SugarCRM Reviews

SugarCRM

Customizable customer relationship management software

3.8/5 (333 reviews)

Pros
  • I used it for a client for more than 1 year, it was using with Oracle DB, i found it is good on a free level, but you will find best competitors that are giving more features.Mahmoud H.Read the full review
  • There are many of reasons why I enjoyed working with SugarCRM. The most enjoyable feature was the ability to input data, save the feature as an report and name it.Petrina E.Read the full review
  • The ability to self-host the platform is fantastic, because it helps keep costs down, and when you work on a small-scale, you don't need all of the processing power of a paid hosted solution.Victoria G.Read the full review
Cons
  • CE is eternally stuck on version 6.5. And then in April 2018, they've removed it entirely so now you're stuck with the Pro or Enterprise editions which are paid-for.Dominic R.Read the full review
  • At the time, Sugar had a Community Edition (free) that you could host on your own LAMP stack... but they wanted to make more money, so they stopped development of that edition, and now it's dead.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • The worst part of this software is its complexity.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Damion Whitten

SugаrCRM: Bооst yоur busіnеss

Reviewed 2019-06-06

Thе Sugаr рlаtfоrm wоrks vеry wеll аnd іs quіtе sсаlаblе асrоss оrgаnіzаtіоns оf аll sіzеs.

Pros
Eхсеllеnt dаtаbаsе systеm. Cаn bе соріеd tо оthеr sеrvеrs. Custоm fіеlds. Abіlіty tо lіnk CRM dаtа tо dеаls. Gооd usеr іntеrfасе. Wе usе SugаrCRM аs оur рrіmаry tооl іn trасkіng аррlісаtіоns, dеtеrmіnіng еlіgіbіlіty, аnd mаnаgіng раymеnts fоr сhіldrеn іn рublісly fundеd рrеsсhооl рrоgrаms. Althоugh іt wаs рrіmаrіly dеsіgnеd аs а sаlеs tооl, wе usе іt lеss аs fоr sаlеs (gіvеn thаt wе аrе nоt а sаlеs оrgаnіzаtіоn) аnd mоrе аs а rеlаtіоnshір mаnаgеmеnt аnd ассоuntіng tооl. Wе hаvе а vеry smаll tеаm (10 реорlе tоtаl), but wе аll usе Sugаr оn а dаіly bаsіs.

Cons
Rеаlly, rеаlly fіnd іt а hаsslе (аt lеаst rіght nоw) tо synс Sugаr wіth оur mаrkеtіng аutоmаtіоn sоftwаrе. Wе usе а 3rd раrty API аs оur соnnесtоr bеtwееn thе twо systеms but I fіnd glіtсhеs іn іt thаt соnсеrn mе аnd mаkе mе wоndеr іf аll my іnfоrmаtіоn іs bеіng ассurаtеly trаnsmіttеd аnd mаtсhеd uр. Sugаr wаsn't vеry іntuіtіvе whеn I fіrst bеgаn usіng іt. Wе rесеntly hаd а 3rd раrty соmе іn tо rеdеsіgn thе systеm fоr us аnd оnсе іt wаs сustоmіzеd, іt wаs muсh bеttеr. Sеаrсh funсtіоn dоеsn't аlwаys sееm tо wоrk іn thе tор nаv bаr- frustrаtіng whеn I'm tryіng tо fіnd sоmеthіng fаst аnd dоn't wаnt tо gо іntо а mоdulе tо dо іt.

Mark Simpson

SugarCRM for great for the marketing emails.

Reviewed 2019-08-09

SugarCRM is so great software because it really help us to taking our sales process more faster. It really allow the small business companies to track sales, invoices, bills and market to our customers in a better way. This CRM is so easy to use just because of its great users interface. Hence, SugarCRM software makes my life so much easier.

Pros
SugarCRM is one of the best marketing platform which really help small business to grow faster and that's why it is also known as the business market smarter software. The best thing about this software is that it always provide the best customer relationships marketing software. We have been use the SugarCRM software foor the sales and marketing purpose because it has the great ability to customization's. Hence, the users interface is very responsive and the well designed.

