Namely Logo

Suggested alternatives

bamboohr
rippling
dayforce-hcm

Namely is the perfect solution for a small business like ours. It has saved me so much time compared to the previous solution we used for HR and payroll.
Friendly support staff, easy to get set-up, many self-service tools and customizations and always improving. I am very happy with Namely.
You can never get an support, answers, or solutions to urgent issues such as Namely back end payroll system errors. Errors that cost the company thousand of dollars.
I dislike that I keep having problems in logging into it.
I just think their customer service format changes frequently and it is confusing sometimes to keep up with their preferred communication etiquette.

Josh P.

CPO

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees

Namely Review: Namely, Mediocre and Dated

Transcript

Josh P.: Hi, I'm Josh. I'm the CPO for an electrical wire harness manufacturer. I give Namely a two out...

Thank you for your honest feedback. Namely is always striving to invest in our product and our people to ensure positive experiences for our customers. Our product and services team is constantly innovating; we welcome you to review the latest at Namely.com, as well as bringing to market more competitively priced solutions. Again we appreciate your transparent feedback and if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us at 1-888-757-4804.

DZ

David Z.

Software Engineer

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Very good software, should add a little more functionality in future releases

Transcript

David Z.: My name's David. I am a software engineer in the audio visual industry, and I would give Namely...

Santiago C.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

As an HRIS Namely is as good as it gets. Works out of the box but it does adapt to your workflows

Pros

As an HRIS Namely is as good as it gets. After using many other platforms in the past, I can say that Namely provides an easy to use platform that works out of the box but offers a great deal of customization to fit your workflows. They are constantly releasing new features and improvements that are visible and useful with a support staff that is always ready to help. Having HRIS, Payroll and Benefits in one place and dedicated client rep and dedicated benefits rep is definetely hard to beat.

Cons

Integration between payroll and HRIS is a work in progress that still needs work. I am confident they will continue to improve it moving forward.

YR

Yvonne R.

Industrial Automation, 11-50 employees

HR and payroll 'amped up'

Great team, good support. Really have enjoyed and benefited from the Broker Team at Namely.

Pros

I think the ease of use for all users was a main factor. Keeps the team engaged, connected and really enjoy the ability to manage PTO all in one spot.

Cons

Think sometimes there are a couple of suggestions by a minority that get a lot of attention and maybe it isn't something that needed to get focused on right away or maybe more discussion so the functionality works better for all.

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our platform helps keep your employees engaged and connected. We work very hard to assess, prioritize, and action on all suggestions that we receive. Please continue to give product feedback to your dedicated Namely Pod and know that we take it very seriously!

Internet, 201-500 employees

Avoid at all costs

Terrible - service reps do not know the system, standard payroll practice, let alone any questions. Service tickets get lost, takes months for resolution of more complex tasks and extreme micromanagement

Pros

It's pretty. There is really no other pro.

Cons

HRIS: No proper Leave tracking for maternity/paternity, jury duty, bereavement leave ETC There's no way to see a PTO accrual history Employees are not alerted when their address format is invalid Only one set of holidays - UK sees all US Holidays When reporting structure changes you have to make MANUAL changes in Namely Payroll IN ADDITION to doing a mass upload in the HRIS Doesn't auto track history...

TR

Tess R.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

CircleCI<>Namely

Our experience with Namely has definitely been tumultuous. We had a very rocky start and it continued to be rocky as the turnover rate was extremely high on their CS team. We had about 6 CSMs within one year. Constant issues with the platform and no resolution in sight. Things are better now and Namely seems to be making great strides towards progress, but still has work to do.

Pros

-one source of truth for all employee information - easy to track/request time off -resources tab is helpful for new hires -place to store private employee data -very customizable

Cons

-SO many issues in the beginning(especially with workflows and onboarding templates) (ex. when you submit a salary change workflow you have to do two separate workflows for base salary and commission, even though the commission piece is added into the workflow). -can't easily hide legal name from other employees view -tasks tab is pretty much no use to us. When you assign a task to someone there is no way to set reminders or alert you if you have a task overdue. Also, no notification or red flag that says you have incomplete tasks on the homepage.

AS

Allison S.

Highly Recommend

Pros

Namely is easy to use. I highly recommend using all options for a true integrated experience - HRIS, Payroll, Benefits & Time. It has definitely enabled our small People Ops team be able to support our company's rapid growth. It has a great user interface for our employees. Namely is constantly adding new features and improvements, which shows me they are constantly looking to adapt their product to the needs of their customers.

Cons

Namely is very much "self-service", which can be great if you have the answers and the knowledge. However, there are some drawbacks with payroll, which can often provide tax & regulatory challenges. Getting a hold of the right person when we have detailed payroll questions, can sometimes be difficult.

