BambooHR Logo

Everything works together in one platform.

BambooHR Reviews

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

rippling
dayforce-hcm

The software is clean and simple and serves as a great resource for company information, coworker contacts, and a comprehensive company calendar outlining anniversaries, birthdays, and days off.
I hadn't used it until my current company and I am really happy to be able to utilize it. There are so many great features and I love it.
BambooHR has some great integrations (Slack, for instance) that allow me to see when my co-workers are out of the office or even celebrating an anniversary or birthday.
Some of the updates would cause havoc on the system and delay some of our onboarding.
The only con I have noticed is from guys in HR complaining that it does not provide in-house payroll management.
At times I struggle with the signing portion of documents.

2,856 reviews

KK

Kurt K.

Chief People Officer

Construction, 501-1,000 employees

BambooHR Review: BambooHR The First & Last Solution For HR Needs.

Transcript

Kurt: My name is Kurt. I am the Chief People Officer with Louisville Paving and Construction and we are...

Destiny E.

Marketing Communications Director

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Our HR and Internal Comms Team LOVES BambooHR

Transcript

Destiny E.: Hi! I'm Destiny, and I'm a director in the higher education industry, and I give BambooHR...

Jackie V.

Hospitality, 201-500 employees

Effective, time saving, keeps you organized!

I am really happy that we chose BambooHR, it keeps me organized, it takes care of reminders, which it was a huge problem that I had before, having to remember each employee dates of hire, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc. I also like that all our locations are under the same platform, so it is really easy to find employee's information. You can also have all the documents signed electronically, which saves time, paper & trees! I definitely recommend it.

Pros

I like the fact that reminds you about everything! we were able to set up reminders for employee eligibility for benefits, for employee discounts, for evaluations and much more! I love that I can have the employee's information in one platform, including the staff in Madrid. We are able to communicate with everyone at the same time. I also like that the employee onboarding makes them part of the team immediately!

Cons

Sometimes is confusing where to find things. The implementation was a little rushed. We weren't able to go back and review items when we had doubts, it seems to be that the trainer has a schedule that they can't miss, even if you have questions.

Sara B.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

BambooHr is the most intuitive HR software available

My company had a lot of manual processes before we started using Bamboo. Bamboo simplified these procedures and freed up time that I could put toward other responsibilities. A certification tracking system was recently implemented. It wasn't as easy to set up as I'd hoped, but with the help of customer service, we're all set up and everyone (including managers) is getting reminders about upcoming courses and certifications.

Pros

As an HR manager, BambooHR equips me with resources to improve workers' lives on the job. In times of need, I receive prompt assistance from BambooHR. Simply put, Bamboo HR is a joy to work with. It's user-friendly enough for small businesses without a human resources department to implement and utilize with no training.

Cons

If we had a little more leeway, we could replace the generic performance assessment questions with ones specific to our company.

MF

Michelle F.

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Easy as 1 2 3

BambooHR has helped us keep track of leave and it is accessible from anywhere.

Pros

BambooHR is easy to use, new staff don't need to spend a lot of time learning how to go about it.

Cons

The tool for recording trainings attended by staff could be improved.

CC

Christopher C.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Not As Efficient as Anticipated

It's a step up from what our company was doing previously, but we definitely need to consider moving into a different HR software.

Pros

Once you finally construct an HR new hire packet to your liking, the rest of the process for onboarding is easy. PTO tracking is a simple feature to use as well.

Cons

-The system does not flag a candidate with duplicate SSN's, ID information etc. This is a critical downfall. A candidate can create several duplicate profiles with different emails or phone numbers to get around being classified as "not eligible for rehire". If you use this system, please be sure your staff does their due diligence to compare similar names, and middle names. -Customer service is dreadful. Rather than specifically identifying your concern and providing a solution - your situation gets referenced to one of their articles. Then the ETA for an actual solution is left to ambiguity. -Their system bugs often; For example, I just cleared my inbox today, and it's still prompting me on open tasks needing my attention.

WL

Will L.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Decent HR System

Pros

Modern and inutive interface Able to integrate with a number of additional tools and services Has an "identity" which seems to sync with a companies culture of engagement Easy to book holiday

Cons

Takes a bit of time to get used to the system Would like a centralised knowledgebase as a user

CH

Cyndi H.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

Financial Analyst Take on Bamobb

Overall: Bamboo has been a tremendous help to our organization and we are very happy with our decision

Pros

I am easily able to run reports and obtain most of the information I need

Cons

The inability to create my own reports and the limited reporting option is a huge problem for me.

