All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Slack Reviews

20,392 reviews

Daily Slack User

We are a political research firm that utilizes hundreds of contractors who give surveys. The surveys change on-the-fly once requirements are met, and as a result contractors must be notified in real-time as they work from home

Pros

Ease of real-time mass communication while at the same time enabling group convo, closed/hidden group convo, and 1 on 1 communication.

Cons

The constant bombardement of msgs that are not applicable to me from various groups im in. There should be a display to notify others of how I'm recieving msgs in a given timeframe

Love it. Slack-ing off @ work

It has offered a more comfortable work life and the UX seems to have that as a guiding principal. It works well and has a wonderful host of API's that greatly extend functionality of the software.

Pros

It makes Microsoft Teams or whatever they call it this year obsolete. It's like an intra-office Reddit for us. Hilarious but still very productive.

Cons

That it defaults to trying to update via windows store. Which is not accesible via group policy. Forcing an manual install every time.

Great messaging tool for start ups

I've had a great experience using Slack, it's easy and fun to use, easy to configure and overall a powerful tool for the people that look for this type of messaging application. It's not for everybody but it's worth trying.

Pros

Slack has the vibe of an application that's cool to use, it has a very 'young' vibe to it. For me, it feels like a great application for start ups or small teams to use because the degree of customization of the workspace is immense. The application is also quite easy to configure at the start, with many features that can be added later in the process, depending on the need. It's a tool that has the...

Cons

I would say that a con for this software would be that it's sometimes hard to take serious. Young people may be excited to use Slack and create their own bots but some professionals may not find this as a selling point for them and it may seem childish. This is not necessarily a minus that the application has, but it is the type of application that's not for everybody.

Great integrations with tools

We were on Skype for Business and the features on Slack are much richer and better. Some people are using Teams, which is also a good alternative, but for some people the heavy footprint of the full Teams product was a bit too much.

Pros

It's an easy, reliable tool to use for messaging, and easily organizes teams with channels for discussion. The integrations with web hooks are also very useful for using other developer/production tools for software development. Custom slackmojis are also a fun morale booster.

Cons

The free version has a short history span, but this is understandable given it has a free version. When having a direct ad hoc conversation with multiple people (not wanting to setup a channel), it can be difficult to read the names for each conversation and distinguish one from the other. Maybe there's a way to rename the convo, but I haven't found it yet.

Slack is the best chat app, but don't use it as a wiki or PM tool

Slack effectively solves our need for real-time communication. We use the chat, voice and video calling options. It's a great tool and better than most other chat alternatives, but don't be tempted to use it to manage projects, store documentation, or give structure to files. You'll soon be overwhelmed by the lack of structure.

Pros

I love Slack's ease of use and simplicity. New users can get up to speed quickly and begin using fun features like @mentionds, /gifs and :emojis: The file attachments and search speed are well done. Slack's real power is in all the integrations, so I love being able to hook up a dozen or so apps and collect all my notifications in one place. Also, the freelancer community has embraced Slack because of their free/cheap plans, so it's very convenient to keep in touch with a variety of contractors by just inviting them (since most already have their own Slack plans).

Cons

Slack isn't great at providing structure to your work-life. The #channel structure does aid in some structure, but Slack's support for threads is awful--they don't make any sense, and most people can't figure out how to use them. These deficits are offset somewhat by searchability, but for the most part you'll just be scrolling through endless conversations if you want to find a particular piece of info.

Slack: No More Emails!

My overall experience with Slack has been great! It has enabled me to talk with my teammates and share code snippets ( which was a pain otherwise ) in a much easier way. The software is free, so there is no harm in trying it out and the free tier is more than enough for small teams or people just trying stuff out! Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed!

Pros

The best aspect of slack is how effortless it makes communication between team members. No more emails, cc or bcc. Just create a group of your colleagues that you wanna talk to and send them a message. Another great feature of Slack is the rich formatting. You can send code snippets or even bash commands that others can quickly use. If you are on a paid plan, you can search all your previous messages...

Cons

One of the worst ( or best depending on your preference ) things is that Slack is like an instant messenger, so people expect you to respond quickly. Unlike email, where people have no clue when you see the email. On Slack, if I am online, my teammates expect me to reply quickly, but that doesn't always happen. I don't feel there are any other issues with Slack, it is well-made software!

