Squarespace Logo

Squarespace

A website makes it real.

Squarespace Reviews

4.6

2.9K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.37/10

Reviews by rating

The overall use of this product is amazing, very easy to use and my clients love it. The love the fact that they can do edits themselves.
It's good for what it is, which is a basic website maker that has the ability to make very function, nice looking pages.
Love that Squarespace introduced me to web design due to its ease of use. Templates are as great as Wix and both are really great competitors to one another.
The options are limited. Editing pages can be difficult because everything needs to be dragged and dropped into place, but most of the time all of the other blocks will shift during editing.
One of my colleagues who is taking over for me, really disliked how the Squarespace template prevented any changes. He contacted Squarespace and with their assistance was able to break the template.

2,919 reviews

NE

Nathaniel E.

Director

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Squarespace User Review

Transcript

Nathaniel E: Hi, my name is Nathaniel. I work in the non-profit sector, and I would give Squarespace...

MA

Maia A.

CEO

Photography, 1-10 employees

The best for aesthetics & functionality

Transcript

Maia A.: Hi, my name is Maia. I'm CEO in a video and 360 photography. And I give Squarespace a four out...

Meghan H.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

The Best Website Builder for Simple Sites

I genuinely love this tool for creating websites. It is easy to use, cost efficient, and turns out a great end product. I have used it to make websites for photographers, restaurants, and sales businesses alike. It is so versatile and every site visitor thinks it's professionally done.

Pros

This software is easy to use, intuitive, and when you can't figure something out Support is right there for you. They have tons of how to videos and instructions that make everything pretty easy to figure out.

Cons

I dislike the spacer feature - it gets pretty annoying to use those instead of being able to snap an object to a grid and align that way. It works much like Microsoft Word in the sense that if you try to resize or adjust something, sometimes everything on the page moves.

Ali B.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

We exclusively build on Squarespace

We build exclusively on Squarespace. Our clients LOVE how easy it is to learn to make quick updates themselves like text or swapping out photos.Not only is our team able to easily use the product, but our clients, too!

Pros

Squarespace has powerful integrations that support the product/site. The update to Fluid engine has made design more effective. We also started using Acuity Scheduling -- game changer for complex scheduling!

Cons

Every now and again there are a few features that require custom code.. otherwise, Squarespace is easy-to-use and a lot of flexibility without needing to know any code at all.

st

sicilia t.

Environmental Services, 51-200 employees

Overall, an easy-to-use software for building websites

Pros

Squarespace makes building web pages achievable, even with no prior experience. It's a great basic website maker for small to medium businesses, portfolios, blogs, etc. The template options are aesthetic and well-made.

Cons

Some customization options are limited and editing can be clunky. Overall, this is still and excellent choice for website building.

Andrea C.

Design, self-employed

SquareSpace is a let-down. It's hard to use and is missing basic features. The marketing fooled me!

Overall, I hated using SquareSpace and I was so disappointed because I switched away from WordPress + Divi to give SquareSpace a whirl based on SquareSpace's amazing marketing. What a let down. I will never use SquareSpace again. My client wanted both of his sites designed in SquareSpace because he was also duped by the ads. I made one site and it took forever because I was constantly googling how...

Pros

SquareSpace has beautiful templates. They are truly gorgeous. SquareSpace also has an easy-to-use sidebar of options that puts everything that you can do on the left side. The interface is as clean as the templates. Hosting of your site is done through Squarespace. That's it when it comes to pros. There are a ton of Cons to using SquareSpace.

Cons

As a WordPress user (who has also designed with Wix), SquareSpace falls short almost everywhere. You can't import your brand font—essential. You have to use code or a back-door solution with AdobeFonts. If you want 5 items in a row, no can do. You get 4 or 6. You can't drag the amount of padding around items and sections. You must use spacer blocks (time consuming and such a bad way to do things)....

CP

Christi P.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Easy to use website building and maintenance

Pros

Website build is easy, and support is provided through video training and accessible chat.

Cons

Needs better photo compression tools available.

Mark C.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Great Website Host For Organizations

Pros

It is easy to build and edit a website on Squarespace. The bio sites are great too!

Cons

For me it wasn't difficult to figure out the tools to design the web page. However, if someone was attempting to do it with less computer skill, it might seem daunting.

VT

Viswa Teja K.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

The new age learning revolution

Overall squarespace is a extraordinary website to learn new things and develop a new hobby.

Pros

The most liked aspect about squarespace is the amount of content. You can watch as many videos as you wish and the content never ends and the videos are quite engaging. The content is precise and self explanatory.

