Dell Boomi Reviews

4.43/5 (260 reviews)

Scholl Guin

Boomi - achieve peace-of-mind

Reviewed 2016-12-06

We've used Dell Boomi to support Re-pricing and Order management integration over the past several years. Our processes submit approx. 1-2 million API calls a day to our ERP and marketplace channel management platforms. The most important thing I can say about Boomi is the peace of mind it brings...Once you get a process built and tested...it's just works! I worry about all of our other platforms going down or cringe when new updates are released. I've never had that worry with Boomi. They perform monthly releases, and I've never had a release break one of our processes. Given the range of tools available to construct integration processes, there is almost always a way to accomplish a process. Typically the challenge becomes picking the best way to solve the problem with the various options available. One thing that has drastically improved over the past year or two is the information/knowledge base and participation of the Boomi user community. Several years ago if you had questions on how to do something, it would take a while to figure things out. The new Community platform is thriving with lots of very useful information to help beginners get started building processes. The only negative I've ever had and continue to have is cost. Depending on the number of connections (distinct endpoints) you require for your integration needs, things can get expensive quickly. This is one area in which I wish Boomi would get creative. Even if you are using basic local DISK connections or simple HTTP endpoint connections (as opposed to branded connectors such as SF.com, or Netsuite), every endpoint will cost you an additional $300/month. Some pricing-flexibility on bundling certain types of connectors would be a great improvement. For this reason I deducted some stars in the "Value For Money" rating. However, I'll end by re-iterating my opening comments. That cost delivers a huge benefit...Boomi is a robust, stable platform, and you will achieve piece of mind for your integrations that run within it.

Pros
Development environment.

Cons
Cost

Robert Husted

A Better Way to Work

Reviewed 2016-12-06

Boomi is a point-and-click tool that has many features across a broad functional spectrum (e.g. Enterprise Service Bus, Web Service Gateway, Managed File Transfer, Messaging). You use a drag-and-drop interface to create processes, with no coding required (though you CAN use Groovy or JavaScript when needed). What can you do with it? You can: create and consume web services; perform database CRUD operations; get/send files over FTP/SFTP; read/write JMS queues; read/write to file systems (Linux, Windows, Mainframe, etc.); send/get email; read/parse/create EDI; etc. Nearly everything you do in an IT shop to integrate systems and applications you can do via Boomi. Boomi isn't ideal for everything. E.g. complicated ETL, voluminous file transfers, complicated processing, etc. But for the everyday IT tasks, Boomi is the perfect middleware tool. Simple tasks can be done in minutes with Boomi: read from a database to create a report and email it; call web services; web-service enable an existing process; create an enterprise web service that orchestrates a process; poll directories looking for files; poll JMS queues looking for messages; copy data between two applications; convert data from one format to another; in short - anything involving integrations between systems or applications can be done in Boomi. At my company we're starting to use Boomi for all middleware activities - it's fast and easy to create processes that perform a variety of tasks. Boomi does the heavy lifting, we just configure shapes, connect them together in a process flow, and then push it to production. Sometimes we have to use code (Groovy or JavaScript) to do complicated things that the tool doesn't natively do (e.g. date manipulation/calculation, call out to a Java Library to create a Java Web Token), but otherwise it seems to do everything we want to do. Nearly anything you can do in Java, .NET, python, perl, etc. you can do in Boomi with little or no coding. Boilerplate development (like creating data services, extracting data to files, running scheduled tasks, etc.) can all be done in minutes or hours in Boomi rather than days or weeks in traditional programming languages. Boomi doesn't replace all of your tools - but it replaces 80% of what you do with those tools and it takes 20% of the time to do it. I'm convinced that it's the future of traditional IS development.

Pros
Ease of use, simplicity of the programming paradigm, and the vast capabilities of the product.

Cons
It doesn't implement everything in a given spec (e.g. I can't access the full request/response for a web service call; I can't use all features of standard functionality like SMB; etc.) The tool needs to mature a bit more so that it can be leveraged more in a variety of enterprises.

Vivek Verma

My Dell Boomi View

Reviewed 2016-12-06

Overall experience is good but I still see a lots of improvement points for the development environment. Also memory and multi threading options appears a bit tricky with Dell Boomi. Checkpointing of the processing would add lots of value to the product in terms of recovering the the half way processed transactions.

Pros
Common development environment along with version control and revision history. Development environment on cloud can enable a developer to become productive from day one. Single place deployment and complete code life cycle management. Common Dashboard to monitor the integer landscape components. Automated housekeeping of logs and temporary files.