Cons
The first obvious thing I don't like about this software is that SugarCRM does not have a users-friendly users interface software. The another problem that we faced is that it take a lot of time to setup the everything but the documentations is always great. When we started using this software then we don't find the file manager as so intuitive.

Josh Bieber

SugarCRM Review - Walz Scale

Reviewed 2017-03-16

We have been using Sugar for several years, but only in the past six months have we really dug down to fully utilize the software. The tool is fairly simple to use, I like the reporting functions, but the feedback I get from my sales team is that it is just 'clunky' to use. I'll give you one little example. For the Opportunity 'Actual Closed Won' date, I found through coming across some bad sales data for the month, that if you close a sale in January, and that same month you mark it as Closed Won. But lets say in March you want to go in and add a note to the description. Once you edit that note, (thus changing the Modify date) you autimatically changed the 'Actual Closed Won' date to March. Really messes up sales reports! When I contacted Sugar, there really wasnt an easy fix. We found SierraCRM (third part software) and Bill Convis from there helped with a solution to this problem. We have now purchased this software and believe that this will help take us to the next level of using Sugar. Sugar Support via email is usually pretty prompt, but as far as hearing from our 'Account Manager', just 2 weeks ago was the first time I heard from someone regarding our account. At that point, I had already reached out to SierraCRM, so I did not need anything from Sugar. To summarize: Great tool, though a little clunky, but the price is not bad. Customer service could be improved, especially for companies like us who are invested in the process, and just need some help taking our sales process to the next level. Thanks!

Pros
I like the Online (sugar on demand) that allows Sugar Support to get into your software and look and something you may be struggling with, like reports...

Cons
Design is little clunky. Think with some improvements, it might be easier to convert leads, update opportunities. Need less clicks!

Katie Faltermeier

The Pros and Cons of Sugar

Used occasionally for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2020-01-14

Overall, I really enjoyed Sugar and think it would be a great fit (especially for the lower price point!) for marketing and advertising agencies that are looking to build out custom flows. Their customer care team was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable, and I really enjoyed working with them.

Pros
The SugarCRM team was incredibly helpful and supportive during our decision between various CRMs we were testing out, namely Salesforce and SugarCRM. They were flexible, accommodating and had amazing customer service throughout the process, even willing to develop new APIs to integrate with our proprietary billing system 90% of our clients were on. I really enjoyed the visuals of Sugar - as all the bells and whistles were there, but it didn't seem overwhelming (as Salesforce can) and it's geared more towards marking service teams, like my division of the business. I also really find the dashboard visuals to be superior to Salesforce. Overall, the price point was better than Salesforce, too.

Cons
Since Sugar is geared towards marketing and sales teams, it wasn't a great fit for the other teams within our organization (i.e. one-time products like printing, etc.). Though workflows are cleaner and more intuitive than Salesforce, there wasn't quite as many bells and whistles (i.e. it was difficult to build in processes that involved external teams that we outsource to).

Max Printz

The Defacto Source of Record for EVERYTHING at my old company.

Reviewed 2019-06-27

My old company used SugarCRM for everything. Part number records, customer interaction, test cases, build info, you name it. I got very used to it and really enjoyed using it and wish my other companies would use it instead of the pricey SalesForce.

Pros
SugarCRM is easy and cheap to self host, very reliable and has nice addons, such as to an FTP client or Outlook, etc. It is easy to make your own add on as well.

Cons
The UI is very stale/ old looking although it did have a nice update a few year ago.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Outdated

Reviewed 2019-07-20

Pros
They are continuously making updates and improvements, and support is very responsive. There are a lot of different modules and TONS of flexibility in setting it up to fit your business.

Cons
This isn't for a novice user. I recommend using a consultant or someone to set this up for you and spend the extra money and time on training. Most of our employees are only using small functions of the program and we definitely could be getting more value out of it with better training.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Brent Wesler

The low cost alternative to Salesforce

Reviewed 2017-12-12

Its a CRM so it holds our customer data, but it fails at basic things like contract management, support ticketing, opportunity management, forecasting and searching

Pros
Its going to be difficult to provide any pro's about SugarCRM. I inherited this CRM after coming from multiple companies using salesforce. Sugar is about 40% less expensive than salesforce, and we use the on-premise, but cloud hosted model.