LA

Lindsay A.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Great HRIS for Small / Midsize Companies

Pros

Customization Flexibility User Friendly Modern Regular Updates

Cons

Limitations in Functionality - but constantly growing Glitches / System Errors

DA

Dan A.

Human Resources, 11-50 employees

Great system!

Overall positive, but always room for improvement.

Pros

I really enjoyed how seamless it was to submit PTO requests, track time, and see what my team was doing.

Cons

Very few cons, but perhaps integration with Outlook would have been helpful.

TB

Taylor B.

Construction, 201-500 employees

BambooHR great for employee time tracking!

Pros

I like the cleanliness of Bamboo and I like the time tracking feature. It is easy to keep track of employees time.

Cons

That it's laggy and slow. It sometimes times out when trying to click on people's profile.

AH

Alton H.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Stick with BambooHr

Pros

I mostly use the software for recruiting and onboarding. It has made this side of the business easy. Onboarding documents are sent to employees and it keeps track of the progress. Employees can also view and print paystubs and even request time off. These are awesome features.

Cons

I think the software is great. No complaints.

DC

Danielle C.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

BambooHR - 10/10 Would Recommend

Overall, it's been a really great experience as an implementer, an admin, and a user.

Pros

I advocated for BambooHR for my company as its first HRIS, and I believed it would be a major benefit to our company, and it has been. It's a major bragging right of mine that I found BambooHR at a conference, convinced my boss to sign off on it, and executed the roll-out and got most staff on-board with it as a concept. So, I like most things about BambooHR. It's intuitive for users and administrators...

Cons

Honestly, there's not a lot I don't like about the software. When we first got it, I would say its lack of payroll integration, but it's since integrated TRAX payroll with the software, which our accounting team is now switching to.

SC

Shana C.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

One of the best decisions our business has ever made

We are a school and our teachers don't want to spend a ton of time on their computers trying to find the information they are looking. BambooHR's website and app are so straightforward, our teachers picked up on everything very quickly. There are always learning curves involved any time new software and processes are released to an organization but the whole experience went much more smoothly than I ever expected.

Pros

I have gone through implementation of payroll services with four different providers over the years and BambooHR was by far the easiest process with the fewest issues. While there was work involved, their expectations were very clear and they worked with us to determine the best way to manage unique situations specific to our company. The system is very intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

There are some small things here and there that we have encountered and have to work around, but customer services is always very responsive and help us find a solution. We have made suggestions to BambooHR's feedback team and they have already implemented some changes to help with some of these issues. They are always making improvements and additions to their products.

AM

Andre M.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

An HRIS that was built with HR in mind

This was hands down the easiest onboarding of a new software package that I have ever experienced. We are a Critical Access Hospital that decided to implement its first HRIS in February of 2020, right as the pandemic started. Of all the things we had to worry about, this implementation was not one of them. The team walked us through the process, meet with us whenever we needed, and assisted in personalizing the software. We went from 0 to complete within a month! And they have been supporting us every step of the way since then. I couldn't ask for a better HRIS partner.

Pros

The software is very easy to personalize to your organizations individual needs. Response from the help desk is usually within minutes, and their out of the box thinking ensures you will get the output that you are looking for.

Cons

BambooHR works great with other software programs that have HR in mind. If your backbone software is built for integration is industry specific and somewhat inflexible, it is more difficult to integrate the great features that BambooHR has to offer.

LM

Lori M.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

Great HR System!

Overall, I love BambooHR. I have implemented it in several companies I have worked for over the years. It is such a great system, I tried to bring it in whenever I had the chance!

Pros

BambooHR has everything in one place. Easy to set up and implement and employees can start using it immediately with very little training. Very easy to customize it to suit your company's unique needs. Customer service is second to none!!

Cons

Having an integrated payroll system would be the cherry on top but for a Canadian company, this option is not available. A huge market untapped!! The ability to choose a "close" date for the Performance Management Reviews would be very helpful as sometimes a longer or shorter window is required.

JB

Jennifer B.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Great HRIS

Very positive

Pros

Easy to integrate and use, very user friendly, very useful reporting tools.

Cons

To be able to make reports on a chosen date and not only on the current date. Be able to identify managers more easily.

AS

Ashley S.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

A Partner for this HR Department of One!

BambooHR has saved me time, money and honestly some of my sanity. Before implementing BambooHR, I was spending most of my time manually updating employee's time off records, inputting pen and paper timesheets into a spreadsheet to then key into a payroll system, and using multiple systems to track job postings and candidates. Now, I have it all in one place with so many helpful and time saving features to make my day-to-day a little easier.

