ChMS Reviews

Suggested alternatives

planning-center
breeze-chms
chmeetings

Interface was intuitive and features were great and company had the right vision for what they were trying to accomplish.
I also like how easy it is to add new members to the software and the ability to share important information with those on staff. The program is easy to navigate and easy to learn.
I love how Church Community Builder (CCB) helps me, as a youth pastor, get in touch with the parents of the students in my youth group and communicate information to them easily and effectively.
One day our man computer died that had the ChMS on it and we were unable to professionally retrieve the data that we had put in it for 20 years.
Probably the most disappointing about CCB is that they offer limited two way integration with merchant providers.
Being a Finance person - I was disappointed at first.

JS

Jacob S.

Operations Director

A clunky powerhouse

Transcript

Jacob: My name is Jacob and I am the administrative pastor at a church. I would give Church Community...

Jesse S.

Senior Pastor

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Great for churches and other major presentations

Transcript

Jesse: Hi, my name is Jesse. I'm the Senior Pastor at a church in the, obviously, the church industry....

Greg S.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

No need to look elsewhere for church management software

The exceptional experience I've had with the software has only been matched by the top-notch customer support experience that encompasses friendly and knowledgeable customer service personnel, substantive email updates, and webinars that cover both current functionality and future plans. Their level of integrity in sharing forthrightly where the product is and where it is going exceeds the experiences I've had with other businesses.

Pros

Three years ago after extensive analysis of the top church management software on the market, I recommended and then implemented Church Community Builder at my church. I've never looked back. In those three years, the company not only significantly expanded its features and functionality, but also its ease of use. Administration and finance areas now run so much more effectively through the use of the software, and our mission critical youth ministry relies on it for all their local out-reach and international events. I continue to enthusiastically both use and support the software.

Cons

In the last year, Church Community Builder has caught up and is beginning to surpass the user interface experience that much smaller companies with limited software functionality were rolling out. I look forward to the continued rollouts that are planned for making the mobile experience surpass those smaller companies, many which have gone out of business.

JM

Jaclyn M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Great for churches!

Pros

I liked that each church member had their own record and could access it and update it on their own. I liked the group functionality.

Cons

I wish more of our church members used it so it would be more effective in our church.

LC

Leah C.

Continually Improving

We've used CCB for a couple of years now. Some of the basic processes work great - church directory, finding emails and phone numbers and addresses, etc. Also works great for tracking tithing and giving, as well as letting users print their own year-end-giving tax receipts. For us, it put multiple databases all in one place so that all our members user information is always up to date. The scheduling...

Pros

Database Church directory Volunteer scheduling

Cons

Mobile-friendliness

Thank you for your review Leah. We are excited about the upcoming releases that will definitely make us more mobile friendly! Thank you for all you do to impact the Kingdom, Pam Flanery

kb

kenneth b.

My Review

Pros

donor management, online giving, and forms.

Cons

lack of options to customize options on profile and various parts of the chms.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Kenneth! We're always working to innovate and add more features that help fuel the mission of the Church and we hope you continue to experience the benefits!

Judy G.

Excellent software. Professionally managed. Easy to use. Well documented. Well supported.

Solid Guest processing. Member tracking, management. Great data mining capabilities.

Pros

Everything in this software is easy to use. I can create a new report in < 1 minute. Of course, there are many types of reports that are supplied so that I don't always need to create my own reports. Use is intuitive. Software updates are solid, well described prior to the launch, nothing broken afterwards. We employed a coach to get started, and that experience was highly effective. Video's are supplied on training, they are easy to understand, find, re-run and available to all. Process Queues are key to connecting with our guests, and help us keep track of all key activities. They are an important point in differentiating this product from others available. Our support tickets have been worked quickly, efficiently, and never rushed.

Cons

Metrics are tougher to get working as they made us think through our organization differently - and we then made some changes and it took us longer to roll out. Each metric has a graph, and therefore is visual - which makes a big difference in assimilation. We're rolling out more and more of them as time goes by.

