Xero Logo

Accounting software for small business

Xero Reviews

Suggested alternatives

intacct
netsuite
zoho-books

I have been with Xero for many years. I love the sense of community and i LOVE that I am not being asked to upgrade or upcharge the way some other companies do.
I love the app and gives me accounting on the go. Helps me track invoices and profits with ease.
The ease of use and reputation are by far the greatest part of this product. In addition to this, the range of potential integrations is fantastic.
There are no delivery notes/packing slips. They tout a "workaround" but be warned, it's exactly 10 extra clicks so it's really not an option if you need this feature.
Our main complaint is that Xero stopped doing payroll in 2018, so now you have to pay an additional fee to a payroll processor such as Gusto.
Changing accounting software from Xero is a horrible experience. They make it very difficult to pivot to other software.

2,924 reviews

EE

Eric E.

General Manager - Finance

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees

Xero User Review

Transcript

Eric: Hello, my name is Eric. I'm the General Manager of Group Finance. For Xero, I'll give it a rating...

KK

Karim K.

Finance Controller

Design, 11-50 employees

One stop Accounting solutions for Small to Medium organisations.

Transcript

Karim: Hi, my name is Karim and I'm the finance controller of a printing and design industry. I would...

Kathryn H.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Affordable professional level accounting software for small business

It's been easier to use Xero than I expected, but I had a nasty surprise at tax time when I realized the default accounts/descriptions for expenses did not correlate 1:1 to IRS categories. (I should have checked this more closely when I set up my accounts because it's a New Zealand company, and the previous product was local.) This means I will need to double-check all my transactions for 2018 and...

Pros

Professional double entry software at a very affordable price Accommodates both cash and accrual accounting Links to financial institutions to get transactions Uses standard importer recognized by the financial institutions instead of just trying to log in remotely (and triggering fraud alerts) Can match multiple invoices to a single deposit transaction imported from bank Can keep using Xero as company grows

Cons

Pre-existing expense categories/descriptions don't map 1:1 with IRS definitions, so I'm having to go back to all my receipts to make sure expenses are entered in proper accounts because I didn't realize this when I switched More difficult to focus on specific expense categories to check transactions Have not been able to import historic data from previous app (possibly because it's not double entry) so I am still paying the subscription on that software to retain access to my data No integration with Craftybase, so I have to enter supply purchases and customer invoices there independently

BT

Bodamer T.

Translation and Localization, 11-50 employees

Xero is an accounting tool that outshines the rest. It makes accounting very reliable

We are getting a very precise experience working on our finances with Xero. It has made it easy for us to streamline all our financial activities. Xero keeps us in check on our expenses and budget.

Pros

Xero provides us with very informative financial reports that allows us to gauge and weigh our financial position. Its security tools are so good and keeps all our data secure. It makes it so easy to keep a close look into our expenditure by tracking our expenses. Xero has a very secure book keeping space that helps us consolidate our financial files abd receipts.

Cons

No concerns whatsoever about Xero. It has been great and has shown us it great value.

AH

Andrea H.

Furniture, 1-10 employees

Stop messing with what is not broken

Appalling. They do not listen to their customers. Look at the Xero Central feedback and comments. A very unhappy customer base.

Pros

It used to be good - but now the 'improvements team' have ruined a good product.

Cons

The development team are taking their lead from govt depts to incorporate e-invoicing and other 'goals' but dropping essential functionality. Listen to your customer base. Look at the Xero Central reviews. Your customers are leaving in droves, hence the marketing push for 75% discount to new users. Filling up your customer tank to replace those who were dissatisfied and left.

ED

Edwina D.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Happy user

Pros

The convenience and ease of use and I love how I can make the changes myself.

Cons

The price is a little high for something I use myself.

JH

Jelena H.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Pros

Ease of access , connected to my other CRMs

Cons

Login security - don’t need double security

TT

Thomas T.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Xero is the best tool for the job

Xero makes accounting really quick and easy. It's easy to create, edit and manage transactions, and it makes organisation a breeze.