Pros

Being able to bring so many various aspects of my job together in one platform has made me much more efficient in areas such as applicant tracking, time tracking, and payroll processing!

Cons

One of my Bamboo HR wish list items is a scheduling feature! I would like to see this feature combined with the time clock function to help us enforce policies about clocking in early, as well as sending a reminder to clock in or out for scheduled shifts. I would also like to see improved calendar functionality. Currently, the only way to add items to the calendar are through the time off policies. I would like to be able to manually add events and other items to the calendar.

Andrew K.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Great HR Software for Small Businesses

Overall, this is a great HR application for small businesses. There are a lot of very useful out-of-box features available, and the pricing model doesn't change if you are under a certain number of users so there is room for growth without continuously increasing your costs. Compared to other HR applications we researched, this was the most user-friendly for the best price. If you are looking to automate some of your HR work, I highly recommend implementing BambooHR. It has greatly improved the organization of our HR processes.

Pros

BambooHR is an easy to use and very comprehensive HR software that offers a lot of valuable and high-use out-of-box features. Our initial primary uses of the software were aggregation and consolidation of personnel information, PTO tracking, and general communication of company announcements to the team. As we got further into the product offerings, we also began to heavily utilize the onboarding, offboarding, and recruiting features, all of which were previously done using very manual processes. BambooHR allowed us to discontinue using spreadsheets and other manual forms for very common and basic HR functions, while housing them under one roof. It also provided our employees with a easier way to contribute to their own personnel profiles, and while as request and track PTO.

Cons

To properly utilize BambooHR according to your companies specific HR processes, there is a lot of individual and time-intensive setup involved. The platform is fairly customizable, but only if you are willing to invest significant time into configuring the features. While we expected a significant time investment into setting up the application, we were disappointed to learn that we would not have...

AJ

Aimee J.

Utilities, 51-200 employees

BambooHR - Friend to People Operations!

We've used BambooHR since 2017, moving from tracking information via spreadsheets and paper forms to fully electronic. The implementation process takes preparation to ensure you have quality information imported into the system and is worth the time and effort. The implementation specialist works with you to ensure you're on track and implementation goes smoothly. If you take the time to introduce BambooHR to employees and provide them with training, they easily adapt as this is a very user-friendly system. Over the years we've added additional custom table to track information and the Bambooligans have been very responsive. I highly recommend BambooHR!

Pros

• User-friendly • Customizable (ie. you can have Bamboo set up tables that you can use to track your Medical Examiner’s certifications/driver’s licenses & set reminders for expiration) • Hiring system ports directly into employee creation • Applicant tracking system (automatically posts to Indeed, Glassdoor & ZipRecruiter) • Onboarding / offboarding • Standardized & customizable reports • Org chart • Company...

Cons

• Lack of ability to set up onboarding tasks for internal promotions • Training tracking is simplistic, they do offer integrations with LMS • Doesn’t connect with our payroll system (although you could have someone build a custom integration)

Leigh A.

Executive Office, 11-50 employees

A lot of Bang for Our Bucks

Overall, our experience with BambooHR has been extremely positive. Our employees have raved over how much more efficient and streamlined our HR processes are. Customer Support, if needed, is super responsive and satisfactory resolutions/answers are provided quickly.

Pros

There are so many positive things I can say about this software that I am not sure I even know where to begin. Implementation was a breeze, the look and feel of Bamboo is clean and intuitive, and there are so many options for an organization to really make it their own through branding and customization. Additionally, I am a huge fan of the amount of administrative control I have within the system. For me, this was a huge selling point.

Cons

Nothing is perfect. Not even Bamboo. Although they have made great strides in enhancing some of their features, they're still not as robust as some other systems in some areas. However, as an administrator and an end-user, I do appreciate how they listen to feedback from their customers and it shows in their efforts to continuously improve their product. The only "con" that would make me reevaluate our relationship with Bamboo would be a drastic price increase without any new features to justify it.

JM

Jade M.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

BambooHR literally has everything our company requires.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience; hiring and tracking new employees was a breeze. We use Learning Management System (LMS) and integrating the two is straightforward. The app is useful for tracking time and work hours, especially since most of us work abroad. And security is top notch. We store people's information here, and we like how BambooHR performs security checks and locks on its own when you are not in front of your computer.

