Hotjar Logo

Hotjar

Digital experience insights for any business selling online.

Hotjar Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.76/10

Reviews by rating

Hotjar is reliable and is the best at what it does. There are other options to help record app sessions, but HotJar continues to do what it does best.
UX plays a very important role for performance marketing and Hotjar is a brilliant tool which helps in collecting user behaviour data to do analysis and take corrective measures.
This is a fantastic way to understand how users are engaging with your site. I am a big fan of Hotjar and the approach to marketing insights.
This is problem because when a user messages us with a problem and we want to view how he used our website right away, we can't confirm his actions right then and there, only after a few hours.
I was unsatisfied with other Heatmapping and recording software.
Session recordings could have more filtering options and auto detection of rage clicks and ux issues. Unfortunately this tool can slow down your page load.

TA

Trevor A.

Product Owner, CRO Services

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Must have for qualitative research

Transcript

Trevor: Hi, my name's Trevor, I'm a senior manager in the software industry. I'm here reviewing Hotjar,...

Josh A.

CMO

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Hotjar is solid and keeps leading the pack

Transcript

Josh: I'm Josh, CMO and Co-Founder. I'm reviewing HotJar and I would give HotJar a rating of four. For...

Brent J.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Awesome for user recordings and heat-maps

The tool is really helpful to better understand your user's experience.

Pros

The insights we got from Hotjar were instantly used by our team. We understood our user's journey and pain points better after reviewing the heatmaps and screen recordings.

Cons

It's fairly expensive. We operate 16 different websites and we only have Hotjar setup on one of the brands because of the cost.

Hey Brent So happy to hear that you found instant value with Hotjar and that it helped you to understand the user's journey better. You are right - once you know the pain points, you can address them a lot easier! With regards to pricing, perhaps it might be better for you to be on a plan that caters for more than 1 site? Do you want to email support@hotjar.com or submit your query here> https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000665794&pricingagencies and we can see if we can help suggest a better option for you? Hope this helps! Thanks so much again for your kind review. Bee @ Hotjar

NA

Nathan A.

Chemicals, 201-500 employees

Great tool for visitor tracking

Overall, easy to use and start collecting data. I'd use it again if I ever changed companies.

Pros

Very easy to set up tracking code, create heat maps, and start visit recordings. The analytics are easy to understand (clicks, cursor movements, and scrolling).

Cons

There's really not much to complain about. It is a bit of a pain to constantly restart recordings or create a new heatmap, but Hotjar has recently announced that recordings will now be continuous. A big improvement!

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Good heatmap and user click tracking

Overall, it provides valuable heatmap and users interaction tracking so we can optimized SEO. It stil is a little creepy though

Pros

It does what it is supposed to do. It shows where users are clicking on your site and gives good detailed information on how users interact with your site.

Cons

It is a little creepy and any active tracking makes the site a little slower. Some users feel their privacy is violated and report it.

Hey there, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us, we appreciate it! We're glad to hear you're getting useful insights from Hotjar. Just wanting to follow up your feedback about Hotjar 'being creepy' and your users feeling their privacy is being violated. While we can't give you legal advice, we recommend telling your users what Hotjar data is really meant for, which is improving their...

IN

Isaiah N.

Accounting, 501-1,000 employees

The Hotjar review

It has been awesome as i have been able to collect feedback and improve my department in my company.

Pros

It enables me to check analytics of the surveys i put up thereby enabling me to collect feedback on areas that i feel need changes

Cons

Their customer support is slow and takes a long time to respond to customers

VH

Ville H.

Logistics and Supply Chain, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Good software for creating surveys and monitoring customer satisfaction

My overall experience is good. Hotjar really helped in following customer satisfaction and creating surveys.

Pros

Hotjar was great for our company because it was simple to integrate into our user platform. This made it easy for customers to give feedback on our services whenever they wanted to. In addition, it was an excellent tool for creating surveys.

Cons

At first, Hotjar was not that easy to use. I took time to learn how to use the software. Furthermore, it lacks some features for the creation and design of surveys.

Aris G.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Best Analytics Software

We use hotjar as a "testing" tool. We test our users and make the necessary changes to increase our sales. We monitor our user's actions, we learn and understand what people don't like, don't understand, what confuses them, what makes them leave, what they like and prefer and we adjust the interface, the products, the banners, the layout. It's cool!

Pros

We love the funnel feature where I can setup funnels to track the conversions and drop-offs. Our whole business is based on sales funnels and Hotjar makes it very very easy to track users through our pages. The fact that we can later watch in a video our users activity is priceless. Device splitting is very useful because we can monitor all user's movement and make the proper changes.

