SurveyMonkey Logo

SurveyMonkey

A market-leading survey platform.

SurveyMonkey Reviews

4.6

9.9K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.67/10

Reviews by rating

Happy using surveymonkey, once I prepared office Christmas party and I used it to create a voting platform to present funny awards to the employees.
I love survey monkey I feel this is one of the best survey software out there. The setup process is very fast and seamless.
Customization on this platform is really fantastic and everything is so easily customizable, the user interface is slick and clean and very friendly looking.
The company's take on my dilemma was - "Pay for it" and you'll get the information you need. In my opinion they shouldn't bother having a free version of this software if it functions that poorly.
And completing would give you typically anywhere between 0.5-2. All surveys initially start with a few boring routine questions, which make you pissed off.
There should be more protection factors when approving registrations and preventing fraud.

9,975 reviews

RS

Reelika S.

Coach

Consumer Services, self-employed

SurveyMonkey Review: Great tool for customer feedback

Transcript

Reelika S.: Hi, I'm Reelika, and I'm a business strategist and solopreneur, and I would give SurveyMonkey...

Kristi B.

Comms

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1,001-5,000 employees

SurveyMonkey Review: Is A Turn Key Tool.

Transcript

Kristi: My name is Kristi. I have used SurveyMonkey in my work as a freelancer and have used it, so I'm...

FAIBREY D.

Farming, 5,001-10,000 employees

Data Collection and Analysis Master

It has simplified to a great extent on how we gather information from our customers and employees. It has improved on time taken to complete a research topic, materials needed for the task, saving costs and accuracy of collected data.

Pros

The first beautiful thing I like is that their website and the mobile application are very responsive and have a great user interface that enables us to complete tasks in a short period of time. On features, I am impressed that it gives me well made templates on how i want my questionnaire to look like. I do not need special designing skills as everything is already set and I just need to input my...

Cons

The only time I had troubles was when i was using the mobile application to create a questionnaire and I closed the app before completion. All my work was lost as it did not save it automatically and I had to start again. Another problem is that it does not allow work to be done offline.

TH

Tori H.

Professional Training & Coaching, 201-500 employees

Easy to Use

Pros

As the person taking the surveys, survey monkey has always been easy to use. It gives you an estimate of how long is left in the survey and also filters people out who would not qualify for the survey.

Cons

No cons come to mind, I have not had any issues with survey monkey.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Unsure Who To Blame ...

The idea behind digital survey taking is incredible, tech does soooo much for the modern world, but when it comes to surveying, marketing, or attempting to do any type of consumer data collection for means of attaining any type of accurate analysis, I dont know if we will ever have a model for selecting candidates that actually benefits and represents a person or company in the totality which we are...

Pros

Ease of use, functionality for simple tasks or very basic data collection. Price. Easy to understand dashboard, mostly user friendly.

Cons

Results were not quite what we were seeking, and it wasn't until we used the software on our own did we find out the complexity behind receiving accurate data. We were being phased out when we shouldn't have been and took some time to figure out that maybe the problem lies behind what we are geared towards, the data we seek, and the problems we try to solve for people. Data collection dependent on societies psyche or judgement forming depends on so much, mostly their ideas and experiences in their reality, which may be wildly different than others, based on the same or different factors. So long story short our results were not what we were seeking and its extremely time consuming creating a model for accurate questioning.

EW

Essence W.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Standing Strong

Pros

I still truly like Survey Monkey. Although I use other survey software more frequently, per university requirement, I still tend to go back given quality ergonomic features.

Cons

I think other survey platforms were a bit easier to use and disseminate with less of learning curve, especially among students who are learning how to use survey data.

OT

ORNELLA T.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Easy to use and reliable survey tool

Pros

What i appreciate the most about SurveyMonkey is that, it helps me to collect the opinions of many clients at a time, and based on their responses, i am able to take good and rapid decisions in order to always provide the best services.

Cons

What i like the least is that, the free version is limited. In order to use advanced functionalities of SurveyMonkey, i must pay a subscription.

MP

Madhu P.

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Engage your Team

The program is easy to use and you can track the results as you go

Pros

I like how SurveyMonkey allows me to create and distribute various types of surveys

Cons

A lot of options charge you extra in order to use them. but some have ways to get around

DE

Destiny E.

Human Resources, 11-50 employees

Survey Monkey!

Pros

I love that Surveys are easy to make on the application. I love the mobile access to because it allows participants to participate from the comfort of wherever they are on their smartphone. The application is easy to use for both creators and participants.