SG

Shawn G.

Over-Promise / Under-Deliver

While I believe this product is still a great asset, I would advise that you must be prepared to have an administrator dedicated to getting it running effectively.

Pros

CCB has a clean user interface. The product looks great. Overall it is able to generate and store the information we need, but ultimately we had to hire a full time Database Admin to get the full benefit of the product.

Cons

The first year and a half was really rocky. While we were promised all of the bells and whistles of a great software, it quickly became clear that a lot was still in development. It took dedicated staff members working with CCB developers to truly get to a point where we could utilize the system effectively. While the user interface is great, getting it to produce the reports we were accustomed to in other softwares was far more cumbersome.

DA

Dave A.

We Left

It met our needs for a while but we became disappointed after several years and have recently moved to Planning Center.

Pros

CCB was the first ChMS we used as a new church start-up 13 years ago. It met our needs. Check-in was essential as well as online contributions.

Cons

Over time we became disappointed by the slow progress in rolling out product improvements. Service planning / scheduling in CCB was inadequate so we used Planning Center. There was no integrated mobile app so we used Subsplash. Process queues and reporting was very cumbersome to use. The merger with Push Pay was the catalyst for us to look at alternatives due to our negative experience with Push Pay when search for a mobile app solution.

Terri S.

Church Community Builder Helps Churches Help People

Church Community Builder has improved my church's management of congregational records and information. When handling hundreds of people from first-time guests to volunteers and small groups having a tool that allows the church staff to be informed about and supportive of congregants is of utmost importance. CCB has also helped congregants to "own" their involvement in the life of the church from managing their giving to their volunteer schedules. It's a great tool for church staff and congregation.

Pros

What I like most about Church Community Builder is the level of detail provided as it pertains to database records. If used to its fullest, the user can store a tremendous amount of information about individuals which in turn helps the user support these individuals as members of their church community.

Cons

What do I like least about Church Community Builder? I cannot think of anything that stands out at this time.

Nicole H.

Best Church Management Software Available

We were in need of a current directory (printed) and decided to turn to Church Community Builder for an online directory as well as finance manager and attendance tracker. This offers users the ability to look up and/or change information in their own profiles as well as look up other congregants' information to contact them in real-time, instead of waiting for a printed directory to come out once every 3-5 years. So much changes in so little time nowadays, that this is so much more practical for our fast-paced society.

Pros

Church Community Builder is certainly the best software for managing congregational information available! I love the app for iPhone, which allows me to take attendance for worship and Bible studies quickly as well as look up congregant phone numbers/emails/addresses quickly and on the run. I also like the ability of congregants to interact with one another through groups and email within the site & the security in place to maintain confidentiality as needed.

Cons

For reporting purposes, I need to know certain things about attendees and creating reports can sometimes be more difficult for those who are not very computer-savvy.

Jason B.

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

so many amazing features for building up the church

we'v benefited from having our "roster" in one place that we can easily manage everybody from ... like a CRM for our church visitors and members.

Pros

absolutely blows my mind what you can do, and how you can use this software to measure engagement and growth at your church.

Cons

it can be really expensive, and really overwhelming (at first?) but if you commit to getting your team on board i'd suggest you spend time really getting to know the software because the amount of features are incredible!

KT

Kim T.

We LOVE Church Community Builder

Our old database was clunky and difficult to use. Most of our staff only used it as a directory, and not very often. CCB is very intuitive and easy to use. Our staff is using it daily and a lot of our congregation is using it daily. It allows us to track engagement and spiritual growth. It helps us to have accurate and up to date contact information on our members. We have gotten rid of several stand...

Pros

This is a very powerful database tool that simplifies the administrative processes, allowing the church team to do ministry better and more efficiently. I love the fact that when I contact them for support the person who contacts me almost always uses it in their own church. They aren't just behind the scenes, they are users and they understand what we are trying to do. I love that they listen to their...