It's anything but Slack

We started using Slack in order to not have to talk to each other... Actually to be fare, we're spread across 4 floors and multiple offices (sometimes people work from home) so Slack gives us a way to communicate across multiple channels looping in relevant people that need to be updated on specific projects. The ability to be able to quickly jump onto a call or post images and video easily greatly enhance communication. Slack is open on all our computers (Mac and PC) all day every day and is key to getting things done! And you don't have to 'talk' to Dave at his desk anymore so no 20 minute conversations on the virtues of staples over paperclips, WIN!

Pros

It's so easy to set up an account, add your teammates, create your channels and assign/amend and remove access for who can see what. Also found loads if integrations with other software packages useful. I didn't much like the browser version but the desktop and mobile apps work a treat. Being able to set 'out of office' or 'end of day' do-not-disturb times really helps you to not get woken up in the middle of the night by Dave who had a brainwave on how to better stack the free peanuts in the break-room (we all have a Dave).

Cons

I initially had a bit of a blond moment (is it politically correct to say that? Gulp) when I first started using the web version of the app. I didn't really like it and it took me a while to figure out that there was in fact a desktop and mobile version that were much nicer to use (as mentioned in the Pros section).

Great communcation software

Like I had said I really love Slack. It has made it easier to communtate with my team, share information and it actually brought us together!

Pros

I have used Slack for years now and was so excited when we started using it at my current workplace. We had tried to use other software but it never really took off as Slack has. It is super easy to use and has many different client versions. Everyone in the office can decide how they want to use it which is a hugeeeee plus! We use the free version which really is great for us. There is a limit to how many message Slack stores but this hasn't been a huge issue. You are able to create different channels which has been a great way to share important information that we have to reference and keep it organized. Slack has also brought our team together and gave us a new modern way to communicate. Also what I love is that you can really customize notifications,

Cons

I don't like how with my particular phone notifations can be delayed. It has caused a few issues where I have gotten messages 30 to 40 minutes later despite having good either wifi or ceular service. Otherwise no real issues with Slack!

Love/hate relationship with Slack

I use Slack across 7-9 workspaces, one for each client/collaborator/workgroup. It's effective for keeping up with lot of people at once and the fact that I can mute certain workspaces/channels makes it manageable.

Pros

Slack does a fine job of facilitating collaboration with co-workers, and does cut way down on the fragmented nature of workplace communications. The workspace -> channel structure does a good job of organizing communications, but messages and threads can become atomized very easily. Overall its the best tool I've used and is a vast improvement over the old ways. And the voice/video calling feature is perfectly integrated - can't wait for them to add transcription.

Cons

I don't think this is Slack's fault, but the volume of stuff flowing through Slack is hard to wrangle. If you have more than a few workspaces open with a few channels each, it is incredibly easy to lose track of a message, thread, or link. and if you're using the free version you can find a critical message or link disappears behind the 10K message limit very quickly. Again, if you're getting good value from a product then you should pay for it, so no complaints about pricing, except that it's hard ot know what paying to: a workplace, or your own access to everything?

We love Slack!

Our team easily adapted to Slack and it has become one of our favorite resources. Simple things that ended up being a hassle, like taking a poll of how many people will be traveling to a different office on a certain day or letting people know of updates, have become SO easy and used even more often. It helps keep everyone connected and in the know. I believe Slack has helped bring us to the next level in both business and relational.

Pros

Slack helped provide a collaborative workspace for our multiple offices. We were able to create channels to help teams have a space to store and share their ideas with one another. It also made passing out updates to certain groups of people or offices a lot easier/more efficient than through email. The Slack calls are also a great feature!

Cons

One of my few complaints would be that a lot of times I have to refresh the app in order to see updated statuses. There has been a lot of times I have been waiting for someone to get out of meeting or off of a call only to later realize they have been available for awhile and the app just wasn't showing the updated status.

Great for interoffice communication

Interoffice communication has been streamlined and processes made faster by being able to communicate quickly and efficiently. Slack does a great job of bringing our coworkers together whom are remote or in different parts of the country as if everyone is in the same room having a conversation.

Pros

Slack is a very convenient tool for inter-office communication and is what we've used exclusively for the last 7 months or so after switching from Skype. Most of our work is done remotely and we have colleagues across the country that we need to communicate with daily for various projects. Slack is a very fast and easy way to do that. It doesn't fully replace email, but it does speed things up quite a bit for simple questions and answers. It's pretty easily searchable, too, if you ever need to go back and find something later. I like that you can create specific channels and conversations to keep workflow properly siloed. Mobile app is also great and just as easy to use. Overall great tool for quick communications.

