Smokeball Reviews

Smokeball

Legal productivity software for small law firms.

Smokeball

Review Summary

Sharon J.

It is quite easy to save emails and documents to various clients and to search matters quickly. I like that I can pull up documents while on the phone with clients.

Edward C M.

Cons

My only complaint would be price, but that is really a nominal complaint.

Theodore A.

4.7

I can't live without it.

The best.

Pros

There is nothing I don't love about this software. My first cloud-based firm management system went unsupported after a couple of years, and I could understand why. I stumbled on Smokeball (an excellent, perfectly persistent and not annoying sales rep), and I have never looked back. The AI for time and billing is exceptional; the choices made when partnering with services are well-considered and launched, and the customer service is fabulous. And they keep making integration and start-up even simpler.

Cons

There is genuinely nothing I don't like about the software. I suppose, in an ideal world, there would be a partnership with Westlaw, but that's not a criticism.

Fantastic CRM

Awesome!

Pros

The tech support is spot-on and extremely reliable. The integration of Word & Outlook is very user-friendly. I became very familiar with the Automation, so I was able to modify my own forms very easily. The only downside to the software is that it is expensive and the price rises each year. The price goes up because there are so many new features that are added each year. We don't use most of the new features because our firm doesn't use many of the features for our area of law. The software that I do use is very reliable.

Cons

Smokeball does not have legal forms as advertised; and does not interact with G calendar

I foolishly jumped in and signed up for a one-year deal with Smokeball. After I explained the shortcomings of their product and my need to buy additional software to make their software work, I asked to be released from my one year contract. Somkeball denied the request. I would strongly look for a product that is less expensive and has some type of money back guarantee.

Pros

The staff is friendly and tries to assist.

Cons

I bought the software for the forms library that you could use in your practice. I am a small practitioner in Oklahoma. However, the forms library for Oklahoma, and most states, is non-existent. Smokeball costs more than other practice software packages. I purchased it for these forms, but had to buy forms elsewhere. Smokeball does not interact with Google products including Google calendar even with work-arounds. My work was all automated through Google calendar. I worked with trying to use the work-around recommended, but none worked. To use Smokeball, I would have had to buy additional soft-ware. This made the one stop shop advertised by Smokeball not work for me at all.

I'm incredibly sorry to hear this, but want to clarify two points for any likeminded readers here: (1) It is true that we have more forms in some states than others. That's due to how many active users we have in each state; obviously as we grow in some states we add more forms. When users, say in Oklahoma, sign up and see that they need more forms, they can request that our dedicated Content team...

Smokeball is great

Pros

It’s robust and had a lot of tools to help manage your law office from automated forms to billing to filing

Cons

In the automation screen I would like a search button so I can’t watch for the input would like to add

Thank you for the glowing review! I'll forward your question to our development team to see what we can do about making the interface even more useful in the future.

GREAT product with ease of use!!

Overall, it's been great! Such an easy program to use and very thorough!

Pros

The ease of use is awesome! Document automation is also great!! It's easy to track nearly everything. In essence, it does the job and more!

Cons

It's difficult to switch from Plaintiff to Defendant if you open a case the wrong way, especially if you already have a lot of information in the case.

Thanks for your positive review, David. I'll pass your comment on to the development team. In the meantime please reach out if we can do anything additional.

A Good Investment

We are moving toward a paperless office, and have a better sense of organization, because with Smokeball, we know where everything is, and it's easy to find.

Pros

That it is cloud-based makes is usable anywhere: home, office, while traveling. That's especially important now, given the limitations imposed by Covid 19. I appreciate the ability to have all emails related to a case appear in the same place. I like the automation features, particularly for drafting quick letters.

Cons

There are still technical issues involving the relationship between Smokeball and Outlook, and even when everything works smoothly, which is most of the time, the loading of both programs takes a while.

Thanks for your positive response. We'll gladly admit to being a bit more than some competitors but we're also happy to point out that our users get more features and value for the price, too.

Associate Attorney

Just about the time we got Smokeball we reduced our secretarial staff, so I was forced to prepare most of my own pleadings. Smokeball has made it possible for me to do so. I am always anxious to find out more about what Smokeball can do as, I suspect that I am only using a portion of the total functions available.