Cons

Overall, there really isn't any cons. Sure, there are things we would like to have work a little differently, but we know that the team at CCB listens to all of the church partners and are continually working on different feature enhancements to make things easier and more efficient for their church partners. If I had to suggest something we'd like to see...we would really like it to be a one stop shop for all of our ministry needs-completely replacing PCO and our financial software, and a place to leave private notes on a profile specifically for pastors only to see.

AA

Amanda A.

Overall, CCB is a wonderful program! Great for small & big churches!

Easily being connected to other leaders, especially for a church run on volunteers. We are in the church at different parts during the week and don't have the benefit of having our offices filled all week with each other! So it helps with easy communication and connection. Also, for our volunteer church members & their calendars for serving! Having a place for all their information, birthday's, anniversaries, etc is so helpful!

Pros

I love how everything is connected, and once you get knowledgeable about it, it is easy to use! I love how the calendar is connected to our website, how you can have groups of different ministries and send emails to them or texts and it's professional and not from a personal phone. I love overall how there isn't so much for church members to learn how to use it, so it has basic communication and information where they can go on and be connected and informed! Also, their customer service is beyond amazing! They have helped in any and every way, from email responses (even if I'm not understanding something simple) to calling on the phone to walk me through something... They truly have beyond a five star staff!!

Cons

I think there are some things for them to work on, but it's all natural and a part of them moving forward. I, as a user, can detect some things when I try to do something I can't, but being a developer I understand they can't have it all perfect for us! Nothing too big of a con, for someone not to get CCB, but what is great about them is that you can email them ideas or situations you are running into...

JG

Jimmy G.

Great Cloud Based Database (plus more!) software for Churches

Pros

We like the groups feature and how easy it is to message group members, keep their information up to date, the opportunity for group members to connect with each other, love the forms and automation that are available in the software. We love the giving feature and ease of use for our church to set up automatic giving and pledges. The software is great for ministry leaders whether volunteer or paid....

Cons

The development of the mobile app is recent over the last 12 to 18 months. We wished it would have been sooner, but they are really doing a good job on improving that and adding features to it constantly. The scheduling feature, which would be the most used, but is the later part of mobil development. CCB is releasing and has realeased it with improvements already. Overall though, CCB is a company for churches and listen to their customers in what they need.

CC

Crisan C.

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

We have used CCB for almost 10 years and have been very happy with our experience.

Pros

We appreciate how responsive the team has been to our feedback. We get excellent response time on all tickets submitted, friendly, competent service and have also felt heard anytime we have asked for other features. One of their reps actually proactively reached out to us recently to meet with us and understand our needs better, which they were doing with a number of their customers. This is, of...

Cons

There are at times things we wish were more intuitive, such as the user interface for adding events with rooms and resources. We understand the challenge with providing so much complexity and functionality so we are not unhappy with the product. It just means we let only our power users use those areas and do our best to keep them well-trained. We love that we have a voice in shaping the future of the interface and feel CCB is always interested in staying relevant in the market for these types of tools.

TT

Tabitha T.

CCB is easy to use, less expensive, and very intuitive!

I give 2 thumbs up for CCB overall. The cost is significantly less than many of the other ChMS's out there, and I feel our church gets more "bang for the buck" by using it! We regularly get comments from our attenders that show us how effective CCB is ("Wow! How did you know this was my 2nd visit?" "Thanks for the note that you were praying for me." "Really? I've been attending since 2006, but haven't attended membership, yet? How do I sign up?") I haven't mentioned one of the best features: the ability for members of groups to communicate to each other (without either having the other's email address)! Our group members feel a sense of belonging, right from the start!

Pros

I'm assuming 5 stars is best in your survey. The customer support rates many more stars than I'm able to give. The team at CCB was so supportive and helpful during the transition from our "old" ChMS. CCB's Process Queues make tracking attenders so easy: we can "watch" them as they move from first-time visitors to members. The Queues also make it easy to see which volunteers have been processed...

