Deputy Logo

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.81/10

Reviews by rating

It's a really complete solution that handles all the requirements for a bussiness like us, the schedulling is very complete and the control fo the employee's timesheets is awesome.
Customer support was amazing through the whole process. I find they tried their best to keep in touch EVERY week to see how we were doing with the app and what we needed help learning.
Many glitches when it comes to connecting with RUN or scheduling, but the biggest problem is the inefficiency of the sales team whether the chat or phone. They are simply HORRIBLE.
As a team, we find ourselves frustrated with Deputy on the daily.
The product messed up or payroll month after month.

Kevin B.

The team at QB Gelato is very pleased with Deputy. It is easy to use and the team members love it!

Pros

As QB Gelato continues to grow we are finding the tools within Deputy to be extremely valuable. For example, we have set up our 'Opening, Closing & Daily Checklists' in Deputy under tasks which allows us to run our business as paperless as possible. In addition, it gives Management the ability to check-in and see if tasks are being completed when not at the shop. Being able to communicate updates to...

Cons

At the present time there is nothing we dislike about Deputy. The support team is always there to guide you through issues.

KH

Kristin H.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Agritainment / Seasonal Use

Pros

Ease of communication with employees, flexibility of the program, schedule execution and viewing, timeclock ease of use.

Cons

Some limitations of features. We like the employee review at the end of each day, but you cannot view or sort who left the review, so there is some value lacking there. We also are lacking an HR management option with our program.

Natalie O.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

No bad until you try to leave

I have rarely ever left a negative review in my life but after my recent experience I feel it's almost a responsibility. I closed my business in July. Not having a need for timekeeping I cancelled an account. I deleted all staff and shifts and unsubscribed from this service. I did so before the close of the billing cycle. Since this is a payment in advance service I should have been left with nothing...

Pros

It's cheap. It's not an expensive service but the old adage you get what you pay for applies here.

Cons

Customer service is deplorable. I've never in my lifetime of dealing with various services, apps, etc ever dealt with a customer service rep as badly trained and as unprofessional as I have seen at Deputy.

Hi Natalie. We really value your feedback and will share this information with our team. Thank you for your honesty and we look forward to working with you in the future to improve your Deputy experience!

NS

Nathalie S.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Deputy - The Best Online Clock-in System!

I loved using Deputy every day. What's not to love? Everything is laid out for you in a very simple, yet pleasing design. You can clearly see your schedule and any upcoming time off. Clocking in and out is super simple as well. I loved using Deputy at every company which was smart enough to implement it!

Pros

I love the easy-to-use layout. It's super user-friendly making it truly a no-brainer to navigate and use daily.

Cons

Honestly, I loved Deputy and had no issues with it. My complaint is that my company stopped using Deputy and switched to an inferior time-keeping system. Deputy was much better.

JR

Jillian R.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Pleasantly Surprised

Overall, I love the platform and their app. Way better than most I have tried.

Pros

The ease of use for both myself and my staff.

Cons

Sometimes hard to figure out different pay areas. No way to track staff during on-call situations, so we had to figure out a work around

WI

Wolf I.

Security and Investigations, 51-200 employees

Deputy Limitations on amount of location being used. Not exporting payroll timesheet to ADP for 2 y

Could be better

Pros

Keep track of time of employees, build schedule.

Cons

Help is not providing answers on problems like it was 2 years ago. Live chat is gone or specialist are not helping in all subjects

DO

Davide O.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Great product!

Pros

I liked I could easily personalise the calendar and let it appear as I wanted and I could easily edit it by my phone

Cons

That it doesn't remember employee's hours, so we always need to correct the hours from the ones we have registered

CH

Cesia H.