Cons

It almost has too many features....It could definitely be simplified. There are just SO MANY things you can do with it that it can honestly be overwhelming at times if you click the wrong button or don't know how to use a certain feature. It also bothers me that there aren't "read" notifications in Slack, so you can't tell whether or not someone has seen your message. Kind of annoying when you're waiting for a reply on something.

Emails dropped dramatically, and team communication is at a all time high.

The CEO used to send giant massive emails to various team members. 45 responses later, it gets forwarded to everyone else. Now, the CEO communicates all of his ideas via Slack, the team picks it apart and makes modifications, and then it's only 1 single email that identifies the project outline.

Pros

It's really easy to get started. A user signs up, gets welcomed, and they can immediately be productive. You can even become a super Slack user and learn all of it's features within an hour. Threads and Direct Messages have changed our we communicate. There's a lot of integrations to simplify your life. Calendar apps to remind you of dates. Not to mention easy to develop bots for automation.

Cons

Slack is a tool, and if a company fails to identify the ground rules, it can be useless. The organizations that dislike using slack often have not defined rules around using it. For example: messaging people at 10pm isn't a problem - as long as you're okay with not getting a response. Another is passing communications to the right channels - dumping everything into General can cause message overload. It can get very pricey with a large team.

Great for Teams no matter where they are!

Slack has really impacted the way our team works. One of the reasons we looked at Slack was to improve collaboration between team members who aren't in the same location at our campus or happen to be working remotely. We had hoped to get the whole company using it. Unfortunately, most non-technical teams couldn't get a grasp on how to integrate it into their workflows. We wound up integrating Slack...

Pros

Slack is easy to use and simple to integrate with other products. My team uses it not only for Help Desk Support request notifications, but also for group conversations on projects.

Cons

There isn't a lot that I don't like about Slack. If I'm going to nitpick, it's not that easy to explain how to use something like Slack for the non-technical / non-tech savvy user. One of our biggest issues was adoption outside of our software development team. While Customer success stories are great, a walk-through scenario would go a long way to helping give users ideas about how they can use it on a day-to-day basis.

An extensive chatroom: ending useless email discussions

Overall, this is an easy and helpful chatroom for your work. It stops your emails from piling up, and you can ignore back-and-forth conversations with coworkers that would have clogged your email otherwise. It leaves room for both work and play related conversations, and the instant messaging feature is extremely helpful. I can send links or attachments in the chat without trying to text from my phone...

Pros

Have you ever been annoyed by your email inbox filling up with a conversation between coworkers? You get all the notifications piling up in your inbox, and you're wondering if you will have time to filter through the parts of the conversation that matter. Well! Look no further, because IF you can convince all your staff to use slack, it significantly decreases email chatter (which I found to be a huge...

Cons

Our team uses Asana, which doesn't have a chat feature, and I was hoping to make Slack that chat feature . You can add the app of Asana to Slack, but it isn't as intuitive to use. Sometimes the commands get confusing. There is a lot of " / asana " and you have to send the message before you can see the options of a result. It makes me paranoid that every time I send a message, they are getting backslashes everywhere! But those complications only come when you install apps to Slack. Everything else is intuitive and easy to use.

A firm favorite to help your business thrive

I've been using Slack since early days ...it's amazing. I love that the developers pledged to keep the free plan available, to help startups and small businesses – and that the new owners are honoring that pledge. I have enjoyed creating accounts for a number of my clients over the years. It's great that all our conversations are in one place, sorted by category and that conversations can be exported. As a member of several workspaces I love being able to navigate between them so easily. Finally, it's a real boon to have a robust search facility to locate snippets of text or shared documents that would have been hard to find on other platforms.

Pros

Slack is the only communication app that I always have open, no matter what. What I like most is the fantastic UI. The design is great "out of the box", but the real bonus is being able to customize it with your logo and brand color palette. I love being able to set up an account for a client and give them a color link that applies their branding to their desktop app with one click.

Cons

Navigating set up and preferences is clunky. Some features are hard to find, especially the custom branding, which is a shame as it's such a lovely feature. Once you find the right page, the process is a cinch! To change the colors: click on the tiny arrow to the right of the workspace name to get the dropdown menu. Choose "Preferences", NOT "Customize Slack" (that opens up a web page where you can...

It's changed the way we communicate!

As I said, it's changed the way we communicate. This is especially important for our company that's not only split between two main offices in different locations but now also has remote employees across four additional states. Slack helps us stay connected to the teammates we rarely see in person, allowing us to build friendships and maintain an awesome company culture. It also helps our entire team stay informed on everything that's happening within the company, from customer service to development.