Pros

We previously used Time Doctor to track our time and for payroll. However, as the company expanded. We want a system that allows us to track all employees from their assessment/ job application to their onboarding. We can even send new hire packets to get them prepared for the job. This includes what they needed to do on their first day, what documents they needed to submit, and who they should contact. It's also easy to track time off request and UPTOs. BambooHR can also be integrated with LMS tools such as TalentLMS. As a user, the app is very useful; seeing your timesheet hours and pay period, as well as the payroll reminder, is a great feature.

Cons

The training section of BambooHR is a little complicated, and adding new training and categories is done alphabetically. As a result, having your own training roadmap and guidelines causes everything to become jumbled. When we asked their support team for help in resolving the issue, they were able to help us by manually assigning a number to each category. Another thing is, marking each training category as complete must be done one at a time. It takes a lot of effort, but it works.

MF

Mikayla F.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

I Love BambooHR

Overall, I love BambooHR and would recommend it to any small to medium-sized company that is looking for a simple solution to connecting and managing their workforce.

Pros

The best thing about BambooHR is how user-friendly it is for all of our employees. The interface is so efficient which limits the amount of time we spend training new employees on the software. I also love the level of support we receive from BambooHR when we need it. Their customer service is top-tier!

Cons

Although we have seen Bamboo grow and adapt in many ways over the years, there are still features that we'd love to see come to life. I appreciate the ability to suggest new product developments, but I sometimes feel limited when it comes to exit interviews and report customization.

BT

Beth T.

Construction,

We love BambooHR and the customization possibilities it provides!

Pros

I did a lot of research on HRIS before choosing BambooHR. For those thinking about using BambooHR, really look at how your structure is set up and how you want it to work when the product goes live. For example, we have two divisions in two different locations. Both divisions are very unique and what one division needed the other did not. Getting this figured out before implementation will help...

Cons

Like any product, the more you use it, the easier it seems. There were kinks to work out when we first went live. Permissions, setting up employee fields and email alerts all needed some tweeking, but again, the system and BambooHR support was great getting through the learning curve. I did opt to go with Maxwell health for the online health care enrollment piece and I have been live with BambooHR since January 2016 and I am still not live with Maxwell Health and do not know when I will be, so if you are thinking of that option, I would really look into other options as it does not seem to be as responsive or as dynamic as BambooHR despite what the sales pitch shows.

CA

Christina A.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

Middle of the road software that needs improvement

We are currently researching other HR software. I'm not sure which is better, software that contains the modules needed with obvious and crippling flaws or software that is easy to use both by admin and employees with limited modules.

Pros

The idea of on-boarding a new employee electronically is a huge plus. It engages employees before they start and makes it so that they come in with paperwork already filled out and spend their first day doing more than just paperwork. Most of the framework is in place, but EACH area needs improvement, both in the functionality for administration and the ease of use for employees. The sections offered are vital, but aren't complete.

Cons

The benefits area is lacking a lot of common sense tools - like the ability to attach plan documents to an insurance plan (only a link can be used), display plan cost information to an employee BEFORE they sign up (the pricing is only available AFTER they sign up and become eligible). Many things like this create double the amount of work for the administrator. The actual on-boarding process was a...

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Bamboo HR keeps me sane and in compliance.

Pros

I am not an HR professional, I am a nonprofit executive Director and an organization that grew from one staff to 20 in about a year and a half. I don’t really know what I’m doing often. Human resources is one of those things that i could not justify hiring for. We have a board member who is an HR professional, and two lawyers on our board, so if things did get crazy, I knew I had people to keep me...

Cons

Bamboo is a little spendy, but honestly you can’t afford not to invest in it.

DN

David N.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

They understand and support customers

Extremely receptive, understanding company, who want to support HR and provide easy-to-use, clear tools for daily HR tasks. They even educate the HR company through their annual virtual summit, which has become one of the very best as they know the most relevant topics and attract the best speakers ... and it's free to register.

Pros

I found BambooHR very easy to set up, with a very clear, clean interface, a great mobile app and very easy to use for the employees. I am very impressed with the ease with which I was able to set up time-off policies and performance management, and the applicant tracking system is simple and collaborative. A great strength of Bamboo is the customer service - everybody I have spoken to is communicative, responsive, helpful, knowledgable - they seem to genuinely want to help. Their help documentation is very good and they keep clients up to date monthly with product developments and tips via video. Setting up forms for e-signature is awesome, and the newly introduced COVID tracker and storage of information has sensibly (and for legal reasons) been separated from other HR files.

Cons

I'd like to see more flexibility in creating sub-folders for file storage, and integrations with more payroll providers and the time-tracking could use a little more development, but I do like that Bamboo continues to improve in all these aspects and that stops me jumping ship even when there are limitations.