Cons
Memory management is a bit tricky, no option to allocate memory to specific integration processes. Multi threading not very efficient and controllable. Configuration Parameter management through process extentions is a bit complex and confusing. Dependency on internet for development activity. In case of any network issue developer cannot continue with the development.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

David Byrd

Boomi is fantastic

Reviewed 2016-12-14

We have been using Boomi and doing great. I like the way we can break down data into small units of work. It simplifies how to handle multi-conditional pathing and the unit of work level. Currently, I am working at SFCG, using various tools to build integrations into Oracle CX products. When we started kicking the tires on Boomi and in the training and development since that time, I've tried a series of processes out that have given me trouble in other tools. Below is a brief recap of my experience and growing admiration for the way in which this tool has made my job easier. My first goal with using Boomi was to connect to an instance of CRM On-Demand (a task that can on other platforms be a time-consuming endeavor). What I found was a useful wizard, pictured below, with a series of pop-up steps to follow. In other tools, I have spent more time in trying to define the schemas, than actually completing the maps that use them. Boomi reduced that time from my process. This is one small example of many demonstrating how my teammates and I feel as if we were working in black and white and are now working in color with Boomi AtomSphere. Tasks I've taken for granted are complex, time-consuming and meticulous are simplified, streamlined and transformed with powerful features like Boomi Suggest - a handy feature that leverages the collective intelligence of the Boomi community to suggest which fields should be mapped in a Data Map. You don't need to take my word for it, another member of our team, Li Mo started building out an integration to Oracle Sales Cloud, using the SOAP API Connector. He was able to do a complete integration to insert a record into the Account entity, and it took about an hour and a half. Note: it had been about 1 month since we both actually took the training courses. I believe we choose an additional tool that plays to the inner strengths of working in the cloud, and I can not wait until I start full blown to continue development on new integration projects using Dell Boomi AtomSphere.

Pros

Cons
Not sure

Cristian Bodnarasec

Dell Boomi for your systems integration needs

Reviewed 2019-06-05

We have complex requirements to integrate with a various cloud and on premise applications, related to the semiconductor manufacturing business of our company. Also, b2b integration with 30+ suppliers is needed. Though I was skeptical initially that Boomi can cover our needs, after joining their first Boomi World in 2017 and talking to Boomi specialists and with their customers, I was convinced we are on the right track. Now, few years later I can say Boomi was a good choice.

Pros
By definition, Boomi is built for systems integration. What this means is that you get a long list of out of the box integration connectors (90+). We have used Boomi to seamlessly integrate our NetSuite ERP with: - cloud applications: Namely, OpenAIR, Box - on premise applications: Secure FTP, custom API for Oracle Agile PLM and custom apps It has covered most of our integration needs with a relatively small to medium effort.

Cons
Also by definition, Boomi is built with the idea that not only technical people can do these integrations. This is one reason that higher management of a company can be "pursued" to purchase it. However, in reality non-technical people can only achieve very simple integrations with the drag&drop features of the platform. More technical knowledge is needed because most of the times the requirements are more complex and require custom scripting/mapping between data formats.

Richard Brown

Integration tool with GUI interface is OK for Salesforce-to-SQL integration

Reviewed 2016-12-07

We are using Boomi in an on-premise installation to integrate other software. It is adequate. The drag-and-drop interface web-based interface is easy-to-learn and generally responsive. Monitoring and scheduling are fine, though error-reporting is via system-generated emails that must be reviewed manually or via email rules (you need to buy an additional "Connector" from Boomi to send your own emails). Dedication to the GUI interface limits flexibility -- code and SQL statements can be so powerful, but you cannot get to them. There is "Groovy", a Java-like scripting language, but figuring out how and where to call it is difficult -- the in-process and "document" touch points are not intuitive and are not well-documented. Customer support is generally responsive but not always helpful. Their first question is "send me the URL of your cloud interfacing definition", and when we explain that we are on-premise (required for database security) then answers become tough to get and more vague. We get TIMEOUT errors when moving tens-of-thousands of records from Salesforce to SQL. Boomi's response is that the error is from Salesforce so it is Salesforce's problem. However, we did not get these errors from our previous integration tool from Bluewolf. Unfortunately, Bluewolf does not integrate with OpenAir, so we had to change tools. We work around the TIMEOUT by changing schedules and changing the interface approach to moving fewer records. Overall Boomi does the job and we have made it work -- I have no delusion that there is a great tool available for this difficult job of cross-system integration. My interpretation is that Boomi is focused on web service integrations with small message sizes, and the on-premise solution is an afterthought.