Cons

So far, there is really not a least favorite thing about the app. It does its job exceptionally well :)

EH

Edward H.

Banking, 10,001+ employees

Survey Monkey Review

It provides me with a quick and easy way to create surveys, collect information and share results

Pros

I can easily create surveys and collect polling info and share it to Facebook.

Cons

None, I have not found any features I dislike.

MH

Marcy H.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

user friendly

Pros

Its user-friendly interface makes it simple for even beginners to create

Cons

it's expensive for what all it does for a team.

Jomon F.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Best method for creating survey online

Pros

Easy platform for survey. There is also an option for logic.

Cons

There is only limited number of survey is available.

KB

Kristen B.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

It's free, and the known and rusted name helps you get better results.

Businesses and non-profits need feedback, and SurveyMonkey is a free, easy, and efficient way of getting that feedback, and putting it into an analyzable form you can use. Having the ability to track your data and responses, chart them, even download your results, is invaluable for those who use member / customer / client feedback. In a non-profit for example, sending an email to people who didn't renew their membership to ask why they didn't renew was able to give us valuable information. We learned that some of the reminder mailings were not reaching the right people. By making some adjustments and making sure we always had correct contact information on file, we were able to drastically increase membership retention numbers.

Pros

It's free. That is the main appeal to me when I ran a small business, and also when I was involved with non-profit organizations that don't have a budget for professional surveys. Survey Monkey has been around for over a decade (maybe even over fifteen years?) and it is a well-known name in many industry circles, certainly in the non-profits I worked with. People are much more willing to click on...

Cons

It's hard to complain about free software. With all free software, there are limitations you don't get in the paid versions, which is to be expected, and I have no complaints about that.

RD

Roxanne D.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

Survey Monkey allows honest feedback

The software may not be user friendly for those who are creating the survey but it is quite straightforward for those who are giving their feedbacks. When survey monkey was used by the organization to strengthen our organization. We were free to answer honestly and anonymously.

Pros

Survey monkey allows you to be anonymous which allows the feedback to be honest. We use survey monkey in our organization to resolve conflicts and for the use of organisational growth. Since it can be anonymous no one have to fear to type what they actually think and HR will know how to move forward since the feedbacks would be considered honest and not forced.

Cons

Even though survey monkey is beneficial to our organization it as a few cons. We needed a method to use in our department to resolve an issue and would like to do so without anyone fearing to speak because they would be judged or the issue would have just gotten worst. So we decided to use survey monkey. I most say it got the job done but we had a few hiccups along the way. Firstly, the software isn't user friendly for beginners. It doesn't offer many selections when it comes on to customization. We had to choose from only 12. The package that you get at the standard rate limits you alot and if you want more you have to upgrade.

SD

Shaun D.

Real Estate, 1,001-5,000 employees

The original easy to use tool, now with a ton more features and functionality.

Overall SurveyMonkey is still our go-to tool for measuring employee experience and receiving feedback, while the simple visualizations of our data has proven to be a big bonus in analyzing the data to make decisions around which actions to take to action the data.

Pros

The SurveyMonkey tool has evolved from its original format to grow exponentially in the number of features it offers, but has maintained its core value proposition which has always been ease of use. Understanding the layout and how to build surveys is easy and straightforward, and a quick search of the help materials can explain more intricate functionality that you may want (such as customization and survey logic.) From there SurveyMonkey has evolved to include excellent dashboards to visually display and share the live survey results with others. This feature is especially useful for providing senior leaders insight into the data without having to send around static documents that may change as more responses are received.

Cons

The licensing and pricing structure can initially be confusing and the way individual user data is stored makes it difficult to move from multiple small accounts to a large enterprise account without a lot of consolidation work.

EB

Eva B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Does it's Job, but not always the job you want

Overall I think Survey Monkey is a great tool for those doing general surveys, market research, customer research and some evaluation feedback. However for those looking to do actual data mining- I would go with a more sophisticated system like Qualtrics.

Pros

Survey Monkey is an easy platform to use. Many questions are already built into the program if you need them. The platform is user-friendly and allows for different formats of questions. It also allows you to add logic (ie: if they answer this, then go to that) formats. You can also add design elements so that you can brand it to your company. Sending out the surveys is also made simple, in that you can send a link, load a group into the program or a variety of other methods.

Cons

I have a problem with this software when it comes to analyzing my results. For one, I do not like the options they give you around exporting the data. I wish their was more customization around this. Especially when I have very specific data I want to compare, the .xls is formatted in a way that I have to go in and edit each individual question. I wish I could choose exactly the data I want to export...

