Xero Reviews

4.3/5 (1,488 reviews)

Anonymous

Xero truly puts powerful data in the hands of small business owners

Reviewed 2018-08-15

I have been using Xero for a good number of years now and can only recommend it! The usability is fantastic, the ability to see really clearly how the accounts work is groundbreaking in its field. I love the bank reconciliation and the bank feeds. The automation of data is actually fun and linking it into the add-ons can make life a lot easier and save time and money. It is a great way to keep things simple and clear. I love the advisor features, that you can't break it (although you can make a real mess if not careful). For me the biggest benefit is the clarity of the data and the ability to drill down into virtually anything. Don't use Xero in super complex scenarios and I would recommend that you employ a proper XERO accountant - who actually knows how to use Xero and uses the data when using it though or you will end up paying twice - once for entering the data to xero - and again when the accountant pulls it out into their own software. Overall I would absolutely recommend Xero for people who are more serious than working in spreadsheets but who are turning over £50k-£3m+ with a fairly simple process.

Anonymous

Great, intuitive and easy to use bookkeeping software, lacking for accountants, NO customer services

Reviewed 2018-04-04

It is so easy to use but support has to come from Accountants who are not customer service or techies and who are not adequately compensated for their efforts. It is enjoyable to use and definitely does the basics very well.For bookkeeping, small and medium-sized businesses this software is a dream. It is the most intuitive and easiest to use of all the accounting software that we reviewed. As an accountant, it is easy to fix user errors and mis-postings. There is a proper audit trail and safety checks built in. There are so many time-saving features like find and recode, repeating bills/invoices/journals, bank rules. The move toward AI is exciting too.

Paul Dawson

Xero - Leading the way to making accounting much easier for small businesses

Reviewed 2017-05-17

I have been a Xero certified advisor for 8 years and actually returned the accounting profession because of Xero after deciding to leave because I felt the industry didn't understand delivering value to clients. Xero has been a catalyst for increasing the speed of change in the industry towards a value proposition model. Although like any system success with does come down to using it properly and being prepared to spend the time to understand how it works and to make the most of it, but Xero has been built so intuitively and they haveGreat design, intuitive, great support files and videos, invoicing features are very good, being able to add files to transactions is a big time saver, the fact that it is a full accounting system is great in its price range, although for more complex features you may need an add-on application for example full stock management and stock control.

William Evanikoff

The best at what it does

Reviewed 2016-08-29

Full Disclosure: I am an accountant and I recommend Xero to many of my clients. When the expectations are in alignment with the capabilities of the software, then everyone is happy. People get into trouble with ANY software when they jump in thinking they know what it does and are then disappointed. All accounting and ERP software has limitations and Xero is no exception, but what it does, it does well. It provides payables, receivables, bank reconciliation and general ledger as its core functionality. There is a very capable estimating/quoting/order/ process that ties into AR invoices smoothly. But, the requisition/purchase/inventory side is very, very basic. In fact there are no requisitions and the purchase orders are so limited that I recommend you not use them. The inventory is only what is needed to make the sales side functional. So, if you need strong inventory support, you have to use a third-party add-on designed just for this purpose.What is good about Xero are 1) Real-time bank feeds and bank reconciliation - this is what scared the pants off of Intuit and forced them to develop new functionality. 2) Xero fully embraces and enables third-party developers to provide niche solutions that have rich interaction with Xero. 3) The features keep getting better and better quarter after quarter. 4) Perhaps my relationship as a partner skews this, but I've had nothing but excellent support from Xero. I can call someone if I have to, but I almost always get issues resolved through technical support in a timely fashion. Some of my favorite add-ons for Xero are GeoOp for field services, Deputy which integrates its scheduling, time and attendance functions with Xero payroll, and Float which projects cashflow. The new reporting and the tags are fantastic.

Kristen Baskin, MA

Fantastic! I finally have the tools from Xero to drive my company to its greatest potential.