CU

Cristin U.

Military, 11-50 employees

Namely Review

Amazing. Timely. Professional. Helpful. Friendly.

Pros

HRIS system is easy to manage and understand. Our employees like the feed. Love the customer service - they are super helpful and friendly. Love eSig.

Cons

I don't like Namely Time. I wish it was more straightforward to use. I also wish that Namely had a background check integration providers. I wish there was a built in ATS system.

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer support team helps give you confidence when using Namely. As for your pain points, we will be be sure to relay them to our Product team.

Leon C.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Easy and sustainable.

Namely is simple and easy to use, it requires a few improvements that seem to be coming soon. It still has some glitches that need an urgent fix, but with the few conversations I've had with the Customer Support team, I can tell that Namely will greatly improve in future versions.

Pros

It is a straightforward and easy to use software, the user interface is the simplest one in the market of HR Management tools. It is a good example of the Integration between Payroll and HR Systems, and might be useful in the Linkbuilding bussiness with a few enhancements and addons. The Customer Service is great and the people involved are very kind and competent.

Cons

The customization of the processes is not easy to implement, and tends to be tiresome, and in many cases it slows down the navigation. It is currently lacking a proper auto-sync feature. It does not have the E-signature feature for current employees. The performance management module has a complicated nature. There could be a better integration between the HR and the Payroll modules. As I explained in the Pros, it is easy to use but it could be highly improved in terms of pragmatic functionalities over the user friendly interface.

Trinity M.

Excellent Solution for SMBs and Scaling Companies

The best parts about using Namely is their excellent support+success team and the constant growth that they are experiencing which results in frequent updates that make my job easier. Having a fully integrated solution has saved me an abundance of time. The ease of integration with the HRIS tool is great for scaling companies that use a variety of products to function but want one-source-of-truth. Reporting capabilities in both HRIS and Payroll are detailed and have gained the stamp of approval from Finance and HR.

Pros

-Excellent customer support. -One stop solution for HRIS, Payroll, and Benefits. -Very customizable for different use cases. -Constant and reliable product updates and roadmap.

Cons

-Document storage is not robust -While the tool is very customizable, it is a slight learning curve to master the smaller details.

Micquella A.

51-200 employees

Namely brings together HRIS, payroll, and benefits into a pleasantly designed, easy to use package!

Pros

I love that benefit elections are synced to payroll. Before Namely, this was a huge manual effort to maintain and audit. Namely is engaging and simple for employees to use - I get frequent positive feedback on that, across our staff demographics. People also really like the activity feed to give appreciative shout-outs to coworkers. As an admin, Namely's flexible permissions are a huge plus - this is something I've missed with other cloud software my company uses.

Cons

The Time Off functionality is a bit simplistic. I'd also like to see more configurable, custom notifications.

Jack M.

Great system

It's a great place for everyone in the organization to be linked together. Aside from just the HR side, you get updates on birthdays, anniversaries, can give people shoutouts, etc. which is really cool.

Pros

We moved from ADP to Namely and it is a much more engaging HRIS system and allows you to be linked to members of the organization. Payroll isn't fun as it is, but Namely allows it to be :)

Cons

The timecard option. It's pretty tedious to put in your for each day. As well, if you do overtime it becomes even more difficult. A process that takes 5-10 minutes, I feel like could easily be simplified into 1 minute.

JR

Joseph R.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Namely is a great option for a mid sized company

Pros

The software flows very well and links everything so it's easy to onboard and offboard employees. The profiles store employee data efficiently and the reporting and analytics is very useful.

Cons

There are many inconsistencies or illogical set ups that make the software wonky at times. For example, titles are considered an "object" rather than text. So you have to add every title manually in the backend. THEN, only on the onboarding form can you search titles. Everywhere else you must search the alphabetized list manually for your title. This is just a minor inconvenience. A more major one...

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our platform has simplified your onboarding and offboarding processes. As for your pain point about salaries, we apologize for your negative experience. Fixing that process is currently on our product roadmap and we look forward to making your experience as seamless as possible.

AC

Austin C.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Good Product and Company with Direction

Namely has saved us time in a lot of areas once we really learned how to use the system. We have been very impressed with Namely's interest in responding to client needs and I've not ever worked with a company such as theirs with a roadmap that is truly responsive to clients. One area they can continue to improve upon is in customer service--I find myself needing to follow up on service requests often. That said, I know it is something that they are working on improving. Overall good experience with Namely.

