Knack Logo

We help everyday innovators to create custom, no-code apps.

Knack Reviews

Suggested alternatives

caspio
zoho-creator
kintone

Knack has a good user interface and is a lower price point for databases of this type. They have very good service and the online chat help is excellent.
However, Knack won the day based on the fact that it is more intuitive to figure out (I needed very little help), super fast to edit and view the results and capable of doing so much.
One more point can easily be gained by paying attention to the community, which are the fans of their business. The other point can be gained by adding better standard features and design features.
I have also had records that should have been deleted not be deleted. I have put my own stop checks into the app and have not had any corrupted data as of yet, but the issues I've had do concern me.
However, Knack has always been online, and the issues we have had were mostly attributable to user errors.

josh P.

Head of Sales and Marketing

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees

Makes building apps look easy!

Transcript

Speaker 1: My name is Josh. I'm a digital manager. I'd give Knack a five out of five. For more reviews,...

Andy O.

Google Street View Trusted Photographer

Internet, self-employed

Great Database Development Tool for Non-Coders

Transcript

Andy O.: My name is Andy and I'm the owner of a business automation company. And I give Knack a four...

Mike D.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Super easy and fast

I was looking for an cloud based application that could allow me to build a database in the cloud and present that data securely to users over the web for viewing and editing. I tried out Caspio, Ragic, Airtable and AgileApps also during the process of picking an application. The only other provider that I like was Caspio- they have a ton of features and can be used fairly easily to build business...

Pros

Super easy to get going (it is the most intuitive interface). Price by number of apps instead of by user works well with our company. Powerful features including, for instance, users logging in by their Google+ or Facebook profile (single sign on). I have not run into any bugs.

Cons

You can't adjust the presentation layer (the website) as much as, say, Caspio. You can change some things like colors and basic layout, but most of the CSS is fixed. Their formulas are very weak. They only allow basic functions, especially for manipulating text. For formulas, I found Airtable to be much better.

Hi Mike, thanks for the great review! We take a lot of pride in our support so we always love to hear that it makes a difference. We also have a major formula upgrade coming in the next few weeks!

HS

Holly S.

Sports, 51-200 employees

Just what I needed

Pros

This is Everything I need from a database & simple interface builder. I took a long time evaluating existing products for my business programs to no avail, and decided I needed custom solutions. As a nonprofit I know we couldn't afford paying someone to do it so I took it upon myself to research options & move forward. Knack was my first intro to "no code" cloud app builder and I love it. I check around every 6 months or so to see what competition is out there, I've yet to find anything I enjoy using quite as much.

Cons

That apps cannot integrate / stay in sync. It's going to take a lot of extra work to integrate all my company's apps, as it is not feasible for all our programs / branches to use one app, and some information needs to be in sync across all apps. I just know by the time I've finally done it, they will have built in the feature / option...

KW

Kevin W.

1-10 employees

Useful but full of problems

Pros

Easy to create web-based apps. Can achieve a variety of tasks using 3rd party tools. You can embed your app in your website.

Cons

The interface is slow and limited. Can be quite clunky and frustrating and trying to work out how to achieve something with the help of Zapier. Customer support stinks. No one is ever able to sort any issues and if you make the slightest mistake or accidental you could break the whole app and be needing a backup which they charge , they quote 1-3 hours usually and takes 3-5 working days so not particularly...

Bernardo G.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Use carefully, as good as you are

Pros

Its highly customizable and you can adapt it to fit whatever your company needs might be. Be it just a simple data base, a team management software or something else. Its great for large sets of data, but needs you to be smart and data savy.

Cons

Its not always great when using outside the US. The smartphone view is close to impossible to work with.

Mark W.

Great Low Code Solution

I have been able to build multiple application to help run my business from CRMs to project management solutions. The builder is easy to use and has a lot of features. There is a job board if you need a larger application too. And the pricing model is excellent, much better than some of its competitors.

Pros

Power, capability and ease of use

Cons

Would like more form layout capabilities

CP

Christina P.

Building Materials, 1-10 employees

Great Product, Trouble with Stability of Platform

Overall, I think this is a strong product but still has bugs to work out and functionality to be added. However, it is still one of the best of this type of product.