Reviewed 2017-11-10

Understanding the numbers! I'm finally educated about my own business, which sounds ridiculous, but so many business owners are creative dreamers that never look at the numbers. Even ones that are successful don't look at the numbers because they feel like it's not necessary - and that's the biggest lie in the world. It's so easy to share the reports with people at all levels in the company, and I feel a fantastic sense of control with the numbers because of Xero.Cloud availability, choice between manual or automatic accounting, incredible reports, easy to print, beautiful, fun to use, don't have to be an accountant to use it, fantastic break-down of categories and overhead vs. cost of goods. Shows great percentages - growth overall, percentage of sales per category and percentage of expenses per category - easy to understand the nuts and bolts of your business with Xero and make quick changes to your business model when a problem arises.

Karen Gibb

Xero or MYOB?

Reviewed 2018-09-13

Xero & MYOB. I love them both - for different reasons. If you're a MYOB lover, do not be afraid of the transition. Simply view Xero as different and you'll be fine. Don't expect to find things in the same dropdown tabs - as it's a different set-up. Once you're familiar, you'll love the ease of use. Very user friendly, not overcrowded on your pages with too much writing, easy to see information (card files for clients) all on one page - very easy to read and find the information you're after. Give Xero a try - I know you won't be disappointed. Love the ease of access. We have a team based in Australia, India, & South America - so the online platform is brilliant. As a previous MYOB user (& lover of MYOB), I was surprised with the ease of transition from MYOB to Xero. I also really enjoy how easy it is to link client card files noting the company directors, primary contacts, banking details etc. Very easy to view all the information in one place! Love being able to send the BAS' from Xero as well with a click of the button, and being able to modify & tweak great templates is a MUST.

Brent Lionel Mausisa

I used Xero for reviewing clients' invoices and checking our collectibles.

Reviewed 2018-05-05

I used to be the marketing and accounts assistant for Expert360, and use Xero together with our accountant based on Pakistan. Xero makes it easy for us to send an invoice to our corporate, medium and small business clients. It allows us to view the overdue invoices, which enables us to follow-up on those payables. We were able to see the money that we had collected and the money that still needs to be collected. It also allowed us to track the payables to our consultants. Over all, Xero is an easy-to-use accounting software. It's user-friendly functions and features allows you to instantly view the cash flow of your business.

Ray Wells

Overall great. Recently, shocking!

Reviewed 2018-07-19

Overall, it's a good product. Easy to use. Simple UI though quite dated. It does everything we need it to plus more.

Phill Dromgool

Overall great, but one flaw to be vary of

Reviewed 2015-07-19

I have been using Xero for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. I was with MYOB but had a bad experience when they upgraded their systems to include cloud computing. I have had a look at their new systems, and while they are much improved and worth exploring for someone starting from scratch, I will still stick with Xero. My accountants use it extensively so it makes my work and their work integrate so easily which ultimately saves money. Reconciliation is a very labour intensive exercise and Xero cuts a huge amount of time out of this process. On its own it is quite cheap too. I have an expensive plugin (Tradegecko), but the functionality of that pays for itself. Xero creates the framework of my entire business system.

Johan Potgieter

A great option

Reviewed 2018-12-08

As a firm we switched to xero almost a year ago, and it transformed the way we approach accounting services for clients - for the better. Our own internal accounting became a lot easier and smoother, with the greater collaboration that we needed. But it also changed our clients that we switched over to xero, from other cloud accounting software or traditional desktop softwareThere isn’t a lot of cloud accounting software today that can handle the more complex businesses as well as xero. The automatic bank feeds (they are adding new direct bank feeds constantly), the integrations with over 700 third party applications Automatic invoice reminders Ability to do flexible budgeting and forecasting in xero and report on it Tracking Categories and reporting on a Category is super easy Fixed asset register is included and easy depreciation allocation Unlimted users (great basic permissions - more flexibility lacking) There is constant updates and upgrades with a solid product improvement pipeline

Alexandra Bono

This has revolutionized our bookkeeping and reduced our accounting fees.