Cons

I've got nothing to comment here. Their free plan is very good and we know that many of our customers don't upgrade to paid plans because of that. The only thing I want to suggest users with shared hosting, if they have high traffic website, it may slow down the page load and it would be nice to upgrade to bigger server.

Lucas P.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

Freemium level features offer great visitor insights

My primary use of HotJar is the click tracking and scroll depth features. I'll occasionally use the visitor recording feature. These reports alone provide invaluable information for my web clients to get an idea of how effective their sites are in generating conversions. The surprise benefits of the click tracking is that we can see where people are clicking on spots that are not actually intended to be and I can adjust the UI design to downplay those areas to create a better user experience. The scroll depth gives me a better handle on what important information is not being reached by visitors and helps me decide how to best move that information further up the page stack to ensure that visitors see what we need them to see.

Pros

Easy to deploy tracking script to sites Async loading doesn't impact user experience Reports are easy to read and can be shared with clients Free tier provides more-than-adequate reporting for most small businesses

Cons

I can't actually say anything bad about the pricing structure, the admin panel, or the product quality they deliver. If you're a small business looking to get insights about your visitors' habits, this is an awesome free tool.

Hi Lucas, Thanks very much for the comprehensive review. It's great to hear that you find Hotjar easy-to-use and you're getting valuable insights about your visitors' habits. I'd like to offer you a small thank you from Hotjar for taking the time to review our software - please reach out to me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com. Cheers, Mike from Hotjar

Noemí M.

Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

One of the best

Pros

Perfect for understanding how visitors are interacting with your website in real-time. You can see what pages they visit, where they click, and even record their mouse movements. Invaluable insights for improving the user experience and increase the CR.

Cons

There no intrinsic con to the platform but time itself. Time to analyze all the data and insights that you could extract. Usually we over estimate the time dedicated and the efforts that we will put in tools like this one. So, usually they went under-used.

Pedro A.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Best tool to find bugs and pain points in your site

Pros

- Session Recordings - This really lets us know what are bugs and pain points in your site and having the timeline displaying tips were those actions were made is awsome (F.e, you can see in the timeline when the prospect is frustrated);- Heatmaps - This is very important to get an overall page knowing about what your prospects are clicking and looking

Cons

The analysis can be very qualitative. I wanted to see more numbers, especially with the revolution of AI

MS

Marco S.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Amazing tool for website strategy

Overall, the experience with the software was positive. Although it is a bit complex to use, it has excellent features.

Pros

It was the best tool I've ever used to study the behavior of website users. It allows you to obtain incredible insights for the strategic management of websites.

Cons

It is not very easy to use or configure. In terms of learning, it requires some time.

RF

Robert F.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Revenue First not Customer First Driven Company

Pros

The support team and user interface of Hotjar are first in class. Over the last 5 years I have seen the product grow to become an industry leader. It is easy to implement and execute on the insights gained with Hotjar. I used full hearty recommended this product to everyone I have met.

Cons

On November 25th, their pricing policy update also impacted us legacy account holders. It used to be that you paid per Organization. Ie if your Organization had 4 sites you would be pay for 1 account. Also if you were a old customer you maintained your original terms. However with the move to Billing v2, it is now changed to per site and new terms. What does this mean, a minimum price increase of 400%....

EB

Eliel B.

Almost a Must

Almost perfect, found some bugs while using it, but always had a good response from the customer team.

Pros

Hotjar is a tool that almost every optimizer or ux designer should use, no doubts. Is easy to use, cheap, and besides the famous heatmaps it has a lot of other functions like polls or user recordings. Also, the sharing function is great as you can share results with members of your organization that dont have an account.

Cons

Lacks some integrations with other tools. For example with Google Analytics, a very useful function would be showing the Events on the heatmap.

Hi Eliel, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you have had such a positive experience using Hotjar and dealing with our team. A Google Analytics integration is something we're working on but it will take some time before it's available. In the meantime, we have recently launched a Google Optimize integration that you might want to check out: https://www.hotjar.com/updates/en/hotjar-x-google-optimize-compare-user-behavior-in-your-experiment-variants- I'd like to send you a small thank-you for your review. If you get in touch at mike.cullen@hotjar.com, I'll let you know the details. Thanks, Mike

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Sheer brilliance at work

It is an amazing thing to watch the recordings of the user's that Hotjar captures and consolidates.

Pros

- Can actually record user's sessions and accurately identify the same user who is using the site/app after a certain duration - The dashboard is seamless. - Allows categorization based on events and tags.

Cons

- Sometimes, when trying to hide the private information of a customer, it went overboard and aggressively hid a lot of information which was part of the app itself and not the customer's data. This led us to not have an accurate depiction of the app state for the customer.