Cons

The least i would like is to decide what to watch. The content organization should be improved.

GN

Gabriel N.

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Convenient to use high grade design

Pros

Convenient to use high grade design. Very accessible and clean presentation.

Cons

Somewhat awkward to use in certain places, but that's a minor quibble.

BS

Beatrice S.

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Extremely userfriendly, many integrations and analytics

Pros

The amount of data you can receive through the analytics and usability!

Cons

Almost feels too easy sometimes, maybe less sophisticated.

KO

KRYSTIAN O.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Easy Design

Pros

how easy is now to design your own website!

Cons

not that many templates to choose from, could be a little more.

Jane R.

Publishing, 1-10 employees

Great design, great features, great support

I was first introduced to Squarespace when I hired someone to design the website for my business, and he showed me how to make changes myself. From there I started to play with it and ended up creating simple websites for several clients, many of whom were then able to take over their own upkeep and maintenance. And in the three years I've been working with Squarespace sites, the features and support have only improved. I also love that they're very attuned to what's trending in graphic design, so their templates never look dated.

Pros

The aesthetic. Squarespace's design templates are fresh, current, and appealing to begin with, which provides a lot of options for customization.

Cons

It's not the most intuitive interface ever, but that said, they provide outstanding how-to articles and videos and infinitely patient customer support, so it's not hard to figure out how to do what you want to do, even if you have no coding experience.

KB

Kim B.

Writing and Editing, 1-10 employees

Top quality website and easy to create!

So far all my experiences are incredible! They get back to me right away whenever I have a question or issue. Fast to resolve.

Pros

Top quality website! Very easy to create a professional looking website all by myself. The templates are wonderful and suitable for all different types of programs. Absolutely love it!

Cons

The monthly subscription program is pricey but a less expensive option then what I've used before.

BC

Bridget C.

Construction, 1-10 employees

You get what you pay for

After trying multiple free website building options, I finally relented and tried out the demo version on Squarespace to see what the learning curve would be like, and if it would be worthwhile ot go the paid route for a website. The answer was a resounding yes, and I've subsequently built 3 more sites with them since our first one. I tell every new business owner starting out, check out squarespace, save yourself the headace of the free platforms that limit creativity, and watch your business grow by the day.

Pros

Ease of use Easing learning curve layout options customizations options sleek templates quick onboarding

Cons

Towards the beginning of my experience with Squarespace, I needed some customer sesrvice and the process to find where I could go for help was not easy. This was back in 2017 however, so I'm not sure if that process has improved since then (I'd like to think so!)

MN

Mark N.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Allowing my nonprofit's website to stay adaptive and relevant amidst an ever-changing web.

Squarespace won me over after years of thinking I could do a better job "designing it" on my own with free templates for WordPress. Time and time again I would spend days or weeks on the site, be happy with it, and then months later it would all be out of date, look old, and not function in the ways that information transfer had shifted by internet users. I decided that a professional, clean and easy to use Squarespace site, with robust back-end capabilities is what I needed, and I have not been disappointed.

Pros

Squarespace really has their act together in offering a clean, easy to use , beautiful web building platform. I run a media and video production nonprofit, and the needs and functionality of my site have evolved almost yearly since 2013. The way that people engage with content on the internet is always changing, and I got caught up in the flow of trying to always evolve the website to keep up. I used...

Cons

I wish there were maybe 15-20 more templates, and that a few of them were specifically meant for video galleries, as that is what my organization focuses on in our storytelling, videos. I would love a template tailor made for aggregating videos. For now I can use a photo gallery or blog and adapt it, which works fine, but my wish list would be a video focused and designed template.

SO

Stephen O.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Value and Simplicity, Meet Beauty!

I have now built over 10 full websites using Squarespace and each one continues to grow my knowledge and stretch my ability. As I aforementioned, you don’t need to be a pro, but if you are, designing an incredible, impactful and don’t miss this, mobile friendly website is simple and easy.

Pros

The best thing about Squarespace is the ability to create gorgeous websites with little to zero experience. You don’t need to be an HTML wizard, but if you happen to be, you can still take full advantage of everything Squarespace has to offer.

Cons

Honestly, it’s hard to say one. For the mid level prosumer, I haven’t found a single better option.

Jeremy D.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Easy to Use But Often Limited

I had to launch a website—with scheduling and services—in a day, and Squarespace did not disappoint. I was able to do this quickly and easily, with little reference to the user guide. When it came time to launch my own site, I carefully researched and compared Squarespace to other all-in-one solutions, and it came out on top. Most other solutions required more work to build, and it was easy to "break"...