Pros
Ease of use; web access

Cons
Slow with large numbers of records to transfer; little access to underlying Salesforce SOQL and SQL

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Eric Luehmann

NetSuite to Salesforce Integration

Reviewed 2019-10-03

Pros
the ability to fully customize the ETL process between our core business Systems

Cons
The system is very well put together, but it is still a little heavy to use without the proper technical background

Jacob Pierce

Boomi is great for simple integrations, would like to see better organization/reporting

Reviewed 2019-10-01

We have successfully tied together several financial platforms with Boomi as well as leveraged it for our master data management of customers. It has shown great promise in early applications and sparked ideas for many more integrations.

Pros
Boomi makes basic integrations extremely simple, non-technical staff are able to view and understand the integrations. There is a lot of power in the platform for complex integrations with the ability to expand using java. Ability to submit test cases is great and lowers the QA load for monthly releases.

Cons
Process reporting has a lot of information but it isnt always easy to view. When managing errors on a mobile device we must request the desktop version to even view the error specifics. Reporting on overall usage of the platform can be a challenge currently, technology is a data driven world and I would like to have more robust reporting to view runs/errors/platform stats/ and deployed processes all in one place.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Boomi Product Review

Reviewed 2019-10-03

I would say it has been overall very positive. When I have a problem I know I can reach SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN and he gets back to me so quickly and resolves problems quickly as well. Resolutions are always solid recommendations, never a hack or a let me figure it out scenario.

Pros
Ease of use and company's commitment to the platform and its customers. Monthly updates fix and address problems we are facing and it feels really good to see all the successful customers at BOomi world.

Cons
Flow is my primary con, only because we knew the Flow to Boomi Integrate Integration would be necessary but it seems like it may be difficult tech for the citizen Integrators.

Chris hunTer

Boomi as our IPAAS

Reviewed 2019-10-02

Pros
can build integrations with no code at all. We were able to setup and deploy an integration from Salesforce to Netsuite in a week. The platform ease of use makes it easier to train new employees on the platform

Cons
Don't have any cons with boomi, the community is great and support is helpful

Martijn Keizer

Steep learning curve, great community and amazing performance

Reviewed 2016-12-06

Having experience with different integration platforms got me up and running in Boomi relatively quickly. However, due to the differences, the learning curve was rather steep still. There are a number of non-intuitive features, that require advanced knowledge of the platform to get right. Fortunately, there is a very active and very knowledgeable community of other Boomi users, always willing to help out those new to the platform. Whenever there are problems with functionality, the community is the go-to place to get it resolved. The disconnect between the designer platform and the execution engine is a key feature in the astonishing performance of the processes. As far as process performance goes, Dell Boomi is the best experience that I've had. Both when it comes to processing large amounts of data in a small process, as when it comes to processing incidental data in large complicated processes, Dell Boomi never fails to amaze me.

Pros
Performance; the community; the smooth, all features included development platform.

Cons
A number of features take quite a lot of time to develop in the platform. The lack of XPath search and map functionality is tough to handle. Web service integrations (the core business of my company) feel rough and rudimentary, a lot of work still needs to be done on this field

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Forget about code

Reviewed 2019-09-05

If you lack of developers, is a good choice. You can train someone in no time so is able to create process for the company. For too complex process, it can be a challenge maintaining them. Is expensive...a lot, just recommended for big companies.

Pros
There is no need of an advance developer to make simple but long process. Connect to different APIs protocols like HTTP, Odata, SFapi, etc. Connect to smtp or sftp/ftp servers and other external services. You can connect to almost anything and just moving the mouse.

Cons
You cannot code, and sometimes that is bad... if you have performance issues you don't have to many options. You don't have code to refactor. The version control it's far from git or similar. I't very expensive, if you have developers, an app that make all that is way more cheaper that maintain a Boomi atom. It's very annoying not having a way to audit the connections, sometime the connectors fail and you don't have a good log to see what happen.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Sujit Nayak

Very Good integration tool but need some improvements on specific area

Reviewed 2016-09-28

I have very good experience of this tool on Application and Data Integration side. I love the way Boomi release and roll out the connectors and patch versions in all environments. However, I see some improvement needed on Application integration side related to Atom Queuing full compliant with JMS spec 2.0 version and also, some improvement needed on the Administration side for example there is no start/stop functionality on deployed process. Monitoring and management of Boomi process like if source or target system is down then automatically stop the bommi process and start it up automatically when target systems comes online.