Hey there, thanks for the review! Super to hear you're getting a lot of value from Hotjar :) Following up your feedback on suppressing page elements... have you already checked this resource on suppression? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012439167-How-to-Suppress-Elements-and-Images-from-Data Hope that's helpful - it shouldn't be the case that the stuff you want to be able to see gets suppressed as well. If we can help please let us know! The team is available at support@hotjar.com. Thanks again, Alex from the Hotjar team

LF

Liam F.

I was a longtime Hotjar using before switching to Microsoft Clarity

Pros

Hotjar was the first of its kind for me, opened up new doors and enabled me to gather data I couldn't previously get. I used it religiously on every single website I setup for clients and even personal websites, it was the best tool I found.

Cons

Microsoft Clarity came along, offering the same features, for free. I wanted to stay with Hotjar as they'd always worked to improve their tool and the team were brilliant if I ever needed anything or had any questions but ultimately there wasn't much to differentiate Hotjar and Clarity so I decided the cost wasn't worth it for me.

Airlines/Aviation, 51-200 employees

If you need help understanding your users, this is the app!

I LOVE IT! Helped us find how users are looking at our website and what they find important. Super useful too.

Pros

Detailed heat maps and scroll maps that allow us to know what is working and what users are focusing on on our website. I also love the ability to view recordings and segment them by UTM. Makes it easier for us to see what's working and not working per marketing channel as well as how to fix inherent UX issues.

Cons

I wish they made heat maps that segment by marketing channel like Crazy Egg. We have both and it's kinda a lot of money for both. I also dislike how it's hard to get iframes to be seen in recordings and remove HTML elements that we don't want to see in maps such as cookie banners.

Hi there anon! Thank you so much for your kind words and your lovely review. So happy to see you are loving HJ generally and that it is helping you to fix issues for UX. This is great news! Heatmaps = segment by marketing channel. This would be great (i.e. If you could segment by referral/UTM URL you mean?). Likewise on your idea regarding removing HTML elements, very valid. I will put your ideas to the product team. Thanks again for your kind words and please do feel free to follow up with any issues or worries you might have via support@hotjar.com. Kind regards Bee @ Hotjar

Valentin B.

E-Learning, 201-500 employees

Hotjar a good heatmap

I have made some heatmaps for my website show-my-homework. I used these heatmaps to improve the website for the readers.

Pros

Years ago I had a website (show-my-homework) that was taken from me with force. I am Romanian and in Romania no matter what you work, the authorities will force you to surrender your wealth and work to those that use the muscles and not the brain. I worked to this website for 5 years and 2 years I had on this website hotjar. Hotjar was saying to me who comes to my website, who reads my website, who wanted to learn, who clicks etc. Hotjar is very good and I love Hotjar for this.

Cons

To make a heatmap with hotjar you have to wait for 1 day. This is not good, but after 1 day you will have a very good heat map. I do not love hotjar because you have to pay good money if you use it for 2 weeks :)

Hi Valentin, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your website, but glad that you had a good experience using Hotjar to understand your users. I'd like to send you a small thank-you from us for your review. You can reach me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com and I'll share the details. Cheers, Mike

BS

Ben S.

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

Great UX Tool

We use HotJar to run UX tests on our site. We've used it a lot for testing out new buttons or new navigation features.

Pros

We love running heatmap tests of pages whenever we make changes to our website. We compare these tests to former versions that we've ran. Heatmaps offer amazing insight to where the user clicks, scrolls, or mouses over. This gives you a good idea on how the user interacts with your site.

Cons

Limited functionality unless you upgrade to the top tier account. We also aren't able to track our interactive experiences. I also wish the recordings had more filterable options so you could find specific experiences.

Hi Ben, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. We're happy to hear that you're getting a lot of value out of our Heatmaps tool. Your feedback on plans, tracking of interactive experiences, and filtering of recordings is very helpful, too. If you would like to provide more detail about what you would like to see improved, you can do so under 'Suggest a Feature' from within your Hotjar account. If you reach out to me directly [mike.cullen@hotjar.com], I'd like to send you a little something as a thank you for your review. Cheers, Mike

LR

Luca R.

Online Media, 1-10 employees

Hotjar-A guarantee of quality

Pros

Hotjar is incredibly easy to setup. The learning curve is basically flat. The product is cheap and has a great free version.

Cons

It can slow down your website without you noticing it. Look at Google Developer Tools, the time to interactive value.

Hey there Luca, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it! Brilliant to hear you find the tool easy to use. Following up your feedback on site speed - have you had a look at this resource? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- On average the initialization of Hotjar has a minimal impact on the page being usable (around 0.01 seconds) and adds around 0.3 seconds to the overall page completion. In the article I link above we also dive into some more factors to consider about speed testing. Most importantly - we'd love to help if you're finding this is causing any issues at all! :) The team is available at support@hotjar.com. All best, Alex

JL

Justin L.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Wow, What a Product!