Pros

The best thing about Squarespace is that you can launch a simple website in a few hours; grab a template, tweak to taste, and go. The competitors still tend to need direct coding to make them look good, but not with Squarespace. The templates are tasteful and generally easy to edit, plus there is a rich backend with tons of analytical tools and e-commerce features for when you're ready to sell. The website editor is truly WYSIWG (What You See Is What You Get) and adding sections is as easy as a click.

Cons

Squarespace's templates look nice, but there are surprisingly few of them. I've built several sites with Squarespace, but I always grab the same podcasting template because everything else it way too specific: restaurant! Vlogger! Fashion! But precious little for general-purpose sites, with a minuscule selection for a company that's been at this for over 10 years. The WYSIWG editor can be extremely annoying as well, constantly digging into to floating menus just to make simple edits, and it's unclear where things reside sometimes. It's hard to escape the feeling that there has to be a better way. But it is still easy to use.

RM

Rashi M.

Broadcast Media, 1-10 employees

Squarespace: elegant and user-friendly website builder:

Overall, Squarespace is a great option for anyone looking to create a professional-looking website without any coding experience. The elegant design and user-friendly interface make it easy to create a visually appealing website, and the comprehensive features make it suitable for a wide range of needs. While the higher price point may be a drawback for some users, the excellent customer support and comprehensive features may make it worth the investment for many.

Pros

Elegant design: Squarespace offers a wide range of beautifully designed templates that make it easy to create a visually appealing website.User-friendly interface: Squarespace has a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy for users to navigate and make changes to their website.Excellent customer support: Squarespace offers excellent customer support through email, chat, and phone, making it easy for users to get help when they need it.

Cons

Higher price point: Squarespace is more expensive than some other website builders, which may not be feasible for all users but since we work with different e-commerce company they don't mind with what they pay.

DT

Darren T.

Broadcast Media, 1-10 employees

For simple website design and amangement look no further.

I think squarespace is great. For a non technical user what this provides me with is a very simple and quick way of developing and managing an attractive website with all the functionality needed.

Pros

Squarespace makes designing and managing your website simple. Making edits, implementing redesigns are quick and easy to complete. This was the main reason we switched as we wanted anybody to be able to manage the website with no need for technical web skills.

Cons

Sometimes the way things work are not intuitive, they remain easy, but initially the way to achieve something is not always obvious. Additionally Squarespace in my opinion is not designed for high end, high functionality websites so for some the service may be limited.

JA

Jenna A M.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Squarespace is great for small businesses

My overall experience with Squarespace is that it has allowed me to increase my profits, I've had a better time at events when people want to make purchases, and in general it is a well run software, so I really appreciate it. It is very accessible, it has made me look more professional, and it rarely has any bugs. Good job !

Pros

I have been using Squarespace for a few years as a working artist with a small business. There are a lot of events that happen for crafts and painting, and no one has cash, and I certainly don't have change to give them. When I got onto squarespace a few years ago I was amazed that they sent me a free sliding card chip reader, how easy it was to sign up, and I was a bit upset with myself that I hadn't...

Cons

I think that I am always worried about losing the swiper. If there was a way where squarespace could get rid of that all together and yet allow a one go swipe I would be really grateful for that. The only other issues I have had is sometimes the software has frozen while I am in the middle of a transaction and that has made things a bit difficult for me in the moment, however, this is common for a lot of apps that have high usage, so I am not super upset about it. I think that in the moment you can hope that things will be perfect but they can't always be. Overall though I think the software has better positives than negatives. I think that it is very good software.

LP

Laura P.

Photography, self-employed

Great website usage, and overall easeability for someone who doesn't know how to code

Overall, I will be a lifetime user of Squarespace. It has catapulted my wedding photography business into the next level, allowed me to optimize my site with unique keywords and SEO search terms that put it at the top of the Google search for wedding photographers in my area, and the analytics section of the site is really helpful to see where my traffic is coming from on my site and how I can drive more traffic to my site. Again, as someone who knows hardly anything about SEO, it has made me an SEO wizard and has revolutionized my wedding photography business!

Pros

I love the fact that there are so many templates that you can choose from to make your website exactly the way that you want it to. I also love the fact that the templates are so easy to use, especially for someone like me who doesn't like or really know how to code!

