Smokeball Reviews

4.65/5 (51 reviews)

Sharon Jackson

Great high tech automation but misses on basic options

Reviewed 2019-02-07
Review Source: Software Advice

I have gained a lot from using Smokeball, but I have had to give up things that I view as basic and simple needs in exchange. The company is open to hearing suggestions, but they are not quickly implemented. They are aware of the complaints that new users have, but they still don't discuss them in the sales demo. I would suggest buying one license only if you decide to try the software. You can add more later if you find that it works for you, but really use the software before adding more as it will take you a minute to realize all of the simple tasks it can't perform. If you have used other major software programs like Abacus or Practice Panther, you may not feel like the benefits are worth the hassle of the change. If this is your first case management system, you will be happy.

Theodore Alatsas

Most complete case management program available.

Reviewed 2017-12-25

The software is easy to use, intuitive, and loaded with features that are easy to customize to practice needs, the billing integration, with the recently added auto activity trackers, make billing simple. Just when they make an improvement, they add additional improvements and enhance,ents with integrations to make practice management even more efficient. Example, they just added law pay and QuickBooks integrations to the Boost billing portal, making accounting, and collections easier and faster. The support team is responsive, and is always looking to learn from customers how to make the program better. Just spent have an hour with them on a call in which they were looking for suggestions on how to make the mobile app better. Whenever they make enhancements, they provide support instantly to train, if necessary, but usually the changes are so intuitive, that very little training is ever needed. I can't say that I have experienced better customer service. Well worth it.

Letisha Luecking Orlet

Absolutely the best!

Reviewed 2017-06-27

This software enables me to run my business much more efficiently and accurately.

ashleigh Trine

BEST PROGRAM EVER!!

Reviewed 2018-08-17

I love all the features- especially the AI feature, it has helped our attorneys to make sure they do not complete something but forget to bill for it. All of our firm's contacts are stored in one place, making everyone's address book on point for everyone to contact anyone, even if someone else added the contact I can still find it. I also love being able to search for a document by typing anything that you remember is in the document and it will search all the documents for that phrase.

Huma Rashid

Best case management software ever!

Reviewed 2016-12-02

We were fairly early users of Smokeball and we could not be more pleased. Their software makes it so easy to write letters (which can be done off templates) and create standard documents. It's very easy to send them out, and organize them per file. It even links to email so emails can be similarly organized. Accessibility is the best part, as you've always got all the paperwork at your fingertips as long as you have a smartphone. The app is fantastic and makes it easy to make calls, email documents, etc. customer support literally responds within minutes and are the nicest folks ever. It's a great company and we couldn't be happier.

spencer farris

Nice functions, too expensive for our little firm

Reviewed 2018-04-19
Review Source: Software Advice

the workflows and automation are great, the product was easy to use and we generally liked it. IN fact, I recommended it to several friends and they liked it as well.

Janet Hassakis

Smokeball review

Reviewed 2017-09-09

Much better product that what we had before. Excellent staff training. Our staff likes it and that is what matters!

Courtney Lorentz

Excellent software management tool for small firm.

Reviewed 2017-07-11

One company provides four different services: Software management/document sharing, cloud-based back-up, billing software, and website support/creation!

James Bernicky

An essential part of our office

Reviewed 2017-03-16

As a longtime Smokeball user, I can't imagine not using it! It's made so many parts of our practice easier, from keeping track of all our files, contacts, clients and documents. Every suggestion we've made has been considered (and I'm happy to say most, if not all, were integrated into the program). Support is top notch. Once you get everything set up the way you like it, it saves us so much time- I don't know where we'd be without it! I cannot recommend it enough!

Jay Chie

Our firm use to use timematters, but this is way better. It's like driving a chevy vs. mercendes!

Reviewed 2018-03-07

This software makes our office more efficient which means I need one less secretary. I have access from my phone and tablet which makes it easier for me to work outside of the office.

Eric Gibson

Great at what is goes well

Reviewed 2018-01-10
Review Source: Software Advice

The program acts as a central hub for the entire firm. Storing all client contact information, case information and uploaded documents. The direct integration with Office 365 for document creation and editing as well as email tracking makes the product what it is.

Theodore Alatsas

Best Practice/Case Management Software for small firms

Reviewed 2018-11-21

Can overstate the quality of the program, the ease of use, and the customer service and support.

Chris Casseday

One of the best legal practice management software tools!