Online Media, 1-10 employees

Review for Deputy, by Plei

its being great, 10/10

Pros

I like that its easy to understand, its better than other tracking sites

Cons

theres 1 thing i can do on my phone but i can't do on my pc, that is selecting the specific days and times i want to copy for the following week

rachael c.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1,001-5,000 employees

Outstanding Customer Support

Since implementing deputy towards the end of 2015 in our business, I have worked closely with Jake and Joseph on making the system work with ease and ensure we are using the system to its potential. Our business has a high turnover of transient employees who work varied hours and days of work which makes it hard for our managers to roster efficiently. The team at Deputy have worked with us to add...

Pros

Worked closely with our team to add additional features required Fast response time Realistic time-frames Great problem solving skills, and solutions Helps with rostering efficiently, Forecast of costs, Ensures Compliance Reporting functions Payroll inputting has reduced from 1.5 days to 1Hrs due to new seamless payroll integration New upgrade of system is more user friendly and responsive

Cons

More updates on system features/upgrades to come More training for Support staff on system set up Doesn't do 'Modern award' interpretation. Although we have now got the system to interpret the Award this was a lot of custom features we worked with the Development team on.

TC

Thomas C.

Utilities, 11-50 employees

Great Product

Pros

Easy to use and mobile friendly, great application for scheduling

Cons

Missing a help feature that is easy to navigate

GK

Grace K.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Exactly what I was looking for

Probably one of the best scheduling/staffing apps out there organizing my company's staffing, scheduling and payroll.

Pros

The scheduling features, clocking in and out (especially with location services), communication with team capabilities, and overall polished interface are so well thought out and done. I researched several different software and apps, but this one really checked a lot of boxes for our small business. We have a core staff and many seasonal staff, so having a versatile staffing and scheduling app was very important. I love that I can copy weekly schedules, easily change staffing whenever I need to, communicate with the team about changes right through the app, and write notes about each shift with additional information. When it's time for payroll, the approval and tallying of hours is so quick and easy.

Cons

So far it is an indispensable part of my business. I (and my staff) absolutely love it. The only issue I still have with the app is its inability to have several different pay rates for each person. Our company offers several different "jobs" that people can claim, but each job has its specific pay rate. When it comes to payroll, it would be nice to be able to select which payrate that employee is being paid for each shift/or position. Once this is in place, then I will be able to benefit from the budget and exporting features of the app. Right now, I cannot, but I understand this may be a special set-up.

MA

Michael A.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Great product I highly recommend

Pros

I have been using Deputy for about a year and half and it has made scheduling for my team so much easier! I used to have a huge issue with team members clocking in too early but I was able to use a feature that won't allow anyone to clock in more than 5 minutes before the start of their shift. I also love that it sync's with our payroll processing company.

Cons

The one feature that I wish could be added is that we have weeklong summer sessions where people are able to pick up the shifts of their choosing. I always have to remind my team that they need to pick up all 5 days of the shifts. I wish I was able to somehow link the shifts together and they only had to pick up the grouped shift as opposed to 5 individual shifts. But that's probably a feature that's specific to our company and I don't really see a lot of other companies needing a feature like that. Other than that, I really do love using Deputy.

SM

Stacy M.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Fantastic!

This software has helped our company specifically with the scheduling aspect of our business. It saves the company scheduler time, helps us keep the time off requests and scheduling organized, and has made it much easier to communicate the work schedule to our employees. After trying the free trial, we knew it was the right software for us.

Pros

We went from using spreadsheets and a calendar planner to using Deputy. When we were comparing scheduling programs, Deputy really grabbed our attention because of its look, ease of use, and price. We have been using it solely now for almost 2 months and it has proven to be a dependable, trustworthy service. We no longer need the planner to keep track of time-off requests. Now they go right into...

Cons

I've sat here for a long time trying to come up with a complaint about the software. At this time, I have no complaints about the product but will report back if something comes up the longer we use it.

Trent O.

Security and Investigations, 11-50 employees

Deceptive conduct

Support team use email only. Most support issues are flicked back to the help videos and everything else you are told "we'll request this feature be added". It never is

Pros

Unless you own an iOS device, do not purchase this software. there is half functionality, and the support may aswell be non-existent, but deputy is more than happy to charge full price for half available software.