Pros

Incredible product for building databases/order systems for small organizations. Functionality is substantial.

Cons

The lack of support and the turn around time for support is difficult. For companies that use as an integral part of their business it is risky for an ordering system, etc... Also, having problems with the rules and parameters disappearing randomly on forms has been a problem for my organization.

Brett W.

Program Development, 51-200 employees

great online database

We have an employee base that covers the United States. Before we used the Knack software we had each person filling out individual Excel spreadsheets. We would then have to manually combine these spreadsheets to get information from the entire sales force. With the Knack software we are able to allow our employees to log the information into the Knack site and we now have access to the full information quickly and easily.

Pros

The Knack software is easy to use to set up forms and pages to collect information online.

Cons

The software can take a little getting used to when you first start out. I would think this is normal for any advanced system like this.

JB

JAIME B.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Good value for a low code platform.

I am using it for my EduTech startup and it enabled me to launch the company fast and with no much coding experience.

Pros

I like Knack does not charge per user. Also, it includes most of the features that you would need is a common business application (CRM, ERP, etc.). Low-code programming workflow is easy.

Cons

No a great user community around the software. Knack should promote more user interaction. Also it should produce more education content.

JF

Jørgen F.

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

Reasonably priced and easy to use database software

Using Knack for making a customized ERP for my business. Used for database, forms, checklists, timesheets, CRM, service dispatch and more.

Pros

Very simple and quick to create tables and connections. Good selection of functions. Reasonably priced. Good API and intergration with Zapier.

Cons

A few small bugs and some missing features. Could have been better interface for tablets and mobile devices.

Facilities Services, 10,001+ employees

Knack

Pros

Very easy to customize. A lot of great features.

Cons

It can be slow and lag. The mobile versus the web version is quite different.

RS

Robert S.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Best Database Platform Out There

After listening to vendors with my company for weeks, I had enough. Every system that was pitched for our needs was either ugly, or inflexible, and not all that infrequently, both. I began my search for online database platform technology and quickly found Knack among a few other competitors. What set Knack apart was the appearance of the software. I am of the believe that a product is worthless if no one ever wants to look at it, and Knack stunned me. It was a clean, crisp, interactive set of user interfaces that quickly led to live database views. I set up the trial, and was sold.

Pros

Intuitive design! It just makes sense from the get-go, even if you have little understanding of relational databases, with a bit of light reading of Knack's thorough documentation, it's not difficult to get going.

Cons

Definitely the way the front end views of your database operate in a mobile device. Some of the feature's are basically unusable, and if your user's are going to use a mobile device, you really have to keep that in mind when developing the database's UIs or you can end up with a bit of a mess.

LM

Laurent M.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Simple, affordable, and efficient software for data entry and client file management

It did better than I hope for cheaper than I thought. I am tech-savy but not a programmer by any means and yet I was able to quickly set up a full environment and interface.

Pros

Simple but solid interface. Customizable and overall good looking interface for the user, very decent pricing, great tutorials and models.

Cons

More customizing options would be great, especially for formatting texts.When using calendars, each appointment counts as 1 record, so it adds up pretty fast.

CB

Chris B.

Staffing and Recruiting, 11-50 employees

Easiest platform for developing a customized work system the code-less way

Knack connects up to so many other 3rd party apps through Zapier that the options are potentially limitless. We've been able to cancel our SalesForce subscription and came up with your own custom CRM using Knack. It's affordable, the support is great and it's feature rich.

Pros

Easy to get up and running on. Quickly map out data elements and connect to layout without having to code Javascript. If you do know Javascript, you can customize the workflow and experience even more.

Cons

There are no additional web themes without paying a developer to customize.

Very Disappointed

Pros

Look of the app is very nice. The "Builder" they have come up with is innovative, not your normal database building tool. It takes some getting used to. There are some limitations to it, that other databases don't have.