KB

Kristen B.

Biotechnology, 1-10 employees

It does the job but leaves much to be desired.

I’m glad it exists - it helped me make surveys. But even though you are grateful for it, you can still bemoan it’s terrible ability to be used by a team, and it’s reliance on the perfect survey maker.

Pros

It’s easy to make multiple surveys and it prompts you to customize them. The surveys look great and encourage people to take them!

Cons

The team function works terribly. It was impossible for multiple people to edit the survey prior to sending and it also doesn’t check for question accuracy. For example, a question that’s clearly a checkbox in the sound of it should not be able to be published if checkboxes aren’t an option for it.

RN

Rhiannon N.

Retail, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

Free version has limitations but gets the job done

I have used survey monkey for nonprofit and for-profit business purposes. In both experiences I found participant interaction and completion to be quite steady thanks to the attractive UI. Were I to create surveys on a regular basis I would probably find myself coughing up the cash so I could keep the data and run a variety of reports. The data is solid, but keeping it with the free version is difficult.

Pros

This app provides more options than other free counterparts like Google. It’s also for more aesthetically pleasing ‘s and I found clients more likely to participate with a survey monkey survey than others.

Cons

Exporting data is difficult with the free version. They also don’t maintain the information in their database past a certain number of months. It’s not impossible Since members can pay for more features, but free sole proprietor who can’t afford a pricey subscription it can be rather limiting.

DN

Doug N.

Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 employees

Survey Monkey - Needs some improvement

Technically this is a great product but the customer service and support side of things is just awful. At one point it felt like a ghost business. If there is a phone support number I could never find it. Email response takes days and sometimes weeks. Use the product but hope you do not need support.

Pros

Nice customisation available. Applying our own branding was fairly easy. Completing a survey as a user feels slick and snappy.

Cons

I needed to deploy this via API. To get the survey results relied on Webhooks. That took me awhile to get right. What I truly found frustrating was the cap on API calls (500). To lift the cap meant taking our account to a commercially unacceptable price. Five times our existing plan to double our API. Calls. In addition it took weeks to hear back from customer service. They only got in touch after I went public on Facebook.

TT

Timmy T.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Superior to Google Forms

I use Surveymonkey in emails to determine best meeting times and practice. Also, our internal team leaves a survey active on our website so users can rate and provide feedback on our current software and patches.

Pros

I like that any Surveymonkey user can call their help center if there's some sort of problem or question. Nothing like that for Google Forms. Also, upgrading SurveyMonkey allows surveys to be hosted on websites, which is great for regular-recurring meetings.

Cons

I did not like the "custom" charts that were available for premium users. I was hoping to have more control over the type and aesthetic of the chart produced.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great way to automate your marketing

I love so many aspects - from great customer service, to mobile optimization, to automation. Now, they even offer ad management and paper marketing. Love, love, live Mailchimp.

Pros

Scheduling my email deployment through their feature that analyzes recipient's activity, as well as automating email deployments. I also love the fact that it can allow for segmentation based on activity.

Cons

I just love the software. It is by far one of the best I have worked with. I wish there was more support on an individual level and questions specific to the business.

Online Media, self-employed

Great Option

Overall, SurveyMonkey is a great option for businesses and individuals who need to create and distribute surveys. It's easy to use, affordable, and offers powerful analytics tools. However, if you need to create complex surveys or are concerned about data security, you may want to consider a more specialized survey tool.

Pros

User-friendly: SurveyMonkey is very easy to use, even for people with no experience in survey creation. The drag-and-drop interface makes it simple to add questions, customize the look and feel of the survey, and set up advanced features like branching and logic.Affordable: SurveyMonkey offers a variety of pricing plans to fit any budget. The free plan is a great option for small businesses or individuals...

Cons

Limited customization: SurveyMonkey's templates and themes provide a good starting point, but you may find that you need to customize the look and feel of your surveys to match your brand or corporate identity.Not ideal for complex surveys: SurveyMonkey is best suited for simple surveys with a few questions. If you need to create a complex survey with multiple branching questions, logic, or other advanced features, you may want to consider a more specialized survey tool.Data security: SurveyMonkey takes data security seriously, but there have been some security breaches in the past. If you're concerned about data security, you may want to consider using a more secure survey tool.

SL

Sara L.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Used other for 2+ years

You get what you pay for, or in this case what you don't.

For a free service, it certainly gets the job done! The hardest part is condensing what you'd like to ask in only 10 questions. If you're looking for something that will let you dig a little deeper, you might need to try another service or pay for the premium version.