Reviewed 2018-04-27

From the automated forms, document management, or the time tracking functionality, this software is perfect for any law firm looking to take their firm to the next level. The goal is to help attorneys run a more profitable law firm and that's exactly what you can expect when using it!

Sarah Sheluchin

Excellent practice management software

Reviewed 2019-06-11

Quite an intuitive platform with easy to use features. Time recording and billing are our favourite features! Smokeball allows easy file access in an organised platform.

Anonymous

Administrator for law firm using this program.

Reviewed 2018-05-15

Helped organize client files and made it easier to track and save emails to and from clients.

ashleigh trine

I love the customer support. If there are any issues, they will work with you until they are fixed.

Reviewed 2017-06-27

Linking everything together is great

Daniel Printz

Ambitious integration

Reviewed 2017-04-26

I have been using Smokeball for several months. It's amazingly powerful, integrating emails, documents, forms, and workflows. It has an activity tracker and allows you to create invoices, but billing/accounting integration is still weak. It may be too ambitious - one needs a powerful computer and for me sometimes fails to pull up Word. But customer service is very responsive and I'm impressed by their vision.

Eric Gibson

Impressed

Reviewed 2017-07-12
Review Source: Software Advice

Feature rich client and document management system integrates with office for document automation and email tracking

Sarah Moore

Smokeball is a great asset to my solo practice

Reviewed 2017-02-09

It's easy to use - the fields are layed out in a way that makes sense. The support is phenomenal - I usually get a response within a couple hours. It helps me track data - it has all the key data points I need. It helps me stay on top of tasks - I set up dates/reminders with ease.

Jim Fine

Smokeball Makes It Easy

Reviewed 2017-01-23

I have used Smokeball for about four years. There are a lot of positive parts to this program - the ease of using Word documents; the templates for the various practice areas; the speed of finding documents, correspondence, and emails to name a few. Recently I was representing the sellers of a Chicago condominium. For some reason the attorney, lender, and both real estate brokers found emails easier than phone calls. An issue arose about seven days prior to closing which caused a flurry of emails (17) to be exchanged in about 35 minutes. Smokeball grouped and filed these emails in the proper client folder and allowed me to watch from the sidelines until the activity ceased. Once I saw that the parties had run out of responses, I reviewed the last email in the chain, initiated a conference call, and resolved the problem with a three minute phone call. Smokeball allowed me to keep an eye on developments while working on other pressing matters. One last note. I have had judges comment on the Word documents I've used and how easy it is to read the insertions and presentations of documents like the Cook County Memorandum of Judgment and the Illinois business forms.

Michael Kern

A major time-saver for a reasonable price for a solo practitioner. Great customer support!

Reviewed 2017-06-06

Once you master form automation, there is no need to go back and re-draft the document. Better yet, a user can request that a new form be automated or created for his/her needs.

Steven Simenowitz

A lawyer's dream come true

Reviewed 2018-05-10
Review Source: Software Advice

Tremendous functionality and an extremely affordable price

Andrew White

Perhaps if I had my own IT team on staff... but this was a waste of money. And they viruses us

Reviewed 2017-08-15

Access to documents. Calendaring

Sarah Moore

Smokeball is perfect for a small to mid-sized firm

Reviewed 2017-01-06

As a former CRM Administrator, I had high expectations. There are some areas that should expand with this product over time, but it currently meets my needs and is easy to use and configure.

Melissa Murdock

Excellent for Small Firms

Reviewed 2018-01-25
Review Source: Software Advice

The software self tracks the time you spent drafting an email, reviewing a document, and editing or drafting. It is very customizable so that each matter contains in itself all the information you need for a case - no more searching through thousands of documents to find a claim number. It has auto fill options for your own templates and can be used wirelessly for those who travel. This program is absolutely amazing!

Elina Golod

Best software EVER!

Reviewed 2016-12-13

We cannot imagine how we did things before Smokeball came along. What would have taken a dozen tedious steps before takes two clicks now with Smokeball. For example, when we need to draft documents, we can prepare templates so the process is automated. When some matter detail changes (address has a typo, buyer's name changed), we can correct it in the matter and with two clicks we can have all our documents updated. In addition, Smokeball's workflow feature helps us ensure a file is progressing smoothly. The message function lets my paralegal take a call for me and the message is turned into a task in the file (to make sure I follow-up) AND I receive an email as well. There is truly nothing that Smokeball hasn't thought of to make our work easier. Also, Smokeball keeps rolling out updates to make a great product even better and provide more functionality for law firms. Everyone at the company is always friendly and courteous and helps us when there are issues. We are proud to use Smokeball and rave about it to anyone who will listen.