Pros

Before Slack, our team primarily communicated through email and one-on-one chat services. This caused a lot of miscommunication and wasted time going back and forth between people, passing on information, etc. Using Slack took away all of that. Being able to chat through channels allows us to communicate with groups of people at one time so everyone has access to discussions that might apply to them. We also really value the video chat feature because we have several remote employees that you can talk to face to face with a click of a button. Which is far better than having to go open some separate video chat app just to make a phone call.

Cons

Slack can be a little "noisy" for some people, but there are ways around that, so I don't really consider it a bad thing. It's just up to each user to figure out how to make Slack work best for them. We've had some complaints within our team about the new text formatting, most specifically our engineers that preferred doing it on their own and find the new user-friendly format to actually be a hindrance. They'd really like for that to be a feature that each user to choose to enable or not.

Fast and Simple

All and all it's been good. I wish it were cheaper but it's not. For what it is though, Slack is an incredible communication tool that has been very reliable to us with no down time and no bugs.

Pros

First off we don't use any of the add-ons. They seem incredibly useful for those who need them but we just don't have the need. What we like about Slack is that it's simple and very fast. We used HipChat back in the day and liked that but once they got bought out by Slack we tried some Rocket.Chat and Microsoft Teams. In the end we had issues with both of these and decided to give Slack a shot. Slack is very simple and easy to use and is extremely quick. We constantly found the competition software would lag after as little as a month or two of use due to all the messages.

Cons

Price. Compared to the competition it's expensive. When Slack bought out HipChat we were initially bummed because our price per user was going from around $2 a month to $7 a month. As a company who doesn't use any of the add-ons this seemed a bit steep. All and all I would say it's still too expensive for what we use it for but the other options out there have issues so large we continue to use Slack.

Slack is a great collaboration tool for our team, improves communication and productivity.

I am very happy of using it as a main communication tool at work. And I have been using it for a few years now. Every colleague I worked with, they all like it. I hope slack keep up the good work and make more neat features for us all.

Pros

Slack is a team communication tool, it very well categories the different processes in different channels, restrict the conversation is relevant to the channel and everyone who join that channel can collaboratively contribute to the topics. It also provides a neat feature call thread, which you can start a discussion under a message and solve issues with that person. It reduces the distractions from...

Cons

when you enter a message without sending, it places that person's icon into a draft section in the navigation area. It is kind of tricky to find that person, if you forgot you have a pending message to send and you are wondering why that persion is disappeared from your direct message section. search bar can be improved as well, it would be nice to have more advanced search terms like what google does.

All Day, E'ery Day

It is so helpful to use with remote teams. I use it daily for two different employers, and actually convinced my main employer (a government agency) to start using slack. Slack allows teams to communicate easily and quickly, sharing links and documents all through the app. It also allows for camaraderie and fun, an important part of every workplace, even when you aren't physically with your team. The...

Pros

I love how easy it is to communicate with people, and the informal format the encourages communication rather than dissuades it. People might be less inclined to send an email or call because they are interrupting your work, but slack doesn't have that feeling at all.

Cons

The limit on shared images after you hit a certain threshold with the free version - to be fair, this is a minor inconvenience at most and just another reason to pay for it!

Connecting made easy

I have used many messaging platforms in my professional career and for me, Slack takes the cake! It is really modern and the features are very easy to use. I also like how Slack manages new feature release which you can always tell us based off of recent user feedback. Slack is extremely intuitive and my team team (even those who prefer to communicate less ) enjoy using it.

Pros

Slack is great for collaborating and communicating with your immediate team and across multi functional teams as well. Creating channels that are topic specific such as DevOps or functional area (product) specific allows people from across the organization to post questions, comments, share docs (slack has a larger file capacity that our email server), and subscribe to certain posts such as issue management. I really like the @all, channel, specific person functionality because of how it is linked to notification management. My other favorite slack feature is pinning certain threads which Slackbot can help remind you when new detail is published pertaining to the thread.

Cons

I wish that there was a history roll up available so I could check back maybe 4 moths or so to see who I talked to. For instance, I was recently troubleshooting a technical issue and knew I had spoken with someone before to resolve the same problem a few months back. However it was in a 1:1 direct message and for the life of me I could not remember their name! I wish there was some type of running history that could show me everyone I have corresponded with because there is only so much room in the section doe Direct Messages in the fixed Slack side bar/column. I also wish that I could get a daily roll up of direct message communications to my email because I like the notification I have setup for whenever a new Slack message comes accross.