Pros

Integration with other software packages such as WorkflowMax and Rapport3, the number of reports available, easy bank reconciliation and automatic bank account syncing.

Cons

It takes a working day to pull through bank account data. This is an understandable limitation, but I'd love to see Xero create a way around it one day. Waiting a day to see if payments have come in is a pain, especially over the weekend.

DD

Daniel D.

Building Materials, 1-10 employees

Great reliable accounting sofware

Pros

It's user-friendly interface. It hardly, or never crashes leaving you with all your work lost. It's very reliable.

Cons

Although there is a way to create customizable invoices templates, its not very user-friendly. It must be made using merge fields in Windows word, a tool not very familiar to regular people. Maybe an upgrade on the invoice template/layouts would be nice received by the community.

MT

Mario T.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Great tool for invoicing but needs more features

Pros

Very use friendly and easy to use and all basic features work as intended when generating invoices.

Cons

It lacks customization features and that's what my business needs as with other tools, I can customize basically everything and with Xero the customization is very basic

JA

Joana A.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Cloud-based accounting software

Pros

It can easily access from anywhere, anytime, with real-time updates.

Cons

The Price is higher compared to some competitors, especially for advanced features or additional users.

JW

John W.

Security and Investigations, 51-200 employees

Simple and easy

Pros

What i like most about using Xero is the simplistic layout and ease of use

Cons

I don’t have anything I like the least about Xero. It’s so simple to use

Adam H.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Absolutely love Xero

Xero has allowed us to get a real, detailed view on the financial situation within our company from one place. With a comprehensive setup, it can provide real value from day one.

Pros

Xero has transformed our financial management and provides us with all the real time data we could imagine, and where it lacks, integrations take over. While more "accountancy" friendly than some of the more simple products, once you work with your accountants to get this right, you won't regret it. The detail, features and holistic approach to managing company finances means that we are using this every day and with pleasure.

Cons

The interface is being updated, and it is needed as it is a little old fashioned in its design. That said, it is clean and clear and otherwise we love everything about Xero.

PB

Peter B.

Design, 1-10 employees

Xero is made for accountants and not small business or tradies.

Xero is quick to reconcile but so are the other brand options. I am making a lot of money for my accountant because I always need to ring and get help.

Pros

Easy reconciliation but this is a feature of most brands now.

Cons

Reports are impossible to configure and source the data I need. The layout is poor and not user friendly. The technical terms used are common to accountants but make no sense to small business operators. The online help is useless and takes forever to get a response. Feature requests are ignored and not even responded to. There are other brands that offer a much easier user interface and at a fraction...

JK

Judah K.

Accounting, self-employed

Solid platform

So far, it has been amazing. I have little to no complaints. Everyone that I have moved to Xero have told me thank you.

Pros

Xero is an accounting software that just works. I have used so many different platforms, and Xero has been the easiest and most reliable software I have found.

Cons

1099 reports are too limited. Tracking categories are too limited. Support can phone it in when you first reach out to them, but if you set up a time to chat with someone they are extremely helpful.

MV

Monika V.

Xero for Business

I am happy, can be connected with my clients all the time, can prepare reports anywhere, anytime. I think the price for South Africa is a bit high

Pros

I like the product is easy to use, no need high knowledge of accounting, the person who never was doing accounting can easily manage this product

Cons

there is still missing a few things as inventory shall be a bit changed as people with two inventories in different places can not have two storages, there are few things that missing and can make it easier to work with

RJ

Rowena J.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

It took me a while, but I am a Xero convert!