Patrick Dawson

Smokeball Review: Great Software

Reviewed 2016-12-30

We are a small plaintiffs' firm and love the software. It's helping us get better organized. We look forward to further updates on the PI side of the software. I researched it before we signed on, and saw only good reviews. One techie gave it a 25 out of 25. So far, we are very pleased, and we only know how to use part of it. Looking forward to the Phase II training.

Peter Schuyler

Smokeball's Website Service

Reviewed 2016-12-15

I recently signed up for Smokeball's case management service and discovered that they had wonderful web designers, who create professional mobile-friendly websites for attorneys who subscribe to Smokeball's service at no additional cost. My firm saved thousands of dollars and my website was up and running in under a week. They found beautiful photographs specific to my locality in the Hudson Valley and came up with a design that looked as great on a mobile phone as it does on a computer screen. The team was very helpful in understanding our marketing needs as a small firm and our desire to have a website that provides helpful information for both new and existing clients.

Judith Jenz

So happy I invested in Smokeball

Reviewed 2017-03-15

Smokeball has streamlined the process of a paperless office. It is well worth the money in time saved. The file management and document automation are priceless.

A t

Great if used right!

Reviewed 2016-11-11

Smokeball representatives make the experience worth the chaos to change over! They will dedicate an unlimited amount of time to making the service work for your firm~

Adam Joseph Childers

You get what you pay for

Reviewed 2017-12-29

Time and ease of mind knowing everything is in one place.

Lee Pugh

Smokeball does not have legal forms as advertised; and does not interact with G calendar

Reviewed 2019-02-21

I foolishly jumped in and signed up for a one-year deal with Smokeball. After I explained the shortcomings of their product and my need to buy additional software to make their software work, I asked to be released from my one year contract. Somkeball denied the request. I would strongly look for a product that is less expensive and has some type of money back guarantee.

Scott Miller, Esq.

Staff is very attentive and right with you all the way.

Reviewed 2017-08-30

Staff is very attentive and right with you all the way. There is a continuous training either via computer or Technical support. It has the best timekeeping system I have used so far. Timekeeping is the essence of my business since I do mostly class actions and need to keep very accurate records of time and expenses.

Madeline Bennington

Smokeball has transformed my law practice!

Reviewed 2016-04-06

I was initially hesitant to try Smokeball because there were so few user reviews available, other than those on their website. I have been using Smokeball for a little over three months and I LOVE it! I am not particularly tech savvy and it is incredibly easy to use. The customer service and support have been great. Right before I started with Smokeball I left my four attorney law practice to become a solo practitioner. Smokeball has been indispensable in helping me get and stay organized, catalogue documents and emails so that they're easily retrievable, and creating documents. The new "Activity Tracker" that just came out with Smokeball looks like it will be another great feature and will help me track my time to make sure I'm billing for the work that I do. If I could recommend only one product to a solo or small firm attorney, it would definitely be Smokeball.

Michelle Nay

This software does it all!

Reviewed 2017-10-16
Review Source: Software Advice

We did a lot of research before selecting Smokeball... it caters to all computer skill levels.

Elizabeth Shore

Smokeball Customer Service personnel are THE best!

Reviewed 2016-04-11

I'm a paralegal with a small/mid size law firm. We have been using Smokeball for approximately 6 months. I'm not real tech savvy, so the thought of learning any new software program is normally a nightmare for me. When I found out we were going to be using this new legal software, I was pretty anxious. However, much to my delight, I have found Smokeball to be relatively easy to use, and if I can't figure out how to do something on my own, customer service is always on it with lightning speed. The personnel at Smokeball are extremely knowledgeable and courteous. Phone calls and emails are returned promptly, and I never have to dread picking up the phone to ask for help, fearing someone will speak to me in an alien technical language! They explain things in terms that are easy to understand and are very pleasant to deal with.

Mark Breunig

Started using 1 year ago as document and email mgmt solution. It's gotten a lot less clunky.