Cons
There are a lot of downsides to sugar. We had corruption issues each time we upgraded, dashboards are extremely limited, and you cannot push out dashboards to users. I find it difficult to use from a UI perspective, where expanded panels make the UI sluggish and busy. searching in the global search bar is odd and you never get proper results, results sets only return up to 1000 rows, other than that you need a report which is extremely difficult to use. Forecasting requires the individual to select the commit button, not the sales manager. You cannot set global quota, but rather a quota per month manually.Probably the most non intuitive UI i have ever used. Every new sales person is just bewildered by its use.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Catherine Blevens

Reliable CRM is here

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-08-24

SugarCRM is an incredible item that covers the CRM requirements for most associations, huge or little.

Pros
Sugar Customer Relationship The executives is a product program business endeavor that produces net utility Sugar, a purchaser seeking control contraption. Sugar engages associations to make customers for life with the field's first canny, no-contact purchaser revel in stage.

Cons
Some of the time, I can't login to different devices PCs which are downside for me. Otherwise it works excellent.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Michael Greengrass

Good CRM System

Reviewed 2020-01-12

It does the job it is supposed to do but could be more user friendly.

Pros
Good for managing relationships and records of work with clients. Does everything a CRM system needs to do.

Cons
It is not the most user friendly system to use and may take some time to fully understand how to use it.

JACK GALE

Felt Old And Dated

Reviewed 2019-08-10

It took a while for me to learn how to use it and even then i never really enjoyed using it.

Pros
It kept client information organized and had click-to-call functionality

Cons
It seemed old and slow but this could have been due to our company's large database.

Joe Tinter

Great For Sales and Leads Tracking, Leaves Much to Be Desired with Support Case Management

Reviewed 2017-03-16

I've used SugarCRM a great deal in current and previous employers, and have always been thrilled with the sales tools that SugarCRM has, and the great ability for customizations, not to mention the continuing updates for each version. Their customer support team is top notch and very helpful for the most part, and there has been very little downtime, allowing all our teams to use the product successfully. If I could choose one thing they could improve upon, it would be their outdated case management tools. I work with our support team and find the options to be limiting compared to other case management solutions such as Zendesk (which I have also used previously). If I am to point out glaring specifics, it would be tracking visibility on unassigned cases (who is viewing each case record? has the case record been updated while I've viewed it?). It would also be the absolute poor setup of getting cases into Sugar -- we have an inbox set to automatically add in cases, but if a customer or one of our personnel doesn't email directly from inside Sugar's Email module, it creates a new case ticket (over and over). This may be a byproduct of the way we have our case management set up, but there are no best practices, and I've had to create custom Process Author tools and Workflows to get it running in a decent way. Again, the product is great from a sales point of view and for lead tracking tools, but the case management tools are dated and need to be examined and looked at to match their competitors in that category.

Pros
Sales tools, lead tracking tools, reporting features are second to none Module builder is fantastic and very customizable.

Cons
Case management tools are lacking to a high degree, very dated

Anonymous

Indeed a great CRM with effective results

Reviewed 2019-05-26

Overall my experience with this CRM is great. I am using it daily and I can say that my daily work is incomplete without it. It is so simple to use and provides amazing results for reports and dashboards, their customer's support team is very responsive.

Pros
I am using it for more than three years and like almost everything about it. This CRM is very easy to use because of its simple design and easy to use user interface. I like the way SugarCRM provides reports and dashboards which is very easy to understand. SugarCRM provides secruity of data and information and now I can handle the different campaigns, create a different campaign for anyone and even get a complete picture of it very easily.

Cons
I would like to highlight one thing that I dislike about it which is its overall cost. A small organization may not afford this CRM but overall it is worth to spend on it.