Cons

Very poor customer support, if you are on the lowest plan. They will not pick up the phone and call you, nor can you call them. They claim a response time of between 24 and 48 hours....not true. I am now having support requests unanswered for 4 days. Their blog and self-help support site are very poor. There is no main office or phone number, they all work from their homes across the US. Apparently, they don't have titles and they think it's funny to post pictures of themselves on their website with funny made up titles in the organization. This organization needs to grow up and get serious. I will terminate my plan with them and ask for a full refund if things don't improve dramatically in the next day or two.

Staffing and Recruiting, 11-50 employees

Easy to use, fast to build with, would highly recommend

We used this platform to build out a software product we wanted to offer to our customers. We used one of their partners and the whole process was amazingly fast and simple and cost about 10% of what it would have done if we had tried to code a solution.

Pros

EU hosting Pricing not set on a per client level. Easy to build with and deploy.

Cons

Some of their competitors have a wider feature set.

201-500 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Wonderful!

Pros

Ability to customize databases; real-time updates; many template options to choose from; customer service is excellent. I've used this several times for an annual holiday website. Our users were so impressed and became repeat donors.

Cons

customer service agent and his staff were very helpful as I extensively redesigned a template to serve our varied needs. I have been very satisfied and think the only confusion I ran into is customized differences between mobile and website versions.

HZ

Han Z.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Knack helps us deliver great customer service

This software has enabled my company to increase customer service by embedding databases in our website and thus allowing our customers to look up complicated information in an easy way.

Pros

Its easy of use (the team that build our databases are no experts at all!), and the fact we can embed the databases in our website.

Cons

To create a multi-level navigation menu with the current feature set, we need to apply some work arounds to make it do what we want.

NT

Nicholas T.

Medical Devices, 1-10 employees

relatively inexpensive, powerful database app

Their customer service is exceptional and the user forums are also very helpful in answering questions and solving problems.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the built in relational flexibility Knack offers. When creating objects you are able to build in the relationships to other objects intuitively, and then when building the app itself, it remembers these relations to create the relationship that is most useful.

Cons

Missing are the complete lack of drag and dropping of "views", also not easily customizable to change fonts, headings, colors, etc. This must be done through CSS and/or Java Script programming.

JH

Jacob H.

Legal Services,

best online database app out there

When I discovered our previous online database system was closing its doors I started searching for a replacement. I signed up for every free demo for every online database program I could find. After a year and half of searching and demo-ing other programs I found Knack. It is an awesome product. I have very happy with the intuitive build interface. One of the biggest reasons I went with Knack was the the pricing structure. Don't waste your time with any other online database out there like I did.

Pros

- pricing model - ease of use - mobile device friendly (no mobile apps needed) - powerful - responsive support team

Cons

- a few, very minor bugs here and there, but let them know what you find and they will fix it - relatively newer company so future is a little unsure (compared to other more established competitors)

EF

Eric F.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Excellent tool for non-technical process managers

Exceptionally pleased with the SaaS product

Pros

Very quick to develop applications by non-technical people

Cons

Supports one-by-one processing of cases. Not very good at bulk processing a subset of cases on demand.

JS

John S.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Knack 2016

Knack has been a useful product. I find it to be helpful to small and medium-sized clients who want a database without the high price tag.

Pros

Cons

I have found that we need developers to do work that I would not call high level but this assistance does ramp up the relatively low cost of the product. This happens with almost every database, but I was hoping Knack would be different.

cp

cyrille p.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Trying to implement a product quoting system

I love most of everything

Pros

Database management very simple for dependencies

Cons

Stuck with implementing some javascript functions not enough info on that

BL

Brandon L.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Extremely Satisfied

Very satisfied new user

Pros

Ease of use for people without IT/database creation backgrounds. Prompt global support.

Cons

Additional currencies for ecommerce functionality/fields

CC

Christian C.

Simple To Use

The future of database creation. Started testing in Dec. 2013 fully function complex app being used companywide late January 2014. All created by a non-database real estate broker.

Pros

App Creation User Friendly No need to hire IT Do it Yourself Great support when I had questions (which were few)

Cons

Can't find a single one.

DL

Derek L.

Great. Knack did exactly what I wanted.

Pros

It allowed me to easily customize a website to allow multiple users to enter information without having a pay account.

Cons

You have to program yourself. I'm not the most technical person so this takes some time. Only training will help.