Pros

Plain and simple, Survey Monkey does what is says it will help you do; create a short survey that can easily be shared with others. Each question can be customized to gather the data you're looking for. You are able to easily select what type of question you would like (i.e., multiple choice, open ended) and then add on things like having the user explain why they chose that answer. A feature that...

Cons

At the end of the day Survey Monkey is a business that wants to make money. While they offer a free service, they try at every turning point (or page click) to get your money. They suggest features to make your survey better and ultimately, most of it is click bate in order for you to look at their "premium" options. It is relatively annoying and does take up some time when you get to the end of building your survey only to realize they aren't going to let you use a well liked feature. So, you get what you pay for, if you're not paying, you're not getting anything spectacular.

P Christopher B.

Higher Education,

A Free and Easy Survey Manager

Survey Monkey is an easy-to-use system which has provided a means by which we are able to better understand how we have succeeded with different customers and where we need to improve. While there is a fee to receive all the benefits with Survey Monkey, it has certainly been worth it.

Pros

The nice thing about survey monkey is that it gives you an easy way to get opinions on various topics through a simple form. Furthermore, rather than having to create the form by hand, Survey Monkey does all the work. Choose your question type, input the question, and *boom*: you've got your first form up and running. Since Survey Monkey is based on links, it also protects any user from inputting...

Cons

While there is a basic plan, Survey Monkey does have paid options. This means the basic plan is severely limited in options. You have a limited number of surveys, questions, and even responses. Customer support is even limited based on whether you pay money or not. While every program needs money to pay for their different employees, the price is certainly steep. Furthermore, as far as responses...

moses k.

SurveyMonkey enabled us to supercharge our market research without heavy monetary investment

Pros

We found it so easy to set up any type of survey based on what data we wanted. Competing services do no come close to the survey type options that SurveyMonkey offers for all manner of uses ranging from inter departmental data to customer research. We didn't even have to read through the documentation before using the services that SurveyMonkey offers, a towering testament to the intuitiveness inherent in the service. The templates are really helpful for a new term members who don't know how to craft a professional and complete survey. We mostly start with the provided templates and slightly modify them depending on our needs. Every team member gives the user experience an A+; there's little or nothing to complain about with the user experience

Cons

the very attractive advantage plan is quite expensive for small to medium businesses. It would be nicer if this package was slightly more affordable since it has very important features that the marketing department cant really do without. There isn't a live chat option that we could use. This means employees from differing time zones can't easily get helped

FQ

Farah Q.

Architecture & Planning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Great Tool for Surveying!

Overall, I find both the back end and front end of SurveyMonkey easy to use. More affordable options for surveys that reach a larger user base would help provide flexibility. The SurveyMonkey interface is extremely professional without being bogged down by fancy or difficult to use inputs.

Pros

This is an easy and interactive feature to use.The amount of customizable fields that can be used is helpful.Users that interact with the poll find surveys to be user friendly and quick. The survey user interface makes for quick answering- it is an efficient tool.

Cons

SurveyMonkey is expensive. A per use survey fee instead of a monthly subscription can be offered. I have had to pay for a monthly fee in order to use a survey once.Customer Service is not readily available and could be more accessible. For instance, a live chat feature could help solve any user issues right away- these problems often occur when creating a survey.Having a more in depth "how to" guide for users that are creating surveys would also eliminate any questions. Perhaps creating a forum for users to enter in any questions and answers would also help build a technical support community.Being able to integrate other products with Survey Monkey would be useful. For instance, I would like to be able to incorporate a Survey Monkey poll onto my custom website (Squarespace).

TB

Tiffany B.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1,001-5,000 employees

Surveys Anyone Can Set Up!

SurveyMonkey is something I use every single day and my experience has been very positive. It has made data collection easy for my company. Another feature I find extremely useful is the ability to export your data to Excel. This allows for even more data manipulation and analytics.

Pros

SurveyMonkey is extremely easy to use. I have set up several different kinds of surveys. I like that everything is so user friendly. There are multiple options for setting up each question and SurveyMonkey does most of the power lifting for you. As the person writing the survey, it's your job to write the questions and then inputting it into SurveyMonkey is a breeze. Drop down menus and real time feedback allows you to see your survey's design as you build it. Your questions can range from simple multiple choice questions to likert scale questions to free response. The possibilities are endless!

Cons

In the free version of this you are limited in the number of responses you can collect. It only allows you to collect 100 which works for some but if you have larger data collection needs you will need to purchase more features from Survey Monkey.