Pros
Easy to Use In built Connectors

Cons
1) Date Function support is limited. 2) Lacks Dynamic process generation support - cannot read a database, obtain a result and then launch 1-N processes based on the results on a query. This forces us to fallback to DB Stored procedures for dynamic processing. 3) No field-level encryption option. 4) Improve dynamic handling of values on processes (e.g. Retry configuration) and Connection (e.g Timeout) 5) Have capability to integrate with Source Code Management tool 6) Ability to run a process with "Listener" starter in Test Mode 7) Email Alert generate if the deployed service or Listner is down. 8) JMS Message Selector usage in Atom Queue. 9) Ability to receive email alert by process

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Srinivas Chandrakanth Vangari

#1 Leader in iPaas Integration

Reviewed 2016-12-06

I have used Dell BOOMI in various enterprise level integration over the cloud. Across the different technologies that are available, this is the best one which was proved. I worked in providing solutions to different to different clients and clients are very much happy with the continuous integration. Support was all time helpful and one must not forget community as well. I'm sure that BOOMI will rule the cloud space in the coming years as well reason being the security aspects are handled perfectly. This was the only reason that firms look for their data. B2B integration is made easy and can be done without any difficulty. Help documentation was awesome and it was illustrated in a lucid way. There are live examples to get started as well. Finally, it's worth your money for seamless integration.

Pros
Seamless Integration, Support, Help Documentation, Community, Robust Runtime, Flexible orchestration style of development.

Cons
Minor bugs are taken care in each and every month release maintenance.

Yechiel Kaplan

ETL Made Easy

Reviewed 2016-12-16

I started working in Boomi with no prior IT experience. I walked into an already complex business model and some pretty complicated processes. I was able to quickly catch on and make myself an important piece to the 'Integration' team. My company has premier support and this team was very helpful at times when trying to build something difficult. Even as someone who is not familiar with coding (javascript/groovy) the ready-made components make it easy to use. Although sometimes, you will need to use scripting and there's no getting around it. But all that is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. The ability to extend processes to different environments is also great, allowing you to test a process in multiple worlds. There are lots of 'out of the box' connectors that make the transition a breeze. Lately, Boomi has been really picking up the slack on their releases. They rolled out a new community and Ideas page. The reference page has been given a facelift as well. If only they made certification cheaper, I would think of getting one.

Pros
Drag and drop canvas, easy to use.

Cons
Flexibility

Lawrence Jackson

Integrating System and Data to Help Save Wetlands

Reviewed 2018-11-06

Overall I would say that my experience with Dell Boomi has been very positive. The sales and support team have always been prompt and friendly without the pressure. We're currently in transition from a monolithic on premise custom build system to a more off the shelf and distributed architecture and Boomi has been essential to this process from day one. In the near future I believe we will be added Master Data Hub and API Managment services to our account and will be interested in getting a better understanding of Flow.

Pros
The recent change that I like the best is the redesign of the Groovy/Javascript IDE shapes. Prior to the redesign the old text box was a major pain point, but the redesign removed that altogether.

Cons
Sometimes having to set authentication/directory information in a properties shape prior to the non-starting connector shape can be obtuse and with simpler integrations can add unneeded complexity. Perhaps if there was a way of setting the properties in the the connector shape, but allow them to be overridden by a properties shape earlier in the process.

Cesar Contreras

The best & the bad

Reviewed 2016-12-14

The Best: 1.- Easy of use, make my developing job easy, focus on the need of my client. 2.- GUI comfortable, better month by month with the updates. 3.- Lots of connectors, lots of icon options to solve the need. The bad: 1.- Tracking log of process execution of many days before (10 days) is impossible. 2.- Debugging is a pain, cause does not have functionality about the debugging groovy. Thanks to all the team!!!!! César.

Pros
1.- Easy of use, make my developing job easy, focus on the need of my client. 2.- GUI confortable, better month by month with the udates. 3.- Lots of connectors, lots of icon options to solve the need.

Cons
1.- Traking log of process execution of many days before (10 dyas) is imposible. 2.- Debuggin is a pain, cause does not have functionality about the debuging groovy.

Christiaan van Walree

Easy and reliable tool for all your integration needs

Reviewed 2017-09-21

The software enabled me to create many integrations in just a few weeks instead of months. You don't have to write any code which speeds up the developing, testing and deploying of your integrations.

Pros
Dell Boomi provides many features to support integration development. It's easy to transfer data from one system to another with the use of default connectors and simple mappings. Boomi also provides your with the tools for more complex integrations. For example you can use business rules and decision shapes to validate your data and transfer it to different endpoints. Error handling and monitoring is also really thought trough.

Cons
The performance on the Boomi Cloud is not optimal. However, you can active an Atom Worker by contacting your Boomi rep to speed things up a bit. I only heard about this after a while and I wonder why the performance is not enabled by default.