When I first began using Xero, I had heard a lot about it and was skeptical. Surely, no software could be so "all that"! I was introduced to it by a colleague who has converted the whole of her mid-size accountancy practice to it, and literally within a day and a half (which did include watching some of the short but very clear tutorial videos) I was not only up and running, but felt confident using it, finding my way around it, locating and fixing errors etc. It's literally that simple and straightforward. It's also incredibly stable - I think in 3 years it's only been offline (to my knowledge) 3 times, each for a very short period. I've also not found ANY bugs so far - almost unheard of! - and the support is fantastic, even though it's online.

Pros

Provided it's set up properly, Xero is probably the most friendly accounting software - to non-accountants that is - of any I've ever come across. Back in the 90's, MYOB revolutionised accounting software for small business, but Xero takes it to a whole new level, by removing so much of the data entry work that takes time, leaves room for errors and is in general a pain, when you'd rather be - you know, running your business. With Xero, it's up to the individual operator how much they want to automate their accounting transactions; if you want to, you can use the really powerful, but still simple tools to do a lot of the legwork for you. If you prefer to do it more manually, that's OK too - it's still simple and very quick and easy to use.

Cons

Xero is constantly adding and refining its software. Inventory control is an area I'd like to see strengthened, but that's already way ahead of where it was a couple of years ago. Similarly processing payments in advance. But these are relatively small niggles which for the majority of small businesses don't present any issue.

AW

Andrew W.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Xero makes finance so easy

Since starting with Xero over six years ago, we couldn't be happier. We've centralised all our financial activity into one platform, which is great for non-finance people like myself!

Pros

Xero makes managing the finances for a business really straightforward. The user interface is intuitive and it centralises all my accounts information. One of my favourite features is the the dashboard, which is clear and customisable, and gives a great summary of the position position at any time. The software also integrates really well to other platforms for things like receipt capture and detailed business analysis.

Cons

I'm really happy with how it performs, however, our bookkeeper still does some levels of manual reporting, which he finds easier in Excel, than in Xero. The integration of BA tools does negate this issue.

Rino N.

Accounting, 201-500 employees

Xero - The Cloud Based Software of the future

Fantastic product with fantastic support and really meaningful input from the actual company staff

Pros

Xero's main benefit to us as a mid tier accounting firm is the ease of importing information. It supports multiple bank feeds on a reliable basis and its open API allows for the support of many add in apps

Cons

Being a non-technical software, it does sometimes give the impression of not being as robust in terms of ease of change of prior information. This can be overcome by locking down periods, one just has to remember to do this though.

SD

Simon D.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Xero leads the way for cloud based accounting software for small to medium businesses

Very good. It certainly seems to be market leader and for good reason.

Pros

Although may not feature the type of reporting that would set it apart from competitors, it has good integration with other apps that can generally to the job. For accountants, the customer support is good enough. There is a large community so you can usually find the answer you need if you run into an issue

Cons

Not every useful report is available. And may never get them if they arent on the roadmap. Only really found one strange issue around perpetual revaluing of forex that has not been resolved, and likely wont ever be. Its not critical, but would be useful.

FB

Faruk B.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

A great premium software with the all the right integrations

Overall, Xero is great accounting software available in the clould. Its ability to allow workers to work remotely and monitor work is highly useful. It has great accounting tools at your fingertips. The great selection of integrations also help with syncing workflows and tasks cross different platforms like document collections and processing, job management and payment processing.

Pros

There is a constant improvement of the Xero Blue platform with new integrations coming all the time (like the Karbon integration for contact sync just announced) The Dashboard is highly intuitive and gives an up to date snapshot of the business when you loginThe ability to create reports is highly useful, especially the new update that gives a modern interface with features like budgets for P & L Statements. The ingratiations (an constantly expanding selection)

Cons

Features like HubDoc that come with Xero have not been updated in years. When compared to their competitors like DEXT they are severely lacking in features and usability. Xero invoicing is very basic, no ability for direct debit payments, no engagement letter etc. Document management software like Suitfiles needs to be used, there is currently no direct integration for document management like Karbon has. Integrations into Xero Green (XPM) basic, XPM has not been updated in many years and to an overhaul to compete. Pricing when compared to software like software assistant is more premium.