Pros

Namely's onboarding function has been a huge time saver for our company. We have a lot of documentation that employees must sign and review before starting and it makes it easy for them to find it all in one place. Performance reviews are also a breeze with Namely. Lastly, we have found a lot of benefit in the all-in-one nature of Namely for ourselves and our employees.

Cons

The integration between HRIS, Payroll, Benefits, and Time can certainly continue to be improved. Additionally, our company manages multiple EINs and so we would like to see Namely continue to improve functionality for this.

CM

Caryn M.

Sports, 51-200 employees

Review of Namely for time management, easily accessible benefits information and other perks

Namely has been transformational for our business, improving efficiency and allowing employees and managers to focus more on the core work of the organization without being bogged down by time-consuming HR tasks. The ability to track leave, benefits and paystubs all in one software keeps us accountable and avoids lots of paperwork!

Pros

Before my company started using Namely, we were submitting our time-off requests on paper and routing through multiple mailboxes for approvals. We did not have a reliable and convenient system for managing our leave accrual or communicating with busy managers about PTO requests. Now, all of that information is at our fingertips, approvals are a breeze, and it's easier for managers to keep track of all of their direct reports' schedules. Namely also allows us to view our pay stubs and benefits information at any time, and complete our annual open enrollment, all within the software. I would highly recommend the service to any organization looking to improve its efficiency for HR processes.

Cons

At our company, employees accrue comp time for working weekend events throughout the year. Namely does not allow us to enter that comp time in a formal system that is tracked electronically. Instead, we keep track of it on our own, and when we enter PTO requests as "comp time for XYZ event", it is on the honor system. Not a huge complaint, but would be nice if we could track that piece of our PTO the same way we can vacation time, sick time, etc.

CN

Christine N.

Publishing, 201-500 employees

Namely - Great for HR, Payroll, and Employees

We signed up for Namely in the Fall of 2014. We started with the HRIS and benefits for just flex spending. Being in HR, it was wonderful to be able to customize Namely's platform to include the data that we wanted to track and provide. For employees, it was a game changer because they now had access to information they had never had before (such as a clear salary and bonus history). In January...

Pros

I love how customizable Namely is.

Cons

They haven't rolled it out yet but, I'm excited to be able to report on any and every field in Namely in one report and I'm hopeful that we'll be able to do document signing for current employees one day.

MH

Mim H.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Great system to bridge the gap between HR needs and employees

Depending on what you need to use it for, the system is great and simple for employees to use. It could definitely use some work in the PTO request department, but other than that, it's a solid system!

Pros

Namely is easy to use with a pretty intuitive interface, which makes accessing tools and information quick and simple. We utilize this system mainly for our payroll info, performance reviews and general employee information across the company.

Cons

We were hoping to move all facets of our previous system over to Namely, which included requesting time off, but we were unable to due to a lot of basic features were missing in the Namely system. For instance, when requesting time off in Namely, we were only able to submit a certain number of hours off vs setting a specific start and end time to our requested time off. Another issue was the integration Namely has with Google calendars and successfully adding requested time off to our calendars.

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you enjoy using our platform. As for your pain points about PTO tracking and an integration with Google calendars, we will be sure to relay them to our Product team.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Good product for growing company

Pros

The social feature on the home page was great. I loved how our team was able to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries when they logged on.

Cons

When I used it Namely was new to the industry and had some growing pains they went through. Re-orgs and misses on design layout. Was still happy to use it on a daily basis though!

TP

Tilly P.

Music, 201-500 employees

I Recommend Namely

I really enjoyed the platform, my overall experience was a positive 10/10!

Pros

Namely is easy to navigate, can easily be accessed anywhere, and in my experience, has a small amount of website issues. It's a hub you utilize daily when employed with a company, and a platform you can still access after you've switched jobs. It was very helpful when filing 2022 taxes even though my new company doesn't utilize Namely.

Cons

The only feature I remember having issues with was not being able to go back and edit PTO time after the scheduled PTO time period had passed. For example, if i had requested 8 hours of PTO but only took 6, I was unable to edit the next day. My manager would have to completely delete the request, and i'd have to create a new one.

CC

Colleen C.

Apparel & Fashion, 51-200 employees

Namely makes it easy for our people to do the right things and smile about it

We found Namely after scouring the market for a solution that was simple, connected, available 24/7, and offered one attractive place for us to do People work the way we want to do it. We found Namely and have been pleasantly surprised at every stage. First, we added the HR solution. We jumped at the chance to try the Onboarding and eSignature features. We have just decided to implement Payroll and...

Pros

One stop solution. Web-based. Simple and clean design.

Cons

Wish we had a little more control over naming some of the tabs and folders.

