Freedcamp Logo

Freedcamp

Project management & collaboration platform for businesses

Freedcamp Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.93/10

Reviews by rating

I like the opportunity of being able to have dialogue with other members of the committee and it gives the opportunity for real time reporting.
Another thing I like that others don't seem to adopt is the task views, I personally like the Kanban view which allows you to mark tasks as: No Progress, In Progress, and Completed.
The specialty features sometimes confuse me as to what the actual purpose is because they aren't all that intuitive.
Sub-task completion can be confusing, as the parent item is not marked as completed automatically.
Since I only use time-tracking function it's very frustrating that every time I create a new project I have to manually disable all the ofter functions which I won't use.

Chirag K.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

All-In-One Project Management Tool

Pros

It's a solid platform without any glitches and errors. It has many features but I personally like their bulk task creation, you can import a list from an excel file and create tasks in bulk, don't know of many PM tools that have this feature. It also many other 3rd party integrations and works seamlessly.

Cons

There is a learnig curve and I feel like Freedcamp UI/UX isn't updated as per the current trends. There are so many things you can do with this tool but it's overwhelming.

Graphic Design, 11-50 employees

Freedcamp is a great project management tool that allows teams to collaborate.

Overall Freedcamp is great tool for project management.

Pros

Using the entry-level (free) set up covers a lot of needs for most uses. This allows you to use the software and learn what works and doesn't for your team and fully gauge the need for paid services.

Cons

Expanding their add-ons to a variety of applications is probably the biggest issue. Though not a huge blocker, it opens up the application to be used by more companies already mid-stride in their business decisions. For example, Freshbooks integrates with the invoicing application but it takes some work to get Quickbooks to do so.

KG

Kayla G.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Best for the Price, but requires outside the box customization

We are using it for all project management, and with our manual customization and workflow, its worth the extra effort for the cost saving.

Pros

Free to use, easy to add new users and clients.

Cons

No easy way to mark project status or move projects through a kanban style workspread.

JB

Jos B.

International Trade and Development, 1-10 employees

Freedcamp, great value for money

The myriad of things to think of in handling over 40 projects simultanously for sourcing and product development.Since I use project management software the productivity has gone up significanntly, not in the least because of the ease of use of Freedcamp

Pros

I like the ease of use for generating projects and for monitoring projects. I tried different project apps, but Freedcamp stands out; it's fast, has sufficient options and is easy to adjust, both for the admin as for each individual user. The pricing is another factor; the paid options are definitely value for money.

Cons

Missing options at this moment: - integrated email client- integrated email client- integrated email client- wechat integration- baidu cloud integrationLiterally the only thing really missingI dream of a world where Freedcamp has an integrated email client that allows the user to link emails and messages to a project, and that automatically saves attachments to the project folder.And since I work from...

EY

Eric Y.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Great (Unknown) Project Mgmt Tool

I use Freedcamp every day and love it. It is general enough to be useful in any industry, but it has enough features and functionality to be useful for specific industries like mine (legal) that have a significant need for quality project mgmt software.

Pros

I can't say enough good things about Freedcamp plus it has so many features, it is hard to pick just the best one. I judge software, in part, on how much I enjoy using it. Is it useful, beneficial, or even fun to use? Or, does it leave me disappointed, confused, or frustrated. Freedcamp is a joy to use, and it helps me keep my projects on track as well as my coworkers. I am surprised it is not as well known as some competitors like Trello. It should be!

Cons

Freedcamp has some complexity in terms of customizing projects, groups, etc. It can be done but there is a slight learning curve.

EM

EW M.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

For small organizations, this is a great free option

Pros

I'm a freelancer working with several different clients. I use Freedcamp with clients who aren't already using another project-management service, and the free version gives me everything I need. My clients don't take to it immediately; they prefer to rely on email for most communication and file-sharing, but for my own personal projects or for working with subcontractors, I like the file-sharing capabilities and the calendar integrations. Filling out an honest survey about why Freedcamp has been a useful solution is the very least that I can do to thank them for keeping a free option for the platform, so here I am!