Cons

What I dislike is that there are certain templates that do not allow you to customize as easily, or at all, as some of the other templates. I found that I have to really search how to change things within each template and then decide from there if it is a template that I want to use. It was trial and error to discover that not all templates have fully customizable features and I wish that they all were fully customizable to make it even easier to use.

KO

Kyla O.

Apparel & Fashion, self-employed

Easily Create an Ever-Beautiful Website

I have been using Squarespace for my e-commerce business for a few years now and love it! Squarespace sites are easy to create and update, while always remaining beautiful. I have used other drag-and-drop website building software in the past and even though the layouts looked right when I was editing, once I viewed them live and on different devices, there were always problems. With Squarespace's...

Pros

Ease of use Beautiful designs Great customer service Affordable useful integrations (PayPal, MailChimp, etc) built-in SEO constantly updating and adding more features

Cons

e-commerce platform has minimal features No customer service phone support Some features are only available on a limited number of templates

Internet, 11-50 employees

When minimalism was a luxury

I trully believe SS is being hold hostage by its once glorious minimalist phyloshophy and streamlined way of doing things. Their templates all look the same now.

Pros

Squarespace helped us develop good looking and fuctional website in no time, with outstanding streamlined interface and ease of use with minimalism in mind. + Premium fonts.

Cons

In my personal opinion, I think SS is lost with its minimalist phyloshopy and streamlined way of doing things. It was good a couple of years back when it was the only kid in town but websites have developed so much that the need for robust features and fuctionality is more a necessity than a commodity now. They just released their extension feature but it consist of no more than a few addons.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Nice software, but fragile and randomly freezes or glitches

Overall it’s a pretty good experience. Although there are glitches and times when it simply freezes for no apparent reason . This can be infuriating, especially after writing a lot of content, and it will not save or update the text (we pay for the gigablast fastest business internet our ISP sells). Sometimes it will save an old draft, not the current one, this makes me want to scream. Sometimes it will delete things I don’t want it to accidentally I’m not sure what the problem is, there needs to be a general undo button. Something that can protect you if the website is glitching or acting nuts..

Pros

The stylish look of the fonts and web design. The styles look professional enough, the competitors looked too childlike or complicated to setup. I also like that you can do most of the editing from the app, not just the laptop.

Cons

What concerns me about this software, is the lack of ownership over all the work put into the website. Software companies these days are becoming political and illogical at times. Although my team and company doesn’t deal with anything political like that, it’s in the back of our mind’s that eventually we will need to break off from Squarespace because they have too much power over our website and...

MT

Margot T.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

Perfect for Creative Professionals, Limiting for E-Commerce

Squarespace has allowed me to build an online space where I can sell my artwork and share creative projects. As my product line grows I will need to move the shop aspect to an alternative like Shopify. However, I will remain using Squarespace as the main website for my business and services.

Pros

Squarespace is my favorite website builder for small businesses and creative professionals. I love that it is so easy to set up and customize to fit my branding and voice. Squarespace makes it easy for one person to create their own portfolio or website to promote their work or house their services.

Cons

While Squarespace has been my favorite website host as a creative professional, it is lacking in e-commerce tools and support. Simple things like having a filtering system for a shop page require additional plug-ins, or coming up with DIY solutions (that will ultimately require more work long term). Squarespace's commerce functions may be appropriate for a shop with one or very few product categories. However, as the product line expands and falls under different categories, it becomes much harder for the user to sort through products and locate what they need.

Cody M.

Publishing, 1-10 employees

Delivers Quality and Most of the Functions You'll Ever Need

Squarespace works great for me, and the clients I've built sites for on it. It does everything that I have needed it to, and have been able to implement HTML/CSS elements when I absolutely needed to (pretty much on a novice when it comes to code). Whenever I show someone a site I've built, they are usually impressed, even though I'm mostly building on top of the work by the template designers.

Pros

Squarespace has great templates and an easy to use, drag and drop builder. You don't need any technical or true design skills to create a solid website. The high quality templates, with predetermined styling, ensure that even a simple website looks clean and elegant. It's also easy to implement your SEO titles and tags, connect email marketing services, add Google Adsense and other plugins. The price seems pretty good for all that, though maybe slightly more expensive than other CMS options.

Cons

The main drawback I've had is that Squarespace isn't as customizable as other CMS options, like Wix or Weebly. Sometimes I just want to move a simple element over slightly, yet this often isn't possible within the block format used by Squarespace. The flip side is that Squarespace has few if any bugs, while Wix and Weebly can get strange errors in my experience.