Within an hour of integrating it into our site and CRM (which took only minutes), we were getting recordings of user visits and heat maps, greatly increasing our ability to quickly improve the performance of our website and marketing campaigns.

Pros

What DON'T I like about this software is more like it. I'm blown away that there's not more reviews for HotJar and am very happy to have spotted this opportunity to give them some love. HotJar is easily the best value-to-price behavior mapping software of its kind, and I've used and shopped for several of them. That pretty much sums it up. From heat mapping to visitor recordings to polling functionality, I simply haven't had to look for another solution since I found it, and it is much more cost-effective than its competitors. Its integrations that we have implemented have worked splendidly, as well. 5 stars, hands down.

Cons

I'm only listing "cons" because I have to to submit this review. Some of its user interface wasn't completely intuitive to me at first but I overcame it quickly and don't think it's fair to expect every software program to not come with a little bit of a learning curve. Within a couple of days I was navigating it fluidly.

Jessie B.

Internet, 201-500 employees

Essential app for web testing and user research

It's been crucial in giving us clarity in how people interact with our website, whether or not they're seeing essential pieces of content, and make design decisions based on that data.

Pros

We switched from CrazyEgg to Hotjar over a year ago, and haven't looked back. At the time, CrazyEgg didn't offer user videos (videos of people using our website) and Hotjar did, so we switched over. What I love most about Hotjar is that it's not just providing insights about how our users click and scroll via heatmaps, but I can gather more qualitative data by setting up polls or video recordings as well. The "share this heatmap" feature (where I can get a unique link to a heatmap that I can share with anyone on my team -- regardless of if they have access to Hotjar or not) is super handy as well. It helps me collaborate with our user researchers or send data to other teams (I sit on the web marketing team) when I find insights that they'd find valuable.

Cons

I wish I could have more flexibility with the design and branding of the polls. The few times I've added one to our website, it looks a little frankenstein-y in comparison to the rest of our design.

Medical Devices, 11-50 employees

Great Way to Track Website Activity!

Overall great experience! Really helps us see the functionality of our website through the eyes of the user.

Pros

Kind of crazy there's a service that exists that literally captures video of the user's time on your website! It's like a video recording of each session. We can see exactly where the mouse goes, and which landing pages they're going to, and where they last are before leaving our site

Cons

Wish the recording gave us more info on the user. I know that's probably a violation of privacy, but it would be cool! That way we could reach out to them directly to see if they had any questions or needed help finding the right product

AN

Amit N.

Internet, 501-1,000 employees

User friendly and affordable

I've been using it for years now, I love it, it's affordable and very easy to implement on multiple websites as well.

Pros

That it's simple and easy to use, implementation literally takes a minute. The great thing is that you have so many tools in one place, heatmaps, recordings, surveys and more.

Cons

Sometimes when you generate a heatmap of a long page, the screenshot preview gets cut in the middle and you can't really see data of the lower parts.

Karen H.

Design, self-employed

Helps you improve website conversions

My experience has been great I have been able to identify opportunities and create solutions that work best for my business. Plus it helps me see what areas of my website are important to users. So they can get the most helpful information they need.

Pros

Hotjar is great software to help you maximize results for your website. You can set up heatmaps to see what the high performing areas of your website are. Ask users questions as they cruise your website, plus more!

Cons

So far I have no cons its a pretty straightforward program and the free options work great for any user.

Mithil P.

Consumer Services, 11-50 employees

An effective tool for monitor your website's content and more!

I have been using HotJar in all my website projects to monitor user browsing activity.

Pros

I like the fact that this platform is easy to use and has a freemium offering. This provides a great ROI for us.

Cons

Customer support and implementation guidebooks are not that great and can be better highlighted. Also, I don't see any notifications about product updates and the latest trends.

Carlos I.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Hotjar - Heatmaps Software Review

I've used 3 heatmap software using my own server and cloud hosted, but Hotjar is the best by far. The one i used that is server hosted gets a warning from services like Google Ads and Google Tag Manager.

Pros

Heatmaps, user recordings and polls are very easy to set up once your code is installed. By the way i recommend you install the tracking code using Google Tag manager which has a tag ready for hotjar, you only need to input your ID. Heatmaps are very useful when it comes to understand user behaviour and user experience. Also this software does not generate any warning from advertising networks and is 100% compliant with GDPR.

Cons

It automatically does not track 100% of traffic (but i think you can set up to track 100% traffic). Also sometimes is hard to go to see your settings if you have multiple business (eg: if you are and agency and your setting up heatmaps for your clients).