Reviewed 2018-03-07

Save time, greater control over my business, fewer errors, save money, more visibility of overall financial health of business. Allows me to work remotely. I have no bookkeeping background and was able to easily learn how to use Xero. My business partner and I can login from anywhere in the world and get an up to date picture of our finances, pay invoices, review reports, check profitability and more. Our year end process is much faster and streamlined and we feel like we have much more control over our business. We have integrated data from our POS system (Touch Bistro) using the Shogo Integration tool and allows us to track sales by category alongside costs. We have also integrated Payment Evolution with Xero so we can run payroll and make EFT payments to suppliers directly. Invoices are closed out automatically and remittance notices provided saving time, money and keeping our suppliers happy.

Markus Hugenschmidt

Xero is awesome, albeit expensive when running multiple entities

Reviewed 2016-12-05

We've moved from another software 4 years ago and have not looked back. Bank feed setup is easy, recon is a breeze. There are lots of add-ons which can assist with specific needs and there are tons of integrations with sales force and other big guns. The only issues I see is pricing. If you run multiple entities (i.e. for service companies or trusts) the subscription cost adds up quickly. This is because the most basic plan is essentially useless (5 bank transactions a month... if that's all you need, you don't run a business). Compared to emerging competitors pricing is very high. Another issue, if you rely on it, is email support only. While responses come back within 1 to 3 days, players like Intuit have live chat support, which is amazing at their price point. All in all, Xero is a solid solution for us though and while we've moved some (nonpayroll) entities off it and onto QuickBooks, it remains our accounting mainstay for the core operations entity. Hope this helps.easy to use ticks all boxes for SME accounting many integration

Sherm Stevens, Creative Marketing Genius

Perfect replacement for Quickbooks - Highly Recommended

Reviewed 2018-01-09

I've used Intuit Quickbooks since 1995. I used to upgrade it about every 10 years, and eventually went with a monthly subscription to take advantage of upgraded features, notably auto-connecting with my online bank accounts. Unfortunately, QB would not connect with Paypal so I decided to abandon it. I searched for a replacement, checked out FreshBooks (which really isn't an accounting program, it's just an invoicing program -- sort of useless) and came upon Xero. I signed up for a free demo account and really liked it particularly because it connects to my bank and Paypal seamlessly. I like it for its reporting, and easy to get at everything that I need. I run a marketing agency and it's just about a perfect fit. Easy email-invoicing, with easy connections to online payments through Paypal (Quickbooks tries to force you to use their merchant account). I set up my clients one at a time as I invoice them each month, email the invoice (with a PDF attachment) with a link to pay with a card, and the software tracks the payment and credits the client's account immediately.

Bill Bardon

Complete true accounting online

Reviewed 2018-08-17

Prior to Xero I was using a PC-based app. It lacked any connectivity and all data had to be manually imported and exported. I needed to automate as much of my day-to-day business operations as possible, and Xero was a big part of that. It integrates with my CRM and time-tracking app, and takes in my online payment processing. Reconciliation takes a minute or two every couple of days. It has enabled me to reduce my after-hours office time significantly.Xero is a new-generation online accounting app built from the ground up for online usage. The interface is mostly intuitive and easy to navigate. The underlying framework is true double-entry accounting with all the power that provides, but you don't have to go there to get daily work done, as a rule. There is a vast array of integrations available to add leverage to your company dataflow. Support is good and rarely needed. The app is very well documented and supplies detailed help articles for most operations.

