager!

NH

Natasha H.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Great product but still lacking in essential features!

I have really enjoyed using this product and a have been a strong advocate from day one; however, I am concerned that they have not fixed this problem and I do not have the one capability that I need which is being able to get my emails and task while I’m in the car.

Pros

This software is easy to use and all of my staff love it! It improves our workflow, makes us more efficient and makes every day more enjoyable!

Cons

This software is lacking in one essential area – – you are unable to get your emails and task while on the go on your phone. I was told this app and feature works when I signed up for three years only to find out later that it does not work and the calendar is not very good either

JT

Jennifer T.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Great for small law firms

We've gotten more efficient and better at communications and organization. We can offer clients a better overall experience.

Pros

Smokeball really changed how our small firm runs. We are much more organized and efficient than ever before. Smokeball tech support is readily available and fantastic. There is so much functionality to what this software can do.

Cons

The only drawback is that if you sign your contract with a certain number of users, you can't drop below that number for that year. As a small business that grows and changes frequently, it's hard to know that if we happen to have 5 users when we sign our annual contract, we're paying for 5 users all year, even if we go down to 4 users or 3 users, etc.

LL

Letisha L.

Law Practice, self-employed

Excellent product!

Implementation was super smooth and the support people are so responsive and helpful. It's amazing!

Pros

Smokeball is great because of it's auto document generation, billing integration, calendaring and tasking system, calendar integration, email integration, document version tracking, and work flow set ups.

Cons

The cost is high but that's really to be expected with how much you are getting out of this software.

Thanks for the review, Letisha.

SS

Sidney S.

Smokeball

Awesome!!

Pros

The is software is extremely user friendly. It saves a ton of time with templates for documents you regularly draft. Also, the absolute best part is the app you can download on smartphone which lets you access your files anywhere and anytime.

Cons

Honestly nothing. Smokeball is a huge time saver and I am so glad our firm did the switch.

SE

Sara E.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Very adaptable and overall excellent legal case management system

Excellent. Support and account managers are always very responsive and helpful.

Pros

Customization, document automation, many features I haven’t fully explored. Syncing and integrations with other software.

Cons

Not sure if it’s a Smokeball issue but have had issues with the outlook add-in at times. Would be nice if software would also integrate with g-suite.

Thank you for the review, Sara! Feel free to reach out and let us know if you need anything.

GD

Gitanjali D.

Financing Scam

They appear to have changed their business model from one that provides software to once that makes money off "lending money." The first account managers were amazing. Once we transferred all of our stuff and got used to the software. They started asking us for 3-5 year contracts paid up front with personal guarantors under the guise of them having to finance the contract. In other words even if you stop using their service you will personally have to still keep paying. They appear to have changed their business model from one that provides software to once that makes money off "lending money." Beware. I would stay away especially if you are a small firm.

Pros

User interface, Ease of Use, Accessibility

Cons

Customer support is lacking. Incompatible with VPN and other security software. They seem unconcerned about security issues that result. Fixing invoices is problematic.

Thanks for being a client and leaving a review, Deb. Obviously hearing anything fall through the cracks is difficult to hear, and we'd love to work with you offline to regain your confidence. Until then, though, I can clear up your two primary concerns: (1) Security is our #1 priority. It's why all of our software, migrations, and transactions surpass bank-level security. Our secure AWS cloud...

KL

Kaley L.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Invest in this software!!

Smokeball is our on stop shop for case management... it is so organized and helps us streamline our case management. I love using it to broadly track a case as well as using it to get into more intricate details such as medical provider logs or insurance company information.

Pros

Smokeball makes our case management so efficient and effective through its many integrations (Docusign, Microsoft Word, YoCierge etc.)! It is easy to keep organized while tracking all of the case notes help us be as thorough as possible when working in the files.

Cons

I am eagerly waiting for an intake feature to be added to Smokeball. Otherwise, I do not have any complaints aside from typical software issues, but I understand that SB is in beta and always being improved.

Thanks for your 5-star review, Kaley. It sounds like Smokeball has helped your firm be more organized and productive while providing a high-level view but access to all the information you need. And I'm thrilled to share that client intake is now live! Here's an overview with links to some "getting started" articles: https://community.smokeball.com/product-updates/what-s-new-client-matter-intake-and-cloud-based-companion-app-956

DD

Dean D.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Great system for big or small

One of the most impressive items is that we can answer a call from a client whether it is our matter or not, we can communicate with our client giving them what they called for without delay. We have had other firms ask what we use as they were impressed with are detailed fast response.

Pros

We are a law firm in the Chicagoland area, it is such a relief to have all of our communications and files in one location so that all of us can share the data at any time. Having the court forms at our finger tips, not having to go to each county is such a time saver. We have only scratched the surface using the many efficiency's that are offered.

Cons

Sometimes, when the documents are populating they could load just a tad quicker.

LM

Leigh M.

Smokeball Makes My Work Life Easy

I cannot say enough good things about the customer service. The representatives are very knowledgeable about the product and extremely responsive to their customers’ need. Several times, when there wasn’t a solution to my issue, they submitted a work ticket and “created” the solution.

Pros

Our office (small family law firm) loves Smokeball! As a paralegal, my favorite features are the form automation, automatic time tracking and billing entries, the integration with my calendar, file management, and my absolute favorites - the Tasks and Daily Digest Pane features. Attorneys can assign tasks to other members of their teams, which can then be broken down into subtasks to create simple to-do lists. The Daily Digest Pane displays your schedule for the day, making it so easy to track your current and upcoming tasks in a quick glance. I also love the feature that allows you to search for specific words within saved documents (not just words in document titles).

Cons

I love the secure link feature that allows you to send documents to external parties. However, while it's easy on my end, the recipients routinely call me for help and instructions because they can't figure out how to access the documents.

JS

Jill S.

Recommendations for Smokeball

Smokeball has brought our files and materials together in one place. Attorney A doesn't keep his files in one place, then Attorney B keeps them in another. They are all accessible to everyone in the office, no matter is they are working in-house, at home or in court.

Pros

The administrative assistant staffing was definitely frustrated in the beginning of using Smokeball. After using it for 2+ years, the staff will fight to keep it. Access of files and documents from attorney to attorney and staff to staff is so convenient. Documents, notes, calendars, etc. are all kept in one area, which saves going from one program to another to access documents and calendars.

Cons

The setup of getting all office files installed took awhile for us to set up. Also, we don't use many of the templates that Smokeball offers. Another con is that some of our users are unwilling to learn Smokeball even though they have been offered training and Smokeball is very willing to train.