Cons

I wish that I didn't have to pay to get the ability to copy projects, but it was smart business for them to withhold that from the free service, because I've *almost* broken down and gotten it. But I'm a penny-pincher, so I'm holding out. I also still haven't quite figured out how to get global teams working quite right, but that's probably on me!

RC

Ryan C.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

A well balanced mix of features

I’ve implemented and used Freedcamp to run my own projects and several for my clients in industry and Govt for several years now. I find it consolidates project tracking, communication & file management brilliantly - and in a very user friendly manner.

Pros

Compared to its competitors, I’ve liked that - it consolidates several features that typically get spread across multiple products. - the mix of features however are not overwhelming, as can happen with a few others like Clickup - it’s usually immediately useable and understood even by non technical users - their free tier is very generous

Cons

2 features I wish were available more cheaply - the Gantt chart - mindmaps (though this one is a “nice to have”)

SP

Shaun P.

Internet, self-employed

Without Freedcamp I wouldn't be able to handle the flow of projects.

I've never had an issue with Freedcamp, it does what it says on the tin!

Pros

Gantt Chart functionality and issue tracker. The widget page is great to see an overview of all tasks.

Cons

The Gantt Chart functionality could be improved for shifting tasks around in a group, by drag and drop instead of a shift by x days.

Internet, self-employed

Love Freedcamp

Pros

Really easy to use, great features, fantastic pricing, great support.

Cons

The API could be better - not always intuitive or clear.

Sporting Goods, self-employed

A Solid Product Full of Features That needs a Restyling

We are very happy and using it daily but with our side projects as the User interface is very very outdated if this will be soon redesigned it will be for sure on top of most of the similar PM apps

Pros

Whitelabel portal email notification and custom fields implementation ability to add easily task and project

Cons

The user interface is not that easy to follow and can be highly improved a missing detailed onboard approach which covers all the features of the software

AD

Alistair D.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

An well structured time saver that helps run projects efficiently.

I loved the clarity of thinking that Freedcamp offers through its very clean interface. Compared to a support system I was previously using Freedcamp is a breath of fresh air and I could not imagine running projects without it now. I would also add that the entry level version is totally free and comes with Unlimited Projects, Tasks, Storage, and Users.

Pros

Freedcamp provides a very scalable solution for anyone that needs to increase their productivity through improved project management. Initially I used Freedcamp for one client and one detailed project. Then it grew to one client with multiple in-depth projects, then it grew to multiple clients with multiple projects. The way Freedcamp is designed it handled this growth easily, and as an end user the process was very straight forward and instinctive without the need to refer to any documentation at all.

Cons

Advanced use of Freedcamp would involve the use of widgets which are mostly available to power users. I found widget implementation to be a little confusing at first and perhaps the least developed aspect of Freedcamp. This may be down to my lack of experience in this area and I perhaps need to checkout the knowledgebase articles in this area.

JR

Jamie R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

If you want a project management software that works for you...

One unexpected benefit of Freedcamp is the improvement to the staff’s morale when I don’t have to do nearly as much micro-managing and instead they can see in writing exactly what is expected, the due date, communicate progress, etc. without a manager constantly asking. It also makes editing or correcting errors or mistakes more like collaboration than like corrections.

Pros

Freedcamp is so incredibly intuitive and user friendly, not to mention, each time I have ever had a hiccup or a desired result from the software that I couldn’t achieve on my own, I just emailed support and they were able to customize from the back end to make it do anything I needed. I can’t say enough about the amount of time this tool saves me as chief of operations and I can’t imagine doing my job without it.

Cons

The only feature I feel could be improved significantly is the “email in” feature. It’s quite cumbersome the first time you email into a project and if you are like me, you have so many projects going at one time that it is not convenient to have to log in, go to the project, select email in, copy the address and then alter it depending on if it’s a file, discussion, etc.

CC

Chris C.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Could not operate without this piece of software (now)

As I mentioned earlier I could not operate my business with confidence without Freedcamp. It has become a integral part of my system and processes and I would recommend people give it a go. You will just have to familiarize yourself with the way it operates and once you have mastered that, the world is your oyster!