Michael Brady

One of the absolute cutting edge, super-easy on the eyes, full function bookkeeping apps

Reviewed 2018-11-22
Review Source: Software Advice

Accounting and bookkeeping are my business, so being able to demo such an aesthetically pleasant app that integrates so well is a real boon. Clients take immediately to the UI and we've genuinely had a 90% on-board rate with Xero. We've tried other Apps, but we won't be working with any other software. There's really there's nothing out there we'd rather recommend. I have found their CS to be first rate, (despite my Account Manager statement), and this end of any accounting SAAS is absolutely vital. Xero has set the standard for over a decade and it's a testimony to their Devs that they're growing steadily despite their giant competition.Smooth-running and numerous integrations with other essential business management apps Reasonably priced for small business Has integrated inventory and billing through PayPal and Stripe

Ellen Watts

Almost makes accounts fun

Reviewed 2019-01-16

Over all though I love xero - it's made my accounting much faster and because my accountant has access too , any challenges or questions on my product or project codes can be quickly resolved by sending her a note from within the system. I love that xero does everything for both my businesses on the same dashboard - I can just toggle between the 2. The invoices look great and are well recieved by my corporate clients making me look professional and bigger than I am. The VAT is calculated for the quarter at the click of a button and I can even post directly to HMRC from within xero. Most of all though it tells me that I've done a good job each time I get my reconcilations done - which always makes me smile.

Kelly Christian

Xero is my accounting software of choice for all my clients

Reviewed 2018-10-13

Xero, along with several add-ons have allowed me to realize my dream of having and growing my business while having the location freedom to travel and escape from the Canadian winters! It has also allowed me to grow my business to serving clients all across Canada and the USA which is something that would dnot have been possible using the software and business model I had previously.I love that it is a fully functional accounting package that is cloud-based. It allows me and my clients to work from anywhere and still keep our numbers and business running smoothly. Since my business focuses mainly on Entrepreneurs running businesses online the amazing suite of integrations makes thins so much "easier" for my clients on a day to day basis.

Mike Brady

Makes the bookeeping process logical and easy to follow

Reviewed 2018-03-14
Review Source: Software Advice

If you’re a small or startup business owner and haven’t any understanding of bookkeeping, try watching some of the better youtube videos, especially those done by bookkeepers and accountants on basic theory and practice. Take your study seriously and cross-reference information. Then watch the Xero videos available, not just from the company itself but also from accountants and bookkeepers. Good luck and welcome to the 21st century of online bookkeeping!Xero has an interface that's easy to read and to navigate. The setup process is well presented and the support is good in response to tickets and also in their excellent training programs. Once you’ve understood how the flow of importing transactions and bank feeds, reconciling and generating reports is presented, you can keep your bookkeeping well ahead of any competitor’s product.

Anonymous

Solid accounting software for a small business

Reviewed 2018-03-19

Great overall financial management for our small business. Easy to approve and share transactions, and to see a road map for our financial future before our accountant gives us monthly reports.Easy to create invoices, match transactions between Xero and your bank, and simple to view your daily balance. Invoices look professional with logo and custom business information, and you can email invoices to clients directly from Xero. You can also use their payroll portal, but we don't use that particular feature. Xero also connects with Stripe, our credit card processing company, and automatically handles the processing fees. We appreciated how easily it integrated with Stripe.

Ryan Wimmer, CPA

Best accounting software for mid-sized businesses

Reviewed 2018-01-09

Xero is very intuitive and easy to use. As an owner of an accounting company focusing on bookkeeping, I use Xero exclusively. The other competitor in this arena is QBO. While their functionality and integrations are similar, Xero excels with amazing customer service, a more solid platform (they have been in the web-based game longer) and ease of use. All of my clients that have used both prefer Xero as well. Intuit is too large a company and you get thrown around when you have questions. Xero customer services is friendly and quick. They are honestly a pleasure to work with.