Chris Coleman

Bargain paid open source CRM with lots of power

Reviewed 2017-02-17

In my opinion, one of the top two open source CRM apps. A responsive web interface which works the same on all smartphones tablets laptops and desktop computers, no app required. The CRM of choice used by many upstart aggressive disruptive companies of all sizes. Highly cost effective, and expandable with tons of third party PHP modules available from the SugarOutfitters app store, such as connectors to your phone system, document system, marketing automation, reports, social media, etc. A complete bargain when compared with the usual salesforce which runs inside a restricted environment. Way more customizable because you have the wide ranging freedom of adding the latest innovations of PHP code to strengthen and automate your CRM.

Pros
Open source roots. Benefits from the rising tide of PHP innovations which let you keep up to date by adding new modules for a very affordable prices. There is a massive community of PHP developers available to help build custom modules for you for cheap prices, if you don't have PHP programming skills.

Cons
It can take some time to get used to how to use it. Also, it's too bad the free SugarCRM CE (Community Edition) version 6.5.25 is somewhat outdated, and updated only to fix security bugs. Although, it's about 75% the same features as the paid current version of SugarCRM Pro 7.8.

Victoria Genest

Excellent Community CRM

Reviewed 2019-02-12

SugarCRM Community edition has been a great daily driver for my music business. It's reliable, and has enough functionality to enable me to record all the key data that I need. The ability to self-host the platform is fantastic, because it helps keep costs down, and when you work on a small-scale, you don't need all of the processing power of a paid hosted solution. Definitely a great option if you have the savvy to install and maintain your own instance on your web server.

Pros
I used the self-hosted community CRM for several years for my own music business. It has a ton of functionality that matches a lot of the basic features you find in Salesforce Classic. It's a great tool for keeping track of client data, deal tracking, etc. It's also nice to be able to self-host the platform as well as it's a lot more affordable than using a paid SaaS solution.

Cons
SugarCRM Community Edition looks pretty dated. If you don't have a lot of experience with the typical CRM data model concept, it can be hard to figure out how to use the system. The interface could be modernized to make it easier to navigate and find your way around. Another downside to being the Community Edition is that you need to know how to install and maintain the platform on your own server, but this is also a plus if you do have these skills.

Elisabeth Hunt

Even the free version is great, with nice custom reporting capabilities.

Reviewed 2019-05-02

Sugar allowed us to consolidate a few disparate software tools into one - now any one at our organization can login and see all there is to know about any of our customers!

Pros
Sugar is SUPER customizable. We've been able to easily make it ours (some via the UI, some "behind the scenes" via scripts). One of the best features are the custom reports. You can do almost SQL-level queries to get the information you want (and if you wish, you can use MySQL as well on the back end.) The ability to build multi-level dropdowns, e.g. to categorize issues, is great too. You can make almost anything you want appear on any screen you wish as well.

Cons
The built-in issue tracking part is designed for issues reported by your team - not for issues reported by your customers. We do use it for customer support, and we LOVE being able to see issues customers have had when we pull up their records - but the emails they receive are not well designed, even after considerable work on our part. In addition, we can't provide them with a login to see all their open issues, so they have to ask us.

Dominic Russo

A good open source CRM, but lacking modernization

Reviewed 2018-06-25

It allowed us as a small business to track, bill, and market to our customers and potential customers.

Pros
Of course you can't beat free when it comes to software. There are so many open-source applications out there that you can almost always find one that meets your needs in this day and age. SugarCRM has been around a long time and has become a mature CRM with all the basics you'd expect. It even handles customization fairly well. Dashboards are great for tracking the simply stuff and you can build your own as well.

Cons
SugarCRM has now split into 2 tracks. There's a paid-for premium version that is typically hosted by SugarCRM. Then there's the Community Edition that's still open-source and free. For years they co-existed side-by-side perfectly fine, but a few years back, SugarCRM decided to stop updating the Community Edition. CE is eternally stuck on version 6.5. And then in April 2018, they've removed it entirely so now you're stuck with the Pro or Enterprise editions which are paid-for.