MD

Mindy D.

Deputy is fairly easy to use and has been a great help in setting up a new payroll system.

Pros

It connects to all our offices and is easily adjustable. Signing in and out is very simple for everyone and it's nice to have an all in one scheduling, asking for time off, signing in and out.

Cons

Setting up the schedule is difficult. I have to copy and paste each day for each person, even though their schedule remains the same because it's not automatically setting it up properly. The new Auto scheduler should see that "Mindy works 9am-5pm Monday- Friday" every week and set it up that way, but it doesn't. It just decides what hours should be covered and randomly puts in everyone's schedule...

LW

Lex W.

A breath of fresh air compared to when I wrote schedules with a pen and paper.

I love being able to see my employees' overall availability a week at a time, which makes scheduling so much easier. It would be helpful if System Administrators received a notification when a User changed their availability so I could continue to stay ahead of the schedule and be able to maneuver my team better. I do appreciate the ease of scheduling. It's not such a beast anymore!

Pros

Deputy has been a saving grace when it comes to writing schedules. I love the ease of saving locations and being able to house all of my employees' unavailability information in on place. What used to be a beast and take me anywhere from 3-5 hours to complete now can take me 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on staffing changes. Customer service is excellent, especially when setting up your account and being able to decide if Deputy is the best product for your company's use.

Cons

I wish the interface for System Administrators on the mobile application was more user friendly. With my work being partially field based, it would be super helpful to be able to manipulate scheduled on the go instead of needing to use a computer to solidify schedule changes. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this product.

JB

Jon B.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Deputy - We love the product

We have been using Deputy for about 15 months now and it is a great product that just keeps getting better and better with regular updates and new features. Comprehensive functionality and beautifully packaged to make it easy and intuitive for all users which is key to ensure staff adopt it well. We have used others but in my opinion it is the perfect product for our business.

Pros

It is a very friendly and intuitive product. We don't need to train new users, just add them to the system and it takes them through the basics quickly and easily. We just don't get questions from new staff on how to use it, clear simple instructions on a very intuitive platform just makes it easy to start new staff.

Cons

Very little. Would like better holiday tracking reporting but really not much else.

Hey Jon! Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, and we're so happy that you love Deputy as much as we do! In addition, it speaks volumes that your employees feel the same way. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the future, and we look forward to watching your business grow! Happy Scheduling, Team Deputy

MM

Melissa M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

No working

No customer service No IT Service No one knows how to fix anything and no one wants to help get it fixed. Better off just finding a company who will beta test a update before throwing an update out there first And one that has a legit 800# so you and your staff can get back on track when the software is a mess.

Pros

Was working for the time we had this Set up the system in September of 2021

Cons

The software was updated and through a code in the software. Which disabled my staffs open shift calendars. Call the 855# and no one can help. Send a message and still can't help. If you don't respond within 24 hours to a message they close your ticket and the problems aren't fixed. Call sales to see if someone can help and they may put you through to someone. But most likely back into the que so you can hear I can't help you. And message you rep and they don't answer emails. If they do they send you the 855# and back to square one.

NL

Natashia L.

Retail, 1-10 employees

I have loved the fact that I can have as many employees that I want

easy scheduling, great communication with my staff and the ability for my staff to drop shifts, switch shifts of take an open shift.

Pros

My staff and I really like the communication in the news feed, the ability to post PDF and images as needed to all my staff as I use it for my Staff Memos. I also like the ability for them to 'confirm' the message after they have read it. Having the chance to edit the start time of a shift is also helpful as sometimes you forget to log in and it can be adjusted.

Cons

It doesn't show the amount of hours scheduled in a day at the bottom like other software I have previously used. (When I work) and it also doesn't let you type large amounts of text in the news feed.You have to send multiple messages or upload a word document. Users have also complained that they can't view what the full shift times are of other staff working, just the start times of other people. It would also be nice to have multiple people able to log in on the same computer at once. currently one person has to log off before the other can log in.