Cons

We have found some issues when trying to email "Parents Of", and are aware that changes to improve this feature are expected any day (first-quarter 2011). We are a large church (5,500-plus in an average weekend), and initially found CCB to be more geared toward smaller churches. In the 5 months we've been with them, we've seen them changing to be more accommodating to the large churches...but there's still room for growth in this area. Implementation packages are available, but if not used, the church may feel like a fish out of water. I highly recommend implementation be used for all churches that want to use as many CCB features as possible.

Update: Since this post, emailing the PARENTS OF has been addressed in the software.

JH

Jake H.

Would Recommend to Churches Looking for Engagement

Our church has been a user for about 3 years now, and we like this product for the most part. We find that it works well with most of the systems that we had set up long before purchasing, and we would definitely choose CCB again if given the option. I wouldn't recommend this to churches just looking to save contact information, but I would highly recommend it to churches looking to further engage...

Pros

integrations with other online tools, customer service has been extremely helpful, updates seem to address areas of need, number of tools available

Cons

cost is high compared to some offerings, but value is high as well. Oftentimes we have to change our internal systems because of the limitations of the tools available (I would imagine this is common for every system that isn't custom though).

Hi Jake, Thank you for your post; we love partnering with you and are very excited about all the new updates we will be providing our wonderful church partners in 2017! Have a blessed week, Pam

JS

Jacob S.

A clunky powerhouse

The learning curve was steep but worth it. As time has gone on, CCB's relevance within the church management industry has faded.

Pros

CCB's ability to run detailed reports and custom searches is a strong feature. Because of its popularity among churches, there are tribes of user communities that make it easy to discover and share tips and tricks.

Cons

The design, interface and usability of CCB is stuck in 2010. We are migrating away from CCB and to one of their competitors because of the ease of use, simplicity of their mobile app, and more competitive pricing structure.

JY

Josh Y.

CCB cares about how WE use their system, and they work to make it happen every day!

Pros

I have been using CCB for around 10 years (I think...I've kind of lost count!). As a part of the Beta Team, I LOVE the fact that I have the ability to influence how the software works and what features are most important to us as a church. CCB does a STELLAR job with customer service and seeking to build a useful product for churches. They listen to what we use and how we need it to work, and then they work to make that happen. Their commitment to mobile use over the last year or so has been great. They are trying to make sure they do it RIGHT instead of just putting an app out that doesn't really help. It feels like I'm actually a part of the team, and that relationship is a big part of what is attractive about CCB.

Cons

The important part of using CCB is having a vision of how to setup the structure. Without taking the time to think that through, it can be harder to use and seem clunky. But once you understand how to make it work for you, it is an incredibly powerful tool!

Andrew R.

The Heartbeat of our Church

We have been using ChMS for 15 years. There is no other platform available that would necessitate us moving to something else. It is truly the heartbeat of how our staff functions.

Pros

All in one system that handles our most critical needs. From donor management to child checkin, we use ChMS every day.

Cons

Currently there is a weakness in managing paid events. We have to supplement ChMS with a second event management platform for paid registrations (ChMS works amazing for free stuff).

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Andrew! After 15 years, it is great to know you still find value in our product as we continue to innovate to meet the ever-evolving needs of the Church. It is so motivating to know that our ChMS is so central to the functioning of your church. Thank you for your loyalty!

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Great for Connectivity and Sharing Information

As a member of a larger church, there is no way to disseminate information to all church members about their individual needs and events on a Sunday morning alone. CCB places people in applicable groups to disseminate information efficiently and help these subgroups communicate.