Reviewed 2017-08-10

Improved document and task tracking. Io

Miriam Childers

Smokeball Review

Reviewed 2016-02-03

I believe this is a fantastic law practice management software. We've been using it since October, 2015 and are very pleased with it thus far. We are a small to medium-sized law practice of 6 attorneys and 6 support staff. I was tasked, since I'm the IT person as well as the Office Administrator, Accounts Payable/Receivable and all-around Go-To person, with researching the various cloud-based Practice Management software available. The Pro that sold me as an IT person was the ease of being able to retrieve our client data files should we at some point decide to terminate our relationship with Smokeball. None of the other software I researched had that capability. Smokeball is very intuitive and appears so far to be extremely easy to pick up and implemented by our staff.

Jeremiah Raxter

Smokeball Review

Reviewed 2016-12-22

Our office has recently installed Smokeball and it is a wonderful and beneficial program that has helped our law office stay organized and efficient. Through the many characteristics and programs the software offers, we have been able to keep better track of our clients and matters. All of the representatives we have talked to when experiencing problems have been extremely friendly and helpful. Also, the representatives answer all questions with positivity and certainty, and we have yet to experience any issues. Smokeball is easy to navigate and use and offers a wide range of helpful tools to keep our files organized. I highly recommend the Smokeball to other law offices if you are in search of a highly functional and well organized program.

Darien Ivory

Smokeball review

Used other for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-08-16
Review Source: Software Advice

Definitely helped as far as organization of emails and other important documents. Easy to use and also has a speedy search engine.

Anonymous

The Best Practice Management Software!

Used other for free trial
Reviewed 2018-09-07

It's a great company that serves smaller law firms. Their customer service team is fantastic and can work very hard to make things easier.

Tricia Harter

Customer Service is excellent.

Reviewed 2016-04-01

We've been using the software for 3 months now. We couldn't integrate our old practice management software and decided to just start from scratch. The customer service provided to help us do so has been exceptional. No delays in responses and 'walk-through' for specific questions we've had were provided very quickly. We look forward to billing be added to the program. After that, it will provide everything we need for practice management, document production, Outlook and Word integration and use outside of the office. We've got 3 people in the office and it's been an easy installation process and learning process thus far.

STEVEN ALVES

I've tried the rest. Smokeball is the best.

Reviewed 2016-04-20

I have tried Lexis Nexus Firm Manager, Clio, MyCase, Amicus, Abacus, Rocket Matter, Credenza, Houdini, Bill 4 Time, Time matters... you name it. Smoke Ball is the best. Pros: The organization of information in one location is fantastic. The document automation works the way I had hoped the competitors' would work. The integration of Word and Outlook are amazing time savers. The new Ai feature is awesome. Con: No time and billing BUT this feature is in the works.

Tia Haywood

Supportive

Used other for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2017-07-21
Review Source: Software Advice

The customer support, they are local, ease of use and navigation, training videos, 1 on 1 outreach by staff, the automation, integration with word and billing function, different matter types and forms, the free website hosting, the cloud based storage, and the phone app for on the go accessibility.

Elizabeth Rivera

Amazing Case Management Software!

Reviewed 2016-02-17

I have been using Smokeball now for a little over two months. I am absolutely in love. I am a solo-practitioner and it is saving me a ton of time in addition to keeping me incredibly organized. They helped me transition very seamlessly from another popular case management software. The integration with outlook and word is phenomenal. It has been a total game changer for my practice management and efficiency.

Susan Roberts

Saves time!

Reviewed 2017-02-14

The customer service is A+! Easy to use and easy to learn. Helps with the mundane things we have to do everyday!

Chad Oliver

The best practice management software for lawyers

Reviewed 2016-05-31

I have been a Smokeball client for the last six months and am completely satisfied with the product and customer service. As a client, my account manager is available for questions on little or no notice and always has a pleasant attitude and thoughtful suggestions on improving my practice. I cannot say enough good things about this company.

Karen Rednour

Smokeball good for small law firms.

Reviewed 2016-11-11

Smokeball has made many advances in their software to help small law firms like our to succeed. We love that everything is contained in one module and we do not need to keeps switching between programs to do our work. We look forward to many more innovations from Smokeball.

Lori Somekh

Great software

Reviewed 2016-04-12

My office has been using Smokeball for several months now. It makes a big difference in our organization and productivity. The customer service is excellent.

Vitaliy Usten

Good Product, Good Customer Service and a Great Price

Reviewed 2016-12-13

I'm a recent user, and am completely happy with the software, the customer service and the price. I recommend Smokeball to any small law firm

Julia Bardareanu

Great software!

Reviewed 2017-01-13

Helpful staff, many options, easy interface. Can automate almost anything, makes my job so much easier!