SM

Shane M.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Namely: The light weight Champion in a heavy weight market

From the beginning, Namely has been fast, easy, yet very powerful. This platform looks and feels like social media sites, but in the background (or under the hood) is very powerful technology that allows both employers and employees simplify their work life. For the employer there are very powerful reporting and communication tools. The benefit management, on boarding, and performance reviews are a...

Pros

I love all the integration between their HR and Payroll platforms. Namely is truly a one stop shop when it comes to an all around HR/Payroll platform.

Cons

It's hard to say anything negative about the platform. It was up and running and ready to go from the start. The customer service has been excellent. There have been mostly positive experiences so far.

LG

Lynn G.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Good product, horrendous implementation

Pros

*Great way to integrate an HRIS system and payroll on one platform. *Simple and easy interface for users. Very similar to Facebook in design and functionality. *Lots of great workflows to utilize to eliminate pen and paper documents. *Namely did fully refund us our money after our implementation was handled very poorly.

Cons

Phew, my boss and I had problems with our Namely implementation from the beginning. It seems that the company was undergoing a lot of turnover and restructuring during our implementation, and we felt it. There would be weeks when we would hear no communication from our lead implementation specialist. My boss thought he had quit or had been let go and had to write a strongly worded email before we...

LD

Lisa D.

Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees

Great for small companies

Overall, I like Namely. It makes processes easier and their customer service is fantastic.

Pros

The ease of use is what I love most about Namely. For the most part, it is very intuitive and user friendly. Being user friendly makes it easy for me as the admin but more importantly it makes it easy for my employees to navigate.

Cons

There is still a lot of room to grow. There are a several functions that I was used to on other (larger name brand) software that Namely doesn't have yet. A major one for me was not having pass enrollment. But they have since updated that and now offer a passive enrollment, which is a relief! I know they are working on a load of new functions and I look forward to seeing what they are.

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and look forward to continue enhancing our platform and your overall client experience.

CW

Caleb W.

An HRIS that Everyone likes to Use

Overall, it's a great HRIS, and a great company. Namely is constantly updating the system and releasing new features. The support team is top notch and is always happy to help in anyway they can. Namely may be missing some features or some may need to be updated, but the interfaces and the support plus the fact that they are dedicated to releasing features that are requested really make it a top HRIS system.

Pros

Easy to use for Employees, Managers, and Admins. The interfaces are elegant, clean, and very intuitive. The ability to automate tasks or delegate tasks that used to be a burden has freed up time for Managers and HR admins. Having everything all in one creates an easy experience for our employees. The ability to use the Open API allowed us to automate our employee data flow out to different parts of the company and keep our systems all in sync.

Cons

Missing some features you might get from an older HRIS, Payroll, or Benefit system. While the time feature allows a lot of customization, it can be burdensome to use and navigate.

TS

Trish S.

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

Reviewing Namely for HRIS, benefits admin & payroll processing

We love Namely for our HR, benefit and payroll administration. And our employees enjoy the social feed area as well. The site is flexible, easy to use and we get wonderful support from our Namely team!

Pros

I mostly love being able to have HR, benefits and payroll information all in one spot! Of course Namely is not the only program which can handle these processes, but I do find Namely very flexible and capable of handling all our needs.

Cons

We may be unique, but we do value anonymity in our review process. I do wish the review program settings could be set at the company level so that all managers could initiate the process in the same manner. without my needing to ensure it is handled in the same way each time. I've communicated our need and I'm sure Namely is assessing to see if this is something other companies could use as well.

Tiffany B.

Internet, 51-200 employees

Solid HRIS for small companies

In addition to the software, we use their brokerage and LOVE Namely Benefits. They've made the transition so much easier and are basically an extension of my one-person HR team.

Pros

Clean, easy-to-use interface. Payroll is easy and efficient. The set-up is easy for employees to use - I've never been asked where things are or for a password reset since starting with Namely. ;) Customizable. Continuously improving and working to support their clients (i.e., they actually listen to feedback!)

Cons

Re-hires are a little wonky. Reporting meets my needs, but similar to other features, Namely isn't as comprehensive as some of the old-time HRIS systems (like ADP). But there's so many benefits/pros, it's easy to overlook any challenges.

AQ

Amanda Q.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Great product with variable implementation and customer support

I work for a nonprofit organization with more than 60 employees in over 20 states (we're a remote workforce), and we began using Namely after leaving a different software in the summer of 2016. I struggled to decide between a three and four-star review. For now, I'm going with a three, but I reserve the right to revise upward or downward in future weeks and months. Our sales and introductory phase...

Pros

Customizable; modern; streamlined

Cons

Ad hoc (sometimes it feels like new features or functionality is tacked on); inconsistent (sometimes, the product doesn't work as described)