Anonymous

Sugar was one of my first forays into the world of CRM and covers all the basics

Reviewed 2018-07-13

I learned how to work a CRM. I kept track of all customer records, ranging from revenue and profit and order amount and contact list and order dates and essentially everything related to my job operationally as a purchasing coordinator. Definitely made my life easier.

Pros
Very customizable to your needs. Straightforward, no nonsense UI. Easy to read and find things. Sugar is a perfect entry into CRMs that aren't salesforce, because its useful across all industries and departments. Its simple while being complex. You can create functions and layouts that are very specific to your needs, but without it cluttering and looking like there's a lot of information.

Cons
Its not very pretty. Sort of looks like it was made in the early 200s and they just kept the look since. People are always talking about professionalism, and this definitely looks less polished than other CRMs. Because of this, some of the information can blend together and be difficult to find if there are long lists of things you are looking for.

Juan Fuenmayor

I have made product configurations for a company that provides technical consulting services

Reviewed 2018-04-26

Management of all information related to customers and sales in a single software in a centralized manner that can be accessed by any type of device in real time, providing valuable information for decision making made by the management controls

Pros
The tool is intuitive and very easy to use, there is the option to use the cloud in a private server or use the software tool as a service, it has a variety of modules to carry out the management of clients, such as sales, marketing campaigns, opportunities, potential customers, everything related to meetings and appointments to be carried out by sales executives, among others. It has a module to carry out project management related to opportunities and contributions made. It also has a version for mobile devices that allows you to review information or keep the information of the CRM updated from the comfort of the smart phone and / or tablet. It has the ability to add new fields to the forms by further personalizing the tool, there is a version in which you can by role display a certain form. It has the capacity to extend it by adding new modules

Cons
It has a module to record tasks, which can be used for assigning different activities to employees, in this part you may be able to add some type of SLA and in this way to measure the time it takes for users to complete tasks according to the assignment date and the SLAs registered for a specific type of task. Workflows are very basic for the professional version

Vince Profaca

SugarCRM Review

Reviewed 2017-09-08

One of the main benefits is having the mobile app that SugarCRM provides this helped to get us data and information at our fingertips when needed. Sugar is reasonably priced, has pretty good user-friendly interfaces and requires just a little training to get used to it. It's more suitable for mid-sized companies.

Pros
SugarCRM functioned well for storing prospect and customer information. I was able to load new contacts into the system without much hassle. Our company is able to adjust the system software to fit our specific needs with ease simply by reaching out to the support team.

Cons
We wanted to explore other CRM options it was nearly impossible for me, from a user standpoint, to export all of our information. We were coming up on the end of our trial and stood to lose all of our data and I couldn't figure out how to export it. Difficult to do filters as well. I didn't like the format for leads to accounts to sales. Pipeline is also difficult to follow.

James Mallory

Best CRM I've Ever Used

Reviewed 2012-11-26

Starting at $30/user/month - this is by far the best value I've seen on the market for sales and marketing CRM software. It's not Salesforce.com which is a good thing because Sugar is easier to implement, easier to use, a fraction of the price, and does just about everything that higher end systems can do if you're creative and work with a partner to tailor the application to your business like we did.

Pros
We are a Sugar CRM reseller but this review is from my perspective as a user of this fantastic software. Most CRM is the same functionally - manage accounts, contacts, opportunities, etc. But what sets Sugar apart from the rest of them are three fundamental things: 1. Simplicity - Sugar CRM is clean. It's super easy to get any information you need without needing your IT guy to build you a custom report. 2. Customization - Every business is different and you need your CRM system to adapt to you. Sugar Studio makes tailoring your software easy - even if you're not that technical. Dare I say - even a marketing or sales person could do it. 3. Plug-Ins - There are tons of plug-and-play add-ons to extend SugarCRM in virtually any area - support desk, email marketing, and much more. We use Inbox25 for email marketing and are leaning toward InsideView for integrated list management but there are so many other options to consider.

Cons
We are using the hosted, On Demand version which limits our access to source modifications (somewhat). We have been able to work around all of these so far. If we get to a point where we need more access to modify the underlying program we can always bring the product in-house and customize to our hearts content. There have been a few minor bugs that we've found - certainly no more than we had in our previous CRM system but Sugar's support team had them resolved - almost immediately!