Pros

I purchased Freedcamp for the primary purpose of task management with my team. As the manager (and owner) of my business I recognise how critical systems are to be able to deliver consistent, quality results to clients. This is where Freedcamp shines. It helps me to stay on top of the recurring tasks that would normally be a manual process. Now I have one central location where I can take a birdseye view of all the tasks within my business and the easy to chat options within the Freedcamp platform facilitates team communication (much easier than having to go in and out of different pieces of software). I most definitely could not operate without Freedcamp in my day to day.

Cons

Getting everything started was a bit of a challenge in the beginning. I didn't find the options as intuitive as I would have liked. For example, creating a repeating task that occurred every week was not as easy as I have found in other software. This prompted me to reach out to support to discover the solution. To Freedcamp's credit support was quick and helpful and once I understood how to create a repeating task - my utilization of the software grew. The views in the dashboard can be a bit overwhelming at times - however this is customizable to your likes and dislikes.

TW

Tracey W.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

A fantastic product for freelancers -- the software equivalent of a virtual assistant

For a free product that I deployed with a minimal learning curve, I am blown away by the number of features offered, and the flexibility that lets me match the software to my business needs.

Pros

As a freelance editor, it's up to me to manage all aspects of my business for numerous clients. It is essential that I set deadlines and track my time per task in an orderly and centralized manner so nothing slips through the cracks. Freedcamp gives me these capabilities and more, plus peace of mind.

Cons

As a one-person business, I don't use all the bells and whistles. But the features I do deploy are user-friendly. The cons are few for me. The only quibble that might be worth mentioning relates to the time tracking feature. I can sort the time records that I create in many ways (e.g., status, alphabetical, amount of time). I like to sort by the date of the time record. But what I'd really love to do—and can't—is have a second-level sort feature so that, within a given date, I can sort the record alphabetically. It's a tiny quibble that I hesitate even to mention here.

Tv

Tommie v.

Food Production, 1,001-5,000 employees

unmissable tool in the chain.

Pros

For me the setup and getting used to it was a matter of seconds. I use other company supported systems that hold loads of info and are not easy accessible. with freedcamp I have a very clear view on the selected portion I want to manage. using it for yrs and keeps doing the job.

Cons

Allthough my experience is very good, I don't get that many colleages liking this software. the learning curve seems to be to high and usage of the tool usually drops dead in a few weeks, despite my effort of promoting and supporting it. for small project teams that only last a few weeks I don't even bring it up anymore.. although that would be the perfect situation to deply freedcamp.

ŁŚ

Łukasz Ś.

Architecture & Planning, self-employed

Easy to use and straight to the point

I've been using freedcamp for over 3 years and set up home and my small business projects. Even inviting my parents was very easy and they didn't have problems using the software. The interface is very clear and intuitive - you get exactly the results you expect. The calendar view is very useful to see upcoming tasks at a glance. Also most of the interface is quite compact - no unneeded spaces allows to show more taks on the screen (save for mentioned "Add Task" field) Overall I'm very satisfied with the software. It has everything I need without overwhelming me with unwanted features.

Pros

- clear layout, - ease of assigning dates, teammembers and priorities to taks, - helpful reminders - mobile app - layered task help to organize the project - intuitive to set up and use.

Cons

- no second sorting parameter (sort by X then by Y). Unhiding completed tasks can lead to unsorted mess of a list. - sorting by progress only sorts first task list in the project, the others don't sort. - every task list features a large bar below to enter new taks. This takes to much screen real estate and prolongs the view of the project.

John L.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 501-1,000 employees

A great balance of complexity and features but a bit of a learning curve

Complex academic research projects with collaboration among Canadian and Tanzanian teams.

Pros

Web-based so easy to add on team members regardless of their hardware and experience. Flexible; can assign tasks, dates, priorities, people and can create several levels of sub-tasks. I like the integration with Dropbox so that files are easily available to all partners and access does not depend on Freedcamp itself. If I ever decide to stop using Freedcamp, I won't have valuable files locked into Freedcamp that I'll have to download before quiting. The support is superb; emails are answered quickly, often within hours and questions answered accurately and concisely without the usual boilerplate text verbiage that many software companies (esp. the big ones) like to indulge in. Switching between the list and Kanban views is very nice.