Pros

I like the fact that you can click on a file and easily find the document you are looking for; that it tracks your time and can easily be entered into Smokeball billing; that you can find documents by doing a search; that there is assess to the court forms of other jurisdictions and when opened, they are populated with the information in the file; that I am reminded daily about the tasks that I entered; I also like the communicate function which I just found.

Cons

I wish that I could print the memos that I prepare (although I found that I can send them through communicate); I wish there was more training with the pi functions (although I may have missed them); also I wish that I could print the task pages because I often make lists in the "Detail" box.

Thanks for your glowing review. I've forwarded your questions to your account manager who will be in touch in case we can be more helpful getting everything just right!

Real Estate Review

I have never had a software program like this, it is invaluable and I hope whereever I go in law, they have it.

Pros

The features in real estate are extremely helpful. The searching feature in the tab bar in the matter saves me every time. When I am on the phone with a client, I can look up information as they are asking me for it. It makes our office act compteley and fast. The formatting for letters or orders that I have made for ordering title, well and septic or addendums, etc. is truly amazing. In 2 seconds I can have an order out or an email sent with attachments.

Cons

Sometimes smokeball will glitch up with Word or take a while to respond but it's only a few seconds; I am spoiled with how fast smokeball is.

Excellent producet

The customer service is excellent. I am better organized and more efficient using Smokeball than previously.

Pros

Everything is in one place and easily tracked for billing.

Cons

I wish that other e-mail tools were available other than Outlook as I really dislike Outlook.

Thank you for this positive review. We realize that our native integration with Microsoft Outlook may not be everyone's top choice; we'll continue to look out for more integrations as we grow.

Utilization

We are very pleased!

Pros

Smokeball is a part of my everyday business and has been a key part of my businesses ability to perform at an optimal level. We've had a few hiccups adjusting to the software updates but were able to reach out to customer support and receive help quickly. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has played a large role in continuing to help us adjust to the changes Smokeball integration.

Cons

The continuous updates, although appreciated, sometimes wipe out our formatted documents to a default setting.

Thanks for this positive review! I'll forward your comment onto our development team for them to keep in mind as they make updates and revisions.

Financing Scam

They appear to have changed their business model from one that provides software to once that makes money off "lending money." The first account managers were amazing. Once we transferred all of our stuff and got used to the software. They started asking us for 3-5 year contracts paid up front with personal guarantors under the guise of them having to finance the contract. In other words even if you stop using their service you will personally have to still keep paying. They appear to have changed their business model from one that provides software to once that makes money off "lending money." Beware. I would stay away especially if you are a small firm.

Pros

User interface, Ease of Use, Accessibility

Cons

Customer support is lacking. Incompatible with VPN and other security software. They seem unconcerned about security issues that result. Fixing invoices is problematic.

Thanks for being a client and leaving a review, Deb. Obviously hearing anything fall through the cracks is difficult to hear, and we'd love to work with you offline to regain your confidence. Until then, though, I can clear up your two primary concerns: (1) Security is our #1 priority. It's why all of our software, migrations, and transactions surpass bank-level security. Our secure AWS cloud...

Great high tech automation but misses on basic options

I have gained a lot from using Smokeball, but I have had to give up things that I view as basic and simple needs in exchange. The company is open to hearing suggestions, but they are not quickly implemented. They are aware of the complaints that new users have, but they still don't discuss them in the sales demo. I would suggest buying one license only if you decide to try the software. You can add more later if you find that it works for you, but really use the software before adding more as it will take you a minute to realize all of the simple tasks it can't perform. If you have used other major software programs like Abacus or Practice Panther, you may not feel like the benefits are worth the hassle of the change. If this is your first case management system, you will be happy.

Pros

The integration with Microsoft Word and Outlook are great. Unlike other software programs, they work all the time and are easy to use. The templates and automation features help you save tremendous amounts of times doing routine work. The software does not crash and have bugs all the time like the previous software I used.

Cons

This is an out of the box, canned solution. Even on simple requests, ZERO customization is allowed. Also, they are HORRIBLE with allowing you to import data from other software systems. They basically expect each firm to just start over from scratch, other than importing contacts. This is crazy and unrealistic for small or large firms. Smokeball is a one size fits all tool that frequently falls short....