Sugar CRM Review

Reviewed 2019-02-12

Sugar seemed like a really awesome CRM with exciting features, but it was very time consuming to make sure everything was in and done correctly that it just became a headache and took focus off of selling.

Pros
Sugar had a lot of cool features that I had not seen in other crm's I've used in the past. When they worked, it allowed me to quickly see my month and goals and see what I had in my pipeline still. Also, it was fairly easy to use while driving in the car between appointments and quickly type in a review of what I met with the accounts about.

Cons
Quit often the software features that we nice to have were either not accurate or not working. The idea of having it was nice but it was annoying when I had no idea what was correct with my numbers. Also, it took quite a long time to find certain accounts and many of them were duplicated in the system and you must pay close attention to the account number to make sure it was the right one. Also, putting in tasks and calls were done separately so our management team required that we basically put in one contact with an account twice to make sure it was on our calendar and the pipeline.

Bud Hartley

Easy to implement, easy to customize, product support is OUTSTANDING

Reviewed 2018-02-16

Better Customer Satisfaction from effective management of touch points. Sales productivity because they spend less time doing "paperwork" and more time selling. Effective management of RGA process, Special Quotes, Purchasing, mailing literature, tracking sales activity.

Pros
Built-in development tool (Studio) and the Advanced Workflow Manager. One can have a functional, useful, robust, effective, CRM running within an hour. Getting started by importing Accounts and Contacts is easy and the software modules allows customization the meet specific business needs.

Cons
The Advanced Workflow Manager is still missing a few functions that were available in the "old" Workflow Manager. There is a plan to remove the prior Workflow, but its demise has been delayed until the SugarCRM folks fix the deficiencies.

Review of SugarCRM

Reviewed 2018-11-02

Databases are complete and it definitely solved some issues with sales pipeline tracking. The software is extremely expensive to customize using certified Sugar partners, it's not intuitive enough to customize in-house. The system does not do everything that was advertised to us

Pros
There is a lot of potential here, it is possible to create automated business processes, highly customizable reports, and creates high visibility of sales pipeline.

Cons
You really need to be a basic-intermediate level programmer to customize this software in house. Sales rep told us the mobile app would auto log both incoming and outgoing calls. There is no way to auto-log incoming calls and it will only auto-log outgoing calls if you use the app to make the call. In addition the training provided was not comprehensive and going to an outside company to assist with problems, set up or any other technical support is extremely expensive. They give you just enough rope to hang yourself.

Great CRM, but the FREE version is the best

Reviewed 2018-07-20

The main benefits I got from this software was the ability to keep my contacts all in one place. It was excellent in scheduling tasks, creating contacts, assigning tasks, etc.

Pros
The thing I liked best about the Sugar CRM Community Edition that is free is that our developers could customize it for our company and add great features, something we can't do with the big name CRM solutions.

Cons
The thing I like the least about this software is it is very limited in features which makes their competitors a better bargain. Additionally, the functionality can be off. For example, our developers had difficulty incorporating some features into their free CE because of bugs. I have heard from others the paid version is overpriced, not worth it, and there are other better options out there.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Nathan Fultz

Good CRM Tool - Self hosted using a Windows/SQL stack.

Reviewed 2017-01-09

It has worked well and really empowered our sales process. For the first time, we are able to easily see where a pursuit is in the sales process. Overall, it has increased our team selling and made communication more efficient across the selling team. Sugar has a good base and framework to build out marketing automation, which is driving better market awareness and sales than before.

Pros
Sugar is easily customized and the option to host on-site is not available by a lot of other CRM providers. We are able to synchronize a lot of data from our existing business software easily by directly accessing the SQL database. With the cloud version, we would have had to write code utilizing the CRM API to synchronize everything. Building all of that would have been significantly more expensive for us. From both the Admin and user perspectives, the software is very easy to learn and intuitive. Our users are very happy with the new software and easy it is to use.