Cons

With complex projects, the webpages can begin to be very cluttered. As well, the default for finished tasks in to us a strike-out font as opposed to hiding or archiving them so one may see a page where the majority of text is struck out. reporting is rudimentary, basically a summary of tasks and a time period with little customization possible. I would like, for example, to be able to generate a report by individual team member of all of their assigned tasks and deadlines.

UG

Uriah G.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

I use this application to monitor my task and complete timesheets. Very useful. Very efficient.

This software saves me time when doing my monthly timesheets and reports. It has helped me to better organize my work life, and my home life. I am looking forward to seeing this as a phone app, so that I can have access to it quickly, and on the go. Thank you to the freedcamp team.

Pros

Each project can be divided into task groups, which allows for a better separation of goals. The tool is probably designed for groups and teams to work together. But I am still in the midst of encouraging my team to use it officially. Currently, the Tasks page works well for self management. I am able to write as many notes as I like, set due dates which will show red when I am approaching the deadline....

Cons

I like the time tracker. But I feel it could be better organized. It would be useful to store a collection of time records in an archived folder somewhere. I use the time records to keep track of my time each month, in order to bill my client. But after the bill is sent out, I no longer need to see the previous months records. However I would like to access them quickly without playing with the current...

Hi Uriah, Thank you for a great review! Later this year you will see more new cool things related to Time/Tasks/Invoices - set estimate hours on a task - track time on Tasks - tasks will be exposed to Time app - time will be tracked for each manual entry or each timer run separately so we can tell how many exactly hours/min you spent this week or this month - Invoices app will allow to bill...

Renewables & Environment, 51-200 employees

The Right Balance Between Performance & Investment

I've been using lots of Project Management and Team Collaboration Apps such as Trello, Slack, Asana, Bitrix24 and more. But when I started to use Freedcamp about a year ago, I learn that this app manages to provide the sweet balance between my learning curve in using the app effectively to go up and running, and all the necessary functionalities without putting my self too much in configuring all...

Pros

This app manage to provide the sweet balance between my learning curve in using the app effectively until go up and running, and all the necessary functionalities, without putting my self too much in configuring all the features with it's bells and whistles. The support alone is a solid and consistent 5 star performance, very prompt and spot-on showing a high level customer and solution oriented team. Roadmap and development are heading towards my business needs which means this app is definitely a good long term investment for my team since Freedcamp has been around for quite some time now.

Cons

The on-boarding is good but the learning curve a little bit steep the first time I test it. But recently they improved the UI and it surely enhances other users in my team to have much better UX, and support is always within reach anyway.

BH

Bill H.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Freedcamp Keeps Me Organized and Helps Me Get Everything Done

Designing and Developing websites involves hundreds of tasks that must be completed for every site. The ability to create templates for this really cuts down on my workload. Clients are sometimes resistant to using it because they're not familiar with it but it's so much better than email chains.

Pros

The ability to create templates for repetitive tasks like developing and launching websites and marketing campaigns. Being able to let clients follow progress and provide feedback while also leaving some discussions and procedures behind the scenes. Being billed based on participation so I don't have to go in and shut clients and contractors accounts on and off is a huge time saver.

Cons

I think the image/file uploading feature could be improved. It isn't organized well and will often name a pasted image the same name as a previously uploaded image. We'd like to be able to easily include video in the process. It's possible now but a dedicated training area would be nice.

Comacell B.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Our Go-To Product Management Site

Overall I love freedcamp, I've been using this software for two years now and it continues to upgrade the things I always have small issues with so I'm hoping to see them tune up the major flaws. I would suggest this to any group or team needing a software to effectively communicate and delegate work.

Pros

Freedcamp is my favorite collaboration service for multiple users which has helped me organize and collaborate effectively via the cloud. Freedcamp is my ideal software for staying in control of projects, resources, budget, and time. My favorite feature is getting notifications in real-time of updates, questions and or comments.

Cons

My least favorite thing about freedcamp is using the software via the app. I don't like the fact that I can't save images that are loaded up by collaborators or myself. The functions of the app aren't half as good as using the website.