Great product but still lacking in essential features!

I have really enjoyed using this product and a have been a strong advocate from day one; however, I am concerned that they have not fixed this problem and I do not have the one capability that I need which is being able to get my emails and task while I’m in the car.

Pros

This software is easy to use and all of my staff love it! It improves our workflow, makes us more efficient and makes every day more enjoyable!

Cons

This software is lacking in one essential area – – you are unable to get your emails and task while on the go on your phone. I was told this app and feature works when I signed up for three years only to find out later that it does not work and the calendar is not very good either

Execellent Case Managment System.

Since I started using Smokeball, my profitability has increased by almost thirty percent. It keeps everything in one place and can make even a complex practice more manageable. The customer service is very responsive and Smokeball is constantly evolving new features and products to facilitate the needs of their customers.

Pros

I have been using Smokeball for almost four (4) years now. The document assembly and integration with Microsoft Office are fantastic. It stores everything about the case, contacts, documents, emails all in one place. Since I have been a user, they have added a billing program, which has increased our profitability.

Cons

Some of the billing features can be cumbersome at times, but if you train your staff to work within the parameters of the program, (i.e. making sure that payments on invoices are actually applied to the invoices), these minor issues can be managed.

An Invaluable Tool for Lawyers

Smokeball has increased my firm's ability to organize our client database and keep it updated and available on a moments notice.

Pros

The organization and accessibility Smokeball provides for my practice is invaluable. The integration of Word, Outlook, and the Smokeball overlay keeps all client matters easily organized and accessible from the cloud. Smokeball was integral for my practice to transition from paper heavy documents to a digitally based system. The ease of access provides on the spot support and client records by laptop or phone when at court or remote locations. As a bonus Smokeball integrates automatic billing through calendar and email events to help me keep track of billable hours. I am, and will continue to be, a dedicated and satisfied user.

Cons

The only con is the necessary time to input basic information on a client and client matter. However, once the initial input is complete it is transferable to new client matters.

Thank you for this positive review. We love hearing the things that are working, but are also cognizant of the time it takes to input new data, too. We're always working to streamline this process for you. More to come!

Most complete case management program available.

Pros

The software is easy to use, intuitive, and loaded with features that are easy to customize to practice needs, the billing integration, with the recently added auto activity trackers, make billing simple. Just when they make an improvement, they add additional improvements and enhance,ents with integrations to make practice management even more efficient. Example, they just added law pay and QuickBooks...

Cons

My only complaint would be price, but that is really a nominal complaint. I have paid so much more, per month, for other types of software, research and other types of programs and services, that the pricing really isn't bad at all.

Good Product - Very customizable

Generally speaking, no serious problems.

Pros

We have access to all of our files during this remote work period. It is easy to scan & add documents to the files and keep them organized. The system syncs with Outlook and Word in order to communicate through E-mail and create documents. The feature to create letters with our letterhead pre-loaded is great. The overall system give us a lot of options. We do not use the billing features because of our contingency-fee work. And I think we could use it more for client expenses if we work to train everyone and implement that. It is a good system.

Cons

It is expensive. I believe that it's worth what we pay, but it is not inexpensive.

Thanks for the positive review, James. We understand that our price appears higher than our competitors, but we hope the value is worth it. Likewise our product is alone in the market in being all-in-one. So while others offer free trials and cheap entry-level packages, they are actually more expensive once you add all of their add-ons to get to Smokeball's level of functionality. And even then you won't get the personal account management and service we promise to our users!

Smokeball is Desparate for your money

Our firm has used Smokeball legal software since 2016. We have had 2 licenses which we paid for monthly/yearly. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in our firm, passed away unexpectedly in December, 2019 at age 64. Our open cases were referred to outside counsel. The practice was closed on March 31, 2020. I have been working with Smokeball in a round-about way since the beginning of March. Smokeball refuses to refund the unused portion of our license renewal which is approximately 1 year, over $2,000. No one is using the Smokeball licenses and they have not been used for 3 months. User beware. I feel this is a scam. This could happen to you!

Pros

The best feature is being able to e-file directly from the matter.

Cons

Customer service passes you from one person to another. No one can answer your questions. Terrible customer service. When I asked to have our files backed up to close the account, 92 files did not come over.