Trey Yeager

Go to Boomi if you want to innovate

Reviewed 2019-10-02

Overall our experience with Boomi has been great. Integrations that have previously taken months to build, test and implement can now be done in weeks. Not only that but Boomi makes it easy to build modular integrations, so if one piece no longer works for you it can be easily replaced.

Pros
Boomi is a tool that can be picked up easily by just about anyone and allows for very quick development. Boomi makes prototyping integrations incredibly easy and quick and moving those solutions to production takes a few clicks.

Cons
As with most graphical programming languages there are limitations as to what the tool can do, and while there may be workarounds that can be done in the system sometimes those carry performance implications.

George Chai

Easy to use product for fast development

Reviewed 2016-12-06

Boomi is a fantastic tool to use for integration between systems. Reusable components speeds up development and implementation, changes are easy to propagate through all relevant processes and the UI is very intuitive and easy to learn. Features are limited by willingness to upgrade the account but a lot can still be accomplished with just the standard set of features available. A great adaptable platform that can handle all sorts of mess with an active community forum that provides support and help as much as possible and regular updates with features suggested by the community itself is leading this product to even better times ahead.

Pros
Easy to use, intuitive. Simple to set up schedules, deployments, tests. Changes are easy to make, test and rollback. Copying map functions that were recently added!

Cons
Limitations imposed by account features and cloud atom. Search can be slow, drop-down loading can also be slow for document properties for example. Adding identifier instance also collapses entire json tree which takes many clicks to reopen. Logs aren't the greatest, not always as detailed as it could be and are temporary.

Velmurugan Kanagasabai

Dell Boomi is Awesome

Reviewed 2016-12-06

This is my first middle ware. I am enjoying the work i do now than ever. Boomi simplified the number of lines of codes that we write to integrate/automate any process. I started learning this on my own, i never though it would be that easy to learn, of course by referring the documents that has been provided. During the certification course as well, i find it easy to complete. However, for me, the certification course is not worth for the money that I pay, Mainly because of the content. The expectation was it will cover all the components available with Dell Boomi but it is not. Over all, i am enjoying the integrations that i am configuring with Dell Boomi. The recent updates in community as well as Boomi platform is really good.

Pros
Easy to learn Easy to configure local atoms easy to make any changes Amazingly quick support team Knowledge stored community

Cons
Content and the cost of certifications.

Rajeev Vaishya

Boomi Product Review

Reviewed 2019-10-01

Great

Pros
Ease of use and easy to develop and manage

Cons
Atom Queue is not a good enterprise Queue solution

Very Useful

Reviewed 2018-11-06

I started my career with Boomi technology and I am very glad to be apart of this wonderful technology so far. I love to part of Boomi ever.

Pros
I love Boomi's Gentle learning curve;their most user friendly UI;most interactive community;very useful user guide and process library and LMS. I like the new features and functionalities they incorporate in every releases. Boomi is the best Integration and Cloud tool I have ever used.

Cons
Some things which needs their improvement like providing flexibility in running the same execution simultaneously with multiple extension values etc. But Very few cons. Their API Management should be improved.

Kamlesh Kushwaha

Dell Boomi is Tool which make your Organisation Integration Easy and Cool

Reviewed 2016-12-15

I am amazed with this integration tool it is very easy and flexible tool. Too many people believe that only technical guys can learn this kind of integration tool but trust me, I am a MBA guy who does not have any technical skill but I learned this very effective and right now I am handling too many projects.

Pros
Integration that u can rely upon. Quick to get a simple integration going. Some of our integrations took just a few hours to build. Transformation of profile format with ease. Flexible tool and access anywhere in the world. To have fewer departments and more profits in less time then u can go for Dell Boomi.

Cons
Not easy to troubleshoot failures. Unable to easily access payloads and components. Dev mode is painful with a limit of 10 records. Running processes even on dev mode takes a long time. Takes at least 20 seconds before starting to process.

Britto Parthalomew

Boomi - walks the talk with clouds!

Reviewed 2018-11-06

I have been working on Dell Boomi last 3 years and I fell in love with it. And the Boomi community is being knowledge repository ensuring you get all your solutions needs. I have also been one Boomi champions for helping may developers to excel in their design and development.

Pros
I have worked on many integration tools in my IT careers but the most interesting and fun to design is Boomi. It's ease of use is tremendous and any developer would love it. And who ever has basic knowledge of Integration can learn quickly.

Cons
Some features are missing like audit logs use of ease and extensible properties change needs to be locked why making changes after deployment.