Kevin McKelvy

Fantastic Online Accounting Software

Reviewed 2016-11-05

I've started doing some bookkeeping, and I've immediately gravitated toward Xero because of it's ease of use and outstanding customer & partner support. The company that dominates this market has (in my experience) horrendous customer support. That's where Xero really stands out as a strong competitor. I find their functionality to be much better than the current market leader AND I can easily get help if I need it. Where Xero shines is in making reconciliation easy. It learns as you go and makes intelligent suggestions that make future reconciliations faster. The cash coding feature is also a real time-saver as it allows me to reconcile larger numbers of transactions that will all be coded to the same account. Xero also offers direct download from a large number of financial institutions. Even being in Arkansas, I've been able to download statements directly from all the banks I've needed. Xero has a huge marketplace of add-ons to assist with things like Point of Sale, Inventory Management, Sales Tax filing and much more. It's safe to say any small business should be able to get all of their accounting and bookkeeping needs met within the Xero ecosystem, and they'll get much better customer support there than with other products.Ease of use Cloud-based Tools to streamline reconciliation Huge array of add-ons to meet a variety of marketplace needs

Anonymous

A simple web-based bookkeeping suite with useful app integrations and bank feeds

Reviewed 2018-05-28

As a new business owner with no prior accounting experience or education, Xero has been an excellent way to keep our business running smoothly.As a user of Vend POS we are able to integrate using an extension with Xero, which simplifies our stock control and invoice payment and reconciliation workflow tremendously. The Xero suite has been a simple experience and we have been using it for Payroll for a year as well. Our CPAs are able to access and use the data to work on our tax returns as well.

Cristina Garza

Xero- Beautiful accounting for both the business owner and accountant

Reviewed 2014-08-10

As a small business owner and accountant, I have tried many accounting softwares. I was a Quickbooks Pro Advisor for five years and relied heavily on an expensive and inconsistent server to share data with clients. A forward thinking, tech savvy client mentioned Xero to me a few years ago and I blew him off. I have seen accounting software try to compete with Quickbooks and many have failed. I was afraid of ditching the my current method of working with my clients, because I didn't want to have to deal with the struggle of switching software, only to have to do it again after the business tanks or bugs in the code would cause me to become far too frustrated. After several more clients mentioned Xero, I thought I would give it a shot. I tested the software out, totally putting it through the ringer. I used a client as a beta tester and asked for feedback on it. We worked on the file together and tried our best to break the program. After a month of working on Xero, I was hooked! I took all of my clients off of the server and Quickbooks and moved them to Xero and I am so glad that I did. Highlights of Xero (from prospective of an accountant) - I can work with my clients in real time: Clients can leave us notes, can see what we are seeing, and can use Xero on smartphones and laptops- you aren't tied to an operating system - I don't have to waste time on data entry: Bank feeds are magical - I am able to achieve great results at a fraction of the cost: no software upgrades to pay for, no server costs - CPAs still get all of the data they need via Xero reports - Xero customer service is tops- Have an issue? They handle the issue quickly - Xero add ons are amazing and you accounting system can be tied with an SaaS application quickly and easily. - Ease of use: Understandable menus- navigation is a cinch - Cost: a fraction of the cost of Quickbooks Desktop + a server and on par with Quickbooks Online - SaaS integration- Have a software you need connected? There is likely an API for it

Naomi Westfall

Great, Easy to Use and Learn Accounting Software

Reviewed 2018-02-28

- Easy to learn software! - Easy to use - Great reporting - Great audit trail to see where users are editing - Easy to edit mistakes and see where they came from - Easy to set up and guides were very helpful This software was such a great tool for our company. We use it across several businesses and share (varied) access with managers and accounting staff. Customize-able dashboard was great to see everything you needed upon opening the program. Great, in depth reporting to really audit and track anything that makes your company tick. I would highly recommend this software!

Mackenzie Manaton

Functionality, Ease of Use

Reviewed 2018-10-08

Xero has allowed our firm to fully utilise technology and integrate our accounting processes with other software and apps, which allows us to expand our service offering to clients. Xero offers many great functions which makes modern day accounting just that - modern! A big timesaver is that Xero gets the client to regularly go in and code all transactions, which is one less job for the accountant. Xero is also very user friendly in that it is easy to quickly log in and download the latest profit and loss or balance sheet to see where the business is in real-time, instead of having to wait for the end of year accounts to be prepared. Customer support is also excellent and very efficient. It helps that Xero lets you invite Xero support into the Xero account you are having issues with.