I'm very sorry to read this. We're aware of this case, and I've escalated it in order to address it as quickly as possible. Of course we're terribly sorry for the circumstances, but we can assure you that we're neither desperate for your money nor a scam; this is an unfortunate case that we'll do our best to assuage.

My Smokeball Experience

Simplicity of creating documents, ease of tracking deadlines with reminders

Pros

Several features: Self populating documents, ability to download any document to my, responsive customer service.

Cons

Sometimes WORD interferes with the software.

Thank you for this lovely review, Jeffrey. We'll continue to squash bugs and make sure everything is working optimally for you at all times.

Absolutely the best!

This software enables me to run my business much more efficiently and accurately.

Pros

Smokeball is really wonderful and made a positive impact on my practice! The automation function is perfect. The auto time tracking and boost billing functions take Smokeball to the next level. It is hard to identify just one thing that I like most because everything about this software is amazing. It really has made my practice run smoothly and increased efficiency in my office. I converted from MyCase to Smokeball and the process was simple and relatively fast. I am so much happier with Smokeball! The customer service is out of this world as well. My account administrator took care of me every step of the way and made sure that I understood the process. She checked in on me to see how the conversion was going and did not hesitate to help me in any way.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I do not like or that I like least. Every once in awhile, the system runs slowly and it seems that my documents do not sync quickly. But, that is really it. There is nothing to complain about because this software is so intuitive and easy to use.

Makes work easier

Overall, my experience has been good. I would highly recommend this system to any office. It really does help keep files and documents organized and is easy to use.

Pros

This is a great system. It's easy to use and has a lot of useful features. What I really like is once you have entered a contact for one matter, it's in the system and you don't have to re-enter the same information again. Merging several documents into one large document is made simple too. Also, editing PDF documents is super easy.

Cons

Getting started with this system can be time consuming. Having to enter in all the information from each case took a long time.

Thanks for this positive review. We understand the investment required to learn and set up a new system, but we're also positive that the investment pays for itself over time. Please let us know if there are things we can do to help you realize this investment sooner.

Great product

Smokeball makes my legal work flow more smoothly and efficiently. It is like having another assistant at the office, but who is available 24-7 and by mobile.

Pros

Smokeball is terrific at combining the various aspects of my law practice into one, easily reachable and organized place. It has greatly improved the office's efficiency in responding to clients, getting work out the door, and staying organized.

Cons

The product was a great eye-opener in what could be accomplished. I am really am pleased and have no complaints.

Thank you so much for your great review; we truly appreciate it. And, of course, please let us know if/when you have any suggestions for how we can improve the product to suit your firm.

BEST PROGRAM EVER!!

I love all the features- especially the AI feature, it has helped our attorneys to make sure they do not complete something but forget to bill for it. All of our firm's contacts are stored in one place, making everyone's address book on point for everyone to contact anyone, even if someone else added the contact I can still find it. I also love being able to search for a document by typing anything that you remember is in the document and it will search all the documents for that phrase.

Pros

This program has made my job soo smooth. The ease of use and all the different features work together great. It has made me more organized and efficient in my job.

Cons

If your internet goes out, you cannot access files.

Effective/Efficient/Excellent

Wonderful and easy

Pros

The ease that the system provides with day to day functions makes all of our employees far More efficient and proficient at their jobs.

Cons

Some things would be helpful to customize to our specific practice and less so generalized for the containers and fillable options. I would love an intake that we can customize and open incoming potential clients to track specifically within its own feature.

Thank you for this positive review. I'll forward your question to our development team. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to your account manager to see if more personalizations can be done immediately.

Best case management software ever!

We were fairly early users of Smokeball and we could not be more pleased. Their software makes it so easy to write letters (which can be done off templates) and create standard documents. It's very easy to send them out, and organize them per file. It even links to email so emails can be similarly organized. Accessibility is the best part, as you've always got all the paperwork at your fingertips as long as you have a smartphone. The app is fantastic and makes it easy to make calls, email documents, etc. customer support literally responds within minutes and are the nicest folks ever. It's a great company and we couldn't be happier.

Pros

Accessibility, great app, immediate customer support.

Cons

No billing feature yet! :)