AG

Adam G.

Simple program to use with great customer service

Pros

Simplicity in its use. I also enjoy the ease of inputting employees into the system and the ease of placing employees into shifts. Its quite easy to use and its functionality is great throughout all levels of use. I can tell you that the customer services is also wonderful and quick to reply to any need. They really have someone available around the clock which is quite helpful considering I often times get my admin work done later at night here in the US!

Cons

Overall, there is not much that I do not like, I do wish that Deputy integrated for little to no cost with accounting or other IT Software programs. I would love to integrate with other programs that I use, but the cost is just too high to do that with the small business that I have. Its ok...easy enough to do on my own due to the ease of use of the program overall.

AC

Alicia C.

Deputy makes scheduling masses easier. A few features need to be added still though

Pros

I love that I can copy-paste a schedule from last week, make minor adjustments for employees who have other rotating schedules to work around, or vacation days... it also makes finding available replacements drastically easier

Cons

I dont like the printable version and I still prefer posting my schedule instead of only having it digital. I want my employees to see my notes for each shift publicly and so I have to screenshot them print which has resolution issues. Therefore I have to size increase the window (ctr+), take two different screenshots, and then stitch together with photoshop in order to share these notes. Also, we are a restaurant that does shifts to phase send people home in order of first clock in time depending on how busy/slow we are or when dinner rush slows down. There is no way to indicate this. I have to use shift end times as estimates and let employees know. Also our POS system Sapphire is not supported and we can't use the clock-in feature

HT

Helen T.

Retail, 1-10 employees

CountryOptusStore

We were using excel spread sheet, manually calculating hours and trying to juggle shift changes. Deputy has changed everything. Copy / paste roster templates, Swap shifts, Auto-calculation of hours, notifications when team members are unavailable - the list goes on. I recommend this product to anyone I know that runs a business with multiple staff members.

Pros

Ease of copying roster into the timeframe and allocating appropriate team members

Cons

Export to Xero timesheets has to be altered manually in Xero for each line as details of type of hours worked does not match Xero. Annual / leave days taken and processed through Deputy transfer onto Xero payslips as individual days. So if a team member takes a week off, instead of it being 1 line of annual leave @ 38hours - it comes up as individual lines at whichever shift hour allocations it was originally for. Makes for an overly long payslip!!!

LD

Laura D.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Deputy Staff Schedule Module

Pros

Deputy provides a fully functional scheduling module we use for our Veterinary practice. Our current software did not include time clock/ scheduling features. Deputy is a user friendly program that handles our paid time off requests, time clock functions, and work area assignments. Deputy has advanced security features such as photo capture at clock in, location of clock in, and password protected access. While providing these features, it also is user friendly.

Cons

Customer support is typically via chat, and their hours of operation do not always reflect US time zones.

VP

Vipin P.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Great UI/UX and Easy to use

Pros

Scheduling was a breeze, approving shifts and managing payroll was simple as well. Integrated well with our payroll software. The best thing was the UI though I have looked at multiple scheduling softwares but they were too complicated to use. My employees could trade shifts with such ease and I could approve them as well. All in all a comprehensive app and website.

Cons

It wasn't very easy to find employee and put in their pay info etc. Otherwise didn't find any cons.

SB

Sarah B.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Absolutely love Deputy!

Absolutely wouldn't use anything else!

Pros

So easy to roster people in appropriate areas, ensure you have the right amount of cover, and let everyone knows what their shifts are. Logging on and off shift is quick and easy, and the phone app is wonderful for offering out shifts to be covered at short notice.

Cons

24/7 online help is good, sometimes there are communication difficulties because of the intricacies of the Australian awards system. However, having an account manager I can book a remote training or consultation session with is awesome!!