Slack is a great software to improve communication in a team

The customization of Slack is not aesthetic, but it is about creating a workspace with the conditions needed by each person and each office. With that we can maintain a very good performance and is a constant experiment among developers because we try new options. In this way we can adapt Slack to our needs.

Pros

Slack is a very powerful software. It works great as a chat, but it's more than that. It is possible to respond to threads to maintain a conversation apart from the main one, to have channels to speak by topics, to give permissions so that a person can respond to a channel or another one, etc. It allows to control in many ways all the configurations that can occur to me to improve the communication in the equipment. It also integrates perfectly with other software, such as GitHub or Trello, for example. It's great because everything is in the same workspace, so I can concentrate on my work. The search bar is perfect: you can search for messages, sent files and within the same documents. This powerful functionality is perfect when we work with a lot of documentation.

Cons

Slack notifications sometimes take time to arrive, even though the message arrives instantly. It can be up to 5 minutes late, which is annoying if we are working hard and if time is a key factor at the time. It happens many times when you send a message from the Android app, it's a bit strange. Sometimes the Android app has unexpected shutdowns, even though it doesn't consume many resources. At first can be a little overwhelming so many functions that has Slack, it takes a couple of days to adapt and customize the entire workspace.

Remote working? You'll LOVE "the Slack."

As described above, slack helps me communicate with my colleagues, both professionally and personally. It does so with few glitches, quietly, appealingly, and seamlessly. Slack has helped me develop closer relationships with members of my teams, as well as reach out and develop relationships with colleagues with whom I don't usually interact. That said, the meat and potatoes is this: slack keeps me in touch with my teams even though we work in different places, in different time zones, and at different times. It helps us stay in touch, keep friendly communication open, and it allows us to easily share documents and truly collaborate.

Pros

Slack is a MUST for remote workers. The ease of setup makes it fantastic. The ease of use makes it phenomenal. The ability to collaborate and work together, to chat and have water cooler talk when your team all work in separate locations, is priceless. One thing that I appreciate: slack allows you to customize your away times and notification snoozes. It's a really pleasant experience, and its...

Cons

Honestly, I cannot think of anything I dislike about slack. I guess if I had to grouse about something, it would be that the "generic" icons (when you don't upload your own photo) have changed a few times, and I liked the original ones best. Can I just add that if that is my only complaint, they must be on to something?

Robust Project Collaboration Tool

My team uses Slack to collaborate on web analytics, web apps and web design projects in an agile style of project management versus waterfall. So, we can make enhancements to analytics and design in an incremental fashion and avoid doing lots of changes in one big release. This ensures maximum development work done with less errors. Our overall experience with Slack has been smooth which results in completing more projects successfully to meet stakeholders' needs in less time and with less mistakes.

Pros

Slack offers channel creation capability which has helped my team collaborate efficiently on specific projects such as analytics. We are able to share questions and files around code changes for analytics enhancements. Once an update is about to be made to existing code, our developers can reach out to the business analyst and get more clarifications on his analytics requirements. Whenever there is a new notification sent within the analytics channel, the business analyst will receive an email update so he can respond right away. Other users of the analytics channel, can also jump into the conversation, if needed.

Cons

To get maximum benefit from Slack, I feel its users always need to have the Slack app open in their smart phone or laptop. Since I also use Gmail and Google Hangout to collaborate, it's challenging to respond to messages in Slack right away, when I am also chatting in Google Hangout or checking my emails in Gmail. If Slack can be integrated more seamlessly into Gmail as a chat window so I can see latest...

Slack , if you're not using it you should be.

Really good, I contact four companies weekly, couldn't cope without it.

Pros

Powerful, easy to use, lots of options so it's both easy to start up with and become a power user.

Cons

Lots of options.. but maybe not the ones you need. The inability to move a direct message into folders is a pain. If a project moves/evolves you can't edit it retrospectively you can only press on. Which is a shame is you have stuffed saved you need to move.

Great team messaging application

Overall experience has been great. All the features work as intended. We have never had people miss notifications, fail to send attachments, not able to logon etc... All issues we have had with MS Teams.

Pros

It is very easy to use. Appealing graphical interface. Many integrations with other apps. Easy to use features. Shortcuts make work quick, as well as the slash commands. Easy to navigate, create channels (public or private) and customize for your team.

Cons

The cost is high. Our company has the paid version of slack, which is a great product. However, since we are using O365, teams is included for *free*. It was hard to justify keeping Slack as a paid product when we have another solution available. Keep in mind, teams is a sub par replacement.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.