Hi Comacell, Thank you for a review. Regarding mobile apps - we just released a new version of our Android app https://blog.freedcamp.com/2018/10/25/freedcamp-android-invitation-install-test/ which has a ful support for attachments. For you iOS users - a new version is ready but since it a brand new application we keep it in beta to be released in December. You can send me a list of your iOS users and will add them to beta so they can also work with attachments - https://blog.freedcamp.com/2018/10/25/freedcamp-ios-invitation-install-test/ Regards, Igor

MB

Mark B.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Excellent project management features and customer support.

Pros

Freedcamp is simply a pleasure to use, bringing projects to life. Projects can be managed in one place, without having to jump between multiple disconnected programs. From Todo/Task lists, Milestones, Time Tracking, Invoicing, the ability to Invite other users into a project and so much more. It's constantly evolving too, with features regularly being added and updated. Customer support is super responsive, which is a standout feature in its own right.

Cons

It's difficult to find a negative to be honest but I guess it would be that that it's updated quite regularly (via regular scheduled slots), which creates an access issue for me personally sometimes. The developers do choose quiet times to do this however since I'm in the UK (and they aren't), due to the time difference I often find myself unable to use it on a Saturday morning whilst updates are being pushed. The slight inconvenience is still a small price to pay for what has become one of my favourite programs.

Sv

Shawn v.

Utilities, 51-200 employees

Daily Project Management

Pros

The visual kanban organization of "tasks" as well as the cloud base access drew me in to using this software. I use this to manage customer queries for engineering requests under a single "project". I create ~250 new requests each year while continuing to close/service ~ 90 old requests that require revisions. Freedcamp allows me to add notes internal to each task as well as externally add visual subtasks for immediate daily status updates of the active engineering request tasks. The task kanbans get moved between three existing columns: NoProgress, InProgress and Completed for immediate status feedback.

Cons

My use case has been adapted to the software organization limits to limit the data input overhead of assigning each engineering request as a "task" to each engineer to work on. The software is better organized to handle long term "projects" than my numerous engineering tasks. However, I have made it work within Freedcamp but I realize that my use case is not the typical project management scenario.

MW

Martha W.

Design, 1-10 employees

The best free to use project management software!

It's been great. I haven't had any problems and the information they give you on their website is true. It is 100% free.

Pros

Freedcamp is, to put it simply, AWESOME. I've tried so many project management software and freedcamp is by far my favorite. It is free, easy to use, intuitive for my clients, and full of so many great features! These features include task lists, the ability to assign tasks to clients, due dates, item priority levels, reminders for upcoming deadlines, communication with clients, file management, & so much more. I have more than 40 projects on the free version and it has made my jobs go so much more smoothly. My clients are happy and so am I! The paid options are also great if you need a more robust project management software.

Cons

The one feature I would love to have is the ability to create a project that has all the items I use for every client and duplicate that project for each new client. Right now I have to set up a new project each time. I believe this may be a feature of the paid version that I have not tested out yet!

Hi Martha, Thank you for a review! You can copy tasks and tasks lists from one project to another on all paid plans You can copy projects on the Business plan https://freedcamp.com/Freedcamp_LxR/Freedcamp_Devel_yOf/wiki/wiki_public/view/Ogaab You can import template tasks from XLS on all plans - https://freedcamp.com/Freedcamp_LxR/Freedcamp_Devel_yOf/wiki/wiki_public/view/zxbab

Ernesto Enrique F.

Human Resources, 11-50 employees

Very good task manager for entrepreneurs

In general it is the best application to handle tasks, work teams and projects if you are an entrepreneur. I stopped using it because I needed some features like custom statuses and custom labels. Unfortunately they added them when I had already moved to another application

Pros

I used this software for more than 4 years and was in love since its first use. If you are looking for a simple task manager to keep track of all your pending tasks, Freedcamp is undoubtedly your best option. You can manage your tasks by lists and projects, have as many projects as you want, even in its free version, manage users at your whim, filters, export tasks or entire projects. Freedcamp has instant synchronization with Google Calendar and now they added the integration feature with Zapier or you can develop your own API connection.

Cons

Something I do not like is the invoice manager, missing features that do have others, there is no continuity in the user interface, some features were added over time and look different and finally the mobile application, it still needs a lot of work.