Pros

-The tabs on the home screen are intuitive to use. -The flow on each screen anticipates my needs. For example, when I view the nursery group I serve in, the screen includes contact information for our children's director and room leaders. It also includes an option to write a message to all participants. -The "Give" tab lets me store bank information so I can easily use this function monthly without having to reenter anything -CCB allows me to be added to different groups so that I receive email communications directed to each group. This keeps me in the loop about relevant information, but keeps the information concise since I'm only getting applicable emails

Cons

-I would like the calendar tab to be more customizable. While the software does take into account which "groups" I am apart of and only show me events relevant to those groups, there are still certain events that I'd rather not see (i.e. regular church services. I already know these happen on a weekly basis, and it would be more helpful to see events I actually need help remembering). -It would be nice if each personal profile had more information on where they are connected in the church-where they serve, how long they've attended, etc

KH

Ken H.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Have used this software for some six years and plan to continue using it!!!

Pros

Overall, it is very easy to use. That said, we do NOT use much of its capabilities. We are a small church plant. As the pastor, I use it to communicate with the congregation and our small groups. That is a key to my liking CCB. It is very easy to create a new group, edit those in an existing group and more. We also tract all of our giving through it, making bookkeeping very easy and the end of the year tax reporting extremely easy. Each person can log on and get their own giving statement. They can also track where their giving is at any time.

Cons

For a church our size, this is an expensive package. And there is a lot to learn to truly get the most from the software. Best to have a person who would immerse themselves in it, which we have never had. For a larger church, the options would really be handy. Of course, you need lots of computers all over your facility to make the most of CCB.

KW

Katie W.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Good for the basics, hard to get people to use

Pros

I love being able to keep track of volunteers and church member information on CCB. It's easy to customize too to keep track of whatever is important to us, like workshop attendance and other significant events. I love that they updated the new volunteer schedules feature to make saved templates for recurring schedules. It makes it super easy to produce a schedule and keep using saved versions.

Cons

CCB is really hard to get our members to use. There is too much information on the page and can be overwhelming to members who just want to check their finances and serving schedules. The app is getting better, but it is way too late in the game coming out and now our church is just used to using the software behind the scenes, and our members don't know what it is. If there had been an app developed earlier it would have been easier to implement at the same time.

AG

Adrian G.

Needs work on support and social

I was pleased upon posting my original review to receive a call from their service manager. While we agreed to disagree about some points about support communication, at least they take criticism seriously, and that gives me a lot of cause for hope so I modified this review. My recent support interactions have been better received since I followed his process. I stand by my contention support is bottle-necked...

Pros

I like the group management, financial management, most things about the profiles. I like Kids Self Check In printing labels process once we got it going. Anything purely administrative in terms of reporting, tracking and automating is really great.

Cons

Biggest pet peeve is how hard it is for most group leaders to communicate with CCB. Only the master user can submit tickets, but our part time staff needs the speed of being able to troubleshoot the system themselves. There needs to be a support avenue for the average user, at least on a leader level, for us to get the most from it. Secondly, there such a lack of feature support for Facebook, especially...

PT

Patrick T.

Church Community Builder is a fantastic church management database

Church Community Builder can be a helpful tool for keeping track of a large church's congregation. Through careful administration, no one will slip through the cracks when utilizing CCB's tools.

Pros

If implemented well, Church Community Builder can ensure no person is overlooked. CCB can keep track of group attendance, serving positions, and even remind leaders to check in on people routinely. The analytics options provide unparalleled control when creating reports. Their connection with PushPay makes integrations between their platforms seamless.

Cons

When mismanaged, CCB can be difficult to maneuver and obtuse to use. I've run into several bugs which prohibit basic functions from working properly.

CCB is powerful, highly functional, and moving quickly towards a beautiful and intuitive design.

Pros

CCB has an excellent vision for serving real people and helping church leaders encourage and track true engagement of their members. It has everything you need to know as much as you can about where your members are and what they're doing. Features like process queues, forms, and events make sure that leaders can start to truly understand where there people are, how they're moving around the ministry, and what they need.

Cons

The design is old and not mobile optimized. HOWEVER, at the time of this writing, they are about a month away from a COMPLETE, from-the-ground-up resdesign with lots of new user-friendly additions. I am super excited about this, and it will make it a LOT easier to engage other administrative volunteers and team leaders so they can use CCB more effectively.