SW

Sue W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Xero for non profits

Now that I am up and running I really like it. The nominal structure is very different to Sage Line 50 but the principles are the same. I was advised by multiple accountants to choose Xero or Sage online above Quickbooks

Pros

Online means that we can share information across the team as we do not work from a central office.

Cons

I did need an expert to help me set up Xero and make sure all the data was imported correctly. We bought in around 10 hours of expert help to get us started.

Great, intuitive and easy to use bookkeeping software, lacking for accountants, NO customer services

It is so easy to use but support has to come from Accountants who are not customer service or techies and who are not adequately compensated for their efforts. It is enjoyable to use and definitely does the basics very well.

Pros

For bookkeeping, small and medium-sized businesses this software is a dream. It is the most intuitive and easiest to use of all the accounting software that we reviewed. As an accountant, it is easy to fix user errors and mis-postings. There is a proper audit trail and safety checks built in. There are so many time-saving features like find and recode, repeating bills/invoices/journals, bank rules. The move toward AI is exciting too.

Cons

The reports aren't GAP or IAS compliant so it is no good for reporting, final accounts production or tax. To get accountants interested and recommending Xero in the early days, they promised accountants that Final Accounts Production and Corporation Tax software was in their development queue but it never materialised and they burnt a lot of bridges with accountants when they announced that they had...

Garreth N C.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Expensive But Good

Overall it has saved time, mostly thru automation of bank accounts and bank rules. As with all software there is some frustration, but Xero are continually improving.

Pros

The software is easy to setup, easy to use, very transparent and well-supported by many accountants. It is designed with the end-user in mind, rather than the accountant. Depending on your package, it allows filing direct with IRD for GST and Payroll.

Cons

There is no phone support, only via a web portal. Some matters are not documented well in any of the Xero-supplied "how to" e.g. best practice for issuing dividends.

YH

Yongmei H.

Events Services, 1-10 employees

Our business partner

Pros

It’s very simple to use. It has all the features that our business requires from an accounting softwares. You can do payroll and VAT all in one place and submit from Xero with one click. It is extremely convenient. It is like another helpful staff in our company.

Cons

Nothing really. Everything about Xero is really good. We are absolutely satisfied.

Nayari C.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

An ideal system for our financial management.

It is a software that allows the automation of routine tasks such as bank reconciliation has freed up valuable time, allowing me to focus on strategic financial analysis and achieve better decision making. With Xero I can generate personalized reports and in real time it gives me a clear vision of the company's financial performance, which makes it easier to identify areas for improvement and growth opportunities. Honestly, it is a system that greatly facilitates my duties as Finance Manager.

Pros

Since I've been using Xero, I've really liked it, as it has proven to be an exceptional solution for optimizing our financial management. It has an intuitive and easy-to-use interface that allows me to quickly access key financial data such as balance sheets, income statements, and cash flows. It has an automated bank reconciliation feature, which is a real plus, because it saves us time and ensures the accuracy of our financial records. It has characteristics that are key to our objectives.

Cons

Xero is an almost perfect system, because it can have limitations in terms of customization. Some of the advanced reports and features may require technical knowledge or expert assistance. Another disadvantage is its integration with other business systems, which can be difficult in some cases and cause data synchronization difficulties.

JD

John D.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees

Concerns with Xero

We've been using Xero for about two years now. There have been a few hiccups along the way but for the most part things have been ok. Recently however, we've had a problem with our bank feed uploading into Xero in order to reconcile transactions. We first encountered this issue on 2/10/18. We informed Xero and they said they would look into the issue. A couple of weeks went by without hearing anything...

Pros

The service accomplishes most of what it was intended to do albiet at a bit of a learning curve for the new user.

Cons

There is no customer service support number to call. Bank feeds do not work properly. IOS app is mising some functionaility